PDA

View Full Version : The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Dark Knight
08-30-2005, 07:43 AM
Here is a link to several organizations helping the victims of Hurricane Katarina, including PETS!

http://www.networkforgood.org/topics/animal_environ/hurricanes/?source=YAHOO&cmpgn=NEWS

Pass it along to others who might wish to help, as well.

Anngelique
08-30-2005, 02:56 PM
They are going to need lots and lots of help! :blowkiss:

NK57
08-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks DK. I stopped by our local Red Cross today. They are recommending cash donations. If you can't give cash, they would love some of your time to field phone calls and to coordinate how your local RC will be getting the supplies to the victims. They are in disaster mode and would welcome any and all help.

Nancy

Anngelique
08-30-2005, 06:11 PM
They said on the news too, they need money, money and more money!

tybee204
08-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Cities all across the South are sheltering familes that have evacuated. Many left with only the clothes on their backs. There are calls for clothing, bedding, toilet paper, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, diapers etc. Many of the local churchs are asking for donations of this sort. They are meeting the basic needs untill the Red Cross and Fema can generate their paperwork. Your local Churchs may be taking these items to send to their sister Churchs in the South.

Details
08-30-2005, 10:52 PM
They really need those donations, but unfortunately you have to be careful: every time there is a tragedy like this, there are always vultures trying to profit by getting people to donate money to them, under the guise of a charity - they keep the money for themselves. Make sure you know the charity is valid. Red Cross is good, but a wonderful sounding pitch from a church you don't go to may be a scammer.

tybee204
08-30-2005, 10:54 PM
LOL if someone is so desperate to scam me for toilet paper they can have it.

CherokeeKid
08-31-2005, 12:06 AM
Greta was reporting about the devastation, Hurricane Katrina caused. She mentioned some very useful info:

For Help and Donations,
please contact the Red Cross:

1-800-HELP-NOW

For Help to Find Lost Ones:
(Family, Relatives, Friends...)

1-866-GET-INFO

www.Gulfcoastnews.com (http://www.Gulfcoastnews.com)

CherokeeKid
08-31-2005, 12:09 AM
A Plea for Help from Governor Dean:

This week millions of Americans fled Hurricane Katrina. Across the South families abandoned their homes and businesses, not knowing what would be there when they returned.

Many stayed behind and suffered devastating loss and injuries -- nearly a hundred have died that we know of, and hundreds of thousands need our help.

America is at its best when we realize that we are one community -- that we're all in this together. That means that each one of us has the responsibility to do what we can to help the relief effort.

The Red Cross is a great place to start:

http://www.redcross.org (http://www.redcross.org)

They are already moving people and resources into the region to help. Donations will provide clean water, food, and shelter for disaster victims. The Red Cross web site also has important information for victims and their relatives across the country.

Many local Red Cross chapters are organizing volunteers to travel to affected areas -- doctors and nurses to provide medical care, workers to build shelters, first responders to assist in rescue operations.

You can find your local chapter here to learn what you can do:

http://www.redcross.org/where/chapts.asp (http://www.redcross.org/where/chapts.asp)

We are still learning the full story of the devastation, but there is no time to wait. Please do something now.

Thank you.
Governor Howard Dean, M.D.

CherokeeKid
08-31-2005, 12:14 AM
And to help the poor Animals effected by Katrina:

Humane Society of the United States
DISASTER STRIKES: HSUS Mobilizes to Save Animals
https://secure.hsus.org/01/katrina_relief/nepz0p_M19RtL (https://secure.hsus.org/01/katrina_relief/nepz0p_M19RtL)?

<P>In response to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina
yesterday, The Humane Society of the United States has launched
a massive relief effort to rescue animals and assist their
caregivers in the disaster areas.
<p>

Even as you read this, our highly-trained Disaster Animal
Response Teams are heading to Mississippi to begin a multi-state
animal rescue and recovery effort. Our 38-foot Disaster Response
Unit and other rescue vehicles affiliated with our teams are
fully stocked and on their way.

Our entire relief effort is funded by donations from people like
you, and we desperately need your support. Please make an
emergency contribution to our Disaster Relief Fund today. Your
tax-deductible gift will be used exclusively for our disaster
animal relief work. Click here to make your gift:
https://secure.hsus.org/01/katrina_relief/nepz0p_M19RtL (https://secure.hsus.org/01/katrina_relief/nepz0p_M19RtL)?

Even at this early stage, Katrina promises to be one of the most
devastating hurricanes on record. Please keep the human and
animal victims in your thoughts, and please consider making an
emergency donation today to help our disaster relief teams save
as many stranded and injured animals as possible. My dedicated
corps of professionals and volunteers sends our gratitude as we
get set to enter the disaster zone.

Sincerely,

Laura Bevan
Incident Commander
HSUS National Disaster Animal Response Team
Florida Panhandle Staging Area

P.S. As the leader of our on-the-ground disaster relief efforts,
I can tell you first-hand that the difficult and dangerous task
of saving animals' lives in disaster situations is vital not
only to the animals, but to the people who love them, too. Any
support you can provide for our animal relief work is deeply
appreciated. Click here to make your contribution to the Humane
Society Disaster Relief Fund:

mic730
08-31-2005, 12:17 AM
Thx CK for this great info. :) :)
I made a donation to the Red Cross on Sunday before it hit and this devastation was known.
I may make another but I will surley send one to the animal rescue.
GREAT POST CK!

AZ_Veteran
08-31-2005, 12:21 AM
This is a real gut wrencher for me. I was in Homestead helping in the relief efforts the fourth day after hurricane Andrew hit in '92. People walking all over the streets, homeless with nothing but the shirt on their backs. Absolutely no buildings standing. That was more of a wind storm than Katrina, which was both wind, storm surge, and rain.

New Orleans probably will never be the same. If the water keeps rising, and it probably will, the entire French Quarter will be under 10' of water and destroyed. Bodies already floating in the streets, no idea how many people still stuck in their attics with still rising water. No electric anywhere in NO, no potable water unless it is brought in (can't do that yet), no sewer systems, a 50 inch diameter water main broken, levees at Lake Ponchartrain are compromised (broken), no food, 20,000 to 30,000 people in the Superdome and the water is rising and the toilets haven't been able to be flushed for two days, and the people have nothing !!!!!!!!!

I sent in my donations to the Red Cross and Salvation Army a few minutes ago. If it buys a few meals or some water, at least I feel that I have helped.

Dammit all anyway. Hate to see people suffering like that. Thanks for the thread.

mic730
08-31-2005, 12:33 AM
AZ Veteran it does not suprise that a vet would be one of the first to step up and make a donation!

CherokeeKid
08-31-2005, 12:36 AM
YW, Mic and AZ-Veteran.

I just made a donation to the Red Cross and to Human Society Animal Rescue.

This disaster I beyond what I could ever imagine. I'm so sad for all the people who lost their lives or loved ones. And for all the animals who got killed or lost of suffer! So very sad :(

But also for New Orleans. Especially the French Quater. My husband and I spent some time there when we travelled the USA. It will never be the same...

mic730
08-31-2005, 12:41 AM
The French Quarter - on of my fav places. I honeymooned there but spent some time there in college also.
The devastation is off the charts and I feel terrible for man and beast in the area.
As soon as the FQ is back up I plan a visit to shpw my support and love!

girasole
08-31-2005, 12:58 AM
Thanks CK. It's always important to contribute what we can.

Some former coworkers and I started a little group thru which we provide monies and goods to stricken peoples.
We began this in 1998 during the El Salvador floods, so let me suggest if anyone is thinking of sending something other than money, here are some good suggestions.

Toothpaste and brushes
Sanitary products
Disposable diapers
bar soap and wash cloths
talc and foot powder
plastic baggies (small and large)
mosquito repellent
paper towels and toilet paper
baby bottles and formula

Pet food (all types) check with your local vets

many of your local churches will take these things and send them on. Or contact your local town officials for more information

rollerbladr123
08-31-2005, 01:10 AM
Thanks CK for the links and everybody else for their postings; ARC is always the best to donate to under such situations IMO. The scale of this tragedy has just begun to unfold...

Dark Knight
08-31-2005, 02:06 AM
LOL! How true! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

lyon77
08-31-2005, 07:59 AM
On the Drudge report I read that 5 NAVY SHIPS and 8 MARITIME rescue ships are being sent to the region. This is truly a national disaster. God Bless America!!

Marthatex
08-31-2005, 08:03 AM
I have read that the best start is Red Cross. http://www.redcross.org

They are providing clean water, food and shelter

You can contact your local chapter also to volunteer; if you can't give cash

Salvation Army also. You need to be sure it is a reputable organization, as said above.

Judy2291
08-31-2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks CK for the reminder about pets. I've already sent donations through the Luthern Fund which I feel gets more actual money to the survivors. But, after watching the ARC's effort on TV today, I do need to send them something too. I am so blessed to have a job that pays me enough to help out a little. I don't mind giving up my non-essentials for a few months. So many of these people had so little, and even that is gone now.

Unfortunately, I think we are going to see more shootings, looting, and uprising within the next few days. This is a war like situation where civilization takes a back seat to people literally doing what is necessary to survive.

AZ_Veteran
08-31-2005, 10:16 AM
AZ Veteran it does not suprise that a vet would be one of the first to step up and make a donation!
Tks, Mic. I have seen so much human tragedy crap in my life, that a few bucks to maybe help others in trouble is really miniscule in my finances, and in the scheme of life.

mic730
08-31-2005, 11:15 AM
It was suggested last night on LKL that a crusie ship may be a good temp. shelter for these displaced victims of katrina. The Astrodome in Houston (GOD BLESS TEXANS and their kind hearts) must only be temporary.
Any ideas on if this cruse ship idea is viable? Before I start sending email to the cruise lines I thought I would see if it is even workable.
Hope it is ok to post this here!

anneoakley63
08-31-2005, 11:16 AM
All of my family is from Mississippi and still live there. They are 225 miles inland and will be without water and power for 3-4 weeks. I too donate to the Red Cross, but in addition, I am collecting water, non-perishable foods and batteries to deliver to my home county on Saturday. I have been told that the Red Cross will be working in the areas affected along the coast, so I'm doing what I can to help the ones who are so far inland. I've tried to get help from our local radion stations, but they won't even talk to me. All of us who have families affected by this storm truly appreciate all the help that others are giving. You'll never know how much it means. Thank you!

AZ_Veteran
08-31-2005, 11:17 AM
If any of you folks have loved ones who you cannot locate in the coastal areas, CNN has set up a website to coordinate and try to locate those individuals. Just send names, other personal info, pictures, contact phone#s, etc to:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2005/hurricanes/feedback/index.html

Massive Navy, Army, and Air Force equipment and personnel are being staged and deployed from Norfolk, Ft.Worth, and other locations. They are awaiting a "go ahead" from FEMA. The Navy will have landing ships (troop ships) that can run right into or onto the beach (Normandy style) to transport survivors to offshore warships and hospital ships. 50 rescue helicopters are ready to go from Ft. Worth. Superdome refugees and workers will be bussed from the Superdome to the Houston Astrodome as soon as the logistics are worked out.

Details
08-31-2005, 01:35 PM
And they need blood donations - you can donate blood pretty much anywhere in the USA, and it will be helpful.

englishleigh
08-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Catholic Relief Services is excellent, too. www.catholiccharities.com They have a fund set up for Katrina victims, and the areas hit hardest: New Orleans, Biloxi & Mobile, AL, are very, very Catholic areas.

ShowerSinger
08-31-2005, 02:18 PM
Here's an idea:
Why not relocate these victims to a base the military has closed? There are already single-family residences, barracks, even recreation, hospital, jail facilities. I know, as Fort McClellan in Alabama has already been closed, and most properties sit empty. It seems a logical solution, instead of some stadium. These people need some privacy, too.
What do you think?

amandab
08-31-2005, 02:22 PM
OMG ShowerSinger - what a brilliant idea!!

I say let the news media know.

Jules
08-31-2005, 02:27 PM
ShowerSinger - that's an awesome idea! Make some phone calls!

Anngelique
08-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Making safe hurricane donations
Aug 31, 2005, 1:25 PM

If you would like to make a donation to help victims of Hurricane Katrina, but are worried about scams..we have some tips that may help. If you get a call or e-mail about making a donation, check out the charity first. Some scammers use sound-alike names to fool you. So write down the name then check it by running it through the Better Business Bureau at www.give.org.

Or if you want the find out about the charity's finantial information check out www.guidestar.org or www.charitywatch.org from the American Institute of Philanthropy.

If you do decide to give money -- do so by check and make it out to the charity not the person asking for the donation.

http://kptv.com/global/Story.asp?s=3780557

ShowerSinger
08-31-2005, 02:36 PM
Please help me email everyone with this.
Thanks,
Donna in Alabama

bakerprune64
08-31-2005, 02:46 PM
Please help me email everyone with this.
Thanks,
Donna in AlabamaWhat a wonderful idea! We had a base here in calif. that sat empty for 10 years. Complete with new barracks, mess hall, etc. what a waste of taxpayers dollars. The only problem I can see is that Alabama supposedly doesn't have any power, statewide and has also had considerable storm related problems...
Alabama

1)Flooding reached 11 feet in Mobile, matching record set in 1917, according to National Weather Service. Water up to roofs of cars in downtown Mobile and bayou communities. Piers ransacked and grand homes flooded along Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay.

2)Deaths: Two.

3)About 405,000 homes and businesses without power.

4)Major bridge over the Mobile River partially reopened; it was struck by oil drilling platform that floated away from a shipyard.

It is worth exploring further:)

LadyLuck
08-31-2005, 02:55 PM
Great idea, wonder why our wonderful high paid leaders can not think of this.

BarnGoddess
08-31-2005, 03:04 PM
Here's an idea:
Why not relocate these victims to a base the military has closed? There is already single-family residences, barracks, even recreation, hospital, jail facilities. I know, as Fort McClellan in Alabama has already been closed, and most properties sit empty. It seems a logical solution, instead of some stadium. These people need some privacy, too.
What do you think?
Is this near Gadsden? My father was stationed there just before he went overseas in WWII. I was born in Gadsden. I believe my parents lived off base then.

NewMom2003
08-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Here's an idea:
Why not relocate these victims to a base the military has closed? There is already single-family residences, barracks, even recreation, hospital, jail facilities. I know, as Fort McClellan in Alabama has already been closed, and most properties sit empty. It seems a logical solution, instead of some stadium. These people need some privacy, too.
What do you think?

I think this is a wonderful idea!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

concernedperson
08-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Great idea, ShowerSinger, maybe you should work for FEMA!!!

lorann
08-31-2005, 04:10 PM
This is such a good idea. Not like government to consider using what is already on hand, they would rather build something new. Have you passed this along to anyone?

You might hit every major network, the media can get the politicians ear sooner than the average person.

NK57
08-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Excellent Idea! I just sent my email out to DC. Maybe someone down there will read it.

Dark Knight
08-31-2005, 04:29 PM
Catholic Relief Services is excellent, too. www.catholiccharities.com (http://www.catholiccharities.com/) They have a fund set up for Katrina victims, and the areas hit hardest: New Orleans, Biloxi & Mobile, AL, are very, very Catholic areas.
Thanks! I was also going to suggest them, as they are very reputable, and as you said, those areas are very Catholic with lots of churches and such.

Casshew
08-31-2005, 04:31 PM
Shower Singer, that is an amazing idea - put those retired bases back to work, fill them up with families & individuals. Everything is there - how difficult could it be to utilize?

I have sent some emails out too - I think you are brilliant :) :blowkiss:

Mabel
08-31-2005, 04:40 PM
Shower Singer, that is an amazing idea - put those retired bases back to work, fill them up with families & individuals. Everything is there - how difficult could it be to utilize?

I have sent some emails out too - I think you are brilliant :) :blowkiss:

CNN has been reading some viewer emails on air. Why don't you try contacting them, if you haven't already done so? I think it's a fantastic idea and certainly provides a longer term solution than the astrodome.

ShowerSinger
08-31-2005, 05:37 PM
Fort McClellan, Alabama
A base that was closed.
Barracks sit empty.
Single-family homes sit empty.
Hospital closed, but there.
Electricity.
Recreational facilities.
NOT THAT FAR FROM NEW ORLEANS.
Privacy for the families.
Don't bus them to a stadium like cattle.
Use the resources. They are the peoples resources.
Please, help spread the word.
Thanks.

concernedperson
08-31-2005, 05:42 PM
Fort McClellan, Alabama
A base that was closed.
Barracks sit empty.
Electricity.
Recreational facilities.
Thanks.

Have you contacted FEMA? Are you in Alabama? Contact the State. Fort MacPherson will be closed here in Georgia but isn't yet and this would be a lovely facility

Anngelique
08-31-2005, 05:42 PM
Fort McClellan, Alabama
A base that was closed.
Barracks sit empty.
Electricity.
Recreational facilities.
Thanks.

That is a brilliant idea Shower Singer!

mysteriew
08-31-2005, 06:42 PM
http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/

http://national.unitedway.org/

BirdieBoo
08-31-2005, 07:00 PM
My ebay auctioning thing is working.

I am pretty much strapped for cash right now and I am walking and taking the bus around to avoid using gas, but somehow I've managed to raise $80 (in one day!) by auctioning items around my house.

The money is donated directly through ebay to the charity of my choice, which is currently United way but there are other charities such as red cross and Salvation army too. WOO HOO! This is far better than I had hoped, I was only expecting to make about $25 so far. Plus there's that whole "one man's trash is another's treasure" so I am being repaid by being able to get rid of a bunch of unneeded stuff in my house.

Off to sell more ebay items. If anyone else wants to do it, it's called ebay giving works. (http://pages.ebay.com/givingworks/index.html)

ShowerSinger
08-31-2005, 07:25 PM
Email everyone you can! News media, anyone you can think of to get this rolling. It's time to use these resources for our own citizens!
Thank you to everyone for getting involved. You will be blessed for your efforts. It doesn't cost anything, but think about the people who so desperately need our help!
Wouldn't you rather be in a single-family dwelling, or even the barracks with some privacy?
Just get involved by asking our government to use these resources that sit wasting away.
Thank you. (I'm stepping off my soapbox now, to pay some attention to my own family.)
Prayers.

Share-in
08-31-2005, 07:52 PM
Catholic Relief Services is excellent, too. www.catholiccharities.com They have a fund set up for Katrina victims, and the areas hit hardest: New Orleans, Biloxi & Mobile, AL, are very, very Catholic areas.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unfortunately, I read where a Catholic Church (I forget the name) was totally gone in Biloxi. And, I didn't know that these were Catholic areas back there. Thanks for the info...

Easydoesit
08-31-2005, 07:53 PM
How many closed, or closing military bases are near New Orleans?

Share-in
08-31-2005, 08:02 PM
I think that's a fantastic idea too, ShowerSinger.

I've also heard that our naval ships would be another good avenue. I think I heard that the government was going to use "one" of them, BUT why not many of them. They have facilities that are needed there too, including medical help.

Still another one could be "CRUISE SHIPS" :eek: Why not; they would have so many facilities there too. Wouldn't the "looters" aka "losers" have a blast... :( NOT!

I heard that Walmart opened their doors so that the people could get whatever they needed. Hmmmm...some more than others, I would suppose.

mic730
08-31-2005, 10:05 PM
I think this is a super idea about using closed bases.
I posted in anotherr forum a list of media people. It is not a complete list but a start.
Thought it could be used here too.
Greta: ontherecord@foxnews.com <ontherecord@foxnews.com>

Dan Abrams: abramsreport@msnbc.com <abramsreport@msnbc.com>

Catherine Crier: info@criercommunications.com <info@criercommunications.com>

Sean Hannity: hannity@foxnews.com <hannity@foxnews.com>

Alan Colmes: colmes@foxnews.com <colmes@foxnews.com>

Bill O'Reilly: oreilly@foxnews.com <oreilly@foxnews.com>

Nancy Grace requires a form to be filled out here is the link:
http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5c.html?24

This is the email I sent:
Greta;
There are closed military bases all over the country with mess hall, medical facilities, and housing and schools in some cases.
These should be used to give these victims of Katrina a place to live with some privacy also.
Please help get this idea out.
Michelle

mic730
08-31-2005, 10:14 PM
Wal-Mart did that and it was free? I am amazed and highly pleased.
The cruise ship idea is being explored and Carnival says they will help if they can get it to work.
Here is a link:
http://www.*********.com/news/2005/08/31/D8CAV3MGC.html

I think that's a fantastic idea too, ShowerSinger.

I've also heard that our naval ships would be another good avenue. I think I heard that the government was going to use "one" of them, BUT why not many of them. They have facilities that are needed there too, including medical help.

Still another one could be "CRUISE SHIPS" :eek: Why not; they would have so many facilities there too. Wouldn't the "looters" aka "losers" have a blast... :( NOT!

I heard that Walmart opened their doors so that the people could get whatever they needed. Hmmmm...some more than others, I would suppose.

Dark Knight
08-31-2005, 11:00 PM
*bumpity bump bump*

ShowerSinger
08-31-2005, 11:07 PM
The BIG picture!
More Important Than...
1. Other countries.
These are Americans.
2. Priority SHOULD dictate to our g'ment we're#1
3. Closed military bases are available for housing.
A. Compassion for our own.
B. Basic needs can/will be met to sustain living.

These refugees are AMERICANS!
We ARE the most humane country, of all countries.

These resources ARE available NOW.

Listen Up, Government.
"CHARITY STARTS AT HOME!"

Magnum PI
08-31-2005, 11:08 PM
We must, even with the current grief and loss of life, look to how we can prevent this from happening again. I have a few suggestions:

The Wetlands: We must move back from the shore, and allow our vital wetlands to replenish themselves. They are our only protection from the kind of storm surge we've seen. Easier said than done...but it MUST be done.

Barrier protection: We could take all those flooded cars, trucks, trains...hell, anything metal and heavy, and drop them to form a barrier reef. This would help protect the shore, and provide super fishing and diving for sport. And it would keep them from being sold to unsuspecting people. I know this isn't the time to mention fun, but please remember what New Oreleans and surrounding areas stand for anyway...and they will need the revenue.

New Orleans levee system: I don't know how many places are weakened by the storm and neither does anyone else. Does anyone like Venice? It's kinda like N.O...romantic and such. As a child, I remember a neighbor that had a wet area in back of his house. He did everything to cover it, drain it, you name it. It was only when he decided to make it a small pond did he find happiness. It was a beautiful pond. N.O. could be a beautiful pond, and we wouldn't have to fight mother nature as hard as we are having to now.

Casinos: Since these are boats anyway, we could keep them inside the barrier area, and shuttle people out there...mpi

englishleigh
08-31-2005, 11:29 PM
GREAT idea, SS!!! You smart thing, you!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Marthatex
08-31-2005, 11:32 PM
Those are all fabulous ideas for the long term. We're jumping ahead a little fast; there are still people needing rescue and who will need shelter and food for months to come.

This is what O'Reilly said tonight and I about jumped out of my chair I was so surprised:

He said we should all right now try to conserve oil as much as we can - turn up the thermostat, watch the driving. (yeah) Carpool, walk, you know.

He said the oil companies should STOP GOUGING! The profits are ridiculous and they are hurting Americans.

He said Bush should ask OPEC to (release oil or drop price), immediately. He said OPEC makes ridiculous profits and should STOP GOUGING.

He said we should all try to give to Red Cross and other appropriate organizations.

Can't remember what else.....hormones.

Magnum PI
08-31-2005, 11:42 PM
Yes, I did mean for the long term...but the long term begins right after they clear the muck and start selling the land again...and then we are in the same cycle of stupidity, just waiting for it to happen again, and maybe worse the next time. Now my thoughts and hopes are for the people there, I meant this thread to spur whatever remedies we could discover..these people will be back to try again, and I think our nation owes them at least a decent chance...we claim that the Iraqi people deserve a chance too, don't we?...mpi

ShowerSinger
08-31-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks for pushing the issue. It's time we made our voice heard. Politically, they should embrace the idea. Thank you for your effort, friend!

Nova
08-31-2005, 11:49 PM
Great idea about the barrier reef, MPI. It has worked elsewhere.

I'm wondering about building codes. I realize this was an historically severe storm and no building material will hold back flooding water.

But I grew up in Florida and lived through some serious hurricanes. They caused damage -- yet they didn't blow away entire counties. And they didn't usually knock down concrete-block houses.

Marthatex
08-31-2005, 11:50 PM
I think after surviving this horror, the people would not want to go back to the same place; not without changes, like proper levees.

Your ideas are good.

SieSie
09-01-2005, 12:09 AM
:clap: What an excellent idea - I'm composing a letter and emailing the people listed on the links from mic730 (thanks for those!!).

Prayers for everyone affected by this devastation.

Magnum PI
09-01-2005, 12:58 AM
Great idea about the barrier reef, MPI. It has worked elsewhere.

I'm wondering about building codes. I realize this was an historically severe storm and no building material will hold back flooding water.

But I grew up in Florida and lived through some serious hurricanes. They caused damage -- yet they didn't blow away entire counties. And they didn't usually knock down concrete-block houses.
Nova: The only thing that will slow a storm surge is wetlands. Nature made it that way. We do have technology to build buildings that will take 150+ mph winds, but that is not the point. The rising water is the culprit in most cases...we have to learn to live with mother nature on this one, we cannot whip her with our stronger fortifications. The wetlands slow the surge, and absorb the water. The wetlands are our cradle for our ocean life as well...mpi

mic730
09-01-2005, 01:21 AM
Apparenlty a bus with Katrina victims arrived but it is not one of the buses planned to arrive from the Superdome. No details yet on how the victims got the bus but they went to right shelter in Texas.
They let them in.
Funny - the human spirit finding a way to get to help!
God love them and thank God for Texas.

rollerbladr123
09-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Apparenlty a bus with Katrina victims arrived but it is not one of the buses planned to arrive from the Superdome. No details yet on how the victims got the bus but they went to right shelter in Texas.
They let them in.
Funny - the human spirit finding a way to get to help!
God love them and thank God for Texas.
Mic I was cracking up when i saw that -

mic730
09-01-2005, 01:29 AM
I am listening to it on CNN... not a bus expected but they let them in.
CRACKS me up and makes me feel so good. Looks like a school or church bus on TV. Good for them - some people just take matters into their own hands.
ONLY IN AMERICA and gosh it makes me smile! :) :)

mic730
09-01-2005, 01:39 AM
Oh My it seems the renegade bus riders told stories about being in the SuperDome even though they probably were not there.
Was Joran and K2 on the renegade bus?
LOL LOL LOL LOL

I want to add if these people thought they had to lie because of PANIC that I can understand!!!!!!!!!

rollerbladr123
09-01-2005, 01:46 AM
Oh My it seems the renegade bus riders told stories about being in the SuperDome even though they probably were not there.
Was Joran and K2 on the renegade bus?
LOL LOL LOL LOL

I want to add if these people thought they had to lie because of PANIC that I can understand!!!!!!!!!
LOL there are people in Houston hotels who are checking out of their rooms and wanting to live in the Astrodome because the latter accommodation is free HEHE!!

mic730
09-01-2005, 01:48 AM
I missed that Roller. I am laughing because these people seem to want to live at the best cost. ME TOO!
Human spirit -nothing like it!

LOL there are people in Houston hotels who are checking out of their rooms and wanting to live in the Astrodome because the latter accommodation is free HEHE!!

scandi
09-01-2005, 01:56 AM
Yes, Thank God for Texas and for all the people who have put this project together from the beginning and then of course for these people enduring the what turned out to be an absolutely awful living environment for a few days.

I just heard an interview on CNN with this black man who just was precious. He said he was overdue for everything, and he described what it was like being in the dome. The water was the color of rust, miserably hot, etc. But he wasn't complaining. He was just ready to take a rest now, get some food in his tummy and relax. LOL

And whoever the reporter is in Houston, I must commend him on the way he handled the interview. Interesting questions that were very simple and kindness in his voice. Beautifully done.

Scandi

mic730
09-01-2005, 01:59 AM
Thanks Scandi I did not see it.

mic730
09-01-2005, 02:03 AM
Now CNN is saying this may not have been a renegade bus.
SO they were not lying. Not even panic in the threat of being homeless explains lying!

GonzoReiter
09-01-2005, 02:30 AM
I'm no scientific rocket, but IMO you're on the mark there.

Nore
09-01-2005, 05:02 AM
----------
tybee,for the past week I have been suffering from irritable bowel,donations welcome!ROFLOL. Seriously I was able to donate to the NO spca for their animals.The puppy waiting on the roof for help really hurt..My prayers are with everyone.

Nore
09-01-2005, 05:36 AM
Here's an idea:
Why not relocate these victims to a base the military has closed? There are already single-family residences, barracks, even recreation, hospital, jail facilities. I know, as Fort McClellan in Alabama has already been closed, and most properties sit empty. It seems a logical solution, instead of some stadium. These people need some privacy, too.
What do you think?
-----------------

ShowerSinger,a good idea!! I would hope this would work as so many people will be without homes for a long time.I should think our government could afford to do this....maybe they (gov.) could pretend it is in Iraq...you know~pick up the bill for lighting etc...

Dark Knight
09-01-2005, 06:34 AM
----------
tybee,for the past week I have been suffering from irritable bowel,donations welcome!ROFLOL. Seriously I was able to donate to the NO spca for their animals.The puppy waiting on the roof for help really hurt..My prayers are with everyone.
Thanks for reminding me of the Louisiana SPCA, I just donated to them, as well, at http://www.la-spca.org

Hope you get some good TP, lol! :crazy:

Marthatex
09-01-2005, 08:32 AM
We must, even with the current grief and loss of life, look to how we can prevent this from happening again. I have a few suggestions:

The Wetlands: We must move back from the shore, and allow our vital wetlands to replenish themselves. They are our only protection from the kind of storm surge we've seen. Easier said than done...but it MUST be done.

Barrier protection: We could take all those flooded cars, trucks, trains...hell, anything metal and heavy, and drop them to form a barrier reef. This would help protect the shore, and provide super fishing and diving for sport. And it would keep them from being sold to unsuspecting people. I know this isn't the time to mention fun, but please remember what New Oreleans and surrounding areas stand for anyway...and they will need the revenue.

New Orleans levee system: I don't know how many places are weakened by the storm and neither does anyone else. Does anyone like Venice? It's kinda like N.O...romantic and such. As a child, I remember a neighbor that had a wet area in back of his house. He did everything to cover it, drain it, you name it. It was only when he decided to make it a small pond did he find happiness. It was a beautiful pond. N.O. could be a beautiful pond, and we wouldn't have to fight mother nature as hard as we are having to now.

Casinos: Since these are boats anyway, we could keep them inside the barrier area, and shuttle people out there...mpi

Why don't you send your ideas to the Governor of La. and any other appropriate persons in a few weeks? I'm not an environmental engineer, but it all sounds good to me, especially the wetlands part. Evidently New Orleans used to have more wetlands, but it has sunk and the Mississippi River policies have messed things up?

kato
09-01-2005, 09:00 AM
The transports have been temporarily halted because gun shots are being fired at helicopters taking people from the Superdome to the buses. SICK!!! I think they are starting back up shortly.

Miss Daisey
09-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Bush should federalize the La guard...arm them and treat these w/ak47's as enemy combatants....terrorist...because that's what they are, IMO.

T'sNana
09-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Here's an idea:
What do you think?
I think YOU need to run this...That is a GREAT idea!! :woohoo:

AZ_Veteran
09-01-2005, 10:20 AM
The transports have been temporarily halted because gun shots are being fired at helicopters taking people from the Superdome to the buses. SICK!!! I think they are starting back up shortly.
As a US Army vet, I would have emptied a clip or so on anyone shooting at rescue choppers. Problem solved. :furious:

lilpony
09-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Why are they even shooting at these rescue helicopters? Scares the hell out of me, my Son is one of the flight crew members in the USCG helicopters. He does search and rescue. Why would they be shooting at them, whats wrong with people. Are they going nuts. Please Lord, keep these crew members in these helo's safe.

bakerprune64
09-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Bush should federalize the La guard...arm them and treat these w/ak47's as enemy combatants....terrorist...because that's what they are, IMO.
Exactly Daisey! Wtf are they thinking? I heard some somebody say that these people (looters and such) are acting this wasy to "get back" at society. It was a freakin hurricane! It was nobody's fault that mother nature unleashed, and their irresponsible acts could come at the cost of additional human lives:banghead:

bakerprune64
09-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Why are they even shooting at these rescue helicopters? Scares the hell out of me, my Son is one of the flight crew members in the USCG helicopters. He does search and rescue. Why would they be shooting at them, whats wrong with people. Are they going nuts. Please Lord, keep these crew members in these helo's safe.
I pray for the safety of all of these innocent vitims, resuce workers, LE and military who are in harms way in the "own back yard" at the hands of these freakin idots. Sending good thoughts for your son Lilpony.

SewingDeb
09-01-2005, 12:02 PM

A lot of them were turned away before the bus arrived. They were told the Astrodome will only shelter those evacuated from the Superdome.

I heard the driver was only 20...I wonder whose bus it is. From what I saw it looked like a very nice Trailways bus.

I wonder if this bus was taken at gunpoint...if so, it's not funny.

SewingDeb
09-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Yes, Thank God for Texas and for all the people who have put this project together from the beginning and then of course for these people enduring the what turned out to be an absolutely awful living environment for a few days.

I just heard an interview on CNN with this black man who just was precious. He said he was overdue for everything, and he described what it was like being in the dome. The water was the color of rust, miserably hot, etc. But he wasn't complaining. He was just ready to take a rest now, get some food in his tummy and relax. LOL

And whoever the reporter is in Houston, I must commend him on the way he handled the interview. Interesting questions that were very simple and kindness in his voice. Beautifully done.

Scandi

Scandi,
There is doubt on whether that man was ever at the Superdome...these were not evacuees from the Superdome. I can understand wanting to get out of NO though.

SewingDeb
09-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Now CNN is saying this may not have been a renegade bus.
SO they were not lying. Not even panic in the threat of being homeless explains lying!

I hope that is true. How did they manage to get such a nice bus when others are being loaded on school buses? And how did they manage to arrive an hour before expected?

BarnGoddess
09-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Shower Singer, I caught a snippet on TV very late last night (I had the TV on in the background as I completed my Excel homework) and heard a Senator or Congressman from either LA or MS mentioning something about a closed Air Base to be used for some purpose soon. I'm not sure which one or where as I was half listening. Maybe someone got through with your idea. Maybe someone can find out if what I heard is true.

jannuncutt
09-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Bergstrom Air Force Base in Austin, Texas - closed in 1991.

BarnGoddess
09-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Bergstrom Air Force Base in Austin, Texas - closed in 1991.
Thank you very much Jannuncutt, I knew I heard something. I appreciate it.

lorann
09-01-2005, 12:13 PM
The more I think about this, the better it sounds. These people can be shown how to help themselves. These people can be given jobs, cooks, lawn maintenance, just an example of the possibilities. Child care for those that can go out and secure paying jobs. This should be for the true refugees, not looters etc. Those that will not try to help themselves or others can be dealt with. This is long term, not an immediate answer for those still waist deep in filthy water.

SewingDeb
09-01-2005, 12:25 PM
I think YOU need to run this...That is a GREAT idea!! :woohoo:

Excellent, excellent idea!! Much better than the Astrodome.

lynie
09-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Awesome idea...I so much hope these folks can find a soft place (and dry) to land.... :angel:

nanandjim
09-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks! I was also going to suggest them, as they are very reputable, and as you said, those areas are very Catholic with lots of churches and such.
I believe that you don't have to be Catholic for this charity to help you. If I am not mistaken, this charity provides a lot of services, based on income, for all individuals.

lilpony
09-01-2005, 12:40 PM
I pray for the safety of all of these innocent vitims, resuce workers, LE and military who are in harms way in the "own back yard" at the hands of these freakin idots. Sending good thoughts for your son Lilpony.
Oh Thank You...Baker, its appreciated!!

AZ_Veteran
09-01-2005, 01:18 PM
GD SOB's anyway. Lilpony, I hope your son has orders to fire back if fired upon to 'grease' those A$$holes. It is getting very close to civil unrest and total marital law. There will be 18,000 or so more NG members going down there, but by then the desparation for water and food may exceed any semblance of common sense and care for a fellow man.

Praying for your son, and proud of him too.

Dark Knight
09-01-2005, 01:19 PM
I believe that you don't have to be Catholic for this charity to help you. If I am not mistaken, this charity provides a lot of services, based on income, for all individuals.
You're correct. It serves you without asking your faith etc. Actually, when I went to donate, it told me to give to Catholic Charities USA, it's sister organization, just FYI.

lilpony
09-01-2005, 01:49 PM
GD SOB's anyway. Lilpony, I hope your son has orders to fire back if fired upon to 'grease' those A$$holes. It is getting very close to civil unrest and total marital law. There will be 18,000 or so more NG members going down there, but by then the desparation for water and food may exceed any semblance of common sense and care for a fellow man.

Thank You so much. Its a horrible situation down there. Prayers for all of the rescue workers. And of course for all the people that are homeless now.

GonzoReiter
09-01-2005, 02:55 PM
HELP KATRINA'S VICTIMS (http://www.networkforgood.org/topics/animal_environ/hurricanes/?source=YAHOO&cmpgn=HMPG)

Stirling Newberry: "If we had a real president this is the speech he would give (http://www.bopnews.com/archives/004722.html#4722)"

mysteriew
09-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Bush just announced the Red Cross number as 1-800-HELP NOW.

Cypros
09-01-2005, 03:11 PM
I especially like the barrier reef idea. As you said, they need to find someplace to dump all of that debris. Might as well put it to practical use.

As for your idea about NO becoming a great pond.... elsewhere I proposed that they let the water stay put and use the area as a research center -- there are all kinds of things we can learn from this site and ways for it to be put to practical use WITH the water. It just couldn't be an urban center again. The site could also co-function as a historical monument

poco
09-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Check this out guys - this is absolutely wonderful - the only problem is that there is no way to get this information to the people in need - Maybe if enough people know about it, it can, somehow, spread by word of mouth to these victims.

http://www.craigslist.org/roo/

nanandjim
09-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Check this out guys - this is absolutely wonderful - the only problem is that there is no way to get this information to the people in need - Maybe if enough people know about it, it can, somehow, spread by word of mouth to these victims.

How do they screen these people? I'd hate to be robbed blind--or worse!!

Anngelique
09-01-2005, 03:30 PM

That is awesome, but boy I would be so scared. You just don't know what type of people would respond. I mean many of the misplaced and homeless are criminals just as much as if life was normal in their cities. So how do you go about deciding who you take in? I think it is wonderful, don't get me wrong. I hope more people can do it. I love seeing good American generousity.

poco
09-01-2005, 03:34 PM
I think it is great too, but must agree - would be really hard to open my home to people I know, let alone people I don't know.

T'sNana
09-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Makes you proud to be an American!! At least we (common people) have hearts. God Bless! :blowkiss:

nanandjim
09-01-2005, 03:38 PM
... At least we (common people) have hearts...
What is this statement supposed to mean??

T'sNana
09-01-2005, 03:40 PM
What is this statement supposed to mean?? Nothing other than we seem to find a way to help these people (military, police, civilians, etc.). SHEESH

shopper
09-01-2005, 03:54 PM
There is a drive going on for essential items - diapers, sheets, pillows, toothbrushes/toothpaste, soap, water, pkgd snacks - going on now through Sunday. They specifically said no used clothing or bedding. So, I won't be taking my big bag of clothes, lol. But I'm going to the dollar store and will get bags of the above mentioned itmes, that way I can buy more things and feel like I'm doing something that will make a difference, although still small.

Also mentioned on the noon news that coming up at the 5:00 news info about "hosting" a family that are staying in local hotels, as many now have no jobs and are running out of money. I'm seriously considering this but have to discuss it with my husband. I've been sitting here all week, feeling helpless and wanting to do something and this is a gesture that would require hardly any effort on our part. But I'm very scared about a stranger(s) coming into my home and staying here while my husband is at work and I'm at school. I guess I could take my jewelry box over to my MIL because I have some very sentimental pieces, and frankly, it would just alleviate any worrying I might do. I wouldn't be worried about big items like t.v., computer, furniture being taken because where would they go with them? I hate to sound so paranoid or suspicious but it's scary to take in strangers.

Also, what if it just didn't work out, how cruel would it be to tell someone they had to leave?

I guess I should just sleep on it and pray about it.

LadyLuck
09-01-2005, 03:54 PM
WE have a center opened up in a church way up in N. Alabama. Some of the people from La had to drive this far to find a hotel room. They ran out of money. A local church opened up a shelter and is providing food, etc.

bakerprune64
09-01-2005, 04:19 PM
I spoke to our local American Red Cross chapter and asked what would be the most effective way to help those affected by Katrina's devistation. They told me that monetary donations are the best way to help. They don't have any means of transporting items into the flooded areas and the money would be used to purchase items in those areas (I asked where that would be since most places nearby are wiped out) and she told me that most of the shopping is being done in Albama and Georgia. The $$ will used to buy food, medicine, diapers, clothes...etc.

Ntegrity
09-01-2005, 04:23 PM

With my luck, I'd get one of the looters with an AK-47. :eek: I did offer a spare bedroom to a fellow WSers family and that doesn't bother me, but I'm a bit fearful of taking in complete strangers I know nothing about.

T'sNana
09-01-2005, 04:24 PM
I spoke to our local American Red Cross chapter and asked what would be the most effective way to help those affected by Katrina's devistation. They told me that monetary donations are the best way to help. They don't have any means of transporting items into the flooded areas and the money would be used to purchase items in those areas (I asked where that would be since most places nearby are wiped out) and she told me that most of the shopping is being done in Albama and Georgia. The $$ will used to buy food, medicine, diapers, clothes...etc.
The Red Cross is WONDERFUL!! They help so many people! A well known radio personality in our area got a big truck from a dealership, got a donation for the gas (very much needed as well) for the truck and got donations and was on his way to a drop off down there. He's always raising money for St. Jude's around here and loved by most everyone. We took diapers, wipes, bleach, etc. The turn out made you cry. It's just a drop in the bucket, but at least you feel like you are doing something!

tybee204
09-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Those that have evacuated are between a rock and a hard place. Fema dosent provide funding until people can access personal damages. People cant access damages because they cant go home. They cant afford to continue staying in hotels without aid. Its like a cat chasing its tail.

Ntegrity
09-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Those that have evacuated are between a rock and a hard place. Fema dosent provide funding until people can access personal damages. People cant access damages because they cant go home. They cant afford to continue staying in hotels without aid. Its like a cat chasing its tail.
One of my coworkers said the FEMA office in Ft. Walton Beach is giving people enough money to pay for temporary lodging and food until they can get more permanent arrangements made for them. I hope that's true.

tybee204
09-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Those folks may have been able to get back in to access damages then return that form to FEMA for temp aid. Residents of NOLA are not able to complete the required forms to recieve temp aid.

Lesleegp
09-01-2005, 04:49 PM
My grandmother in the mountains of NC suffered very severe damage last year from Hurricanes Frances and Ivan. She didn't have to fill out any forms......just had to call the FEMA phone numbers and they came to her. The paperwork was all done after she got her money.

However, if people don't have access to phones or can't even get to their homes to see if they need FEMA, they can't call either. It's a lose lose situation.

kgeaux
09-01-2005, 06:35 PM
My grandmother in the mountains of NC suffered very severe damage last year from Hurricanes Frances and Ivan. She didn't have to fill out any forms......just had to call the FEMA phone numbers and they came to her. The paperwork was all done after she got her money.

However, if people don't have access to phones or can't even get to their homes to see if they need FEMA, they can't call either. It's a lose lose situation.

FEMA will set up locations near evacuation centers. Here in Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Houston, San Antonio, where ever there are large groups of evacuees. You just walk up to the table, have a seat, make your claim, let them know where you are staying, and they will process the claim and get back to you. They do this on a regular basis after hurricanes, so I'd imagine that's how they'll handle this instance. The only difference will be that we now have a larger number of claimants. And now they will be using satellite pics. to predetermine damage instead of eyeball descriptions of damage.

Casshew
09-01-2005, 06:39 PM
You just walk up to the table, have a seat, make your claim, let them know where you are staying, and they will process the claim and get back to you.
It will be a huge line up (days) waiting for a seat at a table - I think the scale of this disaster is inconceivable and some other processes will have to be used.

txsvicki
09-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Just reported, babies are dying of dehydration at the civic center.

txsvicki
09-01-2005, 07:20 PM
WE have a center opened up in a church way up in N. Alabama. Some of the people from La had to drive this far to find a hotel room. They ran out of money. A local church opened up a shelter and is providing food, etc.

My daughter lives east of Dallas and alot of survivors are already there. One church has about five hundred. Her company donated goods directly for these people to use and reports are coming out about people taking in others and already helping some with jobs. One man had a home, an empty home and took two elderly couples from the shelter.

txsvicki
09-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Right now, there are many people without food and water at the civic center. It's been reported that babies are dying of dehydration. They need to get out of there first and afterwards, I don't think that it would be a good idea at all to force a bunch of people onto some military base and make them help themselves by being cooks and lawn care workers. There are thousand of apartment complexes in every state where they can get low rent housing, food stamps, help with day care, and apply for jobs of their own choosing. These people know how to help themselves already, they just need to get some food and water to survive another hour.

concernedperson
09-01-2005, 07:35 PM

I just don't understand this. I don't understand why they can't drop water and food with all the helicopters being flown around. I don't understand and not one FEMA person or local or state has explained this to me.

Casshew
09-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Great post AZ_Veteran. :clap:

Praying for the men & woman trying to do their jobs and the victims that despartately need them.

Dara
09-01-2005, 07:38 PM
I first heard that earlier this afternoon. There's a firsthand report from an MSNBC journalist over in the main hurricane thread. I think he said he saw two babies who had already died. I only say this because I think it's worth noting how long it's been that we knew children and adults were dying without adequate help coming to them.

T'sNana
09-01-2005, 07:41 PM
The BIG picture!
More Important Than...
1. Other countries.
These are Americans.
2. Priority SHOULD dictate to our g'ment we're#1
3. Closed military bases are available for housing.
A. Compassion for our own.
B. Basic needs can/will be met to sustain living.

These refugees are AMERICANS!
We ARE the most humane country, of all countries.

These resources ARE available NOW.

Listen Up, Government.
"CHARITY STARTS AT HOME!"

So TRUE!!! I also emailed everyone on the list you provided! You had/have a wonderful idea with the bases!

DEPUTYDAWG
09-01-2005, 07:52 PM
My daughter lives east of Dallas and alot of survivors are already there. One church has about five hundred. Her company donated goods directly for these people to use and reports are coming out about people taking in others and already helping some with jobs. One man had a home, an empty home and took two elderly couples from the shelter.

Waco is already opening shelters (3) and all hotels today were full. This is 10 hours away from NO - that was surprising to me, but now that we know how bad it is, I guess it shouldn't be surprising.

CherokeeKid
09-01-2005, 08:36 PM
To pet owners near Lafayette, LA

forwarded with permission:

> I don't have time to spend on the internet finding and learning how
> to post right now. Please just let all members know that we have
> opened a pet shelter at Blackham Coliseum in Lafayette, right next
> to the Cajundome. Evacuees may bring their pets their for housing.
> We have PLENTY of food, water, crates, cages, bedding and
> newspaper. BUT the owners are responsible for feeding, watering,
> walking and medicating their own pets.
> Interested parties may call Lafayette Parish Animal Control at
> 337-291-5644 for more information.
> Also many area vets are accepting animals right now, until they fill
> up. Get the Yellow Pages out!
> Please help me to get this word out. I've been working non-stop!
> THANKS!
> Nancy Marcantel

concernedperson
09-01-2005, 08:40 PM
I found a house for a family of six and have donated what I can but we need to do more. Keep it going because citizens will ultimately make the difference.

mic730
09-01-2005, 08:40 PM
CK can you post this also in the Jury Room under the thread about Katrina?
As an animal lover this just tugs my heart.
I will do it if you want me to.

CherokeeKid
09-01-2005, 08:47 PM
CK can you post this also in the Jury Room under the thread about Katrina?
As an animal lover this just tugs my heart.
I will do it if you want me to.
Mic, please go ahead, copy and post it wherever you want. We are huge animal lovers, too. We have a housefull of abandoned dogs.

mic730
09-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Mic, please go ahead, copy and post it wherever you want. We are huge animal lovers, too. We have a housefull of abandoned dogs.

Done. Thx for the info.
2 dogs and 1 cat here not counting the stray cat with 3 kittens. All I do is change cat litter. No worries they have homes to go to in the next week.

GonzoReiter
09-01-2005, 09:01 PM
It's a good idea to tell nearly a half a million people who are now refugees that the federal government won't help them rebuild their beloved city?...but it's a good idea to spend billions to tear down and rebuild Baghdad, Iraq?

dunno...seems wrong, but that's just me...

House Speaker Dennis Hastert (http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_Times-Picayune/archives/2005_09.html#075833)

Speaking to a Chicago newspaper, said that any attempt at rebuilding the Big Easy, "didn't make sense to me." Here's a snip:

Hastert said that he supports an emergency bailout, but raised questions about a long-term rebuilding effort. As the most powerful voice in the Republican-controlled House, Hastert is in a position to block any legislation that he opposes.

"We help replace, we help relieve disaster," Hastert said. "But I think federal insurance and everything that goes along with it... we ought to take a second look at that."

concernedperson
09-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Everyone knows I love New Orleans but this is something to be considered. After it is all said and done who will be there? The big oil companies. the big insurance companies, I think not. They will move to Houston as they have for a decade.You will see grocery stores and anxillary support systems. But the crux of an infrastructure will be gone. No jobs, no real reason to be there. Take the insurance money and run. It is a destruction of an American city with no future. Fixing the levees won't work now if any astute business person is involved.

arielilane
09-01-2005, 09:46 PM
I have made my donations and pray for our people in LA, MS and AL.

Nawlins was an awesome place, unlike any other city in the US. I will miss it forever...

ariel

CherokeeKid
09-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Done. Thx for the info.
2 dogs and 1 cat here not counting the stray cat with 3 kittens. All I do is change cat litter. No worries they have homes to go to in the next week.
Good!! Make sure they will get spayed and neutered. Kittens and puppies are old enough to give birth at 9 months of age.

We have currently nine large dog and one cat. They sleep in my bed, on my couch and reign the house. LOL

rollerbladr123
09-01-2005, 11:08 PM
I have made my donations and pray for our people in LA, MS and AL.

Nawlins was an awesome place, unlike any other city in the US. I will miss it forever...

arielAriel Nawlins will be back WITH a vengeance-guaranteed-no question-can't imagine good ole USofA without the big easy

On a sad note, Fats Domino is missing from his downtown Big Easy apartment-it was in the low lying part of town-he decided to ride out the hurricane and refused to evacuate-his manager last heard from him Sunday night-lets hope and pray that Fats and all other missing are found safe.

ETA: Fats has been rescued!!!! Yesss

ShowerSinger
09-01-2005, 11:25 PM
The word in Alabama is they are planning, on moving 10,000 people to the barracks at Fort McClellan, AL.
However, the mayor of Anniston is floundering. We shall see.
Thanks to everyone here for their efforts!
(Gonna drag my cranky hormonal butt to bed now.)

concernedperson
09-01-2005, 11:28 PM
The word in Alabama is they are planning, on moving 10,000 people to the barracks at Fort McClellan, AL.
However, the mayor of Anniston is floundering. We shall see.
Thanks to everyone here for their efforts!
(Gonna drag my cranky hormonal butt to bed now.)

You did good.

Nore
09-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Is this near Gadsden? My father was stationed there just before he went overseas in WWII. I was born in Gadsden. I believe my parent
s lived off base then.
-----------------

Fort McClellan is in upper Northwest Ala. I believe it is near Anniston.

BarnGoddess was your dad in Infantry? 45th Thunderbird Division..

lorann
09-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Right now, there are many people without food and water at the civic center. It's been reported that babies are dying of dehydration. They need to get out of there first and afterwards, I don't think that it would be a good idea at all to force a bunch of people onto some military base and make them help themselves by being cooks and lawn care workers. There are thousand of apartment complexes in every state where they can get low rent housing, food stamps, help with day care, and apply for jobs of their own choosing. These people know how to help themselves already, they just need to get some food and water to survive another hour.

During the depression, quonset huts were set up in city parks because there were just too many people that had nowhere to live. The children from one of them went to my school. The father of a friend of mine did the lawn mowing in the park after he came home from work. Some women babysat so both parents could work. Being a cook, babysitter, or gardener are not disgraceful things. Using the military bases would keep the government from building more low rent complexes. These people have no jobs to go back to and unemployment is high all over the country. Those that have skills will have a better chance to help themselves but whether they have skills or not, those bases are there already. I agree, they need food and water and a clean place to sleep. They can't stay in those temporary shelters for very long. I have been on a few military bases, and they are not bad. As their circumstances improve, they can leave.

Nova
09-02-2005, 12:11 AM
Got it, MPI, and I'm all in favor of more wetlands.

ETA: I'm all for being sensible and environmentally conscious, but I have a hard time agreeing that one of the great cities of US history should be left a sink hole.

Built in a different way, maybe with fewer residents below sea level.

But abandoned? (Except for Cypros' research facility, of course.)

lynie
09-02-2005, 01:02 AM
During the depression, quonset huts were set up in city parks because there were just too many people that had nowhere to live. The children from one of them went to my school. The father of a friend of mine did the lawn mowing in the park after he came home from work. Some women babysat so both parents could work. Being a cook, babysitter, or gardener are not disgraceful things. Using the military bases would keep the government from building more low rent complexes. These people have no jobs to go back to and unemployment is high all over the country. Those that have skills will have a better chance to help themselves but whether they have skills or not, those bases are there already. I agree, they need food and water and a clean place to sleep. They can't stay in those temporary shelters for very long. I have been on a few military bases, and they are not bad. As their circumstances improve, they can leave.

Also, most of the time after a base is closed the area suffers a depression of the economy too. Maybe this could help the citizens out as well....

Magnum PI
09-02-2005, 01:15 AM
Got it, MPI, and I'm all in favor of more wetlands.

ETA: I'm all for being sensible and environmentally conscious, but I have a hard time agreeing that one of the great cities of US history should be left a sink hole.

Built in a different way, maybe with fewer residents below sea level.

But abandoned? (Except for Cypros' research facility, of course.)
Of course..but what about a good-lookin' fun sink hole! With Venice like atmosphere.Could you adjust? If we fix it at whatever expence, and it happens again, another fix will be a hard sale, and there are some harder realities we much consider, like the Ol' Mississippi River jumping it's banks. Corp on Eng worry about that happening on a "good" day.

Magnum PI
09-02-2005, 01:20 AM
I especially like the barrier reef idea. As you said, they need to find someplace to dump all of that debris. Might as well put it to practical use.

As for your idea about NO becoming a great pond.... elsewhere I proposed that they let the water stay put and use the area as a research center -- there are all kinds of things we can learn from this site and ways for it to be put to practical use WITH the water. It just couldn't be an urban center again. The site could also co-function as a historical monument

If we build more levees, we should hire the Dutch, their's have been good for 50 years.

dakini
09-02-2005, 01:27 AM
HELP KATRINA'S VICTIMS (http://www.networkforgood.org/topics/animal_environ/hurricanes/?source=YAHOO&cmpgn=HMPG)

Stirling Newberry: "If we had a real president this is the speech he would give (http://www.bopnews.com/archives/004722.html#4722)"

Thank you for the link, Gonzo

At least someone has the imagination and eloquence to say what needs to be said. May all those who have it in them to think and speak this way be the ones to lead the world's people's in times of crisis and great opportunity!

tybee204
09-02-2005, 01:28 AM
The Fire Marshall has stopped anymore refugee's from entering the Dome. It has reached capacity at approx 8,000 people. Bus's are being turned away and redirected to other Cities as of 11:30 pm tonight. A far cry from the 25,000 previously anticipated to be sheltered in Houston.

Magnum PI
09-02-2005, 01:34 AM
Two more thoughts:

drinking water

Dean Kayman (inventor of Segway, portable insulin pump, the iBot) has recently invented a little machine that uses anything from cow dung to grass clippings for fuel. Putrid water goes in one end, and pure clean drinking water comes out the other. President Carter went to India with Dean to present it to the Indian government. We need a few thousand in N.O. now.

food

during the Afgan war, the U.S. would drop these little food packets from C-130's at considerable altitude. They were sucessful because they would spread out and not just drop on one spot, which helps the distribution making looting and hoarding more diffucult. They quit using them because the orange color was close to the color of the millions of land mines, and that became a problem. I say, dust them off and start dropping, now.

Nova
09-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Of course..but what about a good-lookin' fun sink hole! With Venice like atmosphere.Could you adjust? If we fix it at whatever expence, and it happens again, another fix will be a hard sale, and there are some harder realities we much consider, like the Ol' Mississippi River jumping it's banks. Corp on Eng worry about that happening on a "good" day.

MPI, I see the logic in what you are saying, but there are so few places in this country where we preserve history, I hate to give up on NO.

(I should mention I've never been there myself, but I know people who would never open a history book who have been to the French Quarter.)

Mabel
09-02-2005, 01:44 AM
I don't know what to make of this. Tonight on Greata the officials at the Astrodome said they were prepared to take as many refugees as necessary. The spokesman for the Astrodome used the figure of 50,000 when asked about capacity. So why are they filled at 8,000?

lostfaith
09-02-2005, 01:52 AM
Maybe they have thought twice about the safety of their own city. 20 to 50 thousand is ALOT to take on. I think that these refugees should be divided up between many cities. The more the better. That is way too much for one city to take on, divide it up, better for all I think. Would make it easier for these people to find jobs, less competition, the schools would not be over burdened. Just makes sense to me.

tybee204
09-02-2005, 01:53 AM
I dunno? But I cant imagine spending 5 days in the Superdome, 8 hours on a hot bus to be told "Sorry theres no room at the INN" keep moving on down the road.

Magnum PI
09-02-2005, 02:07 AM
[QUOTE=Nova]MPI, I see the logic in what you are saying, but there are so few places in this country where we preserve history, I hate to give up on NO.

(I should mention I've never been there myself, but I know people who would never open a history book who have been to the French Quarter.)[/QUOTE

I love the place and have been there many times. My daughter was conceived in the French Quarter(fun night)

I have a friend who has lived there for three generations, and just moved his facilities from Metarie to downtown NO. It was a big deal for him, and the city fathers even helped...he'll be ok, there are many stories like his.

Nova, I don't want to give up on N.O. rebirth, but I'm afraid it will not be the place we remembered once this is over...mpi

GonzoReiter
09-02-2005, 03:34 AM
they didn't turn away anyone on the busses tonight...still 100 of them lined up and staged for triage processing as I type this.

this isn't official, but there's been a lot of mis-info tossed around by the TV bobbleheads.

the Astrodome will comfortably SEAT around 50,000 people give or take a few thousand, mostly take because it hasn't had that many people in it for years and years.

the refugees are set up on cots on the floor, and my guess is that a maximum of 7,500 could be reasonably comfortable there but with all the personal effects stacked around the cots one might reduce that number to around 5,000 who'd be able to exist for any period of time in any reasonable semblance of "comfort" considering the circumstances.

say 50 on each bus, and added to the peeps already in the dome around midnight, my guess is 12,500 to 15,000 people medically triaged and processed there tonight. many will be able to pass the night in the stadium seats and if they can provide cots the rest will be in Reliant Center adjacent to the dome.

come tomorrow, arrangements will be made to take the excess refugees to other facilities being set up from San Antonio to Huntsville to Dallas. there's a crew working all night to air condition a building at the old Kelly AFB in San Antonio as an example of one destination.

quite amazing and moving to actually get some real TV coverage from the local stations of the Dome, the volunteers, the professional management by the local police, fire departments, hospital staff.

as I watched, several people who'd seen the arrival while at home...drove down and volunteered to take in some of the people; brought clothing, water, food to those waiting to get in the Dome. volunteers arrived to assist in the care of the refugees, including 3 Baylor College of Medicine students who appeared to be of middle eastern descent. pastors who were coordinating shelter and services thru their church organizations, etc.

I might add that the Mayor's office had no notice the last busses were arriving and no way to coordinate with their counterparts in NOLA because there is zero available communication capability between the two cities as late as this afternoon.

our national agencies are failing in their efforts to handle this disaster to date...hopefully that will change ASAP.

Texas has a heart as big as the State itself...it was an amazing display of citizens reaching out to help their fellows.

GonzoReiter
09-02-2005, 04:47 AM
Even as people from New Orleans desperately search for their family members and rescue workers patrol the region in boats, hack through roofs and try to pluck survivors out, some people in other parts of the country have begun to blame us, the victims. Our crime? Choosing to live in New Orleans.

Especially heartless were U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert and the writers of an editorial that appeared Wednesday in the Republican-American, a newspaper in Waterbury, Conn. Mr. Hastert was quoted by the Daily Herald of Arlington Heights, Ill., saying it makes no sense to rebuild New Orleans where it is. "It looks like a lot of that place could be bulldozed," he said.

The Republican-American's headline asks, "Is New Orleans worth reclaiming?" The editorial depicts our city and our people as a drain on federal coffers, and if you read it you might get the impression that New Orleans has never contributed to the economic vitality of this country. It maligns the city and our people as if we're nothing more than outstretched palms waiting for FEMA grants that only they fund.

How dare they?

After Mr. Hastert made his insensitive comments, his press secretary tried to spin them. The speaker didn't mean that there shouldn't be a New Orleans, the spokesperson said. He was just suggesting that as they rebuild, officials give serious thought to how future destruction could be prevented. That goes without saying. We're much more sophisticated now than we were when the city was founded in the 18th century. Of course our officials are going to rebuild in such a way that reduces the threat of future devastation.

At least President Bush realizes how valuable we are. He flew over the storm-ravaged areas of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama on Wednesday afternoon and seems sincerely sorrowful for all the people whose lives have been irreversibly changed by this storm. His promise to send aid, and lots of it, was encouraging. It's going to take a huge amount of money to rebuild New Orleans and a similarly large amount of assistance to sustain the hundreds of thousands of people who have been displaced.

Joe Riley knows it, too. As the mayor of Charleston, S.C., a coastal city that was torn apart by Hurricane Hugo in 1989, Mr. Riley not only is sympathetic to our plight, he defends our right, our need, to exist. When an interviewer for National Public Radio asked him, "Should there be a city where New Orleans is?" he said, "Of course, of course. Venice should always be Venice. And New Orleans always New Orleans. They'll make the levees bigger, and they'll make them stronger so this never happens again. But this city, so important to our country, of course it should always be there."

Surely the folks in Waterbury would want their city rebuilt if a natural disaster destroyed it, just as Rep. Hastert would demand that Chicago be given the same consideration. They ought to show compassion and respect for those of us down here who will be struggling for quite some time to piece together our lives.

President Bush is promising aid. The sooner we get it, the better. One thing is certain: We will rebuild. New Orleans is worth it. So are the people who call it home.

Marthatex
09-02-2005, 06:47 AM
What would President Andrew Jackson say........?

kato
09-02-2005, 08:10 AM
The Astrodome is full. It would be a fire hazard if more are let in. They are opening Reliant Stadium which is on the same land. I'm going to see if I can volunteer this weekend.

For Houston residents or nearby residents:

Volunteer: go to the McNee entrance

Food, clothing, etc.: 610 feeder road West

kato
09-02-2005, 08:41 AM
The Fire Marshall has stopped anymore refugee's from entering the Dome. It has reached capacity at approx 8,000 people. Bus's are being turned away and redirected to other Cities as of 11:30 pm tonight. A far cry from the 25,000 previously anticipated to be sheltered in Houston.

OOOPS tybee. I started a thread about this. Maybe you can combine them. They are putting people in Reliant Stadium now. Which is right next door.

kato
09-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Astrodome has 12,000 and will stay that way. Reliant getting about 3,000 right now. Wonder what they will do with the first Texans home football game? Just wonderin'. I really don't care because it's better to help the evacuees out.

Jules
09-02-2005, 09:58 AM
We have opened our home up to many. We have my sister-in-law and her family here and many of her husband's family members. We're happy to do it as they have NO WHERE else to go. At last count we had 19 people here, not including our 3. It's tight, but we are managing fine. I couldn't imagine turning any of them away. I couldn't do it. I would hope if we were ever in this situation they would do the same for us.

Now, as for complete strangers, I don't know that we'd be this generous, but I know we'd offer help however we could.

Big shout out to Les who took it upon herself to send us a HUGE care package! I love ya Sista! Very much appreciated!

Hope everyone else who has family in NOLA or elsewhere who has suffered through Katrina is fairing as well as our family. Prayers to all...

Marthatex
09-02-2005, 10:01 AM
That's good. That reliant stadium is so nice. I know the people of Houston will do alot.

It looks like Texas is going to be The Good Neighbor for quite a while now. I know 150 beds are being put in a stadium here, but I will have to find out more.

Jules
09-02-2005, 10:03 AM
We have boxed up clothing and some non-parrishable food to take down later this afternoon. Our subdivision took up a collection for people. Blankets, pillows, etc. too. We have several trucks full. Our subdivision does a garage sale annually and people have been saving things for it. We've all decided to donate rather than sell.

Hope others will do the same. These people have absolutely nothing.

Shadow205
09-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Here's an idea:
What do you think?
It is already being considered. I heard it on Fox or CNN yesterday. I think a closed base in Texas is being looked at.

kato
09-02-2005, 10:07 AM
We have boxed up clothing and some non-parrishable food to take down later this afternoon. Our subdivision took up a collection for people. Blankets, pillows, etc. too. We have several trucks full. Our subdivision does a garage sale annually and people have been saving things for it. We've all decided to donate rather than sell.

Hope others will do the same. These people have absolutely nothing.

Jules:

I'm leaving work early and going to the $store and then I'm going to see if I can volunteer.

09-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Reese AFB in Lubbock, TX has been opened up for the refugees, they started arriving last night. According to our local news, we have room for 300 families at the base.

Jules
09-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Awesome Kato! Good for you! They need all the help we can give!

T'sNana
09-02-2005, 11:21 AM
We have an old hospital (they buiilt a new one) and I wrote asking if the Mayor of that town would offer it up. I doubt he will, as it's for sale but I think it will just sit there. It's not delapidated (sp?) or anything, just not as high tech as the new one. There are also many homes that are desserted (not delapidated), another hospital (closed due to not enough funds) in another town that they considered opening for "wayward teens" but that town voted against it. I wrote them as well. I am up here in Illinois, but you never know. These things could be of help...the desserted hospital could, I think, be easily made into apartments. JMO

T'sNana
09-02-2005, 11:25 AM
You know, all of these volunteers as well as FEMA, National Guard, Red Cross, Salvation Army, private citizens deserve a lot of recognition and got a BIG THANKS!!!!! from my family!! :clap:

Linda7NJ
09-02-2005, 11:29 AM
We have an old hospital (they buiilt a new one) and I wrote asking if the Mayor of that town would offer it up. I doubt he will, as it's for sale but I think it will just sit there. It's not delapidated (sp?) or anything, just not as high tech as the new one. There are also many homes that are desserted (not delapidated), another hospital (closed due to not enough funds) in another town that they considered opening for "wayward teens" but that town voted against it. I wrote them as well. I am up here in Illinois, but you never know. These things could be of help...the desserted hospital could, I think, be easily made into apartments. JMO
Sounds like an excellent idea! Kudus to you!

But I fear the " not in my back yard" mentality

T'sNana
09-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Sounds like an excellent idea! Kudus to you!

But I fear the " not in my back yard" mentality Exactly!!!...but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try.

Dara
09-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Absolutely. To anyone who helped in any capacity, a big :clap: !

I still remember seeing a man risk his life to run after a car that was being swept away in a rush of water. His was chest-deep when he pulled an older man from the car. Both could have died, but neither did, because one man risked his life. I saw that on CNN many times.

PrayersForMaura
09-02-2005, 01:16 PM
This morning, on Fox News, there was a press conference and I was headed to work and a military leader from the army was tlaking about the efforts being done in N.O. and what's being sent there and what's delaying help in certain areas... then he went on to say...
"And I'd like to set the record straight on some incorrect things
being reported in the media" or something like that and he was immediately cutt off and the anchor person took full screen. The press conference was cut off.

That is sensationalism.
I wanted to hear what he had to say.

Did anyone else catch this?
I am sorry if this is posted somewhere else but I am only on my lunch break and am looking for a quick update.

I don't know the guy's name but I will try to find it.

If you saw this segment this morning, please post here.
I'm curious about what you heard and what you thought.

Thanks!

T'sNana
09-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Sorry, I didn't catch it. But this is not time for ratings! SHEESH!

PrayersForMaura
09-02-2005, 02:10 PM
okay, i found a video of it on fox free video...

it's the army corps of engineers briefing on katrina damage
and explaining how they are trying to survey the area and navigate vessels into the area ... and right before he says he wants to clear up some things reported incorrectly in the media, they cut him off!!! Sensationalism!!!!!
My boyfriend and I BOTH heard him say it.

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player05.html?090205/ace_presser_090205&FNL&Damage%

My friend's father works for CBS and he will be down there for two weeks.
So far, he's been reporting back to my friend that it is bad.
But the media has a way of slanting certain stories too.
Just keep your mind open to that.

I pray for these people out there and hope that they can get to them before it's too late!! :(

T'sNana
09-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the update. We (American citizens) )need to see and hear all info so we can decipher for ourselves. Sensationalism is just not the way to get me to watch them for information.
okay, i found a video of it on fox free video...

it's the army corps of engineers briefing on katrina damage
and explaining how they are trying to survey the area and navigate vessels into the area ... and right before he says he wants to clear up some things reported incorrectly in the media, they cut him off!!! Sensationalism!!!!!
My boyfriend and I BOTH heard him say it.

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player05.html?090205/ace_presser_090205&FNL&Damage%

My friend's father works for CBS and he will be down there for two weeks.
So far, he's been reporting back to my friend that it is bad.

I pray for these people out there and hope that they can get to them before it's too late!! :(

Dara
09-02-2005, 02:18 PM

As long as you (and others) keep in mind that the government and other officials don't always tell the truth.

I'm hearing a lot of CYA talk, for example.

tired.old.hag
09-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Help The Youngest Victims of Hurricane Katrina Join this campaign and see the difference we can make together.

The kids at New Orleans Children's Hospital have been evacuated to Houston in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Now Texas Children's Hospital needs your help. Support these kids and their families by contributing funds for everything from transportation to temporary shelter. You and the people you know can make a difference -- Oxygen will donate $1 for every person that joins this campaign.*

Here's how to get started:
1) Click on the link below to join the campaign and start helping immediately.

2) Track your progress: With Oh! Speakup, you can see the difference you are making when you connect people together who want to send their love and support to these families.

*up to $10,000

http://speakup.oxygen.com/campaigns/

</FONT>

less0305
09-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Just keep your mind open to that.(

So true!!! My husband is forever reminding me that the media puts a spin on everything to scare the American public. And they typically show the shocking, rather than show the good. They're in it for ratings, which in turn relates to money.

ShowerSinger
09-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Fantastic! It warms my heart to think we could have made a difference. After all the phone calls and emails, here's a round of applause\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
You guys are awesome!
And lynie, you are right on! It could help the locals.

I think the FEMA guy should be fired. Ridiculous! Pre-planning is paramount for this organization. Or it shouldn't exist at all. What a waste of $'s his salary is. He should forfeit it! Why couldn't they even use some school buses to pick up these people?
(Ut-oh, I'm having a hormonal rush again!)

T'sNana
09-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks!!! I signed up and sent an email to friends and family and co-workers.

bakerprune64
09-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Fantastic! It warms my heart to think we could have made a difference. After all the phone calls and emails, here's a round of applause\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
You guys are awesome!
And lynie, you are right on! It could help the locals.

I think the FEMA guy should be fired. Ridiculous! Pre-planning is paramount for this organization. Or it shouldn't exist at all. What a waste of $'s his salary is. He should forfeit it! Why couldn't they even use some school buses to pick up these people?
(Ut-oh, I'm having a hormonal rush again!)
This is wonderful news! :clap:

09-02-2005, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure what exactly is left out at the base, besides a golf coursehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_12_5.gif, after it closed down several years ago the city turned it into Reese Technology Center and have used it for various reasons. They were assembling beds and the like yesterday and showed the women's dorms on the news. It still has to be better than a stadium.

Magnum PI
09-02-2005, 03:55 PM
What would President Andrew Jackson say........? I think it is up to Bush to walk his walk now. He didn't mind tackling Iraq, Social Security, and so forth, now it is time to "endure the unendurable" and focus on the job at hand right here at home in the Gulf Coast area, and especially New Orleans...mpi

LDC
09-02-2005, 04:02 PM
They have almost reached their quota of $10,000.00

AZ_Veteran
09-02-2005, 04:26 PM
I don't know how many of you are following the news, or don't have cable TV, but Fox News is "guesstimating" that there are over 10,000 dead in the attics of the homes that the retrieve and rescue workers have not been able to get to yet. If true, the worst national disaster in USA history in terms of human life and property damage. There will be a lot of discussion in congress as to whether New Orleans should be rebuilt or not. Maybe just the port part of it, but no French Quarter, no older parts, no parts that are at lowest levels.

Tom'sGirl
09-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Listening to any updates now..........

MrsMush99
09-02-2005, 06:08 PM
I just heard this too. Unbelievable. These poor people, fleeing for their lives only to get into an accident and one dies (at last update) on the way to safety.

poco
09-02-2005, 06:09 PM
I just heard this too. Unbelievable. These poor people, fleeing for their lives only to get into an accident and one dies (at last update) on the way to safety.

Talk about a double whammy - double PTSD! Geez!

concernedperson
09-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Isn't this just unbelievable? Makes my heart grip and wonder how much can people take?

tybee204
09-02-2005, 06:20 PM
One dead in evacuee bus crash

A bus taking evacuees from the Superdome to North Louisiana overturned this afternoon on Interstate-49 in Opelousas, leaving at least one person dead and several critically injured.

Dozens of ambulances are on the scene. Ten people have already been taken to area hospitals and emergency crews are working now to ensure the care of the bus's other occupants.

Dailyworld.com will continue to update this story today as more information becomes available.

http://www.dailyworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050902/NEWS01/50902003

concernedperson
09-02-2005, 06:40 PM
I don't know how many of you are following the news, or don't have cable TV, but Fox News is "guesstimating" that there are over 10,000 dead in the attics of the homes that the retrieve and rescue workers have not been able to get to yet. If true, the worst national disaster in USA history in terms of human life and property damage. There will be a lot of discussion in congress as to whether New Orleans should be rebuilt or not. Maybe just the port part of it, but no French Quarter, no older parts, no parts that are at lowest levels.

The French Quarter is not as in bad shape as other areas. The Mississippi River side is for the most part intact. The suburbs, north, south,east and particularly the ninth ward are in dire straights.

We are getting stories from shell-shocked relatives now. One went back into Metarie to see their house.....double bad but took the dogs out and didn't even think to bring clothes or other necessities. Checked on the kids home and at first thought to lie to them about how much water was in there. Hoping it would go away. Mental health issues will be facing all Americans for years to come.

Beyond Belief
09-02-2005, 06:56 PM
The tragedy currently unfolding in New Orleans is in many ways unprecedented in U.S. history, and it is tempting to think that the misery we are witnessing could have been avoided. I would like to suggest that some level of misery and loss of life was unavoidable. With all of the rhetoric in recent days regarding the possible role of global warming in hurricane activity, it is useful to examine weather disasters in general, and Katrina in particular, from both historical and practical points of view.

Forecast Accuracy and Warnings

Everyone knows that weather forecasts are not totally accurate. For potentially destructive and life-threatening events such as tornadoes, hurricanes, and floods, forecasters necessarily err on the side of caution. This leads to over-warning, which in turn results in some level of complacency on the part of the public. While over-warning leads to a high "probability of detection" (very few events go without warnings), it is at the expense of increased false alarms. But there really is no other acceptable choice. The only alternative would be to issue fewer warnings. But given the imprecision of hurricane forecasts, this would be at the cost of numerous events for which there were no warnings. Many, possibly most, hurricanes that hit land would either have no warnings, or would have insufficient lead time for evacuations and property protection to take place. This would be totally unacceptable to the public. Thus, we are left with the unavoidable situation where some portion of the people will not heed warnings - for example, I personally ignore most tornado warnings -- and so people will die.

Hurricane intensity and track forecasts for Hurricane Katrina were, from a historical perspective, pretty darn accurate. Early forecasts had the hurricane tracking farther east in the Florida panhandle. But as of 11 p.m. Saturday night (48 hours before high winds started reaching the coast of Louisiana) the National Hurricane Center (NHC) was forecasting an "intense hurricane". The forecast track issued at that time was almost dead-center on the eventual landfall location. Katrina ended up intensifying and moving more rapidly than normal, leading to less lead time than would have been desired for the warned areas.

Nevertheless, warnings of a "catastrophic event" were made in time for virtually all of the people who were willing and able to leave New Orleans and coastal areas to do so. Most people did indeed leave the warned areas -- but not all of them. NHC makes it a special point in the case of especially broad hurricanes such as Katrina to tell people to not focus on the exact forecast track of the eye since such a broad area will be impacted anyway.

continued here:
http://www.techcentralstation.com/090205A.html

concernedperson
09-02-2005, 07:10 PM
There is a whole forum dedicated to this. Please add there.

CherokeeKid
09-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Humane Society of the United States
HURRICANE UPDATE: HSUS RESPONDS TO KATRINA
https://community.hsus.org/ct/qdz0p_M1_zgy/ (https://community.hsus.org/ct/qdz0p_M1_zgy/)

In the past few days, we have all watched in horror and
disbelief at the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina.

In the midst of this tragedy, all of us at The Humane Society of
the United States have been heartened by the tremendous
outpouring of support for our disaster relief efforts in the
region. I'm proud to say that because of your support, our
response to assist animals and their caregivers has been
immediate.

Shortly after the hurricane slammed into the Gulf Coast, HSUS
teams were on the ground determining the areas where the most
critical relief was needed. Today, experienced HSUS rescue staff
and volunteers are working with state officials, federal
agencies, and other organizations to evacuate animals out of the
hardest-hit areas. They are also establishing pet-friendly
shelters and delivering supplies, resources, and medical
assistance.

In Louisiana, we're helping to set up an emergency facility at
the Coliseum in Baton Rouge where strays will be brought,
evaluated, and then transported to safety. While thousands of
people are being evacuated from the New Orleans Superdome and
relocated to Houston to be sheltered in the Astrodome, HSUS
volunteers are helping transport animals from evacuees arriving
at the Astrodome and ferrying them to the temporary shelter,
which will be fully operational today.

In Mississippi, seven HSUS disaster field teams left to conduct
damage and needs assessments and to provide help as they find
needs from Jackson south to the Hattiesburg area. The HSUS team
includes about 35 trained responders and 8-10 vehicles (plus
trailers and RVs), including the HSUS Disaster Response Unit.
Team capabilities include companion animals, horses, farm
animals, and wildlife. The team leaders are pushing very hard to
get help to Gulfport, Mississippi, but at this time Route 49 is
open only to state-authorized emergency vehicles.

We will continue to keep you updated on our efforts and we
expect to be granted more access to the hard hit areas over the
weekend. So many pets are trapped and alone, and we are
determined to find and rescue them. And - we plan on being there
as long as it takes.

Again, I want to personally thank you for your generosity at
this time. Quite simply, we would not be able to provide the
relief needed for stranded and injured animals in a crisis of
this magnitude without your help.

Sincerely,

Laura Bevan
Incident Commander
HSUS National Disaster Animal Response Team
Jackson, Mississippi

P.S. - Thank you for your recent donation to our Disaster Relief
Fund. Your support is so important to our efforts. If you
haven't already, please click here to let your friends know how
they can help as well:
https://community.hsus.org/ct/qdz0p_M1_zgy/ (https://community.hsus.org/ct/qdz0p_M1_zgy/)

Olivia77
09-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Forgive me if this has been posted. This is being maintained by a guy in his office building in the Central Business District. He has a live camera, and really remarkable photographs. Check it out.

www.mgno.com

kgeaux
09-02-2005, 08:18 PM
My city has set up a relief center for pets, too. It's wonderful that it's there, but it is sad to think that the evacuee is in the Cajun Dome and his pet is elsewhere. The evacuees are taken to their pets at least twice a day to spend time with them and walk them, etc.

Dara
09-02-2005, 08:22 PM
I don't remember if this has been posted, but I found this link earlier:

Hurricane Housing (http://www.hurricanehousing.org/)

Posters can offer beds or find housing.

kgeaux
09-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Isn't this just unbelievable? Makes my heart grip and wonder how much can people take?

Happened not too far from me. It is horrible. I told my friend, these poor people cannot catch a break. If there is any silver in the lining, it is that the accident occured less than a mile from Doctor's Hospital and less than a mile in the other direction, from Opelousas General.

Local news anchors are saying that the driver may be the fatality. No news on what caused the accident.

Dark Knight
09-02-2005, 08:48 PM
There is a whole forum dedicated to this. Please add there.
You mean thread, not forum, I think.

Dark Knight
09-02-2005, 08:49 PM
*Movin' on up*

concernedperson
09-02-2005, 08:51 PM
You mean thread, not forum, I think.

Thanks for being politically correct.

Anngelique
09-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Please click on the link as there is a LOT more info.

September 2, 2005
More Than 50 Countries Offer Aid To The U.S.
By BARRY SCHWEID
AP Diplomatic Writer

WASHINGTON - In an accelerating drive, more than 50 countries have pledged money or other assistance to help Americans recover from Hurricane Katrina.

The pledges blur political lines.

By Friday, offers had been received from Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Belgium, Britain, Canada, China, Colombia, Cuba, Dominica, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, France, Germany, Greece, Georgia, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Paraguay, the Philippines, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Venezuela and the United Arab Emirates.

http://katu.com/stories/79417.html

Dark Knight
09-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Thanks for being politically correct.
LOL! Just didn't want her to go searching for another forum and leave this one, where the thread is. :blowkiss:

Beyond Belief
09-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Actually, I was just posting an article. LOL

which thread are u talking about?

concernedperson
09-02-2005, 09:25 PM
LOL! Just didn't want her to go searching for another forum and leave this one, where the thread is. :blowkiss:

I know. And I really don't want to be snippy. I am kinda so upset and would love a hug. I want to fight this battle and I want these people to be OK but the issues are so real and so in my face. Just peace and resolve.

Details
09-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Which thread is that? I see several that include this topic, but nothing on this topic. Seems a valid question to me - I think that everything realistic that could have been done was. 20/20 hindsight could tell you that this one was going to be IT, and to go ahead and spend a few million or more in getting more supplies ready, people, a more strenuous evacuation - but this isn't the first time a hurricane has come around that looked to hit New Orleans hard.

I saw someone refer to Hurricane Ivan, and an unneeded evacuation that caused some people to die - an evacuation is such an expensive, intrusive, harmful option by itself that they have to be careful how much it is used. For this one, they used the strongest evacuation I've ever heard of being used pre-disaster.

I just don't see what a reasonable person without the benefit of what we know now would have done differently when Hurricane Katrina appeared to be heading their way.

The levees could have been worked on, made stronger, but not just for Katrina - that's been a long term gamble made by New Orleans for decades.

dasgal
09-02-2005, 10:24 PM
I was assigned to cover the Refugees of Hurricane Katrina coming into Reunion Arena in Downtown Dallas. I photographed only the first few hours when there were only a few hundred there. Now there are thousands.
These people drove in packed into cars with what few wet belongings they could carry. They wore the same mud soaked nighttime clothing they escaped in.
I know you have all heard of the looting, the shootings, the rapes, and the violence, but this is a small group of ****s considering the bigger picture. The people in the Superdome will die without relief and evacuation efforts.
The ones who have escaped are bone weary, wandering around asking about loved ones, and face at best an uncertain future. They have no jobs, no homes, and have lost loved ones.
Please give generously to the American Red Cross.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/elsaspet/IMG_0043web.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/elsaspet/IMG_0023web.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/elsaspet/IMG_0058web.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/elsaspet/IMG_0046web.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/elsaspet/IMG_0069web.jpg

ShowerSinger
09-02-2005, 10:36 PM
The powers that be have decided they will only accept 1,000 people at the closed army base, formerly known as Fort McClellan. Big Difference 10k versus 1k.
No big surprise, but all military bases that have been closed need to step up.

concernedperson
09-02-2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks for reminding us about humanity.

Tom'sGirl
09-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Happened not too far from me. It is horrible. I told my friend, these poor people cannot catch a break. If there is any silver in the lining, it is that the accident occured less than a mile from Doctor's Hospital and less than a mile in the other direction, from Opelousas General.

Local news anchors are saying that the driver may be the fatality. No news on what caused the accident.I looked for my thread post and found it combined here...........I was confused as they were talking about something completely different (someone combined two different topics here):rolleyes:

Anyway, back to the bus that rolled over. I heard a couple of hours ago that one of the refugees got into a physical altercation with the driver causing the accident.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Thank you for posting those very expressive, and telling, photos.

Reunion Arena - at my work today, we were told all the Dallas shelters are now full, and our area would be getting overflow from Dallas shelters. Is that what you were hearing, that Reunion is already full? And how many were estimated to be there?

Thanks!

DD

tybee204
09-02-2005, 10:46 PM
I looked for my thread post and found it combined here...........I was confused as they were talking about something completely different (someone combined two different topics here):rolleyes:

Anyway, back to the bus that rolled over. I heard a couple of hours ago that one of the refugees got into a physical altercation with the driver causing the accident.

Sorry about the goofy thread merge. Hurricane related threads are being started all over WS and I have goofed a few trying to get them all put into a central location.

dasgal
09-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Thank you for posting those very expressive, and telling, photos.

Reunion Arena - at my work today, we were told all the Dallas shelters are now full, and our area would be getting overflow from Dallas shelters. Is that what you were hearing, that Reunion is already full? And how many were estimated to be there?

Thanks!

DD
I'm ashamed to say I don't know. I took these photos early yesterday morning. I just moved and my Field Transmission Program was not working correctly and I battled all day long just to get these up. A fellow photojournalist is covering the story today. I will ask him.
However, from what I saw, they were lined up waiting to get in. Packed into cars like sardines. Covered in mud. Clearly exhasted and worried about loved ones.
Yesterday morning when I was at Reunion, I had already gotten word that they were turning them away from the Astrodome. From what I understand there are 30,000 stranded in the Superdome alone, not counting all those who managed to flee before hand. Reunion was the only place left for them after the Astrodome, so I image there are many thousands of them there now. The Astrodome was closed by the Fire Marshall because of full capacity, so I'm quite sure it could happen here as well. I don't know where all these people are going to go now. It breaks my heart. There are so many of them, I swear, you wouldn't believe it until you saw your own eyes. I had seen the news, and hadn't expected to see what I saw.

Casshew
09-02-2005, 11:05 PM
are you serious? some poor soul survives a hurricane & the days following and then is killed in a bus crash? :eek:

kgeaux
09-02-2005, 11:08 PM
I looked for my thread post and found it combined here...........I was confused as they were talking about something completely different (someone combined two different topics here):rolleyes:

They are confirming this on local news. Someone wanted the bus to pull over, and the driver was unable to do so, since the bus was part of a convoy. An evacuee got up, walked up to the driver and "initiated a physical confrontation." The bus crashed and rolled, killing one. Still no confirmation if it is the bus driver or an evacuee that died. But ALL survivors have been taken to local hospitals. Some seriously hurt.

Casshew
09-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Good story Anngelique!

Linda7NJ
09-02-2005, 11:19 PM
:woohoo: That's wonderful!

Magnum PI
09-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Is there any reason that we could not bring one of our many ballistic missle subs to help power the electrical grid? I understand one nuclear sub could power an entire city. They are portable, and paid for by the people. God knows we have enough of them to blow up the earth 100 times over. WhAT'S WRONG WITH USING ONE FOR A GOOD USA CAUSE???...MPI

Marthatex
09-02-2005, 11:40 PM
I think it is up to Bush to walk his walk now. He didn't mind tackling Iraq, Social Security, and so forth, now it is time to "endure the unendurable" and focus on the job at hand right here at home in the Gulf Coast area, and especially New Orleans...mpi

I keep hearing you with your wishful thinking. He "appeared to be walking a walk" today, but so far I am not impressed. "New Orleans will rise up again", and nearby older folks are dying. People couldn't get out to go to the Astrodome. The hospitals were critical. But he kept having these photo-ops and hugging the same people over and over again.

No, I've got his number. An awful lot would have to happen before I'd ever be convinced of his walking any walk.

Anngelique
09-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Good story Anngelique!
It truly is... see it doesn't matter what color we are, what religion we are, what country we live in, we can all get along with just a little humanity and kindness.

Magnum PI
09-03-2005, 01:00 AM
If GWB is determined to save the bodies and souls of people in Iraq that don't even want to be saved by us, how does he have a hard time wanting to save our own people?Many of us have said many things on this topic...Condi is buying shoes that would make Elmeda Marcos jealous, he's reluctently cutting his vacation short for a few photo ops...We need innovative answers NOW...exactly who is running this show?

ariel7
09-03-2005, 06:14 AM
I know. And I really don't want to be snippy. I am kinda so upset and would love a hug. I want to fight this battle and I want these people to be OK but the issues are so real and so in my face. Just peace and resolve.

awww!:(
(((((hugs))))) for you!!

I SO understand!!!

I find myself wishing more than anything that
I could just hop in my van and GO THERE and HELP somehow,
anyhow....
To see the city...to hear/read the stories...to see the ppl---especially
the children and the elderly...oh and to see the dead...those that
survived the storm only to die in the aftermath--hurts me for them.

I am SO glad that help is starting to arrive. It does NOT surprise me
that it has taken SO long though...the chaos there is astounding...
the magnitude of the disaster SO hard to grasp.:(
Doesn't seem real in a way.....doesn't seem like America...yet, I
could drive just over half a day and be there --IF I could afford the gas!

with much love,

Ariel:blowlkiss:

Cypros
09-03-2005, 07:45 AM
Understandably, the pledges flowing in from other nations are accompanied by criticisms:

As it is, criticism of Mr. Bush has been unsparing, especially abroad. European newspaper headlines used words like "anarchy" and "apocalypse" and some ordinary citizens in less fortunate parts of the world spoke with virtual contempt for what they saw as an American failure to live up to its professed ideals.

"I am absolutely disgusted," said Sajeewa Chinthaka, 36, watching a cricket match in Colombo, Sri Lanka, according to the Reuters news agency. "After the tsunami, our people, even the ones who lost everything, wanted to help the others who were suffering. Not a single tourist caught in the tsunami was mugged. Now with all this happening in the U.S., we can easily see where the civilized part of the world's population is."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/03/national/nationalspecial/03voices.html?hp&ex=1125806400&en=701f5b453c07f07a&ei=5094&partner=homepage

aussieblue
09-03-2005, 08:21 AM
and very well deserved criticism at that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but to get the whole story you need to look at more than the american media.

My heart (and tears) goes out to all those effected

~aussieblue

Cypros
09-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Oh, I am sure that the international papers are FILLED with criticism. Our ears are burning!!

This article listing pointed questions with straight answers is from a London paper:

The questions a shocked America is asking its President
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article309938.ece

Marthatex
09-03-2005, 08:37 AM
It is so gratifying to see how happy and relieved some of the refugees are to have arrived at the Astrodome. They were being interviewed last night and said the funniest thing - "this highway rocks" and one older woman yelled something at Bush I couldn't understand LOL. Her eyes were all swollen (I think from waiting out in the sun for days) I was even impressed with Gov. Rick Perry, he was really involved in setting alot of things up at the Astrodome. SBC is putting in an entire phone system so they can call their loved ones.

I was so impressed with the guys and gals that Greta interviewed. Really sweet, polite kids, kind of dazed and sad to have lost their homes but looking forward to being in Texas and receiving help.

Here in central Tx. we are receiving 5000 the last I heard, the property owners are donating apartments, and many of the businesses will be giving freebies, including Starbucks - free water and Coffee, not sure about food.

Churches are going into action, and we are receiving lists of what is needed - baby items and food, kitchen items, clothing, towels, sheets. Many of us are cleaning out our closets at this time. My son is getting involved in a shelter being set up this weekend I believe.

This is going to be an amazing opportunity to bring blacks and whites together, to help them to a certain extent with their dire straits; usually we remain so segregated.

aussieblue
09-03-2005, 09:23 AM
Well what your saying here is totally different to what your own President said.
He stated in a press conference (in your media) that criticism being made that there isnt enough help getting into N.O because everything is in Iraq is totally INCORRECT.

He stated Iraqs (budget/people/supplies etc etc) is totally seperate to your countries plan for disasters wether it be natural or terrorists etc etc.
He actually held up his hand when he was describing it (so Iraq was 1 hand your country the other hand). Iraq is not interferring with your governments response to Katrina and thats what your Pres said!

I watched his speach on tv and that was my yesterday. I cant remember what station it was of yours. Our cable is showing nearly 24 hour coverage on one channel and it is covering all your networks so its getting very confusing (what channels what).

Believe it or not i didnt post just to sledge America, i posted because i truelly believe (as well as many others) the people YOUR people have been let down by your government.

Oh and please remember that after the Tsunami your government criticised many of those countries for BADLY MANAGED PLANS for NATURAL DISASTERS and also Australia was told by your government that we need to step up and manage the Pacific/Asian region better. Australias popualtion is 20 million!
If you doubt my word on the above i will try and find some links to some articles.

I will also try and find a transcript on that tv interview that your Pres did.
Surely some one alse saw it as well, after all it was your media But I'll try anyway.

~aussieblue

PS Cypros sometimes criticism is good and i think this time it is well deserved as already the buck passing is happening. Your people deserved better than what they have got, my heart goes out to them all.

Dara
09-03-2005, 09:35 AM
I can only send a cyberhug, but cp, you've been one of the people who have helped me stay sane over this. Thank you for being here.

Dara
09-03-2005, 09:41 AM
Believe it or not i didnt post just to sledge America, i posted because i truelly believe (as well as many others) the people YOUR people have been let down by your government.

I didn't think you were trying to slam us and I feel let down, and have for a long time. I appreciate your info and look forward to any links you have. I've been reading some foreign media to see what they're saying. I like to hear from a lot of sources.

As Cypros said, the criticism is understandable. I appreciate the media, US and foreign, shining a light on this bungled mess, for without the press, I think the cover-up would be a lot more successful than the "rescue" effort.

Cypros
09-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Well what your saying here is totally different to what your own President said.
He stated in a press conference (in your media) that criticism being made that there isnt enough help getting into N.O because everything is in Iraq is totally INCORRECT.

PS Cypros sometimes criticism is good and i think this time it is well deserved as already the buck passing is happening. Your people deserved better than what they have got, my heart goes out to them all.

Aussie, Was that first part of your message to me? All I can say is that I TOTALLY agree with you. I think you have misunderstood me. I am right in there criticizing the Bush Administration (nothing new for me), the US government, etc, along with everybody else. I am not one of those Americans who views her country through rose colored glasses. I am against the Iraq War and against the US efforts to control the world. I am hoping that one of the positive results of this outrageous tragedy is that Americans will FINALLY wake up and view themselves in a new light. We are a good people and a nation with a great history but we no better than any other great people and nations. We have been sheltered from the realities of the world (and NATURE) for a long time and need a complete overhaul in the way we view ourselves and the rest of the world. The criticism from others at this tragic time is difficult to take but, IMO, mostly deserved. If Bush doesn't get impeached over this AND is handling of Iraq I will be very disappointed.

This thread is probably going to end up in the Political Forum where there are already any threads related to the hurricane and our inept government.

Linda7NJ
09-03-2005, 09:47 AM
I didn't think you were trying to slam us and I feel let down, and have for a long time. I appreciate your info and look forward to any links you have. I've been reading some foreign media to see what they're saying. I like to hear from a lot of sources.

As Cypros said, the criticism is understandable. I appreciate the media, US and foreign, shining a light on this bungled mess, for without the press, I think the cover-up would be a lot more successful than the "rescue" effort.BBC News pretty much sums it up for me:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4210674.stm

Magnum PI
09-03-2005, 10:35 AM
I keep hearing you with your wishful thinking. He "appeared to be walking a walk" today, but so far I am not impressed. "New Orleans will rise up again", and nearby older folks are dying. People couldn't get out to go to the Astrodome. The hospitals were critical. But he kept having these photo-ops and hugging the same people over and over again.

No, I've got his number. An awful lot would have to happen before I'd ever be convinced of his walking any walk.I just saw on the news huge areas burning in NO. Why didn't I see firefighting planes making runs, one after another? If houses and buildings or even forests were burning somewhere else, would we see the planes? I know, "this was unexpected" (quote GWB) like the levee breaking...mpi

Beyond Belief
09-03-2005, 10:39 AM
This is September. The height of hurricane season. Theres so much discussion on whose at fault. As a family living in an area which experienced Frances and Jeanne last year, I hope each individual along with their communities are preparing themselves. The hurricane threat doesn't end with Katrina.

aussieblue
09-03-2005, 10:55 AM
My apologies cypros i did read it wrong then.

BTW i cant find a link to that tv interview your Pres did about saying being in Iraq isnt causing any probs with getting what your people need in NO.

Im still looking though. His comments during that interview really shocked me, he seemed so distant from the suffering of his own people.

Our media is running 24/7 on this and its getting so confusing on what station and when. I really should stop watching im starting to feel very sick and ive cried so much.

My heart goes out to these people.

~aussieblue

Cypros
09-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi Aussie,

Don't worry about it.

I can't help you with finding that video clip with Bush's ludicrous statement that the fact that having all of our soldiers and resources wrapped up in Iraq isn't affecting the rescue efforts. :rolleyes: There are SO MANY clips posted on all of the web sources that it is difficult to find anything from just a few days ago. It is possible that the administration is preventing some from being posted out of embarassment. ???

Pepper
09-03-2005, 11:35 AM
I remember studying this in school many decades ago. Here's what I remember.

If left alone, the Mississippi River would change it's course continually as silt is deposited along the mouth of the river, changing the mouth back and fourth over many miles of real estate.

A very long time ago it was decided to dredge out the mouth to allow for deep water ports upstream. The Army Corp of Engineers was instrumental in dredging out the river so that cargo ships could travel inland via the Mississippi. By interfering with Mother Nature, we upset the natural flow which contributed to the problem of the city being below sea level and needing the levies on both the river and the lake on the north side.

The ACE and local government has known about the vulnerability of New Orleans for DECADES. Congress has failed to appropriate adequate funding to shore up the levy system. Local government in the N.O. area has failed to impress upon Congress the severity of the situation.

The ACE and local officials had to know exactly where the water would flow in case of breaches in the levies, and exactly how high that water would be.

Those people living in those low-lying areas should have been made aware that flooding would be up to their roof tops, and they were in extreme danger of drowning. I just don't believe those people were made aware of the extreme danger they were in. Busses should have been provided for the evacuation of these people who had no cars or means to leave the city. It wasn't done, and as a result many people died.

There is plenty of blame to go around.

less0305
09-03-2005, 11:54 AM
And haven't we heard that N.O. has been actually sinking for years??

mjak
09-03-2005, 12:09 PM
These acts of generosity from around the world make me proud to be a citizen of Earth.
May we always recongnize that citizenship and never ever alow the humanity and caring which fuels our species to diminish. Thank you world.

mjak

kgeaux
09-03-2005, 12:34 PM
I *think* she said something like "You listen to me, Mr. Bush. You will never get my vote. You didn't get it last time and you won't get it next time."

She was one angry lady and not afraid to say it, either! But for Mr. Bush, there won't be a next time, he's already in his second term.

concernedperson
09-03-2005, 12:37 PM
This is ajc links for refugees that are streaming into Atlanta. Housing, banks, schools, how to get energency food stamps etc. Lots of info.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/breaking/katrina/gethelpguide.html

nanandjim
09-03-2005, 12:45 PM
I just saw on the news huge areas burning in NO...
Who do you think are setting these fires? Do you think that it is the same people who are shooting at helicopters, policemen and emergency vehicles who are there trying to help?

ETA: I learned at the age of 5 that the media manipulates what it shows to the public. I was in the first grade, and our school had an Easter bonnet contest. The photographer chose another little boy and me to be subjects of a newspaper article. He begged me to put my hand on the boy's hat as if I were helping him adjust it. I didn't want to touch a boy, and I resisted. :) He finally persuaded me to do it, but I wasn't happy about it. You can see in the picture that I am saying something mean to the boy, and he looks wide-eyed and scared! :) The caption read, "XX helps YY adjust his Easter hat."
Very small example--but I have seen first-hand on several occasions how the "facts" are manipulated.

LadyLuck
09-03-2005, 12:46 PM
I am very impressed with how Texas is opening its cities. They seem very prepared. Very impressed with the governor.

Nova
09-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Good on Texas!

Martha, before witnesses here, I swear: no more Texas jokes and slurs from me! (At least not until the next time ya'll send us a president.)

Casshew
09-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Thank god for Texas & their big hearts.

Ntegrity
09-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Texas makes me very proud. I hope their charity is returned ten-fold.

mic730
09-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Don't mess with Texas seems to extend to Hurricaine Katrina and their neighbors too!
Texans do this country proud.
I heard today they are gooing to get the kids from LA in SA into school next week! WOW that it is one great state.

tipper
09-03-2005, 02:54 PM
From what I saw on CNN he should have been appointed and on the scene last week. But - better late than never.

US News

`John Wayne` general hits New Orleans

Sep 3, 2005, 17:55 GMT http://images.monstersandcritics.com/main_site_images/printer.jpgprinter friendly (http://news.monstersandcritics.com/northamerica/printer_1045766.php) http://images.monstersandcritics.com/main_site_images/email.jpgemail this article http://images.monstersandcritics.com/main_site_images/xml.jpg (http://corp.monstersandcritics.com/article_3947.php) NEW ORLEANS, LA, United States (UPI) -- A Louisiana native with experience in floods has been put in charge of the Army`s Task Force (http://news.monstersandcritics.com/northamerica/article_1045766.php/%60John_Wayne%60_general_hits_New_Orleans#) Katrina, winning praise even from New Orleans` unhappy mayor.

Lt. Gen. Russel Honore is 'one John Wayne (http://news.monstersandcritics.com/northamerica/article_1045766.php/%60John_Wayne%60_general_hits_New_Orleans#) dude,' Mayor Ray Nagin said in an interview this week with radio station WWL.

Stars and Stripes reports that Honore, who hails from Lakeland, La., led the 2nd Infantry Division in Korea from 2000 to 2002, dealing with flooding at many bases every year during monsoon season and supervising the installation of flood control measures.

Nagin said that sending Honore was the one thing he could give President Bush credit for -- 'he came off the doggone chopper, and he started cussin` and people started movin`!'

CNN reported that Honore has also ordered National Guard troops and even police officers in New Orleans to keep their guns pointed down. The general told CNN that he is most concerned with getting food, water and other necessities to the thousands of people still trapped in the city.

'If you ever have 20,000 people come to supper, you know what I`m talking about,' he said. 'If it`s easy, it would have been done already.'

Copyright 2005 by United Press International

Mabel
09-03-2005, 02:57 PM
It's been estimated that there are still as many as 50,000 people still trapped in their attics or on rooftops. If help doesn't get to them very soon, it'll be too late. I'm sure for many it already is. CNN has hinted that the death toll could be into the tens of thousands. I wonder if it will fall to this general to organize their rescues. It sounds like he's someone who can get things done.

Mabel
09-03-2005, 03:05 PM
I just heard that they are now bringing in the former head of FEMA, James Witt. Maybe he, in addition to the cussing general, can finally make things happen.