PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina Disaster Updates

Pages : [1] 2 3

tybee204
08-30-2005, 10:42 AM
New Thread Please Continue.

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 10:45 AM
I just heard on CNN a three star general has proposed to the pentagon to make this a military operation. He suggests Maxwell AFB as the staging for all FEMA operations, National Guard etc.

Becba
08-30-2005, 10:45 AM
I don't have updates. I have a ton of questions. I am worried many are going to die.

Becba
08-30-2005, 10:47 AM
I just heard on CNN a three star general has proposed to the pentagon to make this a military operation. He suggests Maxwell AFB as the staging for all FEMA operations, National Guard etc. And that means???
They have to move now. The levee broke. All the survivors are going to drown.

amandab
08-30-2005, 10:50 AM
And that means???
They have to move now. The levee broke. All the survivors are going to drown.

Is this a new levee break? Where is the flooding? Which survivors are you referring to?

God, I wish I worked for the Red Cross or FEMA or something, instead of this damn desk job. I feel so useless....

Becba
08-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Is this a new levee break? Where is the flooding? Which survivors are you referring to?

God, I wish I worked for the Red Cross or FEMA or something, instead of this damn desk job. I feel so useless....
Yes a new levee break. It is a levee for lake Poinchatrain. The break is 2 blocks wide. Tulane University Hospital was getting an inch of water every 5 min.
No one can evacuate their patients as fast as the water is rising.
The water will flood the homes people are ontop of the roofs of.
The survivors will have no place for dry land. They will die.

amandab
08-30-2005, 11:05 AM
Yes a new levee break. It is a levee for lake Poinchatrain. The break is 2 blocks wide. Tulane University Hospital was getting an inch of water every 5 min.

God help them........

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Becba, thank you for keeping us updated. Please post a link for the source.
Pray people please pray.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Here is a good source for info. It has info for specific areas.

http://www.nola.com/

amandab
08-30-2005, 11:18 AM
http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/news/special_packages/hurricane_katrina/12513444.htm

Lesleegp
08-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Someone else posted at the end of the other thread, and I wonder too, will this have impact the Super Dome?

amandab
08-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Someone else posted at the end of the other thread, and I wonder too, will this have impact the Super Dome?

That was me....I haven't heard anything yet....

heavenlydaze
08-30-2005, 11:33 AM
FINALLY!!!! My daughter, Tammy called a little while ago & they are safe!They are in Vancleave, Ms. about 8 mi. from Gulfport and near Biloxi. She got a signal on her cell but it didn't last long...about 10 min. but long enough to let us know they are OK...The house held up with only minor damage, and they have taken in a family from down the road (they are out in the country). The other family is OK, but they don't have a generator, & Tammy & Paul do. They are giving reports on a local radio station there telling everyone to stay where they are. There are downed power lines, debris and unstable, damaged trees.
I hope all of you & your loved ones are safe. Praying.

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 11:35 AM

It is going to depend upon how much water continues to pour into the area. The Super Dome is built fairly high up. If water continues they will have to evacuate the whole city.....disease from flood waters will be a big concern for survivors.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Just on CNN, it was said that they are afraid that many of the people who are trapped in the atics of their houses will die before they can be rescued due to lack of air. Rescue efforts are being hampered by power lines in the water which are still hot and gas lines that have not been shut off.

They fear a large number of deaths in the 9th Ward area of New Orleans from the levy which broke recently.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/30/katrina/index.html

New Orleans levee breaks

Water poured into New Orleans from Lake Pontchartrain after a two-block-long breach opened overnight in a section of a levee that protects the low-lying city. (Interactive: Map of New Orleans (http://www.cnn.com/interactive/weather/0508/map.new.orleans/frameset.exclude.html))

Nagin had said that about 80 percent of the city was flooded and that some areas were under 20 feet of water. (Watch the video account of unanswered screams -- 1:57 (javascript:cnnVideo('play','/video/us/2005/08/30/meserve.ems.lok.cnn.cnn','2005/09/06');))

CNN's John Zarrella, in a hotel on Canal Street, said the water level was "much higher" than it had been during the height of Katrina's onslaught, rising all morning Tuesday and topping the sandbags meant to keep the water out of the building.

"Water has now filled the basement of the hotel," he said. "All of the entrances to our hotel are completely surrounded, and the water is slowly creeping up the side of the building.

"Yesterday during the hurricane, the water was no where near this high."

More at the link posted above including an interactive map of New Orleans.

heavenlydaze
08-30-2005, 12:05 PM
I posted this link on the previous thread. People are leaving messages here and there are many good links from posters to current information.

http://www.slidellsentry.com/guestbook/

NewMom2003
08-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Pray people please pray.
I'm praying

FINALLY!!!! My daughter, Tammy called a little while ago & they are safe!They are in Vancleave, Ms. about 8 mi. from Gulfport and near Biloxi. She got a signal on her cell but it didn't last long...about 10 min. but long enough to let us know they are OK...The house held up with only minor damage, and they have taken in a family from down the road (they are out in the country). The other family is OK, but they don't have a generator, & Tammy & Paul do. They are giving reports on a local radio station there telling everyone to stay where they are. There are downed power lines, debris and unstable, damaged trees.

HD - I'm so happy that your daughter and family are safe.

Jules
08-30-2005, 12:16 PM
We heard from our in-laws. They are fine and in Monroe, LA. They will be heading here for a few days and then to Dallas for a few days before returning home. No word on how their home is. They are very close to the water, about a mile or so from the lake and a bayou that runs along side their home, so I'm assuming they have some water damage. At least they are safe and dry.

NewMom2003
08-30-2005, 12:20 PM
We heard from our in-laws. They are fine and in Monroe, LA. They will be heading here for a few days and then to Dallas for a few days before returning home. No word on how their home is. They are very close to the water, about a mile or so from the lake and a bayou that runs along side their home, so I'm assuming they have some water damage. At least they are safe and dry.

That's great news.

My neighbor has family here from Metarie and other parts of Louisiana.

DEPUTYDAWG
08-30-2005, 12:22 PM
I hope all of you & your loved ones are safe. Praying.

Glad to read that!

DEPUTYDAWG
08-30-2005, 12:24 PM

We were just notified that they're opening an evacuation center in one of our Districts, in Bryan, TX. Guess there's quite a large number of evacuees that came to Central Texas.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 12:25 PM
I found some information at another message board that is very upsetting. This person whose husband is a claims adjuster and is in the area told her that Homeland security is keeping the media from filming or reporting how bad it really is. (there are literally bodies floating in the street in New Orleans) They are trying to control the panic and pandemonium that would occur if broadcast to the nation. Oh my God those poor people.

Here is the link :http://www.wwltv.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2414&postdays=0&postorder=desc&start=0

DEPUTYDAWG
08-30-2005, 12:35 PM
I found some information at another message board that is very upsetting. This person whose husband is a claims adjuster and is in the area told her that Homeland security is keeping the media from filming or reporting how bad it really is. (there are literally bodies floating in the street in New Orleans) They are trying to control the panic and pandemonium that would occur if broadcast to the nation. Oh my God those poor people.

Here is the link :http://www.wwltv.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2414&postdays=0&postorder=desc&start=0

I could understand a little discretion being emphasized when it comes to showing film of bodies drifting...I don't think they should censor the story per se, but showing bodies floating down the "rivers" can really upset children, etc. I hope the media uses their senses appropriately in such a serious matter. :hand:

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Just on FOX, Mayor orders emergency evacuation of New Orleans.

Cypros
08-30-2005, 01:02 PM

Where was Homeland "Security" a couple of days ago when thousands of citizens of New Orleans needed assistance evacuating? I saw nothing about help being sent for those unable to get out themselves. The government could have sent big trucks into NO to transport elderly, infirm, families of low-income, etc. Now they're saying not to show the public the devastation of a natural disaster? Maybe some of the thrill-seekers who stayed behind intentionally to ride out the "Big One" would have made another choice if hurricanes and other such disasters weren't treated and censored (family-safe) entertainment.

Sorry about the rant, but there are a lot of unnecessary deaths here.

Gabby
08-30-2005, 01:02 PM
I posted this link on the previous thread. People are leaving messages here and there are many good links from posters to current information.

http://www.slidellsentry.com/guestbook/

Wonderful News.... the very best

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 01:20 PM
I just heard news from my ex-husband who is a civil engineer and worked with the Corps of Engineers in New Orleans. According to him and contacts he has with FEMA the levees are severely compromised in the Lake Ponchartrain area. The breaks are causing a ripple effect and more water is continuing to flow out.

Although my stepson and his wife are safe and heading back to Atlanta to stay here for awhile, her sister and mother and father are on the 4th floor of a hospital in Kenner. The hospital is without patients and they are in the administrative section. They have a generator and limited phone use but are running out of food. Rescue workers are helping the people on roofs first so they won't be on an immediate list for rescue. Water is up to the second floor of the hospital. I think many people are trapped all over and we just know about them yet. Prayers for the people.

WISCer
08-30-2005, 01:22 PM

Glad they're okay. I live approximately 1 hour from Monroe. I know that in times past and now Monroe has set up to help in emergencies such as this. Our little town doesn't have huge buildings like a civic center but we are offering free RV parking to those who managed to evacuate with their RVs.

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Man jumps to death inside Super Dome. On CNN.

amandab
08-30-2005, 01:29 PM
Man jumps to death inside Super Dome. On CNN.

OH

MY

GOD

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 01:30 PM
map of New Orleans and surrounding area

http://mq-mapgend.websys.aol.com/?e=9&GetMapDirect=Gme5diw%2ca%3a9u12%3b%40%24lh%2d1sqa7 2%26%3d12%216t5h67%3a5%2dtsu672%26y%400gyz0g%40b5g yza%26u2gu%2c2%3a9672%3b%40b20w%24%3a%26%40%24lh%2 d1sqa72%26%3d12%216t5h67%3a%26%4025u6%40l%3b%40zau u%24%3a

Mabel
08-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Rescuers are being told not to worry about the dead bodies at this time, there are too many people waiting (hoping) to be saved. It just doesn't seem real.

amandab
08-30-2005, 01:39 PM
Rescuers are being told not to worry about the dead bodies at this time, there are too many people waiting (hoping) to be saved. It just doesn't seem real.

Echoes of Camille. I think they made a statement like that during cleanup after she hit, too...

kgeaux
08-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Looting beginning in New Orleans. A WinnDixie near the French Quarter had its shelves literally emptied. Cameras were rolling, thiefs are on tape. If they should live to be prosecuted, that is. Because water continues to rise. No power in the entire city. Mayor wants all flat boats brought to a certain area for use in rescue attempts.

And, finally, the Red Cross has opened the CajunDome in Lafayette as an emergency shelter. A couple of days late.

We have many evacuees in our area who cannot return home, indeed probably don't have anything to return to, and they can't afford to pay for hotel rooms forever.

The mood amongst the evacuees across the street from me is getting more somber by the moment.

shadow, I wouldn't be surprised if cameras were prohibited from filming the extent of the damage, I wonder if the same rules apply in MS and AL?

cypros, This is not to say everything possible was done, because obviously everything was not done: but busses were sent into lower income areas to pick up those who would leave. Some chose to stay, some probably could not get to the "designated pickup" areas. I would imagine some people do not even have access to tv/media reports and perhaps did not know where to go to be given a ride out.

FACE-IT
08-30-2005, 01:45 PM
I just heard news from my ex-husband who is a civil engineer and worked with the Corps of Engineers in New Orleans. According to him and contacts he has with FEMA the levees are severely compromised in the Lake Ponchartrain area. The breaks are causing a ripple effect and more water is continuing to flow out.

SNIP

New Orleans may have been a bit premature in their happiness that Katrina spared them a direct strike. With so much rain upriver, and the levees compromised in the Lake Ponchartrain area, the situation could rapidly degrade. This could get very, very, serious again, in a hurry.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 01:55 PM
I just heard on FOX that Canal St. is now flooded and waves are lapping in the street on Bourbon St. This morning there were people walking around and some businesses were reopening. I think that everyone thought that the worst was behind them. I don't think that is the case at all. The levey's are spilling water, what is the possibility of them breaking unleashing a rush of water? That is a very scary thought.

shopper
08-30-2005, 02:02 PM
Some of those people that couldn't/didn't want to evacuate are among the poorest of the poor. I can't imagine being in that situation.

I wish there was more I could do, but no one other than Bill Gates has the kind of money that would make a difference to all of these people who have lost their homes, their everything. But I can give some money to the Red Cross and pray for them. Also, I have the biggest garbage bag filled to where it's almost ripping full of clothes that I had planned to give to my SIL. They are clothes that I just no longer wanted or that don't fit, no rags. Also, my husband has some clothes that no longer fit and I can give those too. My SIL will understand that there are those that NEED those clothes. Also, I think I will go buy packs of underwear and socks to put in with them.

The problems that will arise from this flooding boggle my mind. The disease, snakes, bugs, etc that someone mentioned...it's like a third world country now. And the looting, don't get me started. New Orleans is one of my favorite long weekend places to visit, and I think tourism is vital, so it will be a long recovery.

:(

FACE-IT
08-30-2005, 02:04 PM
I just heard on FOX that Canal St. is now flooded and waves are lapping in the street on Bourbon St. This morning there were people walking around and some businesses were reopening. I think that everyone thought that the worst was behind them. I don't think that is the case at all. The levey's are spilling water, what is the possibility of them breaking unleashing a rush of water? That is a very scary thought.It doesn't sound good at all. With this happening, and being aware of how many people needed rescuing before this even began, it paints a very dire picture. As cp posted, this could become an escalating situation very quickly.

heavenlydaze
08-30-2005, 02:05 PM
Another message board link where people are posting about damage in their respective areas and leaving messages for loved ones.

http://www.wwltv.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2414&postdays=0&postorder=desc&start=0

Praying for people in New Orleans.

FACE-IT
08-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Some of those people that couldn't/didn't want to evacuate are among the poorest of the poor. I can't imagine being in that situation.

I wish there was more I could do, but no one other than Bill Gates has the kind of money that would make a difference to all of these people who have lost their homes, their everything. But I can give some money to the Red Cross and pray for them. Also, I have the biggest garbage bag filled to where it's almost ripping full of clothes that I had planned to give to my SIL. They are clothes that I just no longer wanted or that don't fit, no rags. Also, my husband has some clothes that no longer fit and I can give those too. My SIL will understand that there are those that NEED those clothes. Also, I think I will go buy packs of underwear and socks to put in with them.

The problems that will arise from this flooding boggle my mind. The disease, snakes, bugs, etc that someone mentioned...it's like a third world country now. And the looting, don't get me started. New Orleans is one of my favorite long weekend places to visit, and I think tourism is vital, so it will be a long recovery.

:(One of the stations was reporting that, with the refineries in the immediate area, and the above ground cemeteries, if New Orleans floods completely, it could become permanently uninhabitable, due to all of the contamination. That sounds bleak.

NewMom2003
http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/galleries/305-2.html?SITE=TXHOU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Here is a link with photos.

Looting beginning in New Orleans. A WinnDixie near the French Quarter had its shelves literally emptied. Cameras were rolling, thiefs are on tape. If they should live to be prosecuted, that is. Because water continues to rise. No power in the entire city. Mayor wants all flat boats brought to a certain area for use in rescue attempts.

I don't understand some people. I know this sounds harsh, but I hope rescue attempts aren't made for people who are intentionally putting themselves in danger by looting the stores, etc.

kgeaux

:(

You are a sweetie. As much as we want and need the government to step in and solve this, you are showing us that we as individuals can make an impact too. If we each do what we can, we can make this nightmare a little better for the victims of this storm.

My hubby was reading your post, and he said "mosquitoes." The mosquito population is going to boom exponentially with all this flooding, and west nile is already a BIG problem in south Louisiana.

You know, if NO would have taken a direct hit, it wouldn't be here today. If taking on the west and easier side of the storm can do this, it would just be a pile of rubble today from a direct hit.

My "across the street evacuees" live in Metarie. They are all pretty sure they've lost everything.

shopper
08-30-2005, 02:13 PM
One of the stations was reporting that, with the refineries in the immediate area, and the above ground cemeteries, if New Orleans floods completely, it could become permanently uninhabitable, due to all of the contamination. That sounds bleak.

I didn't think about that. That does sound bleak.

I wish there was something I could do for these people. My idea about the clothes sounds stupid now. And maybe I was too harsh about the looters, these people are desperate and are in survival mode. (But IMO it's no excuse to loot, say an electronics store; grocery stores, I can see.) I can't imagine the desperation.

Mabel
08-30-2005, 02:17 PM
While some of the looters are helping themselves to valuables, like electronics, it's also reported that many of them are taking things like diapers and infant formula. Why aren't the store owner's donating these things?

Details
08-30-2005, 02:20 PM
While some of the looters are helping themselves to valuables, like electronics, it's also reported that many of them are taking things like diapers and infant formula. Why aren't the store owner's donating these things?I think because the store owners have already left. I can definitely understand looting a grocery store - it's not like it's open, and people need food.

NewMom2003
08-30-2005, 02:20 PM
While some of the looters are helping themselves to valuables, like electronics, it's also reported that many of them are taking things like diapers and infant formula. Why aren't the store owner's donating these things?

That's a good question. My earlier post was too harsh about the looting. I understand that people are desperate and trying to get what they need anywhere they can get it. The ones that are looting beer, electronics, etc. are the ones making me mad.

LDC
08-30-2005, 02:21 PM
The looters are takeing stuff that they can get the most $$$ from..they will sell the diapers and forumula along with the electronics..their might be a few of them who actually need that stuff..but mostly to make a profit.

amandab
08-30-2005, 02:21 PM

All I can guess is maybe they've evacuated. Seems like the store owners have already taken such a financial hit, it'd be logical to donate what you can.

If the water keeps rising, everything in boxes (I'm thinking pasta, cereal, things of that nature) will become unusable. I wouldn't think the plastic diaper wrapping is waterproof, either.

Literally, use it or lose it.

Cypros
08-30-2005, 02:26 PM
cypros, This is not to say everything possible was done, because obviously everything was not done: but busses were sent into lower income areas to pick up those who would leave. Some chose to stay, some probably could not get to the "designated pickup" areas. I would imagine some people do not even have access to tv/media reports and perhaps did not know where to go to be given a ride out.

Thanks for that information. I am glad to hear that some efforts were made to help those who really couldn't help themselves. Obviously there was a very limited time of warning which severly hampered evacuation efforts.

As for the looting of grocery stores.... I think the stores should allow people to take all they need as long as they do it in a civil manner. The food will be destroyed anyway if it is allowed to sit there. The stores have insurance. The survivors need food, clean (bottled) water, diapers, etc. Let them have it. I'm not condoning the looting, but I really don't understant the store and police efforts to keep desparate people away from basic survival supplies.

Obviously nobody in NO is in need of electonic equipment or designer jeans so that looting is uncalled for. However, I do think police/rescue efforts should be focused on rescuing people and not on saving retail stock.

Mabel
08-30-2005, 02:30 PM
They're marking homes. A black mark signifies dead people inside. Red means people are injured. They can't help these people right now and will have to come back to them. "Hundreds" of people are now said to be dead in Biloxi.

heavenlydaze
08-30-2005, 02:32 PM

I wish there was something I could do for these people. My idea about the clothes sounds stupid now. And maybe I was too harsh about the looters, these people are desperate and are in survival mode. (But IMO it's no excuse to loot, say an electronics store; grocery stores, I can see.) I can't imagine the desperation.

Shopper,
This is certainly NOT a stupid idea. Hang onto those cloths. These people will need them, but until distribution points are set up, there will be no way to get them there. If you belong to a church or civic organization, you might ask them about starting a collection drive for things that will be needed. Start it now. In a few days, relief efforts will surley be underway.The Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc...can only do so much. It's people like yourself that will make a difference. You have a very kind heart.

Lesleegp
08-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Conditions in the Superdome (http://www.nola.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/news-18/1125406441204371.xml&storylist=louisiana)

I can't imagine not having fresh air to breathe. And the poor folks in wheelchairs and people with IV's......stacked up five rows deep. This is unreal.

Mabel
08-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Conditions in the Superdome (http://www.nola.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/news-18/1125406441204371.xml&storylist=louisiana)

I can't imagine not having fresh air to breathe. And the poor folks in wheelchairs and people with IV's......stacked up five rows deep. This is unreal.

It sounds like it has the potential to become a very unheathly situation. Raw sewage in the bathrooms, the heat, the poor air quality....I hope they can find solutions soon.

FACE-IT
08-30-2005, 02:38 PM

I wish there was something I could do for these people. My idea about the clothes sounds stupid now. And maybe I was too harsh about the looters, these people are desperate and are in survival mode. (But IMO it's no excuse to loot, say an electronics store; grocery stores, I can see.) I can't imagine the desperation.Most looters don't have to be desperate, or in a survival mode, to loot. All they need is some type of chaotic situation, to allow them the opportunity, to turn themselves into animals. The officers, in Biloxi, have been told to deal with them in the harshest manner allowable under the law. This happens everytime anything like this happens. Not only do they loot businesses, but they go into the deserted homes, of the people who evacuated, and steal everything they can.

NewMom2003
08-30-2005, 02:39 PM

Unbelievable. Those poor people.

NewMom2003
08-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Most looters don't have to be desperate, or in a survival mode, to loot. All they need is some type of chaotic situation, to allow them the opportunity, to turn themselves into animals. The officers, in Biloxi, have been told to deal with them in the harshest manner allowable under the law. This happens everytime anything like this happens. Not only do they loot businesses, but they go into the deserted homes, of the people who evacuated, and steal everything they can.

Here is an article about the looting in New Orleans. The mentality of some people is unreal.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/3331427

08-30-2005, 02:53 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_10.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_10.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_10.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_10.gif Prayers for all of the people affected by this tragedy. Our local red cross headed down there last night and we have several funds for the victims set up at local banks. I hope the waters recede quickly and we can all start to help our nation rebuild the affected areas.
As for the looters- isn't the National Guard patroling the areas?

Cypros
08-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Anybody hear more about the suicide in the Superdome? I wonder why he did it? Jeanne Meserve just reported on the conditions inside and it certainly didn't sound desparate -- very uncomfortable but far from worthy of suicide.

Details
08-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Sounds like there's some fun - some kids are playing football on the football field in the Superdome. Now that's a story to tell your kids - I once played football there!

shopper
08-30-2005, 02:58 PM
Shopper,
This is certainly NOT a stupid idea. Hang onto those cloths. These people will need them, but until distribution points are set up, there will be no way to get them there. If you belong to a church or civic organization, you might ask them about starting a collection drive for things that will be needed. Start it now. In a few days, relief efforts will surley be underway.The Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc...can only do so much. It's people like yourself that will make a difference. You have a very kind heart.

Thanks, I just thought it may have sounded trivial or naive, in light of the diseases, floating bodies and things I can't wrap my mind around. But all of these people will need anything and everything and things I don't need or want, I can give to them. And a little money. But to just have clean clothes and a change of clothes and some food and water may be all these people can handle right now. I will get busy on that!

I heard on CNN a little while ago that they were in need of doctors and nurses in the hospitals (in Biloxi, I think). I am presently in school to be a surgical tech, I wish I was finished so I could go and help them. Unfortunately, I'm sure one day I can help with another hurricane.

This is just devastating.

Lesleegp
08-30-2005, 03:00 PM
My best friend's husband is from NOLA. His family left Saturday. Their house is very near the broken levee and the house is old. They are sure it's too far gone. Anyway, he is a DDS MD and is leaving tomorrow going to NOLA to volunteer his expertise and he hopes to get a peek at his home place.

BarnGoddess
08-30-2005, 03:03 PM
The looters are takeing stuff that they can get the most $$$ from..they will sell the diapers and forumula along with the electronics..their might be a few of them who actually need that stuff..but mostly to make a profit.
If memory serves me right, looting bacame a problem during and after Andrew. The order went out quickly that looters would be shot. The order stopped a lot of looting in its tracks.

I was fortunate during Andrew not to have lived in the area that was flattened. We lost trees and had some minor roof damage and no water or power for a couple of weeks. This is just devastating. The flooding and broken sewer lines are causing some terrible conditions. My family has gone from NO long ago. The last one passed away recently. However, the bones of the Weymouth's could very well be floating soon. Several generations of them are buried there in one crypt.

I know frustration will set in, hopelessness and helplessness too. The best thing would be for immediate efforts made to help. And help not only for those who stayed behind and didn't heed the warnings. Those who followed instructions and at this time have no idea if they will have a home. Those people need immediate help for their worries and fears. Hopefully the Red Cross and Salvation Army will be there for them as well as workers to rescue the stranded.

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Anybody hear more about the suicide in the Superdome? I wonder why he did it? Jeanne Meserve just reported on the conditions inside and it certainly didn't sound desparate -- very uncomfortable but far from worthy of suicide.

The reporter from WGNO was giving the report and she said that the man was playing dominos and quietly got up yelled at 2 people to move out of the way and jumped.

NewMom2003
08-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Devastation in New Orleans:
'We have whitecaps on Canal Street'

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/3331422

nanandjim
08-30-2005, 03:13 PM
...Hopefully the Red Cross and Salvation Army will be there for them as well as workers to rescue the stranded.
Two of my favorite charities. In my experience they are always there when needed.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 03:18 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_10.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_10.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_10.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_10.gif Prayers for all of the people affected by this tragedy. Our local red cross headed down there last night and we have several funds for the victims set up at local banks. I hope the waters recede quickly and we can all start to help our nation rebuild the affected areas.

Search and rescue is more important at this time than catching looters. Not saying that it is OK to loot but rescuing these people is a priority.

BarnGoddess
08-30-2005, 03:21 PM
Our car salesman is the local fire chief here. Both of his sons are also volunteer firemen. One is a bank president the other is an airplane mechanic. The bank president located here is flying to meet his brother in Waco, Texas. They are driving with as many boats as they can round up with other firemen to help with the rescue efforts. Both employers are granting leave as long as necessary for them to help out. The son in Waco lived in Lake Charles until recently.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 03:25 PM
Reading and seeing all of the stories is just heart breaking. So many people have lost everything. Yes, they can rebuild somehow and life will go on eventually, but what about those who can't. I have a Great Aunt who is in her late 90's who lives maybe 2 blocks inland from Mobile Bay. I have no idea if she is alive or not. If she is, how will she rebuild? How do you start over after loosing everything when you are that old? She is a spunky ole lady, still living on her own but what now? Please include her in your prayers. Her name is Josie.

nanandjim
08-30-2005, 03:28 PM
Reading and seeing all of the stories is just heart breaking. So many people have lost everything. Yes, they can rebuild somehow and life will go on eventually, but what about those who can't. I have a Great Aunt who is in her late 90's who lives maybe 2 blocks inland from Mobile Bay. I have no idea if she is alive or not. If she is, how will she rebuild? How do you start over after loosing everything when you are that old? She is a spunky ole lady, still living on her own but what now? Please include her in your prayers. Her name is Josie.
Did she evacuate? Does she have friends in the area? My thoughts and prayers are with Josie.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 03:33 PM
Did she evacuate? Does she have friends in the area? My thoughts and prayers are with Josie.
I have no idea nanandjim if she evacuated or not. She has no family there and don't think that she was really into the senior citizen type organizations. I just hope that the neighborhood that she lives in watched out for each other. I am going to try and locate her through the Red Cross but I won't even try for a couple of days.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 03:35 PM
I just heard on FOX that the emergency generator that they are using at the Super Dome is "showing signs of stress." Water is also creeping up around the outside. This is a nightmare.

nanandjim
08-30-2005, 03:36 PM
... I am going to try and locate her through the Red Cross but I won't even try for a couple of days.
Did she have transportation? Could she have gotten to a shelter? I wonder how hard that area was hit. Here is a website where you might find someone in the area who can tell you how bad the area was hit.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?q=Mobile%2C+alabama&returnTo=%2FForumHome

amandab
08-30-2005, 03:39 PM
I just heard on FOX that the emergency generator that they are using at the Super Dome is "showing signs of stress." Water is also creeping up around the outside. This is a nightmare.

Maybe I'm being overdramatic, but that place is sounding more and more like a deathtrap.

heavenlydaze
08-30-2005, 03:40 PM

Shadow,
Please let us know when you hear from Josie. She sounds like a really cool ol' gal. Heck, she's probably comforting some of the young'uns as we speak.
I'll bet she has a lot of stories to tell! As far as wondering what she will do now? Well... obviously, she has a loving family. It will all come together. :blowkiss:

BirdieBoo
08-30-2005, 03:51 PM
About the clothing donations: Here's an article (http://www.disasternews.net/news/news.php?articleid=11), they say clothing donations aren't a good idea right now.

What we have done, and what we are doing, is cleaning out our closets and auctioning items on ebay through MissionFish (http://www.missionfish.org/index.html) and ebay giving works. The way it works is that you can auction items and designate a percent of the proceeds (up to 100%) towards particular charities of your own choosing. Right now, our donations are going to United Way of Greater New Orleans, and Salvation Army.

It's something that works for us, it may not work for other people, I don't have much cash on hand to donate since I JUST went back to school full time and spent a boatload of money on books and supplies, Ebay auctioning is a bit of work but I can feel good about the fact that I am generating some money for charity by work I can actually do right at home.

Just something to think about, I know some of the other WS peeps sell on ebay, too.

Also, if it's not against your religion: DONATE BLOOD!

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Did she have transportation? Could she have gotten to a shelter? I wonder how hard that area was hit. Here is a website where you might find someone in the area who can tell you how bad the area was hit.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?q=Mobile%2C+alabama&returnTo=%2FForumHome
From what I can find Nanandjim it was hit very hard. Thank you for the web site, I'll check it out. Thanks to all of you for your concerns about Aunt Josie. I will update on her as soon as I know something. You are probably right Heavenlydaze, she probably is comforting some young'uns somewhere. I just hope that she wasn't stuborn and tried to ride it out.

kahskye
08-30-2005, 04:04 PM
I just heard on FOX that Canal St. is now flooded and waves are lapping in the street on Bourbon St. This morning there were people walking around and some businesses were reopening. I think that everyone thought that the worst was behind them. I don't think that is the case at all. The levey's are spilling water, what is the possibility of them breaking unleashing a rush of water? That is a very scary thought.
Yeah, I was watching the news last night showing a bar open on Bourbon St. The owner was celebrating and there were quite a few people drinking and cheering that they made it through Hurricane Katrina. Even tho curfew was 8 p.m. and it was 9 p.m., police weren't doing much about them. Last I heard, Bourbon St. had 9" of water. I'm sure it's higher now. Poor people!

Mabel
08-30-2005, 04:08 PM
From what I'm seeing on TV, I can't understand how they're opening any businesses. The roads are mostly impassable. There is no water or power, gas lines are broken and uncapped. Fires are breaking out all over the place. It seems impossible.

amandab
08-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I was watching the news last night showing a bar open on Bourbon St. The owner was celebrating and there were quite a few people drinking and cheering that they made it through Hurricane Katrina. Even tho curfew was 8 p.m. and it was 9 p.m., police weren't doing much about them. Last I heard, Bourbon St. had 9" of water. I'm sure it's higher now. Poor people!

Does anyone know if the water is still rising?

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 04:10 PM

They have got to set up a tent city somewhere on higher ground and do this super fast. Possibly up I-49 where there is a lot of open land. The fires going on and the raw sewage flood water will be causing many, many more deaths.

FEMA has supplies put no dry place to put them.

heavenlydaze
08-30-2005, 04:10 PM
About the clothing donations: Here's an article (http://www.disasternews.net/news/news.php?articleid=11), they say clothing donations aren't a good idea right now.

What we have done, and what we are doing, is cleaning out our closets and auctioning items on ebay through MissionFish (http://www.missionfish.org/index.html) and ebay giving works. The way it works is that you can auction items and designate a percent of the proceeds (up to 100%) towards particular charities of your own choosing. Right now, our donations are going to United Way of Greater New Orleans, and Salvation Army.

It's something that works for us, it may not work for other people, I don't have much cash on hand to donate since I JUST went back to school full time and spent a boatload of money on books and supplies, Ebay auctioning is a bit of work but I can feel good about the fact that I am generating some money for charity by work I can actually do right at home.

Just something to think about, I know some of the other WS peeps sell on ebay, too.

Birdie,
I had no idea this was the case. I hope 'shopper' is reading. I think I may have given her bad advice. My own church is organizing a clothing drive. I'm going to email your article to the lady in charge of this. We need to change plans. Thanks for the info.
Deb

Mabel
08-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Does anyone know if the water is still rising?

They're reporting that it is. Someone at the pentagon was interviewed - she said the military is being sent in to try to repair the levees.

shopper

Thank you for that link Birdie, it doesn't surprise me that clothing donations can be a burden for the workers. I'll just hang onto them and keep my eyes and ears open for a place to send them if/when they are needed. I'd be willing to donate it to an organization that will sell them and they can send the money to FEMA or Red Cross, etc.

I know what you mean about school and spending a ton of money on tuition and books/supplies. Books are a rip-off!!! So I just don't have much extra at this time. I go full-time and don't have time to bother with selling it on Ebay, I'd rather give it to the needy.

nanandjim
From what I'm seeing on TV, I can't understand how they're opening any businesses. The roads are mostly impassable. There is no water or power, gas lines are broken and uncapped. Fires are breaking out all over the place. It seems impossible.
I'm thinking that the places have generators and stocked up on water... I don't know about the restrooms, though.

If I were still in town, I would do my best to head out, if possible. Is it possible to leave now?? Are planes able to fly in and out of the airport??

Lesleegp
08-30-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm thinking that the places have generators and stocked up on water... I don't know about the restrooms, though.

If I were still in town, I would do my best to head out, if possible. Is it possible to leave now?? Are planes able to fly in and out of the airport??

Something I read earlier said both airports in NOLA are under water.

amandab
08-30-2005, 04:14 PM

Last I knew both airports were stil underwater.

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 04:15 PM

I'll take this one, Nan. New Orleans has had a complete failure of the sewer system. No toilets are flushing anywhere and what sewer not in a toilet is spilling over into the streets. Both airports are under water.

Only the military can help now.

BirdieBoo
08-30-2005, 04:19 PM
Thank you for that link Birdie, it doesn't surprise me that clothing donations can be a burden for the workers. I'll just hang onto them and keep my eyes and ears open for a place to send them if/when they are needed. I'd be willing to donate it to an organization that will sell them and they can send the money to FEMA or Red Cross, etc.

I know what you mean about school and spending a ton of money on tuition and books/supplies. Books are a rip-off!!! So I just don't have much extra at this time. I go full-time and don't have time to bother with selling it on Ebay, I'd rather give it to the needy.

Y/W Shopper. I have some bags of clothes, as well as other household items including furniture and I contacted the Salvation army and they said they will take donations of items right now, but they won't go directly to the hurricane victims, they'll just be sold in the stores as usual.

So I decided to sell them myself and donate 100% of the proceeds to the charities. The charities right now need CASH, so this way I get rid of my stuff to someone who wants it, and the charities get a check from ebay.

nanandjim
08-30-2005, 04:22 PM
I'll take this one, Nan. New Orleans has had a complete failure of the sewer system. No toilets are flushing anywhere and what sewer not in a toilet is spilling over into the streets. Both airports are under water.

Only the military can help now.
Thanks. I can only say that I bet the people who evacuated are thanking God that they heeded the warning and were able to get out in time. I can only see it getting worse before it gets better...

shopper
08-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Y/W Shopper. I have some bags of clothes, as well as other household items including furniture and I contacted the Salvation army and they said they will take donations of items right now, but they won't go directly to the hurricane victims, they'll just be sold in the stores as usual.

So I decided to sell them myself and donate 100% of the proceeds to the charities. The charities right now need CASH, so this way I get rid of my stuff to someone who wants it, and the charities get a check from ebay.

I want anything I have to give to go directly to the victims of Katrina, and those that were hit the hardest, not my local Salvation Army, so thanks for the info. Not to be ugly, but that's just my feelings.

I'll just hang onto them for the time being and be searching for an organization that wants them or can sell them and give the money to the victims. I know everyone has good intentions but I want it to be a need and not a burden to all the workers.

P.S. Water "lapping at the foot" of the Superdome, Gov. Kathleen Blanco on CNN now.

amandab
08-30-2005, 04:26 PM
P.S. Water "lapping at the foot" of the Superdome, Gov. Kathleen Blanco on CNN now.

Does anyone know how high above sea level the SuperDome is? Would give a decent estimate as to how high the water has risen........

FACE-IT
08-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I was watching the news last night showing a bar open on Bourbon St. The owner was celebrating and there were quite a few people drinking and cheering that they made it through Hurricane Katrina. Even tho curfew was 8 p.m. and it was 9 p.m., police weren't doing much about them. Last I heard, Bourbon St. had 9" of water. I'm sure it's higher now. Poor people!The bar owner said it turned into a "Hurricane Party." Their celebration was a bit too premature.

less0305
08-30-2005, 04:31 PM
Last I knew both airports were stil underwater.

And CNN reported earlier there is only one road out of NO now....but they don't know how long it will be open. I don't imagine NO has a way to get 20,000 people currently at the dome out of town on that one road when none of those folks have transportation. I know they are in a dark hole, not knowing how bad things are all around them, but CNN said that some of the stranded there are going outside on the circular catwalk type thing and all they can see is water, so they must realize that even tho it's bad at the dome, there is nowhere they can go.

Jules
08-30-2005, 04:33 PM
Does anyone know how high above sea level the SuperDome is? Would give a decent estimate as to how high the water has risen........

Fox News just reported 3 foot of water surrounding Super Dome. Don't know how far above sea level they are though.

We finally heard from our in-laws and sister-in-law. In-laws sustained some minor roof damage and lots of branches down - but no water. They are headed home. They will have no power but are stopping to buy a generator.

SIL had no damage at all but some branches down. A neighbor a few houses down had a tree fall on her house. They are still planning on coming to our house for a week or so or until power is restored. They will be here tomorrow.

All-in-all, they have been very lucky.

shopper
08-30-2005, 04:36 PM

Sorry, I don't know that info. It would've been okay if the levee's hadn't broke.

BTW, have any of you seen that footage of I-10, just broken into pieces. I believe it's over Lake Ponchatrain. I've always been a little nervous going over that stretch of road.

BirdieBoo
08-30-2005, 04:37 PM
I want anything I have to give to go directly to the victims of Katrina, and those that were hit the hardest, not my local Salvation Army, so thanks for the info. Not to be ugly, but that's just my feelings.

I know Shopper. That's how I feel as well, I know the Salvation Army is helping, but I want assistance to be as direct as possible to those victims who need help. That's why I decided to go my own route with this, My local SA store is full of stuff already and I am a really good ebay seller, so I know I'll be able to make some money for them this way, that's money I wouldn't ordinarily have right now to give. So basically, I'm donating my time to raise funds by selling our stuff.

Plus I have a lot of stuff that hurricane victims may not want or need immediately, like home decor items and designer purses, which don't make much sense for people who don't even have a home anymore and are just trying to get through the day.

I'm trying to find out if there's some way to donate other care items that people may need, such as toothbrushes, diapers, etc, but I haven't come up with anything yet.

Jules
08-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Sorry, I don't know that info. It would've been okay if the levee's hadn't broke.

BTW, have any of you seen that footage of I-10, just broken into pieces. I believe it's over Lake Ponchatrain. I've always been a little nervous going over that stretch of road.

The footage they've been showing is the Causeway from Metairie to Mandeville. But, I suspect I-10 has some damage too.

I'm listening to talk radio and they just had someone from New Orleans on stating that they could be without power up to 60 (YES, 60) days. OMG! Those poor people.

nanandjim
08-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Are there any websites set up for Red Cross and Salvation Army credit card donations? If so, could someone post them?

LDC
08-30-2005, 04:42 PM

Search and rescue is more important at this time than catching looters. Not saying that it is OK to loot but rescuing these people is a priority.

yeah..rescue the looters:clap:

shopper
08-30-2005, 04:42 PM
I know Shopper. That's how I feel as well, I know the Salvation Army is helping, but I want assistance to be as direct as possible to those victims who need help. That's why I decided to go my own route with this, My local SA store is full of stuff already and I am a really good ebay seller, so I know I'll be able to make some money for them this way, that's money I wouldn't ordinarily have right now to give. So basically, I'm donating my time to raise funds by selling our stuff.

Plus I have a lot of stuff that hurricane victims may not want or need immediately, like home decor items and designer purses, which don't make much sense for people who don't even have a home anymore and are just trying to get through the day.

I'm trying to find out if there's some way to donate other care items that people may need, such as toothbrushes, diapers, etc, but I haven't come up with anything yet.

My feelings exactly!

less0305
08-30-2005, 04:43 PM

I didn't think anything in NO is above sea level. The entire city is beneath sea level. The Superdome is 27 stories high and encompasses 13 acres.

BirdieBoo
08-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Are there any websites set up for Red Cross and Salvation Army credit card donations? If so, could someone post them? Here is a direct link (https://secure3.salvationarmy.org/donations.nsf/donate?openform&projectid=USN-hurricane05) to Salvation army, they have credit card logos on the site and you can donate for general or specifically to Katrina relief.

Lesleegp
Are there any websites set up for Red Cross and Salvation Army credit card donations? If so, could someone post them?

Salvation Army (https://secure3.salvationarmy.org/donations.nsf/donate?openform&t=US_USC*USE*USS*USW)

Try that. There's a place to designate your donation at the bottom.

Birdieboo beat me to it! Great minds!

Mabel

I saw that. I assume the road was empty when it broke apart. Can you imagine if it had been packed with cars attempting to escape the city?

shopper
The footage they've been showing is the Causeway from Metairie to Mandeville. But, I suspect I-10 has some damage too.

I'm listening to talk radio and they just had someone from New Orleans on stating that they could be without power up to 60 (YES, 60) days. OMG! Those poor people.

My bad, I thought I heard it was I-10.

Thanks for the clarification!

FACE-IT
08-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Gov.: New Orleans Needs to Be Evacuated (5 minutes ago)

BATON ROUGE, La. - With water rising in the streets of New Orleans and conditions rapidly deteriorating, Gov. Kathleen Blanco said Tuesday that the tens of thousands of people now huddled in the Superdome and other rescue centers would have to be evacuated.

"The situation is untenable," Blanco said at a news conference. "It's just heartbreaking."

Because of two levees that broke Tuesday, the city was rapidly filling with water, the governor said. She also said the power could be out for a long time, and the storm broke a major water main, leaving the city without drinkable water.

Lesleegp
08-30-2005, 04:50 PM

Relatives?

Jules
08-30-2005, 04:51 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Relatives?

LDC
08-30-2005, 04:52 PM
:laugh: Yours?

you twins are just too funny

Details
Must rescue the looters - that's what you use to plug the levee breaks. Fix a problem with another problem.

Lesleegp
:laugh: Yours?

good one

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 04:54 PM
I didn't mean that to rescue the looters is a priority.

Lesleegp
08-30-2005, 04:54 PM
you twins are just too funny

you're on a roll

Jules
08-30-2005, 04:55 PM
you're on a roll

Roll? As in joint... :confused: :D

nanandjim
08-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Salvation Army (https://secure3.salvationarmy.org/donations.nsf/donate?openform&t=US_USC*USE*USS*USW)

Try that. There's a place to designate your donation at the bottom.

Birdieboo beat me to it! Great minds!
I found a place where you can make donations to the Red Cross. I plan to donate to both.

American Red Cross (https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp)

Mabel
08-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Human life is human life and this is no time to judge. Everyone needs to be rescued, looters included.

nanandjim
08-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Roll? As in joint... :confused: :D
Now that you mention it, I was wondering if any of those people on the roof were drunk.

Lesleegp
08-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Human life is human life and this is no time to judge. Everyone needs to be rescued, looters included.

Good post Mabel. I bet if you asked a looter straight up, they would at least acknowledge what they are doing is wrong. They may need the stuff (diapers, food, etc.) Unlike common thieves who still lie when they are caught red-handed.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Gov.: New Orleans Needs to Be Evacuated (5 minutes ago)

BATON ROUGE, La. - With water rising in the streets of New Orleans and conditions rapidly deteriorating, Gov. Kathleen Blanco said Tuesday that the tens of thousands of people now huddled in the Superdome and other rescue centers would have to be evacuated.

"The situation is untenable," Blanco said at a news conference. "It's just heartbreaking."

Because of two levees that broke Tuesday, the city was rapidly filling with water, the governor said. She also said the power could be out for a long time, and the storm broke a major water main, leaving the city without drinkable water.
I wonder how they plan to get all of these people out of NO? The water is getting deeper around the Super Dome and I think that I heard there is only 1 road out of the city that is open.

nanandjim
08-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Good post Mabel. I bet if you asked a looter straight up, they would at least acknowledge what they are doing is wrong. They may need the stuff (diapers, food, etc.) Unlike common thieves who still lie when they are caught red-handed.
Oh, okay. I would take inventory of what they stole. If it were only the necessities of life, then I would rescue them. If it were anything else, they would have to go to the back of the line...

Details
08-30-2005, 05:01 PM
I don't know how much I consider someone who sees this level of tragedy, this much destruction, and their only thought is how to use this to their advantage, while making it worse for the victims of the hurricane. Lots of families would have a lot more to go home to after the hurricane and flood, without the looters stealing their few remaining posessions. To me, they're vile.

nanandjim
08-30-2005, 05:02 PM
I wonder how they plan to get all of these people out of NO? The water is getting deeper around the Super Dome and I think that I heard there is only 1 road out of the city that is open.
The National Guard should have those really big trucks that they use to transport soldiers. Can they use those vehicles?

Mabel
08-30-2005, 05:03 PM
The National Guard should have those really big trucks that they use to transport soldiers. Can they use those vehicles?

The water is too deep.

nanandjim
...To me, they're vile.
I agree with you. They are the lowest of low. The same goes for those looting the stores in their very own communities.

Details
The National Guard should have those really big trucks that they use to transport soldiers. Can they use those vehicles?Interesting coincidence - that's the front page photo on CNN.com - they're using national guard transport trucks to move refugees out.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 05:05 PM
I guess it depends on how deep the water gets before they get the trucks in there.

LDC
08-30-2005, 05:07 PM
:laugh: good one Les.

But if you pay for something it isnt stealing.

Mabel
08-30-2005, 05:07 PM
I guess it depends on how deep the water gets before they get the trucks in there.

They reported earlier that the can't use them to get to the people who are trapped on thier roofs or in their attics. It appears that the only way to reach those people are by boat or helicopter.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 05:13 PM
They reported earlier that the can't use them to get to the people who are trapped on thier roofs or in their attics. It appears that the only way to reach those people are by boat or helicopter.
I know they can't use the trucks to get to the people trapped in their homes Mabel. We were talking about how they are going to evacuate all of the people in the Super Dome.

LDC
08-30-2005, 05:14 PM
Much needed supplies? :confused: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/LDC/post-2-1125429995.jpg

Mabel
08-30-2005, 05:15 PM
I know they can't use the trucks to get to the people trapped in their homes Mabel. We were talking about how they are going to evacuate all of the people in the Super Dome.

Oh. I should read more carefully. Do you know if there unflooded roads leading to the superdome? Has the governer said specifically that the superdome needs to be evacuated?

Mabel
08-30-2005, 05:16 PM
We know there are looters. That's trivial compared to the number of people whose lifes are in danger. Can we get past it please?

LDC
08-30-2005, 05:21 PM
well they can loot then ask to be helped..what was I thnking? Sorry..

T'sNana
08-30-2005, 05:24 PM
Cafferty asked a reporter where Pres. Bush was. He said he was speaking in California, I think (my phone rang in between starting this message). The reporter said Pres. Bush had been on vacation but cut it short because of this terrible disaster. Cafferty said something like, "well, that would be nice!" and "since he has a terrible approval rating right now, that might help!" Or to words of that effect. He should have stayed on top of this and NOT be taking a darn vacation! This is a catastrophe.

nanandjim
08-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Much needed supplies? :confused: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/LDC/post-2-1125429995.jpg
Oh, he's probably heading to the Recycle Center. :)

Details
08-30-2005, 05:25 PM
It sounds like the governor is saying everyone needs to be rescued, and the Superdome is where all those rescued from rooftops and such are being dropped off. I think that's probably the majority of the people remaining in the city.

A half million people displaced, from just this city. Pretty unbelievable.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 05:26 PM
Oh. I should read more carefully. Do you know if there unflooded roads leading to the superdome? Has the governer said specifically that the superdome needs to be evacuated?Governor: New Orleans Needs to Be Evacuated

BATON ROUGE, La. — With conditions in the hurricane-ravaged city of New Orleans rapidly deteriorating, Gov. Kathleen Blanco (search (http://javascript<b></b>:siteSearch('Gov.%20Kathleen%20Blanco');) ) announced late Tuesday that people now huddled in the Superdome and other rescue centers need to be evacuated.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,167781,00.html

The last that I heard the Super Dome is surrounded by water, 3ft deep last I heard but that was several hours ago. The water is still rising.

nanandjim
08-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Governor: New Orleans Needs to Be Evacuated

BATON ROUGE, La. — With conditions in the hurricane-ravaged city of New Orleans rapidly deteriorating, Gov. Kathleen Blanco (search (javascript:siteSearch('Gov. Kathleen Blanco');) ) announced late Tuesday that people now huddled in the Superdome and other rescue centers need to be evacuated.

The last that I heard the Super Dome is surrounded by water, 3ft deep last I heard but that was several hours ago. The water is still rising.
Next question...How high are the transport vehicles? It looks like they have huge tires.

Casshew
Is there any prisons in new Orleans? I wonder what happened with all the prisoners? so many questions - like the airports - did all the planes fly out prior to the storm or are their jets underwater? and museums etc.. imagine the cultural losses on top of the human toll.

This whole thing is so unreal, it's like when you hear about a lost city like Atlantis etc.. New Orleans may never recover from this, even when the water recedes. :(

Details
Cafferty asked a reporter where Pres. Bush was. He said he was speaking in California, I think (my phone rang in between starting this message). The reporter said Pres. Bush had been on vacation but cut it short because of this terrible disaster. Cafferty said something like, "well, that would be nice!" and "since he has a terrible approval rating right now, that might help!" Or to words of that effect. He should have stayed on top of this and NOT be taking a darn vacation! This is a catastrophe.Ehh, I don't think Presidents really do much for disasters - it's the specialists, the people in the administration who really figure out what is needed. The President just needs to be available as a rubber stamp. It's a nice photo op, good to see they care, but I doubt they really need to be hands on with this kind of thing.

nanandjim
08-30-2005, 05:28 PM
Is there any prisons in new Orleans? I wonder what happened with all the prisoners? so many questions - like the airports - did all the planes fly out prior to the storm or are their jets underwater?

This whole thing is so unreal, it's like when you hear about a lost city like Atlantis etc.. New Orleans may never recover from this, even when the water recedes. :(
I know that the military fly out all of their planes when they expect a hurricane to hit a particular area. So, I am assuming that they would fly out all commercial planes, too. Just guessing, though...

T'sNana
08-30-2005, 05:29 PM
This is so sad. I can't get rid of the lump in my throat upon watching this tragedy! It's an embarrassment as a US citizen that there weren't more accommodations made BEFOREHAND, knowing this hurricane's potential! UGH!! The people have lost their lives, homes, jobs, etc., etc.!!! Just to think of those helpless, helpless people!! God Bless Them!

Details
08-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Next question...How high are the transport vehicles? It looks like they have huge tires.Fairly high, but the critical factor is the air intake for the engine. Usually they make a specific air intake, and put it up on the truck's roof. That lets them drive through water that is right up to their air intake. The driver and passengers may get wet, but it'll keep driving. That's why they don't swamp out like passenger cars do.

T'sNana
08-30-2005, 05:31 PM
Ehh, I don't think Presidents really do much for disasters - it's the specialists, the people in the administration who really figure out what is needed. The President just needs to be available as a rubber stamp. It's a nice photo op, good to see they care, but I doubt they really need to be hands on with this kind of thing. Personally, I don't need a photo of him there, but that's just me. But, he can PUSH for these agencies to do more, I would think. He needs to be on hand to give encouragement to the American people...not on vacation, IMO.

Details
08-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Airplanes were removed, most at the least. They were working on getting one working runway, for emergency flights. I don't know if that runway was found to be usable.

Mabel
08-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Is there any prisons in new Orleans? I wonder what happened with all the prisoners? so many questions - like the airports - did all the planes fly out prior to the storm or are their jets underwater? and museums etc.. imagine the cultural losses on top of the human toll.

According to Google, there's a Parish Prison in NO with a capacity of 7,000. I haven't heard any mention of what they did with the prisoners.

Ntegrity
08-30-2005, 05:39 PM
This is so sad. I can't get rid of the lump in my throat upon watching this tragedy! It's an embarrassment as a US citizen that there weren't more accommodations made BEFOREHAND, knowing this hurricane's potential! UGH!! The people have lost their lives, homes, jobs, etc., etc.!!! Just to think of those helpless, helpless people!! God Bless Them!
What do you think could have been done beforehand? There's nothing that can stop a 20-foot wall of water. FEMA and the Red Cross were mobilized before the storm hit. There's not much else that could be done.

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Here is a good article which answers a lot of questions that have been asked earlier. Doesn't address the prison situation. I imagine they will be evacuated like everyone else....they just won't be a priority.Will have to divvy up the cretins among the state's other facilities.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/30/katrina/index.html

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Now one of the prisons is flooded and prisoners are sitting on an exit ramp and in cages with guns drawn on them. New CNN coverage.

Details
08-30-2005, 05:44 PM
They evacuated everyone they could. Not much more you can do. Not everything can be solved.

nanandjim
08-30-2005, 05:50 PM
What do you think could have been done beforehand? There's nothing that can stop a 20-foot wall of water. FEMA and the Red Cross were mobilized before the storm hit. There's not much else that could be done.
Ntegrity - How is your area?

Cypros
08-30-2005, 05:54 PM
According to Google, there's a Parish Prison in NO with a capacity of 7,000. I haven't heard any mention of what they did with the prisoners.

I just saw images on CNN. All of the prisoners are outside and under guard. It looked like they were sitting in rows on an elevated walkway. Unreal.

Nore
08-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Personally, I don't need a photo of him there, but that's just me. But, he can PUSH for these agencies to do more, I would think. He needs to be on hand to give encouragement to the American people...not on vacation, IMO.
----------

Bravo!!!!

Texana
08-30-2005, 06:30 PM
I am just heartsick over the damage.

Mr. Texana grew up in New Orleans.

Galveston never recovered after the Storm of 1900 (before they named hurricanes) when thousands upon thousands were killed. Before that, it was one of the top five cities in the U.S. Now, it's a minor resort town.

My heart just goes out to these people in Miss. and La.

Details
08-30-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm worried about New Orleans - this might be the end of it. But in a lot of ways, it's long overdue. It's under sea level, and sooner or later nature will win.

BarnGoddess
08-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Personally, I don't need a photo of him there, but that's just me. But, he can PUSH for these agencies to do more, I would think. He needs to be on hand to give encouragement to the American people...not on vacation, IMO.
The President didn't just decide to go on vacation during a storm alert, he was already there. He was due to return after Labor Day. He has been in communication with the governors of the states involved. He made trips last year to all the storm areas. I guarantee you he will be there as soon as it is feasable for him. I really don't think anyone expects him to walk through standing water just for a photo op or to make an appearance. Let's face it, he declared the area a disaster before the storm even hit, for crying out loud.

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 06:40 PM
New Orleans (and the suburbs) is a city under seige right now. Every bit as bad as any middle eastern city.The death toll nobody is really addressing at this time because I think they are avoiding panic.

The dire consequences are not fully realized by most citizens. This story is unfolding hourly and the end results will be staggering.

In Mississippi, they are painting black marks on houses with dead people and red marks with injured people. In New Orleans and other low lying parishes they will be scooping bodies up later from flooded areas.

When Cass posted that her friend had an order for 100,000 body bags I was aghast but now I see that there is some anticipation as well as what has already happened.

Seeing Kathleen on the news conference really confirmed to me that this is the worst of the worst. She is almost always composed and has been that way since she was a young girl, but her anticipation at the beginning of this storm and her crumbling features since this tragedy tells me a different story.

The area really does need military support now. Need a general who is less emotionally involved to get this job done. Being somewhat dispassionate about this and addressing it with that resolve will save New Orleans for the future. It has to be pinpoint precision not I hope or I guess. This is not a slam on officials, I just think now it is too much for them.

jubie
08-30-2005, 06:40 PM
I'm worried about New Orleans - this might be the end of it. But in a lot of ways, it's long overdue. It's under sea level, and sooner or later nature will win.

Is this even possible? To just walk away from NO? Surely they can dry it out and repair the damage even if it takes years....

This is just the early hours, I'm afraid things will get much worse before they get better.

Praying for all those suffering.

Details
08-30-2005, 06:47 PM
New Orleans has always been borderline - tons of levees protect it, but it is below sea level. On one side a lake, on the other side the Mississippi are just waiting to pour into the basin that is New Orleans.

And the levees are built only to a Cat3 hurricane - they can and did fail - even though the worst of the hurricane missed the city.

Yeah, I think we can, and may have to abandon New Orleans. But then I'm not a big fan of building in areas that are built for disaster - river flood plains, deltas, etc.

LDC
08-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Prisoners from the Orleans Parish Prison are staged on the highway as floodwaters from Hurricane Katrina cover the streets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/LDC/KatrinaFlood6.jpg

Casshew
08-30-2005, 07:01 PM
even if it takes years.... Jubie, decades is more like it - I don't think people are absorbing the scale of this disaster - even after pumping out all the water & recovering from the bacteria/sewage/chemical aftermath - at mammoth expense - the city will still be at risk, below sea level waiting for the next big hurricane. New levees, buildings on stilts? what is the answer?

I think they have to start a 'newer orleans' elsewhere and begin again. :(

Details
08-30-2005, 07:01 PM
Environmentalist says there is a way to fix New Orleans, but it involves getting rid of the levees - New Orleans has been sinking forever, partly because the water that would normally flow over it and bring new soil. Doesn't sound like a reasonable solution - tons of time and work, and I'm sure way, way too much money.

T'sNana
08-30-2005, 07:08 PM
The President didn't just decide to go on vacation during a storm alert, he was already there. He was due to return after Labor Day. He has been in communication with the governors of the states involved. He made trips last year to all the storm areas. I guarantee you he will be there as soon as it is feasable for him. I really don't think anyone expects him to walk through standing water just for a photo op or to make an appearance. Let's face it, he declared the area a disaster before the storm even hit, for crying out loud.
I didn't say he just decided to go on vacation. He is the Commander in Chief and he should be in his office, his elected office, during a time like this. I know he has been in touch with governors, but I just don't think it looks good when he's ON vacation doing it! He did declare it a disaster area before it hit. I didn't say he didn't. I wasn't expecting him to do a photo op, just said I didn't need to see one of him doing it. Many people should have gotten out, if they could have, but some needed help getting out. I guess I just feel helpless and I do expect more out of him at this time and of our government. God knows we pay enough for all these experts, government officials, etc. that we should not have this much devastation or death. Maybe I'm naive, but that's how I see it.

BarnGoddess
08-30-2005, 07:08 PM
Environmentalist says there is a way to fix New Orleans, but it involves getting rid of the levees - New Orleans has been sinking forever, partly because the water that would normally flow over it and bring new soil. Doesn't sound like a reasonable solution - tons of time and work, and I'm sure way, way too much money.
I also heard that a good portion of land to the south was washed away and never recovered. That was when Betsy struck. Had that land been reclaimed, there would have been a little barrier from sea water coming into that area, as well as some land to potentially slow the winds some.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 07:11 PM
Jubie, decades is more like it - I don't think people are absorbing the scale of this disaster - even after pumping out all the water & recovering from the bacteria/sewage/chemical aftermath - at mammoth expense - the city will still be at risk, below sea level waiting for the next big hurricane. New levees, buildings on stilts? what is the answer?

Updated: 12:33 p.m. ET Aug. 29, 2005
Though Hurricane Katrina didn't deliver a direct hit on New Orleans Monday, there still were fears that the storm could turn one of America’s most charming cities into a vast cesspool tainted with toxic chemicals, human waste and even coffins released by floodwaters from the city’s legendary cemeteries.
more at the link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9113550/

Casshew
08-30-2005, 07:17 PM
All those crypts and mauseleums are above ground and surely will release their dead. It is just a horrible thing.

I still don't think people are recognizing the scope.

Remember how thrilled we were yesterday morning when the storm turned a little east and missed the city? yet this is all occuring now? imagine a direct hit.

T'sNana
08-30-2005, 07:19 PM
There are also graves there though I think they essentially got away from burying there...mostly cremation or mausoleums (Sp?).

T'sNana
08-30-2005, 07:21 PM
This disaster, like most, brings out either the best or the worst in people. It always warms my heart to see people getting along and helping one another. There was a black gentleman pulling an elderly man in a boat (his wheelchair also in the boat) and that's when I'm proudest to be living in the USA!

BarnGoddess
08-30-2005, 07:22 PM
I didn't say he just decided to go on vacation. He is the Commander in Chief and he should be in his office, his elected office, during a time like this. I know he has been in touch with governors, but I just don't think it looks good when he's ON vacation doing it! He did declare it a disaster area before it hit. I didn't say he didn't. I wasn't expecting him to do a photo op, just said I didn't need to see one of him doing it. Many people should have gotten out, if they could have, but some needed help getting out. I guess I just feel helpless and I do expect more out of him at this time and of our government. God knows we pay enough for all these experts, government officials, etc. that we should not have this much devastation or death. Maybe I'm naive, but that's how I see it.
I didn't mean to jump T'sNana. I know your frustration. We all try to go on vacation from time to time. I have had more vacations cancelled than I ever actually had taken over many years. We all need time off to refresh our brains and bodies and be with family and friends. Take into consideration that even though a President is "on vacation", he really isn't. There's that guy with the briefcase, his office in Crawford, aides are around him at all times. He's in touch every day, just not physically in the Oval Office in the White House. Any President would be criticized by someone during a disaster of this massive porportion. He's either trying to control everything himself, or not doing enough quickly enough to suit some. It's easy to blame someone else.

Each disaster we learn a little more. I was in Miami during Andrew. It took forever to get supplies in. Just water and ice were hard to come by. Insurance adjusters couldn't find homes because they weren't there. Residents couldn't even find where their own homes were, because all street signs and recognizable landmarks were gone. Just piles of rubble everywhere. Many of todays disaster preparedness procedures came from Andrew and those storms and tornados that followed over the years. Don't forget last year that Florida was hit four times. This time it's the water that seems to be doing the worst, not the wind, in NO. You can plan and plan and plan, but sometimes you can't get it right 100% no matter how hard you try.

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Though Hurricane Katrina didn't deliver a direct hit on New Orleans Monday, there still were fears that the storm could turn one of America’s most charming cities into a vast cesspool tainted with toxic chemicals, human waste and even coffins released by floodwaters from the city’s legendary cemeteries.
more at the link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9113550/

Big decisions are ahead. There has to be a point where you say enough. I am really glad that I am not one of the decision makers. I love New Orleans and always will but this tragedy is not a new scenario and has been forewarned for many years.No one would listen.

BarnGoddess
08-30-2005, 07:26 PM
more at the link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9113550/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9113550/)
I wonder if some of my Weymouth ancestors are floating down the streets of their beloved New Orleans yet?

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 07:31 PM
I wonder if some of my Weymouth ancestors are floating down the streets of their beloved New Orleans yet?

You can almost bet on it. The whole area is so compromised and water saturated. I believe that is one of the reasons for the total evacuation, it will become a bacteria cesspool.Then, you get the snakes and other critters.

Just wanted to add all major medical facilities are evacuating.....there will be no help for snakes bites, medical situations of other kinds, there will be no help at all.

BarnGoddess
08-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Big decisions are ahead. There has to be a point where you say enough. I am really glad that I am not one of the decision makers. I love New Orleans and always will but this tragedy is not a new scenario and has been forewarned for many years.No one would listen.
I haven't been there in years, but I would hate to see us lose so much of our history by not rebuilding somewhat. I would imagine that after a while, when things settle down a bit, historical preservation groups will begin to try to preserve what they can, even if they have to move it.

I'm sure most of you realize that swampland in Florida was converted by landfill. Not saying this is the way to go, but it could be a solution. They just need to be very careful not to destroy the environment, if possible.

CP, you're right, no one listened. Just look at the party atmosphere on Bourbon Street early this morning. Just get that drink and join the party. When they sobered up they were in over a foot of water. "Where did that wet come from?"

jubie
08-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Jubie, decades is more like it - I don't think people are absorbing the scale of this disaster - even after pumping out all the water & recovering from the bacteria/sewage/chemical aftermath - at mammoth expense - the city will still be at risk, below sea level waiting for the next big hurricane. New levees, buildings on stilts? what is the answer?

Hey Cass,

I hear you and I hope I didn't sound cold, it's hard to fight the lump in my throat reading all the news. Yes, I imagine decades is more a likely time frame (if even at all as Details mentioned) :(

btw, it's good to have you back.

Jubie

Casshew
08-30-2005, 07:54 PM
hi ya Jubie Jube :) nice to see you, this is all very sad news and it makes us appreciate where we live and how safe we are.

Marthatex
08-30-2005, 07:59 PM
All those crypts and mauseleums are above ground and surely will release their dead. It is just a horrible thing.

I still don't think people are recognizing the scope.

Remember how thrilled we were yesterday morning when the storm turned a little east and missed the city? yet this is all occuring now? imagine a direct hit.

Casshew, I was gone for a day and came back to watch the news and I had no idea! I knew it was bad, but not this devastating. What are those poor people going to do, the ones who lost their homes, have no insurance, have no money, nowhere to go?

I thought maybe one or 2 neighborhoods were flooded. It's mind boggling - because the levees couldn't hold. They knew this could happen, but I guess didn't have the money or resources to barricade New Orleans. It's a shame.

As for President Bush, he's cutting his vacation short to go back and supervise relief efforts. However, I don't think we needed another war speech today.

This is a natural disaster, of 9-11 proportions; hopefully without as much loss of life. Financially though it's a greater disaster, and emotionally directly affecting a wider number and range of people. the health problems will come next.

Which brings me to another question: Do the countries we donated to for the Tsunami give back to us? Or any countries at all - Europe, Austrialia, etc? Canada? Or is that just a United States thing? Just curious.

Miss Daisey
08-30-2005, 07:59 PM
This is the saddest thing I've ever seen.

I grew up in Fla. Hurricanes were a fact of life after my parents moved the family there in 1945. Every summer, it seemed, my Dad had a worried look as he packed us all up and made a bee line for North Carolina to get out of the way of another hurricane. After about five years, we didn't leave anymore...but we never experienced anything like Katrina.

Our friends and family have been coming to stay with us here in Ga for these last hurricanes. This time, some of them from Mobile decided to stay...when it looked like Katrina would hit New Orleans. Instead, they got hammered north of Mobile Bay. But, they're doing ok...no power of course. They bought a generator a few months ago..they have water, cell phones and battery chargers...their home is intact but they're pretty miserable in the August heat and humidity.

We had lots of family in Miami during Andrew. That was the bench mark till now. Makes you wonder why people stay after such a horrific experience. But.....we'll always go home..where ever 'home' is.

I hope New Orleans survives and all her folks will go 'home'...help rebuild it and not loose this treasured landmark that is so much of our beloved South.

Lesleegp
08-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Just on CNN, they are ending all efforts to shore up the broken levees......expect another 15 feet of water to come in to the city.

amandab
08-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Just on CNN, they are ending all efforts to shore up the broken levees......expect another 15 feet of water to come in to the city.

Wow - I didn't expect them to give up like this. How sad...

Lesleegp
08-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Wow - I didn't expect them to give up like this. How sad...

It was Paula Zahn reporting. I hope she just meant they are stopping for the night, but my gut feeling is that is not what she meant.

Also reading on Drudge that they are considering putting the people from the Superdome on cruise ships.

T'sNana
08-30-2005, 08:09 PM
That's sad! I guess it was a no-win situation.

Casshew
08-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Which brings me to another question: Do the countries we donated to for the Tsunami give back to us? Or any countries at all - Europe, Austrialia, etc? Canada? Or is that just a United States thing? Just curious.
Hi Martha, I don't know the answer to that question... I know individuals send contributions for relief, but I am not certain about official donations from foreign governments.

Marthatex
08-30-2005, 08:10 PM
One of the most amazing things I saw on TV was the pictures of I-10; it is completely split at intervals for as far as you can see; split in two like the earthquake broke up the road years ago in California. No one can even get to Houston if they wanted to go. Wow, how much we take for granted in the way of our infrastructure.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Cinflicting stories once again. As you posted this, Fox had some General on interviewing him about what was being done to try and stop the flow of water from the levey. He said they are bringing in the large bariers like they use on interstates,dropping them and then huge sand bags. I wonder, are they or not?

T'sNana
08-30-2005, 08:12 PM
One of the most amazing things I saw on TV was the pictures of I-10; it is completely split at intervals for as far as you can see; split in two like the earthquake broke up the road years ago in California. No one can even get to Houston if they wanted to go. Wow, how much we take for granted in the way of our infrastructure.
I saw that....how terrible!! It looked like some Lego's that were built and then destroyed.

T'sNana
08-30-2005, 08:15 PM
The Red Cross, US Coast Guard, National Guard, individual volunteers and the victims of Katrina. We made our donation to the Red Cross and my husband's company is sending cases of bottled water.

Dark Knight
08-30-2005, 08:17 PM
CP, you're right, no one listened. Just look at the party atmosphere on Bourbon Street early this morning. Just get that drink and join the party. When they sobered up they were in over a foot of water. "Where did that wet come from?"They've been in denial forever, and like you said, even this morning it was all about drinking and partying. I think God gave them a warning last year when they were almost hit by one of the big hurricanes (Ivan, I think), but were spared. They could have been preparing for the past year for this, but it doesn't sound like they did. Just went back to partying, rather than learning from that near miss.

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 08:19 PM
The lump is gone there is nothing but giant tears flowing.I am so glad so many of you recognize the total disaster and from that knowledge we can pull together and move forward. The looting is secondary to the whole lost that is at hand. Despicable as it is the survival mode is enacted.I just don't know where this will end.....but I am pretty sure it isn't going to be pretty.

I was so glad that the storm was just east but I always knew and some of you will note my almost hysterical posts. I had started to panic and I felt so impotent to express it, logically of course. I was afraid that what is happening would happen. I didn't want to be right, I just wanted us all to pray. So, now we are looking at the worst natural disaster to ever hit the United States. In the days ahead we will get a grip and figure out the best way to aid these people and open our hearts and to get them kick started on a new life.

FACE-IT
08-30-2005, 08:20 PM
New Orleans Flooding May Last for Days

New Orleans is apt to stay awash for days under oily, filthy water infested with mosquitoes, even if failed levees can be fixed quickly, according to experts assessing the flooding left by Hurricane Katrina.

An initial sense of relief that the city escaped the storm's worst dissolved Tuesday, as an estimated 80 percent of the 180-square-mile city gradually turned into an urban swamp.

"While everyone knew this could happen, I don't think anyone was really prepared for it," said oceanographer Paul Kemp, at Louisiana State University's Hurricane Center. "There are some disasters beyond comprehension, and I think this is one of them."

Murky water, laced with junk and pollutants, coursed through the city, including many downtown streets. Residents and rescuers came across floating bodies, though the city's death toll was still unknown late Tuesday.

Flooding specialists predicted that conditions could worsen as authorities focused first on saving people trapped in buildings.

Some flood-control pumps were broken, choked by excess water or storm debris. Others were lacking power needed to run. Roofs were reported collapsed on at least two major pumping stations. Without the pumps, much of the flood water will have nowhere to drain in this city cradled within a bowl, at an average of six feet below sea level.

In a frustrating catch-22, it will be hard to fix the pumps and restore their power while they are under water, but it's hard to drain the water without the pumps, the flood experts warned.

"It's going to be days before they get all that water out," said marine scientist Ivor van Heerden, also of LSU, who developed flooding models for the city. He was out with a boat inspecting water levels Tuesday.

When the hurricane's eye veered away from the city Monday morning, the fiercest winds and storm surge bashed into the coast east of New Orleans. Though some neighborhoods flooded, most of the city was spared severe flooding in the immediate aftermath. By early Tuesday, however, waters were creeping into large parts of the mostly evacuated city, which is normally home to about 484,000 people.

This flood water apparently came from at least two levee breaks — at the Industrial Canal and the 17th Street Canal, according to the LSU specialists.

Helicopters were dumping 3,000-pound sandbags onto the levees, beginning the task of trying to plug them.

The experts warned of potential dangers ahead. Louisiana's frequent summer rains — or even another hurricane — could add to flooding in coming days or weeks, they said. The sitting water could collect more contaminants from homes and industries, and mosquitoes could amplify the danger of disease.

"Because it doesn't drain, there's a chance for things to concentrate," said Marc Levitan, another flooding expert at LSU.

FACE-IT
08-30-2005, 08:23 PM

That place is going to be like one giant cesspool. Disease City. What a nghtmare.

an estimated 80 percent of the 180-square-mile city gradually turned into an urban swamp.

T'sNana
08-30-2005, 08:37 PM
That place is going to be like one giant cesspool. Disease City. What a nghtmare.

an estimated 80 percent of the 180-square-mile city gradually turned into an urban swamp.
I cannot imagine how these people feel. They've lost their homes, some have lost their lives or the lives of their loved ones, their jobs, etc. I just cannot imagine how they feel.

Miss Daisey
08-30-2005, 08:44 PM
They've been in denial forever, and like you said, even this morning it was all about drinking and partying. I think God gave them a warning last year when they were almost hit by one of the big hurricanes (Ivan, I think), but were spared. They could have been preparing for the past year for this, but it doesn't sound like they did. Just went back to partying, rather than learning from that near miss.DK, I don't think that's very sympathic to say that right now.

The levees were built 30yrs ago in preparation for a Cat 3 storm. That was then. This is now. To imply they had it coming doesn't sound right to me, IMO

FACE-IT
08-30-2005, 08:48 PM
I cannot imagine how these people feel. They've lost their homes, some have lost their lives or the lives of their loved ones, their jobs, etc. I just cannot imagine how they feel.This is going to be a nightmare for a very long time. Such destruction of homes, bridges, all of the infrastructure. Very large areas are uninhabitable. So many people have nothing to go back to, except an empty lot, no electricty, water, or any services of any kind.

amandab
08-30-2005, 08:49 PM
A morbid thought occurred to me just now....and while I apologize for bring gross, I have to ask.....

In a few days, they will need dental records to identify some of the victims who get pulled from the water.

What do they do if the dentist's office was obliterated, too?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or tactless, I really wondered this.....

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 08:49 PM
On Fox now, a spokesman with the LA Corp of Engineers just said that under ideal conditions (no additional rain) and if they can get all of the pumps up and running, they can pump out about 1ft. of water per day. In some areas, there is 20ft. of water. Standing, sewer filled water for 20 days in 95 degrees...OMG, I hate to think about the diseases that could spread in that time.

Casshew
08-30-2005, 08:51 PM

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or tactless, I really wondered this.....
They will do what they did with 9/11 victims where they didn't even have full bodies. They will take DNA samples and compare to family relatives searching for loved ones.

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 08:52 PM
I cannot imagine how these people feel. They've lost their homes, some have lost their lives or the lives of their loved ones, their jobs, etc. I just cannot imagine how they feel.

They feel empty and are shell shocked. It is survival mode. It is without precedence for that area. We can even see this from the Governor, that is why I suggested other military forces intervene. Too much for the locals, not enough strength to overcome these obstacles. Need harder barriers and harder decision makers....it is what it is. But someone has to take charge. We haven't even heard from the mayor of NO since yesterday.Has he had a nervous breakdown or what?

amandab
08-30-2005, 08:53 PM
They will do what they did with 9/11 victims where they didn't even have full bodies. They will take DNA samples and compare to family relatives searching for loved ones.

Thanks Cass - I had completely forgotten about that. Makes me feel better that there won't be a glut of unclaimed, unidentified bodies...

Ntegrity
08-30-2005, 08:56 PM
New Orleans Flooding May Last for Days
I think it's optimistic to think this will only last for DAYS. I suspect it will be WEEKS.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 09:01 PM
These people do not seem to realize how dangerous the water is. They are just splashing through it. Do you think they don't know how contaminated it is? If they have even a small cut or scrape on their body it is going to get into it. If they touch their mouth with their wet hand they could get sick.

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 09:03 PM
I think it's optimistic to think this will only last for DAYS. I suspect it will be WEEKS.

Here is the denial. My step son and my daughter think that in a few weeks they will be able to go in and retrieve his belongings.It is unconceivable to me that people aren't getting the picture.

Miss Daisey
08-30-2005, 09:04 PM
A morbid thought occurred to me just now....and while I apologize for bring gross, I have to ask.....

In a few days, they will need dental records to identify some of the victims who get pulled from the water.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or tactless, I really wondered this.....Interesting that you mention that. I have a friend in Dallas who is a forsenic volunteer with FEMA. She left Sunday for New Orleans. So, they know the magnitude of what they're dealing with.

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Most of the bodies that will be recovered will be beyond recognization.They are not worried about that right now.Too much for any city.This is just horrible.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 09:18 PM
They just issued an emergency evacuation order that said that the efforts to stop the water from the levy has ended and the pumps are failing. It said to expect and additional 9ft of water in the next 12-15 hours.

jubie
08-30-2005, 09:23 PM
You know, it's ironic that the very same people looting arm-fulls of stolen things will most likely have to leave those things behind as they are emergency evacuated in the coming hours and days! Sad. They don't see how very dire the situation is. :twocents:

It's just a bunch of stuff, really. Their lives are about to change for the worse by far, again very sad. :hand:

Ntegrity
08-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Here is the denial. My step son and my daughter think that in a few weeks they will be able to go in and retrieve his belongings.It is unconceivable to me that people aren't getting the picture.
I know. It's so sad. Maybe it's a self-preservation thing. It may be too much to take in this quickly.

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 09:24 PM
They just issued an emergency evacuation order that said that the efforts to stop the water from the levy has ended and the pumps are failing. It said to expect and additional 9ft of water in the next 12-15 hours.

I have already sent a post to CNN to get Jeanne Meserve and others out of there. This is just the worst.

heavenlydaze
08-30-2005, 09:26 PM
They've been in denial forever, and like you said, even this morning it was all about drinking and partying. I think God gave them a warning last year when they were almost hit by one of the big hurricanes (Ivan, I think), but were spared. They could have been preparing for the past year for this, but it doesn't sound like they did. Just went back to partying, rather than learning from that near miss.

Dearest DK,
"de-nile" is a river somewhere in Egypt. Considering the scope of this disaster, I think everyone's doing the best they possibly can do under the existing circumstances, but (and this REALLY hurts me to say this)...I agree with you.
Here in Yuba City, Ca we have one of the most fragile levy systems in the country. Google '"Yuba City" +flood...people here are still recovering from the last one, and the EPA comes in and tells us we can't re-build certain levies because it will destroy the habitat of an endangered beatle. Now...when the next flood happens (and it will), do we blame ourselves for not challenging the enviornmentalists? Do we all sell our homes and move to...uh...Yellowstone, Montana? (oops, can't do that...they're sitting on the next volcanic eruption and God only knows what plans THEY'VE made!). Gee, maybe when the next storm comes, we'll just all go get a six-pack or two and watch while nature takes it's course against whatever we're ALLOWED to put in it's path.
Done venting. Deep breath, but not TOO deep as air quality isn't good today
(too many cow farts polluting the ozone).

Nore
08-30-2005, 09:28 PM
Casshew, I was gone for a day and came back to watch the news and I had no idea! I knew it was bad, but not this devastating. What are those poor people going to do, the ones who lost their homes, have no insurance, have no money, nowhere to go?

I thought maybe one or 2 neighborhoods were flooded. It's mind boggling - because the levees couldn't hold. They knew this could happen, but I guess didn't have the money or resources to barricade New Orleans. It's a shame.

As for President Bush, he's cutting his vacation short to go back and supervise relief efforts. However, I don't think we needed another war speech today.

This is a natural disaster, of 9-11 proportions; hopefully without as much loss of life. Financially though it's a greater disaster, and emotionally directly affecting a wider number and range of people. the health problems will come next.

--------------------

Marthatex,I am wondering the same about aid from other Countries..It is time we put our priorities in their proper place! After 9~11 I believe the only Country offering aid was Canada.I will not forget that. I am so sick of this. Mr. Bush dont speak to me about war! Right now my Country needs aid.We could use some of the Guardsmen and soldiers right here.How about sending a few hundred? .....I feel sooooo bad. I could easily take in 10 people to stay here for shelter til this is cleaned up but I am all the way up in Ohio.A college student from Parma came home I think on Monday.He brought the tennis team from the college,except two~just not enough room in the car.They are at the SuperDome.They were told to go home.Some of them are from Indonesia (sp),Austria,England,Canada.How were they to travel all those miles.Marthtex thank you for letting me "spiel off" on your post.I have webtv.and often cannot get through on my own.I have had it with "foriegn aid"..Take care.

mysteriew
08-30-2005, 09:34 PM
I went through a couple of floods as a volunteer. Survivors reactions will vary from depression, to quiet contemplation, to wanting to start recovery efforts immediately, to feeling of invincability (they have already lived through the worst, have nothing to fear now) to an almost eerie desire to restore normalcy- ie inappropriate humor, dark humor (If I don't laugh I will cry).
I feel for the survivors, I really do. The have suffered and lost, and many now have no homes, no jobs, and no idea what will be in their future. They don't even know what all they have lost yet. And it is too overwhelming to consider.
But the ones I really sympathize with right now are the police officers, firefighters, emergency personnel, and others who are active in the survival efforts.
They have now been something like 36 hrs with no rest (maybe more- there would have been a lot of preparation work to be done before the storm) little food eaten on the run, they may not know the status of their own homes, they may not even know the status of their own families. They have gone through the efficient phase, the exhaustion phase, the second wind phase, and are now probably in the dogged phase- and there is no relief in sight. And even when relief gets there- they won't want to stop, because it will feel like giving up. They also need your thoughts and prayers.

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 09:35 PM
This is so interesting. At a time of extreme crisis who is coming to our aid? Maybe it should tell us that we are an island? I don't know but it is pretty interesting and still people are dying.

mysteriew
08-30-2005, 09:37 PM
Incidently- some of the estimates I have seen are that it may be months before some areas get power back. Which means "normal" is a long time away.

Details
08-30-2005, 09:37 PM
After 9/11 everyone was offering us aid - we turned some of it down, used a fair amount of it. This is a horrible disaster, but it isn't of the same magnitude as the tsunami, not by a long shot. The tsunami killed tens of thousands.

Nore
08-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Interesting that you mention that. I have a friend in Dallas who is a forsenic volunteer with FEMA. She left Sunday for New Orleans. So, they know the magnitude of what they're dealing with.
---------------------

You are not being morbid at all.This is a fact.I am hopng they will somehow be able to ship bodies to surrounding areas for either temporary burial or to be placed on ice.This is a sad situation to say the least.They have no sewage systems at all. Just dawned on me I am responding to the wrong post! Senior moment which right now is so upset..I wish I could take some of the children til this is over.i have a crib,beds,etc..I would also take animals except cats as I am very allergic to them.I pray.

Nore
08-30-2005, 09:49 PM
I went through a couple of floods as a volunteer. Survivors reactions will vary from depression, to quiet contemplation, to wanting to start recovery efforts immediately, to feeling of invincability (they have already lived through the worst, have nothing to fear now) to an almost eerie desire to restore normalcy- ie inappropriate humor, dark humor (If I don't laugh I will cry).
I feel for the survivors, I really do. The have suffered and lost, and many now have no homes, no jobs, and no idea what will be in their future. They don't even know what all they have lost yet. And it is too overwhelming to consider.
But the ones I really sympathize with right now are the police officers, firefighters, emergency personnel, and others who are active in the survival efforts.
They have now been something like 36 hrs with no rest (maybe more- there would have been a lot of preparation work to be done before the storm) little food eaten on the run, they may not know the status of their own homes, they may not even know the status of their own families. They have gone through the efficient phase, the exhaustion phase, the second wind phase, and are now probably in the dogged phase- and there is no relief in sight. And even when relief gets there- they won't want to stop, because it will feel like giving up. They also need your thoughts and prayers.
---------

They have my prayers. Theirs is also so often a thankless job! I saw a dog on a roof,wish I could get it.The little boy crying so hard while being rescued broke my heart...

Details
08-30-2005, 09:50 PM
On a quick search, Venezuela is offering us aid with fuel and food (and we're not exactly friendly to them either). I'm not seeing much more, but the scope of the disaster is just beginning to be known, and it's very early yet. As I recall, when the tsunami hit, we took quite awhile to get around to promising any aid.I mean, it hasn't even been a full day since the levee broke.

The Louisiana governor is saying that she believes there have been offers of support from other countries - but it seems she's too occupied with the immediate crisis to be spending much time on that.

An update: The Saudi's are also offering help, saying they will increase their oil production so oil prices don't rise so much from this.

Shadow205
08-30-2005, 09:52 PM
A man was just interviwed who left NO before Katrinia hit. He said he has a 12 day old baby and 2 other small children/ He said that he knows his home is gone but that a house is not a lot to loose when you see others who have lost their families. He had such a positive attitude, it is people like him that you have to admire.

Cypros
08-30-2005, 09:52 PM
On a quick search, Venezuela is offering us aid with fuel and food (and we're not exactly friendly to them either).

Anybody have Pat Robertson's email? I'd like to forward him this information. ;)

upallnite
08-30-2005, 09:53 PM

And, finally, the Red Cross has opened the CajunDome in Lafayette as an emergency shelter. A couple of days late.

We have many evacuees in our area who cannot return home, indeed probably don't have anything to return to, and they can't afford to pay for hotel rooms forever.

The mood amongst the evacuees across the street from me is getting more somber by the moment.

shadow, I wouldn't be surprised if cameras were prohibited from filming the extent of the damage, I wonder if the same rules apply in MS and AL?

I got on here just to see if you had posted!!!!

concernedperson
08-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Kgeaux has been OK through this but she may not be OK throughout the rest of it.Much help is needed and it will filter wherever it is needed. So, send up your prayers to her because she has a giant heart and will more than likely take on a lot and a lot that will cause inconvenience. So, Karen, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I will find a way to help.

LDC
08-30-2005, 10:19 PM
The prisioners on the bridge are rioting and takeing hostages:eek: as per LKL

IdahoMom
08-30-2005, 10:22 PM
Favre family home destroyed.:(

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4824234

Details
08-30-2005, 10:25 PM
The looting and chaos seems to be going nuts too - I think people are beginning to think they won't be able to get help, and it's everyone for themselves. A looter shot another looter, another shot a police officer, and looking at the video, people are just stealing everything, not just survival supplies, but random things like watches and clothes. A media crew had to try to chase someone away from stealling their gas cannisters right off of their truck, while they were watching! Sounds like while the hurricane didn't chase the media out, the looters are starting to do so.

Details
08-30-2005, 10:38 PM
Update: Residents in the French Quarter are being told to evacuate as efforts to sandbag the levee break have ended, according to WWL-TV. The pumps in that area are expected to fail and nine feet of water is predicted in the entire east bank within hour.

OB RN
08-30-2005, 10:38 PM
You know, it's ironic that the very same people looting arm-fulls of stolen things will most likely have to leave those things behind as they are emergency evacuated in the coming hours and days! Sad. They don't see how very dire the situation is. :twocents:

It's just a bunch of stuff, really. Their lives are about to change for the worse by far, again very sad. :hand:
I've been watching the looting videos with just a sick feeling - the depravity of it all - yet I can understand it as well. Desperate souls with nothing to begin with, seem to think that a stolen TV will be their treasure.

As far as the grocery looting...have at it - especially since there's no government- sponsored relief any time soon. Heck - there's no government plan at all!

Details
08-30-2005, 10:41 PM
I've been watching the looting videos with just a sick feeling - the depravity of it all - yet I can understand it as well. Desperate souls with nothing to begin with, seem to think that a stolen TV will be their treasure.

As far as the grocery looting...have at it - especially since there's no government- sponsored relief any time soon. Heck - there's no government plan at all!I agree there - unless you loot a grocery store, then sell the food to starving people at outrageous prices.

lisa0477
08-30-2005, 10:46 PM

This is what I was saying to my hubby, if it were my store, they could have it get those children in line and feed em'

I just wish I had a big enough place for them all.

Cypros
08-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Any more news about the prisoners? I didn't watch LKL and haven't seen anything on it.

LDC
08-30-2005, 10:54 PM
nope..havent herd any more on TV..I actually missed LKL and was just told about it..I will be watching for word on it though.

Dara
08-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Any more news about the prisoners? I didn't watch LKL and haven't seen anything on it.
I did a search and found this (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20050830_hurricane_katrina_050830/?hub=CTVNewsAt11):

Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco said late Tuesday that her office hasn't been able to verify reports of a prison riot and hostage-taking at a New Orleans jail.

Orleans Parish Prison Commissioner Oliver Thomas told an ABC News affiliate that inmates at the prison have rioted, attempted to escape and are now holding hostages.

Thomas told WBRZ News in Baton Rouge, La. that a deputy at the prison, his wife and their four children have been taken hostage by rioting prisoners after riding out the hurricane inside the jail building.

Blanco said downed communications systems have made it impossible to confirm the report.

Cypros
08-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Thanks Dara.

Boy it just doesn't end! I wonder if the prisoners realize that they hav eno place to go? Let's hope it isn't true.

Dara
08-30-2005, 11:00 PM
You're welcome, Cypros. I only found two references, and both were the same publication. So, I'm hoping it's not true. But it's so specific, I fear it might be.

Dark Knight
08-30-2005, 11:02 PM
DK, I don't think that's very sympathic to say that right now.

The levees were built 30yrs ago in preparation for a Cat 3 storm. That was then. This is now. To imply they had it coming doesn't sound right to me, IMO
I didn't say they had it coming, I am saying after last year's miss, they should have started building the levees higher and getting ready for a Cat 4 or 5, but they didn't. I am not the only one saying that, as apparently some people have been trying to get the levees and pumps upgraded for several years, to no avail. This amount of damage could have been prevented, to some extent, but wasn't. That makes me very sad. How in the world will they ever get that water our of New Orleans????

upallnite
08-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Kgeaux has been OK through this but she may not be OK throughout the rest of it.Much help is needed and it will filter wherever it is needed. So, send up your prayers to her because she has a giant heart and will more than likely take on a lot and a lot that will cause inconvenience. So, Karen, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I will find a way to help.
I'm so sad tonight!!! I can't even look!!!Hope Kgeaux has a good place to rest.This is the worst!!!

tybee204
08-30-2005, 11:59 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/HurricaneKatrina/story?id=1081633&page=1

Official: Prisoners Riot, Take Hostages in New OrleansChildren Reportedly Among Those Held Captive

Aug. 30, 2005 — Inmates at a prison in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans have rioted, attempted to escape and are now holding hostages, a prison commissioner told ABC News affiliate WBRZ in Baton Rouge, La.

Orleans Parish Prison Commissioner Oliver Thomas reported the incident to WBRZ.

heavenlydaze
08-31-2005, 12:07 AM
I didn't say they had it coming, I am saying after last year's miss, they should have started building the levees higher and getting ready for a Cat 4 or 5, but they didn't. I am not the only one saying that, as apparently some people have been trying to get the levees and pumps upgraded for several years, to no avail. This amount of damage could have been prevented, to some extent, but wasn't. That makes me very sad. How in the world will they ever get that water our of New Orleans????

SSSoooo...in retrospect, we can un-do this now? I think not. Let's concentrate on trying to help these people tomorrow. Open to suggestions. Let's save history lessons for future generations. Any ideas?

Details
08-31-2005, 12:15 AM
All I can see is that the Red Cross has a lot more experience in this than any of us do, they know what is needed. I think the only things that can really help right now are cash donations (because it's easier for them to send cash to some store near the disaster and get a cheap bulk rate on whatever supplies they need), and blood donations will no doubt be badly needed.

I guess there I can help - I'm a regular - if you have questions, just ask. Donating blood is pretty easy, and makes a huge difference in people's lives - I highly recommend it. There are occasional bad experiences, but those are almost always caused by one common mistake - never go in to donate blood when you haven't had enough to eat and drink that day. Have a bite to eat, and plenty to drink a little while before you go in, and you will have very little trouble.

FACE-IT
08-31-2005, 12:15 AM
SSSoooo...in retrospect, we can un-do this now? I think not. Let's concentrate on trying to help these people tomorrow. Open to suggestions. Let's save history lessons for future generations. Any ideas?How about "Never build in coastal areas that are below sea level."

Details
08-31-2005, 12:17 AM
It's important to look at what can be done to prevent this in the future, and the cost of that. That'll determine if we should attempt to rebuild, or if this is a bad idea, it'll happen again if we rebuild there.

Remember, all this is from a near miss of a hurricane that wasn't even a Cat5. They got the weak side of a cat4, and that did all this damage. How possible is it to rebuild something that will withstand a direct hit?

Dara
08-31-2005, 12:21 AM
It's important to look at what can be done to prevent this in the future, and the cost of that. That'll determine if we should attempt to rebuild, or if this is a bad idea, it'll happen again if we rebuild there.\

I agree. If it's too raw now, I can certainly wait to discuss preventative measures, but imo it's worth talking about. Especially if you believe things like this Boston Globe opinion piece (http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/08/30/katrinas_real_name/), which blames global warming. There are a lot of factors at play and I'd like to discuss them when and if others want to.

Beyond Belief
08-31-2005, 12:34 AM
This is the most horrible thing I have ever seen. When Andrew happened they kept the condition alot more hush hush than they are this time. Having gone thru two hurricanes last season, I can only reflect on how stupid it was to leave the first time, then be over confident and stick out the second. This could have been our area last year. I know I am making plans as I type this. I plan on putting a trailer hitch on the car, buy a utility trailer and take anything i want with me when we leave should we face this during this year. I may even check into buy a piece of property in Georgia, so we'll have someplace to go too. This is really a wake call.

Most of our homes last season were livable, the organizations came in and helped with everything we needed. People conducted themselves in an orderly manner. It wasn't so bad.

But the things that are going on in New Orleans. Shooting at the police stations. With river rats like that living in the city, evacuation is a good idea. Get rid of them and don't let them back in EVER.

Praying that the death toll doesn't rise.
Kathy:silenced:

Casshew
08-31-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm so sad tonight!!! I can't even look!!!Hope Kgeaux has a good place to rest.This is the worst!!!
and Civilatty too, I think she is in the New Orleans area :(

Mabel
08-31-2005, 12:45 AM
This is what I was saying to my hubby, if it were my store, they could have it get those children in line and feed em'

I just wish I had a big enough place for them all.

My husband heard on the radio that one of the Walmarts in area opened the doors and let people take what they needed this afternoon.

Nore
08-31-2005, 12:53 AM
Anybody have Pat Robertson's email? I'd like to forward him this information. ;)
---------

I wish I could thank Venezuelas people.I will look into it..Arabia! Over many years of living I have found the people you count on most are the ones who let you down..Their helping to keep gas prices down would help a lot.

Lets check out Robertson for alzhiemers.No one in their right mind would make a remark like that....Minister~yeah right!!!

Nore
08-31-2005, 01:13 AM
Thanks Dara.

Boy it just doesn't end! I wonder if the prisoners realize that they hav eno place to go? Let's hope it isn't true.

Details
08-31-2005, 01:24 AM
My husband heard on the radio that one of the Walmarts in area opened the doors and let people take what they needed this afternoon.I'd heard it was the police who tried to open the doors to give out rations of the food, then the crowd got out of control and started looting everything - jewelry, clothing, electronics, etc.

I'm sure no store owners or managers was dumb enough to try to sit out the hurricane, and the business wouldn't let them do that (since they might be held liable for the employees death when the storm killed them).

Dark Knight
08-31-2005, 02:02 AM
SSSoooo...in retrospect, we can un-do this now? I think not. Let's concentrate on trying to help these people tomorrow. Open to suggestions. Let's save history lessons for future generations. Any ideas?
People critiqued numerous aspects of both the tsunami and 9/11 tragedies beginning not too long afterwards, and for good reasons. This will not be much different, like it or not. We cannot afford to have history repeat itself, and we cannot wait for future generations as the next major hurricane could be as soon as next month. Are any other coastal areas also unprepared? If so, let's get prepared. And yes, if this area is salvageable, it still needs to be ready for future Cat 4 and 5's.

In the meantime, please donate to one of the agencies assisting in this effort! It's going to take an enormous amount of money. And also encourage your lawmakers to encourage Pres. Bush to tap into our oil reserves if need be to keep gas prices from going through the roof. It's jumped 15 cents/gallon here, already.

heavenlydaze
08-31-2005, 02:42 AM
Found these...don't know if the numbers are working. Give it a shot.

Local results for salvation-army near Gulfport, MS
<http://www.google.com/images/map_icon.gif> Salvation Army - 0.6 miles N - 2111 24th Ave, Gulfport, 39501 - (228) 863-3213
Salvation Army - 0.5 miles N - 2009 24th Ave, Gulfport, 39501 - (228) 863-2429
Salvation Army - 13 miles E - 379 Howard Ave, Biloxi, 39530 - (228) 374-8301Local results for salvation-army near New Orleans, LA
<http://www.google.com/images/map_icon.gif> Salvation Army - 2.0 miles SW - 4500 S Claiborne Ave, New Orleans, 70125 - (504) 895-6611
Salvation Army - 3.5 miles W - 200 Jefferson Hwy, Jefferson, 70121 - (504) 835-1781
Salvation Army the: Business Office - 2.0 miles SW - 4526 S Claiborne Ave, New Orleans, 70125 - (504) 899-4569
BTW...Thanks, DK., It's been a long two days.

heavenlydaze
08-31-2005, 02:46 AM
More:

Local results for american-red-cross near New Orleans, LA
<http://www.google.com/images/map_icon.gif> American Red Cross - 1.0 miles NW - 2640 Canal St, New Orleans, 70119 - (504) 821-3746
American Red Cross - 0.2 miles N - New Orleans, 70112 - (504) 833-7556
American Red Cross - 7.3 miles E - 2200 Palmisano Blvd, Chalmette, 70043 - (504) 277-8163
Local results for american-red-cross near Gulfport, MS
<http://www.google.com/images/map_icon.gif> U S Government: American Red Cross - 0.9 miles NW - Gulfport, 39501 - (228) 871-2483
American Red Cross: Blood Services Corner Fernwood & Debuys - 0.9 miles NW - Gulfport, 39501 - (228) 896-6772
American Red Cross Chapters: Biloxi/Gulfport Office - 5.9 miles E - 2782 Fernwood Rd, Biloxi, 39531 - (228) 896-4511

redeskimo
08-31-2005, 04:13 AM
--------------------

Marthatex,I am wondering the same about aid from other Countries..It is time we put our priorities in their proper place! After 9~11 I believe the only Country offering aid was Canada.I will not forget that. I am so sick of this. Mr. Bush dont speak to me about war! Right now my Country needs aid.We could use some of the Guardsmen and soldiers right here.How about sending a few hundred? .....I feel sooooo bad. I could easily take in 10 people to stay here for shelter til this is cleaned up but I am all the way up in Ohio.A college student from Parma came home I think on Monday.He brought the tennis team from the college,except two~just not enough room in the car.They are at the SuperDome.They were told to go home.Some of them are from Indonesia (sp),Austria,England,Canada.How were they to travel all those miles.Marthtex thank you for letting me "spiel off" on your post.I have webtv.and often cannot get through on my own.I have had it with "foriegn aid"..Take care.
I live in Germany ,I've just donated to the red cross , every little helps I think. Maybe Mr Bush should stop his wars and weapons programm , and save some money for his own country . My thoughts and prayers are with all the people involved in this horrible time . may God be with you all .