PDA

View Full Version : Astrodome Full; Reliant Stadium Being Opened

tybee204
09-02-2005, 01:28 AM
The Fire Marshall has stopped anymore refugee's from entering the Dome. It has reached capacity at approx 8,000 people. Bus's are being turned away and redirected to other Cities as of 11:30 pm tonight. A far cry from the 25,000 previously anticipated to be sheltered in Houston.

Mabel
09-02-2005, 01:44 AM
I don't know what to make of this. Tonight on Greata the officials at the Astrodome said they were prepared to take as many refugees as necessary. The spokesman for the Astrodome used the figure of 50,000 when asked about capacity. So why are they filled at 8,000?

lostfaith
09-02-2005, 01:52 AM
Maybe they have thought twice about the safety of their own city. 20 to 50 thousand is ALOT to take on. I think that these refugees should be divided up between many cities. The more the better. That is way too much for one city to take on, divide it up, better for all I think. Would make it easier for these people to find jobs, less competition, the schools would not be over burdened. Just makes sense to me.

tybee204
09-02-2005, 01:53 AM
I dunno? But I cant imagine spending 5 days in the Superdome, 8 hours on a hot bus to be told "Sorry theres no room at the INN" keep moving on down the road.

GonzoReiter
09-02-2005, 03:34 AM
they didn't turn away anyone on the busses tonight...still 100 of them lined up and staged for triage processing as I type this.

this isn't official, but there's been a lot of mis-info tossed around by the TV bobbleheads.

the Astrodome will comfortably SEAT around 50,000 people give or take a few thousand, mostly take because it hasn't had that many people in it for years and years.

the refugees are set up on cots on the floor, and my guess is that a maximum of 7,500 could be reasonably comfortable there but with all the personal effects stacked around the cots one might reduce that number to around 5,000 who'd be able to exist for any period of time in any reasonable semblance of "comfort" considering the circumstances.

say 50 on each bus, and added to the peeps already in the dome around midnight, my guess is 12,500 to 15,000 people medically triaged and processed there tonight. many will be able to pass the night in the stadium seats and if they can provide cots the rest will be in Reliant Center adjacent to the dome.

come tomorrow, arrangements will be made to take the excess refugees to other facilities being set up from San Antonio to Huntsville to Dallas. there's a crew working all night to air condition a building at the old Kelly AFB in San Antonio as an example of one destination.

quite amazing and moving to actually get some real TV coverage from the local stations of the Dome, the volunteers, the professional management by the local police, fire departments, hospital staff.

as I watched, several people who'd seen the arrival while at home...drove down and volunteered to take in some of the people; brought clothing, water, food to those waiting to get in the Dome. volunteers arrived to assist in the care of the refugees, including 3 Baylor College of Medicine students who appeared to be of middle eastern descent. pastors who were coordinating shelter and services thru their church organizations, etc.

I might add that the Mayor's office had no notice the last busses were arriving and no way to coordinate with their counterparts in NOLA because there is zero available communication capability between the two cities as late as this afternoon.

our national agencies are failing in their efforts to handle this disaster to date...hopefully that will change ASAP.

Texas has a heart as big as the State itself...it was an amazing display of citizens reaching out to help their fellows.

kato
09-02-2005, 08:10 AM
The Astrodome is full. It would be a fire hazard if more are let in. They are opening Reliant Stadium which is on the same land. I'm going to see if I can volunteer this weekend.

For Houston residents or nearby residents:

Volunteer: go to the McNee entrance

Food, clothing, etc.: 610 feeder road West

kato
09-02-2005, 08:41 AM
The Fire Marshall has stopped anymore refugee's from entering the Dome. It has reached capacity at approx 8,000 people. Bus's are being turned away and redirected to other Cities as of 11:30 pm tonight. A far cry from the 25,000 previously anticipated to be sheltered in Houston.

OOOPS tybee. I started a thread about this. Maybe you can combine them. They are putting people in Reliant Stadium now. Which is right next door.

kato
09-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Astrodome has 12,000 and will stay that way. Reliant getting about 3,000 right now. Wonder what they will do with the first Texans home football game? Just wonderin'. I really don't care because it's better to help the evacuees out.

Marthatex
09-02-2005, 10:01 AM
That's good. That reliant stadium is so nice. I know the people of Houston will do alot.

It looks like Texas is going to be The Good Neighbor for quite a while now. I know 150 beds are being put in a stadium here, but I will have to find out more.

Jules
09-02-2005, 10:03 AM
We have boxed up clothing and some non-parrishable food to take down later this afternoon. Our subdivision took up a collection for people. Blankets, pillows, etc. too. We have several trucks full. Our subdivision does a garage sale annually and people have been saving things for it. We've all decided to donate rather than sell.

Hope others will do the same. These people have absolutely nothing.

kato
09-02-2005, 10:07 AM
We have boxed up clothing and some non-parrishable food to take down later this afternoon. Our subdivision took up a collection for people. Blankets, pillows, etc. too. We have several trucks full. Our subdivision does a garage sale annually and people have been saving things for it. We've all decided to donate rather than sell.

Hope others will do the same. These people have absolutely nothing.

Jules:

I'm leaving work early and going to the $store and then I'm going to see if I can volunteer.

Jules
09-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Awesome Kato! Good for you! They need all the help we can give!

T'sNana
09-02-2005, 11:25 AM
You know, all of these volunteers as well as FEMA, National Guard, Red Cross, Salvation Army, private citizens deserve a lot of recognition and got a BIG THANKS!!!!! from my family!! :clap:

Dara
09-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Absolutely. To anyone who helped in any capacity, a big :clap: !

I still remember seeing a man risk his life to run after a car that was being swept away in a rush of water. His was chest-deep when he pulled an older man from the car. Both could have died, but neither did, because one man risked his life. I saw that on CNN many times.