PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC Bus carrying hurricane evacuees overturns; one dead, Louisiana police say

mic730
09-01-2005, 01:21 AM
Apparenlty a bus with Katrina victims arrived but it is not one of the buses planned to arrive from the Superdome. No details yet on how the victims got the bus but they went to right shelter in Texas.
They let them in.
Funny - the human spirit finding a way to get to help!
God love them and thank God for Texas.

rollerbladr123
09-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Apparenlty a bus with Katrina victims arrived but it is not one of the buses planned to arrive from the Superdome. No details yet on how the victims got the bus but they went to right shelter in Texas.
They let them in.
Funny - the human spirit finding a way to get to help!
God love them and thank God for Texas.
Mic I was cracking up when i saw that -

mic730
09-01-2005, 01:29 AM
I am listening to it on CNN... not a bus expected but they let them in.
CRACKS me up and makes me feel so good. Looks like a school or church bus on TV. Good for them - some people just take matters into their own hands.
ONLY IN AMERICA and gosh it makes me smile! :) :)

mic730
09-01-2005, 01:39 AM
Oh My it seems the renegade bus riders told stories about being in the SuperDome even though they probably were not there.
Was Joran and K2 on the renegade bus?
LOL LOL LOL LOL

I want to add if these people thought they had to lie because of PANIC that I can understand!!!!!!!!!

rollerbladr123
09-01-2005, 01:46 AM
Oh My it seems the renegade bus riders told stories about being in the SuperDome even though they probably were not there.
Was Joran and K2 on the renegade bus?
LOL LOL LOL LOL

I want to add if these people thought they had to lie because of PANIC that I can understand!!!!!!!!!
LOL there are people in Houston hotels who are checking out of their rooms and wanting to live in the Astrodome because the latter accommodation is free HEHE!!

mic730
09-01-2005, 01:48 AM
I missed that Roller. I am laughing because these people seem to want to live at the best cost. ME TOO!
Human spirit -nothing like it!

LOL there are people in Houston hotels who are checking out of their rooms and wanting to live in the Astrodome because the latter accommodation is free HEHE!!

scandi
09-01-2005, 01:56 AM
Yes, Thank God for Texas and for all the people who have put this project together from the beginning and then of course for these people enduring the what turned out to be an absolutely awful living environment for a few days.

I just heard an interview on CNN with this black man who just was precious. He said he was overdue for everything, and he described what it was like being in the dome. The water was the color of rust, miserably hot, etc. But he wasn't complaining. He was just ready to take a rest now, get some food in his tummy and relax. LOL

And whoever the reporter is in Houston, I must commend him on the way he handled the interview. Interesting questions that were very simple and kindness in his voice. Beautifully done.

Scandi

mic730
09-01-2005, 01:59 AM
Thanks Scandi I did not see it.

mic730
09-01-2005, 02:03 AM
Now CNN is saying this may not have been a renegade bus.
SO they were not lying. Not even panic in the threat of being homeless explains lying!

kato
09-01-2005, 09:00 AM
The transports have been temporarily halted because gun shots are being fired at helicopters taking people from the Superdome to the buses. SICK!!! I think they are starting back up shortly.

Miss Daisey
09-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Bush should federalize the La guard...arm them and treat these w/ak47's as enemy combatants....terrorist...because that's what they are, IMO.

AZ_Veteran
09-01-2005, 10:20 AM
The transports have been temporarily halted because gun shots are being fired at helicopters taking people from the Superdome to the buses. SICK!!! I think they are starting back up shortly.
As a US Army vet, I would have emptied a clip or so on anyone shooting at rescue choppers. Problem solved. :furious:

lilpony
09-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Why are they even shooting at these rescue helicopters? Scares the hell out of me, my Son is one of the flight crew members in the USCG helicopters. He does search and rescue. Why would they be shooting at them, whats wrong with people. Are they going nuts. Please Lord, keep these crew members in these helo's safe.

bakerprune64
09-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Bush should federalize the La guard...arm them and treat these w/ak47's as enemy combatants....terrorist...because that's what they are, IMO.
Exactly Daisey! Wtf are they thinking? I heard some somebody say that these people (looters and such) are acting this wasy to "get back" at society. It was a freakin hurricane! It was nobody's fault that mother nature unleashed, and their irresponsible acts could come at the cost of additional human lives:banghead:

bakerprune64
09-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Why are they even shooting at these rescue helicopters? Scares the hell out of me, my Son is one of the flight crew members in the USCG helicopters. He does search and rescue. Why would they be shooting at them, whats wrong with people. Are they going nuts. Please Lord, keep these crew members in these helo's safe.
I pray for the safety of all of these innocent vitims, resuce workers, LE and military who are in harms way in the "own back yard" at the hands of these freakin idots. Sending good thoughts for your son Lilpony.

SewingDeb
09-01-2005, 12:02 PM

A lot of them were turned away before the bus arrived. They were told the Astrodome will only shelter those evacuated from the Superdome.

I heard the driver was only 20...I wonder whose bus it is. From what I saw it looked like a very nice Trailways bus.

I wonder if this bus was taken at gunpoint...if so, it's not funny.

SewingDeb
09-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Yes, Thank God for Texas and for all the people who have put this project together from the beginning and then of course for these people enduring the what turned out to be an absolutely awful living environment for a few days.

I just heard an interview on CNN with this black man who just was precious. He said he was overdue for everything, and he described what it was like being in the dome. The water was the color of rust, miserably hot, etc. But he wasn't complaining. He was just ready to take a rest now, get some food in his tummy and relax. LOL

And whoever the reporter is in Houston, I must commend him on the way he handled the interview. Interesting questions that were very simple and kindness in his voice. Beautifully done.

Scandi

Scandi,
There is doubt on whether that man was ever at the Superdome...these were not evacuees from the Superdome. I can understand wanting to get out of NO though.

SewingDeb
09-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Now CNN is saying this may not have been a renegade bus.
SO they were not lying. Not even panic in the threat of being homeless explains lying!

I hope that is true. How did they manage to get such a nice bus when others are being loaded on school buses? And how did they manage to arrive an hour before expected?

lilpony
09-01-2005, 12:40 PM
I pray for the safety of all of these innocent vitims, resuce workers, LE and military who are in harms way in the "own back yard" at the hands of these freakin idots. Sending good thoughts for your son Lilpony.
Oh Thank You...Baker, its appreciated!!

AZ_Veteran
09-01-2005, 01:18 PM
GD SOB's anyway. Lilpony, I hope your son has orders to fire back if fired upon to 'grease' those A$$holes. It is getting very close to civil unrest and total marital law. There will be 18,000 or so more NG members going down there, but by then the desparation for water and food may exceed any semblance of common sense and care for a fellow man.

Praying for your son, and proud of him too.

lilpony
09-01-2005, 01:49 PM
GD SOB's anyway. Lilpony, I hope your son has orders to fire back if fired upon to 'grease' those A$$holes. It is getting very close to civil unrest and total marital law. There will be 18,000 or so more NG members going down there, but by then the desparation for water and food may exceed any semblance of common sense and care for a fellow man.

Thank You so much. Its a horrible situation down there. Prayers for all of the rescue workers. And of course for all the people that are homeless now.

txsvicki
09-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Just reported, babies are dying of dehydration at the civic center.

concernedperson
09-01-2005, 07:35 PM

I just don't understand this. I don't understand why they can't drop water and food with all the helicopters being flown around. I don't understand and not one FEMA person or local or state has explained this to me.

Casshew
09-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Great post AZ_Veteran. :clap:

Praying for the men & woman trying to do their jobs and the victims that despartately need them.

Dara
09-01-2005, 07:38 PM
I first heard that earlier this afternoon. There's a firsthand report from an MSNBC journalist over in the main hurricane thread. I think he said he saw two babies who had already died. I only say this because I think it's worth noting how long it's been that we knew children and adults were dying without adequate help coming to them.

Tom'sGirl
09-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Listening to any updates now..........

MrsMush99
09-02-2005, 06:08 PM
I just heard this too. Unbelievable. These poor people, fleeing for their lives only to get into an accident and one dies (at last update) on the way to safety.

poco
09-02-2005, 06:09 PM
I just heard this too. Unbelievable. These poor people, fleeing for their lives only to get into an accident and one dies (at last update) on the way to safety.

Talk about a double whammy - double PTSD! Geez!

concernedperson
09-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Isn't this just unbelievable? Makes my heart grip and wonder how much can people take?

tybee204
09-02-2005, 06:20 PM
One dead in evacuee bus crash

A bus taking evacuees from the Superdome to North Louisiana overturned this afternoon on Interstate-49 in Opelousas, leaving at least one person dead and several critically injured.

Dozens of ambulances are on the scene. Ten people have already been taken to area hospitals and emergency crews are working now to ensure the care of the bus's other occupants.

Dailyworld.com will continue to update this story today as more information becomes available.

http://www.dailyworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050902/NEWS01/50902003

kgeaux
09-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Isn't this just unbelievable? Makes my heart grip and wonder how much can people take?

Happened not too far from me. It is horrible. I told my friend, these poor people cannot catch a break. If there is any silver in the lining, it is that the accident occured less than a mile from Doctor's Hospital and less than a mile in the other direction, from Opelousas General.

Local news anchors are saying that the driver may be the fatality. No news on what caused the accident.

Tom'sGirl
09-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Happened not too far from me. It is horrible. I told my friend, these poor people cannot catch a break. If there is any silver in the lining, it is that the accident occured less than a mile from Doctor's Hospital and less than a mile in the other direction, from Opelousas General.

Local news anchors are saying that the driver may be the fatality. No news on what caused the accident.I looked for my thread post and found it combined here...........I was confused as they were talking about something completely different (someone combined two different topics here):rolleyes:

Anyway, back to the bus that rolled over. I heard a couple of hours ago that one of the refugees got into a physical altercation with the driver causing the accident.

tybee204
09-02-2005, 10:46 PM
I looked for my thread post and found it combined here...........I was confused as they were talking about something completely different (someone combined two different topics here):rolleyes:

Anyway, back to the bus that rolled over. I heard a couple of hours ago that one of the refugees got into a physical altercation with the driver causing the accident.

Sorry about the goofy thread merge. Hurricane related threads are being started all over WS and I have goofed a few trying to get them all put into a central location.

Casshew
09-02-2005, 11:05 PM
are you serious? some poor soul survives a hurricane & the days following and then is killed in a bus crash? :eek:

kgeaux
09-02-2005, 11:08 PM
I looked for my thread post and found it combined here...........I was confused as they were talking about something completely different (someone combined two different topics here):rolleyes:

They are confirming this on local news. Someone wanted the bus to pull over, and the driver was unable to do so, since the bus was part of a convoy. An evacuee got up, walked up to the driver and "initiated a physical confrontation." The bus crashed and rolled, killing one. Still no confirmation if it is the bus driver or an evacuee that died. But ALL survivors have been taken to local hospitals. Some seriously hurt.

Tom'sGirl
09-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Sorry about the goofy thread merge. Hurricane related threads are being started all over WS and I have goofed a few trying to get them all put into a central location.No problem Tybee, I just thought I was "Quacking Up" when I started reading the replies :D

Tom'sGirl
09-03-2005, 10:35 PM
They are confirming this on local news. Someone wanted the bus to pull over, and the driver was unable to do so, since the bus was part of a convoy. An evacuee got up, walked up to the driver and "initiated a physical confrontation." The bus crashed and rolled, killing one. Still no confirmation if it is the bus driver or an evacuee that died. But ALL survivors have been taken to local hospitals. Some seriously hurt.Thanks for the update kgeaux, sad situation on top of all they had gone through.:sick: