PDA

View Full Version : Shepard Smith

Marthatex
09-02-2005, 08:57 PM
I was just watching Shepard Smith and he is doing the greatest job! He is sincere; he cares

He told O'Reilly he is just beside himself because of what he has seen and the frustration.

He says the trouble is the lack of a strong leader; ie like New York had Julianni He said the the mayor of NO took some people from a hotel (they were from other states and other countries) and put them in FRONT of the people who had been waiting for ours by the dome (I guess to be evacuated)

He said there were dead bodies and women were raped by the dome; people dying and no one to help them.

Some people would wait to get "picked up" and no one would ever come. New Orleans is "black" again; I saw smoke.

He has not seen a Red Cross truck at all. He said the problem was: people needed food and water the 1st day
people needed food and water the 2nd day
""""" '''' '' '''' 3rd day

But they got nothing till the 5th day.

He said he "doesn't want to criticize", but it's been so terrible. He said now the National Guard is protecting the French Quarter. He thinks things now are beginning to get better.

Never have I been so impressed by Shepard Smith as a reporter!

Dara
09-02-2005, 09:00 PM
I've heard praise from everyone I know about Shepard Smith and Anderson Cooper. I've seen very little of Smith, but based on what I've seen, I agree. Cooper, I watch every night and love him.

shopper
09-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Joe Scarbrough (sp) has done a great job too IMO. They all have. They've asked the tough questions and didn't take a non-answer for an answer either.

bulletgirl2002
09-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Geraldo is in New Orleans.......Shepard is great. I can't believe they have locked them in the super dome....

Beyond Belief
09-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Geraldo is losing it. Those babies are tearing him apart.

The emotional toll on Shepherd Smith is terrible. I really like him.
Geraldo keeps saying "let them go", "let them out of here".

Linda7NJ
09-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Geraldo is in New Orleans.......
Where the heck was he during Katrina??? I was so hoping to see him in his yellow slicker standing outside the Super Dome......NOT!

( I can't stand Geraldo )

SieSie
09-02-2005, 10:22 PM
I totally agree about Shepard Smith doing an incredible reporting job!! I haven't been able to turn off Fox News, so I don't know about the other reporters, but he's been remarkable. Very objective but you could tell he was emotional. I watched him on the O'Reilly Factor and then again on Hannity & Colmes.

As for Geraldo - I saw him doing the interview in the Superdome and he was saying that the government won't let them out - they're locked in. They went there thinking they were going to get help and food and water and instead they're stuck there in the filth with rapes and murders and mayhem all around them. Geraldo was begging, literally begging, "please, just let them go!!" Very emotional!!

LDC
09-02-2005, 10:46 PM
The dome is empty..Geraldo is at the convention center.

Ntegrity
09-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Geraldo, in his typical overly dramatic style, kept saying SIX DAYS since the hurricane. Great reporting, Geraldo. This is the FOURTH day. The hurricane hit Monday, you fool.

Dara
09-02-2005, 10:51 PM
I put this in another thread but it's appropriate here as well. Ted Koppel's grilling of Michael Brown was great. He may not be in the thick of it, but he asked the tough questions.

Article/Partial Transcript (http://www.cjrdaily.org/archives/001787.asp)

Video (http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Nightline-Fema.mov)

Here's a snippet:

When Brown explained how surprised he was that not everyone left the city before the storm, and that FEMA was currently trying to help those who didn't, Koppel shot back, "Mr. Brown, some of these people are dead. They're beyond your help. Some of these people have died because they needed insulin and couldn't get it ... You say you were surprised by the fact that so many people didn't make it out. It's no surprise to anyone that you had at least 100,000 people in the city of New Orleans who are dirt poor [and couldn't afford to evacuate the city]."

tybee204
09-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Geraldo, in his typical overly dramatic style, kept saying SIX DAYS since the hurricane. Great reporting, Geraldo. This is the FOURTH day. The hurricane hit Monday, you fool.

Today is the 5th day, Mon -Friday and folks had been in the Dome for 6 days. Since Sunday.

He's dramatic but this is human drama at its worst.

SieSie
09-02-2005, 10:58 PM
The dome is empty..Geraldo is at the convention center.
Thanks, LDC - I couldn't remember if he was in the CC or the Superdome, but either way, was shocked to hear that they were locked in there and not allowed to leave.

LOL, I heard him say 6 days, too, and I even looked over at my husband with a questioning look - we both just shrugged. He is definitely overly dramatic, but when he was pleading to just let the people go, I thought it was very touching.

Liz
09-03-2005, 03:35 AM

I know. He must be using that old "fuzzy math".

Just hearing the repeat of Hannity and Colmes, even Hannity says it's been five days! Guess he's using fuzzy new math. lol

Bobbisangel
09-03-2005, 04:34 AM
I was just watching Shepard Smith and he is doing the greatest job! He is sincere; he cares

He told O'Reilly he is just beside himself because of what he has seen and the frustration.

He says the trouble is the lack of a strong leader; ie like New York had Julianni He said the the mayor of NO took some people from a hotel (they were from other states and other countries) and put them in FRONT of the people who had been waiting for ours by the dome (I guess to be evacuated)

He said there were dead bodies and women were raped by the dome; people dying and no one to help them.

Some people would wait to get "picked up" and no one would ever come. New Orleans is "black" again; I saw smoke.

He has not seen a Red Cross truck at all. He said the problem was: people needed food and water the 1st day

He said he "doesn't want to criticize", but it's been so terrible. He said now the National Guard is protecting the French Quarter. He thinks things now are beginning to get better.

He has said just what he thinks every time he comes on. Several of the news people have been just as outspoken. I think he was the first to say it like it is and that gave others the nerve to do the same.

I have heard the mayor beg for help. One third of the police force tucked tail and left New Orleans!!!! National Guard should have been called in on day 1...not day 5. Horrible things have happened and no one could control those who decided to take advantage of the disaster. I've never seen anything like it. I hope I never do again.

ariel7
09-03-2005, 05:09 AM
Geraldo is losing it. Those babies are tearing him apart.

The emotional toll on Shepherd Smith is terrible. I really like him.
Geraldo keeps saying "let them go", "let them out of here".

Hello BB,

nice to meet you, finally,lol,
though I have read your posts
off-n-on for a little while.:)

I totally agree on Shep! He's
my fave, btw...
and I just heard Geraldo reporting
for the first time this past evening..very
heart-wrenching.:(

I am praying for the news guys
and gals,in addition to everyone
else there. They sure do need it.

with much love,

Ariel:blowkiss:

edited to add: just saw part of Shep's
reporting on O'reilly.
Those poor ppl!:(

ariel7
09-03-2005, 07:16 AM
An article at worldnetdaily:

Sobbing Geraldo:
Let the people go!

Rivera, Shep Smith make emotional pleas as survivors 'trapped' at convention center

Emotions are running high in the aftermath of catastrophic Hurricane Katrina, not only among the survivors, but also among the media covering the New Orleans Convention Center, considered ground zero for post-storm squalor and mayhem.

more at link:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46131

love,

Ariel

less0305
09-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Just where do all those reporters go at night? Every morning they say, "While we were driving in this morning..." I've seen reporters with fresh clothes on every single day. I've seen reporters who quite obviously are clean shaven. I've seen reporters with white shirts on that don't have one single speck of dirt or sweat stains on them. Don't get me wrong...some do wonderful jobs and put themselves in harm's way. But when they drive their motorcoach back out at night down the road to another city, why don't they take a few families with them? Or if they do, they're not letting us know they are. They quite obviously go somewhere and get more gas, recharge their batteries, do whatever it is they do....eat, I'm sure. So take some folks with them. They use the bathroom somewhere...where? If they've got a motorcoach, let some folks use the bathroom in their coach. If I were standing beside a dying baby - I wouldn't be crying "Let the people go." I'd be putting that baby in my "news" coach and driving the hell out of that city to a hospital or medic somewhere. I don't get it. Explain to me how a reporter can stand beside a dying baby and NOT put it in their van and drive it out. They're obviously allowed to drive in and out each day.

Linda7NJ
09-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Just where do all those reporters go at night? Every morning they say, "While we were driving in this morning..." I've seen reporters with fresh clothes on every single day. I've seen reporters who quite obviously are clean shaven. I've seen reporters with white shirts on that don't have one single speck of dirt or sweat stains on them. Don't get me wrong...some do wonderful jobs and put themselves in harm's way. But when they drive their motorcoach back out at night down the road to another city, why don't they take a few families with them? Or if they do, they're not letting us know they are. They quite obviously go somewhere and get more gas, recharge their batteries, do whatever it is they do....eat, I'm sure. So take some folks with them. They use the bathroom somewhere...where? If they've got a motorcoach, let some folks use the bathroom in their coach. If I were standing beside a dying baby - I wouldn't be crying "Let the people go." I'd be putting that baby in my "news" coach and driving the hell out of that city to a hospital or medic somewhere. I don't get it. Explain to me how a reporter can stand beside a dying baby and NOT put it in their van and drive it out. They're obviously allowed to drive in and out each day.
I have wondered the same thing.

I have also wondered why the media helicopters that have been flying over day after day since the beginning couldn't drop some bottled water and some cereal or something to those trapped on rooftops.

In discussing it with my neighbors I was stunned by their mentality! Their reasoning, it wouldn't make much difference, a drop in the bucket. I was practically yelling that it would sure make a difference to those they few they could help. I wonder what the media's reasoning is?

lorann
09-03-2005, 09:33 AM
The way the news people are trying so hard to beg for relief for these stranded people, I find it hard to think they are not getting some out as they can. With thousands there, they can't publicize what they are doing. They just can't do it all, they can't get each one out. I am sure they are sharing the food and water that they can, they are just too caring not to. Their job of reporting and trying to put pressure is important. I would think the officials would get aid to those people just to quiet them. Bless these newspeople for what they are doing. It may make us mad, we might not like what they have to say - but if they can get one bus load out, they have helped.

LadyLuck
09-03-2005, 10:12 AM
I think Shepard Smith really cares. What I do not understand is that the news networks are not doing anything to make the situation better. S.Smith stated I have been on this overpass and day l, no food or water, day 2 no food or water, day 3 no food or water, day 4 no food or water. They have large satellite trucks there and many, many reporters. Fox News have lots of money. Why don't they rent trucks, go to wal mart or target buy water and food and take a truck load in with them on day l, day 2, day 3, day 4. No they could not have helped all the needy but maybe they would have saved a baby or grandmother. There was a reporter on MSNBC (can not remember his name) who lives in Pensacola. The first day he went in he found people who had not had any water or food. He went home and his church got things together and he and his wife carried food and water back the next day. Everyone that can should do SOMETHING besides report the bad things.

Dara
09-03-2005, 10:17 AM
I think Shepard Smith really cares. What I do not understand is that the news networks are not doing anything to make the situation better.
I only snipped the rest of your post because I wanted to comment on one aspect.

I think the networks, in this crisis, did make things better. I think that if we weren't getting their reports and were only hearing how well things were going from the administration, we still wouldn't be seeing much of an effort to help the disaster victims. I think the media's spotlight made a big difference and maybe even saved lives. I wish their scrutiny wasn't necessary and that people just got the help they needed, but it didn't happen. While babies were dying, Michael Brown was saying he didn't know they were there. Without CNN and Fox and MSNBC, etc, the rest of us wouldn't have either.

I don't care if they didn't do the Red Cross' job or FEMA's job. They did theirs. And I think they did make the situation better.

LadyLuck
09-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Dara, you are correct. I feel the same way just did not include that in my ranting. I am glad they are calling attention to this -I guess I am just so heart broken that this was allowed to happen. I still think they could have carried some water in with them-they could have done more for the ones on that bridge. I do not think I could have left each day and go back the next without taking some water in and someout out with me.

nanandjim
09-03-2005, 10:23 AM
...He has not seen a Red Cross truck at all...
The Director of the Red Cross said that they have to be given authorization to enter the disaster areas. He said that they cannot just "barge" in and that the areas must be deemed safe for the volunteers to enter.

I believe that the Mayor of NO (who is busy pointing fingers everywhere else) did not have a disaster plan. Without a plan, there is chaos.

Shepard Smith did do a nice job of explaining the situation and stated more than once that he realized the task was astronomical and wasn't going to point fingers at anyone.

nanandjim
09-03-2005, 10:25 AM
...I wonder what the media's reasoning is?
IMO, they are there to get a sensational story, the more negative the better. They are not there to help anyone except their particular network's ratings.

Dara
09-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Dara, you are correct. I feel the same way just did not include that in my ranting. I am glad they are calling attention to this -I guess I am just so heart broken that this was allowed to happen. I still think they could have carried some water in with them-they could have done more for the ones on that bridge. I do not think I could have left each day and go back the next without taking some water in and someout out with me.
I think it's a good question. I don't think I could do it either, but then, I decided at 18 I didn't have it in me to be a journalist. I definitely don't want to hijack this thread, but there are a lot of great discussions regarding just this question surrounding Kevin Carter's 1994 Pulitzer Prize winning photograph. If you haven't read some of the debates, you might find them interesting, though maybe not now, because it's just heartwrenching. Are you familiar with the photograph I'm referring to?

lorann
09-03-2005, 10:31 AM
To each their own opinion. I don't think they want to relay to the world how bad and inefficiently things are going. When there is a good story or a heartwarming story, they report those. Each reporter has been exposed to the worst thing in their lives, they are reporting what they see. I would much rather hear and see the truth than depend on what Homeland Security is saying.

Dara
09-03-2005, 10:40 AM
To each their own opinion. I don't think they want to relay to the world how bad and inefficiently things are going. When there is a good story or a heartwarming story, they report those. Each reporter has been exposed to the worst thing in their lives, they are reporting what they see. I would much rather hear and see the truth than depend on what Homeland Security is saying.
Well said. I've seen the positive, heartwarming stories. But when people are dying while waiting for help and the White House is saying everything is going well and if criticisms are partisan, I'm glad the media reported what was really going on.

I don't think they sensationalized a thing. At least not the coverage I watched.

nanandjim
09-03-2005, 10:53 AM
...I don't think they sensationalized a thing. At least not the coverage I watched.
I was watching MSNBC the other night when a reporter stressed that this story is being reported through the opening of a straw. He said that each report is very focused and that, although everyone is not being helped, many are. This is such a huge castrophe that it is very difficult to help everyone immediately.

Unlike some other posters, I place the blame on the local government for lack of leadership and lack of a plan for a disaster such as this. Louisiana has state and local government officials who didn't step up to the plate.

Of course, it is easy for me--sitting at my computer--to be a critic. There will be plenty of time for the real participants to evaluate what went wrong and how they can improve in the future.

less0305
09-03-2005, 10:56 AM
IMO, they are there to get a sensational story, the more negative the better. They are not there to help anyone except their particular network's ratings.

Nan.... I so agree. It's been said so many times, and I believe it is true to some extent, they are there for sensationalism for a large part...ratings/money. As some of the volunteers said, a lot of the good was not being shown. The media spins as much as they can. It has been said that politicians spin the truth. Yeah, well so do the media.

lorann
09-03-2005, 10:59 AM
I am watching the evacuation of the people at the convention center. This is very positive.

Dara
09-03-2005, 11:04 AM
I was watching MSNBC the other night when a reporter stressed that this story is being reported through the opening of a straw. He said that each report is very focused and that, although everyone is not being helped, many are. This is such a huge castrophe that it is very difficult to help everyone immediately. Focused doesn't equal sensationalized. I saw no sensationalized reports. Actually, I felt for the first couple of days, reporting was toned down to avoid panic. As the situation became more dire, I think CNN (the one I watched the most) started showing things like dead bodies that they hadn't, imo, as a conscious or unconscious effort to get some damn help to the people.

Again, there is a huge divide between helping everyone and failing to do all that could reasonably have been done. I don't think we came close to doing all that could have reasonably been done.

Unlike some other posters, I place the blame on the local government for lack of leadership and lack of a plan for a disaster such as this. Louisiana has state and local government officials who didn't step up to the plate. I don't know where the blame should lie (except for a few people), but saying that there is blame to be laid says that you realize there were mistakes made. I honestly can't see how anyone could think otherwise. But when we see people dying and the federal government doesn't step in, they're responsible as well.

Of course, it is easy for me--sitting at my computer--to be a critic. There will be plenty enough time for the real participants to reevaluate what went wrong and how they can improve in the future. Considering that the "real participants" were the ones who screwed it up and were downplaying and imo outright lying about what was happening, I hope there are a lot of watchdogs, including the media and just us plain folks, to make sure they don't just play the CYA game.

less0305
09-03-2005, 11:31 AM
I am watching the evacuation of the people at the convention center. This is very positive.

I guess that's why Fox news showed all of about 30 seconds of film of it and then cut away to discuss oil prices.

LadyLuck
09-03-2005, 11:34 AM
I think it's a good question. I don't think I could do it either, but then, I decided at 18 I didn't have it in me to be a journalist. I definitely don't want to hijack this thread, but there are a lot of great discussions regarding just this question surrounding Kevin Carter's 1994 Pulitzer Prize winning photograph. If you haven't read some of the debates, you might find them interesting, though maybe not now, because it's just heartwrenching. Are you familiar with the photograph I'm referring to?

I am not familiar with his work, I am going to look it up. Thanks.

Dara
09-03-2005, 11:56 AM
One word about the media: Thanks to their coverage, I was apparently much, MUCH better informed than Michael Brown, FEMA director.

In the words of Ted Koppel, "Don't you guys watch television?"

nanandjim
09-03-2005, 12:48 PM
I guess that's why Fox news showed all of about 30 seconds of film of it and then cut away to discuss oil prices.
And, Biloxi and others areas were totally devastated by this storm. Yet, because the local governments had a plan in place, there isn't the chaos and problems that are happening in NO. I certainly see slim coverage concerning these areas. Hmmmm....wonder why?? :waitasec:

Mabel
09-03-2005, 03:16 PM
And, Biloxi and others areas were totally devastated by this storm. Yet, because the local governments had a plan in place, there isn't the chaos and problems that are happening in NO. I certainly see slim coverage concerning these areas. Hmmmm....wonder why?? :waitasec:

The worst is over for the people of Biloxi and the other devastated areas. There are no people trapped in attics waiting to be rescued, no convention centers filled with thousands of dying people, people aren't being raped and murdered in the streets. The news is focused on NO because that's where the news is happening. The reports are mostly negative because it's a negative situation. It would be very irresponsible of the networks to show 90% "happy" stories when that's not the reality of what's happening.

People are dying by the hundreds. The world needs to know the truth as horrible as it is, not some sugar-coated version of it.

SandyBee
09-03-2005, 03:32 PM
I believe that the Mayor of NO (who is busy pointing fingers everywhere else) did not have a disaster plan. Without a plan, there is chaos.

:clap: There was no leadership in NO at a time they really needed it. However, to be fair, they did give fair warning to evacuate days ahead of time. They still should've had a plan to help those who could not get out.

I think Shepard Smith and Steve Harrigan did a most excellent job!

T'sNana
09-03-2005, 09:37 PM
I just saw this thread and I'm so glad you started one about Shepard Smith. He is WONDERFUL!! I posted about him on another thread about how he was BEGGING for help and how great he and Anderson Cooper both have been! Thanks for the thread. He deserves it!

T'sNana
09-03-2005, 09:40 PM
I agree and NO (because of it's bowl-like landscape) DID get the worst. It is UGLY. There is no doubt it is not pretty. But, it's nice to see some positive stories about it, which doesn't surprise me with American people. I'm disgusted with some of the public officials' response, etc. THESE ARE AMERICANS DYING....it's not a pretty picture and I'm thankful for the media showing us so we can vote some of these people out of office who can't handle their jobs. JMO.
The worst is over for the people of Biloxi and the other devastated areas. There are no people trapped in attics waiting to be rescued, no convention centers filled with thousands of dying people, people aren't being raped and murdered in the streets. The news is focused on NO because that's where the news is happening. The reports are mostly negative because it's a negative situation. It would be very irresponsible of the networks to show 90% "happy" stories when that's not the reality of what's happening.

People are dying by the hundreds. The world needs to know the truth as horrible as it is, not some sugar-coated version of it.

lorann
09-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Where is Shep now? I have watched almost non stop and haven't seen him. I hope they just got him out of there for a much needed rest and I hope he does not get in trouble begging for help for those people.

T'sNana
09-03-2005, 10:51 PM
I seem to catch him by chance. I don't know if all cable and satellite companies are going through this but it seems the guide on my satellite for what is on....isn't. I channel surf so much as it seems I'm starving for information...wanting to see miracles...etc. and I happen to catch him. A lot of night I don't sleep very well so I get his rerun as well...usually by accident!
Where is Shep now? I have watched almost non stop and haven't seen him. I hope they just got him out of there for a much needed rest and I hope he does not get in trouble begging for help for those people.

lorann
09-03-2005, 11:01 PM
He is on Fox - it's just that I think I saw him first thing this am but not the rest of the day. He was pretty vocal last night. Just wonderin'.

Mygirlsadie
09-05-2005, 10:11 AM
He is on Fox - it's just that I think I saw him first thing this am but not the rest of the day. He was pretty vocal last night. Just wonderin'.
Maybe Shep had to take a break away from it all for a minute. One can only see so much human suffering before it starts affecting your mental status. Not saying that he is going nuts or anything just that this has probably played a huge emotional toll on him. I personally could not imagine walking amongst the dead and among the little ones crying due to thirst it would scar me for life i'm sure.

TisHerself
09-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Where the heck was he during Katrina??? I was so hoping to see him in his yellow slicker standing outside the Super Dome......NOT!

( I can't stand Geraldo )Not funny!!! you should have been down there with him, the man was devasted. Tears streaming down his face holding a 10 mth old baby in his arms inside the Super Dome, srceaming "Get these people out of here". Whether you like him or not saying so now was not necessary. JMHO He was Amazingly Caring and compationate and a loving face to those people who were suffering.:mad:

Mygirlsadie
09-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Not funny!!! you should have been down there with him, the man was devasted. Tears streaming down his face holding a 10 mth old baby in his arms inside the Super Dome, srceaming "Get these people out of here". Whether you like him or not saying so now was not necessary. JMHO He was Amazingly Caring and compationate and a loving face to those people who were suffering.:mad:
Yea I watched Geraldo also the man was beside himself. He took it extremely hard. Geraldo despite what everyone may think of him does have a huge heart. I think if anything the only reason he may have gotten over dramatic is because he felt helpless and felt that his cries for help were going unanswered. That would make me pull out all the stops as well.

dakini
09-05-2005, 10:39 AM

( I can't stand Geraldo )
Geraldo has had his moments of heroism.

Perhaps, if you live on the East Coast you might remember that as a young reporter he broke a story about deplorable conditions in a mental hospital.

This was a ground breaking story and it led to a positive change in the treatment of the mentally ill.

TisHerself
09-05-2005, 10:44 AM
There was nothing foolish in what Geraldo was doing, how sad that someone would even say that. Or even call him a fool right now, I am not crazy about him either, but criticizing him for what he did during this horror IMHO is uncalled for. He genuinly cared for those people who were suffering and just wanted to get them help Both he and Sheppard Smith, wore theirs hearts on their sleeves on this one. Kuddos to them both.

Dara
09-05-2005, 11:02 AM
There was nothing foolish in what Geraldo was doing, how sad that someone would even say that. Or even call him a fool right now, I am not crazy about him either, but criticizing him for what he did during this horror IMHO is uncalled for. He genuinly cared for those people who were suffering and just wanted to get them help Both he and Sheppard Smith, wore theirs hearts on their sleeves on this one. Kuddos to them both.
I watched the clip. I can't stand Geraldo, but I understood, watching him, that he was agonizing and terrified for those people. He saw them dying, he was weeping over a child. It was horrific.

If anyone hasn't seen it, the clips of Geraldo and Shepard Smith are here (you have to scroll down). There are clips from many news stories and interviews there. Worth a look, imo.

Mygirlsadie
09-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Geraldo has had his moments of heroism.

Perhaps, if you live on the East Coast you might remember that as a young reporter he broke a story about deplorable conditions in a mental hospital.

This was a ground breaking story and it led to a positive change in the treatment of the mentally ill.
Yes he definately has done alot of great things. I remember mostly his reporting on the living conditions in Chicagos cabrini green. Alot of things changed thanks to Geraldos eye opening reporting of Cabrini Green.

Linda7NJ
09-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Yea I watched Geraldo also the man was beside himself. He took it extremely hard. Geraldo despite what everyone may think of him does have a huge heart. I think if anything the only reason he may have gotten over dramatic is because he felt helpless and felt that his cries for help were going unanswered. That would make me pull out all the stops as well.
I am sure he was emotional, but the close up of the unwiped tears ?

TisHerself
09-05-2005, 11:47 AM
I am sure he was emotional, but the close up of the unwiped tears ?
The unwiped tears? Wow how sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The man was crying real tears.

lorann
09-05-2005, 12:00 PM
If Geraldo's tears were real or not, if it caused one person to repond in any way at all, what did he hurt?

I have no doubt that Shep's emotions were real and like another poster said, after seeing all of that suffering, it has to take it's toll.

TisHerself
09-05-2005, 02:40 PM
If Geraldo's tears were real or not, if it caused one person to repond in any way at all, what did he hurt?

I have no doubt that Shep's emotions were real and like another poster said, after seeing all of that suffering, it has to take it's toll.
Exactly I'm sure what those guys experienced in NO will stay with them forever.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Shep's back in suit and tie at the Fox studio, looks like nothing happened to him. I'm amazed, as I do believe he has to be a changed (for the better) man. I'm impressed.

He looks pretty dam* good, if ya ask me.... :D

lorann
09-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Shep's back in suit and tie at the Fox studio, looks like nothing happened to him. I'm amazed, as I do believe he has to be a changed (for the better) man. I'm impressed.

He looks pretty dam* good, if ya ask me.... :D

Thank you so much. I really was concerned. He always looks good! His voice is very distinctive - and wonderful eyes!

DEPUTYDAWG
09-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Thank you so much. I really was concerned. He always looks good! His voice is very distinctive - and wonderful eyes!

That's exactly what I was thinking - voice and eyes! ;)

Jamie
09-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Shep is from Holly Springs, Mississippi

concernedperson
09-05-2005, 09:13 PM
His tears and pain weren't Scott Peterson's croc tears . And I hate to sully this forum about that piece of crap that should never be discussed again and too much attention is placed on his importence but there is a differance. Real people with real considerations and I think we should focus on that. The sociopathy will continue and we can do this but right now we are looking at a huge American tragedy and huge American needs. Scott Peterson is behind bars and a loser and has nothing to do with importence right now.

Marthatex
09-23-2005, 10:49 PM
In retrospect, the media did a fantastic job of reporting the devastation and aftereffects of a major catastrophe, Katrina.

Shadow205
09-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Shepherd Smith is doing a great job again tonight.

Tom'sGirl
09-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Shepherd Smith is doing a great job again tonight.He not only is a great correspondent, he "ain't" bad on the eyes either! I'd almost die for his long eye lashes.....hmmmmmm :innocent:

Camper
09-24-2005, 09:11 AM
YES YES, I had missed this thread. Sheppard Smith has my UNDYING attention, quiver quiver.

I do believe that Shep is the NEW Peter Jennings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shep actually 'THINKS'. HIS voice is to die for. I say Sheppard Smith for president!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anderson Cooper grew on me, I adore him as well, he is thinking and those blue eyes penetrate the person being queried by him.

YESTERDAY, Friday, Shep is standing in the STRONG wind and rain, and his little windbreaker jacket and slacks, he is a wisp of a guy. I donut think he has an ounce of fat anywhere on his body, and particularly not in his head!!!!!!!!!

EVERYONE else is just a wannabee, Shep and Anderson are where its at!!

For females, I LOVE CAROL MCKINLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She digs and gets the information, great voice, great woman. She used to be on our local Denver RADIO stations and do man in the street stuff too. SHE DESERVES A BETTER SEAT ON CABLE TV. SHE is a thinker and a doer. She has lived and experienced a great deal and deserves more recognition.

She is what beauty is about. Beauty is NOT always piano key teeth, makeup and every little hair in place.

Also, I think Shep seems to have a tender spot for Molly Hennaberg sp?, he is always so sweet to her (I am sleuthing that one, hmmm)when they have interaction on NEWS thingies. Wonder, has anyone figured out if Shep is married, or if Molly is?

I apologize I have NOT read the entire thread. Time constraints today.

Pandora
09-24-2005, 09:21 AM
What I love about Shep:
1) He has a personality! (Yes, I know news is supposed to be objective. I don't always appreciate it when he adds his point of view, but I love it when he snickers at something funny.)
2) He corrects the grammar of the copy writers! I've NEVER seen/heard any other news reporter/anchor do this--he even apologizes for the grammatical error! :woohoo:

lorann
09-24-2005, 09:38 AM
I would love it if these major stations (when the most serious news is reported) would feature these favorite storm personalities. We have watched as reporters on our trial cases have been "discovered" and have secured major network jobs. But Shep and Anderson were already stars - they just grew bigger in my eyes. Although Fox is not always my favorite station, for the most part they have taken me through the storms.

Marthatex
09-24-2005, 10:14 AM
"storm personalities" LOL! Why they send these guys to stand in the middle of a dangerous storm is beyond me.

Yes Anderson really grew on me also - VERY professional reporting. Yes, Peter Jennings will have capable successors, sadly enough. I'm not familiar with McKinley; I'll have to watch.

Yep, Shep is just cute as all get out and professional too. And from Mississippi? wonder if he knows Grisham. Growing up in Mississippi can be a handicap all in itself.

How ya doin' Camper???

BillyGoatGruff
09-24-2005, 02:26 PM

Well, it turns out the reason the tourists were evaced out first is because they were in serius danger of being raped/murdered by the locals.

tybee204
09-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Fox News Channel's Smith Buoys Reputation

More atLink (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050925/ap_en_tv/tv_shepard_smith;_ylt=ArCr5nB0moYMLzq8DZVu5GSs0NUE ;_ylu=X3oDMTA3YXYwNDRrBHNlYwM3NjI-)
NEW YORK - Much like a youthful Dan Rather made a name for himself with stellar coverage of a Gulf Coast hurricane two generations ago, Fox News Channel's Shepard Smith opened some eyes with his work in the face of a powerful and blustery force

And we're not just talking about Hurricane Hannity

Smith's passionate reportage from a New Orleans highway overpass clogged with the sick and dying won critical praise, helped renew interest in his nightly newscast and earned him his first visit to David Letterman's couch. Letterman's people called even before Smith's memorable exchange with talk show host Sean Hannity.

Fox's chief anchor will increase his profile even more with a nightly radio newscast that begins airing Monday on more than 260 Fox affiliates.

Buzz Mills
09-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Does anyone remember the Shepard Smith and Linda (Vester(sp.??)) team. She was so goodle-eyed by Shepard, she became tongue-tied, and disappeared from FOX temporarily. To me, at the time, it appeared that they had had a fling, and she was definitely in "overlike" with Shep.

tybee204
09-25-2005, 05:20 PM
LOL im googlied eyed and in overlike with Shep to . He is a hottie!!!! :p :blushing:

Marthatex
09-25-2005, 05:32 PM
He looks like one of those sweet guys who loves his mamma and has women falling all over him but he hardly notices.

(I know that probably doesn't sound quite right, but what I mean is I bet he's just a nice fellow who does a good job at whatever he's doing)

Buzz Mills
09-25-2005, 05:45 PM
He looks like one of those sweet guys who loves his mamma and has women falling all over him but he hardly notices.

(I know that probably doesn't sound quite right, but what I mean is I bet he's just a nice fellow who does a good job at whatever he's doing)No, that doesn't sound right. Was there anything in particular you were referring to?? :liar:

Marthatex
09-26-2005, 02:16 PM
No. Maybe it's best that I just be mute. What time does his show come on?