PDA

View Full Version : Texas is Opening its Arms

Marthatex
09-03-2005, 08:37 AM
It is so gratifying to see how happy and relieved some of the refugees are to have arrived at the Astrodome. They were being interviewed last night and said the funniest thing - "this highway rocks" and one older woman yelled something at Bush I couldn't understand LOL. Her eyes were all swollen (I think from waiting out in the sun for days) I was even impressed with Gov. Rick Perry, he was really involved in setting alot of things up at the Astrodome. SBC is putting in an entire phone system so they can call their loved ones.

I was so impressed with the guys and gals that Greta interviewed. Really sweet, polite kids, kind of dazed and sad to have lost their homes but looking forward to being in Texas and receiving help.

Here in central Tx. we are receiving 5000 the last I heard, the property owners are donating apartments, and many of the businesses will be giving freebies, including Starbucks - free water and Coffee, not sure about food.

Churches are going into action, and we are receiving lists of what is needed - baby items and food, kitchen items, clothing, towels, sheets. Many of us are cleaning out our closets at this time. My son is getting involved in a shelter being set up this weekend I believe.

This is going to be an amazing opportunity to bring blacks and whites together, to help them to a certain extent with their dire straits; usually we remain so segregated.

kgeaux
09-03-2005, 12:34 PM
I *think* she said something like "You listen to me, Mr. Bush. You will never get my vote. You didn't get it last time and you won't get it next time."

She was one angry lady and not afraid to say it, either! But for Mr. Bush, there won't be a next time, he's already in his second term.

LadyLuck
09-03-2005, 12:46 PM
I am very impressed with how Texas is opening its cities. They seem very prepared. Very impressed with the governor.

Nova
09-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Good on Texas!

Martha, before witnesses here, I swear: no more Texas jokes and slurs from me! (At least not until the next time ya'll send us a president.)

Casshew
09-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Thank god for Texas & their big hearts.

Ntegrity
09-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Texas makes me very proud. I hope their charity is returned ten-fold.

mic730
09-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Don't mess with Texas seems to extend to Hurricaine Katrina and their neighbors too!
Texans do this country proud.
I heard today they are gooing to get the kids from LA in SA into school next week! WOW that it is one great state.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-03-2005, 03:40 PM
In our little newspaper here this morning, it said Texas has already enrolled 3,500 students, statewide. To me, that is just amazing. To have people/familes/students displaced...and to have already done 3,500+ enrollments (meaning they've found stable shelter, have done the paperwork processing, etc.) is phenomenal. Some school districts in our county (McLennan) and more in Bell County have ALREADY had some of the students in class. Woweeeee

kgeaux
09-03-2005, 04:43 PM
In our little newspaper here this morning, it said Texas has already enrolled 3,500 students, statewide. To me, that is just amazing. To have people/familes/students displaced...and to have already done 3,500+ enrollments (meaning they've found stable shelter, have done the paperwork processing, etc.) is phenomenal. Some school districts in our county (McLennan) and more in Bell County have ALREADY had some of the students in class. Woweeeee

Lafayette has enrolled 2,000 as of 4PM Friday! Good is happening. And hip, hip, horray for Texas! A big state full of big hearts!! I am so proud of them.

concernedperson
09-03-2005, 07:00 PM
I just love Texas right now. Restoring hope to people is the greatest thing you can do.

Liz
09-03-2005, 08:18 PM
My hat's off to Texas, for sure! Texas has stepped up to the plate and is truly going to bat for the evacuees! Bless the hearts of Texans! :clap: :clap:

It's hard for me to imagine - the Astrodome now has more than twice twenty times the population of the city I reside in!

Marthatex
09-04-2005, 03:11 AM
Rick Perry even said that the students who were displaced (Tulane) could enroll in Texas schools at in-state tuition rates - wow I would have never thought of that so quickly. (good luck getting into UT; it's already stuffed to the gills)

Nova, you realize it was a photo-op, and Perry is jumping at the chance to get re-elected (he looked like zorro orBatman in his all-black "cool cat" outfit), but it looked like things were really set up and moving well and that was the best I have ever heard him speak. Probably someone else did all the work.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Baylor, here in Waco, has said it would offer free schooling for any LA student already paid up in a LA college. (Considering Baylor is a +/- $15K/semester university, that is quite generous.)

I'm not a huge Baylor fan, but this is great.

MrsMush99
09-04-2005, 06:38 PM
I always wanted to live in Texas. This gives me even more reason to want to! God Bless Texas.

Gabby
09-04-2005, 08:06 PM
I always wanted to live in Texas. This gives me even more reason to want to! God Bless Texas.

Daisy I would not want to live anywhere else... we show people what the term "Southern Hospitality" is all about.....

NewMom2003
09-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Daisy I would not want to live anywhere else... we show people what the term "Southern Hospitality" is all about.....

:clap: :clap:

I took off work Thursday and Friday (I'm here at work today) just to work on aiding the people from NO. Several smaller churches in my area pulled together to raise money for the Red Cross. We had a car wash and people dropped off items to either be sent to the Astrodome and distributed or sold in a large garage sale we had Friday and Saturday. Between the garage sale and the car wash, we raised about $3700. I know it's not alot in the bigger scheme of things, but anything will help these people.

It's amazing to me the number of people who have opened their homes, wallets, and hearts to our neighbors to the East. God Bless Them!!!

The local Texas Workforce Commission (I think it's called something different now) in my area was so jammed packed Thurs and Friday that police had to be called in to block off streets and watch over the crowds.

My neighbors have family with them from Metairie and New Orleans. It's so heart breaking to talk with them. They have no idea what has happened to their homes.

dakini
09-05-2005, 11:08 AM
:clap: :clap:

I took off work Thursday and Friday (I'm here at work today) just to work on aiding the people from NO. Several smaller churches in my area pulled together to raise money for the Red Cross. We had a car wash and people dropped off items to either be sent to the Astrodome and distributed or sold in a large garage sale we had Friday and Saturday. Between the garage sale and the car wash, we raised about $3700. I know it's not alot in the bigger scheme of things, but anything will help these people.

It's amazing to me the number of people who have opened their homes, wallets, and hearts to our neighbors to the East. God Bless Them!!!

The local Texas Workforce Commission (I think it's called something different now) in my area was so jammed packed Thurs and Friday that police had to be called in to block off streets and watch over the crowds.

My neighbors have family with them from Metairie and New Orleans. It's so heart breaking to talk with them. They have no idea what has happened to their homes.
That is wonderful. Kudos to you.

bulletgirl2002
09-05-2005, 11:33 AM
They probably dispensed with the paperwork requirement. I know Georgia and South Carolina are. You just show up and you are enrolled.

lilpony
09-07-2005, 11:40 PM
I just have to tell you guys this information. I know you will be interested or maybe saddened, or for that matter mad!!
I know some of you know, as I have given this information before. My son is in the USCG, a crew member in the heli's, on the search and rescues. Well, some of the men and women went to the Astrodome, to help do what they could. They were shocked and saddened, by what they saw and heard. And how ungrateful, a lot of these people were. When they were getting off the busses, they would say..Too little Too late!! They were given water, they wanted to know where the Soda, and beer was, that was there request. Some local deli's have been donating food. Well, that wasn't good enough either, they wanted fast food...McDonald's!! But, they made sure they got in the line for their Welfare checks. NO ONE, was in line for so many jobs that were offered. A lot of companies were there, they had many jobs for these people. But no one wanted a job!! They were rude to these members of the USCG, why I don't know. These Men and Women, were shocked, and saddened, then they were pissed. They threw up their hands and walked out!! I felt so bad for my son, when he and his friends were there to help them. He is still angry about this. He understands there problems. But do not take it out on others who are helping them. :eek:

DEPUTYDAWG
09-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Lil,

I find that quite disturbing. Quite. More power to the CG personnel for what they tried to do.

marrigotti
09-07-2005, 11:51 PM
I just have to tell you guys this information. I know you will be interested or maybe saddened, or for that matter mad!!
I know some of you know, as I have given this information before. My son is in the USCG, a crew member in the heli's, on the search and rescues. Well, some of the men and women went to the Astrodome, to help do what they could. They were shocked and saddened, by what they saw and heard. And how ungrateful, a lot of these people were. When they were getting off the busses, they would say..Too little Too late!! They were given water, they wanted to know where the Soda, and beer was, that was there request. Some local deli's have been donating food. Well, that wasn't good enough either, they wanted fast food...McDonald's!! But, they made sure they got in the line for their Welfare checks. NO ONE, was in line for so many jobs that were offered. A lot of companies were there, they had many jobs for these people. But no one wanted a job!! They were rude to these members of the USCG, why I don't know. These Men and Women, were shocked, and saddened, then they were pissed. They threw up their hands and walked out!! I felt so bad for my son, when he and his friends were there to help them. He is still angry about this. He understands there problems. But do not take it out on others who are helping them. :eek:

This is absolutely appalling. Thanks so much for bringing it to our attention. I am very sorry your son had such a horrible experience.

JBean
09-07-2005, 11:55 PM
I was afraid of hearing stories like this. makes me mad and sick all at the same time

Dara
09-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Maybe it'll help to hear from another (http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001054591) volunteer, then, to balance out the negative:

I took in everything for a few moments and then figured I was there to help, and the best way I could do that would be to connect with individual people somehow. So over and over I picked up flats of 24 water bottles and walked around and handed them out; many people were overjoyed by that one small thing. A few asked for food or clothes or blankets; there were apples and bananas available on the concourses, boxes of clothes being sorted by size at one end of the floor, and all blankets had been given out.

It was an amazing cross section of humanity...young, old, big, little, etc. Nearly all were black, and practically everyone appeared like they'd been through a war zone. Most seemed content with their lot at the moment; I saw no arguing or frustration...I think they were just glad to be inside and settled for a bit. About half were able to sleep amidst the chaos; the others were pretty quiet. Children were everywhere; I was amazed at their resilience...they seemed oblivious to the reality of things, and were just happy being kids. I gave out packs of gum I'd bought on the way to the Dome, and that made a few eyes light up. I told them to share. Some other sights which embedded themselves in my mind:

* The Bibles which I saw on several cots

* People sleeping and clutching their kids

* The number of people in wheel chairs

* A wooden leg with a shoe on it, detatched from its owner while they slept

* The instant smiles some people expressed when I handed them a COLD bottle of water

Jeana (DP)
09-08-2005, 09:26 AM
My daughter's school has a couple of children from the affected areas. She said they started there this week. Everyone has been very welcoming to them and hopefully they'll feel right at home in no time.