PDA

View Full Version : General Honore

tipper
09-03-2005, 02:54 PM
From what I saw on CNN he should have been appointed and on the scene last week. But - better late than never.

US News

`John Wayne` general hits New Orleans

Sep 3, 2005, 17:55 GMT http://images.monstersandcritics.com/main_site_images/printer.jpgprinter friendly (http://news.monstersandcritics.com/northamerica/printer_1045766.php) http://images.monstersandcritics.com/main_site_images/email.jpgemail this article http://images.monstersandcritics.com/main_site_images/xml.jpg (http://corp.monstersandcritics.com/article_3947.php) NEW ORLEANS, LA, United States (UPI) -- A Louisiana native with experience in floods has been put in charge of the Army`s Task Force (http://news.monstersandcritics.com/northamerica/article_1045766.php/%60John_Wayne%60_general_hits_New_Orleans#) Katrina, winning praise even from New Orleans` unhappy mayor.

Lt. Gen. Russel Honore is 'one John Wayne (http://news.monstersandcritics.com/northamerica/article_1045766.php/%60John_Wayne%60_general_hits_New_Orleans#) dude,' Mayor Ray Nagin said in an interview this week with radio station WWL.

Stars and Stripes reports that Honore, who hails from Lakeland, La., led the 2nd Infantry Division in Korea from 2000 to 2002, dealing with flooding at many bases every year during monsoon season and supervising the installation of flood control measures.

Nagin said that sending Honore was the one thing he could give President Bush credit for -- 'he came off the doggone chopper, and he started cussin` and people started movin`!'

CNN reported that Honore has also ordered National Guard troops and even police officers in New Orleans to keep their guns pointed down. The general told CNN that he is most concerned with getting food, water and other necessities to the thousands of people still trapped in the city.

'If you ever have 20,000 people come to supper, you know what I`m talking about,' he said. 'If it`s easy, it would have been done already.'

Copyright 2005 by United Press International

Mabel
09-03-2005, 02:57 PM
It's been estimated that there are still as many as 50,000 people still trapped in their attics or on rooftops. If help doesn't get to them very soon, it'll be too late. I'm sure for many it already is. CNN has hinted that the death toll could be into the tens of thousands. I wonder if it will fall to this general to organize their rescues. It sounds like he's someone who can get things done.

Mabel
09-03-2005, 03:05 PM
I just heard that they are now bringing in the former head of FEMA, James Witt. Maybe he, in addition to the cussing general, can finally make things happen.

tipper
09-03-2005, 03:09 PM
I just heard that they are now bringing in the former head of FEMA, James Witt. Maybe he, in addition to the cussing general, can finally make things happen.
Was Witt the one who said all FEMA/Homeland Security was interested in were drillls related to terrorism? That they stood in the back of the room and laughed and chatted while he presented his levee breaking/ LA flooded/people trapped scenario. Somebody in a recent interview said that...

Mabel
09-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Was Witt the one who said all FEMA/Homeland Security was interested in were drillls related to terrorism? That they stood in the back of the room and laughed and chatted while he presented his levee breaking/ LA flooded/people trapped scenario. Somebody in a recent interview said that...

It's likely. Witt was appointed by Clinton in 1992 and apparently fought an uphill battle the whole time he was with FEMA.

I've posted this link before, it's an article by Eric Holdeman, the director of the King County, Wash., Office of Emergency Management.

Bush team's dismantling of FEMA is a disaster (http://www.madison.com/tct/opinion//index.php?ntid=52563&ntpid=1)

An excerpt:

But it was Hurricane Andrew, which hit Florida in 1992, that really energized FEMA. The year after that catastrophic storm, President Bill Clinton appointed James Lee Witt to be director of the agency. Witt was the first professional emergency manager to run the agency. Showing a serious regard for the cost of natural disasters in both economic impact and lives lost or disrupted, Witt re-oriented FEMA from civil defense preparations to a focus on natural disaster preparedness and disaster mitigation. In an effort to reduce the repeated loss of property and lives every time a disaster struck, he started a disaster mitigation effort called "Project Impact." FEMA was elevated to a Cabinet-level agency, in recognition of its important responsibilities coordinating efforts across departmental and governmental lines.

Witt fought for federal funding to support the new program. At its height, only $20 million was allocated to the national effort, but it worked wonders. One of the best examples of the impact the program had here in the central Puget Sound area and in western Washington state was in protecting people at the time of the Nisqually earthquake on Feb. 28, 2001. Homes had been retrofitted for earthquakes, and schools were protected from high-impact structural hazards. Those involved with Project Impact thought it ironic that the day of that quake was also the day that the new president, George W. Bush, chose to announce that Project Impact would be discontinued.

The advent of the Bush administration in January 2001 signaled the beginning of the end for FEMA. The newly appointed leadership of the agency showed little interest in its work or in the missions pursued by Witt. Then came the Sept. 11 attacks and the creation of the Department of Homeland Security. Soon FEMA was being absorbed into the "homeland security borg."

T'sNana
09-03-2005, 10:46 PM
I was visualizing this General doing this and got a chuckle and also felt a little better for these victims. :clap:

tipper
09-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Heard on the radio... Apparently General Honore put out orders to shoot any alligator that gets in the way of rescuers. Some reporter pointed out that the alligators are on the endangered list. The general said if the alligators get between his men and their jobs they aren't endangered, they're dead!

DEPUTYDAWG
09-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Just bumping up, as I'm surprised no one posted about the telephone call with General H. on Fox this morning. I thought what he said was quite good. He tried to explain, not defend, why there were so many tactical problems at the local level at the beginning. Basically saying, if ya aren't there, you have no idea the obstacles emergency workers were facing. He may have own feelings as far as why it was/is such a mess, but said now is not the time to spend the energy on that. Bravo. Just go get 'er done, General!

concernedperson
09-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Heard on the radio... Apparently General Honore put out orders to shoot any alligator that gets in the way of rescuers. Some reporter pointed out that the alligators are on the endangered list. The general said if the alligators get between his men and their jobs they aren't endangered, they're dead!

One of my favorite quotes of all time.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-04-2005, 09:19 PM
One of my favorite quotes of all time.

I hadn't heard it until I read it here, and I love it!

bulletgirl2002
09-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Just bumping up, as I'm surprised no one posted about the telephone call with General H. on Fox this morning. I thought what he said was quite good. He tried to explain, not defend, why there were so many tactical problems at the local level at the beginning. Basically saying, if ya aren't there, you have no idea the obstacles emergency workers were facing. He may have own feelings as far as why it was/is such a mess, but said now is not the time to spend the energy on that. Bravo. Just go get 'er done, General!
They had to chain saw their way in from what I understand from people who are going down there and even the roads have been displaced from the violence of the storm.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-05-2005, 12:19 AM
Okay, just saw tonight's interview, Geraldo and Gen. Honore.

Where do I vote for him for some political office? I like him. Wait, he may be too good for political office!

ETA: I mean the General, not Geraldo ;)

DEPUTYDAWG
09-05-2005, 02:49 PM
You go, General! he's upset now on Fox...telling it like it is and saying a lot of the stories and criticisms are BS. His words...

Details
09-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Details, details, I want the details!

He sounds like a good man, the right person to get in there and make it happen.

concernedperson
09-05-2005, 02:57 PM
He also said all you smart business people get in here and make those phones work.....He was a little angry but authoritive . When he said the pressor was over it was over the FEMA boy and DHS dude were yapping at his tails to get out of there.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-05-2005, 02:59 PM
He also said all you smart business people get in here and make those phones work.....He was a little angry but authoritive . When he said the pressor was over it was over the FEMA boy and DHS dude were yapping at his tails to get out of there.

Yep, they did take his exit and ran with it as well,LOL

Little angry but authoritative works for me right now!!!

Details
09-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Anyone should be angry at what happened there. So many failures, at such a high cost. Not to mention finding all those thugs out there with no sense of humanity.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Details, details, I want the details!

He sounds like a good man, the right person to get in there and make it happen.

I missed the very first part, sorry. The part that caught my attention was when a reporter was asking him something about criticism heard from a political head (Senator? Not quite sure, someone else will correct me, I'm sure!) about how he was hearing that heli pilots were having a hard time with red tape, getting authorization to fly, etc. and I guess, causing delays.

He was NOT happy about that and said that is all BS, that this Senator (?) didn't know what he was talking about, he wasn't down there knowing what was happening, that they've got over 300 heli's down there and they're doing it well. He said they're getting criticism because they're receiving emails from people saying, "I'm here, come rescue me." He said they can't work like that. But, they need phones and better communcations down there.

Anyone else catch the rest?

kgeaux
09-05-2005, 05:01 PM
I missed the very first part, sorry. The part that caught my attention was when a reporter was asking him something about criticism heard from a political head (Senator? Not quite sure, someone else will correct me, I'm sure!) about how he was hearing that heli pilots were having a hard time with red tape, getting authorization to fly, etc. and I guess, causing delays.

He was NOT happy about that and said that is all BS, that this Senator (?) didn't know what he was talking about, he wasn't down there knowing what was happening, that they've got over 300 heli's down there and they're doing it well. He said they're getting criticism because they're receiving emails from people saying, "I'm here, come rescue me." He said they can't work like that. But, they need phones and better communcations down there.

Anyone else catch the rest?

Did he manage to mention how people who are in an area where all electricity is out and cell phone towers are down are managing to email him?

That's like the story Mr. Boudreaux told on Fox the other night--where his bosses mom called every night from the old folk's home asking if help was coming, and she drowned on Friday. How the heck did she call? There was NO phone service!!

Details
09-05-2005, 05:25 PM
I heard that there was some phone service. Some only in, some only out, intermittent, but there was some.

Likewise, I know several people have managed to continue communications with Blackberry devices (blackberries do email). That's where a lot of information came from at the start of the hurricane. I'm not sure if that means some cell phone towers remain, or what - but I think the news media was using them.

The police have communcation problems because their batteries died, and there was no way to recharge.

concernedperson
09-05-2005, 05:38 PM
I heard that there was some phone service. Some only in, some only out, intermittent, but there was some.

Likewise, I know several people have managed to continue communications with Blackberry devices (blackberries do email). That's where a lot of information came from at the start of the hurricane. I'm not sure if that means some cell phone towers remain, or what - but I think the news media was using them.

The police have communcation problems because their batteries died, and there was no way to recharge.

Early on the reporters were talking about limited use of cell phones but were in use at times to a degree.They then switched to satellite phones. Also was mentioned that some land lines were operable. Most were out though.

Dara
09-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Did he manage to mention how people who are in an area where all electricity is out and cell phone towers are down are managing to email him?

That's like the story Mr. Boudreaux told on Fox the other night--where his bosses mom called every night from the old folk's home asking if help was coming, and she drowned on Friday. How the heck did she call? There was NO phone service!!
Aaron Broussard. It wasn't his boss; it was the man running the emergency management building. That's the building Broussard was in. It's possible since the man is in emergency management, there was some form of communication. Don't facilities like nursing homes and hospitals sometimes have means of emergency communications?

Just asking.

concernedperson
09-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Aaron Broussard. It wasn't his boss; it was the man running the emergency management building. That's the building Broussard was in. It's possible since the man is in emergency management, there was some form of communication. Don't facilities like nursing homes and hospitals sometimes have means of emergency communications?

Just asking.

Yes. Certain emergency band radios. Particularly in Louisiana because of all the marine activity.( Not military but lots of ocean going and offshore rig activity)

Dara
09-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Yes. Certain emergency band radios. Particularly in Louisiana because of all the marine activity.( Not military but lots of ocean going and offshore rig activity)
Thanks, cp. I should have known I could count on you. So, since the woman was in a nursing home, and her son in an emergency response building, that might (MIGHT) explain the ability to communicate.

concernedperson
09-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Thanks, cp. I should have known I could count on you. So, since the woman was in a nursing home, and her son in an emergency response building, that might (MIGHT) explain the ability to communicate.

Yes, maam.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-05-2005, 06:21 PM

Are you saying all nursing homes in LA have these radios?

DEPUTYDAWG
09-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Ok, it was a Congressman who was complaining, not a Senator.

concernedperson
09-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Are you saying all nursing homes in LA have these radios?

Absolutely not. I am saying it is very possible that an emergency management official would be connected to his mom in a nursing home. And have set this up as soon as she was admitted. Just being an emergency management official and taking precautionary measures that he was allowed to do. Not knocking him at all but a lot of "special" relations go on in administration at all levels.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Absolutely not. I am saying it is very possible that an emergency management official would be connected to his mom in a nursing home. And have set this up as soon as she was admitted. Just being an emergency management official and taking precautionary measures that he was allowed to do. Not knocking him at all but a lot of "special" relations go on in administration at all levels.

Ok, thanks. I think a lot of the problem was the nursing homes weren't in communication, and I didn't want anyone reading that all had those radios. Yes, we do not know whether he had any special priveleges, that is true.