PDA

View Full Version : SOUND OFF! Say what's on your mind, but do not RESPOND TO what other posters write.

Beyond Belief
09-03-2005, 07:57 PM
This Space Is For Anyone Who Feels The Need To Sound Off About Hurricane Katrina, The How's, The Who's, The What's.

Please Do Not Use This Thread To Respond To Another Posters Thoughts. This Is Just An Opportunity To Get Those Pent Up Feelings Out. This Is A Good Release. Have Fun.

tybee204
09-03-2005, 07:58 PM
Do not use this thread to sound off about other posters.

Mabel
09-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Do not use this thread to sound off about other posters.

shucks. I had a few things about Cass that I really wanted to get off my chest. ;)

concernedperson
09-03-2005, 08:03 PM
OK. I am pissed. I think more could have been done early on and it wasn't. I don't like to hear of people dying before the tv cameras because of lack of water or food in the USA especially. Where there is great wealth and resources.My heart is broken for so many who have lost their lives that wasn't their fault. Because they were too POOR doesn't cut it with me when this country is so rich. And when they could have dropped water to the expressways where people were gathering. I saw this one WHITE man with swollen feet and eyes and he wasn't medivac either.

Casshew
09-03-2005, 08:03 PM
shucks. I had a few things about Cass that I really wanted to get off my chest. ;)
LOL :woohoo:

Beyond Belief
09-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Please follow the directions and DO NOT RESPOND to another's post. Allow people to speak their hearts and minds.

Only4Justice
09-03-2005, 08:40 PM
I sure hope & pray the American People do not forget the response of our government for a very long time. :mad:

It is absolutely unforgiveable that it took our government ALMOST 1 WEEK to get in there & help. That Mayor should never had to say the things he did and an SOS should not ever have had to be issued!

If we could impeach Clinton on his sexual behavior, why can't we do something about GWB before its too late! Isn't what he has done worse? :(

I don't want to offend any of my Websleuths friends, but I needed to get that off my chest!

In My Honest Opinion Only.

Prayers to all the victims of Hurricane Katrina ~ no mind to color, creed or income! :furious:

bulletgirl2002
09-03-2005, 08:43 PM
1. It pisses me off that this beautiful, wonderful city is gone.
2. that I won't be able to eat at Mother's or Cafe du Monde again or see that white alligator they had at the zoo.
3. that so many people died, lost their homes, possessions, loved ones
4. that thugs took advantage of the lack of le and hurt other people
5. that assistance wasn't staged to go in sooner
6. to hear the race card used....that is racist imo

Linda7NJ
09-03-2005, 08:44 PM
I sure hope & pray the American People do not forget the response of our government for a very long time. :mad:

It is absolutely unforgiveable that it took our government ALMOST 1 WEEK to get in there & help. That Mayor should never had to say the things he did and an SOS should not ever have had to be issued!

If we could impeach Clinton on his sexual behavior, why can't we do something about GWB before its too late! Isn't what he has done worse? :(

I don't want to offend any of my Websleuths friends, but I needed to get that off my chest!

Prayers to all the victims of Hurricane Katrina ~ no mind to color, creed or income! :furious:
I miss Bill Clinton, I'd take him today with all the Monica's he wanted in exchange for the twit we have now!

less0305
09-03-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm really mad that I didn't go to Mardi Gras last year like I talked about. Now I may never have the chance.

Beyond Belief
09-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Do Not Respond To The Post Of Others. Speak Your Mind, Not Theirs.

Don't Turn This Into A Debate Or Conversation.

Linda7NJ
09-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Do Not Respond To The Post Of Others. Speak Your Mind, Not Theirs.

Don't Turn This Into A Debate Or Conversation.
OK OK!! You sure are bossy!:D

I am just sickened by the entire thing, everything I have seen makes me sick! TOO MANY things for me to even begn to make my list!

I'll get back to post when there has been some time & distance and I can find the verbage

capps
09-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Let's all just think of ways to help ... and be angry later.

Only4Justice
09-03-2005, 09:07 PM
I miss Bill Clinton, I'd take him today with all the Monica's he wanted in exchange for the twit we have now!

Thank You, for agreeing with me on that point LOL

I was just reading on another board, and it changed my perspective somewhat (not about GWB).

Alot of people bear responsibility, not for the hurricane of course, but for its aftermath. Why didn't the city, county & state have exacuation plans in place? It wasn't all the responsibility of the federal government....

Did they honestly believe everyone in the entire city of New Orleans could leave on their own? What about the hospital patients, elderly, etc.?

They did have warning the hurricane was coming. If my memory serves me correctly, it was a Level 5 at one point right before hitting the coast!

Prayers to all the victims of Hurricane Katrina. Godspeed to All of You....

jaybird
09-03-2005, 09:10 PM
I hate this feeling of hopelessness. I want to do MORE than donate money. I want to hold and help and comfort those poor people. Our news here in Utah keeps saying that 1000 refugees are going to come here and we'll take care of them for as long as it takes, but still....it just seems like there's more to do.

And yet, I'm a financially challenged newlywed who cries when she sees pictures of the devastation and gets angry when she thinks about how long its taken for help to arrive.

Ok, I've said my piece. For now.

Gabby
09-03-2005, 09:11 PM
This tragedy could have been prevented... those levees have been a concern for years... maybe this will show others that "It can't happen to us" very well can and does....

Details
09-03-2005, 09:13 PM
I hate this feeling of hopelessness. I want to do MORE than donate money. I want to hold and help and comfort those poor people. Our news here in Utah keeps saying that 1000 refugees are going to come here and we'll take care of them for as long as it takes, but still....it just seems like there's more to do.

And yet, I'm a financially challenged newlywed who cries when she sees pictures of the devastation and gets angry when she thinks about how long its taken for help to arrive.

Ok, I've said my piece. For now.Well, it's my never ending refrain, but they need more than money, and it won't take more than an hour or so of your time. Go to the blood bank and donate blood. They need it.

And keep doing it, there's a chronic blood shortage - not enough people donate. It's a way of doing something great for charity that doesn't cost you any money.

I've donated somewhere between 5 and 10 gallons so far in my life, so if anyone has any questions or concerns about it, PM me or ask online. No question is stupid.

jaybird
09-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Great thinking on the blood donations. My husband does it all the time. I think we'll call and make an appointment now....

Beyond Belief
09-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Do Not Respond To Anothers Posts.

T'sNana
09-03-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm kind of hoping SOMEONE in public office reads what Americans (at least WS'rs) REALLY think about the performance (lack of, slowness) in this situation. Each minute, hour and DAY that passes in this devastation is horrendous. I saw Shepard Smith and Anderson Cooper and you could see the shock, horror and disbelief in their faces and the pain in their voices...Shepard Smith BEGGING for SOMEONE to come to the exit to help people who were dying, sick, without food, water, supplies (and had been from DAY ONE)! This was last night!! So many people have dropped the ball or waited for others and some of this appears to be the bureacracy!! That needs to change, IMO.

I saw Al Gore (somewhere) on Fox New just now and he looks awful. Man, I used to think he was attractive but he has really aged a lot lately....still not ugly to look at! : )

I even had to give credit to WHORALDO for the effort, although can't stand his reporting. At least he had a right, IMO, to be acting the way he was!

I heard about a guy who pulled up and shot someone right in front of people...I did not get all the story and don't want to guess, but it seemed they said police did it?

Regarding the thugs...I wish some of these good people (if they had the energy and were not ill) could get one of these thugs (or more) and let them know they aren't going to take it anymore!! Maybe they can keep that mentality to keep those thugs out from now on. I'm sickened by these people and I feel they are nothing more than rabid animals!

Okay...this is day 6 and I still have no clue why everyone (especially the ones VERY visible to the trucks driving by, the helicopters, etc.) have not been rescued???? They NEED communication and authority, even though it does seem to be getting better lately (dunno). I have heard over and over and over that the lack of communication seems to be the main problem and I think we had that problem with 9/11 as well. Ummm, that was FIVE YEARS ago...it's time to think of AMERICANS FIRST! It's time to LEARN by the PAST and IMPROVE this...should have been done already!

I'm rambling (as usual) and this is not very organized but it's my feelings.

NK57
09-03-2005, 09:31 PM
I am disgusted and disgraced by our government... from the top all the way to the bottom. I am sickened by all of them.

Nancy

Dara
09-03-2005, 09:33 PM
Yay for the media. They showed the world what was going on when the spokespeople were sugarcoating it or/and outright lying. They helped force the government to finally get some kind of action going. They're continuing to documenting what happened and asking the questions we should all be asking. They let the people who suffered and lost everything have a voice. I've just been reading articles and blogs and opinion pieces. Most people, including scientists and professors, know what a failure the response was, and the media is giving them a voice. Yay for the media.

JBean
09-03-2005, 09:37 PM
I just got off the phone with my sister. She has been in disaster relief for FEMA and the Red Cross forever.
She has been working at FEMA last week.
She said it was heart wrenching work.
But she also places blame squarely at the city and state level. She said rule of thumb for any city that she has ever been in charge of disaster is to be self sufficient for 72 hours, because it takes that long for federal help to arrive. She said there were 250 school buses that should have been evacuating citizens at the city level imediately before the hurricane struck. But now they just lay under flood waters completely useless.
She said the levy commission was severly lax in doing their jobs.She said she saw many things mishandled at the state and city level that could have made a big difference. FWIW. She said it was the job of the mayor and the governor to get be prepared for this inevitable disaster. but since New Orleans has dodged the bullet so many times, it just wasn't prepared.

Anngelique
09-03-2005, 09:55 PM
I am sick of people blaming people.
I am sick of people who are not showing compassion.
I am sick of the horrible people shooting people and taking advantage of a horrendous tragedy to loot non necessary items, raping people, etc.
I am sick of people saying it is the governments fault.
I am embarrassed by the actions of so many people in New Orleans.(the thugs)
I am so proud of so many people in New Orleans, (and other storm ravaged survivors)their courage and faith.
I am proud of many people in the US who are giving and showing compassion.
I am proud of the people who have put their lives in harms way to help people.
I pray we can rebuild and become stronger.

God bless the USA!

T'sNana
09-03-2005, 10:02 PM
I did not know this...but my husband said (and he's pretty smart and knows a lot more than I do) that the President does not have the authority to just send in help to a state or city. That FLOORED me! I think the Gov. of LA dropped the ball as well as others on down the line and I kept screaming and asking WHY ISN'T THE PRESIDENT DOING SOMETHING?!! Hubby said it has to be asked for from the Mayor to the Gov and then to the Pres. IMO, the Gov didn't have a clue. I mean, even if they didn't try to prevent it....there is no reason why they shouldn't have had help in a safe area (once they found out it was going to be this huge) so that they could move in immediately! Throughout history there are always those who stay during hurricanes (for various reasons) and that shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone. The hurricane must not have been considered that big of a problem if those patients were still in nursing homes and hospitals, IMO. Hopefully, from now on, people will decide to leave when they are recommended to do so. But, don't punish them by letting them die, starve, go without medication, be exposed to dead bodies floating around even 5 1/2 days later, exposure to infectious diseases, murder, rapes, etc., etc.!! JMO

Ntegrity
09-03-2005, 10:05 PM
I'm glad JBean and Anngelique posted. :)

Beyond Belief
09-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Please do not respond to anothers post.

Ntegrity
09-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Why not? Are you a moderator now? :)

Ntegrity
09-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Okay, okay, but I think you're awfully bossy. :razz:

Dara
09-03-2005, 10:18 PM
This (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/09/03/convention_center_evacuation_begins/) is just too sad:

Three babies died at the convention center from heat exhaustion, said Mark Kyle, a medical relief provider. And the guy running the show didn't even know they were there. Even though most of the rest of us did. Well, at least his boss thinks he did a good job, dead babies notwithstanding.

lilpony
09-03-2005, 10:26 PM
I love this country that I live in http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/14/14_1_100.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm414) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/14/14_1_102.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm414) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/14/14_1_104.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm414)

I am so sad to read so many posts that are blaming are President for what is happening. It is just making my blood boil!! People are blaming this President for everything. Its unbelieveable, and I can't believe what I am hearing and reading. I best not say anymore. And leave it at this. :(

On a lighter note....I am so proud of my 24yr old son, who is in the USCG, and is a crew member on the Search and Rescue Helicopters. He is stationed in Houston!! I love you Baby, be safe!! :)

T'sNana
09-03-2005, 10:32 PM
We have over-extended ourselves to too many other countries and need to take care of our own FIRST and then what's left...deal it out. In this day and age of technology, this was NOT handled appropriately at all levels...top to the bottom! JMO

LadyLuck
09-03-2005, 10:33 PM
I am so sad right now. I am upset that in America we have citizens living in such poverty that they can not get out of harms way. I am upset that a small percentage of the citizens are so out of control. I am thankful for all the people who rescued people from roof tops, hospitals, streets. I am thankful for Texas and their big hearts. I am thankful that the sun will come up tomorrow.

dakini
09-03-2005, 10:42 PM
I applaud the courage of all those enduring this tremendous suffering and making us all look at ourselves, as individuals, as citizens of a wealthy country, as human beings.

People are behaving heroically. People are behaving poorly. All are worthy of loving concern and response and being saved. Every human life has value.

There is tremendous opportunity in this situation to see the bigger picture, to include others in our concern.

For all the ways I speak unskillfully to others when feeling great anguish I am sincerely sorry and beg for your forbearance.

May great benefit be accomplished without obstacle for all who are affected by this tragedy, those directly involved and the traumatized witnesses.

T'sNana
09-03-2005, 10:44 PM
The things that made me smile or cry from joy was the guy who was pushing a shopping cart (they named him a sort of "Robin Hood") and was getting diapers and formula!! That guy is a hero! The people saving other's lives. The groups of people SHARING food and water and fighting off the thugs (I think they were in a hotel in NO). The people who volunteer and get only a full heart from helping others. The Red Cross. The Salvation Army. The many, many religious relief funds and ministries. Seeing the kids running and playing, even being precocious. Simple things we take for granted...people eating, talking with others and laughing or smiling, sleeping, etc. The outpouring of American citizens and companies helping...it's neverending. I'm very grateful for the media for showing us what is going on and the Freedom of Speech to talk about it and try to make changes so we hopefully never see this in American again.

tybee204
09-04-2005, 12:54 AM
Im so Proud to live in America where people care about one another and are willing to sacrifice for those in need. I went to a Hurricane Fund Raiser Party tonight where I know people scarificed next weeks budget to give everything they could to help those suffering. We are the most opinionated as well as the most giving.

Marthatex
09-04-2005, 01:11 AM
I am appalled by what happened. I was watching the news pre-hurricane, and I know there was plenty of warning time. I am disgusted by the inefficiency and incompetence of our government and "homeland security".

I think the hurricane has brought us messages - poverty is there; it has risen for 5 years now. Usually we don't see them, we forget about them. But now THEY ARE STARING AT US ON TV AND THEY ARE AMERICANS TOO.

We should be ashamed that we don't care more for and educate the poor. We should be ashamed of our priorities - "oh, let's go shopping......"

We should be ashamed that we don't care for the environment and sign on the Kyoto treaty.

We should be ashamed that we don't try to conserve gasoline; even driving slower on the highway helps.

We need to examine our values and our priorities.

So maybe the hurricane was a strange blessing in disguise. We'll see if we can learn.

Nore
09-04-2005, 01:51 AM

-------------------------
People in our city are talking about impeachment.They want it !!!!!!!!
------------
I am not responding to a post.I am having difficulty accessing self post with webtv..Thanks.

Marthatex
09-04-2005, 01:56 AM
Are they really talking about it Nore? Yesterday I wrote letters to two Senators asking for it or at least a strong reaction in Congress. I plan to write some more letters when I can.

We must join together an do something.

Magnum PI
09-04-2005, 02:16 AM
Nature has given us this chance to work with her, she has been very forgiving. I hope we don't blow it. We must think less, not more, and understand we are short term resident of this planet. We are not the landlord, we are the tenants and caretakers. We have advanced our technology to the point that all things are possible, but if we don't grasp the moment, we will decline as many other civilations have, only more quickly. In the words of Bucky Fuller "There is no energy crisis, the universe is full of energy, we simply have an engineering crisis." Great men and visionaries like Author C. Clark share this view. ..mpi

BirdieBoo
09-04-2005, 02:53 AM
We the people need to take our nation back from Big Oil.

WE THE PEOPLE.

The president isn't going to do help us with it. He is part of Big Oil. Great pals with the Saudis, when the 9/11 terrorists were from there. Speaking of disasters. And apparently could give a rats behind about the American people, if those particular American people don't fit in his agenda.

His plan to "spread freedom" apparently doesn't apply here in the US, with people locked in football stadiums like cattle to be raped, mudered and die from thirst, while armed thugs roam the streets terrorizing the citizens. Something about that reminds me of Nazi Germany. Of course, I really want no part of the kind of freedom he is spreading, if it's the kind he spread in Iraq, which took what little rights women had away from them.

Yeah, everyone who feels like it should just go ahead and bash Clinton, bash the Kennedys if it makes them feel better. Because that's all it does. It's not constructive, it just makes them feel better. And YOU deserve to feel better. We all do. But while you're feeling better, think of the death toll under Bush. Not just from the war, but right here at home. Dead babies don't help further the cause in Iraq, people locked in stadiums don't help either. Homeless families don't help. So why think about them? Because THEY are US. As in USA.

As for Bush, he's another story. It's time that WE THE PEOPLE did something about that. Actually the time was in November 2004, unfortunately it took a lot more death and mayhem right here at home for some people to think about it. Some people still don't. :(

txsvicki
09-04-2005, 04:57 AM
It makes me sick that the federal government did not step in and fix that levy long ago. People knew that it was dangerous and funding was cut. This could have been prevented. The government is allowing people to die and ignoring dangers all over the USA because of money. It also makes me sick and afraid to think that there was such chaos and no communication or quick response in such a disaster. Something could happen to any of us and we might be in the same shape as the people of New Orleans. I hope it isn't all just glossed over and that the environment and safety issues in this country become more important to everyone.

lorann
09-04-2005, 06:44 AM
Our country is putting their arms and hearts around these storm victims, not just the ones who had to be evacuated, but those who were able to get out and drive away. They too have nothing to go back to.

This storm has nothing to do with the oil crisis or the war in Iraq or ones politics. Those are all other battles to be addressed at another time, another place.

Perhaps our President assumed the governor was doing the proper things because he was aware of what was possible. Although he could not order the NG in, he should have been aware or made aware of the situation just like we were via the press. Tell me a phone call from the Pres wouldn't have gotten through or would have been refused!

LA let LA down, years ago. Below sea level - so each administration must take responsibility for the lack of repair/replacement. Now, alas, that is history and a lesson that costs many lives.

I feel so helpless but one thing I can do is take a look around my own area. We have people living near places where the water always rises, they are always having to be taken to shelters. So, although it won't help these victims, it may prevent having our own on a much smaller scale.

mysteriew
09-04-2005, 06:45 AM
I have a question that keeps running through my mind. We know they are talking about rebuilding NO. We know that NO will almost have to be built from the ground up.
Now my totally irreverent question- after rebuilding will they continue to call the city New Orleans? Or will it be New, New Orleans or even New Orleans 2?

Slapping may now commence.

Beyond Belief
09-04-2005, 07:29 AM
PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO ANOTHER'S POST. (even if they request to be slapped)

Miss Daisey
09-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Our first line of defense in any disaster is our state and local government. That's important to know and understand...today!!! before it happens.

It is true fact that the state of La (Gov Blanco) did not request federal assistance until Wednesday night in her personal call to Bush...and that was almost 24hrs after the levees broke...the water started rising and bodies were seen floating. IMO, this was where the horrible disaster became evident because the hurricane, as bad as it was, isn't what has caused this devastation in New Orleans. (buildings,homes, etc are not blown apart there like they are along the Gulf coast)

The Feds can not step over state governments with federal troops unless requested to do so....but it does seem like (someone) would have informed Gov Blanco of this fact a lot sooner. IMO, she dropped the ball...along with the mayor of NO. HE had hundreds of school buses as well as city buses that were available for use when he ordered a mandantory evacuation of the city last Sat and Sun. Those buses were underwater by Tues afternoon. They could have been used to evacuate the city housing projects where so many of the poor were/are the ones that have suffered so terribly.

However, those people needed to drive those hundreds of buses are also residences of New Orleans too...and no doubt were trying to get their families out too.

All most of us can do now is to be informed...learn what emergency measures are policy where you leave for getting citizens out of harms way and evacutation routes...careing for people in the wake of desaster that would render you and your loveones homeless.....and make as large a donation to the Red Cross as you possible can now !!!!!!!!

concernedperson
09-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Post hurricane I am having a hard time listening to Chertoff spouting untruth and condescending to reporters asking him questions. He is almost batting them away like flies. Does anyone know if he goes when Bush does? Can Brown go with him? His Arabian Horse Association job did not provide enough background for his FEMA job.

kgeaux
09-04-2005, 11:16 AM
It really makes me mad that the mayor of New Orleans had a completely inadequate plan for hurricane evacuation. Passing the buck and blaming everyone else for his problems, sounded like welfare mentality to me.

It infuriates me that my governor, having arranged for supplies and help, hesitated instead of sending these men, and tons of water and food into the city. It makes me even madder that she hesitated asking for help. And now it's everyones fault but hers. More welfare mentality.She let us down and needs to step up to the bat. (She's doing better now, got a wonderful ex-FEMA guy in charge)

It enrages me that FEMA is now under homeland security and that has bound up fema instead of freeing them up to help.

I am pissed off that some of the evacuees are causing problems in my town. We are here helping and they are stealing from us. Bad!

I am really having a hard time feeling friendly toward the lady who was interviewed on TV yesterday, screeching that she'd been given an MRE to eat and that "wasn't no hot meal. I want a hot meal." Her lack of gratefulness for help is appalling.

Casshew
09-04-2005, 11:16 AM
I am worried how the images from New Orleans will effect racism in the world.

Just yesterday I was out doing some errands and I noticed a familiy (African American) pushing a shopping cart overflowing with stuff and the first thing that came to my mind was those images of looting in New Orleans - but this family was just shopping!

:slap: <--- me

Also, before this hurricane if you had asked me would I open my home to hurricane victims who lost everything - I am sure I would have said 'of course'

Now that has changed and I am hesitant and would want to know WAY more about who I would be hosting in my home for 6 months+++ before I would consider it.

This is really sad for me to be admitting these feelings I am having, please don't flame me - it's just what is going through my head right now. Those looting images and stories of violence have really effected how I feel.

nanandjim
09-04-2005, 11:17 AM
:laugh:Do not use this thread to sound off about other posters.
Shucks...Just when I thought that it was going to get good...:D

nanandjim
09-04-2005, 11:22 AM
There is plenty of blame to go around. Unfortunately, what is done is done. My hope is that they now have a better plan in place to clean up, rebuild and do everything possible to keep this tragedy from occurring again in the future.

I also hope that the looters, to include the three female police officers, are held accountable for their actions.

P.S. For those that need clarification, I am not referring to the looters who were only taking the necessities of life. Their actions are understandable. :)

kgeaux
09-04-2005, 11:36 AM
I forgot: Don't blame all this crap on the oil companies. None of us would be able to use our vehicles today, warm our homes this winter, pave our roads, etc. without those companies. And oil companies are made up of PEOPLE like my husband who work in unbelievable conditions, for hours days and weeks at a time to drill and pump that oil up out of the ground for you. It's not all "big company" it's "little people" too.

Big oil is not perfect. NO big industry is. NONE!

JBean
09-04-2005, 12:12 PM
get your own survival plan with supplies that are appropriate to whatever disaster you are prone to in your area.
All the city, state, and federal help in the world won't do a thing for you if you haven't take steps to preserve your own family for as long as it takes to receive the help. BE PREPARED. It must start from the bottom up. Find out what your city offers in case of disaster in your area. Know what is and isn't available.

Beyond Belief
09-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Florida's slogan is be prepared, not scared.

Anngelique
09-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Our church has been telling its members for years to get a 2 year food and water supply, and have money in savings. This is in case you lose a job and need to rely on it or have a natural disaster such as this. They teach us to be as self sufficient as possible. On top of that we all have 72 hour emergency kits. In here we have everything we need to live for 3 days. Most of it is in backpacks and can be put on our back at a moment's notice. Some people carry them in their cars. But anyway, if any of you are interested in getting started I am sure you can google the information or find a LDS person you know who would be glad to help you get started. Just like with our family history centers we will not bug you about religion, but are always glad to help. I went through our 72 hour kits and they need refreshing. My son who is now 6'3" has way outgrown his clothes. :D

Olivia77
09-04-2005, 03:33 PM
I wish I could go down there and help, I WANT to go down there and help.

I am sick of feeling trapped with the feeling that there's nothing I can do to help and feeling guilty that I can make a hot cup of soup when there are babies crying for milk and juice.

I wish my stupid veins weren't so tiny that I was prohibited from giving blood.

Cypros
09-04-2005, 03:36 PM
I wish I could go down there and help, I WANT to go down there and help.

I am sick of feeling trapped with the feeling that there's nothing I can do to help and feeling guilty that I can make a hot cup of soup when there are babies crying for milk and juice.

I wish my stupid veins weren't so tiny that I was prohibited from giving blood.

I know how you feel. Had this happened in August I would have gone down there as I was just putzing around my house all month, but the hurricane coincided with the beginning of classes and I can't jut up and leave when I have to teach. It is frustrating to just watch.

concernedperson
09-04-2005, 04:23 PM
I know how you feel. Had this happened in August I would have gone down there as I was just putzing around my house all month, but the hurricane coincided with the beginning of classes and I can't jut up and leave when I have to teach. It is frustrating to just watch.

My daughter and her friends left today with a Uhaul filled with supplies and will stop in Montgomery,Al to pick up more. They are heading to Baton Rouge for distribution as that is the largest concentration of refugees outside of Houston.

She and I wiill return in October after things are more settled down and we can see where help is needed the most.

Mabel
09-04-2005, 05:05 PM
My turn to spout:

I'm frustrated with people who believe we have no right to question where or how our government failed in this situation. It's a fact that someone dropped the ball on some level, perhaps on more than one level. The president is not God. He's a human just like the rest of us. He is NOT infallible. If I question his actions, or lack of, I am not committing blasphemy. 'We the people' are supposed to ask questions. Remember, It's our government, paid for out of our pockets. They work for us.

The constitution was set up with a system of checks and balances. The ultimate "check" is us. It's our responsibility as Americans to monitor what our government is doing. Blind faith has it's place, but it is not in government. It seems that some would prefer a system like what we're fighting in Iraq, we could simply shoot everyone who dares speak out against our leader.

From the Declaration of Independence:

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Cypros
09-04-2005, 05:11 PM
My daughter and her friends left today with a Uhaul filled with supplies and will stop in Montgomery,Al to pick up more. They are heading to Baton Rouge for distribution as that is the largest concentration of refugees outside of Houston.

She and I wiill return in October after things are more settled down and we can see where help is needed the most.

How wonderful of you and your daughter! I have two big boxes of clothes and can surely scrounge up more to donate, but I am in PA and have not yet heard of any place where they are collecting donations -- just money. I am sure it will happen once the initial rescue and relocation is over.

concernedperson
09-04-2005, 05:16 PM
How wonderful of you and your daughter! I have two big boxes of clothes and can surely scrounge up more to donate, but I am in PA and have not yet heard of any place where they are collecting donations -- just money. I am sure it will happen once the initial rescue and relocation is over.

We will know more in the weeks ahead. Atlanta has tons of listings for shelters and charities taking in refugees. I don't know how many are here yet but they are arriving frequently at Dobbins AFB. Dozens of hospitals are taking in the injured and ill. You might want to contact one of the agencies and see if trucks are in the Pa. area headed south.

TexMex
09-04-2005, 05:21 PM
IMO Gov Blanco bears much blame (if that's what we've come to now)

LA state officials sought to 'maintain their independence from federal takeover' by ignoring President Bush's legal pleas and proposals to start the ball rolling for federal assistance on FRIDAY, BEFORE the storm. President Bush was trying desperately to get Blanco's attention; trying to warn her that huge devastation was on the way, and yet Blanco and her "advisors' thought it was a political ploy by the administration to grab power.

Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said.

"The federal government stands ready to work with state and local officials to secure New Orleans and the state of Louisiana," White House spokesman Dan Bartlett said. "The president will not let any form of bureaucracy get in the way of protecting the citizens of Louisiana."

The fact that even now, Governor Blanco continues to stubbornly cling to power, resisting the federal takeover of the evacuation, proves that 1) she's had the power -- and hence, the authority and responsibility to use it -- all along, and

2) Even though a shift to federal authority would probably be the best thing for all of the affected victims, Blanco -- is more interested in playing political games and covering her own sorry behind than she is in doing the right thing to help her state.

Dara
09-04-2005, 05:37 PM
I know we've become somewhat accustomed to soundbites and snippets, but I hope that as Aaron Broussard becomes one of the more memorable faces of this tragedy and his expression grief and frustration is played over and over, the rest of what he said isn't forgotten. I just reread a transcript (http://www.bayoubuzz.com/articles.aspx?aid=4911) of the entire interview with Tim Russert and Broussard said a few things I think must be heeded:

I am personally asking our bipartisan congressional delegation here in Louisiana to immediately begin congressional hearings to find out just what happened here. Why did it happen? Who needs to be fired? And believe me, they need to be fired right away, because we still have weeks to go in this tragedy. We have months to go. We have years to go. And whoever is at the top of thistotem pole, that totem pole needs to be chain-sawed off and we´ve got to start with some new leadership.

Maral
09-04-2005, 05:46 PM

As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said.

That is not quite true. On the State of Louisiana website you can find this letter (http://gov.louisiana.gov/Disaster%20Relief%20Request.pdf) that Gov. Blanco sent to President Bush on August 28th. That was last Sunday, the day before the hurricanes's landfall.

Miss Daisey
09-04-2005, 05:50 PM

LA state officials sought to 'maintain their independence from federal takeover' by ignoring President Bush's legal pleas and proposals to start the ball rolling for federal assistance on FRIDAY, BEFORE the storm. President Bush was trying desperately to get Blanco's attention; trying to warn her that huge devastation was on the way, and yet Blanco and her "advisors' thought it was a political ploy by the administration to grab power.

Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said.

"The federal government stands ready to work with state and local officials to secure New Orleans and the state of Louisiana," White House spokesman Dan Bartlett said. "The president will not let any form of bureaucracy get in the way of protecting the citizens of Louisiana."

The fact that even now, Governor Blanco continues to stubbornly cling to power, resisting the federal takeover of the evacuation, proves that 1) she's had the power -- and hence, the authority and responsibility to use it -- all along, and

2) Even though a shift to federal authority would probably be the best thing for all of the affected victims, Blanco -- is more interested in playing political games and covering her own sorry behind than she is in doing the right thing to help her state.
This is exactly right, TexMex. Mississippi and Alabama Governors are stepping way back from any comments or criticisisms of Gov Blanco but you can see that their leadership has gotten the ball rolling in their states because they knew exactly what to do and when to do it.

Cypros
09-04-2005, 05:52 PM
That is not quite true. On the State of Louisiana website you can find this letter (http://gov.louisiana.gov/Disaster%20Relief%20Request.pdf) that Gov. Blanco sent to President Bush on August 28th. That was last Sunday, the day before the hurricanes's landfall.

Can't quite claim that the governor didn't give a heads up or ask for federal assistance.

What's the next excuse?

TexMex
09-04-2005, 06:01 PM
so this is NOT the don't respond to other posters thread??

Cypros
09-04-2005, 06:05 PM
Ooops! I keep forgetting that I am on this thread. I will try to pay more attention. It is not intentional.

TexMex
09-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Ooops! I keep forgetting that I am on this thread. I will try to pay more attention. It is not intentional.

:cool:

Miss Daisey
09-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Sorry

Only4Justice
09-04-2005, 07:17 PM
My turn to spout:

I'm frustrated with people who believe we have no right to question where or how our government failed in this situation. It's a fact that someone dropped the ball on some level, perhaps on more than one level. The president is not God. He's a human just like the rest of us. He is NOT infallible. If I question his actions, or lack of, I am not committing blasphemy. 'We the people' are supposed to ask questions. Remember, It's our government, paid for out of our pockets. They work for us.

The constitution was set up with a system of checks and balances. The ultimate "check" is us. It's our responsibility as Americans to monitor what our government is doing. Blind faith has it's place, but it is not in government. It seems that some would prefer a system like what we're fighting in Iraq, we could simply shoot everyone who dares speak out against our leader.

From the Declaration of Independence:

Not Really A Response :) BUT :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: WELL SAID!!!!

In My Honest Opinion.

less0305
09-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Can't quite claim that the governor didn't give a heads up or ask for federal assistance.

What's the next excuse?

She asked for emergency assistance by way of funds. She asked on SUNDAY - one day before the hurricane hit. No where in that letter did she ask for additional National Guard troops. No where. She didn't ask for the troops.

mysteriew
09-04-2005, 07:42 PM
A random thought keeps popping into my head. Yes, the hurricane hit several states and there was a lot of damage over a large area. Yes, the levee broke in NO and the damage was massive. But the breakdown of the emergency plan in NO was also massive. We are paying a lot of attention to the Gulf States- I think more because of the breakdown of the disaster plan than anything.
But the Gulf states are not the only ones who have been hit with catastropic disasters. Think of the California fires.
The Gulf states are not the only one ever hit with a catastrophic hurricane. Fla. has been hit with at least one every year for a while. Sometimes they get hit with multiple hurricanes in one year. Yet with all of the damage, and the destruction- you don't have the system breakdowns. You don't have the loss of lives. You don't have the people fighting the rescuers.
A few years back there was a hurricane that hit in Fla. and moved right on up the east coastline with massive damages to multiple states. Again massive destruction, but not the loss of lives, no system breakdowns, no people fighting rescuers.
So what makes NO different? Yes even with the best of planning- with the flood there would have been a lot of lives lost. But not to the extent that I think we are going to find in NO.
If I were Louisiana in the future to come - I would be looking to hire some emergency specialists from the Fla. area. And I would be listening to them.
And I would be looking into some plan to get the lawlessness under control.

Mabel
09-04-2005, 07:51 PM

Bush will not let any form of bureaucracy get in the way of protecting the citizens........yet didn't send help in time because the Governer reportedly didn't ask in the proper way.

Okay

kgeaux
09-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Bush will not let any form of bureaucracy get in the way of protecting the citizens........yet didn't send help in time because the Governer reportedly didn't ask in the proper way.

Okay

I may phrase this wrong, but there is a separation of state and federal powers. He needed to be asked. It's a RULE, a LAW, something. The federal government cannot move in and take over state responsibilities without an invitation. The invitation was not issued. You can blame Bush all day long, but he responded immediately when our governor finally, finally realized she was in over her political head, and her constituents were in over their heads in water.

The federal response has been phenomenal. Wonderful. Had they been there on day one, what a difference it would have made.

Dara
09-04-2005, 08:21 PM
I may phrase this wrong, but there is a separation of state and federal powers. He needed to be asked. It's a RULE, a LAW, something. The federal government cannot move in and take over state responsibilities without an invitation. The invitation was not issued. You can blame Bush all day long, but he responded immediately when our governor finally, finally realized she was in over her political head, and her constituents were in over their heads in water.

The federal response has been phenomenal. Wonderful. Had they been there on day one, what a difference it would have made. So, let me get this straight. Bush had no power to send in troops or take over in any way. It was all up to the governor? He had absolutely no recourse at all? He was, in effect, sitting horrified with the rest of us (except for Michael Brown, who didn't know), watching people die and knowing that people were being raped and beated and that rescue efforts were halted because of shooting. He could do nothing. Right?

Edit: Oops, I didn't realize this was the "Sound Off" thread because I was responding to a poster who was responding to a different poster. I can delete, but I really want to know the answer. Please can I leave my post?

JBean
09-04-2005, 08:24 PM
I wish the governor had signed a disaster declaration sooner.

concernedperson
09-04-2005, 08:24 PM

The federal response has been phenomenal. Wonderful. Had they been there on day one, what a difference it would have made.

I agree that Kathleen was paralized and over her head but FEMA Michael Brown didn't even know about the convention center and we knew it all day. That is not good response from those we entrusted to carry on and protect us. Remember no water was thrown from the helicopters on the expressway nor the convention center until Friday.Days after the flooding occured, not happy with the fed either. We are grasping at straws.

Dara
09-04-2005, 08:35 PM
I am sounding off at myself for still not understanding whether or not the governor of LA did what she should have done wrt declaring a disaster. I've read that she declared a state of emergency last Friday (this article (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/26/tropical.weather/) is dated August 26th):

In anticipation of a possible landfall, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco declared states of emergency Friday. And the White House issued this statement (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/08/20050828-1.html) on August 28th:

Yesterday, I signed a disaster declaration for the state of Louisiana, and this morning I signed a disaster declaration for the state of Mississippi. These declarations will allow federal agencies to coordinate all disaster relief efforts with state and local officials. We will do everything in our power to help the people in the communities affected by this storm. So, as of August 27th, Bush had signed a disaster declaration that would "allow federal agencies to coordinate all disaster relief efforts with state and local officials" and he said "we," which I assume means the federal government, would do "everything in [their] power to help the people in the communities affected by this storm."

So...that still didn't give the president enough power and only the governor could request troops? I keep looking to confirm this, but I can't find anything to explain it clearly and definitively.

Melissa Marshall
09-04-2005, 08:43 PM
I am SO SICK and tired of people blaming The President over this tragedy. That is the most rediculous thing I have heard. I am so sick of people turning this into race. HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE. I am sick of other countries *****ing because their people were not saved fast enough. Uh hello there were alot of people not saved. What were we suppose to do say "go find the tourists and leave the others behind???" It really pisses me off that there are people here who are acting like savages by raping, shooting and murdering people. I would not help them either. I am sick and tired of watching the Mayor of NO say that he called everyone and they just didn't bother to show up. Yeah and while he sat safe and sound his people were dying. I find it hard to believe this mans calls were unanswered. He is like the Mayor he should have stayed and made sure his people were ok and taken care of. I am very proud of the efforts President Bush has set in motion to get this tragedy taken care of. Now remember, because it seems that some people are having a hard time following the rules, This is a no respond thread! :D

kgeaux
09-04-2005, 09:17 PM
So, let me get this straight. Bush had no power to send in troops or take over in any way. It was all up to the governor? He had absolutely no recourse at all? He was, in effect, sitting horrified with the rest of us (except for Michael Brown, who didn't know), watching people die and knowing that people were being raped and beated and that rescue efforts were halted because of shooting. He could do nothing. Right?

Edit: Oops, I didn't realize this was the "Sound Off" thread because I was responding to a poster who was responding to a different poster. I can delete, but I really want to know the answer. Please can I leave my post?

I'm sorry, I'm responding again. I think we've lost sight of the purpose of the thread, but oh, well! Word going around Lafayette is that Bush gave Blanco TWO ultimatums before she issued the request for federal oversight. Asking for supplies and asking for oversight are apparently two different things. I am going to state now that I have no link to support the 2 ultimatim claim. But that talk is ALL over Lafayette.

Does politics play a role in this? Blanco is a Democrat and Bush is Republican, and I don't know.

Dara
09-04-2005, 09:21 PM
I'm sorry, I'm responding again. I think we've lost sight of the purpose of the thread, but oh, well! Word going around Lafayette is that Bush gave Blanco TWO ultimatums before she issued the request for federal oversight. Asking for supplies and asking for oversight are apparently two different things. I am going to state now that I have no link to support the 2 ultimatim claim. But that talk is ALL over Lafayette.

Does politics play a role in this? Blanco is a Democrat and Bush is Republican, and I don't know.
It's my fault you're responding, so I'll thank you and thwack myself. :doh:

Thanks for the insight. Because this is the no response thread, I brought some info about this into the general "updates" thread. There's a Yahoo article that has some info there. I'm just trying and trying to unravel it all (shyeah, like I can do it when it's a huge mess). Ok, that's my response to your response to my response to your response. I'm done, but I'd love to discuss this in the other thread whenever you have time/patience/energy/inclination!

TisHerself
09-04-2005, 09:36 PM
I hope that everyone is now out of New Orleans, that everyone who needs medical help is getting it. They are all for now at least, in a safe, warm and clean place, I am praying that for anyone who has someone missing they find them soon. I hope it will not be too long before they can find places for these families to live. Most of all I pray that God gives them the strength to accept the lose of their homes, their lives as they knew it, and in some cases their families. I could never in my wildest dreams even begin to imagine the devastation and heartbreak that the people of the Whole Gulf Coast have suffered. My deepest respect and admiration goes out to the rescue workers, to the nurses and doctors who were giving each other IV's just so they could keep ministering to patients. To as one poster mentioned, residents who were helping other residents, those are the Hero's.
JMHO What happened here was a Horrific human disater that touched all of us and I know affected me deeply. Whatever structural or governmental improvement that could have prevented the magnitude of the end result, Blaming President Bush and with such anger is quite simply Pathetic.

TexMex
09-04-2005, 09:46 PM
I agree that Kathleen was paralized and over her head but FEMA Michael Brown didn't even know about the convention center and we knew it all day. That is not good response from those we entrusted to carry on and protect us. Remember no water was thrown from the helicopters on the expressway nor the convention center until Friday.Days after the flooding occured, not happy with the fed either. We are grasping at straws.

Police Chief: 'Urban Warfare' Slowed New Orleans Rescue

New Orleans Police Chief Edwin Compass said Friday that hurricane rescue efforts were hampered when relief workers came under attack by the city's criminal element, prompting conditions that resembled "urban warfare."

"We have never had an urban warfare battle like this on any front in the history of our nation," Compass told NBC's "Dateline."

Story Continues Below

"You're fighting in buildings that are pitch black with darkness. These individuals have root - the criminal element have looted all the gun shops and gun stores in this city, so they're armed, they're dangerous."
Federal Emergency Management Agency Chief Michael Brown, under fire for his agency's slow response, echoed Chief Compass's complaint, telling CNN: "We are working under conditions of urban warfare."

NYTimes:

Opportunistic thieves cleaned out abandoned stores for a second night. Officials said that in one incident a police officer had been critically wounded by gunfire. "These are not individuals looting," Ebbert said. "These are large groups of armed individuals

bulletgirl2002
09-04-2005, 09:48 PM

I heard he gave her an ultimatum too and is plenty pissed at her. I didn't post this because it was a rumour. oops BB I broke the rules... :p

TexMex
09-04-2005, 09:51 PM

It is against the law for any President to order troops into a city or across state lines without a request and permission from the Governor of that state.

John Armor, a First Amendment lawyer: "Federal law prevents the President from sending in the National Guard until the Governor gives the order. It is little known, but the Commanding General of the National Guard in every state reports to the Governor, not the President, until the Governor says otherwise.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-04-2005, 09:52 PM
It is against the law for any President to order troops into a city or across state lines without a request and permission from the Governor of that state.

John Armor, a First Amendment lawyer: "Federal law prevents the President from sending in the National Guard until the Governor gives the order. It is little known, but the Commanding General of the National Guard in every state reports to the Governor, not the President, until the Governor says otherwise.

I have to say I have been learning a lot through this ordeal.

Thanks for the info....

less0305
09-04-2005, 09:53 PM

Thank you Tex.... I've been screaming this for days!!!

That is how our government system is set up. The Constitution! If the President did whatever he pleased with states....we wouldn't have a state system. We'd have a dictatorship!!! We live in the United STATES of America.

Dara
09-04-2005, 09:59 PM
So, Blanco apparently requested some National Guardsmen (New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson offered Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco help from his state's National Guard last Sunday, the day before Hurricane Katrina hit Louisiana. Blanco accepted, but paperwork needed to get the troops en route didn't come from Washington until late Thursday)

and some were there but playing cards instead of saving lives (under orders, I am sure), but we're to believe she didn't ask at all?

People are screaming a LOT of conflicting information. Some of the loudest aren't necessarily the most accurate.

In a federal emergency, I wonder if the president still can't send in troops. I keep seeing claims but haven't seen proof.

less0305
09-04-2005, 10:02 PM
The President can send them in for emergencies relating to an attack on our country - I can't think of the correct term. He can martial the National Guard if it is a matter of National security from an outside source. It's all clearly written in the Constitution and amendments. I'm just not saying it correctly.

IFFFFF, I remember my history and civics lessons correctly. I will stand to be corrected tho - it was a long time ago when I took history and civics.

TexMex
09-04-2005, 10:02 PM

Politics in this sense kgeaux

Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency.

The fact that even now, Governor Blanco continues to stubbornly cling to power, resisting the federal takeover of the evacuation, proves that

1) she's had the power -- and hence, the authority and responsibility to use it -- all along, and

2) Even though a shift to federal authority would probably be the best thing for all of the affected victims, Blanco -- is more interested in playing political games and covering her own behind than she is in doing the right thing to help her state.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-04-2005, 10:05 PM
I guess it isn't a surprise, but I'm frustrated to see how political this has become, on both sides.... neither side is innocent, IMO.

Dara
09-04-2005, 10:17 PM
You know, I almost hope Bush tries to use some of the excuses I've read here. I really do.

Nail, meet coffin.

(it's a metaphor, btw)

kgeaux
09-04-2005, 10:18 PM

Thank you so much for clearing that up! That is what I am trying to say, but you've got it so much clearer and more official!

Thank you Tex.... I've been screaming this for days!!!

That is how our government system is set up. The Constitution! If the President did whatever he pleased with states....we wouldn't have a state system. We'd have a dictatorship!!! We live in the United STATES of America.

Yep. You're right!

So, Blanco apparently requested some National Guardsmen (New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson offered Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco help from his state's National Guard last Sunday, the day before Hurricane Katrina hit Louisiana. Blanco accepted, but paperwork needed to get the troops en route didn't come from Washington until late Thursday)

and some were there but playing cards instead of saving lives (under orders, I am sure), but we're to believe she didn't ask at all?

People are screaming a LOT of conflicting information. Some of the loudest aren't necessarily the most accurate.

In a federal emergency, I wonder if the president still can't send in troops. I keep seeing claims but haven't seen proof.

Blanco and Richardson: Democrats. Bush: Republican. It is looking more and more to me like either partisan politics or monumental ineptitude.

Politics in this sense kgeaux

Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency.

The fact that even now, Governor Blanco continues to stubbornly cling to power, resisting the federal takeover of the evacuation, proves that

1) she's had the power -- and hence, the authority and responsibility to use it -- all along, and

2) Even though a shift to federal authority would probably be the best thing for all of the affected victims, Blanco -- is more interested in playing political games and covering her own behind than she is in doing the right thing to help her state.

This is exactly what is being bandied about town. Do you happen to have a link? Our news agencies over here are not exactly known for bucking the system. I learned more from Bill O'Reilly interviews the other day than I've learned from my local news.

TexMex
09-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Sunday, August 28, 2005;| CNN's David Mattingly, Susan Candiotti, Jacqui Jeras and Rob Marciano contributed to this report.

Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco said that it was President Bush that had called and urged the state to order the evacuation.
New Orleans orders evacuation ahead of Hurricane Katrina's winds of nearly 175 mph.

Sunday, August 28, 2005: CNN

Federal Emergency Management Agency teams and other emergency teams were in place to move in as soon as the storm was over, FEMA Undersecretary Michael Brown said.

Associated Press August 28

Mandatory evacuation ordered for New Orleans
8/28/2005, 10:48 a.m. CT
The Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — In the face of a catastrophic Hurricane Katrina, a mandatory evacuation was ordered Sunday for New Orleans by Mayor Ray Nagin.

Acknowledging that large numbers of people, many of them stranded tourists, would be unable to leave, the city set up 10 places of last resort for people to go, including the Superdome.

The mayor called the order unprecedented and said anyone who could leave the city should. He exempted hotels from the evacuation order because airlines had already cancelled all flights.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco, standing beside the mayor at a news conference, said President Bush :eek: called and personally appealed for a mandatory evacuation for the low-lying city, which is prone to flooding.

kgeaux
09-04-2005, 10:22 PM
B]Gov. Kathleen Blanco, standing beside the mayor at a news conference, said President Bush called and personally appealed for a mandatory evacuation for the low-lying city, which is prone to flooding.[B]

There you go. There you go. He did try, he tried.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Sunday, August 28, 2005;| CNN's David Mattingly, Susan Candiotti, Jacqui Jeras and Rob Marciano contributed to this report.

Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco said that it was President Bush that had called and urged the state to order the evacuation.
New Orleans orders evacuation ahead of Hurricane Katrina's winds of nearly 175 mph.

Sunday, August 28, 2005: CNN

Federal Emergency Management Agency teams and other emergency teams were in place to move in as soon as the storm was over, FEMA Undersecretary Michael Brown said.

Associated Press August 28

Mandatory evacuation ordered for New Orleans
8/28/2005, 10:48 a.m. CT
The Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — In the face of a catastrophic Hurricane Katrina, a mandatory evacuation was ordered Sunday for New Orleans by Mayor Ray Nagin.

Acknowledging that large numbers of people, many of them stranded tourists, would be unable to leave, the city set up 10 places of last resort for people to go, including the Superdome.

The mayor called the order unprecedented and said anyone who could leave the city should. He exempted hotels from the evacuation order because airlines had already cancelled all flights.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco, standing beside the mayor at a news conference, said President Bush :eek: called and personally appealed for a mandatory evacuation for the low-lying city, which is prone to flooding.

Wow....hmmm. That seems pretty clear.

As I'm a cynic when it comes to some things I read, LOL, I want to hear what the mixup is about the Gov saying she sent the request for aid to Washington on Sunday (I think), but the paperwork didn't come back from D.C. until Wednesday. There's got to be a lot of detail in that story, and I'm sure more will come out later, as time goes by.

bulletgirl2002
09-04-2005, 10:35 PM
Wow....hmmm. That seems pretty clear.

As I'm a cynic when it comes to some things I read, LOL, I want to hear what the mixup is about the Gov saying she sent the request for aid to Washington on Sunday (I think), but the paperwork didn't come back from D.C. until Wednesday. There's got to be a lot of detail in that story, and I'm sure more will come out later, as time goes by.

Hell the feds requested Friday to take over and the bi*** said no.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Hell the feds requested Friday to take over and the bi*** said no.

Yeah, it's not going to be so good for the Gov, I don't believe. Where's she been the last 1-2 days, anyways? I think she's keeping a low media profile. Not saying that's good or bad, but wonder what she's been doing....

kgeaux
09-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Yeah, it's not going to be so good for the Gov, I don't believe. Where's she been the last 1-2 days, anyways? I think she's keeping a low media profile. Not saying that's good or bad, but wonder what she's been doing....

VERY low profile. Almost invisible.

TexMex
09-04-2005, 11:12 PM
And Bush is going back down there tomorrow.

Where's Blanco???

DEPUTYDAWG
09-04-2005, 11:21 PM
And Bush is going back down there tomorrow.

Where's Blanco???

But Tex, you know Bush is going to be criticized for going...or not going. He can't win either way.

And Blanco - I hope LA has a strong Lt. Governor....I'm serious.

Beyond Belief
09-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Please do not respond to others posts or hold private conversations on this thread.

To those of you who don't know where you are...the creation of this thread was to establish a place people could express themself freely without being challenged by other posters.

shopgirlnw
09-05-2005, 03:00 AM
and so sad at the same time! Yesterday on Fox they had a lady on telling how a 7yr old girl was rapped and murdered in the superdome, then ten guys beat him to death. Justice was quick in his case and will save the tax payers money that would have been wasted keeping the piece of trash alive. It is just all so overwhelming, like a horrible movie but it is real and happening to these people. It is so sad, I can not even begin to imagine what they are going through. To loose everything would be like loosing your identity and who you are. It is just sad sad sad :(

vanillasky
09-05-2005, 03:09 AM
I can't even put into words how I feel.

Heartbreak, Sorrow, Sadness, Pity, Angry, Disgusted are a few words that come to mind.

Sorrow & deep sadness is what I feel the most of. :(

Gabby
09-05-2005, 08:51 AM
I don't like BUSH have never liked BUSH, and never voted for BUSH.. but I can not help but say that he really isn't to blame for what happened.. much as it irks me to do so... I agree that help was too slow to arrive...but it was because of lower government officials in the state level, not the federal level.

But I still don't like BUSH :razz:

Beyond Belief
09-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Please do not respond to others posts or hold private conversations on this thread.

To those of you who don't know where you are...the creation of this thread was to establish a place people could express themself freely without being challenged by other posters.