PDA

View Full Version : The Superdome is finally empty!!!!

Dark Knight
09-03-2005, 09:23 PM
(AP) NEW ORLEANS - The last 300 refugees in the Superdome climbed aboard buses Saturday bound for new temporary shelter, leaving behind a darkened and stinking arena strewn with trash.

The sight of the last person an elderly man wearing a Houston Rockets cap prompted cheers from members of the Texas National Guard who were guarding the facility.

Gabby
09-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Thank God they are all out now and heading towards a place where there is food, water and safety.

T'sNana
09-03-2005, 09:25 PM
DK, that gave me chills. Thanks for the info.

Dark Knight
09-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Forgot to add, praise the Lord that one part of this nightmare is over!!!!

Details
09-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Thank you - that's wonderful to hear!

:dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap:

NK57
09-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Finally!!

concernedperson
09-03-2005, 09:30 PM
A long haul. Thank God.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-03-2005, 09:33 PM
DK, that gave me chills. Thanks for the info.

I agree, chills indeed!

P.S. Hope one of the Houston Rockets players will "adopt" the old man with the hat!

DEPUTYDAWG
09-03-2005, 09:39 PM
I took my daughter to a fabric store today, and saw fabric for each of the NFL teams...saw the fabric for the Saints...it just made me sad. I can't imagine when (if?) the SuperDome will be used for another game - I'm not sad about the football, per se...but that there were obviously many fans that don't have their "home team" to cheer, or at least to play at home. I have no idea what the football season will be like for the team, and really don't care, that's not important in the big picture. But I did wonder - should I get some of the fabric and make little pillows or ? But, I didn't, I didn't know what to do with it. Just a weird moment of life I had to share, thinking of the NO people while in a fabric store, while my life was a "typical Saturday" for me...so many won't have a "typical Saturday" for a long, long time...

Dark Knight
09-03-2005, 09:44 PM
(AP) Nita LaGarde, 105, was pushed down the street in her wheelchair as her nurse's 5-year-old granddaughter, Tanisha Blevin, held her hand. The pair spent two days in an attic, two days on an interstate island and the last four days on the pavement in front of the convention center.

"They're good to see," LaGarde said, with remarkable gusto as she waited to be loaded onto a gray Marine helicopter. She said they were sent by God. "Whatever He has for you, He'll take care of you. He'll sure take care of you." LaGarde's nurse, Ernestine Dangerfield, 60, said LaGarde had not had a clean adult diaper in more than two days. "I just want to get somewhere where I can get her nice and clean," she said.

lilpony
09-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Thats awesome.....:woohoo:

ariel7
09-03-2005, 11:13 PM
Forgot to add, praise the Lord that one part of this nightmare is over!!!!

AMEN!!!

2luvmy
09-04-2005, 12:12 AM
(AP) Nita LaGarde, 105, was pushed down the street in her wheelchair as her nurse's 5-year-old granddaughter, Tanisha Blevin, held her hand. The pair spent two days in an attic, two days on an interstate island and the last four days on the pavement in front of the convention center.

DK and others - msnbc.com has had Nita and Tanisha on their front page for most of today! One of my fav. pictures so far - depicting black and white, young and old, arm in arm together!!! Love it!

bulletgirl2002
09-04-2005, 08:29 AM
Did anyone note that there are a lot of white and Asian faces at the Houston shelter?

Beyond Belief
09-04-2005, 08:34 AM
I noticed that and the variety of faces of Americans in the photos of the so called looting scenes.