PDA

View Full Version : A question for all our WS posters...

Texas 1
09-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Who among you would be willing to open your home to the refugees of this horrible disaster? I am living in a town in Central Texas and today there were over 700 registered refugees needing homes. I have mixed emotions about this and would like input from all of you. We have enough room for two or three family members, but I just don't feel ready yet to open our home, for many reasons. What do y'all say? :confused: .

T'sNana
09-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Who among you would be willing to open your home to the refugees of this horrible disaster? I am living in a town in Central Texas and today there were over 700 registered refugees needing homes. I have mixed emotions about this and would like input from all of you. We have enough room for two or three family members, but I just don't feel ready yet to open our home, for many reasons. What do y'all say? :confused: . I'd be a little nervous about it...but I think I'd do it. There would be a lot of facctors....I have a family and live in a neighborhood I have lived in for years and know people around me and people look out for each other and I'm not alone. I think many factors would come into play for you or anyone to make a decision like that. You always wonder....What if I get a thug? That would almost be my luck! :eek:

dakini
09-03-2005, 10:49 PM
There are many ways to be helpful and generous. Give in whatever way is meaningful and within your comfort level.

One has to be generous within one's abilities to do so, and do the best to not judge yourself.

Details
09-03-2005, 10:50 PM
I would - with some strong conditions. First - I want to select who - talk to them for a bit, make sue they're the kind of people I'd want in my house - IOW, not looters, thugs, etc. If the agency can check them for a criminal record, I'd feel a lot better about it. Second, I have to say I'd only do it if someone else would always be there - a stay at home mom or dad. Another option for me would be to set up a good tent in the back yard, or set up the garage, and let them use the house when I'm home, but not when I am not (I'd probably drop that requirement after a few weeks)

But I just can't see myself letting strangers in without some precautions. For one thing, I've got indoor cats, and if one of them got out and was killed, it'd just be horrible.

BirdieBoo
09-03-2005, 10:51 PM
We don't have any room, but if we did, we'd be worried about what kind of screening process they'd go through.

And not to sound ugly, but I'd probably put my jewelry & credit cards into a safety deposit box. I know that doesn't sound very nice of me, but it's a big risk to let strangers right into your home, and I've been ripped off before so, once bitten, twice shy.

Anyway, I'd probably be willing to do it if I had the room & took several precautions beforehand. I'd need to know more info, also, like how long do we let them stay, etc...

lorann
09-03-2005, 10:52 PM
There would be many things to consider, both for you and for them. This will be a large commitment because it would be devastating if it didn't work and they were once again needing to relocate. I'm sure there are people who can give you advise. The places being offered where they can live alone as a family would be the most ideal. I love when family comes to stay, and sometimes after a long visit, when they leave I go whewww.

lilpony
09-03-2005, 10:54 PM
I would love to help these poor people. But I could not let them live with us. I would not feel safe at all. Who knows what could happen! I would never be able to go to sleep, have to sleep with one eye open..:(

Marthatex
09-03-2005, 11:03 PM
No, I am honest. I would feel uncomfortable opening my house to anyone- refugees, relatives LOL. I have only two bedrooms and a small septic tank. However, I have already sent money and am glad to help in any way I can. My son is already getting involved in a shelter project here.

I know that many apartment owners here are giving apartments - I might open up my home for 2 weeks for a compatible family. That is just my honest answer.

There is a home next to us that is being rented out for weekends. What I would do is call the owner and ask if he would be willing. Is there any way to "screen" the families. If they would agree to take care of it, like any other rentors, then fine. But I imagine these families would like to be in apartments with their friends and extended family.

I'm a person who just looks for ideas, solutions. but I wouldn't have strangers come in my home, white or black or yellow - unless flood waters were rising here, and it was a matter of life or death.

Beyond Belief
09-03-2005, 11:04 PM
I don't think I could bring strangers into our home. I also don't think I am qualified to deal with the tragedy they have endured. If able I would gladly give the gift on funds to help with their rent someplace where they can have some privacy to deal with their feelings.

lostfaith
09-03-2005, 11:16 PM
No, I am sorry, I would not do it. If I knew the people, I would consider it, if it was family, of course I would! But, not strangers. If I was a single person, or if I did not have any children at home, I might consider it. But, with my children in the house, no way. Sorry if that sounds cold, but I think I would have to put my childrens safety first. I would help in many other ways... cash donations, clothing, food, furniture for new housing, towels, .........I would even pitch in and help to build new housing for these survivors, but to take a stranger in my home, I could not submit my family to that. I feel guilty even saying it. On the other hand, If we at websleuths read a story of someone with young children taking in complete strangers and their children being hurt by said stranger, we would be 'all over' that saying, "how could those parents subject thier children to complete strangers living in thier house?" YOU KNOW WE WOULD! I still feel guilty :(

Magnum PI
09-03-2005, 11:18 PM
Who among you would be willing to open your home to the refugees of this horrible disaster? I am living in a town in Central Texas and today there were over 700 registered refugees needing homes. I have mixed emotions about this and would like input from all of you. We have enough room for two or three family members, but I just don't feel ready yet to open our home, for many reasons. What do y'all say? :confused: .I would...I live in a five bedroom house by myself and, if I could manage the logistics, bring in a couple, and possibly get them work at my family's restaurant..if they could put up with a nutcase like me for a while...mpi

Beyond Belief
09-03-2005, 11:28 PM
I would...I live in a five bedroom house by myself and, if I could manage the logistics, bring in a couple, and possibly get them work at my family's restaurant..if they could put up with a nutcase like me for a while...mpi
Be careful, that sounds inviting! You might end up with a houseful. LOL

dakini
09-03-2005, 11:29 PM
I am gracious with guests, have opened my house to a couple of strangers one time, housed two families (dharma friends) for one month each time.

I had a friend live with me for six months.

I am too helpful in some ways, too attentive and this puts a strain that I do not always notice until after the folks have gone.

I prefer guests to stay for a clear time-limit.

ariel7
09-03-2005, 11:29 PM
If I could, I would for certain.
Sadly, I am not in that
position. :(

love and prayers,

Ariel :blowkiss:

Sassygerl
09-03-2005, 11:39 PM
I would not feel safe taking people in with having children here, but have given food and money to those in need. We plan to help out at the shelters once we feel sure disease is not something we will bring home (I feel so selfish saying that, but I have to think of my boys!). We do, however, hope to foster a couple pets who can be reunited in time with the families who loved them so much and had to leave them behind (that one little boy loading the bus whose dog was taken from him and then cried so hard he was vomiting saddens me :( )

tipper
09-03-2005, 11:41 PM
I would be reluctant to open my house to strangers. Something like sharing a hotel room during a blizzard would be ok but I'd be worried about strangers in my house. I was considering offering to take in some horses if it would be useful. Unfortunately we're a days drive west of El Paso so I don't think it willl do much good.

nanandjim
09-03-2005, 11:53 PM
I feel bad saying this, but I would be very hesitant to let someone that I didn't know stay in my home. I would be willing to help in any other way. I would find them a place and help with everything that it took to get them set up in a new location, to include buying them the necessities that they needed to get started. I would even help them find work, if they were going to be in the area for a while.

2luvmy
09-03-2005, 11:57 PM
I would be leary also.

I would definately not have a male in my home - no offense to any males, but my safety and my children's comes first.

I think I would have to limit myself to a single mother and her children or children waiting to find their parents. I would be willing to have a background check done on myself to do something like this.

Living paycheck to paycheck myself, I would need assitance in taking them etc. but they would have lots of love, and place to stay and a teeny bit of privacy as ooposed to a shelter.

Magnum PI
09-04-2005, 12:19 AM
I would be reluctant to open my house to strangers. Something like sharing a hotel room during a blizzard would be ok but I'd be worried about strangers in my house. I was considering offering to take in some horses if it would be useful. Unfortunately we're a days drive west of El Paso so I don't think it willl do much good.This is a blizzard, it just hasn't reached all of us yet. I like the horse offer. Most don't appreciate what an offer that is. If I were a hurricane victim, and owned horses, I would kiss the feet of anyone who would take my horses in for any legnth of time. You must be a cowgirl...bless you!!...mpi

tybee204
09-04-2005, 12:33 AM
tex

I would make sure they had been checked out and if all was ok I would open my door. God Bless you for considering this option.

sue1017
09-04-2005, 01:06 AM
This site represents crime and peoples passions about them (meaning the people that commit them). I would have a hard time opening my home and my heart to any stranger. We do it all the time when we have party and our friends will bring someone we don't know and then they crash at our house. But crashing overnight is a small thing in comparison.

I couldn't do it. It wouldn't be prudent.

S

Magnum PI
09-04-2005, 01:37 AM
This site represents crime and peoples passions about them (meaning the people that commit them). I would have a hard time opening my home and my heart to any stranger. We do it all the time when we have party and our friends will bring someone we don't know and then they crash at our house. But crashing overnight is a small thing in comparison.

I couldn't do it. It wouldn't be prudent.

SI completely respect that. In this case, I am as much the stranger. If I had wife and children here, I would have to consider that, but I don't. They are safe and sound in Texas. I would require background checks, which I can do, and I would have to feel completely good about it. I travel a lot, and I would love someone here for many reasons,(not to mention my cats) I am not unaware of the chances one takes, but I have established family and friends around. I am also a sucker for lost causes sometimes...mpi

Bobbisangel
09-04-2005, 02:04 AM
I'm to far away and wouldn't have the room but if circumstances were different here I wouldn't mind having a mom with a couple kids stay here. It would be uncomfortable at first not knowing each other I would imagine.

I wonder why the government doesn't rent apt complexes for families even if the families double up for awhile. Or rent houses for multiple families. This isn't going to be a short term thing. These poor souls have no where to live...period. They need some stability right now. Some place they can call their own. I can't imagine losing everything I have ever owned and not having anywhere to live...having to depend on others for everything...even my underwear. Shelters are short term...staying with strangers is short term.

I heard today on the news that a woman in Tx is letting 13 people live in her home. A white couple whose baby is still in the hospital...new born...and will be for awhile are two of the people. I think the others are the couples family members. I don't know if the woman actually lives in the house or if it might have been a rental. Pretty nice though.

I would imagine quite a few people have family in other states or in places that didn't become damaged that they can stay with. There are thousands of people who have to live somewhere. What a mess. My heart just breaks for these people.

Becba
09-04-2005, 02:52 AM
I considered it but I am too worried about being able to get along with people I don't even know.

And also there may not be able to get their own place for a long time.

txsvicki
09-04-2005, 04:49 AM
I know if I were a victim in the same shoes there's no way I'd want to live with a stranger unless it was through my church or friends or family. Someone that I could trust. I'd rather be put up in an apartment on low rent housing in the long term until I could get back on my feet. If elderly, I'd like some sort of help besides a cot in a stadium though.

kgeaux
09-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Hopefully this will not be misinterpreted. But I'd be very, very careful about who I invited into my home.

Many of the evacuees are fine upstanding people. But some of them are gang members from those awful ghettos. You are talking about people to whom drive-by shootings, drug distribution and manufacturing, thieving and robbing are a way of life.

We have had rumors in here in Lafayette of carjackings, knifings, shootings, and armed robberies since the busloads of evacuees were brought to the Cajun Dome. Most of this is just rumor, but some of it is true. Five of the arrests listed in today's paper are of people from New Orleans. Driving while intoxicated, inciting a riot, refusing to move on, manufacture and distribution of a Schedule III narcotic.......it's scary. Very scary.

CyberLaw
09-04-2005, 12:03 PM
I don't think that I would open my home to "strangers" .

I would probably make a donation, share the cost of a hotel room, but the safety of my family and my children comes first.

Would I risk my daughter being molested or raped. My family held hostage at gun point, beaten, no.

You don't know who you are going to get living under the same roof as you......I am not taking a chance with my family........

You may hear "horror" stories in the near future about people who opened their homes out of the goodness of their hearts only to be "repaid" with violence.

I put money on it............and I don't bet to lose........

Is the guy living under your roof, phrone to domestic violence(but never charged), is he/she drug addicts(who now need a fix badly) is the "nice" man really a child molestor(but of course never caught), does the person have a violent temper, anger issues, destroys personal items when he gets mad and upset. Did he "play" you by acting as a nice normal person, when in reality when you have him in your home, he is not and never will be.

Does he have a gun hidden in his bag. Does he want your home without you in it.

Too many diverse people out there for me to ever open my home to "strangers", I am not going to live with the choice I made to offer my home to a stranger out of the goodness of my heart if it means putting my own family in harms way or in any way shape or form in harms way.

I am not being selfish, just pragmatic.......

Beyond Belief
09-04-2005, 12:03 PM
This is an excellent thread with honest opinions.:clap:

concernedperson
09-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Hopefully this will not be misinterpreted. But I'd be very, very careful about who I invited into my home.

Many of the evacuees are fine upstanding people. But some of them are gang members from those awful ghettos. You are talking about people to whom drive-by shootings, drug distribution and manufacturing, thieving and robbing are a way of life.

We have had rumors in here in Lafayette of carjackings, knifings, shootings, and armed robberies since the busloads of evacuees were brought to the Cajun Dome. Most of this is just rumor, but some of it is true. Five of the arrests listed in today's paper are of people from New Orleans. Driving while intoxicated, inciting a riot, refusing to move on, manufacture and distribution of a Schedule III narcotic.......it's scary. Very scary.

You and I have been trying to call attention to the crime in the area for a long time. Unfortunately, it has taken a disaster for it to get noticed.I also hope that national guard troops will be deployed to major evacuation areas to reinforce local LE. Otherwise, those infrastructures will be facing the same dire situations as NO....no one can be expected to work 24/7 indefinitely. It isn't fair to communities to be accosted by the criminal element from NO when they have their own to try and corral. Help is needed all over.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-04-2005, 12:15 PM
For many of the same reasons already posted, I would have serious reservations without knowing something about the people first. Once they've been "screened" so to speak at a shelter, etc. and knew something about them and their history, I might consider.

I do have three special causes, if you will...those with Diabetes, Celiac Disease, and those with horses, as someone else mentioned. People with Celiac have special dietary needs, which certainly have gone out the window for anyone living in shelters, etc. So, I have already been in contact with connections I have through the celiac support groups, (one in the Dallas area, but another is through a nationwide support group), stating I'm willing to do something to help with their dietary needs, etc. Just knowing they've got someone familiar with their special needs should be of comfort. So, those support groups are getting the word out, and hopefully those in the support groups can find those who need help.

And ofcourse, then, my bleeding heart would go out to the elderly...well, then, families with babies...and...on and on. Oh man...

Gabby
09-04-2005, 12:16 PM
I am afraid that I could not open my home to people that I do not know. Also the danger of disease they carry .. due to unsanitary conditions.. I have small grandchildren that this could affect... I just can not do it ... I have to keep my family safe from disease and harm.

kgeaux
09-04-2005, 12:29 PM
You and I have been trying to call attention to the crime in the area for a long time. Unfortunately, it has taken a disaster for it to get noticed.I also hope that national guard troops will be deployed to major evacuation areas to reinforce local LE. Otherwise, those infrastructures will be facing the same dire situations as NO....no one can be expected to work 24/7 indefinitely. It isn't fair to communities to be accosted by the criminal element from NO when they have their own to try and corral. Help is needed all over.

Yes. No one wants to listen! But we do have major problems here. When a little state like Louisiana has three to four serial killers operating at the same time, over a period of many, many years, and I cannot even count how many serial rapists were discovered when they started testing DNA samples that have been sitting on shelves, some of them for a decade or more, there are SERIOUS problems. Our LE, although improving, leaves so much to be desired. Our state leadership turns a blind eye. And then there are the ghettos.....

When hundreds of thousands of people who are living in poverty are stuck together in projects like Desire and Cooper, you have a recipe for disaster.

I am hearing that we will get National Guard troops in every town where there are large numbers of evacuees. I don't know when. But the governor has hired an ex-FEMA guy to head up the whole Katrina thing, and he seems to really know what to do and how to do it. So I have hope!

By the way, my friend's uncle who was in the trauma center at UMC in New Orleans, has been located! He is in an Atlanta hospital! He is alive! What good news!! We haven't heard much about Atlanta, have we, concerned? But y'all have stepped up to the bat, too. Thank you to Georgia for opening doors! For being there to help us!

Linda7NJ
09-04-2005, 12:29 PM
I don't think that I would open my home to "strangers" .

I would probably make a donation, share the cost of a hotel room, but the safety of my family and my children comes first.

Would I risk my daughter being molested or raped. My family held hostage at gun point, beaten, no.

You don't know who you are going to get living under the same roof as you......I am not taking a chance with my family........

You may hear "horror" stories in the near future about people who opened their homes out of the goodness of their hearts only to be "repaid" with violence.

I put money on it............and I don't bet to lose........

Is the guy living under your roof, phrone to domestic violence(but never charged), is he/she drug addicts(who now need a fix badly) is the "nice" man really a child molestor(but of course never caught), does the person have a violent temper, anger issues, destroys personal items when he gets mad and upset. Did he "play" you by acting as a nice normal person, when in reality when you have him in your home, he is not and never will be.

Does he have a gun hidden in his bag. Does he want your home without you in it.

Too many diverse people out there for me to ever open my home to "strangers", I am not going to live with the choice I made to offer my home to a stranger out of the goodness of my heart if it means putting my own family in harms way or in any way shape or form in harms way.

I am not being selfish, just pragmatic.......
I agree! I'll do plenty to help but will stop short of opening my home for the very same reasons you stated.

Marstan
09-04-2005, 12:53 PM
:waitasec: What a question - one I have been faced with for the past few days. I have a large home, three dogs, two birds, a husband and a daughter. I have two large extra bedrooms but I too ask myself if the risk is worth it. My heart goes out to everyone who wanted to leave but couldn't. I am less inclined to reach out to someone who refused to leave and put their families at risk.

What I will do, is what many many people will do, reach into my pocket book and make a donation. It is the very least I can do and I would say it is painless but I cannot admit to that.

I cannot or will not put my family at risk by not knowing who would be living with me and my family. Most of us here at WS realize the danger of not paying attention to what is going on around us, we read the papers, we watch the news, and yet we are still astounded at what happens when someone puts their guard down.

What exactly can we do and still maintain our safety? At what point are we accused of being selfish, mean, because we think of our own children and families? Would I have left that area before the hurricane hit, IN A HOT MINUTE, I would have ran. But I know I would have had the ability to leave.

My prayers go out to the families in crisis - those that wanted to leave but couldn't. And for those families who are separated and the people who have been prayed upon - by scum who are wandering the streets looting and shooting, raping and pilaging.

my thoughts are jumbled and i find it hard to put into words what i feel .... mumbling ended.

Casshew
09-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Marstan that was an awesome post :)

Marstan
09-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Thank you Casshew - :blowkiss:

Miss Daisey
09-04-2005, 01:36 PM
We don't have children living at home so I wouldn't worry about that if we took in strangers. I'd consider taking in an elderly couple...maybe two couples...or a Mom with young children....until other living arrangements could be made for them....for say; a few months?

Better still, I liked Franklin Grahams suggestion that each church "adopt" 10 families and make a combined effort to supply food, shelter, get the kids in school and help parents find jobs to eventually be self supporting again.

It's such a difficult question. We all want so much to just be able to DO something besides donate money.

I agree with posters w/children who are afraid to bring strangers into their homes. I wouldn't do that either...under any circumstances. And the elderly couple(s) or the Mom would have to be drug free and no weapons to live w/me. And it would help if they're a lot older than me. :) That is to say; I'd want to be completly in control of such an arrangement before I'd feel comfortable bringing strangers into my home...even for a short time.

Sassygerl
09-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Many of these children more than likely will be going to school with my children....I am concerned about disease!!!! I heard on the news that at one shelter the illness/diseases have begun :eek: Are they not planning to quarantine for at least a short time? I know in Houston the children start school next week.

CyberLaw
09-04-2005, 02:58 PM
I don't know what "diseases" you are talking about.

There has been some case of "water borne" illness(treated with anti-biotic) that is from contaminated food and water.

But it is passed on by containated food and water.

Once people are given the proper medical care, CLEAN food and CLEAN water, any illness should clear up.

So I don't think kids have to worry about "passing" on diseases to each other.

There is enough "germs" at school for every one to get sick anyways

I am more concerned about a child's mental health and trying to give them somewhat of a normal existance and back in school.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Re diseases, yes, the State of Texas has already started talking about the impact this will have in the areas that are taking in the families. Not so much that it will be a great plague or anything, but the medical impact will be transferred to these areas, where we already have limited resources for medical help to those without much medical care, etc. It will just be a bigger strain on an already strained system. It will be handled, but at least they're already trying to plan on ways to handle it.

Magnum PI
09-05-2005, 01:04 AM
We don't have children living at home so I wouldn't worry about that if we took in strangers. I'd consider taking in an elderly couple...maybe two couples...or a Mom with young children....until other living arrangements could be made for them....for say; a few months?

Better still, I liked Franklin Grahams suggestion that each church "adopt" 10 families and make a combined effort to supply food, shelter, get the kids in school and help parents find jobs to eventually be self supporting again.

It's such a difficult question. We all want so much to just be able to DO something besides donate money.

I agree with posters w/children who are afraid to bring strangers into their homes. I wouldn't do that either...under any circumstances. And the elderly couple(s) or the Mom would have to be drug free and no weapons to live w/me. And it would help if they're a lot older than me. :) That is to say; I'd want to be completly in control of such an arrangement before I'd feel comfortable bringing strangers into my home...even for a short time.There are 3400 churches within 100 miles of where I am now. If they each took in 10 people that would make a huge difference. That is a great idea and I am going to pass it along to a talk show friend of mine to pose to his listeners. After all, this is very close to what organized religion should be about, caring for your fellow man, whatever your belief...mpi

Magnum PI
09-05-2005, 01:24 AM
Be careful, that sounds inviting! You might end up with a houseful. LOLWell, I grew up in a family of seven children, so a houseful doesn't bother me so much. Anyone I took in would have to be somewhat self reliant, though. I might could help in some areas, but I don't have time to nurture anyone, and I'm somewhat of a recluse when I am home. All I have is some extra space and the feeling I want to help a little if I can...mpi

Details
09-05-2005, 01:26 AM
An idea I had for Marstan, and others with room available - have you thought about volunteering at the nearest shelter? That way you can help, and also see if maybe there is someone you would feel comfortable with inviting into your home. If so, great - that's one more family out of the shelter, that much more room for the rest of them. If not - you are still helping out by volunteering there.

Sassygerl
09-05-2005, 09:11 AM
I don't know what "diseases" you are talking about.

There has been some case of "water borne" illness(treated with anti-biotic) that is from contaminated food and water.

But it is passed on by containated food and water.

Once people are given the proper medical care, CLEAN food and CLEAN water, any illness should clear up.

So I don't think kids have to worry about "passing" on diseases to each other.

There is enough "germs" at school for every one to get sick anyways

I am more concerned about a child's mental health and trying to give them somewhat of a normal existance and back in school.

Of course children pass "germs" back and forth while in school. But when you put that many people together coming from such squalid conditions you would think there's a distinct chance of communicable disease. The good news is that so far the CDC is not reporting any typhoid, cholera, etc.

Beyond Belief
09-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Well, I grew up in a family of seven children, so a houseful doesn't bother me so much. Anyone I took in would have to be somewhat self reliant, though. I might could help in some areas, but I don't have time to nurture anyone, and I'm somewhat of a recluse when I am home. All I have is some extra space and the feeling I want to help a little if I can...mpi
you also have a very big heart. :)

Norma
09-05-2005, 09:18 AM
I myself have considered it, but then since they're now bringing 10,000 people up to Michigan, I'm not positive I could get Mr. Pook to agree. I only have a twin bed/small room to offer, and we only have one bathroom in our house. And I could probably get them a job where I work, plus, two Universities in the area are offering free tuition for those displaced students. And while I would want some type of screening process, I also realize that these folks have gone thru too much already to be insulted by this (as I probably would.)

But I could probably only stand it for about 2 weeks time. I can only act normal for so long in front of strangers.

Locally, some of our hotels in the 'burbs are starting to accept families and also asking for clothing donations.

Gabby
09-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Of course children pass "germs" back and forth while in school. But when you put that many people together coming from such squalid conditions you would think there's a distinct chance of communicable disease. The good news is that so far the CDC is not reporting any typhoid, cholera, etc.

that is good news Sass... and I agree with you... I would not want to take a chance on passing something like typhoid on to my child by having evacuees in my home.. risks are too great I for one would never say you were wrong for erring on the side of caution.. our kids are too important.

kgeaux
09-05-2005, 11:10 AM
I myself have considered it, but then since they're now bringing 10,000 people up to Michigan, I'm not positive I could get Mr. Pook to agree. I only have a twin bed/small room to offer, and we only have one bathroom in our house. And I could probably get them a job where I work, plus, two Universities in the area are offering free tuition for those displaced students. And while I would want some type of screening process, I also realize that these folks have gone thru too much already to be insulted by this (as I probably would.)

But I could probably only stand it for about 2 weeks time. I can only act normal for so long in front of strangers.
Locally, some of our hotels in the 'burbs are starting to accept families and also asking for clothing donations.

LOL! Me,too!!

shdbepaintin
09-05-2005, 11:16 AM
An idea I had for Marstan, and others with room available - have you thought about volunteering at the nearest shelter? That way you can help, and also see if maybe there is someone you would feel comfortable with inviting into your home. If so, great - that's one more family out of the shelter, that much more room for the rest of them. If not - you are still helping out by volunteering there.
To take this thought just a bit different. What about the voulunteers who are there, who is taking care of them. Could it be that someone with room and the means offer to have some volunteers stay with them in their home. Does that make sense. I live in Indiana. I like so many would love to help. I have donated money and plan to do that as often as I can. Our Church may send a group to help rebuild. My husband has a weeks vacation that he would love to take and help. One of my thoughts was, who would take care of him? These volunters will need food and shelter also. Maybe that is an option. Finding a local church who has people comming from out of state to help that you could give a bed to for a few days here and there.
Just a thought.
Personally, I would love to help by taking in a couple of small children, even infants. But that is my heart talking.

Marstan
09-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Thank you for the idea Details. I have for years volunteered my time with children in foster care whose parents were at the local shelter to undergo drug treatment or who were homeless. I went to the shelter, helped supervise visitations, etc., but at no time was I able to determine the actual history for each and every person who was staying at the shelter. I met very nice, personable people, they tug at my heart, but that does not make them safe people that I would invite to live in my home with me and my children (child now).

How many people, adults and children, have been injured or killed by someone they "thought they knew" when in fact they may have just met them? Too many in my thoughts, perhaps that is why I am a member of WS and donate my time and efforts into child advocacy.

I would take children without parents in a heartbeat. Not that they can't create havock but at least I would feel I had more ability to control the situation. Of course, I am a strict parent, so maybe they wouldn't want to live with me! :blowkiss:

Details
09-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Actually, children without parents might be possible - I heard that there were lots of cases of families getting broken up, since the buses ended up going to different places - one shelter with a ton of children, and no parents for them, etc. With a child, you'd probably only be giving it a home until it's parents could be located, but I'm sure they'd love to be out of the shelters. OTOH, they're probably a lot more careful about letting a child go out to someone else's home out of the shelters.

Marstan
09-05-2005, 04:50 PM
I would hope they would be careful before placing any child with a stranger - I would want them to be very careful.

tipper
09-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Question-

I know they have refrigerated trucks and are starting to identify bodies. But what will they do with all those bodies? Plus you have bodies from the graveyards. My understanding is you can't bury underground in New Orleans anyway. Will they cremate them. Move them to mass graves somewhere? If people couldn't afford to evacuate they certainly can't now afford body transport and funerals.

kgeaux
09-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Question-

I know they have refrigerated trucks and are starting to identify bodies. But what will they do with all those bodies? Plus you have bodies from the graveyards. My understanding is you can't bury underground in New Orleans anyway. Will they cremate them. Move them to mass graves somewhere? If people couldn't afford to evacuate they certainly can't now afford body transport and funerals.

My father in law died in 2001. He donated his body to medical research at Tulane Hospital. These bodies are in the morgue area, a basement I think. I think he's probably floating around in the water, and I can't ask my hubby what he thinks because I am hoping he hasn't thought of this possibility. But I am horrified.

Tom'sGirl
09-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Question-

I know they have refrigerated trucks and are starting to identify bodies. But what will they do with all those bodies? Plus you have bodies from the graveyards. My understanding is you can't bury underground in New Orleans anyway. Will they cremate them. Move them to mass graves somewhere? If people couldn't afford to evacuate they certainly can't now afford body transport and funerals.I saw a documentory the other night about the Hurricane that hit Galveston in 1900. Of the 37,000 residents, 6,000 were killed and I believe they said that they had a mass cremation due to health concerns.

Of course now in the 21st century we have options that weren't available at that period of time.

I never knew until I saw that show how influential Galveston once was, and how beautiful the homes and hotels were. They referred to it as "once the Riveria of the USA"

tipper
09-05-2005, 10:31 PM
How awful. I wouldn't bring it up to him either.

Magnum PI
09-06-2005, 12:47 AM
My father in law died in 2001. He donated his body to medical research at Tulane Hospital. These bodies are in the morgue area, a basement I think. I think he's probably floating around in the water, and I can't ask my hubby what he thinks because I am hoping he hasn't thought of this possibility. But I am horrified. Why are you horrified? He probably was of sound mind or whatever when he did it, and he probably also knew that they wouldn't be dressing him for dinner, so to speak, each night. He knew he could be disected and worse. Remember that song by John Prine "Please don't bury me under that cold, cold ground. No, I'd rather have them cut me up, and pass me all around" ... I have kids, and they know, and are ok with the fact that I will be cremated after they have harvested anything worth saving from my body. I know this is hard for most, but this is quickly becoming the best solution. I worked for a funeral home during my last year of High School. I actually worked there about a year and a half...this is a tough subject, I know...mpi

Linda7NJ
09-06-2005, 12:55 AM
Why are you horrified? He probably was of sound mind or whatever when he did it, and he probably also knew that they wouldn't be dressing him for dinner, so to speak, each night. He knew he could be disected and worse. Remember that song by John Prine "Please don't bury me under that cold, cold ground. No, I'd rather have them cut me up, and pass me all around" ... I have kids, and they know, and are ok with the fact that I will be cremated after they have harvested anything worth saving from my body. I know this is hard for most, but this is quickly becoming the best solution. I worked for a funeral home during my last year of High School. I actually worked there about a year and a half...this is a tough subject, I know...mpi
harvest & cremation for me too! Ya can't take it with ya! I wish more people would donate their organs

Tom'sGirl
09-06-2005, 01:01 AM
harvest & cremation for me too! Ya can't take it with ya! I wish more people would donate their organs
I've got my dot on my drivers license to donate organs. Cremation is for me too.

All of my family wishes are the same and we all know what to do. Advance directives do no good if you get snuffed somewhere where your doctor or HMO doesn't have the info.

Dara
09-06-2005, 01:05 AM
In MA, we have a little heart instead of a dot.

Tom'sGirl
09-06-2005, 01:10 AM
In MA, we have a little heart instead of a dot.
Just went in a checked mine again, it's a pink dot that say Donor.

Hmmmmmmm, also noticed I have to renew next year.........LOL

Details
09-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Your father in law's body was probably long ago disposed of - there's only so long it stays fresh enough to be useful. 4 years - I'm sure it's gone.

I've got the dot too - when I'm dead, anything that is useful to anyone else can go to them - it'll be nice if something good can happen from it. It's so sad when so many people die because people neglect to sign their organ donor cards.

kgeaux
09-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Why are you horrified? He probably was of sound mind or whatever when he did it, and he probably also knew that they wouldn't be dressing him for dinner, so to speak, each night. He knew he could be disected and worse. Remember that song by John Prine "Please don't bury me under that cold, cold ground. No, I'd rather have them cut me up, and pass me all around" ... I have kids, and they know, and are ok with the fact that I will be cremated after they have harvested anything worth saving from my body. I know this is hard for most, but this is quickly becoming the best solution. I worked for a funeral home during my last year of High School. I actually worked there about a year and a half...this is a tough subject, I know...mpi

Oh, my. I'm giggling here, the thought of them dressing him up and taking him out to dinner....

We've known exactly what they were using the body for--I think my horror came from thinking that his body would be abandoned and wasted.

They were to cremate him after 5 years and send the ashes back to the family. I'm just thinking that might not happen.

But I dreamed of FIL last night, and I'm feeling so much better about it today. His life was long and full, and if his body's purpose has ended, so be it.

It was such a little thing compared to the great suffering of others, but once I'd gotten that thought into my head, I couldn't seem to shake it.

My MIL will also donate, as will both my parents. My hubby and I used to gripe that we wouldn't get a good funeral out of the four of them, but now we are donating our bodies, too.