PDA

View Full Version : When, and how?

Olivia77
09-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Assuming New Orleans will be rebuilt, when do you think it will be inhabitable again? 16 weeks, a year, longer?

My personal guess is a year, of course that is based on the fact that I know zero about what's involved in rebuilding a city. I'm curious at to when you all think that it will be back in business.

That leads me to how? Pretty much all homes are flooded, does this mean that they are ruined forever? Or can water be pumped out? I'm so unfamiliar with how it works. If anyone can share, I would appreciate it. :)

concernedperson
09-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Assuming New Orleans will be rebuilt, when do you think it will be inhabitable again? 16 weeks, a year, longer?

My personal guess is a year, of course that is based on the fact that I know zero about what's involved in rebuilding a city. I'm curious at to when you all think that it will be back in business.

That leads me to how? Pretty much all homes are flooded, does this mean that they are ruined forever? Or can water be pumped out? I'm so unfamiliar with how it works. If anyone can share, I would appreciate it. :)

Standing water is doom even if you aren't in a high humidity area. Mold will be most formidable and mold in these quantities are toxic. These homes will have to be bulldozed and then you have to evaulate whether it should be rebuilt.

Gabby
09-04-2005, 08:08 PM
While this is an entirely different scenario, lots of Southern Cities had to rebuild completely after Sherman's Army came through in the South during the Civil War... New Orleans will rebuild, mark my words....and they will be back before you realise it...

Casshew
09-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Just a guess but 3 months to repair the levees... 3-6 months to pump out the standing water. One year ++ to strengthen the levees to with stand another cat 5 hurricane.

3-5 years access to bulldoze & remove entire city blocks & repair & rebuild schools, hospitals, & all other buildings effected

Then there is the matter of disease & chemical treatment & revamping the sewage treatment centre and fresh water source to the city.

This is assuming they actually rebuild.