PDA

View Full Version : Levee Success??

Olivia77
09-05-2005, 07:01 PM
That's the headline on CNN right now, is the levee already fixed? Does anyone have any breaking news on this?

Olivia77
09-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Answering my own questions here, heh.

"Repair crews have patched the ruptured levee along the 17th Street Canal and have begun pumping water from New Orleans, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said Monday."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/05/neworleans.levees/index.html

concernedperson
09-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Olivia it is just a temporary fix.I am glad they have gotten this far and the pumping can began but the bigger picture is at hand. What to do?

Olivia77
09-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Olivia it is just a temporary fix.I am glad they have gotten this far and the pumping can began but the bigger picture is at hand. What to do?

I'm hoping this means that they can at least start drying out the city? Will that help cut down on the disease possibility?

Tom'sGirl
09-05-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm hoping this means that they can at least start drying out the city? Will that help cut down on the disease possibility?
Draining will mean they will be able to locate possibable bodies and remove them. Then, IF they can keep the people out of there they can begin spraying, but that's a BIG IF!

concernedperson
09-05-2005, 08:10 PM
I'll know more tomorrow when my daughter returns. She said they were only going into Baton Rouge but you know when your kids are lying. She didn't want me to know that the Uhaul was part of the rescue from Jefferson Parish, as there are no Uhauls in Baton Rouge. I'll forgive her if she comes home safe. But she is an adult and her decisions are hers to make.But I am not happy until I hear her voice. This is just so hard all the way around. I alternate between hope and despair and somewhere in between.

Tom'sGirl
09-05-2005, 08:13 PM
I'll know more tomorrow when my daughter returns. She said they were only going into Baton Rouge but you know when your kids are lying. She didn't want me to know that the Uhaul was part of the rescue from Jefferson Parish, as there are no Uhauls in Baton Rouge. I'll forgive her if she comes home safe. But she is an adult and her decisions are hers to make.But I am not happy until I hear her voice. This is just so hard all the way around. I alternate between hope and despair and somewhere in between.
This morning on T.V. there were showing the traffic in New Orleans (not downtown) and the place was full of U-Hauls I assumed were leaving town.

concernedperson
09-05-2005, 08:18 PM
This morning on T.V. there were showing the traffic in New Orleans (not downtown) and the place was full of U-Hauls I assumed were leaving town.

Coming in from other states and rented from other states, I assume.Most vehicles in NO were under water.

Tom'sGirl
09-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Coming in from other states and rented from other states, I assume.Most vehicles in NO were under water.
Oh yeah, they would have had to be from out of town. I think a lot of family members just came in and got them and whatever they were able to salvage.

What's so sad is how many have no family or friends that can help them.

concernedperson
09-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Oh yeah, they would have had to be from out of town. I think a lot of family members just came in and got them and whatever they were able to salvage.

What's so sad is how many have no family or friends that can help them.

That is what is going on with my family and I hope soon I can make other differences in other families.Other than the toys and personal care products that we have already distributed.

I also want to know where my extended family and friends are. I know it will be weeks but I still want to know.

Details
09-05-2005, 08:46 PM
It's the American way to be an individual, make it all on your own, don't need to depend on family...

but when you get a little older you find that almost everyone sooner or later hits a rough patch in their life, and whether or not you have family support changes an impossible to recover from disaster to a minor hurdle. Just whether or not you have a person you can move in with, or if you have to pay for a hotel room can be the difference between having some savings left to recover with or not.

concernedperson
09-05-2005, 09:02 PM
It's the American way to be an individual, make it all on your own, don't need to depend on family...

but when you get a little older you find that almost everyone sooner or later hits a rough patch in their life, and whether or not you have family support changes an impossible to recover from disaster to a minor hurdle. Just whether or not you have a person you can move in with, or if you have to pay for a hotel room can be the difference between having some savings left to recover with or not.

We all do what we can even if it is personal peril.I just hope for a modicum of recovery as my heart is so hurt and I see this as the worst for America. In so many ways. LinasK always called me a liberal and I always thought I was republican and she showed me my ways in so many ways. My heart is bigger than that but I don't advocate entitlement but I do represent the absolutely downtrodden.So a WS's showed me my core. So, LinasK thanks for bringing me back to where I was when I was 18 and pure.