PDA

View Full Version : The children of Katrina

Dark Knight
09-06-2005, 05:46 PM
How sad:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/chitribts/20050906/ts_chicagotrib/achildinchargeof6babies

ariel7
09-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Truly heartbreaking.
:(

love,
Ariel

Sniffy38
09-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks for that good article, DK. While it was sad, it had a very happy ending. That little 6 yr. old boy should receive a medal!

bakerprune64
09-06-2005, 06:37 PM
So. let me get this straight. The parents put the kids on the helicopter so they could be taken to safety with the promise that help would return for them. Then the children were dumped off to fend for themsleves by their so called rescuers before they were found? Am I missing something other than the fact that by the grace of God these kids are okay? What a brave little man.

Dark Knight
09-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks for that good article, DK. While it was sad, it had a very happy ending. That little 6 yr. old boy should receive a medal!
Yes, the ending was very happy. But the events leading up to it were sad, I meant. But praise the Lord for the happy ending, for sure!!!!!

Anniegirl
09-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Whewwww..Ive cried more today than i have in months.

God bless that 6 year old little boy..I wish i could give him a hug.

Its scary and so sad to see America face a situation, that sadly, third world countries live with EVERYDAY.

Tom'sGirl
09-06-2005, 10:44 PM
So. let me get this straight. The parents put the kids on the helicopter so they could be taken to safety with the promise that help would return for them. Then the children were dumped off to fend for themsleves by their so called rescuers before they were found? Am I missing something other than the fact that by the grace of God these kids are okay? What a brave little man.
I saw the mom this morning on T.V. with her kids and it was so wonderful. She said when the chopers arrivied overhead she thought they were taking up families, but were told only the kids, so naturally who wouldn't let their kids get to safety.

Yesterday a reporter was talking to Deamonte (the 6 year old) with his band of siblings in tow before being reunited with his mom and he said the most grown up thing. He said "this is life", then the reporter asked him what he meant. he said "people die"..........just got to me!

kgeaux
09-06-2005, 10:45 PM
I saw the mom this morning on T.V. with her kids and it was so wonderful. She said when the chopers arrivied overhead she thought they were taking up families, but were told only the kids, so naturally who wouldn't let their kids get to safety.

Yesterday a reporter was talking to Deamonte (the 6 year old) with his band of siblings in tow before being reunited with his mom and he said the most grown up thing. He said "this is life", then the reporter asked him what he meant. he said "people die"..........just got to me!

That little child is going to be somebody very important one day, I bet. What presence of mind, strength of character and bravery for one so young!

editing to add: you know what? He is somebody very important already! But you know what I mean!

concernedperson
09-06-2005, 10:46 PM

That is to many kids growing up before there time.

Sassygerl
09-07-2005, 12:22 AM
When I picked my son up today (5th grade) he told me they are going to have a new classmate....a child from New Orleans. He said she was suppose to start today, but didn't show up. She will probably be there tomorrow. He was so cute because he was telling me that he is going to be real nice to her (boy/girl thing ya know) because she lost her home. He gets it!!!!!!

Our school is collecting monies for the other families whose children are to start this week as well. They need school supplies, clothes, etc. I explained to my children they don't even have backpacks, folders....nothing. They are willing to share whatever they have....so sweet and made me feel like we've done something right in raising them :)

lostfaith
09-07-2005, 03:09 AM
What horror for those parents! So happy that everthing turned out all right. Another example of the gut wrenching decisions that had to be made in a split second.