PDA

View Full Version : Foster homes for Katrina pets

Ntegrity
09-07-2005, 12:05 PM
I think I may have finally found the best place to sign up to foster animals displaced by Katrina. It's a pretty intense application which tells me they're trying to find homes where these animals will receive really good care.

http://www.katrinafoundpets.com/app.htm

poco
09-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the link!

lorann
09-07-2005, 07:40 PM
That was very interesting. Their application was much more detailed than the one is signed up for from Mo. I received some information from them today concerning food and health care etc. They also informed me that my name and phone number would be given to the owners so they could contact me.

Feeding and providing vet care was assumed when I started into this. These people also evacuated dogs from the Human Societies. Now, I am getting cold feet. I can rescue a dog from our own shelter, one that I pick. I said I would accept two dogs, small or medium size, puppy to adult. My family is afraid I will get pit bulls or chows. I also wondered if these pets are not neutered or spayed, can I assume I could have that done? If you foster, the costs are to be shared by the owner and the host - that's not going to happen and I can handle that part.

Now, I am feeling guilty and having reservations.

Ntegrity
09-07-2005, 09:12 PM
You should certainly have the right to refuse an aggressive dog. I specified NON-aggressive dogs since I have 3 of my own and don't want to risk their safety. I'm happy to help out (even excited about it) but the foster kidz must be easy going and able to get along well with other dogs or I won't take them.

Sassygerl
09-08-2005, 11:28 PM
bumping for the pets......

2sisters
09-08-2005, 11:42 PM
I also saw on MSNBC tonight that you can go to petfinder.org and there is info about pets left behind. I guess some people can't take them with them, but I can't even think about leaving my dog behind.

Sassygerl
09-09-2005, 12:18 AM
Has anyone gotten a call to foster???? I signed up for a dog and guinea pig/rabbit, but haven't heard anything. I would love to take in one of these pets.....for as long as we had to.....

PrayersForMaura
09-09-2005, 12:34 AM
I signed up through my local humane society and received two follow up emails but no calls yet.

I did receive this update on how the rescue is coming along
__________________________________________________ __________

Dear Prayers for Maura:
It’s been nine long, hot and steamy days since the Humane Society of Missouri rescue team left the St. Louis area for the hurricane-affected areas of the Gulf States. During this time:

http://member.hsmo.org/images/content/pagebuilder/15115.jpg

Carmen and Brett rescued dozens of animals from a dark, dank, washed-out animal shelter where the surviving animals swam in their cages in 5-foot deep water until the flood subsided.
Linda has given emergency medical aid to many lost pets including a Pekinese suffering from severe heatstroke.
Brian helped get 300 gallons of water to very thirsty wild animals in a roadside zoo.
Kyle and Tim chain-sawed away trees and moved mountains of debris to rescue dozens of miniature pinschers from a demolished breeding facility.
John has spent many hours on the road transporting hundreds of animals from evacuation zones to safe animal shelters in our large mobile animal rescue vehicle.

And we haven’t even begun to scratch the surface. Our toughest days are ahead of us as we are allowed to move closer to the more devastated towns where pets are running loose or are stranded in flooded buildings, gasoline becomes even more difficult to find, and electricity and clean water are non-existent. (Stay informed by reading our rescue diary (http://member.hsmo.org/site/R?i=umUHG_QROIHJGuPNXqt2oA..).)

http://member.hsmo.org/images/content/pagebuilder/15116.jpgI know you’ve been hearing about some national animal welfare agencies in the news. We’re glad the plight of animals affected by this disaster is receiving national attention.

We want you to know we’re right in there, too -- cutting away trees, moving debris, tramping through the muck and mud, facing some pretty grim scenes. It’s so gratifying when we see a wagging tail and hear a soft “meow.” We’re working hard to save every animal we can. You pet-lovers back in Missouri would be proud of us!

Please know that we don’t get any funding from those big national agencies. We’re here because of the money you send specifically to the Humane Society of Missouri. We know we have a lot of support back home and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Your good wishes, prayers and contributions are what keep our rescue efforts going during this extremely difficult time.

Sincerely,

http://member.hsmo.org/images/content/pagebuilder/15119.jpg

Debbie Hill
Director of Rescues and Investigations

Sassygerl
09-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Thanks PrayersforMaura......we hope to hear something soon!!!!! I love animals, and would take in a dog and guinea pig/rabbit.....gerbil whatever that means so much to someone, esp. a child (I love cats, but my cat would freak!). I just hope the fact that we have many pets doesn't disqualify us.

While we've done everything we can for the people, aside from letting them live here (no room....and children.....) I hope we'll hear something soon regarding a pet. As I watch all these animals on TV I think "we'll take one or two!!!!!" I would take in people if I didn't have children........and am willing to buy them whatever they need. I think many feel this way.....