PDA

View Full Version : If We Don't SEE The Bodies, They Don't Exist??

cynder
09-07-2005, 02:13 PM
More CYA from FEMA

"Forced to defend what some critics consider its slow and botched response to the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina, the Federal Emergency Management Agency said on Tuesday it does not want the news media to take photographs of the dead as they are recovered from New Orleans.
Snip...
"We have requested that no photographs of the deceased be made by the media," the spokeswoman told Reuters via e-mail."

http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001055768

Ntegrity
09-07-2005, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't want the decayed bodies of my loved ones being photographed and shown all over the internet. Would you? I don't see that as CYA tactics, but maybe more as common sense and respect for the victims. :furious:

DEPUTYDAWG
09-07-2005, 02:19 PM
More CYA from FEMA

"Forced to defend what some critics consider its slow and botched response to the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina, the Federal Emergency Management Agency said on Tuesday it does not want the news media to take photographs of the dead as they are recovered from New Orleans.
Snip...
"We have requested that no photographs of the deceased be made by the media," the spokeswoman told Reuters via e-mail."

http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001055768

I'm not all warm and fuzzy about FEMA, and won't go too far to try to defend them (!), but I can see their point that some discretion is needed. At least on a lot of the major networks, etc. Kids run through rooms with TV's on, etc. Heck, we try to control crime and accident scenes by covering the body or the area. Some people do get very traumatized by sights of such things.

So while FEMA might be doing some CYA (as well they are in a lot of cases here), I will still hold out hope that there's other, better reasons for not showing a lot of it. Put it in areas where people have the choice whether to view it, that's fine. Like the one thread that was here somewhere, where the thread starter warned people in advance. I appreciated that. JMHO.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-07-2005, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't want the decayed bodies of my loved ones being photographed and shown all over the internet. Would you? I don't see that as CYA tactics, but maybe more as common sense and respect for the victims. :furious:

Well, you posted what I was thinking, but in far less words. Thanks!

DD>>> who has been typing way too many words today...

Ntegrity
09-07-2005, 02:21 PM
LOL!! That's me. Short and to the point (aka blunt). :D

Sally
09-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Of course those seeking some macabre thrill will be disappointed. Fortunately, some people and agencies still have and exercise common sense.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-07-2005, 02:23 PM
LOL!! That's me. Short and to the point (aka blunt). :D

I bet your cell phone bill is smaller than mine, too! :crazy:

DEPUTYDAWG
09-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Of course those seeking some macabre thrill will be disappointed. Fortunately, some people and agencies still have and exercise common sense.

Like the site that sells nice stuff from murder scenes, etc.? :doh:

Dara
09-07-2005, 02:30 PM
I can see the point of not allowing it, but I also get why cynder suspects it's part of a CYA/PR effort.

cynder
09-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Like it or not - these dead people are the real "reality" TV. The truth hurts like hell, and it often isn't pretty either. Without the photos of Vietnam would we have known the "reality" of that war?
I understand respect, but where was the "respect" when these people were drowning in a flooded city, or dying in overcrowded, unsanitary shelters with no food, water or toilets? Is respect then found going without fanfare into an unmarked grave without a name?
If it was MY family member I would welcome the media photos. I would hope that at least the death of my loved one had meaning and would perhaps help save future victims from the same fate. Hiding them from public view makes their death meaningless in the big picture of what went wrong.
The pictures of dead bodies lined up like cord wood, left rotting in the water or abandoned in a gutter are just what people NEED to see, because they are the reality of Hurrican Katrina. We should be sickened and offended. We should be angry.

Linda7NJ
09-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Like it or not - these dead people are the real "reality" TV. The truth hurts like hell, and it often isn't pretty either. Without the photos of Vietnam would we have known the "reality" of that war?
I understand respect, but where was the "respect" when these people were drowning in a flooded city, or dying in overcrowded, unsanitary shelters with no food, water or toilets? Is respect then found going without fanfare into an unmarked grave without a name?
If it was MY family member I would welcome the media photos. I would hope that at least the death of my loved one had meaning and would perhaps help save future victims from the same fate. Hiding them from public view makes their death meaningless in the big picture of what went wrong.
The pictures of dead bodies lined up like cord wood, left rotting in the water or abandoned in a gutter are just what people NEED to see, because they are the reality of Hurrican Katrina. We should be sickened and offended. We should be angry.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ntegrity
09-07-2005, 02:49 PM
I am sickened and offended -- by the horrific natural disaster named KATRINA. I still wouldn't want my family to be shown like some of those poor souls on ogrish.com. I can assure you that I wouldn't want to be on there with people gawking at me either.

Mabel
09-07-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm undecided on this issue. On one hand, seeing the bodies shows the tragedy and enormity of the situation. On the other hand, out of consideration for the families of the victims and for the dignity of the victims themselves, I don't think it's a good idea. When I looked at the picture of the woman in green from the other thread, with her tongue hanging out - it's obvious that she was someone who cared a great deal about her appearance. How awful that she will be remembered in such a horrible way. She deserves better than that.

tybee204
09-07-2005, 02:55 PM
I have no desire to view photos of the victims but I believe from a historic prospective they must be taken. That everything about this disaster needs to be documented and learned from. Sometimes faces have to be put on human tragedy lest we forget.

Dara
09-07-2005, 03:07 PM
I think of the many similar photographs--of the dead, dying, injured--that have helped bring awareness of issues to us in a visceral way and possibly changed the world. The other day, I mentioned the Pulitzer prize-winning photograph by Kevin Clark of a starving child so close to death she was being stalked by a vulture. It's horrific. He ignited debate, but only for not helping the child, not for taking the photograph. I think we can picture stunning images--a naked running child from a Napalm attack, a Viet Cong execution. I think these images had an impact. But they're someone's loved ones, too.

I'm still conflicted. It's a tough call. Document it to preserve it definitely. Then what?

Ntegrity
09-07-2005, 03:18 PM
When I looked at the picture of the woman in green from the other thread, with her tongue hanging out - it's obvious that she was someone who cared a great deal about her appearance. How awful that she will be remembered in such a horrible way. She deserves better than that.
Yes, she does. That's the picture that sticks in my mind too.

Details
09-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Can they blur the faces - I think it's still necessary to see the pictures, to know what happened - but I'd agree that it'd be rotten for the victims families to have that image as their last one of that person. A bit of fog will let the truth be known with minimal hurt. I think it's very important for people to see what happened, to maintain the outrage about what was not done, how so many died, not because of nature, but because of delay and a lack of manpower.

Ntegrity
09-07-2005, 03:47 PM
I think it's very important for people to see what happened, to maintain the outrage about what was not done, how so many died, not because of nature, but because of delay and a lack of manpower.
There's no way we'll ever know how many died because of those reasons. As I mentioned previously, many people who were interviewed before the storm were able to leave but chose not to -- for whatever reasons. I wanted to climb through the screen and smack the young woman holding her baby and saying she refused to leave!! It's easy to blame the government for all the death, but I've lived in hurricane alley my entire life and know that many people simply refuse to heed the warnings.

2luvmy
09-07-2005, 03:49 PM

Hi, Annie! Girls are great! Getting so big and independent. It ihas been fun to watch them grow up and sad at the same time.

I think it's very important for people to see what happened, to maintain the outrage about what was not done, how so many died, not because of nature, but because of delay and a lack of manpower.

I agree with the above posts. While it is sickening and disheartening and impersonal to be showing loved ones floating down the street or dead in a lounge chair, I do think they need to be shown. When our people where crying out for help in the superdome they wanted us to see the dead and dying. Why? To get the nation to see what was happening to them, to show our country and the world not only the devesation of property, but the devastation inflicted upon human life. Granted things should be shown on the after school hour...but they should be shown.

While the devastion and flooding of the city/buildings/structures/cars etc. amazes me to no end and tugs at my heartstrings, it is the human tragedy that helps me to understand/feel/realize the spectrum of this disaster. Homes can rebuilt and new material things acquired, and yes precious momentos are lost, but what is forever touched are the people who lived through the horrors of watching loved ones and neighbors die whether it be during the hurricane or the catostrophic aftermath and the fact that there will be/are so many that have left this earth never again to utter I love yous to family and friends and to continue to make their mark on the world.

This is real. Reality makes you wake up when you are smacked in the face with it.

jannuncutt
09-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Does anyone remember whether or not they showed those types of pictures of September 11th?

Olivia77
09-07-2005, 04:24 PM
We see images of death from other countries all of the time in the media to illustrate the ravages of hunger, war, violence, natural disaster, etc... Why is that acceptable journalism, but showing Americans is not?

Ntegrity
09-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Does anyone remember whether or not they showed those types of pictures of September 11th?
There were very few bodies after 9/11. The only ones I saw were firemen being carried off by their comrades. No civilians.

Casshew
09-07-2005, 04:31 PM
I don't think people should be gawking at the photos out of morbid curiosity, but I feel everyone should see photos so they can grasp the scope of this disaster.

I don't think people appreciate the destruction & human toll. A number is just a number, but a photo puts it in perspective.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-07-2005, 04:35 PM
I don't think people should be gawking at the photos out of morbid curiosity, but I feel everyone should see photos so they can grasp the scope of this disaster.

I don't think people appreciate the destruction & human toll. A number is just a number, but a photo puts it in perspective.

Very well said.

Details
09-07-2005, 04:54 PM
There were very few bodies after 9/11. The only ones I saw were firemen being carried off by their comrades. No civilians.Yeah, 9/11 you either were perfectly fine, or you were dust. Very few people left bodies, very few injuries. The blood banks at that time got an outpouring of donations that they had to outpour down the sink when they expired, because there was actually too much to use (BTW: don't let this stop you from donating, that was a one in a million occurrence - we've usually got quite a blood shortage in this country, one that sometimes does cost lives, and there are plenty of survivors of Katrina who will drain that shallow supply even further ((can you tell I feel guilty about not being able to give this time...))).

Beyond Belief
09-07-2005, 05:03 PM
http://www.wwltv.com/sharedcontent/breakingnews/slideshow/083005_dmnkatrina/1.html

Dara
09-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Yeah, 9/11 you either were perfectly fine, or you were dust. Very few people left bodies, very few injuries. The blood banks at that time got an outpouring of donations that they had to outpour down the sink when they expired, because there was actually too much to use (BTW: don't let this stop you from donating, that was a one in a million occurrence - we've usually got quite a blood shortage in this country, one that sometimes does cost lives, and there are plenty of survivors of Katrina who will drain that shallow supply even further ((can you tell I feel guilty about not being able to give this time...))).
Quite true. After 9/11, a similar question arose, and it arose immediately and continues. That first night, most stations weren't showing graphic images. I was scanning channels and caught on CBS a video of two people holding hands and falling to their deaths, after jumping. They are alive, but it's got to affect a loved one. I can still see it. There was a debate about showing those videos, and airing phone messages and 911 calls, etc. As I recall, some loved ones want them made public, some don't.

I can't donate blood, but my husband does regularly! Thanks to all donors!

Details
09-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Sounds like FEMA would prefer not even to release the numbers - I just heard this bit on CNN:
FEMA has set up a temporary morgue in the town of St. Gabriel, about 70 miles west of New Orleans. Officials at St. Gabriel would not disclose how many bodies they had handled so far.Sounds like they're in a pure CYA mode. :mad:

bulletgirl2002
09-07-2005, 08:54 PM
I don't want to see them....I know they exist and that is enough for me. I am sickened and offended without the visual.

marrigotti
09-07-2005, 09:11 PM
I don't want to see them....I know they exist and that is enough for me. I am sickened and offended without the visual.

I certainly don't see the need to see them either. I think most of us have seen enough to grasp the devastation.

Details
09-07-2005, 09:35 PM
I certainly don't see the need to see them either. I think most of us have seen enough to grasp the devastation.Most of us have - but I know there are people who aren't paying attention, or are blinded and won't believe without pictures (I know a guy on another board who insists the death estimates are all politics, doesn't think even 1000 have died :slap: ).

Linda7NJ
09-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Most of us have - but I know there are people who aren't paying attention, or are blinded and won't believe without pictures (I know a guy on another board who insists the death estimates are all politics, doesn't think even 1000 have died :slap: ).I just saw on TV that 25,000 body bags were just ordered& delivered. I think it was cnn.:(

Details
09-07-2005, 09:51 PM
I just saw on TV that 25,000 body bags were just ordered. I think it was cnn.:(I was pretty sure we were near the 10,000 range right from the time I saw the levee break and so many people on rooftops. You know that for every one you see, there are many others who didn't make it that far. And when the governor and everyone won't even guess at a death toll because they have to focus on the living (since so many of them are in danger of not continuing to be among the living) - that just proved it.

Linda7NJ
09-07-2005, 09:55 PM
I was pretty sure we were near the 10,000 range right from the time I saw the levee break and so many people on rooftops. You know that for every one you see, there are many others who didn't make it that far. And when the governor and everyone won't even guess at a death toll because they have to focus on the living (since so many of them are in danger of not continuing to be among the living) - that just proved it.
I agree, I fear the number of people that were trapped & drowned it attics is going to be astronomical

bulletgirl2002
09-07-2005, 09:57 PM
I was pretty sure we were near the 10,000 range right from the time I saw the levee break and so many people on rooftops. You know that for every one you see, there are many others who didn't make it that far. And when the governor and everyone won't even guess at a death toll because they have to focus on the living (since so many of them are in danger of not continuing to be among the living) - that just proved it.
That is a tragedy......truly a tragedy.......Why are we playing the blame game with a such a tragedy????? Why not a big group hug????? I am just SAD

Details
09-07-2005, 10:02 PM
That is a tragedy......truly a tragedy.......Why are we playing the blame game with a such a tragedy????? Why not a big group hug????? I am just SADBecause if we don't know why it happened, we can't prevent it from happening again. Someone in the chain of people to respond to this disaster killed probably hundereds of people - and must be prevented from ever doing so again. Knowing what went wrong is essential - we must know who is to blame for this.

Dara
09-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Boy, the PR machine has the phrase "blame game" working overtime. You should see the piece of the White House briefing I posted over there in the politics forum. Scott McClellan sounded like a mental patient. If you read how many times he said "blame game" and then committed a compound crime against good grammar and referred to "blame-gaming," you'd have to laugh.

How about if we call it the accountability exercise? Then can we find out why so many people died needlessly and try to prevent it from happening again? Or do we just want to let the powers that be try to shame us into not demanding answers by using some glib phrase?

marrigotti
09-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Most of us have - but I know there are people who aren't paying attention, or are blinded and won't believe without pictures (I know a guy on another board who insists the death estimates are all politics, doesn't think even 1000 have died :slap: ).

If the guy on the other board does not have the common sense, judging by how many people remained in New Orleans, to figure out that there were numerous deaths, he needs more than pictures. Not likely that each body would be photographed and personally presented for his edification.

Seabiscuit
09-08-2005, 12:02 AM
I do understand the issue of concern for relatives, but I think the pictures should be taken. I am reminded of Matthew Brady's photos of the Civil War or the photographs of the Holocaust. I guess I feel like we need to have some small understand of the horror and suffering of our fellow men and women.

Seabiscuit

Tom'sGirl
09-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Most of us have - but I know there are people who aren't paying attention, or are blinded and won't believe without pictures (I know a guy on another board who insists the death estimates are all politics, doesn't think even 1000 have died :slap: ).
A guy here on WS?

vanillasky
09-08-2005, 12:17 AM
On Another Board

A guy here on WS?

Tom'sGirl
09-08-2005, 12:20 AM
On Another Board
Oh whew, thanks!

Details
09-08-2005, 12:35 AM
There are quite a few more nutjobs over there. One guy who wants to give everyone in New Orleans $100,000 checks; that guy; a person who thinks it's horrible her precious son at SDSU will have to be breathing the same air as 600 New Orleans refugees, since all of them are criminals and thugs...

KrazyKollector
09-08-2005, 12:48 AM
More CYA from FEMA

Snip...

http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001055768Maybe , just maybe it's because the public broadcast of someone's loved one, in a diseased and decayed state is NOT the final image they need burned into their minds! They will picture many "images" of what they could and might have looked like, they don't need the visual affirmation!

Anyone who REALLY feels the need to look at the gore can always volunteer at the coroner's office or become an embalmer.
I've seen more dead bodies than I ever care to see. I don't need someone to have their heart ripped out just to satisfy a need for public voyeurism.

I can't believe anyone could/would even be so crass as to wonder about it.
I feel for the FEMA agent who had to explain something so simple to obvious idiots.

KrazyKollector
09-08-2005, 12:55 AM
The pictures of dead bodies lined up like cord wood, left rotting in the water or abandoned in a gutter are just what people NEED to see, because they are the reality of Hurrican Katrina. We should be sickened and offended. We should be angry.I am sickened and disgusted and VERY angry, but for a much different reason than you seem to be.

I could go on and try and show the utter banality of this "desire" to see rotted human flesh, but for the ones who see it, they don't need it and the ones who don't see it, never will.

KrazyKollector
09-08-2005, 01:17 AM
I do understand the issue of concern for relatives, but I think the pictures should be taken. I am reminded of Matthew Brady's photos of the Civil War or the photographs of the Holocaust. I guess I feel like we need to have some small understand of the horror and suffering of our fellow men and women.

SeabiscuitA bit of a difference between the Holocaust and a natural disaster. The Holocaust was because of people. The Civil War is documented by pictures because there is very little else except writings to show that history.
Both happened before the advent of live TV. We had front seats to the tsunami and to Katrina. The DVDs will be the history.

I didn't need to see the 3000 bodies of 9/11 to know they died. But, going by some posters here (not just you Sea), it must not have happened because all we see is dust. We don't appreciate what happened because we didn't get a jump by jump play by play?
I don't need to see the thousands killed by this storm anynore than I need to see the bodies of the tsunami victims.
When the names scroll by or are read off a long, long list, I will see and see in my dreams the faces of the dead.

It must be me. I am just shaking my head at how a few seem to be drooling in anticipation of wanting to see the gore. :truce:
Must have been the Winnebago fire that burned to the axles, trapping the wheelchair bound woman and the dog who stayed with her. Bringing her out of there cured me of ever "needing" to see the gore. :silenced:

Details
09-08-2005, 01:23 AM
I am sickened and disgusted and VERY angry, but for a much different reason than you seem to be.

I could go on and try and show the utter banality of this "desire" to see rotted human flesh, but for the ones who see it, they don't need it and the ones who don't see it, never will.You seem to be seeing negative motives, and rather disgusting ones, where none exist. Sorry, but words do not convey what pictures do. Some people won't believe it without a picture, some people won't read, but will see the picture, and words alone, however well written still can't convey the tragedy that happened here.

Remember that travelling exhibition of lynching photos? People who thought they knew all they needed to about race relations and such came out of viewing those shaken and changed. A picture has a meaning that just reading does not.

Mabel
09-08-2005, 01:29 AM
A bit of a difference between the Holocaust and a natural disaster. The Holocaust was because of people. The Civil War is documented by pictures because there is very little else except writings to show that history.
Both happened before the advent of live TV. We had front seats to the tsunami and to Katrina. The DVDs will be the history.

I didn't need to see the 3000 bodies of 9/11 to know they died. But, going by some posters here (not just you Sea), it must not have happened because all we see is dust. We don't appreciate what happened because we didn't get a jump by jump play by play?
I don't need to see the thousands killed by this storm anynore than I need to see the bodies of the tsunami victims.
When the names scroll by or are read off a long, long list, I will see and see in my dreams the faces of the dead.

It must be me. I am just shaking my head at how a few seem to be drooling in anticipation of wanting to see the gore. :truce:
Must have been the Winnebago fire that burned to the axles, trapping the wheelchair bound woman and the dog who stayed with her. Bringing her out of there cured me of ever "needing" to see the gore. :silenced:

After 9/11 there were many montages made using pictures of the victims while they were alive. The smiling faces, the happy families, the proud graduates, etc....that was enough to show the magnitude of the loss.

KrazyKollector
09-08-2005, 02:06 AM
After 9/11 there were many montages made using pictures of the victims while they were alive. The smiling faces, the happy families, the proud graduates, etc....that was enough to show the magnitude of the loss.Now that sounds much better to me.

Nova
09-08-2005, 02:23 AM
There is a middle ground between hiding the dead (and therefore death itself along with its causes) and showing close-ups of every corpse.

Bobbisangel
09-08-2005, 06:22 AM
I am sickened and offended -- by the horrific natural disaster named KATRINA. I still wouldn't want my family to be shown like some of those poor souls on ogrish.com. I can assure you that I wouldn't want to be on there with people gawking at me either.

It is easy for people to say that they would want their dead loved one shown on TV but they really wouldn't...if it was their loved one. Those people are going to be in horrible condition when they are finally recovered. It doesn't matter how your loved one died....it is horrible to see your loved one being displayed on TV with no dignity or anything else.

When my daughter was murdered I saw pictures in the newspaper of her car and I could see one of her feet on the ground as she had her car door open and had had both feet on the ground. When she was shot she fell over and pulled one of her legs up but the other foot was still flat on the ground. It was hard enough to see that. Then a few nights later we were watching the news on a station that we didn't usually watch. They showed a video of my daughter in a body bag and I could see the bottom of her shoe pushing against the end of the bag. I can't begin to explain what that did to me to see her in that body bag. It traumatized me all over again. I will never forget it...ever...and the shock I felt. That was my baby girl in that bag for God's sake. No, you folks might think you would want your dead bloated loved ones shown on tv but believe me....you really wouldn't. I wouldn't want to see them either. I don't think that we have to see that horror for this to be a reality. I'm sure that the media whores would disagree with me. They could care less how that would affect the families of the dead....as long as their ratings stay up.

Bobbisangel
09-08-2005, 06:33 AM
Can they blur the faces - I think it's still necessary to see the pictures, to know what happened - but I'd agree that it'd be rotten for the victims families to have that image as their last one of that person. A bit of fog will let the truth be known with minimal hurt. I think it's very important for people to see what happened, to maintain the outrage about what was not done, how so many died, not because of nature, but because of delay and a lack of manpower.

I think it would be alright if they filmed the dead being brought out on stretchers...covered with sheets.....or on the ground covered with sheets.
I don't know their plan of recovery....but as long as they are covered it would still be reality when you see body after body. I don't think that the person should be shown though.

Remember when all of those coffins covered with flags arrived and the news was filming them? I didn't see anything wrong with that because it did make the war a reality.....all of those men and women gone...but we didn't see their bodies. On the other hand, I didn't have a child in one of those coffins.

less0305
09-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Oh, BobbisAngel...... Hugs, hugs, hugs!!!!!! That's a horrible situation to face and so heartbreaking. I can't even imagine how heartbreaking your ordeal must have been. Thank you for sharing your pain because it helps to put things in perspective, but I know it must have been hard to even put that memory to type even. Bless you, hon.

Ntegrity
09-08-2005, 07:55 AM
Yes, thank you Bobbisangel. I can only try to imagine how painful that would be. My thought, when posting my objections to photos earlier, was of seeing my precious baby granddaughters' pictures splattered across the television or the internet. I simply couldn't bear it. :(

Gabby
09-08-2005, 08:13 AM
That was my baby girl in that bag for God's sake.

My heart breaks for you Bobbisangel... God Bless You...

2luvmy
09-08-2005, 08:17 AM
Hugs to you bobbisangel.

I am one believing the dead should be shown. I did not mean that they should be shown, just as they are found - up close and personal, but how others have described - under a sheet, from a distance. I just feel that not showing anything is a sign of disrespect, like sweeping them under the rug as if they did not exist at all.

Eventually as most are identified,, I would also like to see a video montage. I want to see who these people were. They mean something to someone.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-08-2005, 08:45 AM
Bobbisangel,

Thank you for bringing a personal story to this. That is why I said early on that there needs to be some discretion taken. There are many reasons why people don't deal well with seeing dead bodies in all types of situations.

I absolutely agree with those that say there need to be pictures, for historical purposes. I just so hope it's not done for sensationalistic/sales reasons.

Linda7NJ
09-08-2005, 10:24 AM
"DMort is telling us to expect up to 40,000 bodies," Dan Buckner, a funeral home director, said, quoting officials with the Disaster Mortuary Operational Response Team, a volunteer arm of the Department of Homeland Security.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46175

less0305
09-08-2005, 10:33 AM
"DMort is telling us to expect up to 40,000 bodies," Dan Buckner, a funeral home director, said, quoting officials with the Disaster Mortuary Operational Response Team, a volunteer arm of the Department of Homeland Security.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46175

Which is why I don't believe 80% of N.O. voluntarily evacuated. I don't know how Mayor Nagin knew how many people actually evacuated.