PDA

View Full Version : Another way to help Hurricane Katrina victims

bakerprune64
09-07-2005, 03:55 PM
I just came back from donating blood at the local BloodSource office. They are shipping blood out daily to the areas surrounding New Orleans. They said they will continue drawing and shipping blood for the next several months to the areas surrounding new orleans and along the gulf coast. Just a thought:p

Details
09-07-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm a regular donor (unavailable now, unfortnuately) - if anyone wants to, but is scared, or has some questions or worries, PM me or whatever, I've been through it gallons and gallons of times (going for that 10 gallon club membership before too much longer), and I know all the pitfalls.

bakerprune64
09-07-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm a regular donor (unavailable now, unfortnuately) - if anyone wants to, but is scared, or has some questions or worries, PM me or whatever, I've been through it gallons and gallons of times (going for that 10 gallon club membership before too much longer), and I know all the pitfalls.
I'll make my one gallon mark in November.

Details
09-07-2005, 05:41 PM
I'll make my one gallon mark in November.Good work! It's a great form of charity - doesn't require you to be rich, nor to have much in the line of spare time. If all you've got is your health, you can help.

bulletgirl2002
09-07-2005, 08:56 PM
I have never donated in my 47 years, but this Friday I am going to do so.....and I am taking a friend that doesn' t drive who is B+ ( a rare type I think)

Details
09-07-2005, 09:10 PM
That's great. Make sure you have eaten something that day, and that you have had enough to drink (water) - when you are dehydrated, it's harder for them to find a vein, leading to a less pleasant experience there, and you are more likely to feel bad after donating if you are dehydrated. Start it well, and you most likely won't even notice any problems at all. I'll tell you that in my experience the worst part is just the little finger stick they do at the start (to test your iron level) - drawing the blood itself isn't bad at all.

B+ is good - but they badly need all types, especially O- and O+. Since most of the population is one of those types, they're always in demand, and O- is the universal donor - they can use that on anyone, and often do use that when it's an emergency and they don't have time to wait to get a blood type.

Linda7NJ
09-07-2005, 09:11 PM
I come from a long line of blood donor's, I live very close to a hospital. I make every blood drive and have since I broke 100 pounds my senior year in high school !

I've been trying to convince my hubby, but ...well...ummm. he's a big SISSY!

Details
09-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Awww, it's not that hard! Drag him in! He should give it a try at least once, he'll find out it's not as bad as he thinks. Although - technically speaking, men are bigger wimps about pain than women. One of those little funny biological quirks.

I've been doing it since I was old enough too (breaking 100 pounds wasn't hard - I'm 5'11" and I got tall early). I brought my mom in with my my first time for her first time.

bulletgirl2002
09-07-2005, 09:27 PM
That's great. Make sure you have eaten something that day, and that you have had enough to drink (water) - when you are dehydrated, it's harder for them to find a vein, leading to a less pleasant experience there, and you are more likely to feel bad after donating if you are dehydrated. Start it well, and you most likely won't even notice any problems at all. I'll tell you that in my experience the worst part is just the little finger stick they do at the start (to test your iron level) - drawing the blood itself isn't bad at all.

B+ is good - but they badly need all types, especially O- and O+. Since most of the population is one of those types, they're always in demand, and O- is the universal donor - they can use that on anyone, and often do use that when it's an emergency and they don't have time to wait to get a blood type.

Oh good. I am O+. thanks for the infomation....

Details
09-07-2005, 09:30 PM
So am I. They're always glad to see the O's.

Linda7NJ
09-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Awww, it's not that hard! Drag him in! He should give it a try at least once, he'll find out it's not as bad as he thinks. Although - technically speaking, men are bigger wimps about pain than women. One of those little funny biological quirks.

I've been doing it since I was old enough too (breaking 100 pounds wasn't hard - I'm 5'11" and I got tall early). I brought my mom in with my my first time for her first time.
I am ashamed to admit I began donating in high school because donors got to leave school early and I had a really hot boyfriend! LOL It wasn't until later I appreciated the real reason for doing it.

Details
09-07-2005, 10:00 PM
I am ashamed to admit I began donating in high school because donors got to leave school early and I had a really hot boyfriend! LOL It wasn't until later I appreciated the real reason for doing it.I did it because I liked Heinlein, and read that that was his pet cause. And it was a great way to get out of the heavy yard work for a weekend (no heavy lifting, right?).