PDA

View Full Version : Mayor, Governor at Odds Over Evacuation

Beyond Belief
09-07-2005, 05:52 PM
NEW ORLEANS — Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco (search (javascript:siteSearch('Gov. Kathleen Blanco');)) seemed at odds with New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin (search (javascript:siteSearch('Ray Nagin');) ) Wednesday, hours after the mayor ordered the mandatory evacuation of the crippled Crescent City by force if necessary.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168644,00.html

DEPUTYDAWG
09-07-2005, 05:56 PM
NEW ORLEANS — Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco (search (javascript:siteSearch('Gov. Kathleen Blanco');)) seemed at odds with New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin (search (javascript:siteSearch('Ray Nagin');) ) Wednesday, hours after the mayor ordered the mandatory evacuation of the crippled Crescent City by force if necessary.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168644,00.html

At the very basic level, I am "Beyond Belief." Should these two, right in the gut-wrenching heart of all this, be joined at the hip on matters such as these?

concernedperson
09-07-2005, 06:00 PM
I don't know what is up with Kathleen but she has already committed political suicide. These stallings and committee meetings are fine for little issues as far as sugar cane farmers getting subsidies.But this is life and death and the longer they have holdouts the more probability of massive disease will rear its head.

That includes people who are responding to the disaster. Everyone.....

tipper
09-07-2005, 06:21 PM
[...]
But in a Wednesday interview with FOX News, Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco (search (javascript:siteSearch('Gov. Kathleen Blanco');)) said she had not signed off on the decision.
"The mayor certainly has ordered that but the governor, and that would be me, would have to enforce it or implement it. We are trying to determine whether there is an absolute justification for that," she told FOX News.

"I think the most important thing driving that decision would be the possibility of disease. If indeed the disease problem is evident, is inevitable, we'll have to move to the next stage," she said.

And developments suggest that "next stage" may come soon. Floodwaters in New Orleans contain bacteria associated with sewage that are at least 10 times higher than acceptable safety levels, making direct contact by rescue workers and remaining residents dangerous, the first government tests confirmed Wednesday. [...]

How did this woman ever get elected?

Beyond Belief
09-07-2005, 06:23 PM
I am wondering...I am only speaking with a little knowledge, but wouldn't a person have to leave if their property was condemned by the Board of Health?

If the Gov. condemns the entire town what will the ramifications be with the insurance industry? Is there more to consider here than meets the eye?

Jeana (DP)
09-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Can you imagine if you're holding up in your home trying to save what you can and you don't want to leave and then you hear first that you're going to be physically forced out of your home, then you hear, nope, the mayor got trumped by the governor - no one knows what the hell is going on!!!! Someone who knows what they're doing needs to step in and tell them all to shut the hell up until some FINAL DECISIONS have been made!!!!!!!!~!

kgeaux
09-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Can you imagine if you're holding up in your home trying to save what you can and you don't want to leave and then you hear first that you're going to be physically forced out of your home, then you hear, nope, the mayor got trumped by the governor - no one knows what the hell is going on!!!! Someone who knows what they're doing needs to step in and tell them all to shut the hell up until some FINAL DECISIONS have been made!!!!!!!!~!

It's all politics. Nagin is a deomocrat on paper, but he supported Bobby Jindal for governor, not Kathleen Blanco. And of course, disaster continues to compound while Ms. Blanco engages in a face-off with Bush and Nagin. Shame on them! They need to get together in a room and finally decide to put the people of New Orleans first.

concernedperson
09-07-2005, 06:55 PM
It's all politics. Nagin is a deomocrat on paper, but he supported Bobby Jindal for governor, not Kathleen Blanco. And of course, disaster continues to compound while Ms. Blanco engages in a face-off with Bush and Nagin. Shame on them! They need to get together in a room and finally decide to put the people of New Orleans first.

I am pretty disgusted with the whole lot of them.

marrigotti
09-07-2005, 06:56 PM
The governor and the mayor are looking worse by the minute.

mjak
09-07-2005, 07:05 PM

These politicians need to take the fingers they keep pointing at each other and start pointing at there brains then maybe they will remember where they are and start using them.

JBean
09-07-2005, 07:18 PM
The governor and the mayor are looking worse by the minute. well, I am looking at my own governor and mayor now and want to know what our plan is. is it good enough? will they be able to evacuate the southland in an earthquake?

marrigotti
09-07-2005, 07:23 PM
I think LA would be even more of a mess than SF...imagine the freeways.

mjak
09-07-2005, 07:25 PM
well, I am looking at my own governor and mayor now and want to know what our plan is. is it good enough? will they be able to evacuate the southland in an earthquake?
Excellent questions. I think this is the kind of questioning that needs to be done so that we can address all problem areas and in the even of a catastophe be as prepared as possible.

mjak

JBean
09-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Excellent questions. I think this is the kind of questioning that needs to be done so that we can address all problem areas and in the even of a catastophe be as prepared as possible.

mjakI hate to say it but the information I have gotten so far is not encouraging. I have amped up my personal supplies and added more complex equipment to it to become more self sufficient. but it won't help me if I cannot get to it or my family and my state doesn't have my back.

bakerprune64
09-07-2005, 07:54 PM
"The mayor certainly has ordered that but the governor, and that would be me, would have to enforce it or implement it. We are trying to determine whether there is an absolute justification for that," she told FOX News.

"I think the most important thing driving that decision would be the possibility of disease. If indeed the disease problem is evident, is inevitable, we'll have to move to the next stage," she said.

I think that the absolute justification should be the fact that the officials are saying that the water is unsafe to be in contact with, there are dead bodies rotting everywhere, the air quality is poor, the bacteria levels are 10 times higher than what is considered safe and the lead levels are extremely high. Toxic mold is starting to spawn in the walls, floors, etc. of places that were flooded (even thought they may now be dry.) IMO, the Mayor has the right idea. My counsins who's house was flooded to the second floor, were allowed back in yesterday to take some prized posessions and board up their home. It's just not worth your life to stay and take your chances.

marrigotti
09-07-2005, 08:13 PM
These politicians need to take the fingers they keep pointing at each other and start pointing at there brains then maybe they will remember where they are and start using them.

Today's Wall Street Journal absolutely blasted both Blanco and Nagin.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007219

concernedperson
09-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Did they like Brown? Just a thought.

marrigotti
09-07-2005, 08:23 PM

I posted a link. Read and decide for yourself.

concernedperson
09-07-2005, 08:30 PM
I think I am lost in a sea of obscurity. I feel that not enough value is placed on human lives. I am, as well as others doing the blame game. We are missing a bigger picture. Even though their lives weren't what we would want it is their lives, their pain, their destruction. The little things we feel are inconsequential are double in importence to them.It isn't even about what is your life worth, it is about what made you worthy. I did world war 2 or I was in Vietnam or I have 5 children or I created a garden near the cemetary or I was there when Antoines celebrated their 80th year or I ate red beans and rice at Mother's. It is all part and parcel to what makes a city sing and their loss and devastation is in my heart. So sorry for being dramatic but this isn't an easy answer.

Dara
09-07-2005, 08:36 PM
I'm looked up about Bob Williams and the first hits were for his Evergreen Freedom Foundation (http://www.effwa.org/main/page.php) and Media Transparency (http://www.mediatransparency.org/default.php). This is what the latter says:

When is a think tank not a think tank? In the case of the Olympia, Washington based Evergreen Freedom Foundation (EFF), it’s when a group that purports to be public interest policy organization turns out to be a private interest law firm for a few contributors.

Evergreen, which enjoys 501 (c) (3) nonprofit tax status, claims in its literature and on its web site to be a "public policy research organization" – a local think tank claiming support from some 2,500 donors. On it tax returns, Evergreen describes its mission as "educational research and analysis." Newsletters and fundraising mail tout Evergreen’s advice to Washington state legislators on budget and tax issues, reducing growth management regulations, and privatizing public services, including schools. The tidy mission of a public policy group, however, is merely Evergreen’s public face.

In truth, Evergreen has built its revenue base and committed much of its expenses on a seven-year public relations and legal campaign to curb the Washington Education Association (http://www.wa.nea.org/)’s (WEA) use of dues for political purposes – the country’s most sustained and targeted "paycheck protection" campaign (http://www.effwa.org/tppreport/). Much of Evergreen’s work -- and its subsequent expenses and its fundraising – is tied to legal complaints in the courts and in Washington state’s Public Disclosure Commission. Evergreen carries on an agenda driven by its president, former Republican state legislator Bob Williams – an unsuccessful gubernatorial and congressional candidate -- and executed by Evergreen’s staff of active Republican political operatives and insiders.

Just adding to the mix of info. Evaluate for yourself.

marrigotti
09-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Sorry, I am not following you.

Dara
09-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Are you addressing me?

If so, what's to follow? An article was posted. I was curious about the author. I found his own website and posted the link. I found a blurb about the foundation and posted a snippet with the link.

concernedperson

Where is your heart?

Liz

I think this is a big part of the big problem from the get-go!

Besides the fact that this is a castrophe of epic proportions, there's been NO LEADERSHIP, NO COMMAND, NO CONTROL and NO COMMUNICATIONS.

Or at least very damn little!

marrigotti
09-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Are you addressing me?

If so, what's to follow? An article was posted. I was curious about the author. I found his own website and posted the link. I found a blurb about the foundation and posted a snippet with the link.

No, Dara, I was not addressing you. We must have been posting at the same time.

marrigotti
09-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Where is your heart?

I don't follow your post or your question.

concernedperson
09-07-2005, 09:11 PM
I don't follow your post or your question.
I am just asking you to post how you feel as a person. Not a representative of another site just you as a person. You don't have to, of course, I was just interested.

Dara
09-07-2005, 09:19 PM
No, Dara, I was not addressing you. We must have been posting at the same time.
Thanks. I wanted to make sure. I try to check out sources, but haven't been doing so because of the overwhelming amount of information. Now, as more solid (?) information is starting to come out, I like to get a handle on who is saying what.

marrigotti
09-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks. I wanted to make sure. I try to check out sources, but haven't been doing so because of the overwhelming amount of information. Now, as more solid (?) information is starting to come out, I like to get a handle on who is saying what.

Yes, I can understand that. It is wise. What I am doing is trying to get input from a number of different points of view.

Dara
09-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Yes, I can understand that. It is wise. What I am doing is trying to get input from a number of different points of view.
Me, too. I'm reading everything. I skipped one story earlier because I was warned it had a conservative slant and I wasn't in the mood at that moment (blame Chertoff). But I'm reading everything I have time for. The Bob Williams piece, though, raised a slight red flag as some other indictments of the local and state government didn't.

marrigotti
09-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Me, too. I'm reading everything. I skipped one story earlier because I was warned it had a conservative slant and I wasn't in the mood at that moment (blame Chertoff). But I'm reading everything I have time for. The Bob Williams piece, though, raised a slight red flag as some other indictments of the local and state government didn't.

I don't know if you saw this piece, but I learned some interesting things from it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/343324p-292991c.html

Shadow205
09-07-2005, 09:55 PM
You Go Girl!!!! I think that you need to go down there and set some butts straight!

Dara
09-07-2005, 09:56 PM
I don't know if you saw this piece, but I learned some interesting things from it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/343324p-292991c.html
I'm reading now. Thank you.

He sheds even more light one of more complex tragedies of this disaster: why so many people were left in NO (which was predicted!).

And I haven't known much about LA politics. I saw (one of my favorite movies) The Big Easy, but that's fiction. When this started, I knew little of LA and NO. I'd been to NO once and didn't like it at all (I understand why others do). So I'm eager to learn more.

Tom'sGirl
09-07-2005, 09:59 PM
well, I am looking at my own governor and mayor now and want to know what our plan is. is it good enough? will they be able to evacuate the southland in an earthquake?Good question JB, think I'll try inquiring. Just a few of our counties are larger than some states. O/T Did hear today that Arnie vetoed the Gay Marriage thing.

JBean
09-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Today's Wall Street Journal absolutely blasted both Blanco and Nagin.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007219This is a great article.

JBean
09-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Good question JB, think I'll try inquiring. Just a few of our counties are larger than some states. O/T Did hear today that Arnie vetoed the Gay Marriage thing.No I thought it passed???
I hear our plan is not a good one.

Tom'sGirl
09-07-2005, 10:40 PM
No I thought it passed???
I hear our plan is not a good one.
Let me check, I have 3 T.V.'s going, maybe I heard wrong......probably did!

Tom'sGirl
09-07-2005, 10:46 PM
No I thought it passed???
I hear our plan is not a good one.Schwarzenegger Will Veto Gay-Marriage Bill

By Nancy Vogel, Times Staff Writer

SAN FRANCISCO — Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger will veto the bill permitting same-sex marriages, his press secretary said this afternoon.

Noting that voters approved a proposition that said marriage was between a man and a woman, spokeswoman Margita Thompson said the governor believes the state "cannot have a system where the people vote and the Legislature derails that vote."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-marriage8sep08,0,7314785.story?coll=la-home-headlines (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-marriage8sep08,0,7314785.story?coll=la-home-headlines)

JBean
09-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Let me check, I have 3 T.V.'s going, maybe I heard wrong......probably did!Sorry I had just seen it was ok'd on the front page of the Register. It probably went to ARnold and maybe he kaboshed it?

sorry for the OT everyone

JBean
09-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Sorry I had just seen it was ok'd on the front page of the Register. It probably went to ARnold and maybe he kaboshed it?

sorry for the OT everyoneI posted at the same time as you and answered my own question! lol thanks!

Tom'sGirl
09-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Sorry I had just seen it was ok'd on the front page of the Register. It probably went to ARnold and maybe he kaboshed it?

sorry for the OT everyoneI apologize, I brought it up and it was O/T and stupid of me........again, sorry!

marrigotti
09-07-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm reading now. Thank you.

He sheds even more light one of more complex tragedies of this disaster: why so many people were left in NO (which was predicted!).

And I haven't known much about LA politics. I saw (one of my favorite movies) The Big Easy, but that's fiction. When this started, I knew little of LA and NO. I'd been to NO once and didn't like it at all (I understand why others do). So I'm eager to learn more.

I am glad to hear this, Dara. There really are some severe local problems with all of this. When I read this thing, I could somewhat understand the reluctance to give untold loads of money to the state given its track record. I read or heard elsewhere that the levee issue has been a source of concern since the days of Teddy Roosevelt, but hasn't really be properly responded to by any president.

Dara
09-07-2005, 10:55 PM
I am glad to hear this, Dara. There really are some severe local problems with all of this. When I read this thing, I could somewhat understand the reluctance to give untold loads of money to the state given its track record. I read or heard elsewhere that the levee issue has been a source of concern since the days of Teddy Roosevelt, but hasn't really be properly responded to by any president.
Earlier, I thought about starting a whole thread about the levee problem. I mentioned it to another poster. It's such a complex issue, and it comes up and gets dropped and the links just get buried. But I don't think the topic specific threads get many responses. Or I'd be starting one for each major issue (Nagin/buses, who can do what, etc), because I am just that Type A.

I like to group things and have everything in its place. But it doesn't work in every setting, lol.

marrigotti
09-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Earlier, I thought about starting a whole thread about the levee problem. I mentioned it to another poster. It's such a complex issue, and it comes up and gets dropped and the links just get buried. But I don't think the topic specific threads get many responses. Or I'd be starting one for each major issue (Nagin/buses, who can do what, etc), because I am just that Type A.

I like to group things and have everything in its place. But it doesn't work in every setting, lol.

Sounds like a great idea. Part of the problem is we are covering so much that our links are getting lost. Would be great to look back at a narrower topic and be able to quickly locate them.

Dara
09-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Part of the problem is we are covering so much that our links are getting lost. Would be great to look back at a narrower topic and be able to quickly locate them.
WSers are great at picking apart topics, so maybe as the rawness calms down some (big) topical threads will get started.

2sisters
09-07-2005, 11:18 PM
I for one am glad they are clearing out NO. If people stay it will only mean a severe disease outbreak. BIloxi already has a dysetary outbreak and the water there isn't nearly as dirty. I think Ray Nagin and Kathleen Blanco have communtication issues and need to get on the same page.

bulletgirl2002
09-07-2005, 11:32 PM
I read somewhere that the Mississippi River is trying to change its course and the Corps of Engineers is dregging it to stop this change in course. I dont really understand this, but this sounds bad to try to fool with mother nature.

SieSie
09-07-2005, 11:56 PM

I'm with you Dara, I like to have things organized, too - it just makes it easier to discuss the various topics that arise. I guess that means I'm a "Type A" personality, too?? LOL. Maybe that's why we're so frustrated that nothing was organized - it's easier to get things done with organization (IMO).

SieSie
09-08-2005, 12:58 AM
Can Mayors and Governors be "fired", or would there be an impeachment hearing like with Presidents?? TIA.

JBean
09-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Can Mayors and Governors be "fired", or would there be an impeachment hearing like with Presidents?? TIA.Ask Grey Davis. He was successfully recalled in CA.

Tom'sGirl
09-08-2005, 01:18 AM
Ask Grey Davis. He was successfully recalled in CA.You beat me to it JB :laugh:

KrazyKollector
09-08-2005, 01:41 AM
[...]
But in a Wednesday interview with FOX News, Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco (search (http://javascript<b></b>:siteSearch('Gov.%20Kathleen%20Blanco');)) said she had not signed off on the decision.

And developments suggest that "next stage" may come soon. Floodwaters in New Orleans contain bacteria associated with sewage that are at least 10 times higher than acceptable safety levels, making direct contact by rescue workers and remaining residents dangerous, the first government tests confirmed Wednesday. [...]

How did this woman ever get elected?I don't know but I hope someone sends her a quarter so she can buy a clue!
She's a :loser: :bang: :razz:

JBean
09-08-2005, 01:49 AM
I don't know but I hope someone sends her a quarter so she can buy a clue!
She's a :loser: :bang: :razz::twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

KrazyKollector
09-08-2005, 02:04 AM
:twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:Thank you for donating the money to her cause JB! You know, as corrupt as I have read LA politicos can be, you may never get your change from that?
Don't worry though. It will go to a good cause. I think the Gov needs some cents (sense). Maybe even scents. But I have no clue which kind she wears.
Is there one called Clueless?

less0305
09-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Can Mayors and Governors be "fired", or would there be an impeachment hearing like with Presidents?? TIA.

It would require a recall election. I think there has to be so many voters petition for a recall election and then someone else to be put up against that particular officer (mayor or Governor) and that other person would have to win by votes.

Ntegrity
09-08-2005, 07:53 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I think the Gov needs some cents (sense). Maybe even scents. But I have no clue which kind she wears.

Gabby
09-08-2005, 08:29 AM
I read somewhere that the Mississippi River is trying to change its course and the Corps of Engineers is dregging it to stop this change in course. I dont really understand this, but this sounds bad to try to fool with mother nature.

Changing the course of the Mississippi caused the wetlands that helped protect New Orleans to be dried up.... you are right, it isn't nice to fool with Mother Nature.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-08-2005, 08:40 AM
Thank you for donating the money to her cause JB! You know, as corrupt as I have read LA politicos can be, you may never get your change from that?
Don't worry though. It will go to a good cause. I think the Gov needs some cents (sense). Maybe even scents. But I have no clue which kind she wears.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good ones, KK!

I don't know about Clueless, but there's always Brittney's "Curious." We can make that apply as well in Blanco's case.... :eek:

TexMex
09-08-2005, 08:55 AM
ABC NEWS

NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 6, 2005 — In New Orleans, those in peril and those in power have pointed the finger squarely at the federal government for the delayed relief effort.

But experts say when natural disasters strike, it is the primary responsibility of state and local governments — not the federal government — to respond.

New Orleans' own comprehensive emergency plan raises the specter of "having large numbers of people … stranded" and promises "the city … will utilize all available resources to quickly and safely evacuate threatened areas."

"Special arrangements will be made to evacuate persons unable to transport themselves," the plan states.

When Hurricane Katrina hit, however, that plan was not followed completely.

Instead of sending city buses to evacuate those who could not make it out on their own, people in New Orleans were told to go to the Superdome and the Convention Center, where no one provided sufficient sustenance or security.

'Lives Would Have Been Saved'

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said "80 percent" of the city was evacuated before the storm hit, but Bob Williams says that's not good enough.

Williams dealt with emergency response issues as a state representative in Washington when his district was forced to deal with the eruption of Mount St. Helens in 1980.

"If the plan were implemented, lives would have been saved," Williams said.

There's no question the federal government plays a major role in disaster relief. But federal officials say in order to get involved, they must first be asked to do so by state officials.

As one FEMA official told ABC News, Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco failed to submit a request for help in a timely manner.

Shortly before Katrina hit, she sent President Bush a request asking for shelter and provisions, but didn't specifically ask for help with evacuations. One aide to the governor told ABC News today Blanco thought city officials were taking care of the evacuation.

Larkit
09-08-2005, 09:21 AM
I'm looked up about Bob Williams and the first hits were for his Evergreen Freedom Foundation (http://www.effwa.org/main/page.php) and Media Transparency (http://www.mediatransparency.org/default.php). This is what the latter says:

[b]

Just adding to the mix of info. Evaluate for yourself.
The info is good news indeed. I'm pleased to learn they're doing something highly worthwhile.

Larkit
09-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Why would you blame Chertoff?

Larkit
09-08-2005, 09:30 AM
The New Orleans Levee Board was given $300,000,000 for levee improvement by the Bush administration. Instead of shoring up the levees, the city spent it on other things, including a casino, a courthouse, a plane for the mayor and his staff and some other things. They still had some of the money left when the levees broke last week.

Dara
09-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Why would you blame Chertoff?
Is that a serious question?

kgeaux
09-08-2005, 09:39 AM
It would require a recall election. I think there has to be so many voters petition for a recall election and then someone else to be put up against that particular officer (mayor or Governor) and that other person would have to win by votes.

There's no organized call for anything like that yet, but you ought to hear the talk around town! Everyone is more concerned now that the people who have lost their homes and jobs receive the help that they need, but once all of that is taken care of, watch out. Kathleen Blanco has commited political suicide. Nagin, I'm not too sure about. I'm not hearing as much about him.

We are all so damn embarrassed that the leadership of Louisiana is so inept. Once again, we are a joke when it comes to doing things right.

Poor Kathleen has spent her career trying to attract business and industry to Louisiana, and who would want to come now? "Come to Louisiana, put your children in our under-performing schools, Relocate here and we will watch you drown when the next hurricane washes through!"

kgeaux
09-08-2005, 09:41 AM
The New Orleans Levee Board was given $300,000,000 for levee improvement by the Bush administration. Instead of shoring up the levees, the city spent it on other things, including a casino, a courthouse, a plane for the mayor and his staff and some other things. They still had some of the money left when the levees broke last week.

This is a HUGE problem in Lousiana. Money rolls in and gets deposited in the "general fund" and politicians spend it on pet projects instead of the intended purpose.

Ask us about the money from gambling, that should be spent on education. The money from the tobacco settlement, should be spent on education. Our teachers are dreadfully underpaid because the money isn't there. Where is it? Who knows?

DEPUTYDAWG
09-08-2005, 09:52 AM
There's no organized call for anything like that yet, but you ought to hear the talk around town! Everyone is more concerned now that the people who have lost their homes and jobs receive the help that they need, but once all of that is taken care of, watch out. Kathleen Blanco has commited political suicide. Nagin, I'm not too sure about. I'm not hearing as much about him.

We are all so damn embarrassed that the leadership of Louisiana is so inept. Once again, we are a joke when it comes to doing things right.

Poor Kathleen has spent her career trying to attract business and industry to Louisiana, and who would want to come now? "Come to Louisiana, put your children in our under-performing schools, Relocate here and we will watch you drown when the next hurricane washes through!"

Well, I for one, have always enjoyed my trips to LA! :)

Upon reading a link last night about Blanco's background, it said that as Lt. Gov, she primarily focused on tourism.

And as Governor, a major focus of hers has been the New Orlean Saints, and the stadium. I'll have to go read it again and get the quote; but basically, she wanted a new stadium to replace the Superdome, I believe. Well, that political goal has now been met.... :banghead:

kgeaux
09-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Well, I for one, have always enjoyed my trips to LA! :)

Upon reading a link last night about Blanco's background, it said that as Lt. Gov, she primarily focused on tourism.

And as Governor, a major focus of hers has been the New Orlean Saints, and the stadium. I'll have to go read it again and get the quote; but basically, she wanted a new stadium to replace the Superdome, I believe. Well, that political goal has now been met.... :banghead:

The Saints have been holding her hostage. They will leave Lousiana, or so they say, if they don't get a fancy new stadium. This has been going on for years! I say, who cares?!? They don't do anything but lose anyway! Let 'em go!

DEPUTYDAWG
09-08-2005, 09:54 AM
This is a HUGE problem in Lousiana. Money rolls in and gets deposited in the "general fund" and politicians spend it on pet projects instead of the intended purpose.

Ask us about the money from gambling, that should be spent on education. The money from the tobacco settlement, should be spent on education. Our teachers are dreadfully underpaid because the money isn't there. Where is it? Who knows?

Don't feel all alone...it's just not in LA :silenced:

less0305
09-08-2005, 09:56 AM
The Saints have been holding her hostage. They will leave Lousiana, or so they say, if they don't get a fancy new stadium. This has been going on for years! I say, who cares?!? They don't do anything but lose anyway! Let 'em go!

Hey, didn't N.O. get the basketball franchise that left North Carolina? They left here after demanding a new stadium and Charlotte didn't buckle. Now Charlotte has a new team starting this year.

concernedperson
09-08-2005, 09:57 AM

Do you think we will start to see the tide turn now? There is no hiding this huge blunder of failure that is evident to the entire world. I am wondering if Kathleen won't give an inch because it is more about money than power, not wanting to relinguish control of the states "general fund".

kgeaux
09-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Do you think we will start to see the tide turn now? There is no hiding this huge blunder of failure that is evident to the entire world. I am wondering if Kathleen won't give an inch because it is more about money than power, not wanting to relinguish control of the states "general fund".

I don't know for a certainty what is at the root of all these problems, but my opinion is that it's partisan politics. Blanco knows that Nagin supported another candidate for governor--he was VERY vocal about it, he is a republican in a democrat costume! She is not a supporter of Bush, far from it, so she would be very leary of relinquishing any power to him.....is it power or money? I don't know. Maybe one, maybe the other, maybe both. I can't believe that she continues to butt heads with everyone. I really wish they'd all get together and get on the same page, push all the crap out of the way and do what is right for the people. We can pray that things change! I don't think anyone on this earth can sweep any of this mess under any rug.

concernedperson
09-08-2005, 10:12 AM
I don't know for a certainty what is at the root of all these problems, but my opinion is that it's partisan politics. Blanco knows that Nagin supported another candidate for governor--he was VERY vocal about it, he is a republican in a democrat costume! She is not a supporter of Bush, far from it, so she would be very leary of relinquishing any power to him.....is it power or money? I don't know. Maybe one, maybe the other, maybe both. I can't believe that she continues to butt heads with everyone. I really wish they'd all get together and get on the same page, push all the crap out of the way and do what is right for the people. We can pray that things change! I don't think anyone on this earth can sweep any of this mess under any rug.

Partisan politics reminds me of kids fighting in the playground of a schoolyard.

Who are the up and coming younger potential candidates? You know the ones that start showing up in the news.....Or is there none? The same group getting recycled again and again.

JBean
09-08-2005, 10:38 AM
I have heard rumors about personal commissioner puchases too that make the whole thing even more sickening.

tipper
09-08-2005, 10:44 AM
For what it's worth 'cause it came from Geraldo - I heard him say on the radio the reason the school busses weren't used to take people out of the city is none of the surrounding town had a place to take them in and so refused them.

OT - Rather than have either the president or Congress investigate this whole debacle, I would rather they appointed a no-holds-bared, non-partisan who will do an honest job and not interpret events in the light most favorable to his or her own party.

less0305
09-08-2005, 10:59 AM
For what it's worth 'cause it came from Geraldo - I heard him say on the radio the reason the school busses weren't used to take people out of the city is none of the surrounding town had a place to take them in and so refused them.

OT - Rather than have either the president or Congress investigate this whole debacle, I would rather they appointed a no-holds-bared, non-partisan who will do an honest job and not interpret events in the light most favorable to his or her own party.

It's going to be a non-partisan commission made up of both parties from the house and senate both.

less0305
09-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Heck, I meant to say bi-partisan.

Linda7NJ
09-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Are the evacuations now forced or is it still voluntary?

MSNBC is saying they are going door to door urging people to leave

CNN is saying they are now forced evacuations

Which is it?

Larkit
09-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Is that a serious question?
Absolutely serious.

Larkit
09-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Are the evacuations now forced or is it still voluntary?

MSNBC is saying they are going door to door urging people to leave

CNN is saying they are now forced evacuations

Which is it?
Strong urging. Not mandatory. It's being reported that those remaining in their homes are being told they will shortly stop receiving food and water drops, according to the governor's order.

Dara
09-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Absolutely serious. I've posted extensively on this. Do a search on "Chertoff" and my name. You'll find a lot of information. Two of my main concerns are that, like Brown, he seemed hugely uninformed:

Imaginary headlines (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2005/09/06/chertoff-i-remember-on-_n_6925.html) used to justify a poor job?

Being uninformed about major conditions that the entire world knew long before.

His downplaying (Tuesday night) conditions in the Superdome, saying they weren't as bad as reported. Except he didn't even know what was going on there. He said so. Now, that's what he's doing while he's apparently still in charge? Spinning?

You want more, it's in the news.

tipper
09-08-2005, 11:36 AM
It's going to be a non-partisan commission made up of both parties from the house and senate both.
Over the years I've lost confidence in both parties so a bi-partisan commission doesn't fill me with a belief we'll hear the whole story.

SieSie
09-08-2005, 11:57 AM

Oh, please, please tell me you have a link for this information. I really think we need someone in charge of wasteful spending of government money (or maybe we already have someone in charge, I'm not politically informed at all). This all just makes my head spin.

less0305
09-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Over the years I've lost confidence in both parties so a bi-partisan commission doesn't fill me with a belief we'll hear the whole story.

Well, I don't think we'll have to worry about it on this one....I just heard on TV - not a reliable source of information - that the Democrats will refuse to participate anyway. So it may just be a republican commission with a lot of other empty chairs.