PDA

View Full Version : Could Bush Have Done More

Pages : 1 [2]

DEPUTYDAWG
09-09-2005, 11:24 PM
In my mind DD, yes he could have. She asked for "assistance"..... fighting over who had control was just wasting time. I mean her state still maintains control to this day and they are NOW covered up with assistance. So imo, this assistance should/could have been done quickly due to the severe conditions there. They are able to do it now but they weren't able to assist then?

This isnt going to go away.

IMO

Ocean

I enjoy reading your posts, BTW.

I should have made it more clear in my original question at the bottom of my last post, "Could Bush have done more?", that I was just repeating the thread title. It was not my personal opinion or not, and not meant in defense of Bush whatsoever at this point. (That's to the posting world in general, not you, Ocean, FYI.) I re-read what I posted, and I didn't like how I worded it.

I, too, have real concerns about any delays that came from Bush, and the Feds. I'm still not clear on all the legal delays, etc. and power plays on either side. And as you said in your post, it's not going away. I agree, and it shouldn't go away. And FEMA certainly needs an overhaul (realizing that word is an understatement). The Brown appointment, and his apparent lack of qualifications is just disgusting.

I understand your comparison of local LE and FBI intervention, all too well. That is a good analogy.

cynder
09-10-2005, 01:04 AM
And all that sounds like there was no CITY plan for a flood. Why would you not put some of your vehicles on higher ground? Why would you not have put your public works vehicles on higher ground - to be used to carry supplies to those places? Why would you not have an adequate supply of batteries for your walkies and radios charged and ready to go? Why would you not have allowed the federalization of the troops so that there wasn't that day of political wrangling going on to delay that? Why would you not have supplies to feed people at the places you deem shelters and urge people to go?

I've lived on a military base where there were tornado warnings daily - DAILY - and every single warning issued by the base we had to leave our home and drive to the "safe" building for our neighborhood. Now, in 18 months not a single tornado touched down....but we knew it could - and so did the military - so staying at home was NOT an option - you went by order of the military. It's called safeguarding against something you know has a good chance to happen. N.O. is below sea level. Flooding has a good chance of happening, so why was there no CITY plan for supplies at the locations you tell people to go to? Why do you not pull your city fleet to higher ground? Why did you not have extra radios, batteries, generators charged and ready to go? This I just don't understand. Even if you take the hurricane out of the picture and just looked at how unprepared the city was for a flood - it's absolutely amazing. Just suppose something happened and there was a breach in the levee without the hurricane even happening...they were unprepared for flooding. And they live there with those levees every single day and have for 75 years. With just a levee break there would be no warning. Now put the hurricane back in....they had 5 days warning that a hurricane was coming and that increased the likelihood of a breach in the levees and flooding. They weren't prepared for the least case scenario, much less the worst case scenario.
The way I understand it was that they had supplies, gasoline, food, water, batteries, for 2 - 3 days, not 5 or 6. There was 2 days of food water etc at the Superdome - the people went 5 days+ AND more and more people kept showing up.The convention center was never suposed to be a shelter - people just made it one and there were no supplies there at all. LA had asked for an emergency communication system from FEMA pre-hurricane - it finally arrived 6 days later. And once huge numbers of armed men began roaming the streets the reduced force just felt it was too dangerous to confront them - some even holed up in a station house for over a day because they had limited fuel and ammunition. FEMA said prepare for at worst, 72 hours - and in most cases order was just beginning to be restored a WEEK later, with 15K armed Nat'l Guard Troops (vs the 800-1000 police officers of NO). There WAS a plan but with 80% of the city flooded and NO FEMA help for almost a week even the best plan would have failed - it wasn't designed for a week in almost impossible conditions. Think about it - we know there were at least 70-80k people in NO in the worst possible conditions - some were addicts, some criminals and some just angry and desperate .....with GUNS - and the city was to be secured and these people managed by a police force that at full staffing was 1400 officers. I don't care how well you plan or what you do, this was going to go bad after day two with no working toilets, and no electricity.
And as far as the Red Cross is concerned - there was NO WAY the Red Cross was going to the Superdome (much less the convention center) until the Nat'l Guard had restored some semblance of order and control. The crowd would have gone nuts and torn those poor Red Cross folks up into little pieces within minutes of their arrival - like putting a few lambs into a den of 35k hungry, thirsty lions. They have made a big issue about being "refused" by LA officials BUT even if LA had said go, the Red Cross would have refused without Nat'l Guard or Police protection. It would have been suicide.
NO could have been better prepared, but their shortcomings were magnified hugely by the delay in getting FEMA and the Nat'l Guard rolling. We would not have accepeted this type of response in NY and we shouldn't accept it in New Orleans.

dani
09-10-2005, 04:54 AM
Sorry if this has already been posted. (I am too sleepy to read all 250+ posts to find out. Sorry. :( ) But this is a good read pertaining to this thread:

"Should Kathleen Blanco Go?"
http://www.jasoncoleman.com/BlogArchives/2005/09/blancos_insurre.html

Posse Comitatus Act:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act

I do have two comments though.

1. I'm sick of listening to all the politics being played while people and animals are suffering, dying, and their lives being changed forever. I think there ought to be a rule that when someone chooses to blame the President, the FEMA Director, the Red Cross, or Ronald McDonald they should at least tell us what they would have done to have made this a perfect situation. I'm not talking about the posters here at WS. I'm speaking of the politicians, the Hollywood crowd, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and all the political activists. For criminey sakes people! It was a catagory 4 hurricane that hit a city that's 9 feet below sea level, plus the levees broke!!! It's a catastrophe, not a time to play politics! Do that on your own dime!!!

2. I agree with whomever it was that said they should not give federal assistance to the people that flat out REFUSED to leave. To hell with the looters! Material goods can be replaced. Save lives and your health. (I'm sure I'll get bashed for that, but that's the way I feel.)

dani

TexMex
09-10-2005, 09:17 AM
The way I understand it was that they had supplies, gasoline, food, water, batteries, for 2 - 3 days, not 5 or 6. There was 2 days of food water etc at the Superdome - the people went 5 days+ AND more and more people kept showing up.

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWL082805catastrophe.f4dd3f.html

Associated Press

In the face of a catastrophic Hurricane Katrina, a mandatory evacuation was ordered Sunday for New Orleans by Mayor Ray Nagin.

Acknowledging that large numbers of people, many of them stranded tourists, would be unable to leave, the city set up 10 places of last resort for people to go, including the Superdome.

The mayor called the order unprecedented and said anyone who could leave the city should. He exempted hotels from the evacuation order because airlines had already cancelled all flights.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco, standing beside the mayor at a news conference, said President Bush called and personally appealed for a mandatory evacuation for the low-lying city, which is prone to flooding.

"There doesn't seem to be any relief in sight," Blanco said.

She said Interstate 10, which was converted Saturday so that all lanes headed one-way out of town, was total gridlock.

"We are facing a storm that most of us have long feared," Nagin said.

The storm surge most likely could topple the city's levee system, which protect it from surrounding waters of Lake Pontchartrain, the Mississippi River and marshes, the mayor said. The bowl-shaped city must pump water out during normal times, and the hurricane threatened pump power.

Previous hurricanes evacuations in New Orleans were always voluntary, because so many people don't have the means of getting out. Some are too poor and there is always a French Quarter full of tourists who get caught.

"This is a once in a lifetime event," the mayor said. "The city of New Orleans has never seen a hurricane of this magnitude hit it directly," the mayor said.

He told those who had to move to the Superdome to come with enough food for several days and with blankets. He said it will be a very uncomfortable place and encouraged everybody who could to get out.

BillyGoatGruff
09-10-2005, 03:35 PM
The way I understand it was that they had supplies, gasoline, food, water, batteries, for 2 - 3 days, not 5 or 6. There was 2 days of food water etc at the Superdome - the people went 5 days+ AND more and more people kept showing up.The convention center was never suposed to be a shelter - people just made it one and there were no supplies there at all. LA had asked for an emergency communication system from FEMA pre-hurricane - it finally arrived 6 days later. And once huge numbers of armed men began roaming the streets the reduced force just felt it was too dangerous to confront them - some even holed up in a station house for over a day because they had limited fuel and ammunition. FEMA said prepare for at worst, 72 hours - and in most cases order was just beginning to be restored a WEEK later, with 15K armed Nat'l Guard Troops (vs the 800-1000 police officers of NO). There WAS a plan but with 80% of the city flooded and NO FEMA help for almost a week even the best plan would have failed - it wasn't designed for a week in almost impossible conditions. Think about it - we know there were at least 70-80k people in NO in the worst possible conditions - some were addicts, some criminals and some just angry and desperate .....with GUNS - and the city was to be secured and these people managed by a police force that at full staffing was 1400 officers. I don't care how well you plan or what you do, this was going to go bad after day two with no working toilets, and no electricity.
And as far as the Red Cross is concerned - there was NO WAY the Red Cross was going to the Superdome (much less the convention center) until the Nat'l Guard had restored some semblance of order and control. The crowd would have gone nuts and torn those poor Red Cross folks up into little pieces within minutes of their arrival - like putting a few lambs into a den of 35k hungry, thirsty lions. They have made a big issue about being "refused" by LA officials BUT even if LA had said go, the Red Cross would have refused without Nat'l Guard or Police protection. It would have been suicide.
NO could have been better prepared, but their shortcomings were magnified hugely by the delay in getting FEMA and the Nat'l Guard rolling. We would not have accepeted this type of response in NY and we shouldn't accept it in New Orleans.

The convention center thing kind of baffled me. Why were leaders taking heat for the fact that people went in droves to a place that wasn't designated as a shelter, then expected to be tended to there?
And what the hell--people were crapping in the kitchen! At what point do people realize they're stranded and stop urinating and defecating where they're eating and sleeping? The Mississippi River is barely a 100 yards from the Convention Center. They could have used it, or the grounds directly next to the levee as a latrine. The mutilated bodies found in the debris there is another question entirely.
I guess my summers spent at Girl Scout camp getting my Survival badges have prepared me a lot better for existing without sewage service and electricity than I thought.

heavenlydaze
09-10-2005, 08:17 PM
I’ve had enough of people trying to instigate unrest to promote their own political agenda.
This thread is pre-mature, and any attempts here to enlist negative feedback toward ANY political party in regards to their response concerning this disaster is diabolical. This serves nobody. Noone. (or is it 'No-One'?) Any way you care to spell it, it’s still Nada. Zilch. Zippo.

This thread belongs in the PP. Not here. Not yet.

The Big Question:
“So...when IS a GOOD time?”
Answer:
Well...since this is Websleuths, how about AFTER it’s proven a crime has been committed? I’m sure there’s enough blame going around here for BOTH Major parties, the Independent Parties, and anyone else who belongs to any OTHER political party who may have done SOMETHING wrong during the Katrina events.

Trust me...it will ALL come out. It always does, but trying to drum up support for you’re OWN political beliefs will fall short here. this is not the time or the place.

less0305
09-10-2005, 11:26 PM
The convention center thing kind of baffled me. Why were leaders taking heat for the fact that people went in droves to a place that wasn't designated as a shelter, then expected to be tended to there?
And what the hell--people were crapping in the kitchen! At what point do people realize they're stranded and stop urinating and defecating where they're eating and sleeping? The Mississippi River is barely a 100 yards from the Convention Center. They could have used it, or the grounds directly next to the levee as a latrine. The mutilated bodies found in the debris there is another question entirely.
I guess my summers spent at Girl Scout camp getting my Survival badges have prepared me a lot better for existing without sewage service and electricity than I thought.

BillyGG, wasn't the Convention Center called something else also? Because I know I heard the reporters refer to it as something else, and then they would correct themselves and say ConventionCenter. I'm wondering when Brown stated he didn't know about the people at the convention center if he was confused by what they were calling it - because I know for a time I was too. I heard it referred to something else besides "convention center"?

tybee204
09-12-2005, 01:34 AM
Or shall I assume that he, Laura, and the twins were supposed to dash down to Nawlins and stock the evacuation shelters with bottled water and MREs?

You mean like he did in Florida?

President George W. Bush (right) and his brother Gov. Jeb Bush (left) hand out water and ice to motorists in a drive-thru relief operation set up by the American Red Cross at Longwood Stadium in Fort Pierce Sept. 8. The coastal city was hit hard when Hurricane Frances tore through Sept. 5. Thousands are still without power in Florida.
FORT PIERCE (FBW)-President George W. Bush and Florida Gov. Jeb Bush rolled up their sleeves to stand side-by-side handing out bags of ice and words of hope Sept. 8 to residents of Fort Pierce. The coastal city, about 120 miles north of Miami is one of the areas hit hardest by Hurricane Frances-the huge storm which hit the east coast of Florida in the early morning Sept. 5 and traipsed across the state, creating wide-spread power outages and dumping water from east to west and then across the gulf to the Panhandle.

LOL Sorry just couldnt resist

less0305
09-12-2005, 07:37 AM

Red Cross was ready to go in on day one - before all the "thirsty lions." Had the Red Cross gone in just maybe with a little food, water and supplies, things would have been calmer at the Dome. They were held out. Therefore, things got decidedly worse in the days to come.

less0305
09-12-2005, 07:40 AM
You mean like he did in Florida?

President George W. Bush (right) and his brother Gov. Jeb Bush (left) hand out water and ice to motorists in a drive-thru relief operation set up by the American Red Cross at Longwood Stadium in Fort Pierce Sept. 8. The coastal city was hit hard when Hurricane Frances tore through Sept. 5. Thousands are still without power in Florida.
FORT PIERCE (FBW)-President George W. Bush and Florida Gov. Jeb Bush rolled up their sleeves to stand side-by-side handing out bags of ice and words of hope Sept. 8 to residents of Fort Pierce. The coastal city, about 120 miles north of Miami is one of the areas hit hardest by Hurricane Frances-the huge storm which hit the east coast of Florida in the early morning Sept. 5 and traipsed across the state, creating wide-spread power outages and dumping water from east to west and then across the gulf to the Panhandle.

LOL Sorry just couldnt resist

Can we agree that there was no unrest in Florida like there was in New Orleans? Security for the President in N.O. would have been a nightmare. I'm sure it was hard enough in Florida - but N.O. where they were shooting at rescuers it seems to me it was prudent for the President not to go there.

kgeaux
09-12-2005, 07:49 AM
So what happened to Dara? I haven't seen her around in a few days.

Ntegrity
09-12-2005, 10:08 AM
http://www.floridabaptistwitness.com/3178.article

I don't think those kinds of links are allowed in this forum. It's clearly a right wing conservative website. :D

tybee204
09-12-2005, 10:14 AM
LOL I thought it was a church bulletin. It was late and my sense of humor was on warped mode lol.

BillyGoatGruff
09-12-2005, 07:21 PM
BillyGG, wasn't the Convention Center called something else also? Because I know I heard the reporters refer to it as something else, and then they would correct themselves and say ConventionCenter. I'm wondering when Brown stated he didn't know about the people at the convention center if he was confused by what they were calling it - because I know for a time I was too. I heard it referred to something else besides "convention center"?
It's part of the RiverWalk, an upscale mall that was created utilizing rennovated warehouses after the World's Fair. The Convention Center was part of that refurbished warehouse zone on the river as well. I haven't been there in years, but they're right next to one another, with adjacent open-air food courts thatover look the Mississippi.

concernedperson
09-12-2005, 07:23 PM
It is called the Ernest Moriel Convention Center. So some of the confusion could have come from Ernest Moriel, the former mayor, who has been a frequent guest on the cable channels.

tybee204
09-14-2005, 01:14 AM
http://www.opencrs.com/rpts/M20050912_20050912.pdf

Congressional Research Service Report

Ya'll need to read this

Nova
09-14-2005, 02:49 AM
Can we agree that there was no unrest in Florida like there was in New Orleans? Security for the President in N.O. would have been a nightmare. I'm sure it was hard enough in Florida - but N.O. where they were shooting at rescuers it seems to me it was prudent for the President not to go there.

I'm plenty critical of President Bush as a rule, but here I agree. It makes no sense to me for the president to wade into a lawless area. That's really not what we pay him for.

fran
09-14-2005, 03:41 AM
Red Cross was ready to go in on day one - before all the "thirsty lions." Had the Red Cross gone in just maybe with a little food, water and supplies, things would have been calmer at the Dome. They were held out. Therefore, things got decidedly worse in the days to come.

The Red Cross was working with FEMA; therefore, the supplies that was held up was actually FEMA response.

These are things I've seen or heard in the past few days and since I've been reading from so many places, I can't remember where I saw these. But, I saw, I think it was Times or Newsweek or something, that they (government, meaning state and fed) knew that it was imparative supplies etc got to the evacuees within the first 18 hours or so, or unrest would set in.

I heard just the tail end of a talk program tonite, KFI640, whereby a truck driver called in (from Illinois) and he said that working for FEMA, he had a semi full of ice at the bridge to go into NO on Tuesday. The State stopped them from going across the bridge and he had to wait until Thursday before they'd let him cross. Oh,........and he was one of FIFTY semis being held up by the State of La.

The State's excuse, to this truck driver anyway, was that they were not able to contact LE in NO (by radio or whatever) and that was why they couldn't go in.

FWIW, I saw that NO's was given $18,000 to update their communication equipment. What happened?

JMHO
fran

kgeaux
09-14-2005, 08:49 AM
The Red Cross was working with FEMA; therefore, the supplies that was held up was actually FEMA response.

These are things I've seen or heard in the past few days and since I've been reading from so many places, I can't remember where I saw these. But, I saw, I think it was Times or Newsweek or something, that they (government, meaning state and fed) knew that it was imparative supplies etc got to the evacuees within the first 18 hours or so, or unrest would set in.

I heard just the tail end of a talk program tonite, KFI640, whereby a truck driver called in (from Illinois) and he said that working for FEMA, he had a semi full of ice at the bridge to go into NO on Tuesday. The State stopped them from going across the bridge and he had to wait until Thursday before they'd let him cross. Oh,........and he was one of FIFTY semis being held up by the State of La.

The State's excuse, to this truck driver anyway, was that they were not able to contact LE in NO (by radio or whatever) and that was why they couldn't go in.

FWIW, I saw that NO's was given $18,000 to update their communication equipment. What happened?

JMHO
fran

The state stopped all aid and even busses which rushed to help rescue the trapped were turned back. There is a lot to answer for.

Kathleen Blanco was on TV last night blistering the federal government for the "lack of respect" shown to the dead by not picking up the bodies in a timely fashion: this morning I am hearing that LAST WEEK SHE ASKED THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO REFRAIN FROM PICKING UP BODIES BECAUSE SHE WANTED THE STATE TO HANDLE THE RECOVERY. I have HAD it with her.

less0305
09-14-2005, 09:31 AM
JMHO
fran

Oh Fran, I agree with you that they were working with FEMA and it was held up by the head of the state FEMA guy. The Red Cross made that very plain on national TV. She initially said FEMA said no, can't go in - and interrupted herself to go back and say the state FEMA" said no, you can't go in.

less0305
09-14-2005, 09:32 AM
The state stopped all aid and even busses which rushed to help rescue the trapped were turned back. There is a lot to answer for.

Kathleen Blanco was on TV last night blistering the federal government for the "lack of respect" shown to the dead by not picking up the bodies in a timely fashion: this morning I am hearing that LAST WEEK SHE ASKED THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO REFRAIN FROM PICKING UP BODIES BECAUSE SHE WANTED THE STATE TO HANDLE THE RECOVERY. I have HAD it with her.

She is indeed one of the most wishy-washy people I have ever seen. Just what is her deal???!!!!

fran
09-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the replies less and kgeaux.

Since this disaster occurred, each day has brought new revelations of incompetence on all levels of government. That is why, from day one, I said we should wait to point fingers until we had at least rescued all that need to be rescued and buried the dead. When the city and it's people are in the process of recovery, that's when we should look back and see just exactly what went wrong. We can't fix it if we don't know about, and boy! do we know!!

It's not as simple as saying Bush coulda' or shoulda'. There are laws, rules, regulations, that go far beyond our knowledge as ordinary citizens. There are many things that went on behind the scenes that completely contradict what we saw unfolding on our tv screen. In this age of instant gratification, just because we saw it on tv, didn't mean it could be solved before the next commercial or before dark fell. The unforunate thing is, as we were watching this disaster unfold, minute by minute, there was human suffering going on of our fellow Americans.

There are many people and agencies that are going to have to answer for their actions or lack there of. It will take a long time to gather the facts. Until then, we just need to come together as a nation and take care of each other.

JMHO
fran

PS......Like what this thread was originally established for, What could Bush have done?.........Nothing more than he did at the time.........He sent immediate aid and it was refused by the State of LA. Perhaps the question should be, What could the State of LA done?........I guess there's probably a thread for that though....jmho, fran

JBean
09-14-2005, 01:29 PM
PS......Like what this thread was originally established for, What could Bush have done?.........Nothing more than he did at the time.........He sent immediate aid and it was refused by the State of LA. Perhaps the question should be, What could the State of LA done?........I guess there's probably a thread for that though....jmho, fran
Hi Fran! :blowkiss: I am with you on this.

BillyGoatGruff
09-14-2005, 02:48 PM
It is called the Ernest Moriel Convention Center. So some of the confusion could have come from Ernest Moriel, the former mayor, who has been a frequent guest on the cable channels.
Hardly. Ernest "Dutch" Morial's been dead at least 15 years.
You might mean his son, who was also a mayor of the city back in the 1990s.

less0305
09-14-2005, 05:25 PM

I really didn't hear a name applied to it - I meant that I heard some reporters referring to it as Auditorium or Civic Center - something other than Convention Center during the very first days and coverage. I even said to my husband - they're confusing themselves even with what this place is.

JDB
09-14-2005, 08:45 PM
I try and stay away from these type of threads. But I have to put my :twocents: in. The FEDeral goverment wanted to send help before Katrina hit. They were turned down.The blame for this Disaster starts at the local Govt. in La and then up the Chain to the Fed.I heard a story today from Tim Green that was at the Superdome. People had not had water for two days or anything to eat. Yet there were pallets on top of pallets of water. But they were told you would have to wait your turn.
The Gov waited over 24 hours to ask the Pres. for help.The blame here is all the way around.And I betcha if a Demo were in the White Hiouse the same thing would have happened.
I am sick an tired of hearing Bush this Bush that. I figured out many years ago the Pres. Might be our Commander and Chief. But guess what we are ran by the Senate an The House.Regadless of Rep or Demo.

Jules
09-14-2005, 08:55 PM
I try and stay away from these type of threads. But I have to put my :twocents: in. The FEDeral goverment wanted to send help before Katrina hit. They were turned down.The blame for this Disaster starts at the local Govt. in La and then up the Chain to the Fed.I heard a story today from Tim Green that was at the Superdome. People had not had water for two days or anything to eat. Yet there were pallets on top of pallets of water. But they were told you would have to wait your turn.
The Gov waited over 24 hours to ask the Pres. for help.The blame here is all the way around.And I betcha if a Demo were in the White Hiouse the same thing would have happened.
I am sick an tired of hearing Bush this Bush that. I figured out many years ago the Pres. Might be our Commander and Chief. But guess what we are ran by the Senate an The House.Regadless of Rep or Demo.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

heavenlydaze
09-15-2005, 12:09 AM

Yep, JDB, you’ve hit it.
We’re a great country bogged down by so much red tape that we can’t function.
When this happened, it wouldn’t have mattered one iota who was in charge. Bush, Gore, Clinton or FDR himself (having to function in this day & age).
Sue me, sue you, sue your neighbor. Just place the blame SOMEWHERE. SOMEBODY’S responsible. Certainly not some big-ass piece of wind that blew in here from the clouds.
We’re supposed to KNOW what to do. We(USA) have it all together. We pay these people BIG BUCKS to figure this **** out. Right?
When my Mom’s house up in South Dakota was destroyed by lightning 4 years ago and the insurance people came, she couldn’t file a claim without her ORIGINAL, RECEIPT paper-work. Excuse me... It BURNED UP! WHAT exactly do you want her to SHOW you? These insurance folks (who stayed for two weeks and visited Mt. Rushmore) were probably making more money in ten years than she had ever seen in her LIFETIME.
When our store was broken into in 1999, BEFORE we had a digi cam, they relied on Police photos, our invoices and OUR WORD. If we were dishonest people, we could have really worked this & I guarantee you, we’d be better off than we are today.
(we’re still struggling, so I guess we’re not the smartest plastic ring on the six-pack).
Blame this one, blame that one, file lawsuits, SPEND money on litigation that could help us repair levies.

Our levies (Yuba County, Ca) broke out here in ‘86 and ‘97.

http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/archives/105cong/fullcomm/hr478/debate.htm

http://www.highbeam.com/library/search.asp?ctrlInfo=Round16%3AMode16c%3ADocG%3ASea rch&FN=DF&q=yuba+flood+&submit.x=31&submit.y=11&submit=submit

So now...there’s an ‘Endangered Beetle” who saw fit to take root in two of our levies. One of these levies is four miles from our house. I’ve written letters to the EPA, City Council, The Mayor, Gov. Arnold, our congress- people, and anyone else who MIGHT listen. I’ve written ‘Letters To The Editor’ (which stirred up quite a stew), and even contacted senators from my birth state of South Dakota. Nobody listens. Form letters are all I I get back. In the meantime, developers keep building houses beneath these doomed structures. Flood insurance here is a moot prospect. Insurance Co’s will NOT insure anyone here against levy failure, yet they continue to collect premiums based on other, remote possibilities. FEMA offers flood insurance based on the current value $$ of the house, but covers only STUCTURAL damage.

So why don’t we move? Because Marv’s parents are still alive and we’re all they have. They're in their 80's & they won't move.
Believe me, I don’t think this area is safe, but I take my chances. So...if the levy breaks, should we place blame, sue, *****, whine? Oh, yeah...we can always blame the PRESIDENT. Maybe when the waters come, it'll be a dem in power. Does anyone really think it will matter to us then?

close_enough
09-15-2005, 08:25 AM
my answer is a big yes....