PDA

View Full Version : 60,000 trrops, Seach & Rescue Teams tripping over each other

FACE-IT
09-08-2005, 01:50 PM
In an effort to appease the masses, and help show that the government is (finally) doing all it can to help the survivors of Katrina, there are now close to 60,000 troops covering Louisiana and Mississippi, along with Search & Rescue Teams from all over the United States. So many in fact, that they are getting in each other's way. The response has gone from appalling (at the lack of federal response) to the ridiculous as now there are probably at least twice the number of support personnel as needed to do the original job. Plus, the way the government operates, you can rest assured, that it will cost us taxpayers at least twice as much, if not more, than it should have. Every catastrophe seems to be marked by huge amounts of waste, in men, material, and money, and Katrina may prove to have set a new standard as a complete government snafu.

Ntegrity
09-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Too little response, too much response. What's that old saying about pleasing all the people? :rolleyes:

tipper
09-08-2005, 02:05 PM
On the other hand this morning I saw a brief clip of a doctor who was vaccinating people (I think in Miss.) at her own expense and she had yet to see anyone from FEMA or the state. Nobody had shown up and the area looked pretty well destroyed.

FACE-IT
09-08-2005, 02:13 PM
On the other hand this morning I saw a brief clip of a doctor who was vaccinating people (I think in Miss.) at her own expense and she had yet to see anyone from FEMA or the state. Nobody had shown up and the area looked pretty well destroyed.Despite the huge number of support personnel; the response is still not well organized. It's overkill in many areas, while other areas, as you mentioned, haven't had any support yet. Perhaps the news media, who seem very adept at locating these unresponded-to-areas will serve that purpose in this disaster. It doesn't seem as if it should take that long to have this rescue/support effort to get organized, but then again the government is involved and they seem to manage to do this frequently.

rollerbladr123
09-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Excellent first hand view of medical relief work...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4836926

A Doctor's Message from Katrina's Front Lines

Quote 1
“All we could do was provide the barest amount of comfort care. We watched many, many people die. We practiced medical triage at its most basic -- "black-tagging" the sickest people and culling them from the masses so that they could die in a separate area.”

Quote 2
These people had had no food or water or security for several days and were tired, frustrated, sick, wet, and heartbroken. People were brought in by trucks, buses, ambulances, school buses, cars and helicopters. We received patients from hospitals, schools, homes ... the entire remaining population of New Orleans, funneled through our doors.

Our little civilian team, along with a couple of other DMAT teams, set up and ran the biggest evacuation this country has ever seen. The numbers are absolutely staggering.

more at link...