PDA

View Full Version : "The President couldn't have chosen a better man": Mike Brown

Linda7NJ
09-09-2005, 09:31 AM
Brown's Resume and Background Under Scrutiny
TIME Investigation Reveals Discrepancies in Biographies

His entire resume is a LIE!!

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050909051609990011&ncid=NWS00010000000001

DEPUTYDAWG
09-09-2005, 09:40 AM
As I said a few days ago, whoever is second in charge should be studying all the manuals...I don't think Brown is gonna be around long. (I'd predict a "resignation" or "transfer" of duties, maybe not now in the middle of all this, but in the coming months.)

But, if this is all true - OMG. He should do the honorable thing and resign now, or get his a** fired. That would send a strong message, that would be well deserved, apparently.

IMO, of course.

Ntegrity
09-09-2005, 09:47 AM
I heard Rudy Guiliani mentioned as a possible replacement this morning. I kinda liked that idea.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-09-2005, 09:52 AM
I heard Rudy Guiliani mentioned as a possible replacement this morning. I kinda liked that idea.

Ohhhhh, that could be a good thing!!!!

less0305
09-09-2005, 09:53 AM
As I said a few days ago, whoever is second in charge should be studying all the manuals...I don't think Brown is gonna be around long. (I'd predict a "resignation" or "transfer" of duties, maybe not now in the middle of all this, but in the coming months.)

But, if this is all true - OMG. He should do the honorable thing and resign now, or get his a** fired. That would send a strong message, that would be well deserved, apparently.

IMO, of course.

My feelings also. I'm not sure there is anyone on earth who could handle such a tragedy and collassal (sp?) disaster that we've never experienced before without making any mistakes, but if he's not what he was presented to be, he should meet with his superiors and resign. I also think there should be someone ready, willing, and ABLE to take over in the midst of this terrible tragedy. That should be thought over carefully - no one wants to add insult to injury.

2luvmy
09-09-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure there is anyone on earth who could handle such a tragedy and collassal (sp?) disaster that we've never experienced before without making any mistakes, but if he's not what he was presented to be, he should meet with his superiors and resign. I also think there should be someone ready, willing, and ABLE to take over in the midst of this terrible tragedy.

I agree that this is a HUGE crisis, but if someone were in charge that didn't falsify their resume and wasn't a member of the good ole boy club, I am sure things would be running a bit smoother and seem a bit bmore under control. Right now I feel as if the situation is like a dog chasing its tail.

RUDY has my vote!

DEPUTYDAWG
09-09-2005, 10:04 AM
My feelings also. I'm not sure there is anyone on earth who could handle such a tragedy and collassal (sp?) disaster that we've never experienced before without making any mistakes, but if he's not what he was presented to be, he should meet with his superiors and resign. I also think there should be someone ready, willing, and ABLE to take over in the midst of this terrible tragedy. That should be thought over carefully - no one wants to add insult to injury.

Agreed. A little bit of the "be careful what you wish for...." Who, "in the system," would be READY right now to take over in the middle of this fiasco. There is no time for much of a learning curve. Unless it's someone that has had great experience in large disasters (obviously, no one has had experience in one this large and complex)...and understands the bureaucracies and how they all interact. Let's hope there is someone out there ready to take control of this thing.

Linda7NJ
09-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Chanting:

RUDY! RUDY! RUDY!:woohoo: :woohoo:

less0305
09-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Truthfully and honestly....who would want to take over this enormous undertaking without some reservations? Look how people are criticized and picked apart when it is THRUST upon them - imagine sitting back seeing it all and then deciding - "oh, hey, yeah...thow me in there under that microscope to be picked apart!! Yeah, I want some of that!"

If Rudy does it, cudos to him for stepping up to the plate. If he doesn't, I can sure understand why. Like I said before on another thread.....imagine how the pilot or traffic controller or clerk felt when people were screaming about the plane that went to a different Charleston. A mistake was made and people were ready to draw blood. But imagine the scrutiny if you're in charge of this entire disaster.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Truthfully and honestly....who would want to take over this enormous undertaking without some reservations? Look how people are criticized and picked apart when it is THRUST upon them - imagine sitting back seeing it all and then deciding - "oh, hey, yeah...thow me in there under that microscope to be picked apart!! Yeah, I want some of that!"

If Rudy does it, cudos to him for stepping up to the plate. If he doesn't, I can sure understand why. Like I said before on another thread.....imagine how the pilot or traffic controller or clerk felt when people were screaming about the plane that went to a different Charleston. A mistake was made and people were ready to draw blood. But imagine the scrutiny if you're in charge of this entire disaster.

So very true...as I said before, remind me never to allow any of my friends or family or the neighbor lady down the street to run for public office or hold such an important position. And it's too bad, really...as I'm sure there's many very good people that could do some good to make necessary changes. (And we can't forget, usually private industry usually pays more, etc. :silenced: )

DEPUTYDAWG
09-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Chanting:

RUDY! RUDY! RUDY!:woohoo: :woohoo:

In the crowd chanting with you! :woohoo: :woohoo:

cynder
09-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Agreed. A little bit of the "be careful what you wish for...." Who, "in the system," would be READY right now to take over in the middle of this fiasco. There is no time for much of a learning curve. Unless it's someone that has had great experience in large disasters (obviously, no one has had experience in one this large and complex)...and understands the bureaucracies and how they all interact. Let's hope there is someone out there ready to take control of this thing.
This morning Colin Powell's name is being mentioned to coordinate the New Orleans recovery for the Feds - I think he might be pretty good as head of FEMA as well. I think ALL the residents of NO would welcome Powell AND he and Gen Honore would make a heck of a team.

mjak
09-09-2005, 11:12 AM
If the implications of the article are true then not only should Brown be fired, but potentaly Bush should be impeeched. Of couse this statement is based on a lot of assumptions yet to be proven. Rudy has my vote!!!!!

mjak

DEPUTYDAWG
09-09-2005, 11:13 AM
This morning Colin Powell's name is being mentioned to coordinate the New Orleans recovery for the Feds - I think he might be pretty good as head of FEMA as well. I think ALL the residents of NO would welcome Powell AND he and Gen Honore would make a heck of a team.

Ooohhhh, I like that idea as well! Yes, I could see that team in there...go git 'er done!

DEPUTYDAWG
09-09-2005, 11:15 AM
(I almost think I like Powell and Guiliani too much to wish this on them, LOL)

kgeaux
09-09-2005, 11:16 AM

Brown has got to go. His head should roll. I wish Bush would step up to the plate and fire Brown; it's the right and honorable thing to do.

And Guiliani would be an excellent choice for replacement!

jilly
09-09-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm kinda hoping for bigger and better for Guiliani - next President!

DEPUTYDAWG
09-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Brown has got to go. His head should roll. I wish Bush would step up to the plate and fire Brown; it's the right and honorable thing to do.

And Guiliani would be an excellent choice for replacement!

Political favoritism jobs - oh how I hope that this now becomes under greater scrutiny with the public. It's gone on for years and years, but this one really did turn disasterous. I may be turning more cynical in my "years," LOL, but I'm still a Pollyanna at heart. I still hope good will come out of this big mess.

And BTW, if it's as bad as it looks, specifically to Brown and his lying about his background, inflating his resume, etc. IF he did it by paperwork/documents and/or under testimony, then he should be guilty of falsifying government documents. That should be clear cut, right then and there, let alone that he f***** up on the job.

cynder
09-09-2005, 11:45 AM
I know Powell and Bush are NOT on the best of terms BUT if Bush can reach out to Bill Clinton when things are tough surely he can reach out to Powell and mend fences as well.
I have said all along they need to choose someone who can rally support and who inspires confidence and who can also get things done. On a "local" level I think Powell is a better choice for New Orleans - he will resonate with the populace there AND he has so much experience - diplomatic, miltary, operations, coordination et al. It is going to take someone who can coordinate multiple difficult and potentially contentious projects while keeping a very diverse group focused and working as a team despite many obstacles - and I think Powell can successfully do that. Working with Honore as a "second" will cover many many of the most urgent and immediate needs of New Orleans - a LOT of this recovery is going to move on the feet of the National Guard and other "miltary-ish" federal and state agencies.
Guiliani MAY be a good choice for FEMA but I still think it should be taken out of Homeland Security. The majority (like 99%) of FEMA's duties are NATURAL disasters and don't really have much in common with Terrorist Attacks. The mind-set is totally different - as is the public's response. It seems to have added a LOT of unecessary red-tape and beaurocracy to an agency where it is imperative to move quickly and with confidence.
Maybe FEMA isn't the right organization to deal with the response and recovery process after terrorist attacks? Maybe FEMA handles ONLY natural disasters and a "new" agency can focus on the VERY different response needed for a terrorist incident? FETA?? Then Homeland Security can still have THEIR specialized response team and FEMA can get back to being a separate agency with a Cabinet Level Director. To me, combining the two very different jobs (responding to terrorist attacks vs natural disasters) isn't really working and I don't think one person/agency can really do justice to both. We deserve to have THE BEST response to every disaster - not just an "adequate" one.

cynder
09-09-2005, 01:20 PM
http://www.*********.com/news/2005/09/09/D8CGS6680.html

FEMA Chief Relieved of Katrina Duties

"Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being removed from his role managing Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, The Associated Press has learned."

Marstan
09-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Yep, just heard it on the news - wonder who will replace him in DC? Any ideas?

tybee204
09-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Admiral Alan?

DEPUTYDAWG
09-09-2005, 01:24 PM

"Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being removed from his role managing Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, The Associated Press has learned."

STEP 1 - Check!

:D

MrsMush99
09-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Admiral Thad Alan, not sure who that is.

edit: he's from the coast guard.

Marstan
09-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Yes, Admiral Allen, he will take care of the immediate area, Brown will remain in DC (employed) WTH???? Time will tell I suppose.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Yes, Admiral Allen, he will take care of the immediate area, Brown will remain in DC (employed) WTH???? Time will tell I suppose.

That needs to be STEP 2!

cynder
Brown is still Director of FEMA, just not the Katrina Response.
Jimmy Carter, Rudy Guiliani and Colin Powell have all been "mentioned" as possible candidates to oversee the Katrina recovery/rebuilding process. The Administration has not named anyone so far, nor indicated any decisions have been made. I presume Honore is managing the Guard/Military Forces and the "states" are each coordinating other efforts until the choose a replacement for Brown.

MrsMush99
Here's his pic and a bio on him:

http://www.rh.edu/news/news03/commencement03/vadmbio.html

DEPUTYDAWG
09-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Here's his pic and a bio on him:

http://www.rh.edu/news/news03/commencement03/vadmbio.html

Thanks, Daisy! Well, he looks a whole lot better qualified for the job, eh?
I wish him the best of luck!

MrsMush99
09-09-2005, 01:35 PM
IMO, the need someone like him down there. This job is way to big.

BarnGoddess
09-09-2005, 01:47 PM
I don't blame Bush for the Hurricane, the poor evacuation plans, the levee breaking, or the Red Cross not allowed in by the state of Louisiana. However, even though I am a Republican and voted for Mr Bush, I had a nasty feeling about Brown and the comments I have heard him make on TV. What a wuss !!

Good Riddance.

In my opinion, the only thing Blanco has done right is to hire Mr Witt, the FORMER FEMA director, who handled Hurricane Andrew properly and efficiently.

Olivia77
09-09-2005, 01:49 PM

Good, now he just needs to be relieved of ALL duties.

Mabel
09-09-2005, 01:56 PM

I don't see how they can do anything but fire him. Replacing him in NO is admitting that he's incompetent.

tired.old.hag
09-09-2005, 01:56 PM
It's amazing how quickly this came following the press reports of the discrepancies in Brown's resume. I guess the government can work fast when it wants to...

DEPUTYDAWG
09-09-2005, 02:00 PM
I would tend to believe this has been days in the making....

dunlurken
09-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Yep, just heard it on the news - wonder who will replace him in DC? Any ideas?This is my first post here, so please bear with me. The article I read just said he was relieved of his duties related to Katrina. I'm afraid he will still be head of FEMA.

I'm still learning how to maneuver the boards, too. :waitasec:

mysteriew
09-09-2005, 02:01 PM
News break on TV right now. Thad Allen has been appointed.

Ntegrity
09-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Yes, and I'm sure the story about his embellished resume probably helped the decision move along more quickly. I suspect his days as director of FEMA are numbered.

concernedperson
09-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Chertoff is saying this is because of possible other weather problems that Brown is being sent back??? Ya gotta laugh at some the excuses people can come up with.

tired.old.hag
09-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Yep. Prolly since the press started asking about the discrepancies on his resume, and confirmed they were going to print them lol.

dunlurken
09-09-2005, 02:09 PM
News break on TV right now. Thad Allen has been appointed.Sorry, does this mean Thad Allen will be head of FEMA or just Katrina related duties?

MrsMush99
09-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Sorry, does this mean Thad Allen will be head of FEMA or just Katrina related duties?
Just Katrina. Brown is going back to Washington.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Chertoff is saying this is because of possible other weather problems that Brown is being sent back??? Ya gotta laugh at some the excuses people can come up with.

Oh for Pete's sake! :doh:

How 'bout what my mom used to say (and I don't always listen to my mom, evidently!)...."Silence is golden." Chertoff best take that advice.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Yep. Prolly since the press started asking about the discrepancies on his resume, and confirmed they were going to print them lol.

Yup, dang that media sometimes.... :)

tired.old.hag
09-09-2005, 02:15 PM
ABC news is reporting he's going to be removed completely.

"And sources have told ABC News that Brown is also expected to be out as head of the agency very soon."
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=1111074&page=1

dunlurken
09-09-2005, 02:21 PM
ABC news is reporting he's going to be removed completely.

"And sources have told ABC News that Brown is also expected to be out as head of the agency very soon."
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=1111074&page=1 Well, he certainly needs to be relieved of his duties. We must not forget that terrorists are watching how we react to this whole situation. The guy needs to go, and soon.

kgeaux
09-09-2005, 02:24 PM

Total complete agreement. Also someone, and by this I mean hopefully President Bush, needs to acknowledge that mistakes were made by Mr. Brown. I think this is imperative.

tybee204
09-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Total complete agreement. Also someone, and by this I mean hopefully President Bush, needs to acknowledge that mistakes were made by Mr. Brown. I think this is imperative.

LOL it may be imperative but I bet it will never happen.

kgeaux
09-09-2005, 02:40 PM
LOL it may be imperative but I bet it will never happen.

I know, I'm just a dreamer! :blushing:

Linda7NJ
09-09-2005, 03:44 PM
My only comment, IT TOOK LONG ENOUGH! should have been days ago! Actually, he should have never had the job to begin with!

BillyGoatGruff
09-09-2005, 05:33 PM
This is my first post here, so please bear with me. The article I read just said he was relieved of his duties related to Katrina. I'm afraid he will still be head of FEMA.

I'm still learning how to maneuver the boards, too. :waitasec:
He will be given the opportunity to fall on his sword (resign). If that does not occur within the next few days, look for him to be fired.

concernedperson
09-09-2005, 05:37 PM
He will be given the opportunity to fall on his sword (resign). If that does not occur within the next few days, look for him to be fired.

I agree with that assessment. Who do you think will replace him?

BillyGoatGruff
09-09-2005, 06:08 PM
I agree with that assessment. Who do you think will replace him?
Who knows? Elizabeth Dole?

concernedperson
09-09-2005, 06:10 PM

ROTFLMAO.

SieSie
09-09-2005, 06:13 PM

:clap: Now we need to get rid of Governor Blanco.

kgeaux
09-09-2005, 06:40 PM
:clap: Now we need to get rid of Governor Blanco.

Oh, yes mam! Let it be soon!

Linda7NJ
09-09-2005, 06:43 PM
WASHINGTON - A beleaguered Mike Brown said Friday he doesn't know why he was removed from his onsite command of Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, but he does know the first thing he'll do when he returns to Washington.

"I'm going to go home and walk my dog and hug my wife, and maybe get a good Mexican meal and a stiff margarita and a full night's sleep,"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050909/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/katrina_brown_interview_1

concernedperson
09-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Oh, yes mam! Let it be soon!

Is there a grass roots effort? Or a wait and see attitude?

concernedperson
09-09-2005, 06:46 PM
He needs to go back to Oklahoma or wherever he is from. He is still clueless.I won't lose any sleep tonight because he may be displaced.

Linda7NJ
09-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Poor guy...hasn't had a goodnights sleep or a good stiff drink for days.....my heart bleeds for him.:snooty:

LovelyPigeon
09-09-2005, 06:53 PM
At least Brownie won't have to be in those stinky coastal places anymore with all those stinky people and nothing to drink but bottled water!

DUH!

concernedperson
09-09-2005, 06:56 PM
At least Brownie won't have to be in those stinky coastal places anymore with all those stinky people and nothing to drink but bottled water!

DUH!

His backside is showing big time. And he wonders why this happened to him? So disgusting.

LovelyPigeon
09-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Bush might be wondering too, since he's the one who told us (and Brown), "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job!"

Maybe Bush meant to say, *Brownie, what the heck are you doing??!"

Casshew
09-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Nice for him to rub it in to all the people who lost everything that he has a home & a wife, & food and a comfy bed.

LovelyPigeon
09-09-2005, 07:04 PM
And he's so far from home! has to fly all the way to Washington, DC to get back to the family.

Schmerty_Jones
09-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Bush might be wondering too, since he's the one who told us (and Brown), "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job!"

Maybe Bush meant to say, *Brownie, what the heck are you doing??!"
That's another time Bushie should have stuck to the script! :slap:

tybee204
09-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Ohhh Such a sad sad story...and me without by box of tissue handy. Maybe FEMA can give Brownie a $2000 debit card for severence pay. Oh wait...FEMA canceled the debit card distribution. Sorry Brownie you have to pay for your own Margarita.. :loser:

concernedperson
09-09-2005, 07:15 PM
One of the worst things to me in this disaster is the condescending attitudes of quite a few people.The....We weren't aware of people at the convention center......The city of Louisiana is under water.....The these people will have a better start....The these people should have personal responsibility...and on and on. Like they were cattle to be herded and blamed for the ****s that preyed on them. Like most were just good humans that happened to be poor.I/We know that many take advantage of a system but most just live quietly and love their family and do good whenever they can.

I just can't believe some of the insensibility.

less0305
09-09-2005, 07:38 PM

Nooooooo, we have her here in N.C. and we're not letting her go!!!! She's doing a fine job here, thank you!!! Keep your mitts off!

Sniffy38
09-09-2005, 09:01 PM
"I'm going to go home and walk my dog and hug my wife, and maybe get a good Mexican meal and a stiff margarita and a full night's sleep,"

At least we know in what order the wife rates!

concernedperson
09-09-2005, 09:18 PM

He is a pig.

Mabel
09-09-2005, 10:32 PM
He doesn't know why he was removed? I swear, if only he'd watch CNN once in a while he'd learn what's going on in the world.

kgeaux
09-09-2005, 10:57 PM
He doesn't know why he was removed? I swear, if only he'd watch CNN once in a while he'd learn what's going on in the world.
LOL! And oh so true!

Casshew
09-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Maybe she will make him sleep in the doghouse now?

Liz
09-10-2005, 07:34 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/10/national/nationalspecial/10crisis.html?hp&ex=1126411200&en=5e194c087578e640&ei=5094&partner=homepage

By ELISABETH BUMILLER
Published: September 10, 2005

WASHINGTON, Sept. 9 - To Democrats, Republicans, local officials and Hurricane Katrina's victims, the question was not why, but what took so long?

Republicans had been pressing the White House for days to fire "Brownie," Michael D. Brown, director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, who had stunned many television viewers in admitting that he did not know until 24 hours after the first news reports that there was a swelling crowd of 25,000 people desperate for food and water at the New Orleans convention center.

>>> continued at link

Cypros
09-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Top FEMA officials lack experience

The Washington Post reported on Friday that five of eight top FEMA officials had come to their jobs with virtually no experience in handling disasters. The agency's top three leaders, including Brown, had ties to Bush's 2000 presidential campaign or the White House advance operation.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/09/katrina.brown.reut/index.html

kgeaux
09-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Top FEMA officials lack experience

The Washington Post reported on Friday that five of eight top FEMA officials had come to their jobs with virtually no experience in handling disasters. The agency's top three leaders, including Brown, had ties to Bush's 2000 presidential campaign or the White House advance operation.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/09/katrina.brown.reut/index.html

They all need to go if they have no experience. Get some guys in there that handled some of the past disasters! God knows this situation at least deserves to have the benefit of someone who actually knows what to do helping out.

Cypros
09-10-2005, 11:21 AM
What an @$$! If they don't fire him from FEMA on their own, the decent people of America must demand it.

Cypros
09-10-2005, 11:23 AM
They all need to go if they have no experience. Get some guys in there that handled some of the past disasters! God knows this situation at least deserves to have the benefit of someone who actually knows what to do helping out.

or gals!

mysteriew
09-11-2005, 09:32 AM
I just heard that NASA is proposing a new flight to Mars, and is ambitiously proposing to put a man on Mars on this trip.
Brown is being overwhelmingly nominated as the man for the job.

mysteriew
09-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Director Michael Brown sent a candid e-mail to family and friends this week as he was becoming the center of criticism of the handling of the Hurricane Katrina disaster.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/katrina_brown;_ylt=AgAdBdJGztmBYEyS_6BkmCOs0NUE;_y lu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

Pepper
09-11-2005, 10:51 AM
I just heard that NASA is proposing a new flight to Mars, and is ambitiously proposing to put a man on Mars on this trip.
Brown is being overwhelmingly nominated as the man for the job. I hope he takes Blanco and Nagin to keep him company on that long journey!

tybee204
09-12-2005, 03:00 PM
According to CNN

Marstan
09-12-2005, 03:02 PM
According to Fox News.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Yeah!

Jeana (DP)
09-12-2005, 03:17 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :clap: :clap: :clap: :woohoo: :woohoo:

ShowerSinger
09-12-2005, 03:23 PM
I hope he was given the old ultimatum----
Resign, or be fired.
(Would have liked to have seen him fired, though.)

Pepper
09-12-2005, 03:25 PM
I hope he was given the old ultimatum----
Resign, or be fired.
(Would have liked to have seen him fired, though.) You can bet on it!

kato
09-12-2005, 03:28 PM
If there was ever a poster boy for ineptitude he was it.

rollerbladr123
09-12-2005, 03:30 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050912/ap_on_go_ot/katrina_brownEmbattled FEMA Director Mike Brown Resigns

Quote : Embattled FEMA director Mike Brown said Monday he has resigned "in the best interest of the agency and best interest of the president," three days after losing his onsite command of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. "The focus has got to be on FEMA, what the people are trying to do down there," Brown told The Associated Press.His decision was not a surprise. Brown was abruptly recalled to Washington on Friday, a clear vote of no confidence from his superiors at the White House and the Department of Homeland Security. Brown had been roundly criticized for FEMA's bearish response to the hurricane, which has caused political problem for Bush and fellow Republicans.

more at link...

Pepper
09-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Between the Times allegation of resume embellishment, and the Paula Zahn interview, the guy was toast.

Buzz Mills
09-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Someone had to be the scapegoat for this major foul-up. FEMA is now under the Dept. Of Homeland Security. When was Mike Brown appointed head of FEMA and who was resposnsible for appointing him??

Ntegrity
09-12-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm sure FEMA didn't do things perfectly, but mostly I think he's becoming a scapegoat for a failure on many levels. I'm not sure anyone could've handled a disaster of this magnitude -- not even Rudy.

Jeana (DP)
09-12-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm sure FEMA didn't do things perfectly, but mostly I think he's becoming a scapegoat for a failure on many levels. I'm not sure anyone could've handled a disaster of this magnitude -- not even Rudy.

Here's the guy who can (and IS) doing it!!!:

NEW ORLEANS – To troops, he's the "Ragin' Cajun," an affable but demanding general barking orders to resuscitate a drowning city. To his country, he's an icon of leadership in a land hungry for a leader after a hurricane exposed the nation's vulnerability to disasters.

With a can-do attitude and a cigar in hand, Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore arrived after Hurricane Katrina and directed troops to point weapons down in respect for a stunned and stranded population lacking food, electricity and safety.

Each morning, Gen. Honore (pronounced AHN'-ur-ay) boards a Blackhawk helicopter at Camp Shelby in Mississippi, 100 miles north of New Orleans, for a humanitarian mission as head of the military's Joint Task Force Katrina.

Gen. Honore was born at home 57 years ago during a hurricane, his mother and an uncle always told him. He grew up poor in Lakeland, La., northwest of Baton Rouge, with 11 siblings, once winning a 4-H contest with the family's lone dairy cow, Weasel.

His daughter and friends live in New Orleans. As a child, he spent two weeks at Charity Hospital, where Katrina's floodwaters trapped doctors and patients, after he was hit in the head with a baseball bat.

Stepping into a crisis that has drawn criticism of leaders at every level of government, Gen. Honore was praised for his compassionate approach to residents and his colorful bursts of instructions to troops, delivered in a Louisiana drawl with spits of profanity for emphasis.

more at:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/katrina/rescue/stories/DN-kathonore_12tex.ART.State.Edition2.8a33ab2.html

Mabel
09-12-2005, 04:18 PM

But for him to deny even having any knowledge of issues that the rest of the world had been watching live on every news channel for days goes beyond an inability to handle the disaster.

Ntegrity
09-12-2005, 04:26 PM
But for him to deny even having any knowledge of issues that the rest of the world had been watching live on every news channel for days goes beyond an inability to handle the disaster.
I'm pretty sure he was too busy to watch TV during that time. Don't you think? :confused: Who was responsible for updating him on the situation?

Ntegrity
09-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Here's the guy who can (and IS) doing it!!!:

And he seems to be doing a good job, but he's in command of military troops. What was Brown supposed to do? I'm serious here. Not being an apologist for him, just curious.

Jeana (DP)
09-12-2005, 04:32 PM
And he seems to be doing a good job, but he's in command of military troops. What was Brown supposed to do? I'm serious here. Not being an apologist for him, just curious.

Dude shouldn't have ever accepted a job he was not qualified to do. By doing so, he put lifes in jeapordy. Just my :twocents: . :)

Military experience is exactly what's needed to get that many people moved, fed, etc. in a short amount of time.

kgeaux
09-12-2005, 04:33 PM
"You can't win the first quarter in a disaster. It's impossible to do it. You got to do the best you can. But you better win the next quarter, take care of the evacuees," he says. "If the first quarter taught us anything, your plan is a plan, but it needs to be executed."

He really tells it like it is. Gotta like that guy!

less0305
09-12-2005, 04:37 PM

I said that also. The huge magnitude of this disaster would have engulfed anybody - even Rudy, I believe. And I still don't believe there are enough FEMA employees out there to handle the mass destruction over three states - and now having to have employees set up shop in every state to help those that have been evacuated out. Nothing this country has ever seen before.

Ntegrity
09-12-2005, 04:38 PM
"You can't win the first quarter in a disaster.
I liked this part of the quote best. As I said, I don't think there's anyone who would've come out looking good after watching the first few days unfold. Maybe I'm not understanding the role of FEMA, but I don't see them as first responders. That should be a function of local law enforcement and National Guard, shouldn't it?

less0305
09-12-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm pretty sure he was too busy to watch TV during that time. Don't you think? :confused: Who was responsible for updating him on the situation?

Once again....state officials!

Cypros
09-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Hallelujah! The guy had no clue what was going on and was clearly UNQUALIFIED. This would have been a difficult challenge for anybody, but not knowing about the existence of thousands of people who had been shown and discussed on TV for at least two days does indicate a true disconnect from the reality of the situation. And it wasn't just Brown who didn't know they existed. In that interview with Paula Zahn, Brown said that "WE (FEMA) didn't even know about the people at the Convention Center until today". So he implicated the whole darn lot of them. There is no excuse for FEMA not to be using the reports from TV reporters -- the only ones who ventured iinto New Orleans those first days! -- as important sources for what was going on.

Yep, You did a heck of a job there, BROWNIE!! :crazy:

Mabel
09-12-2005, 04:43 PM

If he wasn't watching TV and he wasn't providing assistance and he wasn't investigating the situation to find where help was needed, what was he doing?

less0305
09-12-2005, 04:50 PM
If he wasn't watching TV and he wasn't providing assistance and he wasn't investigating the situation to find where help was needed, what was he doing?

Well, for one...getting together supplies to send there that were turned away and refused admittance. I'm not defending the guy totally - I don't think he did a good job and I don't like the bit about embellishing his resume....but I don't think the guy sat around and purposely did nothing and didn't care. I really don't. I'm sorry if the masses think this guy just didn't care, but I don't believe that. I think he definately was in over his head - and I think he was working with a Governor who clearly didn't want OUTSIDE help. She didn't even want supplies brought in because it would encourage people to stay. I think Mike Brown got a lot of crap heaped on him that also lay at the feet of the STATE FEMA guy and in my opinion - he oughta be in the unemployment line also.

Ntegrity
09-12-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm with you on this, less. I'm not particularly a fan of Brown, but I still think he's the scapegoat for failures on the part of many, many others. If the supplies were rebuffed by the governor, what was he supposed to do?

Buzz Mills
09-12-2005, 05:06 PM
This goes back to something I posted early last week; in a major disaster like this, the troops should be sent in first, to achieve imediate order, and establish a communications network. This is all covered under their duties and responsibilities. A hodge-podge of civilian organizations, police, or otherwise, aren't going to cut it.

Jeana (DP)
09-12-2005, 05:12 PM
This goes back to something I posted early last week; in a major disaster like this, the troops should be sent in first, to achieve imediate order, and establish a communications network. This is all covered under their duties and responsibilities. A hodge-podge of civilian organizations, police, or otherwise, aren't going to cut it.

Exactly! ESPECIALLY when you consider that there were people shooting at those first responders trying to help.

Pepper
09-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Exactly! ESPECIALLY when you consider that there were people shooting at those first responders trying to help. I agree with you, but I think some changes will need to be made in the Constitution for that to work. Or, at the very least, some group concensus of delegation of power of the various states and governors of those states - otherwise, guaranteed, it will become a Constitutional review issue.

Ntegrity
09-12-2005, 05:37 PM
Any wagers on how long Chertoff will last? :D

Pepper
09-12-2005, 06:13 PM
Any wagers on how long Chertoff will last? :D Hmmmm......good question. I'm wondering how long before FEMA is cut loose from the DHS.

tybee204
09-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Career firefighter, ranking FEMA official will replace Mike Brown

WASHINGTON - The White House picked a top FEMA official with three decades of firefighting experience to be FEMA's new director, senior administration sources said Monday.

R. David Paulison, head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s emergency preparedness force, will lead the beleaguered agency, according to three administration sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement had not yet been made.

Bush's decision followed FEMA Director Mike Brown's announcement that he was resigning “in the best interest of the agency and best interest of the president,” three days after losing his on-site command of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9315184/

concernedperson
09-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Yea, someone with qualifications! See it is a step in the right direction. I knew if they thought long and hard enough it would come to them. Just a growth process all governments should go through even if it is after the fact.

Pepper
09-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Paula Zahn interview with Michael Brown on 9/1/05. Could this possibly be one of the reasons he got the axe?

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0509/01/pzn.01.html

The big question, of course, tonight is, where do things stand with the federal response?

Federal Emergency Management Director Mike Brown joins me now from the FEMA command center in Baton Rouge.

Thank you, sir, for joining us. I understand that security isn't your job. I understand that you are up against tremendous obstacles. But how can it be that hundreds and hundreds of thousands of victims have not received any food and water more than 100 hours after Katrina hit?

MICHAEL BROWN, DIRECTOR, FEDERAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY: Paula, I think it's so important for the American public to understand exactly how catastrophic this disaster is.

I mean, we have a major American city, a major urban area that has been totally demolished. And what we're finding is, is that, as we continue to do the evacuation and get people out, people who have completely lost everything, they have no place to go, they have nothing, that we're finding other people who are literally coming out of second stories of homes, that are suddenly appearing on bridges that are not under water, that people who were unable or chose not to evacuate are suddenly appearing.

And so, this -- this catastrophic disaster continues to grow. I will tell you this, though. Every person in that Convention Center, we just learned about that today. And so, I have directed that we have all available resources to get to that Convention Center to make certain that they have the food and water, the medical care that they need...

ZAHN: Sir, you aren't telling me...

BROWN: ... and that we take care of those bodies that are there.

(CROSSTALK)

ZAHN: Sir, you aren't just telling me you just learned that the folks at the Convention Center didn't have food and water until today, are you? You had no idea they were completely cut off?
(CROSSTALK)

BROWN: Paula, the federal government did not even know about the Convention Center people until today.

tipper
09-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Mr. tipper said that every high ranking official he knows in DC including generals all have at least one tv in their office tuned to CNN, MSNBC etc. Just so they will be up to date on what the public is hearing. Sometimes it scoops what they are hearing from their people.

JBean
09-12-2005, 07:57 PM
MY sister was holding a conference for firefighters this month. It has been cancelled due to Katrina.
She sent me a copy of her brochure and Paulison was her key note speaker! LOL!
She said he is very highly regarded and she is thrilled with this choice.

JBean
09-12-2005, 08:00 PM
THis is her BIO info..I don't know if there is any new info in it but here you go:

BIO---------FIRE CHIEF DAVE PAULISON

R. David Paulison was appointed director of the Preparedness Division of
the Emergency Preparedness & Response Directorate/FEMA, in the newly
created Department of Homeland Security in 2003. He will continue to
serve as the administrator for the U.S. Fire Administration, a position
to which he was appointed in December 2001.
As director of the Preparedness Division, Mr. Paulison administers a
broad range of programs designed to reduce injuries and death due to
disasters, strengthen states and communities and prevent or reduce
damage to public and personal property. He is also responsible for
enhancing state and local emergency preparedness, training federal,
state, and local emergency managers, and conducting a nationwide program
of exercises. As head of the U.S. Fire Administration, Mr. Paulison also
supports state and local fire service programs and oversees programs to
reduce life and economic losses due to fire and related emergencies in
partnership with fire protection and emergency service communities.

Before joining FEMA, Mr. Paulison, who has 30 years of fire rescue
services experience, was chief of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department.
In that position, he oversaw 1,900 personnel with a $200 million
operating budget and a $70 million capital budget. He also oversaw the
county's emergency management office.

He began his career as a rescue firefighter and rose through the ranks
to rescue lieutenant, battalion commander, district chief of operations,
division chief, assistant chief and then deputy director for
administration before becoming chief. His emergency management
experience includes Hurricane Andrew and the crash of ValuJet Flight

A native of Miami, Fla., Mr. Paulison earned a bachelor of arts from
Florida Atlantic University and completed the Program for Senior
Executives in State and Local Government at Harvard University's John F.
Kennedy School of Government. He received the LeRoy Collins
Distinguished Alumni Award and was inducted into the Miami-Dade
Community College Hall of Fame. Mr. Paulison was selected as fire chief
of the year by Florida in 1993 and holds positions in several
professional associations. He is a certified paramedic and as fire
chief, oversaw the Miami-Date Urban Search and Rescue Task Force. He is
also past president of the International Association of Fire Chiefs.

concernedperson
09-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Most of us have already read the newslinks.

JBean
09-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Most of us have already read the newslinks.Thank you! Sorry if it's too much duplication!

Tom'sGirl
09-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Thank you! Sorry if it's too much duplication!
No it wasn't JB, thanks for posting the info.

JBean
09-12-2005, 08:17 PM
No it wasn't JB, thanks for posting the info.Pheww thanks Tomsgirl. I was embarrassed.:blushing:

marrigotti
09-12-2005, 08:21 PM

Thanks so much for posting that, JBean.

less0305
09-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Pheww thanks Tomsgirl. I was embarrassed.:blushing:

JBean, thanks for posting!! I had a meeting tonight and I'm trying to catch up so having that short bio here for me was great...I didn't have to go searching on my limited time tonight!! :hand: Big thumbs up here, girl!!!

BirdieBoo
09-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Yes JBean. Thanks.

I wonder why Mr. Paulison did not already have that job? He seems ideally suited for it, per the bio.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-12-2005, 09:22 PM

Hey JB! I'm glad you posted it, I haven't had a chance to sit and watch TV yet. And this guys sounds a whole lot more experienced. That's a start, LOL

JBean
09-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Well, my disaster sister is the only person that I know personally that has real life experience with this stuff. She was so thrilled that he was chosen, I guess I was just excited to post. She has been trying to get me to pay attention to this stuff for so long, she finally has my attention.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Well, my disaster sister is the only person that I know personally that has real life experience with this stuff. She was so thrilled that he was chosen, I guess I was just excited to post. She has been trying to get me to pay attention to this stuff for so long, she finally has my attention.

I still love that, "disaster sister!" :laugh:

JBean
09-12-2005, 09:53 PM
I still love that, "disaster sister!" :laugh:That was just for you DD! I told her that we all get a chuckle out of it.

As an aside the conference she was putting on was for firefighters and how to drive safely and arrive alive when they drive so fast in an emergency! LOL!:eek:

Liz
09-13-2005, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the bio, JBean! It was 'news' to me!
He sounds like a good man for the job!

KrazyKollector
09-13-2005, 02:22 AM
Thank you! Sorry if it's too much duplication!It wasn't too much duplication for me. I hadn't read it yet.
Guess I was too busy taking with my Mom at the hospital to read the "newslinks". I very much appreciate you posting this.:clap:

KrazyKollector
09-13-2005, 02:24 AM
Well, my disaster sister is the only person that I know personally that has real life experience with this stuff. She was so thrilled that he was chosen, I guess I was just excited to post. She has been trying to get me to pay attention to this stuff for so long, she finally has my attention.LOL JBean! You may want to rethink the pairing of these two words in the same grouping, "disaster sister". ;) She may want to deck you after that.

KrazyKollector
09-13-2005, 02:30 AM
That was just for you DD! I told her that we all get a chuckle out of it.

As an aside the conference she was putting on was for firefighters and how to drive safely and arrive alive when they drive so fast in an emergency! LOL!:eek:Very needed conference! I had two coworkers driving/riding a "bus" to an accident when they went through a red light without slowing down enough. Ended up hitting a car with a woman and child. Woman died and the driver of the "bus" actually did prison time. Even driving hot, you still have to give ROW.

Another two coworkers were driving/riding but not hot and got hit by another car speeding. It actually flipped the bus onto it's side. One EMT ended up having to leave that type of job because of his injury to his back and shoulder.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-13-2005, 08:34 AM
That was just for you DD! I told her that we all get a chuckle out of it.

As an aside the conference she was putting on was for firefighters and how to drive safely and arrive alive when they drive so fast in an emergency! LOL!:eek:

Oh how funny...SO is a firefighter, and about a month ago they had their driving "class." Maybe it's the time of year for FF's to have driving training? LOL

Details
09-13-2005, 03:31 PM
You'd have thought it'd be obvious the first time - appoint someone with experience and qualifications. :doh: :doh: :doh:

Dark Knight
10-20-2005, 05:40 PM
FEMA Official Says Boss Ignored Warnings By HOPE YEN, Associated Press Writer

Federal Emergency Management Agency officials did not respond to repeated warnings about deteriorating conditions in New Orleans and the dire need for help as Hurricane Katrina struck, the first FEMA official to arrive conceded Thursday.

Marty Bahamonde, a FEMA regional director, told a Senate panel investigating the government's response to the disaster that he gave regular updates to people in contact with then-FEMA Director Michael Brown as early as Aug. 28, one day before Katrina made landfall.

In most cases, he was met with silence. In an Aug. 29 phone call to Brown informing him that the first levee had broke, Bahamonde said he received a polite thank you from Brown, who said he would check with the White House.

*snip*

Later, on Aug. 31, Bahamonde frantically e-mailed Brown to tell him that thousands are evacuees were gathering in the streets with no food or water and that "estimates are many will die within hours."

"Sir, I know that you know the situation is past critical," Bahamonde wrote.

Less than three hours later, however, Brown's press secretary wrote colleagues to complain that the FEMA director needed more time to eat dinner at a Baton Rouge restaurant that evening. "He needs much more that (sic) 20 or 30 minutes," wrote Brown aide Sharon Worthy.

"We now have traffic to encounter to go to and from a location of his choise (sic), followed by wait service from the restaurant staff, eating, etc. Thank you." :furious:

Rest of the story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051020/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/katrina_fema&printer=1 (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051020/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/katrina_fema&printer=1)

Marthatex
10-20-2005, 09:28 PM
Cronyism is a bad idea, especially when it trumps experience and competence, and when our welfare is at stake.

Is he still on the payroll?

close_enough
10-20-2005, 09:35 PM
:furious: grrrrrr :furious:

PrayersForMaura
11-25-2005, 08:29 AM
DENVER - Former FEMA Director Michael Brown, heavily criticized for his agency's slow response to Hurricane Katrina, is starting a disaster preparedness consulting firm to help clients avoid the sort of errors that cost him his job.

"If I can help people focus on preparedness, how to be better prepared in their homes and better prepared in their businesses — because that goes straight to the bottom line — then I hope I can help the country in some way," Brown told the Rocky Mountain News for its Thursday editions.

Brown said officials need to "take inventory" of what's going on in a disaster to be able to answer questions to avoid appearing unaware of how serious a situation is.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051125/ap_on_re_us/brown_disasters

:waitasec: uh..... isn't it a liiiiiiiiiitttttttle late for that? :slap:

dakini
11-25-2005, 09:02 AM
DENVER - Former FEMA Director Michael Brown, heavily criticized for his agency's slow response to Hurricane Katrina, is starting a disaster preparedness consulting firm to help clients avoid the sort of errors that cost him his job.

"If I can help people focus on preparedness, how to be better prepared in their homes and better prepared in their businesses — because that goes straight to the bottom line — then I hope I can help the country in some way," Brown told the Rocky Mountain News for its Thursday editions.

Brown said officials need to "take inventory" of what's going on in a disaster to be able to answer questions to avoid appearing unaware of how serious a situation is.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051125/ap_on_re_us/brown_disasters

:waitasec: uh..... isn't it a liiiiiiiiiitttttttle late for that? :slap:
We may thank him for creating a new phrase that describes incompetence.

"Bakin' brownies" or "Pullin a Brownie".

Marthatex
11-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Is that kind of like Bill Clinton giving lectures on Sex Education and Abstinence?

fran
11-25-2005, 12:47 PM
You've got to be kidding! :eek:

fran

Cypros
11-25-2005, 01:05 PM
I believe this is the equivalent of Brownie thumbing his nose at the American people.

BarnGoddess
11-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Wow, unbelievable!!!! At first, I thought it was James Lee Witt. That would make more sense as I was in Miami during Hurricane Andrew. He did a pretty good job on that one. I shudder to think what it would have been like if Brown were in charge then.

Marthatex
11-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Yes, I think James Lee Witt did OK.

Oh, Barn Goddess, You'll have to keep us up to date on Brownie's doings. Is he mostly going to get pre-assigned, government type cronyism contracts? Or is he really starting from scratch? I doubt it.

azwriter
11-28-2005, 12:44 AM
At first I thought this news was a clever April Fool's Joke. Then I realized it's November.

On a similiar note, this news reminds me of the joke about O.J. after his murder trial.
He was going to go into the Limo business. He could get you to the airport with time to kill.
GROAN!

Details
11-28-2005, 02:34 AM
Seems quite appropriate to me. He did a great job at planning to create a disaster. I wouldn't hire him to prevent or mitigate a disaster, but to plan a disaster - he is the master!