PDA

View Full Version : Katrina Entitlements

FACE-IT
09-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Very shortly after 9/11, Congress voted to award the surviving family of the victims, an average of $2 million each. This was somewhat of a precedent, but the problem quickly became: "Where do you draw the line?" After the 9/11 award, the families of the Oklahoma City victims quickly stepped forward to ask why, they too, hadn't been compensated for their loss. Their complaint was indeed, justified. Now, with Katrina, it appears that each family? victim? household? will receive some designated amount of money. Again, the problem is: "Where should the line be drawn?" Families suffer catastrophes every day, and the government is not expected, nor do they, take responsibility for the families loss. When 9/11 occurred, I, along with so many, many, others, stepped up to the plate, and donated a sizeable amount of money (and not without personal sacrifice). Shortly thereafter when I found out, that the government was going to award the surviving families, a very large amount of money, I was a little upset that they were belittling the generosity, and responsibility, shown, by so many Americans, myself included. I did the same generous giving for the Tsunami, and am in the process of doing the same for the victims of Katrina, but when the government gets involved in sizeable outright grants, it becomes a giant turnoff for me. Of course their reputation for waste, inefficiency, and allowing so much abuse of the system, during disasters, has something to do with it.

Norma
09-12-2005, 12:34 PM
What will happen to their credit card debt? Who will incur this?

I understand our car/home insurance rates will go up to compensate, and I myself was a receipient of insurance repairs after that Blizzard of '99 in the midwest. So I understand the raise in rates.

But how will the banks/credit card companies recoop their losses?

FACE-IT
09-12-2005, 12:46 PM
What will happen to their credit card debt? Who will incur this?

I understand our car/home insurance rates will go up to compensate, and I myself was a receipient of insurance repairs after that Blizzard of '99 in the midwest. So I understand the raise in rates.

But how will the banks/credit card companies recoop their losses?All losses, federal, state, or corporate, are passed onto John & Jane Consumer Citizen, and the losses are recouped through either, the prices, or taxes, we pay. We bear the burden.

Pepper
09-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Very shortly after 9/11, Congress voted to award the surviving family of the victims, an average of $2 million each. This was somewhat of a precedent, but the problem quickly became: "Where do you draw the line?" After the 9/11 award, the families of the Oklahoma City victims quickly stepped forward to ask why, they too, hadn't been compensated for their loss. Their complaint was indeed, justified. Now, with Katrina, it appears that each family? victim? household? will receive some designated amount of money. Again, the problem is: "Where should the line be drawn?" Families suffer catastrophes every day, and the government is not expected, nor do they, take responsibility for the families loss. When 9/11 occurred, I, along with so many, many, others, stepped up to the plate, and donated a sizeable amount of money (and not without personal sacrifice). Shortly thereafter when I found out, that the government was going to award the surviving families, a very large amount of money, I was a little upset that they were belittling the generosity, and responsibility, shown, by so many Americans, myself included. I did the same generous giving for the Tsunami, and am in the process of doing the same for the victims of Katrina, but when the government gets involved in sizeable outright grants, it becomes a giant turnoff for me. Of course their reputation for waste, inefficiency, and allowing so much abuse of the system, during disasters, has something to do with it.

Oh Buzz, you bring up a sore subject with me, and I guess I am in total agreement with you. Like you, I too gave at considerable personal sacrifice. But it didn't take me long to become disgusted when I learned that for every death the survivors would get something like $2 million. And some, refusing to take this settlement, WERE SUING for larger amounts! The greed that this program fostered made me ill.

I am truly sorry for all the people that died in this tragedy. But the fact remains that people die tragically every day through no fault of their own, and their families don't usually become millionaires in the process. I fear the same fate may come out of the Katrina crisis.

I am all for replacing all that these families lost. I am also in favor of providing these displaced people with jobs or training to secure jobs - anything that would enable them to become self-sufficient. However, I am wholeheartedly against making them instant millionaires, or in any monetary way elevating their economic status beyond what they lost - especially if it comes at the cost of taxpayers or consumers in the way of price hikes.

Ntegrity
09-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Congress voted to award the surviving family of the victims, an average of $2 million each.
Maybe we should garnish the wages of those in congress who voted for this. The U.S. government should NOT be responsible for paying victims of terrorist attacks, natural disasters, etc.!! Of course they've always been generous with *our* money.

LadyLuck
09-12-2005, 01:15 PM
I agree with all of you. I do not want anyone to suffer a loss. But a loss is a loss to everyone. I know a family that the father was killed in auto accident at early age. The mother had to go to work to try and take care of their four children. No one came and gave them $2 millions. I am sure you all know someone like that. I did not think the gov. should have given everyone that money but they wanted to help the airlines. I think we all should help get the people back onto their feet but should not make them rich in the process. I am not rich.- We pay so much in taxes, the government is out of controll. They are all very rich thanks to us. They do not think anything about spending $10, billion dollars. I wish there was something we all could do.

FACE-IT
09-12-2005, 01:31 PM
I agree with all of you. I do not want anyone to suffer a loss. But a loss is a loss to everyone. I know a family that the father was killed in auto accident at early age. The mother had to go to work to try and take care of their four children. No one came and gave them $2 millions. I am sure you all know someone like that. I did not think the gov. should have given everyone that money but they wanted to help the airlines. I think we all should help get the people back onto their feet but should not make them rich in the process. I am not rich.- We pay so much in taxes, the government is out of controll. They are all very rich thanks to us. They do not think anything about spending $10, billion dollars. I wish there was something we all could do.You're right LadyLuck, Congress voted for the $2 million windfall for 9/11 surviving families to keep the airlines from being sued. Everyday there are stories just like the one you cited, and the government isn't coming to their rescue. The aftermath of Katrina is turning into a greater debacle everyday; now they are deciding to allow the people who refused to leave, to stay. They are also allowing the business owners to come back in, to start cleaning up their businesses. What a fiasco. Leave it up to the government to create a situation like this. Bush is trying to do everything he can to salvage his image, and what we will most assuredly end up with is a quagmire laced with gratuities, and red tape; whatever can be done to make it more expensive for all of the rest of us.

less0305
09-12-2005, 01:51 PM
You're right LadyLuck, Congress voted for the $2 million windfall for 9/11 surviving families to keep the airlines from being sued. Everyday there are stories just like the one you cited, and the government isn't coming to their rescue. The aftermath of Katrina is turning into a greater debacle everyday; now they are deciding to allow the people who refused to leave, to stay. They are also allowing the business owners to come back in, to start cleaning up their businesses. What a fiasco. Leave it up to the government to create a situation like this. Bush is trying to do everything he can to salvage his image, and what we will most assuredly end up with is a quagmire laced with gratuities, and red tape; whatever can be done to make it more expensive for all of the rest of us.

Believe it or not, the President has nothing to do with allowing people back into their homes or businesses. But what I certainly DON'T want to hear later are people who wouldn't leave and people going back in prematurely - is lawsuits over some type of illnesses over toxicity and crap. The first time I hear of a lawsuit by one of these folks, I believe I will absolutely explode!!!

Jeana (DP)
09-12-2005, 02:01 PM
I think handing any of the families a chunk of cash is a very bad idea indeed. The government should offer low interest loans, job training and the like.

BirdieBoo
09-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Heck why not? Just print more money.....

BTW I'm thinking of switching to Euros.

JBean
09-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Very shortly after 9/11, Congress voted to award the surviving family of the victims, an average of $2 million each. This was somewhat of a precedent, but the problem quickly became: "Where do you draw the line?" After the 9/11 award, the families of the Oklahoma City victims quickly stepped forward to ask why, they too, hadn't been compensated for their loss. Their complaint was indeed, justified. Now, with Katrina, it appears that each family? victim? household? will receive some designated amount of money. Again, the problem is: "Where should the line be drawn?" Families suffer catastrophes every day, and the government is not expected, nor do they, take responsibility for the families loss. When 9/11 occurred, I, along with so many, many, others, stepped up to the plate, and donated a sizeable amount of money (and not without personal sacrifice). Shortly thereafter when I found out, that the government was going to award the surviving families, a very large amount of money, I was a little upset that they were belittling the generosity, and responsibility, shown, by so many Americans, myself included. I did the same generous giving for the Tsunami, and am in the process of doing the same for the victims of Katrina, but when the government gets involved in sizeable outright grants, it becomes a giant turnoff for me. Of course their reputation for waste, inefficiency, and allowing so much abuse of the system, during disasters, has something to do with it.Boy I sure am glad to see someone else bring this up. I was afraid I was not very compassionate thinking of this in these terms. Thanks Buzz.

less0305
09-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Boy I sure am glad to see someone else bring this up. I was afraid I was not very compassionate thinking of this in these terms. Thanks Buzz.

In the Polictical Forum there was some slight criticism of some members of Congress who voted no on the additional $50billion package. One of those members was my representative from NC. I called her office to find out about the no vote. She explained it to me that some members of Congress wanted more oversight on the money. Not that she wouldn't approve more money, but not at that big of a leap. She said she would have voted for another $10 mil this week and $10 mil next week and so on - but she wanted FEMA to come back each week and update what was going on and have more oversight on the money rather than just write a $50 bil blank check. Made complete sense to me. I was very satisfied with her answer on the no vote. I'm sure there will be so many criticisms on how the money is spent that maybe better oversight would have been a better idea.

Shadow205
09-12-2005, 09:34 PM
FEMA/Red Cross debit cards being used at luxery stores in Atlanta's Buckhead neighborhood says New York Daily News.

"We've seen three of the cards," said a senior employee of the Louis Vuitton store at the Lenox Square Mall in affluent Buckhead, who asked not to be named. "Two I'm certain have purchased; one actually asked if she could use it in the store. This has been since Saturday."

The distinctive white cards were distributed by the Red Cross and the Federal Emergency Management Agency and carry a value of up to $2,000.

"There's nothing legally that prevents us from taking it, unfortunately. Other than morally, it's wrong."

The source told me that the two women who had made purchases with the card each bought a signature monogrammed Louis Vuitton handbag in the $800 range.
more at the link http://www.cofcc.org/

This really bothers me.

JBean
09-12-2005, 09:59 PM
In the Polictical Forum there was some slight criticism of some members of Congress who voted no on the additional $50billion package. One of those members was my representative from NC. I called her office to find out about the no vote. She explained it to me that some members of Congress wanted more oversight on the money. Not that she wouldn't approve more money, but not at that big of a leap. She said she would have voted for another $10 mil this week and $10 mil next week and so on - but she wanted FEMA to come back each week and update what was going on and have more oversight on the money rather than just write a $50 bil blank check. Made complete sense to me. I was very satisfied with her answer on the no vote. I'm sure there will be so many criticisms on how the money is spent that maybe better oversight would have been a better idea.Oh wow great info. Just goes to hhow you there's more to the vote than yes or no. I think they should watch the money very closely.I'm quite concerned about how it is distributed.

Casshew
09-12-2005, 10:10 PM
The source told me that the two women who had made purchases with the card each bought a signature monogrammed Louis Vuitton handbag in the $800 range.

This really bothers me.
Do you have a legitimate news site reporting this?

tybee204
09-12-2005, 11:11 PM
It originated in a gossip column by Ben Widdiecombs in the New York Daily. A society gossip guy. Its not a news story. But some blogs are reporting it like News to fit there agendas.

The gossip story below this one starts like this lol

Which starlet amuses friends by carting her cocaine around town in a simply darling little Hello Kitty change purse?

http://www.nydailynews.com/06-11-2004/news/col/widdicombe/story/345034p-294601c.html

Details
09-13-2005, 01:23 AM
FEMA/Red Cross debit cards being used at luxery stores in Atlanta's Buckhead neighborhood says New York Daily News.

"We've seen three of the cards," said a senior employee of the Louis Vuitton store at the Lenox Square Mall in affluent Buckhead, who asked not to be named. "Two I'm certain have purchased; one actually asked if she could use it in the store. This has been since Saturday."

The distinctive white cards were distributed by the Red Cross and the Federal Emergency Management Agency and carry a value of up to $2,000.

"There's nothing legally that prevents us from taking it, unfortunately. Other than morally, it's wrong."

This really bothers me.Doesn't bother me - they get the choice of what to get with the money - it's not like they'll get more money for spending it foolishly (if they are - I'm sure some people are doing some dumb things with the money - people always do).

GonzoReiter
09-13-2005, 01:26 AM

This really bothers me.
Council of Citizens Mission Statement (http://www.cofcc.org/manifest.htm)

dani
09-13-2005, 02:42 AM

Hi Cass!

I heard it (the $800 purse story) on CNN a couple of nights ago. I also heard, again on TV news, that there has been enough money donated to give over $67,000 to every man, woman, and child affected by Katrina. Somethings terribly wrong with this picture. :rolleyes:

I also heard what Buzz was talking about…some Katrina survivors want the same $2M that the 9/11 families got.

dani

Casshew
09-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Hi dani, thats wild if it's true. Who could lose everything they have and then buy a designer purse to make it better? :waitasec:

Someone really screwed up, thats who

DEPUTYDAWG
09-13-2005, 08:31 AM
In the Polictical Forum there was some slight criticism of some members of Congress who voted no on the additional $50billion package. One of those members was my representative from NC. I called her office to find out about the no vote. She explained it to me that some members of Congress wanted more oversight on the money. Not that she wouldn't approve more money, but not at that big of a leap. She said she would have voted for another $10 mil this week and $10 mil next week and so on - but she wanted FEMA to come back each week and update what was going on and have more oversight on the money rather than just write a $50 bil blank check. Made complete sense to me. I was very satisfied with her answer on the no vote. I'm sure there will be so many criticisms on how the money is spent that maybe better oversight would have been a better idea.

That's very interesting, thanks for the info! Guess it just goes to show there's often more to the story than the little blurbs we see on TV.

less0305
09-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Hi dani, thats wild if it's true. Who could lose everything they have and then buy a designer purse to make it better? :waitasec:

Someone really screwed up, thats who

If the story is true, I tend to believe it was someone who got the card fraudulently and wasn't a true Katrina survivor. But that's simply a wild guess on my part.

less0305
09-13-2005, 08:54 AM
That's very interesting, thanks for the info! Guess it just goes to show there's often more to the story than the little blurbs we see on TV.

I like Virginia Fox. I've known her a long time. And I like the fact that I can call her up and talk to her. She's very accessible and she thinks through things carefully. I don't always agree with her 100%, but at least she takes the time and effort to give you her frame of mind and thought process and I respect that about her.

HeartofTexas
09-13-2005, 12:28 PM
And here in Texas, where 240,000 evacuees are now residing, FEMA announced they will NOT be paying for textbooks, or new teachers, to educate the thousands of Katrina children. They'll pay for new computers and some other items, but NOT textbooks. The Texas school system is already drowning in debt and several special sessions in Congress have not brought answers to our financial problems. Now we have thousands and thousands of additional children we'll be educating, but FEMA doesn't consider textbooks for them to be a priority. There's something wrong with this picture.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-13-2005, 12:35 PM
And here in Texas, where 240,000 evacuees are now residing, FEMA announced they will NOT be paying for textbooks, or new teachers, to educate the thousands of Katrina children. They'll pay for new computers and some other items, but NOT textbooks. The Texas school system is already drowning in debt and several special sessions in Congress have not brought answers to our financial problems. Now we have thousands and thousands of additional children we'll be educating, but FEMA doesn't consider textbooks for them to be a priority. There's something wrong with this picture.

Yes, I read that in our Waco paper this morning, as well.

FACE-IT
09-13-2005, 01:07 PM
If the story is true, I tend to believe it was someone who got the card fraudulently and wasn't a true Katrina survivor. But that's simply a wild guess on my part.During the two days, or so, that FEMA was issuing the $2,000 debit cards, rest assured that even in that short period of time, abuse of the system took place. The criteria they were using to issue the cards was very unclear--I heard reports of one to a family, one for every person, one for every address; it didn't seem as if they established a valid criteria as to who was going to receive the cards. It was a very bad idea to begin with.

jannuncutt
09-13-2005, 01:10 PM
I just heard it on the news. There is definitely something wrong with this. Texas has stepped up to the plate and they shouldn't get screwed because of it. FEMA needs to start using some common sense and get its act together. I think that after more coverage is given to this outrageous FEMA determination, the decision will be reversed. I hope and pray that it will.

tybee204
09-13-2005, 01:15 PM
I have heard several different stories on the cards as well. One being that those issued the cards couldnt get ATM cash with them only merchandise etc. They sold the cards at 50 cents on the $ for cash to pay deposits on apartments etc.

I have no idea if thats true so I just look at it as gossip unless its confirmed.

Details
09-13-2005, 01:52 PM
I also heard, again on TV news, that there has been enough money donated to give over $67,000 to every man, woman, and child affected by Katrina. Somethings terribly wrong with this picture. :rolleyes: That's why I love the Red Cross's policy of using donated money where it is needed - not always on the same disaster that was going on when the money was donated. A big, emotional disaster like this often gets more money than is needed, while a fire that destroys a bunch of houses gets less money that is needed to help the people hurt there.

Details
09-13-2005, 01:54 PM
I just heard it on the news. There is definitely something wrong with this. Texas has stepped up to the plate and they shouldn't get screwed because of it. FEMA needs to start using some common sense and get its act together. I think that after more coverage is given to this outrageous FEMA determination, the decision will be reversed. I hope and pray that it will.Hopefully the new FEMA head will start reversing some of these dumb decisions - too much money untracked, and too little given where it is needed.

dani
09-14-2005, 03:55 AM
That's why I love the Red Cross's policy of using donated money where it is needed - not always on the same disaster that was going on when the money was donated. A big, emotional disaster like this often gets more money than is needed, while a fire that destroys a bunch of houses gets less money that is needed to help the people hurt there.

Hi Details!

I really have never researched the Red Cross policies and methods, but when my husband was in the Navy during the Korean conflict he and his shipmates developed a bad taste for the Red Cross and he won't donate to them. One of his shipmates mother became seriously ill and not expected to live. He got an emergency leave to go be with her, but he didn't have the money to fly home. The commander contacted the Red Cross to help him out. He had to sign a bunch of paperwork then they gave him the money and he flew home and got there just before his mother died.

However, upon his return to the ship and receiving his next paycheck he learned that the Red Cross had merely *loaned* him the money and they left him with only $5.00 from each of his paychecks for the next several months. (His fellow sailors took up a collection each pay period and gave it to him during this period.) This bothers me because the money the Red Cross receives is donated. It's not their money. It's for emergency situations.

After typing the above I did a google search and found this: http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/donations2.html I guess things haven't changed. Sounds like the Red Cross is still in the *loan business*. I'll have to do some more research though.

dani

kato
09-14-2005, 07:56 AM

Also, the taxpayers of Harris County will most likely be paying for the evacuees expenses incurred by the city. Mayor White said he didn't/hasn't asked for government help yet as his 1st priority is getting the evacuees settled in long term places. The state/fed. government will probably not foot the whole bill. Oh well, what's new?

less0305
09-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Hi Details!

I really have never researched the Red Cross policies and methods, but when my husband was in the Navy during the Korean conflict he and his shipmates developed a bad taste for the Red Cross and he won't donate to them. One of his shipmates mother became seriously ill and not expected to live. He got an emergency leave to go be with her, but he didn't have the money to fly home. The commander contacted the Red Cross to help him out. He had to sign a bunch of paperwork then they gave him the money and he flew home and got there just before his mother died.

However, upon his return to the ship and receiving his next paycheck he learned that the Red Cross had merely *loaned* him the money and they left him with only $5.00 from each of his paychecks for the next several months. (His fellow sailors took up a collection each pay period and gave it to him during this period.) This bothers me because the money the Red Cross receives is donated. It's not their money. It's for emergency situations.

After typing the above I did a google search and found this: http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/donations2.html I guess things haven't changed. Sounds like the Red Cross is still in the *loan business*. I'll have to do some more research though.

dani

dani,

This happened to my husband and I when his mother was in a cardiac care unit after suffering a heart attack and not expected to live - we were in the Air Force - dirt poor!! We got funds from the Red Cross to fly home - and maybe in the heat of being upset and all we didn't understand it was a "loan." But once we were back and settled down and pay time rolled around - deduction for the "loan" started coming out of hubby's A.F. check. I imagine we were told it was a loan, but being young, being upset, it wasn't what we understood at the time and was kind of surprise later.

My mom on the other hand - she was in the W.A.F. (Women's Air Force) back when it was sort of a separate entity - was dirt poor and had to get back home for an emergency. Salvation Army gave her the funds to go home and back, a winter coat (civilian one - cuz she didn't have one and it was in the middle of winter), and money for food. Never asked for a single dime back. So the Salvation Army was always the charitable organization that my mom and dad gave to when we were young'uns and I continue that now as an adult. That and the United Way, Disabled American Veterans, the local animal shelter, and our local Hospice.

LadyLuck
09-14-2005, 10:39 AM
I have had my doubts about Red Cross for a long time. They take in a lot of money when things like this happen. They have been running full page ads in the local paper asking for money. I received a letter in the mail this week asking for money. I am giving to individual churchs that have made a difference. When you read the articles you hear of indivduals making a difference. Business men renting trucks and getting the first water and food to areas (that have not s een the RC) You read of churchs taking food, water clothes and setting up camps to help. 3 local businessmen have already made 3 runs down to the area. the last one was to take socks and underware. Red cross set up a center here for you to apply for disaster relief and ran out of cards and shut down for several days.

HeartofTexas
09-14-2005, 11:13 AM
I've been afraid to bring up this topic for fear of everyone pouncing on me! But I've heard stories for years about some pretty ruthless practices by the Red Cross. I gave a small amount to the Red Cross for Katrina's evacuees, but gave larger amounts to individual charities that are helping. I think in this particular instance the Red Cross has to do good work or the publicity they receive will be horrific... and from everything I've read, they are doing good work. I've read some odd things in the Dallas paper, though. They had asked for new volunteers, and 5,000 new ones were signed up and were trained... but not one of them had been called to serve yet. The very next day, however, the news was showing how the Dallas chapter of RC was requesting 40,000 more volunteers. If you haven't yet used the first 5,000 new volunteers, why would you need 40,000 more? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that but just that it's confusing to understand.

tybee204
09-14-2005, 11:53 AM
The way I understand it is they need 40,000 new trained volunteers to be ready to go. There are 20,000 Red Cross Volunteers serving in the Gulf Region. Every 3 weeks they need to rotate them out and more in. The ones they are training now will likely rotate in to the Gulf in about 2-4 weeks for a 3 week service.

My youngest son is going threw the training now and will likely be sent in 3 weeks for a 3 week service.

kato
09-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Not the right thread I'm sure.

Anyway, we have a new radio station in town here. They showed them broadcasting live from the Astrodome. They said they established it to help the evacuees have a taste of home by playing music from their region. It will also be broadcasting info. for people telling them where, how, etc. to get help.

j2mirish
09-14-2005, 01:38 PM
VERY VERY WRONG WITH THAT PICTURE:doh: (http://websleuths.com/forums/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

Its is bad enough we have to watch the horrors on the streets- then listen to how the govt is ( or isnt) going to handle it--but- if they get 2 million dollar settlements as has been throw out there....guess they wont need to school the children....:banghead:

Shadow205
09-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Cass, I saw this story on CNN, FOX or one of those the other night but when I went looking for it online couldn't find it. Sorry that I posted from the source that I did, it was the only place that I could find it again.

deanws
09-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Maybe we should garnish the wages of those in congress who voted for this. The U.S. government should NOT be responsible for paying victims of terrorist attacks, natural disasters, etc.!! Of course they've always been generous with *our* money.Exactly Ntegrity! :clap: :clap:

Jules
09-17-2005, 10:51 AM
The way I understand it is they need 40,000 new trained volunteers to be ready to go. There are 20,000 Red Cross Volunteers serving in the Gulf Region. Every 3 weeks they need to rotate them out and more in. The ones they are training now will likely rotate in to the Gulf in about 2-4 weeks for a 3 week service.

My youngest son is going threw the training now and will likely be sent in 3 weeks for a 3 week service.

My husband's aunt has worked for the Red Cross out of Savannah for years. She is here in Houston doing a 3-week rotation as well. She said it's been very tough - for all.

deanws
09-17-2005, 10:57 AM
My husband's aunt has worked for the Red Cross out of Savannah for years. She is here in Houston doing a 3-week rotation as well. She said it's been very tough - for all.Bless her heart. I admire those who serve to help. :angel: Little angel for her.:angel:

Jules
09-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Bless here heart. I admire those who serve to help. :angel: Little angel for her.:angel:

Thanks. I'll pass that along to her. :blowkiss:

deanws
09-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Also, the taxpayers of Harris County will most likely be paying for the evacuees expenses incurred by the city. Mayor White said he didn't/hasn't asked for government help yet as his 1st priority is getting the evacuees settled in long term places. The state/fed. government will probably not foot the whole bill. Oh well, what's new?Our schools are already in trouble in Texas!!!!! Not enough money to go around as it is! I am sure you know this as well by looking at the cost of your school taxes. I was a teacher for 20 years in Goose Creek ISD (Baytown). There are just so many ways to make that dollar stretch. Gosh!!!!!!!!!! This is a financial mess for us all.:(

BillyGoatGruff
09-17-2005, 01:19 PM
I have had my doubts about Red Cross for a long time. They take in a lot of money when things like this happen. They have been running full page ads in the local paper asking for money. I received a letter in the mail this week asking for money. I am giving to individual churchs that have made a difference. When you read the articles you hear of indivduals making a difference. Business men renting trucks and getting the first water and food to areas (that have not s een the RC) You read of churchs taking food, water clothes and setting up camps to help. 3 local businessmen have already made 3 runs down to the area. the last one was to take socks and underware. Red cross set up a center here for you to apply for disaster relief and ran out of cards and shut down for several days.
I'm just sending money direct to a couple of families who lost everything (house, car, belongings, jobs). But then I'm in a position where I actually physically KNOW the people. It's not an abstraction, as it is in many people's cases. I would recommend you simply donate your money to your local church, if they have set up a relief effort. More % of your money is apt to get to the people involved.

deanws
09-17-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm just sending money direct to a couple of families who lost everything (house, car, belongings, jobs). But then I'm in a position where I actually physically KNOW the people. It's not an abstraction, as it is in many people's cases. I would recommend you simply donate your money to your local church, if they have set up a relief effort. More % of your money is apt to get to the people involved.I agree. We have sorta adopted a family. They followed us down to our farm when we decided to get out of the Houston area for a while. They didn't let any grass grow under their feet through.:innocent: They all got out and got jobs. They are liking this farm life so much...they say they might stay. It is good for the children too!

mysteriew
09-17-2005, 04:22 PM
The Louisiana agency responsible for doling out post-Katrina aid had problems spending money correctly, including the arrest of three senior officials.

FEMA disagrees and claims that the state hasn't made enough changes.

Three state officials have been charged in relation to the mismanagement of money and two have been identified as co-conspirators but have not been indicted.

Federal investigators and auditors are going to be placed throughout the gulf coast, including Louisiana, to ensure the relief funds are spent properly.

The Los Angeles Times reports that before Hurricane Katrina ravaged the state, the Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness was being investigated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency for misuse of funds.

FEMA claims the state owes them more than $30 million to recover such money.

Investigators are trying to locate an additional $60 million that was given to the state between 1998 and 2005.
http://pub2.bravenet.com/news/92920030/10923/1

dani
09-18-2005, 03:09 PM
To add to our discussion of the Red Cross:

“It was absolutely an unbelievable response. People called with buses, food, clothes. We brought enough food to feed everybody in the Civic Center for two days, and we had enough medical supplies to treat at least 7,000 people,” David Rotter, chief operations officer of Patriot Emergency Medical Services, said.

The Ohio volunteers were caught off-guard when their good will was met with “hostility from the Red Cross,” Rotter said." (full story at the link)

http://epaper.americanpress.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=QW1QLzIwMDUvMDkvMTgjQXIwMDEwMg==&Mode=HTML&Locale=english-skin-custom

dani

P.S. MysteryView~Thank you for posting that. I've been looking for info pertaining to what you shared! (We KNEW it was going to happen, didn't we?) :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

FACE-IT
09-22-2005, 02:50 AM
Post deleted as the email was phony

GonzoReiter
09-22-2005, 03:40 AM
I received the following in an email from a childhood friend:

Thought I might inform the few friends I have on my recent traumatic
experience. I am going to tell it straight, blunt, raw, and I don't give a
damn. Long read, I know but please do read!!!

I went to volunteer on Saturday at the George R. Brown Convention for two reasons:

A: I wanted to help people to get a warm fuzzy. B: Curiosity.

I've been watching the news lately and have seen scenes that have made me want to vomit. And no it wasn't dead bodies, the city under water, or the sludge everywhere. It was PEOPLE"S BEHAVIOR. The people on T. V. (99% being black) where DEMANDING help. They were not asking nicely but demanding as if society owed these people something. Well the honest truth is WE DON'T.

Help should be asked for in a kind manner and then appreciated. This is not what the press (FOX in particular) was showing. What I was seeing on T.V. was a group of people who are yelling, demanding, looting, killing, raping, and SHOOTING back at the demanded help!!!!! So I'm thinking this can't possibly be true can it???? So I decide to submit to the DEMAND for help out of SHOCK. I couldn't believe this to be true of the majority of the people who are the weakest of society. So I went to volunteer and help folks out and see the truth. I will tell the following story and you decide:

I arrived in New Orleans is discovered and went to the Astrodome only to find out that there are too many volunteers and that volunteers were needed in Houston at the George R. Brown Convention Center, so I continued on to Houston.

As I was walking up to the Convention Center I noticed a line of cars that wrapped around blocks filled with donations. These where ordinary Houstonians coming with truckloads and trunks full of water,
diapers, clothes, blankets, food, all types of good stuff. And lots of it
was NEW. I felt that warm fuzzy while helping unload these vehicles of
these wonderful human beings. I then went inside the building and noticed approximately 100,000 sq. ft. of clothes, shoes, jackets, toys and all types of goodies all organized and ready for the people in need. I signed up, received a name badge and was on my merry way excited to be useful.

I toured the place to get familiar with my surrounding; the entire place is probably around 2 million sq. ft. I noticed rows and rows of mattresses, not cots, BLOW UP MATTRESSES!!! All of which had nice
pillows and plenty of blankets. 2 to 3 bottles of water lay on every bed.
These full size to queen size beds by the way were comfortable, I laid in one to see for myself. I went to look at the medical area. I couldn't
believe what my eyes were seeing!!! A makeshift hospital created in 24
hours!!!

It was unbelievable, they even had a pharmacy. I also noticed that they created showers, which would also have hot water. I went upstairs to
the third floor to find a HUGE cafeteria created in under 24 hours! Rows of tables, chairs and food everywhere - enough to feed an army! I'm not talking about crap food either. They had Jason's deli food, apples, oranges, coke, diet coke, lemonade, orange juice, cookies, all types of chips and sandwiches. All the beverages by the way was put on ice and chilled!!!! In a matter of about 24 hours or less an entire mini-city was erected by volunteers for the poor evacuees. This was not your rundown crap shelter, it was BUM HEAVEN.

So that was the layout: great food, comfy beds, clean showers, free medicalhelp. By the way there was a library and a theater room I forgot to mention.

Great stuff right????

Well here is what happened on my journey -

I started by handing out COLD water bottles to evacuees as they got off the bus. Many would take them and only 20% or less said thank you. Lots of them would shake their heads and ask for sodas! So this went on for about 20-30 minutes until I was sick of being an unappreciated servant. I figured certainly these folks would appreciate some food!!! So I went upstairs to serve these beloved evacuees some GOOD food that I wish I could have at the moment!

***The following statements are graphic, truthful, and discuss IRRATIONAL behavior***

Evacuees come slowly to receive this mountain of food that is worth serving to a king! I tell them that we have 2 types of great deli sandwiches to choose from - ham and turkey. Many look at the food in disgust and DEMAND burgers, pizza, and even McDonalds!!!! Jason's deli is better than McDonalds!!!! Only 1 out of ten people who took something would say "Thank you," the rest took items as if it was their God given right to be served without a shred of appreciation!!!

They would ask for beer and liquor. They complained that we didn't have good enough food. They refused food and laughed at us. They treated us volunteers as if we where SLAVES. No, not all of them of course, but 70% did!!!!!! 20% were appreciative, 10% took the food without any comment and the other 70% had some disgusting comment to say. Some had the nerve to laugh at us. And when I snapped back at them for being mean, they would curse at me!!! Needless to say I was in utter shock.

They would eat their food and leave their mess on the table. Some would pick up their stuff; many would leave it for the volunteers to pick up. I left that real quick to go down and help set up some more beds. I saw many young ladies carrying mattresses, and I helped for a while. Then I realized something. There were hundreds of able bodied young men who could help!! I asked a group of young evacuees in their teens and early twenties to help.

I got cursed at for asking them to help!!! One said "We just lost our
******ing homes and you want us to work!!"

The next said "Ya Cracker, you got a home we don't".

I looked at them in disbelief. Here are women walking by carrying THEIR BEDS and they can't lift a finger and help themselves!!

WHY SHOULD I HELP PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO HELP THEMSELVES!!!!

I waved them off and turned away and was laughed at and more. "White boy jokes" were made at me. I felt no need to waste my breath on a bunch of pitiful losers. I went to a nearby restroom where I noticed a man shaving. I used the restroom, washed my hands and saw this man throw his razor towards the trash can... he missed. He walked out leaving his disgusting razor on the floor for some "cracker" to pick up.

Even the little kids were demanding. I saw only ONE white family and only TWO Hispanic families. The rest were blacks. Sorry, 20% to 30% decent blacks and 70% LOSERS!!!!!

These people were not ignorant.. they where ARROGANT. The majority of which are thugs and lifetime lazy welfare recipients. We are inviting the lowest of the low to Houston. And like idiots we are serving the people who will soon steal our cars, rape, murder, and destroy our city while stealing from our pockets on a daily basis through the welfare checks they take. We will fund our own destruction.

By "US" I don't mean a specific race, I mean the people who work hard, work smart, have values and morals. Only people who want to help themselves should be helped, the others should be allowed to destroy themselves. I do not want to work hard, give the government close to half the money I earn so they can in turn give it to a bunch of losers.

I don't believe in being poor for life. My family immigrated here, we came here poor, and now thank God, and due to HARD WORK we are doing fine. If immigrants, who come here, don't know the language, can work and become successful... WHY CAN'T THE MAJORITY OF THE HOMEGROWN DO IT!!! If we continue to reward these losers then we will soon destroy our great country.

I just witnessed selfish, arrogant, unappreciative behavior by the very people who need help the most. Now these same people who cursed me, refused my city's generosity, who refuse to help themselves are DEMANDING handouts on their own terms!!!!!!! They prance around as if they are owed something, and when they do receive a handout, they say it's not good enough! Well you know what.. these types of people can go to hell for all I care!

Richard L. Johnston, M. D.
University of Mississippi Medical Center
3805 Crane Blvd.
Jackson, MS 39216
601-981-3896 (home)
601-573-0472 (cell)
601-984-0214 (pager)
Urban Legends (http://www.snopes.com/katrina/personal/volunteer.asp)

dani
09-22-2005, 03:42 AM
Wow, Buzz! Thank you for sharing the email. I'm stunned…and don't quite know what to say. But I'm printing it out for my DH to read.

To think the American taxpayer will be footing the bill for these ingrates for years to come is disturbing. It sure makes it hard to "Love Thy Neighbor" when people behave this way and mistreat those that volunteer their time and money to help them.

Perhaps the good people of Houston should look at "Rita" as a blessing in disguise. I read that about 40% to 50% had planned on staying in Houston. Maybe they will just stay wherever they land during this 2nd evacuation. Of course that just makes them someone else's problem. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry for your friend.

dani

GonzoReiter
09-22-2005, 04:02 AM
My name is Richard L. Johnston. I'm the physician who allegedly wrote the long email about my experience at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston where Katrina evacuees from New Orleans were housed.

I've never been to the George R. Brown Convention Center, and I have not been to Houston in more than 10 years. During the crisis of the last two weeks, I've been here in Jackson, Mississippi, taking care of evacuees from the Gulf Coast transferred to our VA Medical Center here where I'm the chief medical resident.

I did not write the email about the Brown Convention Center, but I did receive it and did forward it to several friends. The forwarded message included my signature block and that's why it was assumed that I wrote the email. However, in forwarding the message, I made a very bad error in judgment, and I deeply apologize for any hurt or discomfort I've caused others by doing so.

I've learned a hard and difficult lesson and I hope those of you who read this have also. Too much of what we all mindlessly forward through cyberspace can only be termed fictious, unsubstantiated trash. The appropriate receptacle is a garbage can. http://www.snopes.com/katrina/personal/volunteer.asp (http://www.snopes.com/katrina/personal/volunteer.asp)

FACE-IT
09-22-2005, 11:31 AM
http://www.snopes.com/katrina/personal/volunteer.asp (http://www.snopes.com/katrina/personal/volunteer.asp)Gonzo, thanks for finding that. I probably should have known better, being that it is a widely circulated email. Got sucked in, yet again.

GonzoReiter
09-22-2005, 11:53 AM
thanks, Buzz

I was hoping to clear that one up before it got out of hand here. Those bogus e-mails are EZ to spot, tho...

I'm sorry to report the theme of that e-mail seems to be uppermost in some poster's minds these days... and they're not limited to just this Forum.

jannuncutt
09-22-2005, 01:24 PM
I received the following in an email from a childhood friend:

Thought I might inform the few friends I have on my recent traumatic
experience. I am going to tell it straight, blunt, raw, and I don't give a
damn. Long read, I know but please do read!!!

I went to volunteer on Saturday at the George R. Brown Convention for two reasons:

A: I wanted to help people to get a warm fuzzy. B: Curiosity.

I've been watching the news lately and have seen scenes that have made me want to vomit. And no it wasn't dead bodies, the city under water, or the sludge everywhere. It was PEOPLE"S BEHAVIOR. The people on T. V. (99% being black) where DEMANDING help. They were not asking nicely but demanding as if society owed these people something. Well the honest truth is WE DON'T.

Help should be asked for in a kind manner and then appreciated. This is not what the press (FOX in particular) was showing. What I was seeing on T.V. was a group of people who are yelling, demanding, looting, killing, raping, and SHOOTING back at the demanded help!!!!! So I'm thinking this can't possibly be true can it???? So I decide to submit to the DEMAND for help out of SHOCK. I couldn't believe this to be true of the majority of the people who are the weakest of society. So I went to volunteer and help folks out and see the truth. I will tell the following story and you decide:

I arrived in New Orleans is discovered and went to the Astrodome only to find out that there are too many volunteers and that volunteers were needed in Houston at the George R. Brown Convention Center, so I continued on to Houston.

As I was walking up to the Convention Center I noticed a line of cars that wrapped around blocks filled with donations. These where ordinary Houstonians coming with truckloads and trunks full of water,
diapers, clothes, blankets, food, all types of good stuff. And lots of it
was NEW. I felt that warm fuzzy while helping unload these vehicles of
these wonderful human beings. I then went inside the building and noticed approximately 100,000 sq. ft. of clothes, shoes, jackets, toys and all types of goodies all organized and ready for the people in need. I signed up, received a name badge and was on my merry way excited to be useful.

I toured the place to get familiar with my surrounding; the entire place is probably around 2 million sq. ft. I noticed rows and rows of mattresses, not cots, BLOW UP MATTRESSES!!! All of which had nice
pillows and plenty of blankets. 2 to 3 bottles of water lay on every bed.
These full size to queen size beds by the way were comfortable, I laid in one to see for myself. I went to look at the medical area. I couldn't
believe what my eyes were seeing!!! A makeshift hospital created in 24
hours!!!

It was unbelievable, they even had a pharmacy. I also noticed that they created showers, which would also have hot water. I went upstairs to
the third floor to find a HUGE cafeteria created in under 24 hours! Rows of tables, chairs and food everywhere - enough to feed an army! I'm not talking about crap food either. They had Jason's deli food, apples, oranges, coke, diet coke, lemonade, orange juice, cookies, all types of chips and sandwiches. All the beverages by the way was put on ice and chilled!!!! In a matter of about 24 hours or less an entire mini-city was erected by volunteers for the poor evacuees. This was not your rundown crap shelter, it was BUM HEAVEN.

So that was the layout: great food, comfy beds, clean showers, free medicalhelp. By the way there was a library and a theater room I forgot to mention.

Great stuff right????

Well here is what happened on my journey -

I started by handing out COLD water bottles to evacuees as they got off the bus. Many would take them and only 20% or less said thank you. Lots of them would shake their heads and ask for sodas! So this went on for about 20-30 minutes until I was sick of being an unappreciated servant. I figured certainly these folks would appreciate some food!!! So I went upstairs to serve these beloved evacuees some GOOD food that I wish I could have at the moment!

***The following statements are graphic, truthful, and discuss IRRATIONAL behavior***

Evacuees come slowly to receive this mountain of food that is worth serving to a king! I tell them that we have 2 types of great deli sandwiches to choose from - ham and turkey. Many look at the food in disgust and DEMAND burgers, pizza, and even McDonalds!!!! Jason's deli is better than McDonalds!!!! Only 1 out of ten people who took something would say "Thank you," the rest took items as if it was their God given right to be served without a shred of appreciation!!!

They would ask for beer and liquor. They complained that we didn't have good enough food. They refused food and laughed at us. They treated us volunteers as if we where SLAVES. No, not all of them of course, but 70% did!!!!!! 20% were appreciative, 10% took the food without any comment and the other 70% had some disgusting comment to say. Some had the nerve to laugh at us. And when I snapped back at them for being mean, they would curse at me!!! Needless to say I was in utter shock.

They would eat their food and leave their mess on the table. Some would pick up their stuff; many would leave it for the volunteers to pick up. I left that real quick to go down and help set up some more beds. I saw many young ladies carrying mattresses, and I helped for a while. Then I realized something. There were hundreds of able bodied young men who could help!! I asked a group of young evacuees in their teens and early twenties to help.

I got cursed at for asking them to help!!! One said "We just lost our
******ing homes and you want us to work!!"

I looked at them in disbelief. Here are women walking by carrying THEIR BEDS and they can't lift a finger and help themselves!!

I waved them off and turned away and was laughed at and more. "White boy jokes" were made at me. I felt no need to waste my breath on a bunch of pitiful losers. I went to a nearby restroom where I noticed a man shaving. I used the restroom, washed my hands and saw this man throw his razor towards the trash can... he missed. He walked out leaving his disgusting razor on the floor for some "cracker" to pick up.

Even the little kids were demanding. I saw only ONE white family and only TWO Hispanic families. The rest were blacks. Sorry, 20% to 30% decent blacks and 70% LOSERS!!!!!

These people were not ignorant.. they where ARROGANT. The majority of which are thugs and lifetime lazy welfare recipients. We are inviting the lowest of the low to Houston. And like idiots we are serving the people who will soon steal our cars, rape, murder, and destroy our city while stealing from our pockets on a daily basis through the welfare checks they take. We will fund our own destruction.

By "US" I don't mean a specific race, I mean the people who work hard, work smart, have values and morals. Only people who want to help themselves should be helped, the others should be allowed to destroy themselves. I do not want to work hard, give the government close to half the money I earn so they can in turn give it to a bunch of losers.

I don't believe in being poor for life. My family immigrated here, we came here poor, and now thank God, and due to HARD WORK we are doing fine. If immigrants, who come here, don't know the language, can work and become successful... WHY CAN'T THE MAJORITY OF THE HOMEGROWN DO IT!!! If we continue to reward these losers then we will soon destroy our great country.

I just witnessed selfish, arrogant, unappreciative behavior by the very people who need help the most. Now these same people who cursed me, refused my city's generosity, who refuse to help themselves are DEMANDING handouts on their own terms!!!!!!! They prance around as if they are owed something, and when they do receive a handout, they say it's not good enough! Well you know what.. these types of people can go to hell for all I care!

Richard L. Johnston, M. D.
University of Mississippi Medical Center
3805 Crane Blvd.
Jackson, MS 39216
601-981-3896 (home)
601-573-0472 (cell)
601-984-0214 (pager)
I think that this is a bunch of crap - I don't believe it!

jannuncutt
09-22-2005, 01:35 PM
I've just finished reading the rest of this thread. I knew that this was bogus from the beginning. It is against what we have seen and heard from the evacuees - to the volunteers. What do you think was intent of the e-mail and, how many people do you think jumped on its bandwagon? And,....why?

tybee204
09-22-2005, 02:15 PM
This type of fear based/hate based propaganda surfaces everytime people are rattled out of their comfort zones.

Amraann
09-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Tybee I agree.
The White supreemies are probably having a field day.
I just can't imagine buying into anything that even hints at racism.
Have none of us seen whites on Welfare or rude or messy?

TO me this issue isn't about skin color its about thousands of people being left homeless.
And the problems arising out of that would have arisen with any demographic group so why race is being brought into it I don't understand.

When Andrew hit Homestead there were plenty of rude white people. Many poor White people, Many on Drugs and many who screwed the system.
The same problems with the mentally ill occured. SO skin color is not the issue except for those who wish to buy into such thinking.

These people are under extreme stress regardless of their skin color.

I can't believe that in this day and age people still think such things.

deanws
09-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Tybee I agree.

TO me this issue isn't about skin color its about thousands of people being left homeless.
And the problems arising out of that would have arisen with any demographic group so why race is being brought into it I don't understand.

When Andrew hit Homestead there were plenty of rude white people. Many poor White people, Many on Drugs and many who screwed the system.
The same problems with the mentally ill occured. SO skin color is not the issue except for those who wish to buy into such thinking.

I can't believe that in this day and age people still think such things.OK...now why does everyone seem to think that a person is racist just because they are upset and horrified concerning the behavior of the Katrina victims!?!?! There were other races besides blacks that lived in NO. I am VERY upset with what I have witnessed in regard to their behavior. BUT....why do many assume it has to do with the color of their skin? Last time I checked, laziness, rudeness, and just a low morality factor comes in ALL races, genders, regions. I find it a bit troubling when the race card is played so often. A person can have feelings of anger without them being tied to a racial point of view. Believe me, no one race or gender has the market covered on acting" trashy"! We all share it equally.

jannuncutt
09-22-2005, 04:16 PM
OK...now why does everyone seem to think that a person is racist just because they are upset and horrified concerning the behavior of the Katrina victims!?!?! There were other races besides blacks that lived in NO. I am VERY upset with what I have witnessed in regard to their behavior. BUT....why do many assume it has to do with the color of their skin? Last time I checked, laziness, rudeness, and just a low morality factor comes in ALL races, genders, regions. I find it a bit troubling when the race card is played so often. A person can have feelings of anger without them being tied to a racial point of view. Believe me, no one race or gender has the market covered on acting" trashy"! We all share it equally. You don't think that the e-mail we are referring to is racist? :doh:

tybee204
09-22-2005, 04:27 PM
The bogus email was racist. That is what I was commenting on.

and this...

Since the entire email is bogus the only purpose of writing the filth is to spread fear , hatred and racism.

I saw the same thing occur when a large population of Vietnamese migrated to Calidornia in the 70's. Same bogus lies, same mass hysteria, same degradation of a population of people in need.

Same spread of hatred and fear.

deanws
09-22-2005, 04:28 PM
You don't think that the e-mail we are referring to is racist? :doh:I am speaking about the media coverage accusing the Houstonians of behaving racist. I assumed revealing the letter to be a fraud took care of the discussion pertaining to that. I think the person who forged his name to that letter should be charged with forgery. I can imagine it embarrassed him. Again, I will state my feelings on the subject...racism is a sign of ignorance.

deanws
09-22-2005, 04:37 PM
The bogus email was racist. That is what I was commenting on.

and this...

Since the entire email is bogus the only purpose of writing the filth is to spread fear , hatred and racism.

I saw the same thing occur when a large population of Vietnamese migrated to Calidornia in the 70's. Same bogus lies, same mass hysteria, same degradation of a population of people in need.

Same spread of hatred and fear.SHHHHH tybee....you are telling your age! :silenced: LOL. You remember READING about it...;) as you are far too young to have seen it in person. :D

tybee204
09-22-2005, 04:45 PM
LOL I was in high school in the 70's. I worked with the Hmong families that migrated to Fresno and Modesto in the early 90's and the same thing occurred there as well. There was a clash of cultures but the same fears arose and the same rumors.

GonzoReiter
09-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Tybee I agree.

I can't believe that in this day and age people still think such things.
This thread was headed for the dumpster after about a dozen posts. I wouldn't have posted on it at all if some members hadn't persisted in feeding it with mis-info and skinhead links.

Yup, even in this day and age, you can believe that closet door will open given even the slightest opportunity.

LovelyPigeon
09-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Emails are really so easy to check out for verification! Why accept everything in email as being legit when it's known that so much of email is pure @$@!

If you get some pronouncement in email about ANYthing it's likely to be bogus. Be suspect of it, and check it out before "sharing" what may need retracting.