PDA

View Full Version : Bush chooses new FEMA director

tybee204
09-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Career firefighter, ranking FEMA official will replace Mike Brown

WASHINGTON - The White House picked a top FEMA official with three decades of firefighting experience to be FEMA's new director, senior administration sources said Monday.

R. David Paulison, head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s emergency preparedness force, will lead the beleaguered agency, according to three administration sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement had not yet been made.

Bush's decision followed FEMA Director Mike Brown's announcement that he was resigning “in the best interest of the agency and best interest of the president,” three days after losing his on-site command of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9315184/

concernedperson
09-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Yea, someone with qualifications! See it is a step in the right direction. I knew if they thought long and hard enough it would come to them. Just a growth process all governments should go through even if it is after the fact.

JBean
09-12-2005, 07:57 PM
MY sister was holding a conference for firefighters this month. It has been cancelled due to Katrina.
She sent me a copy of her brochure and Paulison was her key note speaker! LOL!
She said he is very highly regarded and she is thrilled with this choice.

JBean
09-12-2005, 08:00 PM
THis is her BIO info..I don't know if there is any new info in it but here you go:

BIO---------FIRE CHIEF DAVE PAULISON

R. David Paulison was appointed director of the Preparedness Division of
the Emergency Preparedness & Response Directorate/FEMA, in the newly
created Department of Homeland Security in 2003. He will continue to
serve as the administrator for the U.S. Fire Administration, a position
to which he was appointed in December 2001.
As director of the Preparedness Division, Mr. Paulison administers a
broad range of programs designed to reduce injuries and death due to
disasters, strengthen states and communities and prevent or reduce
damage to public and personal property. He is also responsible for
enhancing state and local emergency preparedness, training federal,
state, and local emergency managers, and conducting a nationwide program
of exercises. As head of the U.S. Fire Administration, Mr. Paulison also
supports state and local fire service programs and oversees programs to
reduce life and economic losses due to fire and related emergencies in
partnership with fire protection and emergency service communities.

Before joining FEMA, Mr. Paulison, who has 30 years of fire rescue
services experience, was chief of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department.
In that position, he oversaw 1,900 personnel with a $200 million
operating budget and a $70 million capital budget. He also oversaw the
county's emergency management office.

He began his career as a rescue firefighter and rose through the ranks
to rescue lieutenant, battalion commander, district chief of operations,
division chief, assistant chief and then deputy director for
administration before becoming chief. His emergency management
experience includes Hurricane Andrew and the crash of ValuJet Flight

A native of Miami, Fla., Mr. Paulison earned a bachelor of arts from
Florida Atlantic University and completed the Program for Senior
Executives in State and Local Government at Harvard University's John F.
Kennedy School of Government. He received the LeRoy Collins
Distinguished Alumni Award and was inducted into the Miami-Dade
Community College Hall of Fame. Mr. Paulison was selected as fire chief
of the year by Florida in 1993 and holds positions in several
professional associations. He is a certified paramedic and as fire
chief, oversaw the Miami-Date Urban Search and Rescue Task Force. He is
also past president of the International Association of Fire Chiefs.

concernedperson
09-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Most of us have already read the newslinks.

JBean
09-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Most of us have already read the newslinks.Thank you! Sorry if it's too much duplication!

Tom'sGirl
09-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Thank you! Sorry if it's too much duplication!
No it wasn't JB, thanks for posting the info.

JBean
09-12-2005, 08:17 PM
No it wasn't JB, thanks for posting the info.Pheww thanks Tomsgirl. I was embarrassed.:blushing:

marrigotti
09-12-2005, 08:21 PM

Thanks so much for posting that, JBean.

less0305
09-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Pheww thanks Tomsgirl. I was embarrassed.:blushing:

JBean, thanks for posting!! I had a meeting tonight and I'm trying to catch up so having that short bio here for me was great...I didn't have to go searching on my limited time tonight!! :hand: Big thumbs up here, girl!!!

BirdieBoo
09-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Yes JBean. Thanks.

I wonder why Mr. Paulison did not already have that job? He seems ideally suited for it, per the bio.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-12-2005, 09:22 PM

Hey JB! I'm glad you posted it, I haven't had a chance to sit and watch TV yet. And this guys sounds a whole lot more experienced. That's a start, LOL

JBean
09-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Well, my disaster sister is the only person that I know personally that has real life experience with this stuff. She was so thrilled that he was chosen, I guess I was just excited to post. She has been trying to get me to pay attention to this stuff for so long, she finally has my attention.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Well, my disaster sister is the only person that I know personally that has real life experience with this stuff. She was so thrilled that he was chosen, I guess I was just excited to post. She has been trying to get me to pay attention to this stuff for so long, she finally has my attention.

I still love that, "disaster sister!" :laugh:

JBean
09-12-2005, 09:53 PM
I still love that, "disaster sister!" :laugh:That was just for you DD! I told her that we all get a chuckle out of it.

As an aside the conference she was putting on was for firefighters and how to drive safely and arrive alive when they drive so fast in an emergency! LOL!:eek:

Liz
09-13-2005, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the bio, JBean! It was 'news' to me!
He sounds like a good man for the job!

KrazyKollector
09-13-2005, 02:22 AM
Thank you! Sorry if it's too much duplication!It wasn't too much duplication for me. I hadn't read it yet.
Guess I was too busy taking with my Mom at the hospital to read the "newslinks". I very much appreciate you posting this.:clap:

KrazyKollector
09-13-2005, 02:24 AM
Well, my disaster sister is the only person that I know personally that has real life experience with this stuff. She was so thrilled that he was chosen, I guess I was just excited to post. She has been trying to get me to pay attention to this stuff for so long, she finally has my attention.LOL JBean! You may want to rethink the pairing of these two words in the same grouping, "disaster sister". ;) She may want to deck you after that.

KrazyKollector
09-13-2005, 02:30 AM
That was just for you DD! I told her that we all get a chuckle out of it.

As an aside the conference she was putting on was for firefighters and how to drive safely and arrive alive when they drive so fast in an emergency! LOL!:eek:Very needed conference! I had two coworkers driving/riding a "bus" to an accident when they went through a red light without slowing down enough. Ended up hitting a car with a woman and child. Woman died and the driver of the "bus" actually did prison time. Even driving hot, you still have to give ROW.

Another two coworkers were driving/riding but not hot and got hit by another car speeding. It actually flipped the bus onto it's side. One EMT ended up having to leave that type of job because of his injury to his back and shoulder.

DEPUTYDAWG
09-13-2005, 08:34 AM
That was just for you DD! I told her that we all get a chuckle out of it.

As an aside the conference she was putting on was for firefighters and how to drive safely and arrive alive when they drive so fast in an emergency! LOL!:eek:

Oh how funny...SO is a firefighter, and about a month ago they had their driving "class." Maybe it's the time of year for FF's to have driving training? LOL

Details
09-13-2005, 03:31 PM
You'd have thought it'd be obvious the first time - appoint someone with experience and qualifications. :doh: :doh: :doh: