PDA

View Full Version : Water Cascades Over New Orleans Levee

tybee204
09-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050923/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina_hk2;_ylt=AhSb54FVDbh83rfaGfKEGea s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg-)

NEW ORLEANS - Water poured over a patched levee Friday, cascading into one of the city's lowest-lying neighborhoods and heightening fears that Hurricane Rita would re-flood this devastated city.

Dozens of blocks in the Ninth Ward were under water as a waterfall at least 30 feet wide poured over a dike that had been used to patch breaks in the Industrial Canal. On the street that runs parallel to the canal, the water ran waist-deep and was rising fast.

Shadow205
09-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050923/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina_hk2;_ylt=AhSb54FVDbh83rfaGfKEGea s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg-)

NEW ORLEANS - Water poured over a patched levee Friday, cascading into one of the city's lowest-lying neighborhoods and heightening fears that Hurricane Rita would re-flood this devastated city.

Dozens of blocks in the Ninth Ward were under water as a waterfall at least 30 feet wide poured over a dike that had been used to patch breaks in the Industrial Canal. On the street that runs parallel to the canal, the water ran waist-deep and was rising fast.

Geez, and the Mayor was telling people to come back!

FACE-IT
09-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Water Pours Into New Orleans' Ninth Ward

NEW ORLEANS - Hurricane Rita's steady rains sent water pouring through breaches in a patched levee Friday, cascading into one of the city's lowest-lying neighborhoods in a devastating repeat of New Orleans' flooding nightmare. "Our worst fears came true," said Maj. Barry Guidry of the Georgia National Guard.

"We have three significant breaches in the levee and the water is rising rapidly," he said. "At daybreak I found substantial breaks and they've grown larger." Dozens of blocks in the Ninth Ward were under water as a waterfall at least 30 feet wide poured over and through a dike that had been used to patch breaks in the Industrial Canal levee. On the street that runs parallel to the canal, the water ran waist-deep and was rising fast. Guidry said water was rising about three inches a minute.

http://tinyurl.com/crbgk

FACE-IT
09-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Water Pours Into New Orleans' Ninth Ward

NEW ORLEANS - Hurricane Rita's steady rains sent water pouring through breaches in a patched levee Friday, cascading into one of the city's lowest-lying neighborhoods in a devastating repeat of New Orleans' flooding nightmare. "Our worst fears came true," said Maj. Barry Guidry of the Georgia National Guard.

"We have three significant breaches in the levee and the water is rising rapidly," he said. "At daybreak I found substantial breaks and they've grown larger." Dozens of blocks in the Ninth Ward were under water as a waterfall at least 30 feet wide poured over and through a dike that had been used to patch breaks in the Industrial Canal levee. On the street that runs parallel to the canal, the water ran waist-deep and was rising fast. Guidry said water was rising about three inches a minute.

http://tinyurl.com/crbgkThe worst part of Rita, with respect to New Orleans, hasn't yet arrived. The levee situation could get a lot worse. I haven't heard the rain reports for New Orleans, other than they were only expecting 3-5 inches.

Shadow205
09-23-2005, 12:26 PM
The worst part of Rita, with respect to New Orleans, hasn't yet arrived. The levee situation could get a lot worse. I haven't heard the rain reports for New Orleans, other than they were only expecting 3-5 inches.
Buzz,
I heard just a few minutes ago that if Rita stalls out after making landfall which they expect it will, some parts of TX, AK, & LA may see 25-30 inches of rain. I honestly cannot even picture what that will be like. You know this is like watching a living nightmare. I keep trying to leave the TV but I can't. I am glued to it.

FACE-IT
09-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Buzz,
I heard just a few minutes ago that if Rita stalls out after making landfall which they expect it will, some parts of TX, AK, & LA may see 25-30 inches of rain. I honestly cannot even picture what that will be like. You know this is like watching a living nightmare. I keep trying to leave the TV but I can't. I am glued to it.Shadow, that mostly will be well inland in Northeastern Texas, Northwestern Louisiana, and Southern Arkansas. This map gives a good indication of how Rita will stall out. You are right, that's scary; huge floods (and tornados too).

Hurricane Rita Projected 5 Day Cone
http://tinyurl.com/7mrr3

RITA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 12
INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 20 INCHES OVER
SOUTHEASTERN TEXAS AND SOUTHWESTERN LOUISIANA AS IT MOVES INLAND.
RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE OVER SOUTHEASTERN
LOUISIANA INCLUDING METROPOLITAN NEW ORLEANS WITH ISOLATED HEAVIER
AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. SINCE RITA IS FORECAST TO SLOW DOWN SIGNIFICANTLY
AFTER MAKING LANDFALL...TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS IN EXCESS OF 25 INCHES
ARE POSSIBLE OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS ACROSS EASTERN TEXAS INTO
WESTERN LOUISIANA.

ISOLATED TORNADOES ARE POSSIBLE TODAY OVER PORTIONS OF SOUTHEASTERN
TEXAS...SOUTHERN LOUISIANA INCLUDING SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI AND
ALABAMA

Beyond Belief
09-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Dozens of blocks in the Ninth Ward (search (javascript:siteSearch('Ninth Ward');)) were under water as a waterfall at least 30 feet wide poured over and through a dike that had been used to patch breaks in the Industrial Canal (search (javascript:siteSearch('Industrial Canal');)) levee. On the street that runs parallel to the canal, the water ran waist-deep and was rising fast. Guidry said water was rising about three inches a minute
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,170213,00.html

Beyond Belief
09-23-2005, 01:24 PM
okay, didn't see it!

FACE-IT
09-23-2005, 05:21 PM
Rita's Rains Breach Two New Orleans Levees

NEW ORLEANS - Hurricane Rita's wind and rain breached two of New Orleans' battered levees Friday and sent water gushing into already-devastated neighborhoods just days after they had been pumped dry. In the impoverished Ninth Ward, water streamed through gaps at least 100 feet wide in a levee and was soon waist-deep on a nearby street. It began covering buckled homes, piles of rubble and mud-caked cars that Katrina had swamped with up to 20 feet of water nearly a month ago.

Officials with the Army Corps of Engineers said other levees appeared secure, including those breached during Katrina, but there were leaks. South of the University of New Orleans, two separate streams of water gushed from beneath the patched London Avenue Canal, and water six to eight inches deep was soon rushing into homes in the surrounding Gentilly neighborhood. "Our worst fears came true," said Maj. Barry Guidry, a National Guardsman on duty at the broken levee in the Ninth Ward. "We have three significant breaches in the levee and the water is rising rapidly."

BillyGoatGruff
09-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Buzz,
I heard just a few minutes ago that if Rita stalls out after making landfall which they expect it will, some parts of TX, AK, & LA may see 25-30 inches of rain. I honestly cannot even picture what that will be like. You know this is like watching a living nightmare. I keep trying to leave the TV but I can't. I am glued to it.
Alaska (AK) will get rain from Rita? Well, I guess Arkansas (AR) will get screwed, then, too.