PDA

View Full Version : A Mother's Denial, a Daughter's Death

tybee204
09-25-2005, 11:46 AM
By Charles Ornstein and Daniel Costello Times Staff Writers
Sun Sep 25, 7:55 AM ET

Christine Maggiore was in prime form, engaging and articulate, when she explained to a Phoenix radio host in late March why she didn't believe HIV caused AIDS
The HIV-positive mother of two laid out matter-of-factly why, even while pregnant, she hadn't taken HIV medications, and why she had never tested her children for the virus.

"Our children have excellent records of health," Maggiore said on the Air America program when asked about 7-year-old Charlie and 3-year-old Eliza Jane Scovill. "They've never had respiratory problems, flus, intractable colds, ear infections, nothing. So, our choices, however radical they may seem, are extremely well-founded."

Seven weeks later, Eliza Jane was dead.More at link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/latimests/20050925/ts_latimes/amothersdenialadaughtersdeath;_ylt=AiLjt1c4odF9fCw RMJfZC9Ks0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3b2NibDltBHNlYwM3MTY-)

mysteriew
09-25-2005, 11:59 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how stupid some people are. That poor little girl. That woman should be shot.

Casshew
09-25-2005, 12:48 PM
The cause, (of death) according to a Sept. 15 report by the Los Angeles County coroner, was AIDS-related pneumonia.
She and her husband, Robin Scovill, said they have concerns about the coroner's findings and are sending the report to an outside reviewer.
Still in denial - till the end

lynie
09-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Wow...one thing I have learned while being a mom is that I am not a doctor.

I am so sorry for Eliza that she had parents that apparently know it all....and put their kids lives on the line to prove it... :furious:

BillyGoatGruff
09-25-2005, 03:32 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how stupid some people are. That poor little girl. That woman should be shot.
This mindset is one of the reasons that AIDS swept through Africa the way it did.

Mabel
09-25-2005, 04:18 PM
The last paragraph - Maggiore wonders:

"Why our child so appreciated, so held, so carefully nurtured and not one ignored, abused or abandoned?" she wrote. "How come what we offered was not enough to keep her here when children with far less impatient distracted parents, a small apartment on a busy street, extended day care, Oscar Mayer Lunchables will happily stay?

Someone please smack that woman. Hard.

Details
09-25-2005, 05:10 PM
Why? Because you were an idiot who effectively killed your daughter by making her part of a medical experiment for a theory you wanted to believe in.

People need to learn the limits of their knowledge - but even without that, using your own child as part of the experiment, deliberately choosing not to use everything possible to keep her healthy is horrible!

CyberLaw
09-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Can someone post a link to an article or transcript of this womens inerview.

I remember seeing this on a episode of "Judge Amy".

I am wondering if this women was charged and if her other child was taken away.

My thoughts on the matter is that the women is not only stupid, is that she does not accept any responsibility for causing her daughter death........

I would lose count if I actually acknowledged how many people I know who don't take any responsibity for their actions and live by the motto: Lie and Deny......

SewingDeb
09-26-2005, 08:30 AM

I agree, especially since she has written a book teaching other parents with HIV not to have their children tested.

tompettyfan
09-27-2005, 01:23 AM
This story simply boggles my mind. So tragic and preventable. My son's doctor recently requested that I bring him back for a complete physical after a visit when he was sick in which he noted that my son had dropped quite a bit of weight in around a 6 month time span. Well, I knew that my son had been increasingly active with skateboarding,bike riding, running etc. and had also started eating healthier. I felt that there was probably no underlying problem to be concerned about. HOWEVER, there is NO way I would not have taken him for that physical just to make sure!!! I took him, and he is in perfect health thankfully, but there's no way I would have not listened to his doctor and taken that simple step just to be on the safe side.

SewingDeb
09-27-2005, 01:27 AM
You're a wise parent.

GonzoReiter
09-27-2005, 01:31 AM
Can someone post a link to an article or transcript of this womens inerview...

Look on the Right Hand Side of Page Linked Here for Interviews (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/la-me-eliza24sep24,0,4062292.story?track=hpmostemailedli nk)

Norma
09-27-2005, 05:20 AM
http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=251975&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__international_news/
Jay Gordon, a Santa Monica paediatrician who treated Eliza Jane, said he regretted not testing for HIV when he examined her for an apparent ear infection 11 days before her death.

"It's possible that the whole situation could have been changed if one of the doctors involved -- one of the three doctors involved -- had intervened," Dr Gordon, told the LA Times. "Do I think I'm blameless in this? No, I'm not blameless."

lisag
09-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Wow...one thing I have learned while being a mom is that I am not a doctor.

I am so sorry for Eliza that she had parents that apparently know it all....and put their kids lives on the line to prove it... :furious:

I agree 100% !!

CyberLaw
09-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks Gonzo for the Link to the stories......

Unfortunately this women reminds me of a cult leader.

So she is the leader of the "cult" of HIV does not cause AIDS.......

Just like some people believe that "faith" will heal things like cancer and other serious diseases. Even when the person dies, they still believe that they did not pray enough. Never the truth......but their version of the truth.

This women is an uneducated and ignorant person and is spreading that "ignorance" which some people desperate to "believe" that they won't die of this infection, find "comfort" in choosing to believe her.

That is their choice. They are playing russian routlete with their health, but unfortunately some parents do that...........and suffer the consequences.

This women will die of this disease, just a matter of when.........let her "supporters" try to "spin" that.........

This women should have been a politician.........she certainly has the BS factor going for her......

Unfortunately, her daughter paid for her mother's ignorance with her life.......

Or maybe we should drop her off in the middle of Africa and let her see and experience the "AIDS" orphans and see how people are suffering...........with HIV and lack of meds.........

But of couse she will say: They don't have AIDS........they are "wasting away" from lack of food..........

IIgnorant people follow ignorant people...........and believe them........because the alternative is to admit you are wrong........and that you may die of AIDS.............place your hands over your eyes, and say: I don't see you, I don't hear you, I don't beleive you..........than to face reality. Denial is easier for some then the truth...........

Details
09-27-2005, 01:41 PM
There also needs to be more understanding of science - what it means when there is peer reviewed science, that there is always disagreement, that a true scientist will pretty nearly never say they are positive, certain, 100% sure - because that's the way their minds have to work - everything is a theory, no matter how well backed up; and being quite sure something is happening doesn't ever equal to 100% certainty - they're not even 100% certain gravity is correct!

Non scientists hear this, and combined with a quack and some wishful thinking, they think that calling something a theory, having debates about the exact mechanisms means that the facts are still open, unknown, when that's not really true. Somewhere or other, there needs to be some better communication - either of what the scientific method is, or scientists need an appointed liar to cast their results in terms people are more likely not to mistake.

CyberLaw
09-27-2005, 07:59 PM
You have to be intelligent to understand Science, but if you are not an intelligent person then Science will make no sense to you.

There is world wide proof that HIV leads to AIDS....there are and have been so many people worldwide who have died of AIDS, thousand of report, hundreds of research papers, and still we get this women who denies this is the truth.

So she feels that she is so much smarter then people who have degrees, medical degrees. For Goodness sake, she does not even have a College Degree but she feels that she is right.

Talk about ignorance and arrogance......a deadly combination........

Details
09-27-2005, 08:20 PM
But it's a very common thing, and being promoted by a bunch of people - from the media that has caved in and now just reports any old thing without trying to state if it is true or not to avoid accusations of bias; to politicians choosing what to believe and hiring only scientists that find results that agree with their political aims; etc. There is more that can be done to help people to understand science, to know what to respect and what not to.

Bobbisangel
09-27-2005, 09:14 PM
I just can't imagine not having the kids tested. It just makes sense. I guess if you don't have them tested then you don't have to face them being HIV positive if that is the way the tests turn out. You can go on through life pretending everything is just wonderful....until one of your children die of an HIV related problem. It's no big thing to have the kids tested and save their lives if they are HIV positive. Just because the mother made the choice not to take the meds for her HIV she didn't have the right to make that choice for her children.

On the other hand, mothers make the choice of whether their kids live or die on a daily basis...it is called abortion.

concernedperson
09-27-2005, 09:21 PM
Then there are some parents who just refuse to see a flaw. Even if it is in your face.They justify everything as it couldn't be me. What do you do? Sometimes justice doesn't wear a big hat sometimes justice is wearing a beanie.