PDA

View Full Version : Identified! NH - Hudson - Skeletal Remains, 2005 - Henry Lawrence Holcomb, 67

bugaboo
11-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Does anyone know of any possible matches? Hudson is not terribly far over the MA border, and right near Nashua.

http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/5341332/detail.html

pugsley
11-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Does anyone know of any possible matches? Hudson is not terribly far over the MA border, and right near Nashua.

http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/5341332/detail.html

Really can't match anyone up until there is more info, other than bones. I wonder how long they have been there. There may not be anyone missing in the immediate area, but there are lots of people missing from NH, VT & MA.

I tried to find the thread for you and couldn't, but there is a thread for missing women in NH. Maybe another poster will be more successful in finding the thread.

Hopefully they will release more info soon.

LButler
11-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Could this be Maura Murray? I'm not familiar with the area but doing some looking on Mapquest, the location of the body is sort of in between where her car was found (near Woodsville, NH) and where she would have left from school (UMass, Amherst).

LButler
11-17-2005, 12:04 PM
After re-reading the article, I noticed that this was the second set of remains found in NH in a couple of weeks. Any info on the first ones they found?

murraydwyer
11-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Missing VT NH (http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21997)

Any thing more on the body found?

pugsley
11-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Missing VT NH (http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21997)

Any thing more on the body found?

Nothing new. Just that the remains were sent to a state lab.

Thanks for finding that thread. I should have just looked for it instead of using the search feature.

reb
11-18-2005, 08:14 PM
OMG,, maura or brianna, maybe.........???

Masterj
11-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Hudson is not near where Maura disappeared from. It is off of 93 North and isn't far from the MA border.

Peabody
11-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Hudson is not near where Maura disappeared from. It is off of 93 North and isn't far from the MA border.
It is purely my opinion, but I don't think the distance/location of the remains from the site of where a person went missing is the only consideration in who this poor soul may be.

There is no way to know IF this is Maura or Brianna UNTIL the DNA results are back.

Bring Maura Home!
www.mauramurray.com (http://www.mauramurray.com/)
www.spbowers.com\mauramissing.html (http://www.spbowers.com/mauramissing.html)

Masterj
11-21-2005, 03:10 PM
It is purely my opinion, but I don't think the distance/location of the remains from the site of where a person went missing is the only consideration in who this poor soul may be.

There is no way to know IF this is Maura or Brianna UNTIL the DNA results are back.

Bring Maura Home!
Wow, clearly I offended you which was certainly not my intent. I agree with you. I was actually responding to an earlier post where someone mentioned that Hudson wasn't far from Maura's school and from where she disappeared. I never said this couldn't be Maura and please don't assume that is what I meant. Next time I will make sure to reference the original post I am responding to.

Marilynilpa
11-21-2005, 03:38 PM

Bring Maura Home!
There are so many people missing from that area over the past few years. I hope LE is able to find out who this person is and at least bring some measure of peace to his/her family.

LButler
11-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Wow, clearly I offended you which was certainly not my intent. I agree with you. I was actually responding to an earlier post where someone mentioned that Hudson wasn't far from Maura's school and from where she disappeared. I never said this couldn't be Maura and please don't assume that is what I meant. Next time I will make sure to reference the original post I am responding to.
You were referring to my post and I didn't say it was NEAR Maura's car or her school.

I said it was somewhat between the 2 locations.

Masterj
11-21-2005, 05:55 PM
You were referring to my post and I didn't say it was NEAR Maura's car or her school.

I said it was somewhat between the 2 locations.
You are right, you didn't say that. My apologies.

I don't really understand why there seems to be hostility on this site (in general and not just this thread) and people acting like they care more about certain cases than you do. IMO if people didn't care about finding answers and closure for these poor families, than they wouldn't be here. You would think one would welcome a different perspective, and while that is the case most of the time, it definitely isn't always the case.

In closing, I wasn't trying to be rude to anyone so I would appreciate the same in return.

docwho3
11-21-2005, 06:19 PM
. . .I don't really understand why there seems to be hostility on this site (in general and not just this thread) and people acting like they care more about certain cases than you do. IMO if people didn't care about finding answers and closure for these poor families, than they wouldn't be here. You would think one would welcome a different perspective, and while that is the case most of the time, it definitely isn't always the case.

In closing, I wasn't trying to be rude to anyone so I would appreciate the same in return. Just speaking for myself:I offer a belated Welcome to Websleuths. I agree we should all keep in mind that we are on the same side in wanting to help in these many cases. We are a large diverse group of people here and in any large group there are bound to be those found that have fewer people skills than is needed and then there are bad days and personality conflicts and just plain misunderstandings. An air of hostility makes it less likely that a talented researcher will want to stay and help. I hope you can overlook the bumpy times and stay and help.

PrayersForMaura
11-21-2005, 06:53 PM

I don't really understand why there seems to be hostility on this site (in general and not just this thread) and people acting like they care more about certain cases than you do. IMO if people didn't care about finding answers and closure for these poor families, than they wouldn't be here. You would think one would welcome a different perspective, and while that is the case most of the time, it definitely isn't always the case.

In closing, I wasn't trying to be rude to anyone so I would appreciate the same in return.
I appreciate your opinion :)

It could be Maura, it could be anyone.
Sometimes women, kids, anyone who is missing is picked up, taken elsewhere and dumped, as terrible and inhumane as that sounds. But that is what these monsters do.
I hope whomever it is, that their family can get some answers and that their soul can rest in peace.

Hammerized
11-22-2005, 01:14 AM
http://gamma.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Age,%20sex%20and%20height%20 of%20Hudson%20remains%20determined&articleId=b0e5618d-7d03-49bb-972b-f9e0e5d0f05d

According to police Lt. David Bianchi, who is leading the investigation, the remains are of a male over the age of 60 with a height of 5 feet 11 inches to 6 feet 3 inches.

Bianchi said the description doesn't seem to match any missing person reports ...
[...]
The remains appear to have been in the woods for several years, Bianchi said. The medical examiner's office reported that the remains may have been there for nearly 30 years.

Breehannah6
11-22-2005, 02:37 AM
Yes I too have found some posters in websleuths to be very hostile and if you read other threads like the Darlie Routier one new people really get a hard time I no longer post on that thread and another called snooty vixen posted yesterday that she wont post anymore in this site.
I dont understand why posters get so affected when someone gives a personal point of view thats conflicts with thier theory! The fact is we were not at any crime scene and in some cases who will ever really know what happened and in the above case when you think how far the person took Adam Walsh any remains found anywhere could be anyone who has gone missing. I accept the poster did in fact apologise but thats quite rare , I know when I was attacked over saying that I felt Darlie may be a bit like Lindy Chamberlain, It really upset me as I had said it quite off haded not expected the huge backlash I received.
Anyway my advice is dont leave just read the threads you have dramas on and post in other more friendly threads as the majority of people in here are nice theres only a few nastys!!lol

Peabody
11-22-2005, 03:03 AM
I was not offended and certainly did not mean to appear hostile.......my apologies to any and everyone that I may have offended. One certain disadvantage of online messaging: no way to interpret body language and tone of voice which would probably clarify many misunderstandings......we could all benefit from the wise advice: be slow to take offence.

I was merely responding to the post that mentioned the long distance from this finding of remains and the location of Maura's and Brianna's missing.

Bring Maura Home !

Peabody
11-22-2005, 03:11 AM
Yes I too have found some posters in websleuths to be very hostile and if you read other threads like the Darlie Routier one new people really get a hard time I no longer post on that thread and another called snooty vixen posted yesterday that she wont post anymore in this site.
I dont understand why posters get so affected when someone gives a personal point of view thats conflicts with thier theory! The fact is we were not at any crime scene and in some cases who will ever really know what happened and in the above case when you think how far the person took Adam Walsh any remains found anywhere could be anyone who has gone missing. I accept the poster did in fact apologise but thats quite rare , I know when I was attacked over saying that I felt Darlie may be a bit like Lindy Chamberlain, It really upset me as I had said it quite off haded not expected the huge backlash I received.
Anyway my advice is dont leave just read the threads you have dramas on and post in other more friendly threads as the majority of people in here are nice theres only a few nastys!!lol
I would ask you to please consider posting *in spite of the few nasties*.

I honestly believe that there have been posters whose intention is to end the discussion of the case. Just accept that it is impossible for all of us to agree and then IGNORE the nasty :o There is even an IGNORE feature that you can use whereby you program your options to eliminate from your view any posts by a particular member. Sadly, I had to use that on one occasion to keep my blood from boiling. But, that was also before the moderators posted that they would not tolerate verbal abuse of any victim or their family.

I do hope that you decide to stay active not only in this thread, but also in any other that you may find interesting despite the opinions and actions of others.

And please accept a warm welcome from the majority of websleuthers!

Bring Maura Home !

Breehannah6
11-22-2005, 05:41 AM

I was actually responding to this post by Masterj,I didnt think that you were offended or upset Peabody, I posted to try to make Masterj feel a bit better that its not only them that has had a response that confused them.
I only told the story on the Darlie thread in here so as to eliminate any confusion that it had happened in here too!! lol
I am sure as you said Peabody you have a a bad experience ,so you know what its like , I welcome any newbie in here the more the merrier and as I said before theres a few sour grapes here and there on the site but for the most they are like sultana grapes ,sweet with no pips!!!lol
Best Wishes to everyone From Australia

bugaboo
11-22-2005, 09:34 AM
Thank you, Hammerized, for the update. Hopefully someone knows this man, and we can place a name with the body.

Marilynilpa
11-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Wow, the remains appear to have been in the woods for as long as 30 years?!?! I spend a lot of time researching cold cases, I'll go back through some of my research material and see if I can find anything that might correlate to this.

I'm also going to post this on the cold case thread.

Marilynilpa
11-22-2005, 11:02 AM
This was posted under Missing - Information and Support, but since the remains may have been in the woods for 30 yeas, I figured it ought to be posted here as well.

"Hudson The state medical examiner's office has determined the age, sex and height of the person whose remains were found by a hunter in the woods off of Kienia Road last Tuesday.
According to police Lt. David Bianchi, who is leading the investigation, the remains are of a male over the age of 60 with a height of 5 feet 11 inches to 6 feet 3 inches.

snip

The remains appear to have been in the woods for several years, Bianchi said. The medical examiner's office reported that the remains may have been there for nearly 30 years."

Link: http://gamma.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Age,%20sex%20and%20height%20 of%20Hudson%20remains%20determined&articleId=b0e5618d-7d03-49bb-972b-f9e0e5d0f05d

LButler
11-22-2005, 12:31 PM
No offense to anyone either. It was my original post that started all this and I apologize. However, in my own defense, my post was misquoted. That's the first step to having a smooth experience on here, please read and read again before you post. I tend to skim posts without reading in depth, but if it's something I plan to respond to, I try to re-read everything to make sure I'm not misreading or misunderstanding. But, once again, no problem - we're all here for the same reason. And, yes, some of us are cranky some days (or crankIER some days).

As for the body, 30 years? Does anyone else wonder how they can come up with a magic number like that? It just seems in my mind that once soft tissue is gone and you're left with a skeleton, it would get a little vague as to when a body was dumped or put there? anybody have some inside scoop on aging bones? I have heard of carbon dating but thought that was really inaccurate.

Masterj
11-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Thank you everyone. I had a bit of rough day yesterday, so I think I was feeling overly sensitive. I truly do enjoy this site (everyone full of compassion and gathering to help). There are truly no hard feelings and I appologize if I overreacted.

Masterj
11-22-2005, 12:52 PM
Also wanted to add, that many Massachusetts people I know jokingly refer to Hudson, NH as northern Massachusetts due to its close proximity to the border. Plus since it is off of Interstate 93, I wonder if there are any men from MA who fit the vague description we currently have.

shadowangel
11-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Just going off the age, I found a gentleman who disappeared from Manchester, NH (20 miles from Hudson) in July '63 (okay, that's 40 years...)

Alex Tafralian, 54, was last seen in a Manchester social club with a large amount of cash. The Doe Network details that some authorities believe he was buried in a car under a stream near Bedford, NH.

If we can set aside the age factor, I found another gentleman, Gerard Hanrahan, who disappeared from Quincy, MA (about 50 miles away) in December of '90. He was 49, stood 6' tall and weighed 175. He was last seen running down the street after arguing with his wife and stepdaughter. They reported he had been acting strange for a week.

Marilynilpa
11-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Just going off the age, I found a gentleman who disappeared from Manchester, NH (20 miles from Hudson) in July '63 (okay, that's 40 years...)

Alex Tafralian, 54, was last seen in a Manchester social club with a large amount of cash. The Doe Network details that some authorities believe he was buried in a car under a stream near Bedford, NH.

If we can set aside the age factor, I found another gentleman, Gerard Hanrahan, who disappeared from Quincy, MA (about 50 miles away) in December of '90. He was 49, stood 6' tall and weighed 175. He was last seen running down the street after arguing with his wife and stepdaughter. They reported he had been acting strange for a week.I found both of those men as well. As you stated, it looks like LE is pretty sure where Tafralian is buried, they are trying to gather enough info for a search warrant so they can dig up the area around the stream.

Gerard Hanrahan could be a match. By his behavior, it looks like this man might have committed suicide. But no car was found at the location where the remains were found. If he had a car, I wonder if it was ever recovered? Maybe he left it somewhere else, hiked into the woods and killed himself.

I'd like to know if anything was found at or near the site where the remains were found - clothing, personal effects, a gun or other weapon, camping or hunting gear. Also, Hanrahan had four gold teeth - I wonder if any teeth were recovered?

Hopefully when further testing is done, LE will let us know more.

shadowangel
11-22-2005, 03:40 PM
If it turns out he had a rifle, a large canteen and three poetry books, I'm going back to the Sharon Marshall forum.... ;)

Marilynilpa
11-22-2005, 03:48 PM
:laugh:
If it turns out he had a rifle, a large canteen and three poetry books, I'm going back to the Sharon Marshall forum.... ;)
OMG, you have me laughing out loud!

shadowangel
11-22-2005, 04:00 PM
With our luck, he'll have a motorcycle, an empty rifle holster, and a lock from the Active Lock Co. of 195 Ave A, NYC...

Marilynilpa
11-22-2005, 04:08 PM
With our luck, he'll have a motorcycle, an empty rifle holster, and a lock from the Active Lock Co. of 195 Ave A, NYC...
. . . and a receipt for a pair of contact lenses purchased in Chicago.

Yaya
11-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Ok you two nuts :slap: ... I almost choked on my brownie! :)

shadowangel
11-22-2005, 08:13 PM
. . . and a receipt for a pair of contact lenses purchased in Chicago.
Okay, I get it...He took the motorcycle and left the contact lenses...
Now we're getting somewhere!
:blowkiss:

mysteriew
12-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Police say skeletal remains found in the woods in Hudson (New Hampshire) are those of a Nashua man.

Dental records confirm the remains found last month are those of 67-year-old Henry Lawrence Holcomb the second. Holcomb was never reported missing. However police connected him to a report of an abandoned car found about a mile away from where the remains were discovered. That report was filed in July 2003.

Police don't suspect foul play.

A former neighbor says she saw Holcomb packing his van with duffel bags and a bucket of wood during the July Fourth weekend of 2003. Amy Mason says she never saw him after that.
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4281930&nav=4QcS

mysteriew
12-25-2005, 12:44 AM
So he laid there from July of 2003, and no one ever reported him missing. To me, that is what is sad. No one cared enough to find out why he wasn't around.

Deirdre
01-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Hi there, I just found this web site, ironically after just talking to my Mother about her Brother Gerard. I'm curious why you guys seem to have so much interest in this disappearance? Do you know if they ever did confirm who's body it is they found? If anyone reading this post knows anything they can add about Gerard it would be very helpful to my family.
Thank you,
Deirdre (neice of Gerards)

docwho3
01-04-2006, 02:03 AM
Hi there, I just found this web site, ironically after just talking to my Mother about her Brother Gerard. I'm curious why you guys seem to have so much interest in this disappearance? . . . I can't speak for the others but my opinion is that we are a curious bunch and it also seems that many of us hope to help bring a more healthy closure to old unsolved cases.

mysteriew
01-04-2006, 03:19 AM
Hi there, I just found this web site, ironically after just talking to my Mother about her Brother Gerard. I'm curious why you guys seem to have so much interest in this disappearance? Do you know if they ever did confirm who's body it is they found? If anyone reading this post knows anything they can add about Gerard it would be very helpful to my family.
Thank you,
Deirdre (neice of Gerards)

Hi , Deirdre and welcome to WS. A lot of what we do here is dig up as much info as we can on missing persons cases, and try to see if any info can be found on remains that have been found but not identified. In this particular case, remains were found and they are compaing them to known missing persons cases. Evidently your uncle is one of the possibilites that has been brought up for discussion. Please feel free to add to the discussion, comment on anything that you feel might be incorrect or even state your opinion as to the possibility of a match.
If through discussion, it looks like a good match, someone will call LE and ask that they check into the possibility. Please feel free to participate!

shadowangel
01-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Is this the same case?

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32291&page=2&pp=25

If so, this man was identified.

Deirdre-If you're talking about the other posts on this thread, several of us had been discussing, at length, an unindentified man whose remains, and several tantalizing clues, had been discovered in a field in PA in 1958. The situation was similar in some ways to the discovery of these unidentified remains.
I felt your uncle was a good possibility for a match to the unidentified remains found in NH. Do you have any information on your uncle's disappearance other than what is posted on the Doe Network? We would be happy to see what we can find.

Bubbles
01-04-2006, 11:07 AM
I live very near to this area and the remains have been identified. They are of a man who went missing about 3 years ago. Because he had no family he was not reported missing and no one ever cared why he never returned to his apartment. He had been described as disoriented prior to his disapearance. Very sad.

pugsley
01-05-2006, 11:00 AM
HUDSON, N.H. (AP) _ Police say skeletal remains found in the woods in
Hudson (New Hampshire) are those of a Nashua man.

Dental records confirm the remains found last month are those of 67-year-old
Henry Lawrence Holcomb the second. Holcomb was never reported missing.
However police connected him to a report of an abandoned car found about a
mile away from where the remains were discovered. That report was filed in July 2003.

Police don't suspect foul play.

A former neighbor says she saw Holcomb packing his van with duffel bags and a
bucket of wood during the July Fourth weekend of 2003.
Amy Mason says she never saw him after that.

there are comments after the article from the neighbor, who describes his personality, etc...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1547905/posts

docwho3
01-05-2006, 12:17 PM
So how did we get from
. . .The remains appear to have been in the woods for several years, Bianchi said. The medical examiner's office reported that the remains may have been there for nearly 30 years." to the present info of remains only 3 years old?

With estimates like that and then having some possible matches rejected (as I recently read on another thread) because the time slot didn't seem to fit I can see we (as a nation) very much need to stop relying on estimated death times and start using a DNA database.
And in the meantime it would be good for authorities to not reject possible matches solely on time slot not matching up.

Deirdre
01-05-2006, 11:31 PM
I'm very glad i found this site and that you guys are actively interested in finding out what has happened to people who've gone missing.

I'm sad for the man who they did identify, also relieved that it wasn't Gerard!

My Mom is very quiet about most things that she considers personal. She either knows more and is just being quiet (which wouldn't be out of character for her), or she only knows what little she says she knows, which isn't much more that the news has reported.
Before my Grandma died she told my Mom he'd gone to Florida or was thinking about going to Florida. It's kinda weird though because no one in his family has heard from him. He has missed two of his brothers funerals since his disappearance. Maybe he had mental health issues, maybe he just didn't have that close of a relationship with any of his siblings and hasn't been concerned about being in contact with any of them, or perhaps he's deceased now? My Aunt and another Uncle have lived in the same place for over 30 years, so if he wanted to find them he knows where they are.

Hopefully by keeping open discussions about Gerard and other missing people it might aid in their being located.

I would just like to know if he'd ok and still out there somewhere.

Thanks for listening,
Deirdre