PDA

View Full Version : Deceased/Not Found IL - Brian C. Carrick, 17, Johnsburg, 20 Dec 2002 - Mario Casciaro glty of murder

PonderingThings
12-20-2005, 07:51 PM
http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/carrick_brian.html (http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/carrick_brian.html)

http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/images/carrick_brian1.jpghttp://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/images/carrick_brian2.jpg
Brian C. Carrick

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

# Missing Since: December 20, 2002 from Johnsburg, Illinois
# Classification: Endangered Missing
# Date Of Birth: September 13, 1985
# Age: 17
# Height: 5'9"
# Weight: 135 lbs.
# Hair Color: Brown
# Eye Color: Brown
# Race: White
# Gender: Male
# Distinguishing Characteristics: Curly hair. Surgical
scar on chest.
# Medical Conditions: Heart condition which may require
medical attention.
# Clothing: Black Adidas jacket with stripes on the sleeves
from the shoulder to the waist, an orange sweatshirt, and
blue jeans.
# Case Number: USILM02F0887

Details of Disappearance
Carrick left his home in the 4000 block of North Johnsburg Road in Johnsburg, Illinois between 6:30 and 7:00 p.m. on December 20, 2002 and headed across the street to Val's Foods, where he worked as a stocker. He had asked a coworker to switch hours with him that night, but was turned down. No one saw Carrick leave the store. He was reported missing by his parents at 2:45 p.m. the next day. They had noticed his absence at 8:00 a.m. that morning, but had thought he was at work until 11:45 when someone from Val's Foods called them and they realized Carrick was not there.
The morning after Brian's disappearance, a stock boy at Val's found a pool of blood in a walk-in freezer in the produce department and alerted the store manager. The manager said he saw the blood, which was diluted with water dripping from an overhead cooling unit. He told the stock boy to mop it up. The manager, who at the time was not aware Brian was missing, said he assumed the blood came from raw meat stored in the cooler. It was enough blood "that he had to mop it up three times with a mop and wring it out each time". Detectives were able to get traces of blood from the mopped floor. DNA tests confirmed that blood was Brian's.

In May 2003, Brian's mother held an assembly at his high school to ask for information from the student body. Police received a few calls afterward, but no solid leads. Brian was one of 14 children in his family. Foul play is strongly suspected, and officers have not ruled out drugs as a possible motive.

Nice article about Brian's mom and how they are coping here:

http://www.nwherald.com/CommunitySection/klapperich/338510193669813.php (http://www.nwherald.com/CommunitySection/klapperich/338510193669813.php)

Exerpt:
The mother of 14 children, including Brian, Terry Carrick knows whereof she speaks when it comes to the different phases and difficulties that can arise.

She has no delusions that Brian was perfect, she says. But he was an enterprising kid, friendly to others at school, hardworking, a boy with a stolen and untold future.

Although she appreciates kind thoughts, words and prayers, Terry Carrick requires no sympathy, so certain is she that God, in his time, will reveal the truth.

She prays for forgiveness for those who know but have not revealed what became of Brian. She prays for them to gain the courage to speak.

All signs point to foul play. Yet Terry prays for forgiveness for those involved.

Yaya
12-21-2005, 03:17 PM
A few more details:

Additional drops of blood were located both inside and outside the cooler, on several produce boxes throughout the store, and on some boxes that had been put in the trash compactor. DNA testing confirmed that the blood was Carrick's.
Carrick was last seen wearing a black Adidas jacket with several white stripes on the sleeves from the shoulder down to the wrists, blue jeans, and an orange sweatshirt. He was seemingly in good spirits the day he disappeared. He cashed his paycheck, bought pizza, and told a cashier he planned to rent some videos.
Carrick's family and friends say it is uncharacteristic of him to leave without warning. He is described as a well-behaved teenager and an exemplary employee. He was a junior at Johnsburg High School at the time that he disappeared. When he vanished he left behind about $1000 in the bank which he had saved from years of working at various jobs such as lawn-mowing and at Val's Foods. Investigators believe his disappearance may have been drug-related. Carrick could probably not have used drugs due to his heart condition, but police are exploring the possibility that he was selling them. His parents do not believe he was involved with drugs, but several of Carrick's friends have allegedly been involved.
Police suspect foul play in Carrick's case; they believe he was beaten to death inside the store but the perpetrator may not have meant for him to die. His family also believes he was murdered, and have held a memorial mass for him. Carrick is the eleventh child of fourteen in his family, eight of whom have worked at Val's Foods. His case remains unsolved. Some reports state that Carrick was last seen walking to a video store.
http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/carrick_brian.html

PonderingThings
12-21-2005, 03:53 PM
What I find interesting about this case is... if you were going to beat someone that bad, in a public store,that a quantity of blood was found in more than one location.... why take the body with you? You are already risking being found out if anyone had taken a peek inside, or seen you in the store.

Did they panic when he had a heart attack and died... then they decided to get rid of the body? Did no one pay attention to "customers" in the store? Did no one see a vehicle (I'm assuming a vehicle would have to be used to transport the body) being loaded with a body?

Its an odd twist.....

joellegirl
12-21-2005, 03:57 PM
This all happened not very far from me. I drive through Johnsburg often and just did Saturday evening. Everytime I drive past the Carrick home (and Val's Foods right across the street) I always feel for his family and wonder where Brian's body could be, as the evidence points to foul play. I remember Brian's missing poster in every business I went into. I hope there can be some answers soon.

docwho3
12-21-2005, 04:16 PM
More info links:
http://www.nwherald.com/print/281035965513545.php
http://www.silentsports.net/features/a_paddle_better_forgotten.html
Note:May have to scroll a long ways to find Brian's name and entry
http://www.vanceholmes.com/court/trial_missing_students.html
Police officer on way with evidence when fatal crash got him
http://www.nwherald.com/print/282432624291730.php
http://www.nwherald.com/CommunitySection/other/298381811770966.php

Yaya
12-21-2005, 11:12 PM
This all happened not very far from me. I drive through Johnsburg often and just did Saturday evening. Everytime I drive past the Carrick home (and Val's Foods right across the street) I always feel for his family and wonder where Brian's body could be, as the evidence points to foul play. I remember Brian's missing poster in every business I went into. I hope there can be some answers soon.
What size grocery store is this?

joellegirl
12-21-2005, 11:27 PM
What size grocery store is this?

It is a smaller type grocery store, not as big as a Jewel or Safeway etc. but not tiny either. It has been there since the late 70's-early 80's (I think--I definitely remember it there in the 80's) and has a small strip mall attached to it. It sets back a ways from the road. Brian's home is right aross the street. It is an old farmhouse. Even with all the building going on in the area there is still some open land and farmland around.

docwho3
12-21-2005, 11:31 PM
It is a smaller type grocery store, not as big as a Jewel or Safeway etc. but not tiny either. It has been there since the late 70's-early 80's (I think--I definitely remember it there in the 80's) and has a small strip mall attached to it. It sets back a ways from the road. Brian's home is right aross the street. It is an old farmhouse. Even with all the building going on in the area there is still some open land and farmland around.I wonder if there were any semi load deliveries that evening?

joellegirl
12-21-2005, 11:38 PM
Just wanted to add there is another missing person from Johnsburg, IL named Edward Demers. I don't think his disappearance is related to Brian Carrick but Johnsburg is a small little town and to have two missing people is interesting. Demers has Alzheimers (sp?) and wandered away from him home about 10 months after Brian Carrick vanished. He hasn't been seen since(except from passersby who didn't realize he was a missing person that day) and like LE did for Brian, there was an extensive search over the area.

link:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/demers_edward.html

Yaya
12-21-2005, 11:54 PM
It is a smaller type grocery store, not as big as a Jewel or Safeway etc. but not tiny either. It has been there since the late 70's-early 80's (I think--I definitely remember it there in the 80's) and has a small strip mall attached to it. It sets back a ways from the road. Brian's home is right aross the street. It is an old farmhouse. Even with all the building going on in the area there is still some open land and farmland around.
Thanks Joellegirl... the reason I was asking... it just seems unreal to think that no one in the store could say they saw him leave or had any further helpful information.

I can't for the life of me see how someone with his blood on them walked all around the store spreading his blood DNA to produce boxes and other areas. I just get the feeling the killer was someone who worked at the store or known to someone who worked there.

Very few people go behind these businesses at night... they are basically deserted in back. Most employees park in the front parking area instead of the back. The body could have been taken out a delivery door without being seen... it would have already been dark.

My mind is working overtime on the possible scenarios. I'm not usually a conspiracy theory kind of person... but in this case I think more than one person in that store knows what happened to Brian.

Boatswain'sMate
12-22-2005, 12:39 AM
docwho3 mentioned the possibility of a delivery truck, and walk-ins are usually located near the back door. What if, for some reason, the produce-delivery guy had a run-in with him in the walk-in, killed him and put him in the back of the truck, and then continued delivering the produce, smearing blood on the boxes.

PonderingThings
12-22-2005, 05:02 PM
Another case of I don't know.....
I was struck by how close the sketch looks to Brian... but there is very little information, and the height is off by 5". Age is right though. Also if he was as injured as they reported, how did he get from Illinois to California... and why?

http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/images/carrick_brian2.jpg
Brian on Left, John Doe on right
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/727umca.html

Unidentified White Male
* The victim was discovered on April 3, 2004 in Northridge, Los Angeles County, California
* Skeletal Remains
* Formerly Hot Case # 42

Vital Statistics
* Estimated age: 15-23 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4"; weight unknown.

Case History
The victim was located on a horse trail near 12100 Tampa Avenue in Northridge, California on April 3, 2004.

I haven't yet contacted anyone about this possible match.... what do you think?

crash676
12-22-2005, 05:35 PM
I think the resemblance is very scary. It is possible. It could not hurt to contact the authorities. It is possible that he was killed in Johnsburg and his body taken to California. Especially if the delivery driver theory holds true. It is also possible he was taken by force and kept alive for whatever reason. Just a thought...

Yaya
12-22-2005, 05:54 PM
The resemblance is striking, but the 5 inch height difference is hard to overcome. Forensics are not usually off by that much.

I don't think it would have been a produce delivery person due to the fact they usually don't enter the store to put out produce they just unload it in the back.

PonderingThings
12-22-2005, 06:28 PM
The 5" height difference is a problem no way around it.

The produce driver could have unloaded the goods, and other employees could have brought them into different locations in the store. After all, the manager had an employee clean up the blood in the cooler not realising that Brian was missing - how much other work had been done before the blood was discovered?

Also, if Brian was involved in drugs, as some articles mention, is it possible he was beaten and brought to a "Kingpin" who is in California - to account for something? I know that is very "movieish" but this whole case is weird.

I decided I would at least forward the tip. Problem is that when I called the police department I asked them if they had an email address. THEY DON'T. Because the web addresses are so long I would prefer to send them in writing.... so I have the option of faxing the info tomorrow, from the office.

Instead I emailed the tip to the newspaper collumnist, as she is a friend of Brian's mom, and asked her to forward it to the right people. Worse case is that she won't (and I doubt that) and I'll just have to fax it tomorrow.

At least I tried....

docwho3
12-22-2005, 08:16 PM
I admit I had not thought of him answering to any bigshot but I did wonder about the reports that he may have been involved in dealing so I wondered if he might have been either selling to some of the drivers bringing in loads or else maybe one of them was his supplier. Maybe he owed money to his supplier and that might account for him wanting to trade off working that particular evening when maybe that driver was bringing in a load (he was turned down.) Or maybe a driver could have wanted some dope and was willing to beat him to get to know the whereabouts of his stash on the premises?

I guess I should take a moment to state that I am keeping in mind that the tips reported about his possible drug dealing may not be true especially if some local people wanted to smear his character to obscure some local beef they may have had with him.

The produce driver could have unloaded the goods, and other employees could have brought them into different locations in the store. After all, the manager had an employee clean up the blood in the cooler not realising that Brian was missing - how much other work had been done before the blood was discovered?

Also, if Brian was involved in drugs, as some articles mention, is it possible he was beaten and brought to a "Kingpin" who is in California - to account for something? I know that is very "movieish" but this whole case is weird.

I decided I would at least forward the tip. Problem is that when I called the police department I asked them if they had an email address. THEY DON'T. Because the web addresses are so long I would prefer to send them in writing.... so I have the option of faxing the info tomorrow, from the office.

Instead I emailed the tip to the newspaper collumnist, as she is a friend of Brian's mom, and asked her to forward it to the right people. Worse case is that she won't (and I doubt that) and I'll just have to fax it tomorrow.

At least I tried....

PonderingThings
12-22-2005, 08:27 PM
DocWho that is an intrigueing possibility too! I can see something along those lines happening - at least it explains why he would be taken from the store after being beaten!

I decided to send this tip to the LA Coroner office as well.... they have an online form that routes it to the right person - problem is it doesn't work! :banghead:

I ended up going through their email list and picking someone that did "decendant identification" and explained why I was emailing them!

It really shouldn't be this tough to make a suggestion! I kinda feel like the technology is doing this to me ----> :crazy:

Yaya
12-23-2005, 08:44 AM

Good point... well taken.
I'm willing to admit when I have been spanked! :blowkiss:

docwho3
12-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Good point... well taken.
I'm willing to admit when I have been spanked! :blowkiss:I hope you didn't really feel spanked.
I think you are all possibly on the right track as to how the blood spotted boxes got into the regular shopping part of the store.

Note to readers:
Let me take a moment to also point out a few things about about grocery stores (having briefly worked in one at one time):Note:I added boldling in the following quotes:
Sorce at http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/carrick_brian.html

. . . a half-liter of watery blood in the produce cooler. . .Most stores have a produce cooler in the back noncustomer storage area of the store and they bring out produce from there to the main shopping part of the store as needed, to restock shelves and produce bins.

. . . Additional drops of blood were located both inside and outside the cooler, on several produce boxes throughout the store, and on some boxes that had been put in the trash compactor. DNA testing confirmed that the blood was Carrick's. . .The trash compacter in a grocery store is usually a large machine (again located in the back noncustomer storage area of the store) used to smash cardboard boxes into a bale made of many very flat boxes. It is not impossible for a body to have been placed in a bale of compacted boxes and hauled off. Usually boxes of produce are brought in by semi and are unloaded onto the dock and hauled a few feet away to a temp staging/unpacking area. Boxes are then unpacked and the empty boxes disposed of which sometimes requires the use of cardboard cutter (usually a razor sharp bladed cutting tool.) Unpacked collapsed boxes are put into the compacter.

It is not imposible for him to have cut himself and dripped blood everywhere in the back noncustomer storage area of the store but not likely as this would have been highly discouraged by management. Also I read in this same article that "Police suspect foul play in Carrick's case; they believe he was beaten to death inside the store " so I will not dispute that. L.E. probably had cause to make such a determination.

If they are right, he was beaten and killed in the back noncustomer storage area of the store and then moved and the boxes with the most blood put in the trash compacter to hide them from sight. Not sure if the body was placed in the produce cooler to keep it fresh while the rest of the shipment was unloaded (a refrigerated tuck would make an ideal way to transport a body away) or at least while the perps figured out what to do with the body but its a possibillity.

Also it is a possibility that a produce cooler is more sound proofed due to the extra insulation in the walls.

Why wasn't the crime scene cleaned up more thoroughly? Maybe they were inturrupted and were afraid of being caught or maybe a truck had to stay on schedule to avoid suspicion.

Not knowing the time elapsed before L.E. searched the store over I am a little bothered by blood spattered boxes having been all over the store. It is true that a grocery store moves lots of boxes per day but it does take a finite amount of time to do so and usually employees are careful not to gross out the customers by putting bloody boxes out for them to see. If that business was really being run that poorly someone needs to do some inspections on that store.

PonderingThings
12-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Yaya I loved the spanked line, and truly did laugh out loud! I hope you truly don't feel that way as that wasn't the intention. I appreciate your contribution!

Doc I like your way of thinking - and thank you for the information about the different areas of a grocery store... point is that although L.E. called it "spatter", the reality is that it could just be little drops of blood on the boxes - nothing noticeable unless you were looking for it.

... I gotta wonder how "technological" this village is as their police department doesn't even have email. Although I don't doubt that their police officers are well trained, they aren't necessairly trained to the "CSI" tv level.

docwho3
12-23-2005, 07:29 PM
... point is that although L.E. called it "spatter", the reality is that it could just be little drops of blood on the boxes - nothing noticeable unless you were looking for it. . .True enough. Good point. I was thinking that maybe these drops in the store might have been visible to the naked eye and not just luminol stuff. My limited experience with grocery store work was that blood drops, or anything that did not look good, on a box in the store where customers might see it would not be acceptable. The only reason I was thinking about that at all was because it brought to mind a theory totally different than the one we have been discussing but never mind that for now.

Back to the case:
Parts of this case sound as if the perps possibly had some experience with a grocery store's storage area operations and produce area but maybe not meat cutter experience since no one has mentioned any of his blood being found in that area.

Yaya
12-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Doc, Don't worry I was just kidding about being spanked... sometimes we don't see the obvious... and should be spanked :p I'm afraid I have tunnel vision on this case and I'm not seeing the whole picture.

Pondering, I am glad you got a kick out of the spanked line because that is how it was meant... I thought you would like it :)

Since I am in a tunnel on this one I decided to try to get out for a minute and help Pondering with the California Produce Theory (John Doe as Brian).

So here goes: John Doe was located on a horse trail near 12100 Tampa Avenue in Northridge, California.... here's something that might add a little to your Produce Theory

All of these Produce suppliers are found in Northridge:
FK International - Northridge California
8327 Tampa Avenue, Northridge CA 91324 - Map (javascript:n('8327+Tampa+Avenue','91324'))
Fruits Vegetables Produce Fruit Vegetable Veggies

JC Farm - Northridge California
8505 Reseda Boulevard, Northridge CA 91324 - Map (javascript:n('8505+Reseda+Boulevard','91324'))

Louise Produce - Northridge California
8242 Louise Avenue, Northridge CA 91325 - Map (javascript:n('8242+Louise+Avenue','91325'))

I'm not sure if these two sale produce... but it's possible
Advance Wholesale Grocery - Northridge California
11657 Amigo Avenue, Northridge CA 91326 - Map (javascript:n('11657+Amigo+Avenue','91326'))
Food Market Food Markets

Advance Wholesale Grocery - Northridge California
20528 Pesaro Way, Northridge CA 91326 - Map (javascript:n('20528+Pesaro+Way','91326'))
Food Market Food Markets

Maybe you could find out who their wholesale produce comes from.

Just so you know... about the spanking remark... Pondering is new here and I looked back over some of my post and got concerned that I may have come off in a way I had not intended. It is easy to do on the internet. You just can't seem to get the same inflection when you're typing :p It was just my way of being light hearted so Pondering would know I was not trying to be a troll.

docwho3
12-24-2005, 01:26 AM
. . .Since I am in a tunnel on this one I decided to try to get out for a minute and help Pondering with the California Produce Theory (John Doe as Brian). Evidence of surgery on the bones from open heart should be looked for on the john doe skeletal remains. If found they should do DNA testing.
Brian had a heart problem and a surgery scar on his chest. I think that sounds a bit like open heart was done. If so the bones will show clear evidence of that as they have to be cut through and then wired back in place.

Arrrgh- I had that written up in much nicer detail but got an invalid thread message on previewing. This post is my 2nd time and I am copying & pasting to notepad first just incase.

PonderingThings
12-24-2005, 07:02 AM
Doc they found skeleton remains... but we really don't know how much they found, or in what condition. If the remains were out in the open (not buried) then animals could have taken away many of the bones...

Yaya I am new, but I have yet to come across a troll on this site! I certainly never had the impression you were one! I am appreciating your sense of humor though!

It was Doc who suggested the truck driver connection - and I like the theory a lot as it explains a lot.... but the reality is even though it all "fits" it doesn't mean its correct.

I know that Brian's siblings also worked at the store, and I imagine other teenagers would be employed from time to time there. This is apparently a very small "Village" so I assume just about anybody in town knew the workings of the store... This kinda explains how this could happen without anyone working there knowing about what was happening/happened.

I still have not received a "confirmation email" from the reporter, or the LA Coroner so I'm not sure they've got the information. That could just be because of the Christmas holidays... we'll see...

PonderingThings
01-08-2006, 08:55 AM
This case was my very first post on Websleuths. I sent 2 emails off and never received any confirmation that they received the info.

I called LE in Brian's home town and they don't have an email address (that they give out). I'm thinking about printing out the information below, along with links and my contact information, and mailing it to them.

It may not be the best lead, but I do think they should be aware of the possibility. If they don't think its worth pursueing then that's ok with me, I just want to tell them.

What do you think?

http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/images/carrick_brian2.jpg
Brian on left, John Doe on right

1. Brian's photo looks like the sketch

2. Brian disappeared in Dec 2002, John Doe was found in April 2004 - Elapsed time 1 year and 4 months. Problem is there is no estimated dated of death for John Doe. So based on the little bit of information we have, this is a match.

3. Brian was 17, John Doe was estimated to be 15-23 - this is a match.

4. There is no hair color or eye color, for John Doe listed. So we can't compare.

5. John Doe is estimated at being 5'4". Brian is listed as 5'9" THIS IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

6. Brian disappeared from Illinois, John Doe was found in California. The locations are very far away from each other - according to google its 2,095 mi (about 1 day 12 hours). THIS IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

If this is indeed Brian possible explanation/speculation:

How is the height descrepancy explained? We have very little information about John Doe. We don't know in what condition the body was found in. We do know that it was found in a wilderness area (beside a horse trail) and it is possible animals scattered the bones - although that is not stated.

It is possible that an accurate height wasn't possible to determine, instead, perhaps, they used another piece(s) of information to determine the height (such as clothing that is not mentioned)? Or perhaps its a data entry error? This is just speculation.

How is the geographical difference explained? Due to the attack on Brian happening at the grocery story (all the blood found), we are speculating that Brian could have been doing business with a truck driver who came to the grocery store. Although this truck driver may not have actually been doing any official business with the store. Something happened. Brian was tossed into the back of the truck and only unloaded when the driver reached California.

This is very much a long shot, as although truck come and go from the grocery store all the time, there is no published evidence that identifies a trucker as a possible connection. Also, there is a lot of wilderness between the two locations.

There is another possibility that he was taken to California, alive, to meet with someone, and once there he was killed or died. Please note, there is no indication that John Doe's death was a homicide.

None of these theories are proven, but they do present possible explanations about how it could happen.

PonderingThings
01-16-2006, 08:55 PM
The Doe Network has just updated the John Doe's page to include the following information:

Distinguishing Characteristics: Hair and eyecolor undetermined.
Dentals: Available. 3rd molars are unerupted and teeth 4, 7, 13 are missing postmortem.

They left the height, as is, at 5'4", which is still the biggest discrepancy between him and Brian... although the geographical difference is also big.

I never received a confirmation email from any of the 3 emails I sent, to 3 different people. So, I don't know if ANYONE has checked out the possibility. At the end of the month I am going to mail a letter to the police department investigating Brian's case, and the Los Angeles Coroner, just to be sure they are aware of this possible (albeit discrepant) possible match.

Kinda makes me wonder what happened to John Doe that 3 of his teeth went missing AFTER he died. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif

lostwithoutyou
06-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Ex-Colleague Of Missing Teen Charged With Perjury

Prosecutors Say Former Co-Worker Lied During Grand Jury Hearing About Disappearance

(CBS) JOHNSBURG, Ill. A teenager disappeared from the northwest suburbs more than four years ago; at this point, no one is in custody, much less charged.

But CBS 2’s Katie McCall has an exclusive report on a major development in the case.

Bryan Carrick's family says they just want to know the truth about what happened to him.

On Tuesday, McHenry County prosecutors said one of Carrick’s former co-workers at Val’s Foods in Johnsburg has told them a pack of lies.
Brian Carrick was 17 years old when he vanished in late 2002. His father, William Carrick, remembers Brian as “very energetic, sharp.”
With the arrest of 24-year-old Mario Casciaro, Brian’s father believes he is closer to learning what happened to his son.
“This is one big step in the right direction. It’s been 4 and a half years,” William Carrick said.
Prosecutors claim Casciaro lied on the stand during recent grand jury testimony about Carrick's disappearance. Casciaro has been charged with nine counts of perjury.
“I never was looking for revenge, but some of his brothers are. They're…they want to see somebody held accountable. They want to get 'em themselves,” William Carrick said.
Brian was last seen at Val's, where he worked with Casciaro. Investigators discovered Carrick's blood near a cooler at the store, but his body was never found.
Now the McHenry County state's attorney’s office says Casciaro made a number of false statements on the stand.
According to the indictment, Casciaro said no to each of the following questions from prosecutors:

“Did you say to Allen Lippert that you directed Shane Lamb to scare Brian Carrick and things got out of hand?”

“And that you called your cousins from Chicago to dispose of Brian Carrick's body?”

“And that Brian Carrick's body was initially buried in a local area?”

“And that it was ultimately moved and dismembered and thrown into a river in Iowa because police were searching for it here?”

Carrick's father believes the criminal justice system will do its job. He just wants to bury his son.
Casciaro is out of jail after posting a $5,000 cash bond Monday. He is scheduled to return to court in two weeks.
McHenry County investigators said they are working this case with Johnsburg police and the FBI.
CBS 2 and the Northwest Herald work together to break news. You can read more on this story in Wednesday's Northwest Herald.

http://cbs2chicago.com/northsuburbanbureau/local_story_163185757.html

joellegirl
06-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Another news link:

http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2007/06/13/news/local/doc466f6a3f92f56107327171.txt

monkalup
03-26-2008, 09:22 PM
http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2007/12/1...88694348634.txt

Five years later, healing elusive for Carrick family

By SARAH SUTSCHEK - ssutschek@nwherald.com
Comments (4 comment(s))
JOHNSBURG – Terry Carrick wants to forgive whoever killed her son. She just doesn’t know who it is.

“Rather than closure, I’d like to fulfill the circle of forgiveness,” she said.

Four years ago, it was standing-room only at St. John the Baptist Church for a memorial Mass remembering Brian Carrick. A family deeply rooted in their Catholic faith, the Carricks have relied on their beliefs to help them survive the loss of one of their 14 children.

They focus on the lighthearted moments they had with their son.

When he was little, Brian Carrick tried to sell his siblings raffle tickets to see who would move into the bedroom vacated by a brother – just one example why they believe he might have been an entrepreneur.

He loved Christmas, and took it upon himself to set up a Nativity set, moving the Wise Men closer each day.

Today is the five-year anniversary of the day Johnsburg resident Brian Carrick, then 17, disappeared. He last was seen walking into Val’s Foods about 6:45 p.m. Dec. 20, 2002. No one reported seeing him leave.

“I did keep shopping there for the first six months, just to see if I could hear anything, see anything,” his mother said.

Terry Carrick no longer goes into Val’s, but she sees it every day from across the street in the white farmhouse where she and her husband, Bill, raised their children.

“The thoughts just come and go,” she said. “There is no such thing as closure. Each day gets easier, but it’s a hole in your heart that never closes.”

Brian Carrick still is considered a missing person, but the case now has the added descriptor of “possible homicide,” Johnsburg Police Chief Kenneth Rydberg said.

“There’s enough evidence pointing that it’s a homicide,” he said.

Blood found in a produce cooler that DNA tests matched with Brian Carrick, the fact that his phone never was used, and statements from individuals point to that conclusion, Rydberg said.

In June, 24-year-old Mario Casciaro of McHenry was indicted on nine counts of perjury for allegedly lying to a grand jury about Brian Carrick’s disappearance. Casciaro worked with Brian Carrick at Val’s.

Casciaro allegedly told another man, Alan Lippert, that Brian Carrick’s body was dismembered and thrown into a river in Iowa, among other statements. But when asked before a grand jury whether he made that claim to Lippert, Casciaro denied it.

Perjury is a Class 3 felony, punishable by up to five years in prison.

Last week, Casciaro asked a judge to throw out three of the perjury charges on the basis that his answers were not critical to the Carrick investigation.

Casciaro next will be in court Dec. 28 when prosecutors will ask a judge to toss the motion to dismiss. Meanwhile, he is free on $50,000 bond.

Terry and Bill Carrick have been to several of Casciaro’s court dates since the indictment.

“He won’t look at us,” Bill Carrick said. “He has never made eye contact once.”

They are reluctant to discuss the grim scenario outlined in the indictment and do not denigrate Casciaro, confident that someday they will know what happened to their son.

“If he does know or have some information, then I don’t know how he’s been able to keep quiet for so long,” Terry Carrick said. “When the truth comes out – and it will – we’ll have answers.”

Prosecutors have revealed that they have audio recordings of conversations between Lippert and Casciaro that were made without Casciaro’s knowledge.

The recordings’ entire transcript has not been publicly disclosed.

“I think we’ve made some strides, but certainly not enough,” State’s Attorney Louis Bianchi said. “Murder is murder. We’ve got an obligation to continue this and we will for as long as we have to.”

The police have received three or four leads this year, compared to about 300 in the first four months after Brian Carrick’s disappearance, Rydberg said.

But the case is not cold; it’s still wide open, he said.

The grand jury locked in testimony from witnesses or people who were there when he disappeared, Rydberg said.

“When Lou Bianchi agreed to convene the grand jury, that was a big step for this case and that’s what was able to bring us the audio recordings,” he said.

A flier with Brian Carrick’s picture from when he went missing still hangs on Rydberg’s wall, an unnecessary constant reminder.

“I know this was a big year for the case,” Rydberg said. “Eventually, I believe this case will be solved.”

As they have done since Brian Carrick went missing, the Carricks continue to plead for anyone with any information, no matter how innocuous it might seem, to come forward.

“It’s going to be something they think is innocent and has nothing to do with the case that’s going to bust it open,” Terry Carrick said.

Complete strangers still approach the Carricks, telling the family they think about Brian Carrick and say a little prayer every time they drive by the big, white farmhouse.

“Those prayers, someday, are going to open somebody’s heart,” Terry Carrick said.

Just as strangers have reached out to them, Bill and Terry Carrick have reached out to parents who also have lost a child.

On occasion, they have attended the wakes of young people – some of whom they did not know – to tell the parents that each day grows a little easier.

“In my mind,” Terry Carrick said, “that was healing.”

Today marks five years since then 17-year-old Brian Carrick disappeared after visiting his workplace, Val’s Foods in Johnsburg. In June, a 24-year-old McHenry man and a former co-worker of Carrick’s, Mario Casciaro, was charged with nine counts of perjury for allegedly lying to a grand jury about his knowledge of Carrick’s fate. It was the first arrest in the longstanding missing person case, to which police now have added the descriptor “possible homicide.”

A $25,000 reward still is being offered for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of those responsible for Carrick’s disappearance. Johnsburg Police urge anyone with information to call them at 815-385-6024 or CrimeStoppers at 800-762-7867.

joellegirl
07-18-2008, 08:51 PM
http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2008/07/18/news/local/doc4880daca2d094825934056.txt

WhyaDuck?
11-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Mother of missing teen dies after leukemia fight

JOHNSBURG – Terry Carrick believed in the redemptive value of suffering.

It was that belief and deep faith in God that helped her deal with the 2002 disappearance of her 17-year-old son Brian, who police believe was murdered.

And it was that faith she turned to when she was diagnosed with leukemia and lung cancer this summer.

“I saw her a week ago, and she was in a lot of pain,” said Cindy Nusser, a longtime friend of Terry Carrick’s. “But she was still the same feisty, Irish, happy person. She was resigned, but not in a giving-up way, but in a hopeful way of accepting God’s will.”

Terry Carrick, 65, died Saturday morning at University of Illinois Medical Center.

The mother of 14 children, Carrick was a longtime Johnsburg resident who was heavily involved with St. John the Baptist Catholic Church.

After Brian's disappearance, Carrick continued to search for answers, but she did not allow what happened to rule her life.

“My mom knew [the police] were working their hardest on the case,” said Bridget Carrick, her 19-year-old daughter. “She did find peace with it. It wasn’t consuming her life.”

http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2009/11/22/r_t0wohbnits6tyjk91aotlw/index.xml

R.I.P. Mrs Carrick; very sorry you had to die without seeing justice for your son.

summer_breeze
02-04-2010, 06:47 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=356755

By Chuck Keeshan | Daily Herald StaffContact writer
Published: 2/4/2010 12:49 PM

Lake County man linked to the 2002 disappearance of a 17-year-old boy has struck a deal with county prosecutors to testify against suspects in the presumed murder, multiple sources familiar with the investigation said Thursday.

Under the deal, Shane Lamb, 25, of Lake Bluff, would receive immunity for his undisclosed role in killing of Brian Carrick, but instead receive a short prison sentence on an unrelated drug case, according to an official who has seen the agreement.

summer_breeze
02-09-2010, 07:46 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=357948

Lake Co. man linked to missing teen pleads guilty to drug charge
By Charles Keeshan | Daily Herald Staff

A Lake County man reportedly ready to testify against others in connection with the 2002 disappearance and suspected murder of a Johnsburg teen pleaded guilty to an unrelated drug charge Tuesday with no mention of an immunity deal sources say he recently struck with prosecutors.

Shane A. Lamb, 25, of Lake Bluff, was sentenced to six years in prison after admitting to an unlawful possession of cocaine charge stemming from a 2008 drug investigation in Spring Grove.

joellegirl
02-26-2010, 11:53 PM
http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2010/02/26/04863166/index.xml

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=362368

Cubby
02-27-2010, 04:45 AM
I wonder if Casciaro will now reveal the location of Brians remains.

Glad to see there has finally been an arrest in this case. Long time coming.

Cubby
04-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Judge denies gag order in suburban murder case:

Judge denies gag order in McHenry murder case

April 30, 2010 1:59 PM | No Comments (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/04/judge-denies-gag-order-in-mchenry-murder-case.html#comments)

A McHenry (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/neighborhoods.html?region=1395270) County judge denied today the state's request for a gag order in the case of a Fox Lake (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/neighborhoods.html?region=1395161) man charged with first-degree murder.

Mario Casciaro, 26, faces a first degree murder charge in the death of Brian Carrick, who was 17 when he disappeared in 2002. His body has never been found.

A little more at link.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/04/judge-denies-gag-order-in-mchenry-murder-case.html

Claudette
05-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Glad to hear something is happening.

I know a lot of people from that area. Small town, LE not used to this kind of thing, lots of rumors. Rumor is that it was drug related, ie he was selling a lot less than things were worth, things along those lines. Have also heard some weird story about a car being parked in a corn field. A LOT of rumors and misinformation around this case. This should have been solved the day his blood was found IMHO.

Claudette
11-01-2010, 08:52 PM
UPDATE: The grocery store he worked in (and presumably died in) closed its doors within the last week or so and is no longer in business.

summer_breeze
01-21-2012, 09:03 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/10133453-418/murder-trial-of-missing-mchenry-county-teen-could-prove-tough-for-prosecutors.html

BY DAN ROZEK Staff Reporter drozek@suntimes.com
January 20, 2012 8:04PM
Updated: January 21, 2012 2:06AM

More than nine years after his teenage son disappeared from the McHenry County grocery store where he worked, William Carrick still is looking for answers.

Claudette
01-23-2012, 07:36 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/10133453-418/murder-trial-of-missing-mchenry-county-teen-could-prove-tough-for-prosecutors.html

BY DAN ROZEK Staff Reporter drozek@suntimes.com
January 20, 2012 8:04PM
Updated: January 21, 2012 2:06AM

It's really sad. I'm around the same age as him and live in the next town over. I didn't live here before but my husband and people in a few of our groups of friends were friends with him or acquaintances. My husband saw him either the night or the day before he disappeared and has his theory on why it happened (I don't think it's any different than LE's theory if I remember correctly). The night he disappeared hubby saw something weird in a cornfield but he thinks people were spooked away and there was nothing that ended up being there. It's one of those cases where everyone knows what happened but there's just nothing that can be done about it because there is no evidence whatsoever. The local LE is not equipped for that kind of thing, all they really do is watch the local bar for drunks driving home and harass boaters in the summer. It's talked about openly with people like it is fact, people morbidly joke about how they stopped buying ground beef from there. Of course it technically IS hearsay so it could possibly not be true but...it's a small town and I'm pretty sure they didn't keep the story to themselves. MOO.

ETA I just realized I pretty much rewrote the same post as a few months ago...whoops.

Cubby
01-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Murder trial begins today with key evidence still missing: The body.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-01-23/news/ct-met-casciaro-trial-advance-20120123_1_mario-casciaro-murder-trial-brian-carrick

Article is from January 23rd, so the trial began Monday of this week.

Cubby
01-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Key witness said he and accused murderer never planned to kill Johnsburg teen

Mario Casciaro called him to help collect a drug debt from Brian Carrick, but didn’t tell him to harm the Johnsburg teenager, Shane Lamb testified Thursday.
Lamb — a critical witness in Casciaro’s McHenry County murder trial — admitted he punched the 17-year-old Carrick unconscious because he lost his temper as they argued in a grocery store cooler over the drug debt.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/10231292-418/key-witness-said-he-and-accused-murderer-never-planned-to-kill-johnsburg-teen.html

Cubby
01-27-2012, 10:47 AM
DNA evidence scrutinized in Casciaro murder trial

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120125/news/701259779/

Cubby
01-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Lamb said that about 6:30 p.m. Dec. 20, 2002, he got a call from Casciaro, whose family co-owned the store.

Casciaro fronted him with marijuana, Lamb said, meaning that Casciaro would give him the pot but not collect payment until it had been sold.

So when Casciaro asked him to talk to Brian Carrick about a quarter-pound of marijuana for which Casciaro was owed money, Lamb said he agreed. He had to make sure that his practice of getting marijuana before he could pay for it would continue.

http://www.nwherald.com/2012/01/26/witness-i-lost-my-temper-with-carrick/auawgd0/

From the information in MSM, I hate to say I think Lamb's testimony sounds weak. I'm not sure what to think about a possible outcome.

I don't understand how Carrick's family has not filed a wrongfull death suit against Casciaro, unless I have missed that they have somewhere along the line.

Add to that some kind of liability against his family who co-owned the grocery store. Here is a family, who co-owns this store and their kid is dealing drugs and having employee's deal for him? Sounds really messed up. I don't buy for a second that they were unaware of what was happening with the drugs under their nose.

I have to admit, with a name like Casciaro I gotta wonder if there are any ties to organized crime here. And no, I don't consider that too far of a stretch since there is no question drugs were being peddled through this grocery store.

I do pray this leads to answers about what happened to Brian. I have no doubt Casciaro knows exactly where Brian was moved.

I wish I could be sitting in the court room for this trial.

:praying:

Donjeta
01-27-2012, 12:05 PM
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/carrick_brian.html

Claudette
01-27-2012, 07:51 PM
AND according to witnesses on the stand today, Casciano also enlisted family to dispose. Nice group.

Cubby
01-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Shane hit him, or something," Lippert said Casciaro told him. "But it was an accident and (Casciaro) had relatives come in to help remove or dispose of the body and Shane took it to a river in Iowa."

Lippert testified that after a night of drinking several beers and doing shots at a Fox Lake bar in 2006, he asked Casciaro what happened to Carrick's body.

Months later, Lippert was arrested on unrelated charges and Johnsburg police asked him about the Carrick case. He said he told them the story he testified to on Friday. He said that in 2008 he repeated the story to FBI investigators.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-johnsburg-murder-0128-20120128,0,3927485.story

Cubby
01-28-2012, 06:31 PM
AND according to witnesses on the stand today, Casciano also enlisted family to dispose. Nice group.

Exactly. I find myself wondering about Casciano's family helping dispose of the body. My first thoughts are why not then clean the blood from the cooler? But I then immediately answer that with the risk it would have been for Mario or anyone to return to the grocery store after having left to dispose of Brians body. Especially with the Carrick family living directly across the street from the grocery store. It was less risky, imo, to leave the blood for an am employee under the pretense it was blood from the meat versus a human being.

No, I don't believe they would have risked returning to the grocery to clean up knowing it would be suspicious for the Carrick family directly across the street to see anyone returning to the grocery late the evening Brian disappeared.

I also find it highly likely Mario would have told Lippert that Lamb was the person to dispose of the body in the river to take the heat off his family.

I can also see how the prosecution is going after Mario versus Lamb. I didn't initially, but then thought back to a case in which an illegal Italian immigrant who lived in Addison, IL had set up a robbery down in Florida. While Ottavio Volpe did not cause the victims death, he was in fact responsible for arranging the robbery which led to the victims death. Ottavio Volpe then made a deal for LWOP versus the DP in exchange for his testimony against Anthony Carcione who was the actual person who murdered the victim during the robbery. The robbery would have never occured and the victim would have never been murdered had Ottavio not sought out accomplices and planned to rob the victim. I see the same thing here with Mario Casciano's involvement in Brian's disappearance and presumed murder.

Praying the prosecution is succesful with this one and that a conviction may lead to possibly reduced sentencing in exchange for information on Brian's whereabouts. I realize the Carrick family statement is they have forgiven those responsible. However, the Carrick family deserve to have a final resting place for Brian, and Brian deserves the dignity of a proper final resting place.

Cubby
01-28-2012, 06:59 PM
According to Brian's Charley Project profile, an am employee told his boss there was a pool of watery blood in the produce cooler. CP also goes on to state Val's grocery often kept excess meat in the produce cooler, especially around holidays.

My question is who was the AM manager? Was it a Cascario family member? or someone from the co-owners family? Hmmm.

I've also read other comments, direct MSM quotes from neighbors and locals who knew both families stating the Carrick family should just put it behind them and move on. My response to that, is to quote Edmund Burke: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing". Murder is never ok, and it is never ok to just brush it aside with the hopes of not attracting unwanted attention to a 'nice quiet rural neighborhood'. Nope, this could be anyones child. Brian is a son, a brother and a friend who deserves justice. I am saddened to see the towns people just thinking everyone should move on. Especially since this could be any of their children, siblings or family.

Praying Brian receives the justice he deserves. That someone has a conscience and speaks up about Brians current whereabouts. Such a shame a life lost and all this tragedy over a measly few hundred dollars of drug money. When someone is behind bars I wonder if they'll believe the 400 or so bucks was worth it.

Cubby
01-30-2012, 02:55 PM
WOODTSTOCK – Both the prosecution and defense rested their cases today in the trial of a man accused of murdering a Johnsburg teen in 2002.

<snip>

Carrick was last seen about 6:45 p.m. on Dec. 20, 2002 at Val’s Foods, the Johnsburg grocery store where he and the defendant both worked. His body has never been found.

<snip>

The prosecution put its last witness on the stand Monday, a man named Chris Amen who said he has the nickname "Priest" because of his last name.

Amen said that he and Casciaro were at a bar in 2008 when "things got a little bit heated."

"He said, 'Remember, Priest, I make people disappear," Amen said.

<snip>

The defense did not call any witnesses, but entered several stipulations with the prosecutors, or documents summarizing testimony of witnesses they would call.

For example, both sides agreed that if an employee of an alarm company testified, she would say that the alarm at Val's was set at 8:03 p.m. on Dec. 20, 2002 and disabled the following morning at 7:44. There were no disruptions in between.

http://www.nwherald.com/2012/01/30/both-sides-rest-in-carrick-murder-case/a898t32/

Cubby
02-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Jury deliberating fate of man accused of killing Johnsburg teen in 2002

Jurors deliberated for about eight hours Tuesday without reaching a verdict in the bizarre case, which has the now 28-year-old Casciaro fighting murder charges even though Carrick’s body has never been found.

http://www.suntimes.com/10347793-417/jury-deliberating-fate-of-man-accused-of-killing-johnsburg-teen-in-2002.html

Cubby
02-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Jurors resume deliberations on Casciaro case

At about 9 this morning, jurors began again considering the prosecution's contention that Mario Casciaro was responsible for the 2002 murder of 17-year-old Brian Carrick.

McHenry County Judge Sharon Prather sent the jurors home about 8 p.m. Tuesday after denying a request by the defense to sequester them overnight.

About seven hours in, the jury sent a note to the judge asking four questions.

Casciaro’s attorney, Brian Telander, declined to comment on what the questions were, but said they were all “unanswerable.”

http://www.nwherald.com/2012/01/31/jurors-resume-deliberations-on-casciaro-case/awsdogj/

Cubby
02-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Hung jury in murder trial for man accused in Johnsburg teen’s 2002 disappearance

A McHenry County jury Wednesday was unable to reach a verdict in the case of a 28-year-old man charged with murder in the disappearance and presumed death of Johnsburg teenager Brian Carrick in 2002.

After about 12 hours of deliberations over two days, the jury of seven men and five women remained hopelessly deadlocked, the foreman told Judge Sharon Prather about 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.

McHenry County prosecutors said they won’t drop the murder charges against Casciaro.

“We’re going to retry the case,” Assistant State’s Attorney Michael Combs said.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/10365135-418/hung-jury-in-murder-trial-for-man-accused-in-johnsburg-teens-2002-disappearance.html

summer_breeze
03-17-2012, 08:05 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/news/11346339-418/new-tests-planned-on-evidence-in-case-of-missing-johnsburg-teen.html

BY DAN ROZEK Staff Reporter
drozek@suntimes.com
March 16, 2012 5:56PM
Updated: March 16, 2012 5:58PM

Unidentified fingerprints and blood drops found in a McHenry County grocery store will be tested before Mario Casciaro is tried again for the murder of missing teenager Brian Carrick.

Cubby
08-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Render was once tied to the 2002 disappearance and presumed murder of Brian Carrick, 17, a co-worker at a Johnsburg grocery store whose body has never been found. Authorities in 2008 accused Render of concealing a homicide but later dropped the charge.

<snip>

Render, 26, did not testify in the first trial, but Casciaro's attorney, Brian Telander, said that this time he had planned to put Render on the stand to explore why Render's blood had been found alongside the victim's in the grocery store's walk-in cooler.

"It was my intention to subpoena him and call him as a witness," Telander said. "Obviously, I have to ... do some research as to whether some of his (other) statements are admissible."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-06-06/news/ct-met-robert-render-death-20120606_1_brian-carrick-mario-casciaro-overdose-death

Cubby
08-31-2012, 09:32 AM
WOODSTOCK – Surveillance video from a bar reportedly shows prosecutors’ key witness approach a murder defendant and, the defendant’s family says, admit to lying in the defendant’s first trial, which ended with a hung jury.
There is no audio with the video recorded three weeks ago at Blarney Island, a bar on the Chain O’ Lakes. McHenry County State’s Attorney Michael Combs said the video is irrelevant –

“I don’t think it helps or hurts either party” –and that he plans to pursue the murder case against Mario Casciaro, which is set for retrial Jan. 28.

http://www.nwherald.com/2012/08/24/murder-trial-figures-on-bar-video/axa38ec/

Cubby
03-29-2013, 12:09 AM
More than 10 years after Brian Carrick's disappearance, murder retrial begins

Prosecutors are trying for the second time to prove that Mario Casciaro, who worked with Carrick at a Johnsburg grocery store, was responsible for Carrick's presumed death after Casciaro and another co-worker, Shane Lamb, confronted Carrick about a drug-dealing debt. The store, Val's Foods, was the last place Carrick was seen alive, and blood evidence matching Carrick was found there.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-27/news/ct-met-brian-carrick-murder-retrial-0327-20130327_1_mario-casciaro-shane-lamb-brian-carrick

Cubby
03-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Brian Carrick disappearance: Timeline

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-25/news/ct-met-brian-carrick-timeline-20130325_1_mario-casciaro-terry-carrick-shane-lamb

mikkismom
04-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Area Man Found Guilty of Murder in Teen's 2002 Disappearance

http://crystallake.patch.com/articles/area-man-found-guilty-of-murder-in-teen-s-2002-disappearance

Claudette
04-03-2013, 08:28 PM
A bit easier to read...

http://www.suntimes.com/19232804-761/re-trial-in-mchenry-murder-heads-to-jury.html

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed
09-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Brian Carrick's convicted killer seeks new trial

Mario Casciaro was taken to trial three times in connection with the disappearance of a teenage co-worker before prosecutors secured a guilty verdict.

Now — more than a decade since 17-year-old Brian Carrick went missing from a McHenry County grocery — Casciaro's lawyers are trying to win him yet another murder trial, in hopes of a different outcome.

They're due to argue at a Wednesday hearing that Casciaro's conviction should be thrown out, saying he did not receive a fair trial last spring when he was found guilty of murder by intimidation. Casciaro, 30, has been in jail awaiting sentencing since then; Carrick's body has never been found.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/ct-met-brian-carrick-new-trial-20130821,0,3533185.story

summer_breeze
11-15-2013, 07:15 AM
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois/man-convicted-of-killing-missing-teen-sentenced/article_fff09f48-5908-53f0-9a3e-0840a56c064a.html

10 hours ago

A 26-year prison sentence was handed a man convicted of murdering a 17-year-old suburban Chicago teenager who disappeared in 2002.