PDA

View Full Version : Suspect remains at large in charred bodies probe

mysteriew
12-23-2005, 06:34 AM
Manuel Torres Alvarez was still on the run from Hidalgo County sheriff’s deputies as of late Thursday night — thanks to his mother and sisters.

Alvarez was about to be taken in for questioning Thursday afternoon in reference to two separate cases in which authorities discovered charred bodies near Donna earlier this week. But, as deputies tried to handcuff him, Alvarez’s mother and sisters suddenly began to fight the deputies, Sheriff Lupe Treviño said.

Alvarez, 31, managed to escape from the deputies and ran into the brush west of Farm-to-Market Road 493 and south of Ponciano Road, near where the charred remains of a body and pickup truck were found Wednesday morning.

He may still be wearing the handcuffs.

Earlier in the week on Saturday, deputies had discovered another burned vehicle with a body inside it. The first death occurred less than five miles away from the second on Valley View Road, south of Donna Lakes. The vehicle found in the first death is registered to Alvarez’s brother, Lorenzo Alvarez.

"Our information is that Manuel Alvarez may have some information that might help to clear the second murder," Treviño said.

But Treviño was careful to note that just because the first charred vehicle was registered to Alvarez’s brother, it doesn’t mean the second slaying, which was carried out in the same way, is in any way linked to the first.

The cases are still under investigation. Police cannot discuss any motives because the bodies have not been positively identified, pending DNA testing that could take as long as several more months, he said.

Deputies were patrolling the area south of Donna Thursday morning when they spotted a red Chevy Camaro — the car that Alvarez is said to drive, the sheriff said.

The deputies attempted to pull the Camaro over, but the driver, later identified as Alvarez, wouldn’t stop and instead led deputies to his Donna home.

Alvarez then went inside the house. Treviño said Alvarez’s family, including another brother, Felipe Torres Alvarez, came outside and confronted the deputies. Deputies soon figured out Felipe Alvarez had an arrest warrant for an aggravated sexual assault charge, the sheriff said.

As the deputies tried to handcuff both brothers — Manuel for questioning and Felipe for the warrant — the struggle between the deputies and the family began.

Manuel got away; Felipe was arrested.

At one point, 30 deputies, detectives and supervisors were in the area looking for Manuel Alvarez. A Texas Department of Public Safety helicopter was called in for aerial surveillance. Around 3 p.m., the search area shifted to the north. By nightfall, the department downsized the search team.

There is "a distinct possibility" that the deputies will be back to arrest the Alvarez’s mother and sisters — there were at least two —who were involved in the fight, Treviño said. The family members could face charges of hindering apprehension and assisting in escape.

Alvarez’s mother has been arrested previously for hindering the arrest of her sons.

Manuel Alvarez is also a suspect in a drive-by shooting that occurred a few nights ago in the same area, Treviño said.
http://www.themonitor.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=10767&Section=Local

SewingDeb
12-23-2005, 12:45 PM
What a family!! I hope they catch him soon. He sounds very dangerous.

Bobbisangel
12-24-2005, 03:03 AM
What a family!! I hope they catch him soon. He sounds very dangerous.

Sounds like LE need to just gather up the whole family and throw them all in prison. I hope they do arrest the mother and sisters. I can't even imagine going outside and fighting LE so that my son could get away. I hope they find this guy soon too. Hopfully he won't be able to get those handcuffs off as that will hinder some of the things he might do while on the run.

SewingDeb
12-24-2005, 04:51 AM
Sounds like LE need to just gather up the whole family and throw them all in prison. I hope they do arrest the mother and sisters. I can't even imagine going outside and fighting LE so that my son could get away. I hope they find this guy soon too. Hopfully he won't be able to get those handcuffs off as that will hinder some of the things he might do while on the run.

It does sounds like they need to spend a little time in jail. I hope he still has the handcuffs on when they pick him up. It will save a little time in getting him to jail.

aussiegran
12-24-2005, 02:44 PM
What a sick family :doh: , I wonder who he has murdered ,who is missing in the area does anyone know?