PDA

View Full Version : Christa Worthington murder

Hammerized
01-03-2004, 04:21 PM
I couldn't find the old thread- was it in the Unsolved forum? Hey, where'd Unsolved go?
----
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/01/03/knife_found_near_worthington_murder_may_not_elicit _clues/
"Knife found near Worthington murder may not elicit clues
1/3/2004

TRURO, Mass. -- A knife found in the woods near the home of slain fashion writer Christa Worthington who was stabbed to death, may not elicit any clues, since it was used for several days by the man who found it, police said." ...

Up2theminute
01-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Yes, the original Christa Worthington thread was in the Unsolved & Mysterious section. It was apparently deleted by mistake but is supposed to be re-emerging now that we are on the updated server. We'll see.

I've saved the original thread discussion though and can re-post it here on your thread if you want.

Interesting story about the knife being found. I hadn't seen this yet today. Thanks for posting it.

Hammerized
01-03-2004, 05:20 PM
YW! I saw an article last week about a knife being found, but was on my way out so I didn't get over here to post the link. It got my hopes up :) I hope all this guy did was "rinse" the knife- as he put it- maybe there's a chance it can be linked to Christa from blood in the seam around the handle that wasn't merely "rinsed" away. :::fingers crossed:::

Thanks for the info about the Unsolved forum returning, I'll surely re-post these to the thread once it does. I'm so glad you saved the original discussion. If Unsolved doesn't return, I think it would be good to re-start the thread with the older posts/info!

Another article:
http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/localRegional.bg?articleid=976
"Last week, a source told the Herald the knife was found in the ``vicinity'' of Worthington's Depot Road home and was sent to the state crime lab for DNA and fingerprint testing.

The source said it ``will be treated as a potential piece of evidence in the case.'' It was unclear whether the results of the tests have been returned."

Up2theminute
01-04-2004, 05:15 PM
Hammerized, I'm not sure how soon there will be an Unsolved section. Let me know when or if you want the old thread re-posted onto yours here. There are two new articles from Cape Cod Times. Not about the knife but one is about the upcoming movies that will be made about this story and another about the anniversary of the murder, the fact that it's still unsolved, what clues they're looking at, etc. I hope the knife will help them understand at least some more info about the case too.

Up2theminute
01-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Reel life: Truro murder as movie
Film companies are showing interest in the two-year-old Christa Worthington case and Tony Jackett's story.

By CONOR BERRY
STAFF WRITER
PROVINCETOWN - As the two-year anniversary of the unsolved murder of Christa Worthington closes in, it should come as no surprise that the story of the Truro fashion writer's death may be bound for the big screen.

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/reellife30.htm

Up2theminute
01-04-2004, 05:18 PM
January 4, 2004

Truro murder remains unsolved
As the second anniversary of Christa Worthington's slaying nears, investigators continue to chase leads.

By KAREN JEFFREY
STAFF WRITER
The reward remains unclaimed, the book still generates controversy, but as the second anniversary of former fashion writer Christa Worthington's murder approaches, has there been any real progress in the case?

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/truromurder4.htm

Litlstar04
01-07-2004, 12:50 PM
This whole case makes me so frustrated, and seems like there are just a bunch of bumbling idiots surrounding it. Now, the supposed murder weapon turns up in the area of the murder. Was the property around her house not searched for clues? It's just like the Molly Bish case where important evidence shows up in plain sight years later. And then, Tony Jackett says the following:

"To tell you the truth, if all this stuff just went away, I wouldn't mind it," he said, adding that he hopes the filmmaker doesn't stray from the known facts of the case. "I could be made out to look like a real schmuck." Maybe he should be a little more concerned with finding the killer of the mother of his child. He's already done a good job making himself look like a schmuck!

MrsMush99
01-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Some new information has been released.

Click Here (http://www.courttv.com/news/2003/0514/fashionwriter_ap.html)

Up2theminute
01-14-2004, 03:39 AM
Hammerized, I'm thinking we can keep this here in the crimes in the news section since the new unsolved/mysterious section is called cold cases and I'm not sure this qualifies as a cold case yet.

I don't know, what do others who have posted on this topic think as far as whether this could go under that category? Let me know and I'll post the saved discussion in here or create a new topic there.

Hammerized
01-14-2004, 04:36 PM
Hammerized, I'm thinking we can keep this here in the crimes in the news section since the new unsolved/mysterious section is called cold cases and I'm not sure this qualifies as a cold case yet.I agree, still info trickling in on it, anyway.

What does LE call a "cold case" anyway? Is there a predetermined length of time with no leads that makes it cold, or no manpower to expend while there are new cases cropping up? Both?

Up2theminute
01-24-2004, 03:13 AM
Christa Worthington - murdered 1/6/2002

08-16-2003 11:29 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Originally posted by Up2theminute
http://www.christaworthington.com/
- the family and friends page...just with a brief description of the murder and who to contact if anyone has any information, including the family's own private investigator.

(There are many articles of course which I'll add soon. Of course if anyone has any of them handy at anytime and wants to post them..go right ahead :cool: )

QuickQuote

08-17-2003 01:35 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Greater Boston: The Mystery of the Christa Worthington Murder
Originally broadcast June 24, 2003

There's more to this and a video clip: http://www.greaterboston.tv/features/gb_062403_truro.html

QuickQuote

08-25-2003 11:53 AM

boody
Contender

Originally posted by boody
I have been interested in this case for a while and now I am reading the book by Maria Flook. [Interesting, but she uses too many "quotes" when they are not really "necessary."] Does anyone know if they have ever identified the DNA from the semen in Christa?

QuickQuote

08-26-2003 01:45 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Hi boody (interesting name ),
I don't think they've made any definitive conclusion about the DNA. I have heard though that it didn't match any of her exes that were considered possible suspects.
I haven't seen the book firsthand. Can you tell some more about it?

QuickQuote

09-07-2003 02:12 PM

boody
Contender

I don't really think it will ever be solved. It seems clear that the cops/ DA thought she was a slut/homewrecker and either lost interest or let it cloud their judgment. Or maybe the killer just covered her/his tracks too well..... (interesting tidbit in the book, though, about how the cops took out all her Victoria's Secret undies from the drawers, lined them up on the bed and photographed them, as if they would say something about what type person she was)....

QuickQuote

09-08-2003 11:17 AM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Wow, God, are you serious, boody? That's awful. I mean I kind of figured that's how many people in the small town including LE saw her, especially with her baby being from a married man, but I didn't know about the underwear thing or how much it really clouded their judgement. I could definitely tell though that the one prosecutor didn't like her at all. I did kind of wonder though if maybe the prosecutor himself had an affair with her at one time because he seemed awfully hateful towards her, almost in a way like an ex lover might be.

QuickQuote

09-08-2003 11:58 AM

boody
Contender

Well, the prosecutor was recently divorced so he may have had some issues w/ women in general, but one quote from him was something like, "The more we look at her [Christa's] life, the uglier and uglier she gets."
After the book came out, I know he apologized to Christa's family, but I believe they are still not satisfied.

Also, Tony Jackett was/ is a prominent figure in town, very popular, and throughout his marriage, apparently, not shy about fraternizing w/ the ladies.

I'd like to know his wife's alibi.

QuickQuote

09-08-2003 03:24 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Yes, I remember that quote. I thought it was very odd for someone as a prosecutor to be making such a publically hostile comment like that. True, though, about his divorce. That could have been what gave him that edge.
I've wondered about the female significant others of the men (man?) she was having an affair with too.

QuickQuote

09-08-2003 04:13 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Hidden Traces
Cape Cod Murder Mystery
(Court TV 4-'page' story)
http://www.courttv.com/news/hiddentraces/capecod/page1.html

{interesting insight into the Jackett family in there}

QuickQuote

09-08-2003 04:14 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Authorities release details of fashion writer's murder in Cape Cod

BOSTON (AP) — Authorities released new information Tuesday about the investigation into the murder of a fashion writer, including details that they have a DNA profile of a man who had sex with the woman within hours of her death.

http://www.courttv.com/news/2003/05...nwriter_ap.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QuickQuote

09-15-2003 01:41 AM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

I have to add to this that I personally find it very significant that she was stabbed one time in the heart. That certainly sounds like a crime of passion to me. The sex and the murder may have nothing to do with each other or they might but the person who had sex with her may not be who killed her. So in the latter case whether or not the semen dna matched one of her former lovers does not necessarily rule them out as the killer. I also personally find it bizarre that her one ex-boyfriend would just happen to be returning a flashlight, of all relatively insignificant things, on the night she just happened to be killed.

On the other hand, I sincerely hope they really did run the dna against a national database as that one article says. Just because she may have been 'promiscuous' doesn't mean that she could not have been the victim of a rape that led to murder.

Also, in some of these articles they mention that LE noted "signs of a scuffle" outside her home. What exactly were these "signs of a scuffle"? A potted plant turned over? The doormat flipped off to the side? What? Do they do any sort of elaboration on the scenario of the crime in that book? Maybe I need to buy the book. :o Regardless, "signs of a scuffle" indicate to me that someone who came to her home that night was not welcome there.

QuickQuote

09-20-2003 04:54 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

boody (and anyone), I finally caved in and bought the book a few days ago. I've honestly barely gotten into it as of yet even though I've had more time to do so. But I hope that this will give us more to talk about on this topic.

QuickQuote

Up2theminute
01-24-2004, 03:14 AM
10-07-2003 11:51 AM

Litlstar04
Bronze

Originally posted by Litlstar04
Up2, have you had a chance to get further into the book? I want to know if it's worth reading for when I ever find the free time to read!

QuickQuote

10-08-2003 01:59 AM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Litl, No I honestly haven't gotten all the way into it enough to give a recommendation. I'll let you know further along. The author is a native of the town, Truro, where it happened and she talks a lot in a tone from an 'insider/native perspective.

QuickQuote

10-08-2003 11:57 AM

Litlstar04
Bronze

I saw an interview with the author about the book. If I remember correctly, Christa's family wasn't very happy with it?

QuickQuote

10-22-2003 02:05 AM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Yeah the family wasn't very happy with it I think because of the way Christa's life is portrayed as promiscuous and other things along those lines. It does seem a little soon for a book to be written that gets into the seemy sides of it all before anything is even solved. Have you gone and bought the book yet?

QuickQuote

10-22-2003 01:33 PM

Litlstar04
Bronze

Hey Up2,
I checked it out from the library and am reading it now. Or, I should say struggling through it right now. I'm reading it to find out about Christa and her murder, but the author is trying to do something bigger by telling about the history, the weather and the people of the area, relevant or not to this case. I understand what she's doing, but I just want to know the circumstances surrounding this case!
I can understand how Christa's family got upset. This author is trying to convey Christa's thoughts and feelings about situations in her life when she has no way of knowing this information. I'd expect any family would be upset, even without the promiscuity and sordid family history.
I'll let you know if it's even worth your time - so far it's not.

QuickQuote

11-28-2003 01:49 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

MrsMush. That's the same article I posted on September 8th. The Court TV news seems to often label stories as updates that have really been there awhile. :dontknow:

Anyway, here's an article from June 2003 that I don't think has been posted yet.

Tracking A Killer

June 27, 2003

(CBS) Early each morning, local fishing constable Tony Jackett patrols the waterways around tiny Truro, Mass., on the tip of Cape Cod.

Jackett, who comes from a long line of Portuguese fishermen, has been married nearly 30 years. At 52, he has five grown children and is already a grandfather.

He should be enjoying this time of his life. But lately that's been impossible. What happened here on Jan. 6, 2002, changed not only Jackett's life, but the town of Truro as well.

Correspondent Susan Spencer updates a mysterious murder case that was reported on Aug. 5. 2002.

CBS News - 48 Hours
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/04/09/48hours/main505717.shtml

QuickQuote

Up2theminute
01-24-2004, 03:16 AM
12-01-2003 03:48 PM

Litlstar04
Bronze

I finished the book, but still have no idea who killed Christa. I really don't think it's worth reading, but the author, in my opinion, insinuates that Tim Arnold killed Christa after seeing her with another man. I'm just curious why this man that she slept with never came forward if he didn't have anything to do with it. I don't know, but this is definitely one of the most mysterious cases I've ever come across.

QuickQuote

12-04-2003 08:14 PM

boody
Contender

I think the most likely suspect is Mrs. Tony Jackett. (Now everyone can pelt rotten tomatoes at me...) Think about it, you are mad at yr husband for screwing around, but you love him passionately. You are already thinking about having it out Christa when you go over there. What would make you even madder?
-- IF THE SLUT WAS EVEN CHEATING ON YOUR DARLING HUSBAND!!!!

QuickQuote

12-07-2003 08:36 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Thanks for giving the ending away, Litlstar! :evil:

Circumstantially, yes, Tim Arnold seems like the most likely suspect. He was the person who found her dead and his flashlight story could be interpreted as sketchy. Add that to the fact that they allegedly had a somewhat turbulent relationship and it's not looking good for him. Of course he could just be one circumstantially unlucky guy who just happened to be doing an innocent casual thing, such as returning the flashlight, and ending up appearing possibly connected to the crime just by unfortunately being the person to find her. If I remember correctly they hadn't been romantically connected for some time, so I have to question exactly how upset he'd really be if he happened to find her sleeping with someone else at that point. :dontknow:

I have thought about Mrs. Jackett (I can't think of her first name now) being the killer and that actually makes pretty good sense too (no tomatoes from me, boody ). I hadn't thought about it described exactly how you did but that could definitely be what put her over the edge. Certainly could still explain the one stab wound to the heart as being a crime of passion, wouldn't have necessarily have had to have been someone who was actually romantically involved themselves with Christa. And afterall she obviously still cares a great deal for her husband as they are still married, w/ her professing in some articles how people make mistakes, that wouldn't tear them apart, etc, etc.

Another motivation I have in my mind, for Mrs. Jackett as the perp, is to get custody of little Ava. I have read several articles where she and Tony seemed to be astounded (especially she was) that custody of Ava wasn't granted to them after Christa's murder. They almost seem more preoccupied with the fact that they didn't get custody of Ava than with the actual circumstances that led to Ava being motherless in the first place. And they did try to legally to get custody of Ava after the fact but weren't successful.

This also could have been a factor behind the anger (scuffle) and obvious personal hatred behind the crime (stab 1x in the heart).
Maybe Mrs. Jackett was not only disturbed at seeing Christa betray her beloved husband but she also may have seen her as a bad mother (for sleeping with men while Ava was there, etc) and imagined what a better mother she (Mrs. Jackett) would be.

It has always stood out to me to a certain extent that Ava was not harmed at all..not killed, not kidnapped, not otherwise harmed. That is actually one reason why I don't buy the theory that it was the druggie woman who was dating Christa's father. I think she would have kidnapped Ava and sold her into a baby black market for drug money or something. Or maybe have even killed or harmed her in a drug haze.

Whoever did this clearly avoided infringing any harm upon Ava. While it may just mean that the person's intent was to kill Christa only and they didn't care about Ava or couldn't bring themselves to be a babykiller. I think it's something worth wondering about and considering whether there is a reason.

The fact also still stands that Christa was having sex with a, still, publically unknown male whose dna apparently does not match any of the suspects. Very odd. The person could, in the end, not know anything. The crime may have occured awhile after the guy left. But it does make me wonder whether the person wasn't threatened or something to keep his mouth shut if he did see anything.

QuickQuote

12-09-2003 12:51 PM

Litlstar04
Bronze

I didn't give anything away! Actually, the book doesn't reveal anything, so it's impossible for me to give anything away. :D
I just go around and around about all of the suspects...
Tim Arnold - My first impression about him was that he didn't do it. I don't know why I have this impression, but it was my first gut reaction about him. After that, I don't know. I think that he still wanted to be with Christa and was still in love with her. Obviously this could be a reason why he killed her, but I think it's more of reason why he didn't. They hadn't been together romantically in quite some time, so I don't think he'd have reacted by killing her if he saw her with another man.
Mr. and Mrs. Jacket - (I can't remember her name right now either!) I hesitate to think it's either of them, although I tend to believe it's someone from this family, most likely. They had the most to gain in this situation and the most anger. Christa could have ruined their family, but it just so happened that Mrs. Jacket reacted in the exact opposite way than most of us would - she took both Christa and Ava into her family. Tony and the Mrs. did not know that Christa had recently named one of her friends, the family she is with now, to be Ava's guardian, should anything happen to her. I think it's reasonable to believe that the Jackets thought they would be the obvious guardian for Eva, since Tony is the father. Now, the kids were around, and even spent some time at Christa's place. I see them as more likely suspects because they had some problems of their own. They would also not harm Ava.
But, there is still that mystery man out there. Until we know who he is, we can never be sure about his relationship with Christa, so we may never know who killed her.
Something I've wondered... Do you think there is a possibility that Ava could remember what happened? In the book it talks a little about the counseling she is going through. Would a counselor ever try to get out of her what happened? I know she's young, but I have very brief memories from that age and earlier (I think she was three.) Since this event was so traumatic, do you think she might remember it, especially if someone is asking her questions about it?

QuickQuote

Up2theminute
01-24-2004, 03:20 AM
I agree, still info trickling in on it, anyway.

What does LE call a "cold case" anyway? Is there a predetermined length of time with no leads that makes it cold, or no manpower to expend while there are new cases cropping up? Both?

Hmm, I'm not sure what LE calls a cold case. I think it just depends on how much they have left to investigate because there are cases that have happened years ago that are still being worked on yet there are others that happen within say the last year and they get labeled cold if there seem to be dead ends. I know on the missing persons cold case network website they will include cases as recently as 6 months ago.

Up2theminute
01-24-2004, 03:29 AM
Ok, I've re-posted the old thread that we had before the website update.
Everything transferred pretty well. I had to fix a couple of links but that was about it. ;)

Litlstar04
01-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks for posting the old thread! Now maybe we can get people involved in a discussion...

Up2theminute
03-20-2004, 06:19 PM
March 20, 2004
Filmmakers to document Worthington case

By ERIC WILLIAMS
STAFF WRITER

TRURO - An Emmy-winning production company is making a documentary on the Christa Worthington murder case for HBO.

Cape Cod Online (http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/filmmakersto20.htm)

Litlstar04
03-22-2004, 02:55 PM
This sounds like it could be very interesting. I'm anxious to hear another side of the story other than that offered by Maria Flook. Maybe her family's side of the story will shed some light on events? At any rate, HBO documentaries usually get quite a bit of attention, so we'll see what happens.

kato
03-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Why couldn't they put this on a regular cable show? Like A&E or something like that.

Litlstar04
03-26-2004, 05:20 PM
kato, I'm sure that any cable channel could put together a documentary/movie about this case, but this filmmaker has done other projects with HBO. Plus, HBO has a specific department for this type of feature, so I'm sure they have more money than some channels do. Personally, I've been impressed with HBO's past projects, so I'm looking foward to this one!

kato
03-26-2004, 05:27 PM
kato, I'm sure that any cable channel could put together a documentary/movie about this case, but this filmmaker has done other projects with HBO. Plus, HBO has a specific department for this type of feature, so I'm sure they have more money than some channels do. Personally, I've been impressed with HBO's past projects, so I'm looking foward to this one!

I understand but I only have basic cable. Not getting anything else cuz I know people who have digital, dishes and other mediums and there's still nothing to watch. LOL

Litlstar04
03-26-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm one of those people :crazy:
How about this, if we're both still posting when the movie comes out on HBO, I'll tape it for you and send it to you. Does that sound like a plan?

kato
03-29-2004, 01:07 PM
I'm one of those people :crazy:
How about this, if we're both still posting when the movie comes out on HBO, I'll tape it for you and send it to you. Does that sound like a plan?

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the offer.

Up2theminute
03-30-2004, 03:40 AM
I don't have expanded cable either right now. But, who knows, by the time this movie gets finished things may be different. Or we can just go have a viewing party at Litlstar's house. :woohoo:

Up2theminute
03-30-2004, 04:15 AM
Remembering Christa Worthington

I want to write this for Christa, the quietly enigmatic woman I knew in college, the sparkling-eyed petite girl down the hall from me in Lathrop who snagged a single room as a freshman. I want to write this about Christa who, even though she lived in Hingham was really from a town on Cape Cod called Truro. About the friend she was for three brief years more than twenty years ago. I want to write this because in the media's appropriation of her murder for its sensationalistic qualities, Christa is being lost.....

http://www.aavc.vassar.edu/vq/winter2003/worthington.html

Newswolf
01-06-2005, 09:30 PM
http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/thoughlegal6.htm

January 6, 2005

Though legal, general testing arouses concern

By ERIC WILLIAMS and EMILY C. DOOLEY
STAFF WRITERS
TRURO - Investigators in several countries have selectively used mass DNA testing, usually in high-profile cases, since the technology became viable in the 1980s.

Yesterday, state and Truro police began asking local men to volunteer saliva samples in hopes of solving the Christa Worthington murder case. Investigators want to identify the unknown man who had sex with her in the hours contemporaneous with her murder in January 2002. He may be the killer or he may be able to help police identify the killer.

The men who gave samples yesterday signed a DNA saliva collection card, providing their name, date of birth, race and sex. The card also indicates who collected the sample and the date of collection. A few men declined to give samples.

stlouischili
03-28-2005, 02:26 PM
There will be a show about this on Court TV tonight. It is called Under Investigation and it will air at 9pm CT/ 10pm ET.

mysteriew
04-12-2005, 06:17 PM
State police were at the Barnstable County Correctional Facility yesterday collecting DNA samples from inmates with felony convictions on their criminal records.

More than 200 of the jail's 375 inmates were required to be tested under a state law enacted in February 2004 that vastly expanded the range of felons whose genetic material the state must keep on file

In January, DNA testing on Cape Cod received national headlines when police asked for volunteer saliva samples from men in Truro. The hope was to find a match for DNA recovered at the Christa Worthington murder scene three years after the unsolved crime took place.

While the two tests have very different circumstances, Regan, the jail's superintendent, said O'Keefe is hopeful one of the profiles taken yesterday may provide an answer to that case.

"The DA's office has really been pressing to get this done," Regan said. "Obviously, with the Worthington case front and center."

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/countycollects8.htm

Sprocket
04-15-2005, 11:18 AM
They've arrested someone in this cold case. New's is coming in now. There should be a press conference around 1 or 1:30pm ET.

Sherlock
04-15-2005, 11:25 AM
They've arrested someone in this cold case. New's is coming in now. There should be a press conference around 1 or 1:30pm ET.

Hi Sprocket:

They've arrested the garbage man. He has a long list of criminal activity, including violence against women. His DNA matched the dna that was found on her. He is being arraigned at noon today I think.

He actually consented to a DNA test. Must have thought that they wouldn't figure it out?? :loser:

ShowerSinger
04-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Woo-hoo!
Justice can finally be handed down.

Any news on her child? I've often thought of that dear baby.

nanandjim
04-15-2005, 12:56 PM
I am so glad that they finally found the murderer. I wonder how they put two and two together to figure out it was the garbage man.

Sherlock
04-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Nan:

The authorities asked all the men in the community to submit to a DNA test. Those that were reluctant were put under more intense scrutiny. This guy did consent to a test, I don't know if he did it reluctantly or not, but he did. Right away, his DNA matched what was found on her.

The baby has been with her biological father and his wife and family since the murder. He has five other chilren. He is a fisherman.

I saw the man today, he is african-american and was very quiet as he was led from the jail to the courthouse. Haven't seen the conference yet.

Sherlock

LillyRush
04-15-2005, 06:51 PM
The baby, Ava, is actually with Christa's best friends Amyra and Cliff Chase. They were designated in Christa's will to be Ava's guardians should anything happen. They have 4 or 5 kids of their own who are raised with Ava, somewhat close in age to her (she being 6 yrs old now). I think the Chases have worked something out w/ the Jacketts though where the Jacketts get weekend visitation, sort of like in a parental divorce/custody situation. I think it was awkward at first but eventually things got worked out. Tony's kids are all grown, some of them have kids of their own. A couple of them were originally suspected in the murder.

Anyhoo, thank God for DNA & Justice. :clap: :woohoo:

IdahoMom
04-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Someone please set me straight if I'm somehow mistaken-or missing something here, but...wouldn't the police have known YEARS ago that the DNA they had collected was from a man of African-American descent? Why not release that information so that Jackett and others could be free of the clouds of suspicion cast over them for so long?

chicoliving
04-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Someone please set me straight if I'm somehow mistaken-or missing something here, but...wouldn't the police have known YEARS ago that the DNA they had collected was from a man of African-American descent? Why not release that information so that Jackett and others could be free of the clouds of suspicion cast over them for so long?
I thought I heard that this perp consented to his dna but that was a long time ago, something about it "lost in the shuffle" for all this time. It sounded like he was initially contacted during the heat of the investigation and his sample just wasn't processed or the results weren't returned properly. Sorry, didn't quite catch what the problem was but it sounded lab oriented. Someone please correct me if I'm off here :)

breeze
04-15-2005, 11:41 PM
http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/hyannisman15.htm

Christopher M. McCowen, 33, was arrested in connection with the slaying of Christa Worthington.

McCowen gave a DNA sample to police three months after Worthington's death, the source said, but a match was not made until about a week ago.

IdahoMom
04-16-2005, 10:11 AM
I thought I heard that this perp consented to his dna but that was a long time ago, something about it "lost in the shuffle" for all this time. It sounded like he was initially contacted during the heat of the investigation and his sample just wasn't processed or the results weren't returned properly. Sorry, didn't quite catch what the problem was but it sounded lab oriented. Someone please correct me if I'm off here :)
I think if I was Jackett or a member of Christa's family, I would be :furious: :furious: :furious: !! To think Jackett has been scrutinized and villified and speculated about all this time is just obscene!! This is the OPPOSITE of a rush to judgment on the part of the police department!

PrayersForMaura
04-18-2005, 06:03 PM
http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/hyannisman15.htm

Christopher M. McCowen, 33, was arrested in connection with the slaying of Christa Worthington.

McCowen gave a DNA sample to police three months after Worthington's death, the source said, but a match was not made until about a week ago.
That was a very detailed article, thanks for sharing it.
There's also a blurb on court tv's site... http://www.courttv.com/news/2005/0415/capecod_ap.html

Hammerized
04-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Cops stuck at dead end till they widened dragnet: Delay in Christa case angers locals
http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=78898

mysteriew
05-05-2005, 06:34 PM
A week before investigators questioned him a second time about the unsolved murder of Christa Worthington, Christopher McCowen pleaded guilty to threatening to kill his girlfriend.

........... on March 18, 2004, McCowen met with state police detectives to talk about Worthington, a freelance writer found stabbed to death in her Truro home in January 2002

police told McCowen they recovered semen at the scene from an unknown man, and McCowen agreed to give his DNA in the form of a cheek swab. He told investigators he didn't kill her.

On July 7, 2004, police sent the sample to the State Police crime lab in Sudbury, where it was processed last month.

Between 1998 and 2004, five restraining orders were issued against him.

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/violencedetailed5.htm

mysteriew
05-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Christopher McCowen, 33, charged with the murder, rape and armed robbery of Christa Worthington, admitted to participating in the beating of Worthington with another man and has indicated that he was present when she was murdered, Assistant District Attorney Robert A. Welsh III told a hushed courtroom Tuesday.

These comments are the first indication from police or prosecutors that another person might have been involved in the murder of Worthington, 46, who was found dead of a single stab wound to the chest in her Truro home Jan. 6, 2002, with her young daughter at her side.

http://www2.townonline.com/brewster/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=251379

mysteriew
05-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Assistant District Attorney Robert A. Welsh III, during a court hearing last week, revealed for the first time that McCowen admitted to helping another man beat Worthington, and to being present when she was murdered.

Welsh this week said police did check McCowen's allegations, but would not confirm or deny what a source told The Cape Codder - that the man McCowen implicated had been released after passing a lie detector test.

The source, who spoke only with the assurance of not being named, said police got a warrant to search the Wellfleet home of the alleged accomplice April 17, three days after McCowen was arrested. The source said the young Wellfleet man McCowen named was questioned, but released after he offered to take a lie detector test and passed it.

Welsh said he would not confirm or deny this account. "We've talked to a number of people in this case," he said. "We looked into what McCowen said, but we do not anticipate any further arrests."

McCowen's arrest came a week after the DNA sample he gave police March 18, 2004, was identified at the state crime lab as matching DNA found on Worthington's body.

http://www2.townonline.com/brewster/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=256310

mysteriew
05-28-2005, 05:38 PM
The Cape Cod trash hauler charged with the rape and murder of Christa Worthington told police he had an ongoing affair with the single mother and has tried to pin the crime on his friend, sources said.

``He admitted under interrogation that he was present, but somebody else committed the murder,'' a source said. Christopher McCowen, 33, told police a friend from Wellfleet was with him as he paid a social visit to Worthington's Truro home in January 2002

Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O'Keefe could not be reached this week, but has told the Herald ``There is no evidence whatsoever to suggest there was anybody else involved in the case.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=86796

mysteriew
06-22-2005, 08:11 PM
A trash hauler accused of killing fashion writer Christa Worthington pleaded not guilty Wednesday in a Cape Cod courtroom.

http://www.turnto10.com/news/4638484/detail.html

Genetic evidence that allegedly ties a Cape Cod trash hauler to the murder of fashion writer Christa Worthington is "faulty, unreliable and inaccurate," the suspect's attorney said Wednesday following his client's arraignment.

George rejected that account and said he will seek to suppress any statements his clients made to police because he was under the influence of alcohol and prescription drugs when he was questioned.

"It makes no sense that he would suddenly admit being on the scene when he has cooperated with police all along and said he was not at the scene," George said.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/06/22/defense_attorney_challenges_dna_evidence_in_murder _of_cape_cod_fashion_writer/

William N
07-07-2005, 12:04 PM
I saw a segment on this case on Catherine Crier last night. The suspect may be released on bail. His lawyer claims the suspect had consensual sex with the victim. This is a standard practice now by the defense in cases where DNA is used by the prosecution.

shdbepaintin
10-01-2006, 11:40 AM
The trial of Christopher McCowen, charged with the Jan. 5, 2002 murder and rape of Truro fashion writer Christa Worthington, will open Monday, Oct. 16, with jury selection.

When the trial actually starts, the eyes of the nation will get a chance to see the drama unfold in one of the most beautiful courtrooms in the nation.

Court TV has been given permission by Judge Richard A. Connon, who will preside over the trial, to broadcast it live from the balcony of Barnstable Superior Court, where the press will sit. Press and public will be seated based on who arrives first
http://www2.townonline.com/brewster/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=585660

William N
10-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the update.

William N
10-22-2006, 09:40 PM
This case has gone to trial with testimony starting last Wednesday. it is being covered gavel to gavel on Court TV.

gardenmom
10-22-2006, 11:43 PM
The trial of Christopher McCowen, charged with the Jan. 5, 2002 murder and rape of Truro fashion writer Christa Worthington, will open Monday, Oct. 16, with jury selection.

When the trial actually starts, the eyes of the nation will get a chance to see the drama unfold in one of the most beautiful courtrooms in the nation.

Court TV has been given permission by Judge Richard A. Connon, who will preside over the trial, to broadcast it live from the balcony of Barnstable Superior Court, where the press will sit. Press and public will be seated based on who arrives first
http://www2.townonline.com/brewster/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=585660
One of the most beautiful in the nation? I used to work in the same area of the courthouse and I don't even remember what it looked like. I never saw the inside though.

BillyGoatGruff
10-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Well, the defense is trying to smear everyone possible, including the victim.

What makes (mostly) men think that simply because a woman has a series of lovers without getting married that somehow she'd be willing to screw ANYONE, including the garbage man?

Masterj
10-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Well, the defense is trying to smear everyone possible, including the victim.

What makes (mostly) men think that simply because a woman has a series of lovers without getting married that somehow she'd be willing to screw ANYONE, including the garbage man?
Seriously. The police and the media did this woman and her daughter a huge injustice. They have been portraying her as a whore from day one. And even worse - GASP - A metropolitan whore from NY who brought her unstable lifestyle to their quiet little town. Give me a freaking break.

southcitymom
10-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Seriously. The police and the media did this woman and her daughter a huge injustice. They have been portraying her as a whore from day one. And even worse - GASP - A metropolitan whore from NY who brought her unstable lifestyle to their quiet little town. Give me a freaking break.
Amen, BGG and Masterj....

William N
10-26-2006, 03:29 PM
In a case like this tries to do two things. One, make the jury feel sorry for the defendant. Two, make the jury dislike the victim. Also, the defense attorney tries to make the witnesses look bad.

Right now, Mr. George is working on the defendant's friend whom he had tried to blamr for the murder. The defendant, Christopher McCowen's DNA had been on the victim. First, the defendant denied knowing Christa Worthington. When informed his DNA was there, he changed his story by claiming his friend did the killing while he (McCowen) was having sex with the victim.

Jovin
11-06-2006, 10:31 AM
I had to do a search to find anything on this case. I'm surprised it's not in the trials forum. Are there just not enough interested people watching this live trial on Court TV now? I sure find this case very interesting, and had followed it closely when it first happened.

William N
11-06-2006, 02:36 PM
I have been following it closely. The defense is making it's closing argument. The main argument of the defense is that it was a "forced confession." However, the defendant did NOT confess. He put the blame for the killing on someone else, while admitting that he just happened to have "consensual sex" with the victim while his supposed partner was robbing the house.

T-Rex
11-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Jovin--this case was followed extensively on CrimeNews2000.

Jovin
11-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Jovin--this case was followed extensively on CrimeNews2000.

Thanks, T-Rex...I used to be on that board alot too, but had gotten away from it when changing computers.

William, I WANTED to follow this trial, but it came at a bad time for me with my personal life. Too much going on to be watching it or following the boards. I thought for sure that WS would have had it at the forefront on the trials board though.

ETA: I just arranged at the library today to have the book "Invisible Eden" transferred to my local branch so I can read it.

txsvicki
11-08-2006, 04:14 AM
I have checked out Invisible Eden at my public library and enjoyed the book. I do wonder about the Worthington relatives snubbing Christa because they now deny this behavior. Are there other books about this case? I'm also following the trial on court tv. I hope that Christa was alive long enough to realize that the murderer left without harming Ava.

Jovin
11-08-2006, 09:35 AM
I haven't gotten word that the book has been transferred here yet, but I'm looking forward to reading it. I'm not aware of any other books on this case, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any.

This case is one that I was very interested in when it happened, and I did follow it on CrimeNews2000 boards for quite some time. Due to so much going on in my personal life, I got away from it, and I do wish that I'd been able to keep up with this trial more than I have.

I'm thinking that this might be a hung jury, from what I've been able to see, but you know, if there's any doubt whatsoever as to his guilt, and there DOES seem to be, I think it's best to err on the side of caution here. I sure hope that whoever is responsible, even if it's this man, is found responsible and punished... and SOON!

I hope too, that Christa knew that Ava was going to be unharmed, but what a horrible worry for her to have to be having as she fought for her life....not knowing what would become of her little daughter. I sure hope that she is looking down now and knowing that Ava is well taken care of and with family.
http://i13.tinypic.com/2la93pk.jpg http://i13.tinypic.com/47ak5tv.gif http://i13.tinypic.com/2po4gmp.gif

JBean
11-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Judge Kicks Juror Off Cape Cod Slaying Trial After Her Telephone Calls Are Recorded

BARNSTABLE, Mass. -- A woman was thrown off the jury in the case of a murdered fashion writer Tuesday after she was recorded discussing media coverage of the case and telling her jailed boyfriend that police officers were "dumb."

The development came a day after jurors said they were deadlocked following five days of deliberations on the charges against Christopher McCowen, a garbage collector in the Cape Cod town where writer Christa Worthington was killed. The juror was replaced with an alternate, and the judge ordered the panel to start deliberations over again.

http://orangecounty.cox.net/cci/newsnational/national?_mode=view&_state=maximized&view=article&id=D8LD0APO0&_action=validatearticle

nanandjim
11-14-2006, 03:42 PM
I think now that that juror has been kicked off, a verdict will be reached. I'm thinking that it will be guilty.

luvbeaches
11-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Guilty on all counts.

luvbeaches
11-16-2006, 01:10 PM
What I thought was interesting is how McCowen's attorney looked as if he was so upset. I know this is his job, but did he really think his client was going to get off on this? There was so much evidence against his client. I know he is going to say something about the dismissed juror.

This guy is right where he belongs. How many stories did he tell? And then there he stands crying like a baby. At least justice was served.

I think I heard them say that sentencing is later today (maybe 2:00). He faces lifes in prison...and that's what I hope he gets.

nanandjim
11-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Guilty on all counts.
That's great news. So, I guess that one young girl, whose boyfriend was a criminal, was the lone holdout. :waitasec:

luvbeaches
11-16-2006, 01:13 PM
That's great news. So, I guess that one young girl, whose boyfriend was a criminal, was the lone holdout. :waitasec:

It appears that way. But I don't know if she was a holdout on only one count, or more than one. I wonder if she'll speak to the media.

MrsMush99
11-16-2006, 01:27 PM
What great news!! Finally justice for Christa!

altruist1000
11-16-2006, 02:11 PM
I am so relieved that this jury DID THE RIGHT THING.

Sniffy38
11-16-2006, 02:29 PM
I've been following this trial on CourtTv for many weeks now. I am happy and relieved that this jury had the good sense to convict this piece of garbage. I don't know how defense attorneys sleep at night. I hope we get to hear from the jurors on this one. Theirs was not an easy job and they deserve our appreciation.

luvbeaches
11-16-2006, 02:39 PM
I don't know how defense attorneys sleep at night.

That's the truth.

I'm all for due process, but these guys will just do anything to get their clients off. It doesn't matter if they are guilty or not...if the attorney can find some technicality, they will use it to their advantage. I wonder how they would feel if it were their loved one who was raped and murdered? I would imagine Daniel Horowitz has a different outlook on this now that his wife was killed....but maybe not.

I still think of that scumbag attorney for Molesterfield, who was brokering a deal for a plea, knowing full well his client was GUILTY, and then they found Danielle, and the deal was off. Then he went on to smear her mom and dad, knowing his client was guilty.

William N
11-16-2006, 04:04 PM
The evidence against this defendant was much stronger than it was against Scott Peterson, for example.

scandi
11-16-2006, 04:39 PM
McGowen's attorney said there was reasonable doubt in this case, and since he didn't elaborate on this, does anyone know what he was talking about?

I know similarity of language might have been a factor in the statements McGowen gave the police and how they were interpreted. What about the knife. Was there any DNA evidence from McGowan on it, or from anyone else?

Scandi

Details
11-16-2006, 04:59 PM
From what I read, the defense's position was twofold (and contradictory) - first, that the police only looked at him because they didn't think any rich white woman would want to have sex with a poor black man; second, they had consentual sex, then he beat her up a little, put the boot in (I guess kicked her?), but his buddy is the one who actually killed her.

OK - consentual sex, but he beat her up? Yeah, that wouldn't take a jury long to see through. Thank goodness they got rid of that stupid criminal lover juror.

Peter Hamilton
11-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Justice was served---finding his DNA on her is pretty strong evidence--Thank God for DNA--Now its time for him to rot in a claustrophobic cell for the rest of his worthless life

scandi
11-16-2006, 08:06 PM
I've had CC on this afternoon, and if there was anything off-kilt with the releasiong of this juror, it could spell for a motion for a new trial.

Evidently after 3 weeks the jury was weary and this one juror was holding them up. Somehow she was able to call directly to her BF in jail - not a collect call by him to her, but a set up call where she got him directly on the phone - which is highly unusual. If there was something underway to give cause to get this juror out of there - set her up for a fall, it will not sit well with the judge so they are saying.

And listening to the DA, I can't believe there were fluids leaked out of her body that were preserved but not tested. He gave some lame excuse like all we cared about were those fluids still in her body. Forensic tests could show someone else was involved in this crime, and evidently the jury found him to have committed this crime alone.

Something smells fishy to me. The guy was supposedly boinking her regularly. I know they tried to make her look bad, but if it is the truth what is wrong with that, except Cape Cod misgivings?

Scandi

Details
11-16-2006, 08:35 PM
The prosecutor said that even if he committed this crime with someone else, they'd both be guilty of the murder, so the extra fluids don't really matter. Not that I believe this guy about anything being consentual, but if he and a buddy go over, rape her, beat her up, then either one does the finishing blow, I'd say they're both guilty of murder.

Just sounds like standard defense posturing - oh, there's some fluids that weren't tested, that came from the area they did test - maybe they're different. There's no reason to think so - if a jug of milk spills half on the floor, and the milk in the jug tests out as being from Cow A - I think it's fair to say that the milk outside the jug is also from Cow A.

The released juror seems to have a real bias - if they set her up to admit it, or if they merely caught her at it - either way, she had no place on a jury.

Masterj
11-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Something smells fishy to me. The guy was supposedly boinking her regularly. I know they tried to make her look bad, but if it is the truth what is wrong with that, except Cape Cod misgivings?

Scandi
I didn't think it had been proven they had a sexual relationship. I thought that was just his claim. I could be wrong though.

"boinking her regularly" - that wording is bothering me for some reason. It almost seems crass to me and a little disrespectful of the victim. Or maybe its just blunt. I am not quite sure. Though I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

Details
11-16-2006, 10:15 PM
I didn't think it had been proven they had a sexual relationship. I thought that was just his claim. I could be wrong though.

"boinking her regularly" - that wording is bothering me for some reason. It almost seems crass to me and a little disrespectful of the victim. Or maybe its just blunt. I am not quite sure. Though I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.Yeah, that seemed just a defense attorney attempt to slime the victim, as always. See if he can find a puritan on the jury or some such.

Whatever word is used, even had they had a sexual relationship, he admits beating her, and being there while she was killed - and I've no doubt that's just a defense created story to explain all the evidence that points straight at him as the murderer.

scandi
11-16-2006, 10:18 PM
No Masterj, I didn't mean anything disrespectful towards her, and it might have been too blunt. I was thinkiing about him doing this to her having brought another man with him which would be insensitive, then doing it on the kitchen floor and kicking her. So it was with disrespect to him I was thinking. If they had a relationship ongoing it certainly would not have been like this as she never would have stood for it.

I'm now rethinking the claim that they had a sexual relationship at all as it doesn't add up, especially if it wasn't a proven fact. Sometimes men will be mean to women in front of other men to show their power. I'm trying to reationalize his saying they had this relationship going on and then admitting he beat and kicked her and watched someone else kill her.

His attorney said he has a low IQ. If she did let him in to her house, he probably gave her the illusion he was slow talking and gentle, and then it was too late when he got rough and in came his friend. Awful. And after reading Details post, I think he's just where he belongs.

Scandi

chicoliving
01-04-2008, 02:29 AM
~snip~

Now, more than a year after the defendant, a black garbage man, was convicted of stabbing to death a white fashion writer on Cape Cod, the judge has taken the highly unusual step of summoning the entire jury back to court next week to testify publicly about whether racism infected the deliberations.

Depending on what he finds out, the judge could order a new trial.

http://cbs13.com/national/fashion.writer.murder.2.622964.html

Bobbisangel
01-04-2008, 06:38 AM
~snip~

Now, more than a year after the defendant, a black garbage man, was convicted of stabbing to death a white fashion writer on Cape Cod, the judge has taken the highly unusual step of summoning the entire jury back to court next week to testify publicly about whether racism infected the deliberations.

Depending on what he finds out, the judge could order a new trial.

http://cbs13.com/national/fashion.writer.murder.2.622964.html

I don't have an opinion one way or the other but does the judge really think that anyone on the jury is going to admit it if they were prejudice?

joe jones
04-04-2008, 05:58 PM
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/local/Boston/Boston_Globe/SIG=13027ratj/**http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boston.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Fbre aking_news%2F2008%2F04%2Fjudge_rejects_n.html

appeal denied

Jean
06-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Inmate stabs Truro killer (Boston Herald 6/10/08)

Christopher McCowen, the trash hauler convicted of murdering fashion writer Christa Worthington, was hospitalized yesterday after being stabbed in prison, a Department of Correction source said.
The source called the stabbing at MCI-Cedar Junction “serious,” and said McCowen was stabbed by a fellow inmate - a 58-year-old white male who wielded a 7-inch metal shank.

Department of Correction spokeswoman Susan Martin would not identify the victim or the perpetrator. She would only say that an inmate was stabbed by another inmate with a “makeshift weapon” at about 2 p.m. Sunday in a housing unit.

More at link http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view/2008_06_10_Source:_Inmate_stabs_Truro_killer/srvc=home&position=1

trixie
06-10-2008, 08:04 PM
wHOO HOO! :Banane10:It's about time! Now maybe someone else will have the guts to finish the job when he goes back.