PDA

View Full Version : CA CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996

Litlstar04
01-05-2004, 01:00 PM
08-12-2003 08:45 PM

DoyleModerator

http://www.findkristinsmart.org/ QuickQuote

Up2theminuteRed White & Blonde

Missing Persons Cold Case Network file: Kristin Denise SmartVital Statistics at Time of Disappearance Missing Since: May 25, 1996 from San Luis Obispo, California Classification: Endangered Missing Date Of Birth: February 20, 1977 Age: 19 years old Height and Weight: 6'1; 145 pounds Distinguishing Characteristics: Dark blonde hair, brown eyes. Smart's nicknames are "Roxy" and "Scritter." She had a tan at the time of her May 1996 disappearance. Details of Disappearancehttp://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/ksmart.html

jatContender

Does anyone know why www.sonofsusan.com has been disabled? Will it be activated again?Thanks!jat

Jat, I don't know. I wasn't even aware of it until after you mentioned it and I clicked on the link. I checked the Smart family website and there's no mention about it. In fact they still mention the sonofsusan website and provide a link. Maybe it's just a technical problem.

I just checked again now and www.sonofsusan.com is back up there. Must have been a technical problem. I thought maybe Paul Flores gave in and cooperated, as the message always says the website will be taken down once he does. Oh well, wishful thinking.

Litlstar04Bronze

I checked it out today, and it looks like we have a civil trial coming up for PF! Should be interesting to see all of the evidence against him presented in a court of law.

jatContender

Wow! That is pretty interesting. Thanks for the info.

Oh my God, this is absolutely great news! I'll have to talk more about this later!

Litlstar04Bronze

I just checked the son of susan site today, and Dennis goes into great detail about the case through an email that Kristin's mom sent him. It sounds promising, but I'm still not ready to get my hopes up that this civil trial will bring resolution for the Smart family. Unbelievably, the Sheriff's department is refusing to give the Smart's lawyer what info they have! They're even fighting the subpoena. Now, why would they do this? So, if the lawyers don't have new info. when they go in front of a judge in November, the judge can throw out the case, allowing Paul to walk away from this once again. I'm going to try to see if there's some victim's organization or something that helps families out in times like this. It's so frustrating!

Oh that is crap. What is wrong with them?! I really feel it's because they had/have info that they know to others would look like they blatantly neglected to follow up on and they're worried that the family may sue them too. Oh well, too bad. The family has every right to do what they have to do in order to find some sort of resolution with this case. It's been over seven years now. Just because the lines between the role of campus police and city police were blurry back then shouldn't mean that there is no way to legally work things out now.
*My opinions and examination of case info based on news, media, and other knowledgeable sources.*Just Put the fork down.... Last edited by Up2theminute on 09-25-2003 at 01:44 AM

Litlstar04Bronze

Still waiting for news on the police department fighting the subpoena. In the meantime, for the sake of speculation, let's pretend that LE has to hand their reports over. Has anyone heard of a situation where there's a civil trial before the criminal trial? Do you think a criminal trial is a possibility after the civil trial in this case?

rachelContender

Lil'star: yes, from what i understood from reading the sonofsusan website, a criminal and civil lawsuit can be totally unrelated. There can be a civil trial, and then a criminal trial....I hope that DM and the smarts get that little creep!Did you read on the website that "kristin isn't considered a victim because there isn't a body!" unbelievable!

Litlstar04Bronze

http://www.sonofsusan.com/NewsGood.html

That's great news, looking forward to hearing the updates and everything on it soon. I can't wait till we can "know" everything!

Litlstar04Bronze

quote: While invoking the Fifth Amendment can't be held against a person in criminal court, it can be used in civil court. from http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/7391.htmI found this in an article about Etan Patz, but I thought it was also relevant to Kristin's case. They're so going to get PF

Litlstar04
01-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Dennis Mahon's website has been updated with new information:
http://www.sonofsusan.com/Decenber30th2003.html

Also, these pages were linked to, which I'd never read before, so I thought I'd post them in case they become hidden again. But, there's some really interesting information I'd never heard before that I'd like to discuss if anyone gets a chance.
http://www.sonofsusan.com/BigStory.html
http://www.sonofsusan.com/SearchParty.html

Happy New Year, everyone, and let's hope this year brings closure to the families of all of the missing!

Juliana
01-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Oh my gosh! Kristen has been on my mind so much the last few days. I couldn't find her thread on WS and couldn't remember the name of Dennis's website. I finally found it yesterday but did not see the pages you posted.

It seems that everything leads back to Paul Flores (big surprise) and now this Jeremy guy. Maybe something will come of this new information.

I can't imagine the hell that the Smarts and other families must be going through, not knowing where their loved ones are...

Litlstar04
01-09-2004, 04:38 PM
http://www.sonofsusan.com/Union76Station.html

I really hope that this means that people are finally starting to talk and bring the Smarts the answers that they have been searching all of these long years for.

Litlstar04
01-16-2004, 05:01 PM
An update on why Susan Flores' backyard has never been dug up to look for Kristin:
http://www.sonofsusan.com/Shawn.html

WasBlind
02-14-2004, 07:20 AM
For Kristin, and for her family who love and miss her, so much.

Praying for answers and justice, Lanie

Up2theminute
02-17-2004, 02:07 AM
Litlstar, I hadn't read that article before..thank you for posting it. I knew there were some sort of search that went on there but I wasn't sure how extensive it was..I did know that the concrete slab was never investigated.
I still think there is something to do concrete slab. I don't care whether or not the bloodhounds didn't come across anything. It could have just been too long afterwards. I don't know.

Wasblind/Lanie, Thanks for giving this thread a bump. I think Kristin's birthday is coming up soon this month too.

(By the way..Happy Belated Birthday, Litlstar! :HappyBday Sorry I missed out saying that on your actual b-day! :D )

Litlstar04
02-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Paul Flores is a creep!
http://www.sonofsusan.com/PeepintTomPoliceReports.html

(Thank you for the birthday wish, Up2! :blushing: )

Litlstar04
03-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Anyone know someone in Amsterdam?
http://www.sonofsusan.com/Holland.html

Up2theminute
03-13-2004, 12:49 PM
I guess we should be shocked he hasn't left sooner. I hope they still try to keep tabs on him if he does go over there. I'm getting an Ira Einhorn feeling about this. :behindbar

WasBlind
03-14-2004, 02:47 AM
Anyone know someone in Amsterdam?
http://www.sonofsusan.com/Holland.html

According to the link you posted, DM writes "I have already spoken with contacts who have their own contacts in Holland and the ball is already rolling."

From what little I do know of DM, he's covered all his bases.

Bless you all for caring about Kristin and all the missing and those left behind to search for them.
With love and hope, Lanie
Help For The Missing
MissingProfiles@yahoo.com

Up2theminute
04-18-2004, 01:52 AM
Litlstar, What is your opinion of Rex Krebs as a suspect?
This is a good article. Hope to see you over yonder if you have time.

Posted on Sat, Apr. 17, 2004

Remembering victims, not crimes

Annual weeklong event honors lives lost, affected by sexual assault

Laurie Phillips

The Tribune

CAL POLY - On Friday, the Jennifer Street Bridge became the place to remember Rachel Newhouse -- as she was before she crossed it.

Many local people know the story of the Cal Poly student's attack and abduction from the bridge more than five years ago. Rex Krebs, convicted for the crimes, took her to his Avila Valley property, where she was raped and asphyxiated.

But Cal Poly students pointed out that most people don't know enough about the life Krebs took and the lives of countless sexual assault victims.

San Luis Obispo Tribune (http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/news/8455277.htm)

findcarrie
08-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Just curious. Has anybody seen or heard the findings of the last search that happened for Ms. Smart back in late July? I havent talked to Dennis Mahon lately and I wondered if anybody on here has a news article or something?

Ms. Denise Smart is a very kind lady. She's fought so hard to find Kristin since she disappeared. My thoughts and prayers are with the Smarts.

findcarrie
08-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Dennis Mahon told me last night that the current search for Kristin Smart has been going slow. He said that they are having problems with smog in that area which hender the abilities of the cadaver dogs. I dont think the current search has been halted, just on a day and then off again.

Also they are saying that the billboard that was put up is what brought in the anomyous tip. This is a good thing to hear. These things do help.

www.sonofsusan.com

Thinking of Kristin Smart and those searching for her.

WithoutATrace
08-19-2004, 09:08 AM
I was curious if anybody ever looked into the disappearance(s) of Rachel Newhouse and Aundria Crawford and if that man (I forgot his name, Rex Crebbs maybe?) who is in jail now could have possibly been involved with Kristin Smart's disappearance? A&E did a show on this on Tuesday night and I noticed the area was the same. The police on the show said they did not know but it was possible he was responsible for more?

WasBlind
08-19-2004, 09:26 AM
If you go to Kristin's site (the one maintained by her unpaid PI) www.sonofsusan.com you will see there is no need to investigate any other persons other than Paul Flores and his family, who have helped conceal Kristin since that fateful day.

Maybe you can sign the petition to dig up the family yard.

Praying for answers and justice. Much love to the Smart's, Lanie
* waving to the EB man *

WithoutATrace
08-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Thanks for your post WithoutATrace

If you go to Kristin's site (the one maintained by her unpaid PI) www.sonofsusan.com (http://www.sonofsusan.com/) you will see there is no need to investigate any other persons other than Paul Flores and his family, who have helped conceal Kristin since that fateful day.

Maybe you can sign the petition to dig up the family yard.

Praying for answers and justice. Much love to the Smart's, Lanie
* waving to the EB man *
I've always agreed with Dennis' theory on Flores. I guess the reason I asked about Newhouse's abductor was because somewhere on Laci Peterson's thread they had stated that Scott Peterson was even looked at for possible connections to Kristin Smart (which I think is crazy). I figured that the Flores group would be allover that new thought and trying to get people to look into it to take the suspicion off them. Thanks for writing back.

WasBlind
08-20-2004, 06:22 AM
Yes, I saw that. I posted, post # 57 I believe.

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11452

With love and HOPE, Lanie
Help For The Missing
HelpForTheMissing@yahoo.com

fourboys
05-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Search continues for Kristin Smart

By: Adrienne Moore
May 25 2005

For the last nine years, Kristin Smart's family says they've been living a nightmare. While the missing Cal Poly freshman's case is still active with the sheriff's department, her parents say it's more important than ever to keep her story in the community spotlight.

On May 25, 1996, 19-year old Kristin Smart disappeared, and the search for answers continues. Smart was last seen walking to her Cal Poly dorm after a party with Paul Flores, the man currently considered a person of interest in the case.

"We have not lost hope that the case will be solved," says Captain Gary Hoving, of the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Department. "So long as new and additional information comes in, we will continue to work on the case."

Smart family friend Dennis Mahon says finding Kristin is his life's goal. The North Carolina native has created a website for the Smart's daughter and continues to post signs around town, in an effort to keep Kristin's story fresh in the public's mind.

"About a month ago, Gerald Shea, the district attorney, personally drove five hours north to meet with the Smart's, and we're encouraged by that," says Mahon.

Currently, the Smart case is active, with one full-time sheriff's detective sifting through leads. About six months ago, a dive team scored a private ranch in San Luis Obispo County, after receiving a credible tip that Smart's body was at the bottom of the lake.

"The location was plausible, so we assembled a dive team and we searched the entire bottom of that lake, and we did not find any evidence in the case," says Hoving.

In a prepared statement, Kristin's mother, Denise Smart, tells Action News:

"We have had to face something even worse than losing a child; it's coming to terms with the fact that our Kristin is not actually lost! There is someone who knows where she is...This was a girl who believed in tomorrow. We can do nothing less for her. We must also believe in tomorrow, meet the challenge, and do whatever it takes to bring her home. She would have done nothing less for us."

The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Department says they receive dozens of tips nearly every week in the Smart case, and are currently pursuing what they believe is a strong lead at the moment. If you have any information that can help detectives, you're asked to call the sheriff's department immediately.

http://www.ksby.com/home/headlines/1597172.html (http://www.ksby.com/home/headlines/1597172.html)

fourboys
05-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Posted May 21, 2006

http://www.santamariatimes.com/articles/2006/05/21/news/featurednews/news01.txt

2sisters
05-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Please remember the Smart family and Kristin tomorrow on the 10th anniversary of her dissappearance.

chicoliving
05-25-2006, 04:51 AM
Missing teen's family continues hunt for answers

It was 10 years ago today that Kristin Smart, an athletic, tall and vibrant 19-year-old woman from Stockton vanished from a college campus in San Luis Obispo.

Her disappearance touched off a nationwide story, and hundreds traveled to help find her. Even more have posted their own theories on Web sites speculating what happened after she left a drunken party at California Polytechnic State University.

Still, no arrests have been made, and she has never been found.

much more at link
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060525/NEWS01/605250335/1001

englishleigh
05-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Was this the girl whom there was some question during the Laci case that SP might have known her/had something to do with her disappearance, but it was ruled out?

Prayers for her, her family, and for all the missing.

Rle7
01-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Ten and a half years after she vanished from the Cal Poly campus, the Kristin Smart case is back in a San Luis Obispo County courtroom.

Still to this day, no one has ever been charged with Kristin's death. And almost a decade after her disappearance, San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's detectives insist her case remains active and open.

Today, attorneys representing the Smart family, the County and Paul Flores went before a county judge. The Smart family's attorney is seeking the case file from the Sheriff's Department for a civil case the family has filed against Paul Flores.

The former Cal Poly student is the last person seen with Kristin and considered a "person of interest" by authorities. The Sheriff's Department does not want to release the information, saying it would jeopardize their investigation.

http://www.ksby.com/news/headlines/5125796.html

Bobbisangel
02-12-2007, 06:52 AM
I wonder if the judge made that ruling yet? When I filed a civil suit against the city of Anacortes, Washington my attorney was able to get all of the files on the murder of my daughter even though the killer was still on the run. I don't believe that he had any problems getting the files. We knew who the killer was and there was a warrent out for him and he had been charged but he sure hadn't been taken to trial yet. It seems it should be easier to get the files if no suspect has been named yet. I don't know but that is how it seems to me. I guess it just depends on the police department and if they want to hand over the files or not.

I'm wondering how easy it would be to win a civil suit if the person they are going after...Flores...hasn't been charged with murder?

It is unbelievable that Kristen has never been found. It seems that someone should have stumbled upon on her at some point unless he took her way out in a rural area and buried her so deep that she wouldn't ever be found. Are there rural areas around there where that might be possible?

My heart goes out to Kristen's family. I can't even begin to imagine what they have been living through after all of these years. A person couldn't possibly go on with their life not knowing what happened to their daughter. What a nightmare.

meggilyweggily
02-12-2007, 07:56 AM
It is unbelievable that Kristen has never been found. It seems that someone should have stumbled upon on her at some point unless he took her way out in a rural area and buried her so deep that she wouldn't ever be found. Are there rural areas around there where that might be possible? It's not that incredible. If she was put in a Dumpster and taken away with the rest of the trash, her body would be in a landfill and would never be found unless someone was actively looking for it -- and maybe not even then.

If you look at Doe or at the Charley Project you'll find loads of cases of obviously dead missing people whose bodies never turned up and never will.

mistivon
02-17-2007, 08:40 PM
The San Luis Obispo Sheriff's department received a tip to what might be the missing remains of vanished Cal Poly student Kristin Smart.
Officials say the tip indicated that bones were found in a Cal Poly water tank, possibly related to the Smart case.
Detectives checked out the tank Friday but did not find any human remains.
Smart went missing nearly 11 years ago.
The 19-year-old was last seen walking home from a party

http://www.keyt.com/news/local/5915746.html

mrsjonnob
02-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Wow, it would be nice for them to finally find her remains...

I recall Scott Peterson being mentioned because he was in San Luis Obispo at the time- did LE ever rule him out?

EdinburghLass
02-18-2007, 05:39 PM
I am pretty sure that he was ruled out or discounted awhile ago. If you goto www.sonofsusan.com (http://www.sonofsusan.com), you can read all about the case and the main suspect Paul Flores.

This is from the above website - more at the link

Scott Peterson and Paul Flores
http://www.sonofsusan.com/1x1.gif

So many people ask me if there is any chance that Scott may be involved in Kristin's disappearance. I have decided that now is a good time to let you know what I know and leave it up to you to make up your own mind.

First, regardless of whether or not Scott is involved, one thing is for sure...Paul Flores is definitely involved in the respect that at the very least he knows more than he is saying and he and his family are refusing to cooperate with investigators. This is not a case of either/or. It is more a matter if Paul had any help and if so, was Scott Peterson one of those who helped.

The common thread here is Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. All of the main players went to college there at the same time. That includes Kristin, Paul, Laci, Scott as well as Ermelinda Flores (Paul's sister) and Brett MAcArthur - the man Ermelinda eventually married.

I am not positive that Ermelinda and Brett attended Cal Poly at the same time - but I was told that they were also students.

After Kristin vanished, investigators covered the campus with a massive interview sweep which included, as I understand it, about 600 letters to students who were living on campus asking if anyone knew anything about Kristin's case.

Scott Peterson was mailed one of those letters but he never responded. That isn't saying all that much though because as it was told to me - a lot of students didn't respond.

When the bright light of justice began to seriously bore in on Scott, this naturally brought much needed attention to Kristin. San Luis Obispo Sheriff's department did look into the possibility and even called the Smarts wondering if Kristin had ever mentioned Scott.

Then, rather quickly, San Luis Obispo Sheriff's department made a statement saying that there was no connection to Scott having anything to do with Kristin's case.

chicoliving
05-23-2007, 03:46 PM
I was surprised that we didn't have a thread specifically for Kristen.

Kristin Smart's Family Hopes for Break in Case

Nearly 11 years to the day after the disappearance and murder of their daughter, the Smart family of Stockton is hopeful a break in the case is coming.

Kristin Smart was a freshman at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo when she disappeared while walking home from a party. The young man who was with her was never charged or called a suspect. Paul Flores is, however, described by investigators as a "person of interest."

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=28148

JDB
05-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Try this one
[url]http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3720&highlight=Kristin+Smart:

chicoliving
05-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks JDB!

Salem
05-24-2007, 02:52 AM
I sooo remember this case. I graduated from Cal Poly in 1996, the year Kristin went missing. I did not know her as our areas of study were very different and she was younger than me.

I can't help but chuckle with glee at this latest turn of events! That the Smart family gets to dig up the Flores' yards, because the Flores' are suing them, is just too good to be true.

And Mrs. Flores suing for emotional distress...... what is that about!?! It's Kristin's mom and dad (and other family members) that should be suing for emotional distress! Mrs. Flores' child has not disappeared at the hands of another! And to Mrs. Flores - I would like to say that you are the worst type of parent - the kind that does not teach her child to take responsibility for his/her actions. Look at him now, in jail AGAIN, for the 3rd time for DUI. Will you tell him it is not his fault when he causes an accident and hurts someone else? Will you buy him "justice" again, then?

Okay - sorry everyone. I'm ranting I know, but this case is very frustrating and very close to home.

JinxieJada
03-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Bump -

I found Kristin Smart and thought she looked alot like the Maricopa Jane Doe. However there's too big of a discrepancy in height. However, I do think Kristin can be found, simply because how many women are 6'1". has anyone ran her stats against UID"s lately?

Does anyone know if her DNA has been entered into CODIS.

Thanks in advance!

CaliKid
10-28-2008, 02:39 PM
http://www.sonofsusan.com/

Susan Flores' yard did not contain any evidence of Kristin Smart's body. The search continues.

Hucklepie
11-11-2008, 12:06 PM
http://www.sonofsusan.com/

Susan Flores' yard did not contain any evidence of Kristin Smart's body. The search continues.
Wow. That actually surprises me a lot - I've followed this case since 1997, and I've always figured she was buried underneath the freshly poured concrete in the Flores' yard. I don't doubt for a second that Paul Flores is responsible for her death. I hope it haunts him.

kemo
11-11-2008, 02:45 PM
I lived in the area at the time and followed this closely. It is a troubling case on many levels. Certainly, anytime a "nice" girl goes off to college and then falls prey to a campus predator, every parent feels a little fear for their own children. That fear is compounded when the crime goes unsolved. What is unique about this situation is that the victim's parents have waged what I would characterize as a campaign of harassment against the "prime suspect". Now I agree with most readers here that the "prime suspect" is "probably" guilty but clearly not "beyond all reasonable doubt". He was not prosecuted because they were insufficient admissible evidence. Cadaver dogs are not admissible for good reason. He made some inconsistent statements and he was the last person known to be with her but there is no forensic evidence and, of course, no body. There is no strong explanation for how the body was disposed of. The "prime suspect" had no known access to a vehicle and, if the body was placed in a dumpster, why did the extensive search of the landfill turn up nothing? Obviously this "negative" proves nothing but it does raise some reasonable doubt.

The parents of the victim put a billboard in the "prime suspects" home town that pretty much names him as the perp. They have also kept track of his movements and have made employers and landlords aware of their suspicions. The "prime suspect’s" life has been on a downward spiral ever since; spotty work history and multiple DUI's. This could be a result of the harassment or perhaps just the same character flaws that lead him to kill. His parents, particularly his mother, have suffered terribly through this and there is ZERO evidence that they had any role in any crime or cover-up. True, unlike the victim's parents, their child is still alive.

As a parent I sympathize with the victim's parents but I feel that they are out of line. In this particular case, I don't feel this board has played any active role in the harassment of the suspect but there are other cases where this board has been used for that purpose. Punishing someone because they "might" have commited a crime (whether it is incarceration or just this type of torment) is contrary to the western spirit of justice. That an innocent might have been punished is truley worse than the posibility that a guilty person escapes punishment.

LillyRush
11-11-2008, 05:50 PM
I agree that some lines, between victim's family and possible perp, have been crossed here. But, I thought it was primarily Dennis Mahon-the guy from NC who created the "sonofsusan" website who has actually caused the most problems not Kristin's family? I could be wrong. I was unaware that they created a billboard in his hometown. How were they able to get that approved? I do remember something about the Flores family getting a restraining order and other charges (defamation of character, maybe) against Dennis Mahon.

audrey77
11-12-2008, 12:36 AM
I agree. I'm pretty sure it's Dennis Mahon and NOT her parents that do all of that... read his site. He's gotten himself into a lot of trouble in the past.

LillyRush
11-12-2008, 02:06 AM
Interesting video from 2005. Dennis Mahon (who is a victim's advocate, not a relative of the Smart family) speaks for the first 3 or 4 mins and then Susan Flores speaks for the last couple of mins.

Dennis Mahon/Susan Flores at Arroyo Grande City Council Meeting-April 2005
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8786342881032318077&q=Dennis+MAhon

*I personally never understood why the focus was only on his parent's house or the dorm room. I realize they needed to start somewhere, he was a college student with no car and no other place of residence at that time other than the parent's house. But, after 12 years, the campus police and city police should have been able to brainstorm some other scenarios/theories.

kemo
11-12-2008, 02:54 AM
I assumed that Mahon was working with the Smart family; I may have been wrong. I'm pretty sure that the family put up the billboard but that was back in the late 1990's.

Apparently Susan Flores' yard was undergoing some work at the time of the disappearance and some cement was poured a few days later. This was the basis of the search warrant to dig up the yard. The mother aggressively fought the warrant. The obvious implication of this is that if the body was buried in the yard, the Mother must know about it and was actively involved in covering up the crime.

From the earliest days of the investigation, there was a certain cloud of suspicion hanging over Susan. The local press seemed to cast her in a negative light and there was rumor and speculation that Paul called her after he killed Kristin and she helped him dispose of the body. (There is no evidence that this is the case.) The family seemed to "circle the wagon" and Susan professed that Paul was innocent and was somewhat abrasive and hostile to the media (in contrast to the Smart family) Mahon's justification for the harassment of Susan was that it was to pressure her to consent to the "dig" in her yard and otherwise cooperate with the investigation. He clearly believes she knew something. The harassment probably had something to do with Susan’s decision to consent to the "dig" that tends to vindicate her.

Overall, I think a certain amount of animosity towards Susan is based on the assumption that when a child commits a serious crime, the mother is somehow at fault. While understandable, this is obviously an unfair and cruel judgment.

LillyRush
11-13-2008, 06:58 PM
I didn't mean that Dennis Mahon had nothing to do with the family. Just that most of what Susan Flores considered harassing seems to have been done by him. Also, I'm not saying you're wrong about the billboard. I know that there are billboards of missing people, but a billboard that was defaming a specific person seems like it wouldn't even be legal. Unless you mean they put up a general "help find Kristen Smart" billboard in his town, which really shouldn't bother anyone.

I agree that the efforts should not just be focused on his family or his mother's house, like I said. I really think someone who was right there in that same dorm helped him, not his family. It would have stood out as too strange if someone's parents just showed up randomly in the middle of a weekend night on a college campus.

edited to add-the reason why they jumped right to the family is because they were given the general impression that Paul Flores had no friends and was considered weird. Based on that, they assumed that he would have not been able to get anyone in his immediate environment to help him. But, seriously, I find it hard to believe that there was not a single other student who was kind of in the same boat as him as far as not being popular and may have had no problem helping him out. Also, who knows how subjective the opinions on his level of popularity or weirdness were.

kemo
11-14-2008, 04:34 AM
Arroyo Grande is Paul Flores' home town; it is about 25 miles from Cal Poly. The billboard was in Arroyo Grande, not San Luis Obispo where the disappearance occurred. It was your general missing person message but it named Paul as the last person she was know to have been with. There was absolutely no reason to put the billboard there except that it was Paul's home town.

Paul lived in a campus Dorm although he was close to home. This proximity is significant because he could have called a friend from Arroyo Grande (or a family member). From what I have read, he was considered a little "odd" by others of campus but he played basketball regularly and he got himself invited to at lease one off campus party so he wasn't a total outcast. The police concluded that nobody on campus was close enough to him to commit a felony. They were less certain about Arroyo Grande friends but I got the impression that there was no particular suspect. I'm sure many friends and family members were questioned. No names surfaced.

Salem
11-14-2008, 03:44 PM
I don't know about the billboard in AG, but there was a billboard at the bottom of the grade on Highway 101, going north, just outside the northern limits of San Luis Obispo.

Also, IIRC, Paul managed to disappear for about 4 hours the morning of Kristen's disappearance and was late for basketball practice that day. When he showed up, he had fresh lacerations on his face. This was part of why he became a POI.

Salem

audrey77
11-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Plus the dogs that hit on his dorm room...

Salem
11-15-2008, 01:22 AM
Right Audrey - I have forgotten about the dog. It was the first time I had ever heard of cadaver dogs.

Salem

jat
11-15-2008, 04:53 AM
[COLOR=black]Overall, I think a certain amount of animosity towards Susan is based on the assumption that when a child commits a serious crime, the mother is somehow at fault. While understandable, this is obviously an unfair and cruel judgment.

Can someone please go over to the Caylee Anthony thread and repeat this???

LillyRush
11-15-2008, 03:42 PM
I don't know about the billboard in AG, but there was a billboard at the bottom of the grade on Highway 101, going north, just outside the northern limits of San Luis Obispo.

Also, IIRC, Paul managed to disappear for about 4 hours the morning of Kristen's disappearance and was late for basketball practice that day. When he showed up, he had fresh lacerations on his face. This was part of why he became a POI.

Salem

He also practically had the whole weekend to take care of whatever because it was the last weekend before summer break and many people had already gone home. Several of Kristin's own friends/acqaintances figured she had already left when they didn't see her anymore that weekend. It wasn't until her parents realized something was wrong because she was expected to be returning home. Even then I think it was Monday or Tuesday before the campus police really got involved.

LillyRush
11-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Plus the dogs that hit on his dorm room...

Yep, and that's just counting the campus-owned furniture that was left in the room after he moved out of it. Who knows what else they could have found if they had started investigating things before letting him move out and leave the campus.

CanManEh
04-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Any Updates in this case at all since this last post.??

CanManEh
04-13-2009, 04:30 PM
wow this is kinda freaky i posted at about 3 30 and asked if there was any updates and was watching tv at the same time and at 4 oclock american justice comes on i watch it alot and today its on rex Krebs kinda freaky ..

mayqueen
05-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Kristin Denise Smart went missing 15 years ago today.

Her case really grabbed hold of me, because (A) Kristin and I are the same age (born in '77), (B) I was living in San Luis Obispo at the time ('95 - '05), and (C) she disappeared just 2 days before my 19th birthday. I never, NEVER thought she would go 15 years without justice.

I did not know her personally - we didn't even go to the same college (I was attending community college while she was at the state college) - but I was very interested in her case from the start, and she's never been far from my mind these last 15 years. Until I moved out of the area, I would think about her every time I went hiking - I would wonder, could she be close by and we just don't know it?

Like many others, I believe PF was involved in her disappearance/death. (To clarify, I did not know him personally either. I had just moved to town a year before and didn't know many people yet.)

Where is Kristin?? I hope and pray she will be eventually be found, so that her family can lay her to rest. And that those responsible for her death are someday brought to justice.

Thinking of Kristin and her family today...

Knox
05-26-2011, 08:16 PM
This was on my local news the other morning ... Happy to hear that Parkinson is going to look at the case again.

"Because technology has changed in the area of DNA, we're going to look to submitting anything we possibly have in the case evidence wise that would help us prove and solve the case," said Sheriff Parkinson.

http://www.kcoy.com/story/14710020/the-disappearance-of-kristin-smart-15-years-later?clienttype=printable

KSBY also ran a story ...

"I would always take a phone call from Denise or the family if they had any concerns or questions. I understand they're frustrated, I would be equally frustrated not having this case solved after all these years," said Sheriff Ian Parkinson.

He said leads trickle in. They have one investigator working on the case, and he did meet with the Smarts in February. She said that meeting was at her request.

He said he hasn't followed up with her since then, because he's been formulating a new plan for the case, and didn't have any new information. But he hopes this new plan will change that.
"It's a complete re-examination of every physical piece of evidence we've collected in this case," said Sheriff Parkinson.

He hopes new DNA technology will produce new leads.
http://www.ksby.com/news/kristin-smart-s-family-s-search-for-answers-continues/

Knox
05-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Mahon sent Parkinson a letter, dated March 5, 2011, in which he shared multiple emails (http://www.kristinsmart.com/sheriff.html) claiming information about Paul Flores’ involvement in the case. Mahon goes on to trace the anonymous emails to Sonoma State University and believes that university officials there can identify the sender of the emails, a potentially major break in the case.

“The lead came in . . .2,837 days ago,” Mahon wrote to Parkinson. “I know that the cops of ‘Law and Order’ could have the lead checked out in under an hour. But in the real world, I can’t see why it would take a single work week—five days tops—to check this lead out, let alone 2,837 days.

“I don’t care how many different ways the Sheriff’s office tries to spin it—there is no way to justify allowing dust to collect on this lead.”
http://calcoastnews.com/2011/05/kristin-smart-still-missing-15-years-later/Hard to believe a tip like that was not followed up on

mayqueen
05-28-2011, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the links Knox! I am glad to hear that the Sheriffs Office is re-examining the evidence. I still can't believe the "Ben Franklin" emails were never followed up on. Kristin's case has been handled so poorly up until now that I just hope it is still possible to bring the perp(s) to justice. If I were Sheriff Parkinson, I'd start by subpoenaing the Sonoma State records to find out "Ben Franklin"'s true identity so he can be questioned...

Cubby
07-16-2011, 08:36 PM
The case of Kristin Smart, the Cal Poly student missing for the last 15 years, gets national exposure Monday night, thanks to a television show on the Lifetime Channel.

Smart’s story (http://www.kristinsmart.com/) will be the subject of next week’s episode of “Vanished!,” a show devoted to finding missing persons, hosted by Beth Holloway, mother of the college student Natalie Holloway who vanished while on vacation in Aruba.

The segment is scheduled to air Monday at 8 p.m. (For those not on the west coast check your local schedules for air time).

full article at link:

http://calcoastnews.com/2011/07/kristin-smart-story-to-go-national-on-monday/

Litlstar04
07-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Thank you, Cubby! Looking forward to seeing this show tonight and if there's any new information in the case.

Litlstar04
07-18-2011, 10:42 PM
After watching Vanished tonight, there's an additional piece of information I had never heard before - Kristin's turquoise earring being found at a rental property owned by Flores' parents. There's absolutely no reason why it should have been there. But, what an incredible shame and blow to this case that LE lost this piece of evidence!

Queenofwands
07-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Picture of Kristin Smart

Kat
09-02-2011, 05:54 PM
http://920kvec.com/Cold-Case-of-Brutal-Murder-Reopened-After-Twenty-Y/10804508

Two sentences.

The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's department has reopened the Kristin Smart investigation. Her body was never found so it is still a missing person case.

Bennettras
12-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Bumping for Kristin

Bennettras
04-17-2012, 10:40 PM
I believe two crimes happened that night. I believe one happened at the party and was committed by some of the frat boys. The other was after her "friends" were walking her home and she was turned over to a male who took her to his room and attempted to commit an opportunistic crime. I believe, IMHO, that LE needs to interview the frat members vigorously because some agreed to be interviewed, then changed their minds.

Bump for Kristin.

mayqueen
05-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm finding myself thinking of Kristin daily as the anniversary of her disappearance approaches. I Googled for updates and found this:

From October 2011:
Parents of Kristin Smart "cautiously optimistic" (http://www.news10.net/news/article/161042/2/parents-of-kristin-smart-cautiously-optimistic) (short text article with video; video gives more detail and includes interviews with K's parents and the new Sheriff Parkinson)

STOCKTON, CA - Their daughter has been missing for more than 15 years, and is presumed dead, but the Smarts of Stockton are encouraged that a positive outcome is coming in their case.

<snip>

With potential evidence being re-examined by a Caifornia Department of Justice lab in Southern California, Denise and Stan Smart hope that changes soon.

<snip>

Denise Smart said even if the new lab work doesn't reveal the evidence necessary to produce an arrest, she's hoping someone who knows something will soon talk.

"These kids were 18 at the time, and now they're 33. They may have children, they may understand the loss we've endured and maybe at this point, they come forward," said Denise.

The new sheriff seems genuinely interested in solving this case. He says they are re-examining each piece of evidence they have. While the text article doesn't specifically mention DNA, in the video Sheriff Parkinson says he's optimistic "because DNA technology has come so far." And the reporter later says that the DNA testing could take months to complete.

Mrs. Smart's observation that the kids Kristin went to school with are in their 30s now and may be more willing to "do the right thing" is a good one. I am Kristin's age, and I have matured dramatically in the last 16 years. Like Bennettras, I think LE would be wise to attempt to re-interview all the players from that night.

Rose_Red
08-31-2012, 07:58 AM
This case has been handled horribly! From the misplaced earring, to allowing the person who last saw Kristin Smart alive and a person of interest/prime suspect's room be cleaned and sanitized before any collection of evidence could be done, to taking a month to hand over the case from campus police to the SLO police department, to classifying Smart as a missing person until almost a week before she was actually "missing."

neverletgo
09-04-2012, 08:44 PM
:bump:

Bumping for Kristin. I re-watched the episode of Vanished with Beth Holloway that her disappearance was featured on this past weekend . . . my heart breaks for her family and loved ones!

Where is Kristin Smart?

Markybug
01-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Any new information on kristin?

Mark.

mayqueen
02-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Just saw a commercial for True Crime with Aphrodite Jones on Investigation Discovery... she'll be exploring Kristin's disappearance this Monday, Feb 25 at 10:00 pm ET/PT. The episode is titled "Girl, Gone".

It looks interesting... Aphrodite interviews someone who was at the party with Kristin and PF, who has never been interviewed before. I'll definitely be watching.

Here's the synopsis from ID's website:
In 1996, Cal Poly freshman Kristen [sic] Smart walked home from a frat party, and was never seen again. And as Aphrodite discovers, there's only one suspect that police have been pursuing - for years. Will this baffling case ever be solved?

Justice for Kristin!

mayqueen
02-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Kristin's mom, Denise, uploaded this tribute video to YouTube last month. It's photos and video of Kristin set to music.

Link: http://youtu.be/2vYsv-oS1V8

mayqueen
02-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Well, I watched Aphrodite Jones last night, and didn't learn anything new. The guy she interviewed who had never been interviewed before didn't have anything to offer (IMO) besides a slightly condescending attitude toward Kristin and her family.

Still no word on the DNA testing mentioned in late 2011.

neverletgo
02-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Still no word on the DNA testing mentioned in late 2011.

I watched in hopes of hearing some new information and/or an update on this during this segment, but as you said, there wasn't really any new info and no word yet on the DNA testing. :(

I hope there is some good news sooner rather than later! :please:

summer_breeze
03-03-2013, 09:07 AM
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130303/A_NEWS/303030319

By Jason Anderson
Record Staff Writer
March 03, 2013 12:00 AM

STOCKTON - Investigation Discovery, a television network that features crime-related documentaries, is bringing renewed attention to the case of a Stockton girl who disappeared in 1996 while attending California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo.

neverletgo
04-30-2013, 04:33 PM

What happened to Kristin Smart?

Snipped:

She was last seen walking north on Grand Avenue with Paul Flores. She was headed towards Muir Hall, which was her dormitory. Smart has never been heard from again. She was not carrying any identification, cash or personal belongings at the time she vanished.

http://i.imgur.com/lRSqLI8.jpg
Kristin Denise Smart (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/smart_kristin.html)

CanManEh
04-30-2013, 06:17 PM

What happened to Kristin Smart?

Snipped:

http://i.imgur.com/lRSqLI8.jpg
Kristin Denise Smart (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/smart_kristin.html)

Ask Paul Flores ...

neverletgo
05-29-2013, 03:22 PM
:bump: for Kristin . . . as of last week, she has been missing for 17 years. :(

http://i.imgur.com/0x9g37z.jpg

pdxmama
12-21-2013, 09:43 PM
"It’s ironic that the success of finding one young woman in a city 850 miles away, has actually injured efforts to find another young woman who has never been found. To clear up any confusion, KRISTIN Smart was never found and never returned home. Because of all the attention and press associated with the disappearance and successful discovery of Elizabeth Smart, efforts to find KRISTIN Smart have been injured. This injury is manifested in in the form of a misunderstanding by the general public that the case was already solved. The mistaken belief by the general public that KRISTIN Smart has already been found means there’s little or no pressure being applied to law enforcement entities to solve the KRISTIN Smart case. We cannot begin to tell you the numbers of people we spoke with when gathering information for this story who said, “Oh yes, I remember the Kristin Smart case. That case was solved years ago.”"

I just recently came upon this case and was confused at first because her photo looks so much like Elizabeth Smart I thought there had been a mix up. It makes me so sad that she may not be getting the attention she deserves because others have made the same mistake I did and didn't investigate further. Coming up on 18 years, I hope this is the year she is found.

Much more at link:

http://californiaregister.com/kristin-smart/

neverletgo
01-05-2014, 07:53 PM
:bump: for Kristin. :heartbeat:

Snipped from extensive article at link above:

“Good news, good news! I’ll call on Sunday” was the voice of Kristin Smart left on the family’s answering machine Friday, May 24, 1996. Kristin did not call Sunday and would never call anyone again.

This is a sad story about a young woman with her whole life in front of her who vanished one Saturday morning from the campus of California Polytechnic State University: AKA “Cal Poly” in San Luis Obispo, California. At the heart of the story are parents with a continuing, incessant grief so deep it is beyond comprehension and description.

http://californiaregister.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ArmsCrossed-e1378002968961.jpg

http://californiaregister.com/kristin-smart/

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed
05-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Kristin Smart: Wrongful-death suit still in limbo 18 years after disappearance

A wrongful-death lawsuit filed against the last person seen with Kristin Smart remains in limbo 18 years later because the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Office won't release evidence the plaintiffs say is vital to their case.

More: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2014/02/05/2910516/kristin-smart-missing-cal-poly.html

Markybug
09-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Bump for Kristin

bearfossils
10-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Watching an old episode of the show "American Justice" with Bill Kurtis; its centered around the abduction murders of Rachel Newhouse and Aundria Crawford by that waste of flesh Krebs. Anyway, the mention of Cal Poly made me think of Kristin. I can't believe its been so long and this case is still cold to the bone. It's so heartbreaking. I find it hard to believe that LE have absolutely nothing they could use to start building a case against that person whom is so very obviously guilty. It's bad enough that college police and local police bungled this case as much as they did; you-know-who would be behind bars if it weren't for all the mistakes mad. It upsets me so much to think about. Kristin deserves justice. Bump, bump, bump.

kemo
10-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Watching an old episode of the show "American Justice" with Bill Kurtis; its centered around the abduction murders of Rachel Newhouse and Aundria Crawford by that waste of flesh Krebs. Anyway, the mention of Cal Poly made me think of Kristin. I can't believe its been so long and this case is still cold to the bone. It's so heartbreaking. I find it hard to believe that LE have absolutely nothing they could use to start building a case against that person whom is so very obviously guilty. It's bad enough that college police and local police bungled this case as much as they did; you-know-who would be behind bars if it weren't for all the mistakes mad. It upsets me so much to think about. Kristin deserves justice. Bump, bump, bump.

Bear,
You are a little too hard on Law Enforcement in SLO. There is no body and no obvious explanation how the "Prime Suspect" could have moved the body without access to a vehicle. There was minimal evidence this suspect. The only real admissible evidence is that he was the last person known to be with her and he gave an explanation for a minor injury that was refuted by one witness. (The positive hit by body sniffing dog is inadmissible).

A lot of pressure has been put on various friends and relatives who might have helped him but nothing has turned up. A very extensive search of the landfill that any dumpster on campus would have ended up and nothing was found. In was a very expensive investigation with a lot of media pressure. Sometimes things don't work out.

JusticeWillBeServed
10-26-2014, 02:35 AM
At this point, the prime suspect is as known as Kristin Smart is. I wonder why they haven't been able to find enough evidence to convict, even without a body. Is there any possible chance that he isn't involved, at all, with her disappearance?