PDA

View Full Version : GUILTY CA - George Weller, 86, drove through farmers market, 10 dead, 16 July 2003






mindys
01-06-2004, 09:56 AM
Remember this:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/01/05/farmer.market.crash/index.html

mindys
01-06-2004, 10:59 AM
We had to write a letter to the DMV about my Grandfather-In-Law, years ago. He was witnessed by another relative going up the exit ramp to get on Interstate 79 on the East Coast. Tragedy was avoided, but he never told anyone about the incident afterward. After receipt of our letter, the DMV asked him to come in for a test, rather quickly, and he failed it BIG time, for lots of reasons, one was the medication he was taking. He never drove again, but ended up enjoying another reason to spend time with other people, while they took him where he needed to go. It was a lousy feeling to have to write that letter, but it actually should have been written months before it was. Thank God we don't have to see him in the situation of this man in CA, or the families he hurt so much.

Jeana (DP)
01-06-2004, 03:35 PM
I think this was a horrible horrible tragic accident. However, I don't see what good putting this 87-year old man in prison is going to accomplish. I don't see what the prosecutor is attempting to prove here. Its pretty obvious that the man should not have been driving in the first place.

maketoast
01-07-2004, 11:51 AM
I agree Jeana. I mean...he is an old man, what good would it do to put him in jail at this point in his life? Like you said, he shouldn't have been driving in the first place.

OkieGranny
08-20-2015, 03:46 PM
From May 2008:

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may/22/local/me-market22


George Russell Weller was 86 on July 16, 2003, when he crashed his 1992 Buick LeSabre through a wooden-and-plastic barricade and plowed through pedestrians at the popular open-air market.

Prosecutors in the criminal case against Weller suggested that he had been trying to flee a minor accident. Though lasting less than 20 seconds, the mayhem claimed, among others, an infant, a 3-year-old, a married couple, a homeless man and an octogenarian.

Weller was convicted last year of 10 counts of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence for one of the worst pedestrian tragedies in U.S. history. The jury decided he acted criminally after seeing images of carnage, including a body draped over the hood of Weller's car and another beneath the wheels. Weller, now 91, was sentenced to five years' probation. He is confined to his home and receives 24-hour nursing care.