PDA

View Full Version : Kelsey Briggs

aussiegran
03-26-2006, 03:49 PM
OKLAHOMA CITY -- NewsChannel 4 has received excruciating details of the last abusive months of Kelsey Briggs' life. Last month, the 2-and-half-year-old died from a traumatic blow to her stomach and the medical examiner ruled her death a homicide.

The only person arrested in the case is her step-father. He sits in jail charged with first degree murder and facing a one million dollar bond.

For the first time, NewsChannel 4 is getting a look at what the state did and did not do for the little girl when they were notified of the abuse. NewsChannel 4’s Cherokee Ballard has been pouring over the documents that the state was required to release and now some people are pointing a finger at DHS.

http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=4068806
:( I did a search on kelsey and didnt find her story on here. it happaned last year.this poor sweet little thing suffered terribly and no one protected her.

less0305
03-26-2006, 07:13 PM
I'd say somebody really messed up to continue to return this child to an abusive home - and then for her to die TWO hours after DHS visited...there's just something wrong about that!

OriginalJerseyGirl
05-15-2006, 01:32 PM
http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=4068806 (http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=4068806)
"The last time we saw her she wasn’t a normal little girl anymore. She had lost a lot of weight, her eyes looked glazed, she didn’t have the light in her eyes she had,” says her grandfather, Royce Briggs. She was sad. She was a sad little girl and before that, she never had any reason to be sad. It was like she wasn't even in there.”

I can't even find the words for how I feel about this. I hadn't heard about her before today and now my heart breaks for her. :(

OriginalJerseyGirl
05-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Kelsey's Purpose (http://kelseyspurpose.org/)

A site created for Kelsey by her paternal grandparent.

"My granddaughter Kelsey was born after her parents were divorced. I wondered why this child would be put on this earth after the two people who were not meant to be together had already gone their separate ways. I knew she had a purpose, but what could it be?

When my son was called to active duty and sent to Iraq I was sure that I knew. God was giving Kelsey to us because her father was not coming home.

I was wrong. Kelsey was the one who did not make it. She died just days before her dad was to return. After nine months of abuse, she joined the other little angels in Heaven. It was then that I knew her purpose...

She was put here to make a difference - to make sure other children are protected."

oudaily.com - Group gathers to raise child abuse awareness (http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/04/27/445184cd94d5b)

... The Kelsey’s Purpose Program, founded by grandmother Kathie Briggs, is in memory of the 2-year-old Meeker Oklahoma toddler, Kelsey Briggs, who died as a direct result of child abuse on Oct. 11, 2005.

The program currently has over 950 registered members in Oklahoma, the United States and countries around the world, according to a press release.

Members provide support and encouragement to families by organizing different events and rallies...

Kelsey’s stepfather, Michael Lee Porter, was charged with first-degree murder, and her mother, Raye Dawn Porter, has been charged with enabling child abuse and child neglect, according to Lincoln County District court records...

SewingDeb
05-15-2006, 01:41 PM
I saw the comment from DHS (from the link in the first post) and it makes me sick.

“The question is ‘who messed up?’ The person who messed up did all these things. That is the person who messed up, period.” says DHS, official George Johnson

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it appears that DHS is not accepting any of the blame in letting this child return to a clearly abusive home.

OriginalJerseyGirl
05-15-2006, 01:41 PM
April 29, 2006 -

.:KTFO UPN41 ONLINE:..:NEWS:. (http://www.upn41.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=BE179AE5-9DA5-4EC9-8CF7-EAF311EA2709)

Governor Brad Henry proclaimed today Kelsey Briggs Day in Oklahoma...

OriginalJerseyGirl
05-15-2006, 01:44 PM
I saw the comment from DHS (from the link in the first post) and it makes me sick.

“The question is ‘who messed up?’ The person who messed up did all these things. That is the person who messed up, period.” says DHS, official George Johnson

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it appears that DHS is not accepting any of the blame in letting this child return to a clearly abusive home.I felt exactly the same way. Yes, the person directly responsible for this baby's murder is the murderer but give me a break. All the signs were there. A child has two broken legs, the parent has to be TOLD to take her to the hospital, yet this child is returned to the home??? Bruises on her face, broken collar bone, etc., etc., all before the age of 3, and no one's alarms at DHS were ringing???? I'm just sickened. This child truly suffered in her tragically short life. I would have adored that beautiful little girl. I wish she had been mine. :(

OriginalJerseyGirl
05-15-2006, 01:48 PM
The continuing case of Kelsey Briggs (http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=4188510&nav=menu99_2_6)

There are serious questions about a child advocacy worker who was supposed to be protecting a little girl who was later beaten to death. The worker visited Kelsey Briggs and her mother on the very day the two-and-a-half-year-old died. The worker reported that everything was just fine.

New questions have risen about the worker's treatment of her own child. NewsChannel 4's sources have said that the very worker who was supposed to be protecting Kelsey Briggs was once accused of abusing her own child in 1997. She faced charges of assault and battery. This reveals another stunning twist in this tragic case...

The documents include an arrest warrant of assault and battery. She was accused of assaulting her own daughter. The warrant says that Ms. Bonner grabbed a fly swatter and struck her daughter on the buttocks and then grabbed her by the hair and began to pull her toward the front door.

Bonner admits using a fly swatter and grabbing her daughter's hair. The case was eventually dismissed.

Bonner hired local attorney Craig Key to represent her. Key eventually became the judge assigned to the Kelsey Briggs case. He was the very judge who ordered Kelsey be sent back to her home...

OriginalJerseyGirl
05-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Lots of links to news clips, etc. Very nice site.

JusticeForKelseyBriggs.org (http://justiceforkelseybriggs.org/)

... Michael Porter, the stepfather, was arrested Thursday morning on October 20, 2005 for the death of his two-year-old stepdaughter, Kelsey. The bond has been set for $1 million after he pleads not guilty in court on October 21, 2005, Friday morning to charges that he killed the toddler, Kelsey Briggs. The judge in the case has issued a gag order for everyone in the case. However, later on Michael Porter bond was reduced from one million dollar to 250,000 bond and was able to bond out of jail, his next court date is in April 21st of 2006. The Stepfather stands accused of striking the little girl in the abdomen earlier in the week causing blunt force trauma and inflicting deadly wounds....

The little girl was described as having significant bleeding in her intestines and bruising on her ribs, the front of her chest, side and back...

OriginalJerseyGirl
05-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Heart-breaking video interview with Kelsey's paternal grandparents. It seems that they did everything humanly possible to save their granddaughter.

Video includes pictures of beautiful Kelsey. Some are hard to look at. In one, there is a clear bruise on her cheek and two others are close-ups taken, I believe, post-mortem. :(

NewsOK.com | Powered by The Oklahoman and NEWS 9 (http://newsok.com/video/1648719/)

lisag
05-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Poor little girl... I am sick to my stomach

OriginalJerseyGirl
05-15-2006, 02:11 PM
The one news report states that Kelsey was asleep when her mother left her alone with the step-father so that she could go pick up HIS daughter from school and also states that she died mere hours before her dad returned from Iraq.

This is too much.

OriginalJerseyGirl
05-15-2006, 02:16 PM
News video

NewsOK.com | Powered by The Oklahoman and NEWS 9 (http://newsok.com/video/1643364/)

OriginalJerseyGirl
05-15-2006, 02:22 PM
NewsOK.com | Powered by The Oklahoman and NEWS 9 (http://newsok.com/video/1653259/)

News video - reaction from Kelsey's mother's family. They seem like a completely normal family and are obviously devastated by Kelsey's death. There is a pic with Kelsey and her mom and she appears to be an attractive woman that takes good care of herself.

Includes the information that the murderer has filed for divorce from Kelsey's mother and that Kelsey's mother is (was at that time?) pregnant with the murderer's baby.

There is also video footage of Kelsey. She is wearing her leg casts in parts of the video, and you can hear her sweet voice in other parts.

OriginalJerseyGirl
05-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Article from April 6, 2006:

Mother of slain toddler gives birth (http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=4759684)

... Raye Dawn Smith gave birth to a son named Blaine at an Oklahoma City hospital and the child will be placed in state custody...

State Department of Human Services attorney Steve Huddleston says the issue of visitation is still being worked out.

OriginalJerseyGirl
05-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Article from May 3, 2006:

Result of second autopsy on Meeker girl to come out in court (http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=4854413)

A prosecutor says the results of a second autopsy on a 2-year-old Meeker girl who died last October will come out in court.The body of Kelsey Smith-Briggs was exhumed last week for the second autopsy at the request of District Attorney Richard Smothermon.

Smothermon says the autopsy was performed by Indiana University medical school professor Dean Hawley after Smothermon met with the girl's father, Lance Briggs, and mother Raye Dawn Smith...

OriginalJerseyGirl
05-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Sorry about all of the posts but since there's not much on this thread, and I can't shake how horrible I feel for this poor child, I figured I'd share what I've gotten from Google.

Article from May 4, 2006:

"Weak case" alleged by attorney for man in girl's death (http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=4859378)

The attorney for a man charged with the murder of his 2-year-old stepdaughter says a second autopsy was ordered on the girl's body in an effort to strengthen what he calls the prosecution's "weak case."

Paul Sutton represents Michael Porter on murder charges in the death of Kelsey Smith-Briggs of Meeker...

Kelsey's body was exhumed and a second autopsy performed last week at the request of District Attorney Richard Smothermon.

Sutton says Smothermon is looking for evidence the girl was sexually assaulted and is trying to pin down the time she was attacked. (I wonder how he can make this statement since everyone involved in the case has been placed under a gag order.)

Porter remains free on 250-thousand dollars bond and is due in court for a preliminary hearing May 26th.

Jeana (DP)
05-15-2006, 02:59 PM
You post as many as you want JerseyGirl!!! Little Kelsey deserves all the attention she can get.

Masissy
05-15-2006, 03:22 PM
You post as many as you want JerseyGirl!!! Little Kelsey deserves all the attention she can get.
I agree JerseyGirl. This beautiful child deserved so much more out of life. The Mom I mean b*&*%$ should be locked up as well. Poor baby covered in bruises, broken bones, lost weight, oh it hurts me so bad.

OriginalJerseyGirl
05-15-2006, 03:27 PM
The Mom I mean b*&*%$ should be locked up as well.Thankfully, she's being charged as well:

Kelsey's mother, Raye Dawn Smith, is charged with felony child neglect and enabling child abuse. (Let's hope that she gets some of the hell that that child lived.)

"Weak case" alleged by attorney for man in girl's death (http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=4859378)

Elliemae
05-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Thankfully, she's being charged as well:

Kelsey's mother, Raye Dawn Smith, is charged with felony child neglect and enabling child abuse. Let's hope that she gets some of the hell that that child lived.

THANK GOD!!

She's just as guilty, if not more, in my eyes. Scumbag!!:behindbar

Elliemae
05-15-2006, 04:14 PM
THANK GOD!!

She's just as guilty, if not more, in my eyes. Scumbag!!:behindbarMy heart is breaking for this little girl and her father. Her mother Ray Dawn Smith has other children. They should all be taken away from her and she should be given the death sentence. She brought a beautiful little life into this world, only to torture it until it died. This is unconsciencable. This was clearly pre-meditated. And shame on that pediatrician/doctor for lying. Her license should be taken away. How very very sick.

She should be given the death penalty, I mean it, as well as the sick MF who beat, sexually abused her, then ultimately killed her. DEATH PENALTY!

Jeana (DP)
05-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Judges and a broken system.
January 8th, 2006 by Duncan Avatar

Kelsey Smith-Briggs

Our system of protecting some of the most defenseless amongst us must be fixed. Romeocat has a post about the sad and pathetic excuse for a judge who decided to give a child rapist a 60-day sentence for serial raping a 6 year-old girl. The judge sure doesn’t care about putting a monster back on the street to hurt other little children. He doesn’t care about justice for the six-year-old whose life has been warped by a sick, putrid, disgusting, pile of filth that deserves to be left in a room with the parents, chained to the floor, and brillo pads and hack-saws. Sounds rough eh? Not nearly as rough as being a six year old and BEING RAPED REPEATEDLY.

Now on to the sweet little girl whose picture is above. Her name is Kelsey Smith-Briggs. She is the latest story here in Oklahoma. Poor little Kelsey died October 11th. She didn’t die at the hands of rapists, or serial murderers. But at the hands of those who were supposed to nuture, love, and care for her, her mother and step-father.

more at:

http://parrotcheck.com/2006/01/

There's a photo of the little angel too. :(

Jeana (DP)
05-15-2006, 04:19 PM
From that same link:

The final months of Kelsey Smith-Briggs’ life
Jan. 9, 2005: Kelsey suffers a broken collarbone and bruises while in the care of her mom, Raye Dawn Smith.

(hmmmm. Okay, kids play and get hurt. -D.A.)

Jan. 24: Kelsey is moved to her paternal grandmother, Kathie Briggs.

April: Kelsey is still in Briggs’ care but visits her mom regularly. She breaks both shins.

(hmmmm. Seems to have an awful lot of “playing and getting hurt” in her mothers “care” - D.A.)

April 18: Raye Dawn Smith marries Michael Lee Porter.

May 3: Kelsey is placed in state Department of Human Services custody because of the broken legs. She is moved to her maternal grandmother, Gayla Smith.

(YAY! Someone finally pulled their heads out of their arses and finally took that poor child out of an apparently abusive situation -D.A.)

June 15: Lincoln County Associate District Judge Craig Key rules that who abused Kelsey is unknown. The judge returns Kelsey to her mother.

(Just cue the “imperial march” here folks! In comes the Black Robed Wonder who returns Kelsey to her mother and step-father because the abuser is “unknown”. Let me widdle it down for ya there Judge Key, it is either the MOTHER or the STEP-FATHER. Sending the lamb back amongst the wolves. -D.A.)

Aug. 19: Kelsey is hurt in a car accident.

Oct. 11: Kelsey dies, allegedly after her stepfather, Michael Porter, strikes her in the stomach at their home near Meeker.

(Too late. Another innocent dies at the hands of an evil monster because of a Black Robed Wonder. -D.A.)

Masissy
05-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Judges and a broken system.
January 8th, 2006 by Duncan Avatar

Kelsey Smith-Briggs

Our system of protecting some of the most defenseless amongst us must be fixed. Romeocat has a post about the sad and pathetic excuse for a judge who decided to give a child rapist a 60-day sentence for serial raping a 6 year-old girl. The judge sure doesn’t care about putting a monster back on the street to hurt other little children. He doesn’t care about justice for the six-year-old whose life has been warped by a sick, putrid, disgusting, pile of filth that deserves to be left in a room with the parents, chained to the floor, and brillo pads and hack-saws. Sounds rough eh? Not nearly as rough as being a six year old and BEING RAPED REPEATEDLY.

Now on to the sweet little girl whose picture is above. Her name is Kelsey Smith-Briggs. She is the latest story here in Oklahoma. Poor little Kelsey died October 11th. She didn’t die at the hands of rapists, or serial murderers. But at the hands of those who were supposed to nuture, love, and care for her, her mother and step-father.

more at:

http://parrotcheck.com/2006/01/

There's a photo of the little angel too. :(
Indeed a face of an angel.

2beautifulboys
05-15-2006, 05:23 PM
I am too sick to speak, my eyes are crying, my heart is breaking. This poor sweet baby never knew a moments joy or felt a mother's warm love. She was tortured every day of her young life, there is just no way we can comprehend the pain and fear and helplessness she felt. It shakes me to my core.

Her good for nothing parents need to be put to death immediately. The good for nothing judge, well hopefully he will be 'judged' someday as well. Broken bones and bruises all over and the worker says everything is FINE! Well how's this for fine, a little baby girls death is on your hands now.

The world is full of beautiful little angels, like Kelsey, and the world is full of evil, like the mom and step dad and the judge and the social worker. May those that perpertrated this evil or contributed to it and chose not to rescue her by doing nothing, rot in hell and I hope the devil makes you his a number one target. I cannot think of a punishment harsh enough for what you did. Maybe first you need the **** beat out of you and a few bones broke then we can get someone from Al-Queda to cut off your head, yep that should do it.

It won't bring Kelsey back but justice would indeed be served...

You are an angel with God now little Kelsey, I'm sorry for the evil you suffered here on earth, I wish I had known you and could have saved you.

Elliemae
05-15-2006, 10:00 PM
From that same link:

The final months of Kelsey Smith-Briggs’ life
Jan. 9, 2005: Kelsey suffers a broken collarbone and bruises while in the care of her mom, Raye Dawn Smith.

(hmmmm. Okay, kids play and get hurt. -D.A.)

Jan. 24: Kelsey is moved to her paternal grandmother, Kathie Briggs.

April: Kelsey is still in Briggs’ care but visits her mom regularly. She breaks both shins.

(hmmmm. Seems to have an awful lot of “playing and getting hurt” in her mothers “care” - D.A.)

April 18: Raye Dawn Smith marries Michael Lee Porter.

May 3: Kelsey is placed in state Department of Human Services custody because of the broken legs. She is moved to her maternal grandmother, Gayla Smith.

(YAY! Someone finally pulled their heads out of their arses and finally took that poor child out of an apparently abusive situation -D.A.)

June 15: Lincoln County Associate District Judge Craig Key rules that who abused Kelsey is unknown. The judge returns Kelsey to her mother.

(Just cue the “imperial march” here folks! In comes the Black Robed Wonder who returns Kelsey to her mother and step-father because the abuser is “unknown”. Let me widdle it down for ya there Judge Key, it is either the MOTHER or the STEP-FATHER. Sending the lamb back amongst the wolves. -D.A.)

Aug. 19: Kelsey is hurt in a car accident.

Oct. 11: Kelsey dies, allegedly after her stepfather, Michael Porter, strikes her in the stomach at their home near Meeker.

(Too late. Another innocent dies at the hands of an evil monster because of a Black Robed Wonder. -D.A.)
I am outraged at this one. This just may be the catalyst for me to have to do something.

lol

Watch out guys! :eek:

Elliemae is gunnin' for ya.

This just burns me to no end. I think we should have the heads of the judge, the doctor, and the caseworker. They should all go to jail as well be given the death penalty. I mean, isn't that what they gave Kelsey afterall?

I can't believe this isn't a national case.

:furious:

cathieq
05-15-2006, 11:42 PM
I wonder if sometimes it isn't best to take matters into your own hands. Kelsey's grandparents did everything possible to save their granddaughter. We are taught to follow the rules and laws...but just who are these rules and laws protecting? So now a child is dead...and the mother and stepfather will probably be punished. But folks, at least they still have their lives - Kelsey doesn't. It just isn't fair.

OriginalJerseyGirl
05-16-2006, 08:57 AM
I wonder if sometimes it isn't best to take matters into your own hands. Kelsey's grandparents did everything possible to save their granddaughter. We are taught to follow the rules and laws...but just who are these rules and laws protecting? So now a child is dead...and the mother and stepfather will probably be punished. But folks, at least they still have their lives - Kelsey doesn't. It just isn't fair.I was thinking exactly the same thing; wishing that the grandparents had kidnapped her and taken her away. And as wrong as it is, I now find myself hoping that the dad serves justice to the piece of ***** that did this to his little girl while he was off at war. My heart breaks for him.

OriginalJerseyGirl
05-17-2006, 12:57 PM
I just can't stop thinking about her. Look at the picture in this link of her leaning on her Daddy's legs with her face in her hands. What a beautiful, beautiful child. My heart truly aches for her. Kelsey's Law is too late for Kelsey. :( :( :(

KSBI-TV - Home - Senate Approves Kelsey's Law (http://www.ksbitv.com/home/2699166.html)

The bill would significantly reform the way courts and the state Department of Human Services handle cases related to child abuse and neglect...

The bill would give DHS and judges the authority to request investigative resources from the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. Additionally, the measure would establish stronger review procedures allowing for greater input by those acting as advocates for a child’s safety, health and welfare. Under the legislation, Court Appointed Special Advocates would also be required to meet national training standards...

sharpar
05-17-2006, 01:20 PM

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it appears that DHS is not accepting any of the blame in letting this child return to a clearly abusive home.
In some states DHS primary mandate is not to protect children but to get
the kids unified with family and off the state's dime. So they will return
the kids to horrible parents over and over again . Shocking to find this out.

cathieq
07-22-2006, 12:34 AM
CHANDLER-The stepfather of Kelsey Smith-Briggs was accused Friday in an amended charge of sexually abusing the 2-year-old girl as well as murdering her...

The new accusation of sexual abuse is the latest twist in a high-publicity case that has led to reform legislation and lawsuits...
http://www.newsok.com/article/2775342

OneLostGrl
07-23-2006, 12:20 AM
OMG That poor, poor baby!

Elliemae
07-24-2006, 10:52 AM
CHANDLER-The stepfather of Kelsey Smith-Briggs was accused Friday in an amended charge of sexually abusing the 2-year-old girl as well as murdering her...

The new accusation of sexual abuse is the latest twist in a high-publicity case that has led to reform legislation and lawsuits...
http://www.newsok.com/article/2775342Thanks for the update, Cath.

If you click on the right, you can access pictures of all of the players. What scum. I'm so glad that the father is pressing charges on everyone, including the children's services department. I hope he sees justice.

This is such a tragedy.

The mother has divorced the scumbag, now. I think she may have married him for the money, as he is 26 yo and head of some company - probably a family run company - he looks like a scumbag. Gee, hmmm, money or abusing my child - oh, I'll just turn a blind eye 'cuz i's needs da money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scumbags, all of them. The mother should be locked away. She'll probably be pregnant again by the time of her trial. Mark my words.

:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

Blondieskatz
07-24-2006, 11:31 AM
This is terrible. It brings tears to my eyes. This baby could have been helped by the state. What kind of people do they having working for the state that this could even happen? :(

I wonder sometimes about all the evil in the world, all the torture done to these babies and helpless animals. It's so sad. The question would be what can be done? I can't even begin to think of an answer to that question.

2luvmy
07-25-2006, 11:02 AM
What a beautiful angel. I spent some time reading all the information about her and looking at her pictures.

I have some questions. From birth until the months before her death, she looked very well taken care of - like she was the apple of her parent's eye. A lot of the photos taken were professionaly taken and there were some comments that her mom liked to take her to get them done. Pictures show that she had ton's of toys, went places etc., had a beautiful room.

This just seems so odd to me. The few photos I have seen with Kelsey and her mom - her mom looks happy and proud also.

What was the change? How long had Kelsey's mom been with this man? How'd she meet him?

I am just stunned because from all the pictures it looks like Kelsey was a much loved little girl, even by her mom. Then all of a sudden her mom meets this man and flips out!!!

Those pictures of Kelsey with 2 casts on just break my heart. How in the hell does a 2 years old break her collar bone, break her SHINS, get in a car wreck and look like heck (which shouldn't be possible if she wa sin her car seat), and then die of massive trauma in a few short months and the state just thinks it is a coincidence.

Bless her dad and famiyl

OriginalJerseyGirl
08-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Nothing new to report, it seems, but I was thinking about Kelsey today. Here's an old article about how neighbors feel about the family of this beautiful child:

Kelsey Briggs's family handle threats (http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=4463067)

... They've also received letters describing Kelsey's death in detail. One ended up in all the mailboxes in the Oklahoma City neighborhood where Raye Dawn has been staying.

The author says, “I just want to make sure you are informed that you have a suspected murderer and suspected child molester living in your neighborhood, especially if you have children. It was signed by an anonymous concerned citizen of Oklahoma...

OriginalJerseyGirl
08-18-2006, 01:15 PM
This just seems so odd to me. The few photos I have seen with Kelsey and her mom - her mom looks happy and proud also.I agree. I don't know what her mother's situation is but sadly, there are many women out there that put a man before their children. Maybe this is an extreme example of that? I've seen it dozens of times with certain people I've known on a much smaller scale.

sherri79
07-19-2007, 02:41 AM
update http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289849,00.html
BRISTOW, Okla. — A Creek County jury convicted a Meeker woman on Wednesday of enabling child abuse in the death of her 2-year-old daughter.
The jury recommended a prison sentence of 27 years for Raye Dawn Smith (javascript:siteSearch('Raye Dawn Smith');), 27. Jurors deliberated for about 2 1/2 hours before returning with their verdict.
Smith, who could have received life in prison on the charge, lowered her head and cried, "I don't understand. Help me," when the 12-member jury announced its unanimous verdict.
Prosecutors said Smith bears responsibility for the injuries that killed 2-year-old Kelsey Smith-Briggs.
"This trial is about her accountability," District Attorney Richard Smothermon said during a 45-minute closing argument in the felony child-abuse case against Smith. "This defendant abused her child. She either did it or let it happen."
As he spoke, Smith wept at the defense table next to her attorney, Steve Huddleston.
"Tears do not absolve you of your accountability," Smothermon said. "Kelsey Smith died — died."
==============
more @ link.

pedinurse
07-19-2007, 02:46 AM
update http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289849,00.html
BRISTOW, Okla. — A Creek County jury convicted a Meeker woman on Wednesday of enabling child abuse in the death of her 2-year-old daughter.
The jury recommended a prison sentence of 27 years for Raye Dawn Smith (http://javascript<b></b>:siteSearch('Raye Dawn Smith');), 27. Jurors deliberated for about 2 1/2 hours before returning with their verdict.
Smith, who could have received life in prison on the charge, lowered her head and cried, "I don't understand. Help me," when the 12-member jury announced its unanimous verdict.
Prosecutors said Smith bears responsibility for the injuries that killed 2-year-old Kelsey Smith-Briggs.
"This trial is about her accountability," District Attorney Richard Smothermon said during a 45-minute closing argument in the felony child-abuse case against Smith. "This defendant abused her child. She either did it or let it happen."
As he spoke, Smith wept at the defense table next to her attorney, Steve Huddleston.
"Tears do not absolve you of your accountability," Smothermon said. "Kelsey Smith died — died."
==============
more @ link.

Good. I am still not sure the mom did it, but it sounds like either she did or she knew it was going on. Scum of the earth. How sad. Such a pretty little baby too. So innocent. And daddy was away defending our country, and couldn't defend his own child. From the articles I read, one of THE most horrific abuse cases reported in OK.

Bobbisangel
07-19-2007, 03:13 AM
This story just breaks my heart. Little Kelsey was so beautiful and had such a sweet smile. In every picture I've seen of her she is smiling and seemed so happy. Who would have guessed that she was living a nightmare of abuse.

I thought that most of the pictures of Kelsey were taken when she was with her dad and gramma. She was always dressed so cute and seemed so happy. That picture of her looking up at her dad and him looking down at her just rips my heart out. What a beautiful picture of the two of them. Love just shines between them.

I'm glad that the mother got 27 years in prison. She won't be received well. She doesn't deserve to raise her baby boy. She might have met another loser and let him beat the baby to death and rape it while she turns a blind eye. She has to pay for what she allowed to happen to Kelsey. She knew those "accidents" weren't accidents yet she didn't say a word but lie about it. Who knows, maybe Kelsey put a crimp in her life after she met her loser husband. Justice has been served in a part of the case...now lets hope the husband gets LWOP.

OriginalJerseyGirl
07-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Great news. I so wish that this whole thing never happened in the first place. This one haunts me.

KOOL LOOK
07-19-2007, 12:14 PM
None of the links work to any photos of Kelsey. I wanted to see them. I guess the links are too old. I couldn't get her site to load, justiceforkelseybriggs.org.

Can anybody post the pics here so we can see them, I want to see her pretty face. Also the pic discussed with the mother and child.

TIA.

OriginalJerseyGirl
07-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Try this link to the photo page at her site. She's so beautiful and the love between her and her dad is so evident. It's painful to look at these, especially the one with her and her dad in his fatigues.

Kelsey Briggs (http://kelseyspurpose.org/pics.htm)

KOOL LOOK
07-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Michael Porter wasn't the only abuser. The mother abused Kelsey too. Both of them did. i'm not positive she wasn't the main one either. On kelsey's site i think the trial link is there. I haven't read it nor know if it gives gavel to gavel coverage so I don't have alot of evidence to base this opinion on other than there is no way this mother wasn't involved.

It was too long a drawn out process. Now if a boyfriend/step father did it in a spur of the moment event, then she wouldn't have known. You can't be with someone 24/7, see them daily and not reconize changes in them.

I never did see the bruised pics of kelsey, any of the mother or step father. I would like to see them too.

Her website is very nice and informative. Haven't read it all though.

NewMom2003
07-19-2007, 05:41 PM
This case breaks my heart. :( What a beautiful little angel Kelsy is. :angel:

I'm happy to hear that the so called "mother" has been sentenced. Can't wait to hear that the man is sentenced also. :furious: :furious:

Bobbisangel
07-19-2007, 05:51 PM
I agree that the mother was an abuser too. If she wasn't then she was very aware of what the husband was doing to Kelsey. I would imagine it was both of them though. The abuse and death of this little girl has really gotten to me. Just like baby Dean Springstube who was hung by a noose in his crib and his mother beaten to death and strangled. Both cases are heartbreaking.

sherri79
07-19-2007, 06:00 PM
This case breaks my heart. :( What a beautiful little angel Kelsy is. :angel:

I'm happy to hear that the so called "mother" has been sentenced. Can't wait to hear that the man is sentenced also. :furious: :furious:Porter initially was charged with sexual assault and first-degree murder, but pleaded guilty to enabling child abuse and was sentenced to 30 years in prison. Porter testified last week that he believed Smith was responsible for the girl's death.http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289849,00.html

zadari
07-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Lots of links to news clips, etc. Very nice site.

JusticeForKelseyBriggs.org (http://justiceforkelseybriggs.org/)

... Michael Porter, the stepfather, was arrested Thursday morning on October 20, 2005 for the death of his two-year-old stepdaughter, Kelsey. The bond has been set for $1 million after he pleads not guilty in court on October 21, 2005, Friday morning to charges that he killed the toddler, Kelsey Briggs. The judge in the case has issued a gag order for everyone in the case. However, later on Michael Porter bond was reduced from one million dollar to 250,000 bond and was able to bond out of jail, his next court date is in April 21st of 2006. The Stepfather stands accused of striking the little girl in the abdomen earlier in the week causing blunt force trauma and inflicting deadly wounds....

The little girl was described as having significant bleeding in her intestines and bruising on her ribs, the front of her chest, side and back...

oh god why do these things happen??!! . this breaks my heart!! .that poor little angel...

OriginalJerseyGirl
07-19-2007, 11:54 PM
oh god why do these things happen??!! . this breaks my heart!! .that poor little angel...
Some of these stories are unbearable. This is certainly one of them. There's no making sense of it. :(

Bobbisangel
07-22-2007, 02:58 AM
I wonder if sometimes it isn't best to take matters into your own hands. Kelsey's grandparents did everything possible to save their granddaughter. We are taught to follow the rules and laws...but just who are these rules and laws protecting? So now a child is dead...and the mother and stepfather will probably be punished. But folks, at least they still have their lives - Kelsey doesn't. It just isn't fair.

We all know what a mess CPS and DHS is in about every state. Their goal is to get kids back with their parents regardless of the threat to the child's life.

I think there is a time that grandparents and the parent without custody like dad's with joint custody or visitation should just take the child and run. If Kelsey's daddy had been home maybe he would have taken her and disappeared. It would have saved her life whether the law agreed or not. There are several dead children that would still be alive if a relative would have had the courage to just take them and run as they were aware of what was going on in their poor little lives. Our judicial system is a mess and I doubt that it is going to get any better any time soon. Think of the judge that handed little Kelsey right back to her mom and stepdad and he said to do it that day. Didn't he read the medical reports on that beautiful little girl. Glad he isn't on the bench any longer. Charges should have been filed against him along with the mom and stepdad. Yes, sometimes a person just has to decide what is best for a child and then do it regardless of what the law says.
If one of my kids was abusing one of my grandchildren I wouldn't think twice about going and taking my grandchild. I would dare my kid to try and stop me.

Marie
07-22-2007, 08:12 AM
This link has a picture of Kelsey with what appears to be a bruise on her cheek. Poor little baby, and her website just breaks my heart.

Kelsey's Case Focuses New Attention On Child Abuse In Oklahoma (http://www.kotv.com/news/topstory/?id=131897)

Bobbisangel
07-23-2007, 03:39 AM
This link has a picture of Kelsey with what appears to be a bruise on her cheek. Poor little baby, and her website just breaks my heart.

Kelsey's Case Focuses New Attention On Child Abuse In Oklahoma (http://www.kotv.com/news/topstory/?id=131897)

I see that bruise on that baby's face. Looking at her pictures just breaks my heart. That article says that a DHS worker was at Kelsey's house two hours before she died!!! That little girl should never have been given back to her mom and stepdad. I don't blame Kelsey's dad for filing suit against DHS and he should file one against that judge too. He is the one that said to give Kelsey back and do it NOW! Seems like everyone failed little Kelsey. Her dad and stepmom should have been raising that baby. Now she is gone and nothing can bring her back.

Marie
07-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Not sure if this has been posted, but here's the mother's family website (http://rememberingkelsey.com/)
Only thing there is a picture and a not so nice statement by Kelsey's mother.

imthemom
07-23-2007, 10:32 AM
I cried for this little baby reading this, how could they let her go back, I hope the father wins and shows them how messed up the system really is. I saw a move on Lifetime once about and underground group that helps people kidnap there own children who are being abused, I wish this family had found them and got help to run away with her. I would if it was my child or grandchild.

OriginalJerseyGirl
07-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Not sure if this has been posted, but here's the mother's family website (http://rememberingkelsey.com/)
The statement bothers me to no end. If nothing else, she should understand the anger and grief of the father's side of the family.

One comment on that site:

ED Says:
February 20th, 2007 at 9:14 pm (http://rememberingkelsey.com/?p=9#comment-72)
Where are any pictures after Raye took custody back of Kelsey? Are there none because you don’t want to show the world her battered body? Prove me wrong.

Other posts then go on to say that she didn't have a battered body; all children get bruises, etc. I suppose some do - mine have had many ... none on their faces like that though.

Bobbisangel
07-23-2007, 08:58 PM
The statement bothers me to no end. If nothing else, she should understand the anger and grief of the father's side of the family.

One comment on that site:

ED Says:
February 20th, 2007 at 9:14 pm (http://rememberingkelsey.com/?p=9#comment-72)
Where are any pictures after Raye took custody back of Kelsey? Are there none because you don’t want to show the world her battered body? Prove me wrong.

Other posts then go on to say that she didn't have a battered body; all children get bruises, etc. I suppose some do - mine have had many ... none on their faces like that though.

I'll bet your children never had both legs broken and in casts either. That whole family makes me sick. In my opinion they protest to much. They need to look at the facts. Those are what matter. I'll bet the members of Kelsey's jury will have nightmares for years to come after looking at the pictures of that baby after she died. I'm so glad her mother didn't get away with the abuse or at the least...ignoring it. That's some love for your child when you allow her to be beaten to death and abused in every possible way before her death. Probably another woman that didn't think she could live without a man and so she just let him abuse Kelsey instead of kicking his butt out. I think she was abusive too though. They are both exactly where they should be.

OriginalJerseyGirl
07-23-2007, 09:34 PM
ITA, Bobbisangel.

PrayersForMaura
07-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Kelsey's Purpose (http://kelseyspurpose.org/)

A site created for Kelsey by her paternal grandparent.

"My granddaughter Kelsey was born after her parents were divorced. I wondered why this child would be put on this earth after the two people who were not meant to be together had already gone their separate ways. I knew she had a purpose, but what could it be?

When my son was called to active duty and sent to Iraq I was sure that I knew. God was giving Kelsey to us because her father was not coming home.

I was wrong. Kelsey was the one who did not make it. She died just days before her dad was to return. After nine months of abuse, she joined the other little angels in Heaven. It was then that I knew her purpose...

She was put here to make a difference - to make sure other children are protected."

oudaily.com - Group gathers to raise child abuse awareness (http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/04/27/445184cd94d5b)

... The Kelsey’s Purpose Program, founded by grandmother Kathie Briggs, is in memory of the 2-year-old Meeker Oklahoma toddler, Kelsey Briggs, who died as a direct result of child abuse on Oct. 11, 2005.

The program currently has over 950 registered members in Oklahoma, the United States and countries around the world, according to a press release.

Members provide support and encouragement to families by organizing different events and rallies...

Kelsey’s stepfather, Michael Lee Porter, was charged with first-degree murder, and her mother, Raye Dawn Porter, has been charged with enabling child abuse and child neglect, according to Lincoln County District court records...

this makes me incredibly sad and numb.
That poor little girl :(

PrayersForMaura
07-23-2007, 10:16 PM
I just can't stop thinking about her. Look at the picture in this link of her leaning on her Daddy's legs with her face in her hands. What a beautiful, beautiful child. My heart truly aches for her. Kelsey's Law is too late for Kelsey. :( :( :(

KSBI-TV - Home - Senate Approves Kelsey's Law (http://www.ksbitv.com/home/2699166.html)

The bill would significantly reform the way courts and the state Department of Human Services handle cases related to child abuse and neglect...

The bill would give DHS and judges the authority to request investigative resources from the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. Additionally, the measure would establish stronger review procedures allowing for greater input by those acting as advocates for a child’s safety, health and welfare. Under the legislation, Court Appointed Special Advocates would also be required to meet national training standards...

Oh my God ... :(
http://media.ksbitv.com/images/KelseyandDad.jpg

This is so heartbreaking.
That picture is just so adorable with her daddy.
I don't understand how people can hurt their own children!!!
Makes me so mad and so sad.

God bless little Kelsey. :(

OriginalJerseyGirl
07-23-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm sorry, PFM. This seems to be hitting you as hard as it hit me when I first saw it (and still). There is something about that picture of her leaning on her Daddy's leg that makes this so haunting. Maybe it's her tiny little body; maybe it's the way they look at each other; maybe it's knowing how much he loved her and how much he wanted to protect her. I don't know but I still can't stop thinking about her.

PrayersForMaura
07-23-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm sorry, PFM. This seems to be hitting you as hard as it hit me when I first saw it (and still). There is something about that picture of her leaning on her Daddy's leg that makes this so haunting. Maybe it's her tiny little body; maybe it's the way they look at each other; maybe it's knowing how much he loved her and how much he wanted to protect her. I don't know but I still can't stop thinking about her.

I feel the same way. Gosh, the hell she went through ... I cannot fathom it... and her poor daddy. He was serving his country and protecting people but wasn't able to rpotect his daughter :( He must be slowly dying inside.

My God, I just don't understand!

Bobbisangel
07-25-2007, 05:25 AM

I posted a comment on that web site and I really expected that it would be gone by today. I'm sure once the person who is keeping the website up reads it it will be long gone. I just stated facts though and who can argue with facts....Kelsey's mom's family can I guess!

OriginalJerseyGirl
07-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Looks like they found it, Bobbisangel. Darn, I was hoping to see it!

Nocgirl
07-25-2007, 04:20 PM
What a sad heartbreaking story.

I also signed Raye's guestbook. I am sure my comment will be removed.

Raye needs a good hardcore reality check.

That little girl was just too precious for words.

calidreamin
07-25-2007, 05:00 PM
This is the saddest thing, how in the world could anyone hurt that little cutie pie? That mother is a complete disgrace and I hope she goes to jail for a very long time.

NewMom2003
07-25-2007, 05:50 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289849,00.html

Thanks Sherri! I hadn't seen that before. I'm happy to hear that that murderer is behind bars. May he rot in HELL. :furious:

God Bless you baby Kelsey. :angel: You are now an angel in Heaven where no one will ever hurt you again. :angel:

Laneymae
07-25-2007, 07:22 PM
BRISTOW, Okla. — A Creek County jury convicted a Meeker woman on Wednesday of enabling child abuse in the death of her 2-year-old daughter. The jury recommended a prison sentence of 27 years for Raye Dawn Smith, 27. Jurors deliberated for about 2 1/2 hours before returning with their verdict.

I wonder how many times Kelsey said that to her mother.

Kelsey never got an answer or help ...

Bobbisangel
07-26-2007, 12:45 AM
Looks like they found it, Bobbisangel. Darn, I was hoping to see it!

It's still there. It is under my real name...Barbara and is the last one posted. You have to go down to the very bottom of the page where it says 11 comments. I'm shocked that it hasn't been removed already!

missacorah
07-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Ah it looks like theyve removed it now as I cant seem to find it!

As if all these injuries happened to Kelsey and 'mum' had no idea.Sadly though some women, once they ahve a man think that hes the be all and end all. I work in a primary school and I mean of course ive never seen anything on this scale, but things like a childs cleanliness, help at home with schoolwork, quality times spent together can all go out the window completely when some women have a new man.

Nocgirl
07-27-2007, 12:04 PM
This case is really really sad.

I have a hard time believing that Raye Dawn did not suspect, at the back of her mind, that her husband was abusing the girl. There is no excuse for ignorance or just plain stupidity.

Was she offered a plea-bargain? It appears she is going to trial over this, and she faces a VERY long sentence unless she takes the plea, and admits she SHOULD have known her husband was abusing the girl.

I wish more mothers would take some accountability, and do some public service announcements to help save other children. Raye Dawn had to have some sort of sneaking suspicion her hubby was doing the abuse. I mean come on, somebody was abusing the girl. It it wasn't her, then who was it?

I read her guest book and there are some women on there just as clueless as her. She may have been a great mom, but was not a great mom up until this scumbag entered the picture.

My comment on her guestbook I'm sure will not be posted because it gives her a reality check which I'm sure she does not want.

OriginalJerseyGirl
07-27-2007, 10:03 PM
I've yet to see even one comment on that website that does anything other than to defend that worthless mother.

PrayersForMaura
07-27-2007, 10:11 PM
they didn't approve my comment... it's listed as "awaiting moderation" :rolleyes:

Nocgirl
07-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Mine too, and I'm sure mine won't get approved either.

Nocgirl
07-27-2007, 11:44 PM
I just read through this whole entire thread. I was not aware that mom was found guilty and step-scumbag took a plea. I am so heartbroken, it appears that Mom knew exactly Kelsey was being abused and even did some of the abusing herself. What a deplorable excuse for a mother. i hope she gets sentenced to the max.

Bobbisangel
07-28-2007, 03:00 AM
Mine too, and I'm sure mine won't get approved either.

Mine can be read but it also says it is awaiting moderation. It's still there though...number 11....at the very end of the page after Raye's little speel. Am I the only one that can see mine on the website? Maybe it is hidden from everyone else until it is approved?????

Nocgirl
07-28-2007, 01:33 PM
It's hidden from everyone else until approved. Mine are not viewable except for the computer I did it on. Mine was really nasty, I am sure mine will not be posted.

OriginalJerseyGirl
07-28-2007, 09:27 PM
As long as her "supporters" get to read the reality from your posts, that's what's important, I guess. What a shame that that site is designed to mislead people about what really happened to that little girl. And to see that they also refer angrily to the dad's family from the statement about "Kelsey's purpose" just goes to show what kind of people the mom and her bunch really are. They make me sick.

Nocgirl
07-28-2007, 10:22 PM
I cannot stop thinking about this little girl and the torture she had gone through when step-dad moved into the house. This case and Liana Sandoval have bothered me the most.

Step-dad for sure took a plea deal correct?

I don't know how a mom can disregard the statement "Daddy Mike hurt my head". My daughter is almost 3, and is so precious and loveable I cannot imagine letting anyone hurt her. She communicates quite well and can say if she is being hurt, or if something hurts or not.

Raye Dawn is a stupid B**** for denying everything and ignoring all the pain and the signs this little girl went through. The fact only 11 or so people have posted coments makes me thinks she gets most nasty grams and deletes most of the comments. She is clueless in every way. I hope they terminate her rights to her baby boy too.

OriginalJerseyGirl
07-28-2007, 10:39 PM
I don't know the details of Liana's case but it definitely seems another case of child services not doing enough to protect the children. These cases haunt me to no end.

imthemom
07-29-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't know the details of Liana's case but it definitely seems another case of child services not doing enough to protect the children. These cases haunt me to no end.

http://suncanaa.com/in_memory_

This is a good website about children who were killed that were involved with CPS. Either given back to parents or killed by foster parents. I don't know if any posted it already but Kelsey is on here and so is Logan Bratton.

Nocgirl
07-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Google Liana Sandoval. Boyfriend is on death row, mom is serving a life sentence. Liana was killed at age 20 months, her 3 year old sister severely beaten. The abuse started as soon as the boyfriend moved in and Dad moved out. CPS was involved, did a joke of an investigation, ignored calls and proof the girls were being abused. The day CPS closed the file, Liana was kiled. Mom even helped dispose of her body, then called the police and reported Liana missing.

CaliKid
07-29-2007, 07:11 PM
This is probably somewhere here at WS, but I found this from earlier this month in my area.

Foster Mother, 47, Accused in Killing

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070705-9999-7m5baby.html

OriginalJerseyGirl
07-30-2007, 10:15 AM
http://suncanaa.com/in_memory_

This is a good website about children who were killed that were involved with CPS. Either given back to parents or killed by foster parents. I don't know if any posted it already but Kelsey is on here and so is Logan Bratton.
What a sobering site. I'm speechless. :(

OriginalJerseyGirl
07-30-2007, 10:17 AM
This is probably somewhere here at WS, but I found this from earlier this month in my area.

Foster Mother, 47, Accused in Killing

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070705-9999-7m5baby.html
It just goes on and on, it seems. Malachi, Liana and all of those beautiful children on that website. I wish there were easy answers to getting it to stop.

Mygirlsadie
09-02-2007, 04:52 AM
Beautiful Kelsey...I was thinking about her today for some reason. She is a definate example of a child who by looking at her you would never expect this type of thing would be happening to. Never judge a book by its cover huh?!.. My heart breaks when I see the picture of her sitting in the swing face looking down to the side. It is obvious in this picture that she is losing weight sad and that there is something wrong with that child. I am sorry but if I was grandma that baby would not of went back. I would of ran and went in hiding with her. The father also should of been called back from Iraq to protect his baby girl. He should of been allowed to do that and I don't know why he wasnt? I have seen guys come home due to bill problems needing fixing so apparently nobody was keeping him informed on what was going on with his baby girl... I would of loved to have adopted this beautiful little girl I would of cherished and loved her everyday! :(

SeriouslySearching
09-02-2007, 05:01 AM
If I had known the plight of Kelsey...I would have taken her myself and gone NOT into hiding...but national spotlight! With her face all over...they could not have hurt her again! Someone would or could have stopped it! There is nothing more sad than for what we thought were safeguards to protect her which failed her. She is like Logan...slipped thru the cracks of DHS and they fell to their deaths because of it. Oklahoma has a horrible record and slowly it will change...along with everything else here.

These cases have made it such that our state HAS to change their standards of care. I am sad it takes too long and lives have to be lost for them to realize the system is so broken.

Nocgirl
09-04-2007, 11:46 AM
This case is so sad. I am curious does anyone have any updates on the mother? She was found guilty and was supposed to be sentenced. Her website is so nauseating I cannot bear to go to it, since her and her family essentially blame everyone but the mom for this horrible tragedy.

Does anyone know if she was sentenced yet?

OriginalJerseyGirl
09-17-2007, 05:14 PM
From September 11, 2007 -

Sapulpa Daily Herald - Smith to serve 27 years (http://www.sapulpadailyherald.com/news/local_story_254113208.html)

A judge sentenced Raye Dawn Smith to 27 years in prison Monday in the death of her 2-year-old girl, ending a case that exposed problems in how the state handled reports of child abuse.

District Judge Paul Vassar sentenced Smith to the term recommended by a Creek County jury, which found her guilty in July of enabling child abuse in the death of Kelsey Smith-Briggs...

Before she was sentenced, Smith said only four words: “Kathie, I forgive you.”

It was directed at Kathie Briggs, Kelsey’s paternal grandmother, who initially got custody of the child after she was abused in early 2005. After Smith spoke, some in the courtroom laughed, as if in disgust.

Outside of court, Kathie Briggs called Smith “demented.”

“Now she thinks she’s God,” she said...

Kelsey’s father, Lance Briggs, said Smith’s statement before her sentencing was proof that “she does not get it.”

“She showed no remorse, she did not take any responsibility,” he said. “Now she can serve her 27 years...”

AmandaBrown23
09-17-2007, 06:44 PM
I will never ever as long as I live forget this little girl. I saw a video made for her on myspace and I cried for about an hour after I watched it. That poor beautiful little girl. I dont understand how someone can get that mad at a baby.

OriginalJerseyGirl
09-17-2007, 07:58 PM
I dont understand how someone can get that mad at a baby.
That's what always blows my mind in these cases. What could possess someone to get that angry at a child? I don't get it. I don't think I ever will.

georgiagirl
09-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Not sure if this has been posted..... A tribute video for Kelsey. Heartbreaking!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWow42TCwzg

Nocgirl
09-19-2007, 02:34 PM
I am so glad to hear Rae Dawn got the maximum sentence. She is totally clueless and none of her family gets it.

This is one of the reasons I have decided to volunteer and be a CASA. I start training Fri 9/28.

At least little Kelsey did not die in vain. Her death made me want to make a difference.

imthemom
09-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I hope some mean women get ahold of this disgusting woman who does not deserve the title mother. Poor little Kelsey, I couldn't finish the tribute, the last picture of her with the bruise on her face, her eye is obviously injured, she looks so sad, just like her grandmother said like someone was dying because she was dying. No more pain sweet baby.

georgiagirl
09-19-2007, 03:05 PM
I am so glad to hear Rae Dawn got the maximum sentence. She is totally clueless and none of her family gets it.

This is one of the reasons I have decided to volunteer and be a CASA. I start training Fri 9/28.

At least little Kelsey did not die in vain. Her death made me want to make a difference.

Good for you!! My mom was a CASA here in Ga for several years. It is a tough job but I am glad there are people stepping up the plate like yourself! :clap:

sherri79
09-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Not sure if this has been posted..... A tribute video for Kelsey. Heartbreaking!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWow42TCwzg heartbreaking is the perfect word to describe this.

AmandaBrown23
09-19-2007, 05:02 PM
That youtube video is the one I saw on myspace that devastated me so bad. Im never going to forget that beautiful little innocent face.

Lilybug1
09-19-2007, 05:21 PM
There is also a rebuttal tribute in there by the Smith family, I assume. The Smith family is absolutely delusional.

It claims that the father physically abused the mother...who knows...

Continues to suggest that the broken legs and bruised butt could have been caused by Kathie Briggs...that Kelsey saw both Raye Dawn and Kathie Briggs that day...so even though the child is living with Kathie Briggs, Kathie Briggs wanted until the days of visitation with Raye Dawn to abuse the child. Not likely...So they expect to believe that Kathie Briggs was the abuser, yet the stepfather independently sexually assaulted and murdered the child. I would say at this point that it is safe to assume that the stepfather is the abuser.

Also, plays dirty and says that Kathie Briggs gave up her children, yet wanted Kelsey Briggs.

It also makes the incredible claim that Kathie and Lance Briggs met with the stepfather in jail just to chat, but didn't ask what happened to Kelsey...and actually wanted him to get a plea deal (for no reason).

So stupid these people!:furious:

Nocgirl
09-19-2007, 06:33 PM
The Smith family and anyone related to Rae Dawn are total losers. Their websites make me sick and I refuse to go on them.

They went as far as even blaming Lance Briggs, said he abused Rae Dawn and did not want the child in the first place. They absolutely refuse to take responsibility for Kelsey's murder. Their websites are not helping them and are only making people more furious at the family because they are so pathetic. :banghead:

I wrote some very nasty things in their guestbooks, of course they did not get published.

calidreamin
09-19-2007, 07:03 PM
I am so glad Rae Dawn was given the max, what an evil POS she is. I hope she rots in hell.

Lilybug1
09-19-2007, 08:23 PM
What's funny is that even in the slide show rebuttal the Smith family put together they state that they will not be accepting anymore comments because the Briggs family/friends keep writing lies. Of course, there too...the only comments that are kept are those that support the crazy Smiths.

I can assure I have never met or heard of Lance Briggs and/or his mother Kathie until I read about his poor girl's death. It doesn't take a genius to figure that...if the Kelsey was thriving until her stepfather was in the picture and her stepfather was the one who murdered, the bruises and TWO broken legs were caused by the stepfather while in her mother's care...NOT at the hands of Kathie or Lance Briggs or even as a result of an active child!

My niece, God love her, has always been a spitfire with absolutely no fear...she gets bruises and scratches from time but she has never broken a bone, much both of her legs at the same time. What activity was Kelsey engaging in to inflict these injuries...TACKLE football!?!? Oh right, that supposed to be due to the serious car accident they were in, except that the very dense Smiths forget that we have these things called doctors and Xrays so if Kelsey's injuries were caused by this alleged car accident, it would have been indicated at that time!

I am so happy that this woman received the max sentence and I hope she does get her sentence cut drastically for good behavior. To this day, I am not certain that she didn't engage in the abuse herself, because otherwise, why not charge the stepfather with murder? Instead, they were both charged with enabling abuse. In any event, I have no doubt that this woman brought this monster into her home who killed her daughter and she had to know...even she didn't know, it's because she willfully looked the other way. If she could not dump her piece-of-***** new boyfriend or husband, the least she could have done was give her poor daughter the opportunity to live free from abuse and sexual assault.

Weak and selfish...the worst combination...and what worse, she doesn't even feel guilty.

Nocgirl
09-19-2007, 09:00 PM
My daughter is 2, almost 3. She gets bumps and bruises but she has never had a sprain, broken bone, or even a moderate injury. Kelsey endured alot of injuries in her short life. The stupid judge that gave Kelsey back to the mom and step-dad should be feeling somewhat responsible for her death. Something tells me he will not be re-elected.

Where is the judge here? Has he publicly spoken about this horrible travesty? He has blood on his hands.

calidreamin
09-19-2007, 09:10 PM
This little angel just brakes my heart. I will never forget the picture of her sitting on the slide with casts on both legs. I can't believe people kept giving her back to the mother. Now that little sweetheart is dead and it makes me so very sad.

Bobbisangel
09-19-2007, 09:10 PM

What exactly is a CASA? I know that it is something good. Is there a way that you can let Kelsey's grandmother know? I'm sure that it would really do her heart good. I know she has a web page about Kelsey and lots of pictures.
There was also a forum somewhere else I'll see if I still have the address. Bless your heart for jumping in there and making a difference.

Bobbisangel
09-19-2007, 09:14 PM
This little angel just brakes my heart. I will never forget the picture of her sitting on the slide with casts on both legs. I can't believe people kept giving her back to the mother. Now that little sweetheart is dead and it makes me so very sad.

She was just an angel wasn't she with that sweet little face. I love the picture of her leaning on the arm of the chair looking up at her daddy with him looking down a him. It's a beautiful picture but so heartbreaking at the same time. How do they stand it?

The mom and stepdad should have both been hung in the town square. It amazes me that the mother and her family can't see that she did anything wrong. Talk about denial :furious: I would like to rip that woman's hair right out of her head :furious:

calidreamin
09-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Hi Bobby she was just just sweetest little thing and I too loved the picture with her dad, you could just tell how much he loved her. I don't know how he can stand it now that she is gone. I too would loved to pull the hair right out of that pigs head!!! How dare she cause that little angel pain! I am just glad she got a huge amount of time in prison. I hope they make her serve it all too! I also wanted to say too that I am sorry about the loss of your daughter. You are a lovely person and I am sorry that you have to go thru that. I hope someday these evil people that cause such pain to so many are extinct.:blowkiss:

Bobbisangel
09-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Hi Bobby she was just just sweetest little thing and I too loved the picture with her dad, you could just tell how much he loved her. I don't know how he can stand it now that she is gone. I too would loved to pull the hair right out of that pigs head!!! How dare she cause that little angel pain! I am just glad she got a huge amount of time in prison. I hope they make her serve it all too! I also wanted to say too that I am sorry about the loss of your daughter. You are a lovely person and I am sorry that you have to go thru that. I hope someday these evil people that cause such pain to so many are extinct.:blowkiss:

Thank you calidreamin. I wonder who is raising that mom and stepdad's little boy? I'm glad that neither of them will have the chance to raise him and hopfully ever see him. I sure hope none of the mom's family are raising him but I bet one of them have him. Wish he had been put up for adoption and have had a chance in life.

I watched Kelsey on Utube and just sat and cried. It's so painful to watch that beautiful little girl and her daddy together and just to look at her little face and know that she died a horrible death at the hands of those two monsters. The judge that gave her back to her mother should also be hung in the town square. I heard that he left the bench????? He should be made to look at a picture of beautiful little Kelsy 10 times a day of when she was alive and then a picture of when she wasn't :furious: He is guilty too. He made a decision that cost this baby her life. Who the heck did he think inflicted all of the damages on little Kelsey...the neighbor for pity sake:furious: I'd like to just beat the chit out of him. I know one thing..I will never forget this baby girl as long as I live.

Lilybug1
09-19-2007, 11:07 PM
According the Smith's slideshow, the Judge wrote a book on the case (Tug of War or something to that effect)...in effort to save face and explaining why he couldn't remove the child from the home unless he knew the exact perpetrator of the abuse...of course, I am sure the Smiths love this because he will claim that it wasn't clear that they were the abusers. When I was in law school, I did a child advocacy clinic and it broke my heart...because no one cared about the child...not the judge, not the case worker, no one...I imagined they did care at some point, but after beating their head agains the brick wall, just sort of submitted to the system. Every one was used to a system that doesn't work....so at the hearings, it was like going through the motions, file papers, parenting classes, blah, blah, blah, but no real examination of what is best for the child.

Lilybug1
09-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Found this...http://www.usobserverok.com/archive/edition1-07/kelsey-smith-briggs.htm

Jon Barry claims to be an investigative reporter...sounds like the Smith family to me! I wonder if they became an investigative reporter!

sherri79
09-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Found this...http://www.usobserverok.com/archive/edition1-07/kelsey-smith-briggs.htm

Jon Barry claims to be an investigative reporter...sounds like the Smith family to me! I wonder if they became an investigative reporter! did you check out the site he writes for? it is not a news paper. it is a advocate for people who claim to be falsely accused of a crime. it is less investigative reporting and more of a press release. then it seems you pay for them to write the story... http://www.usobserverok.com/investigate.htm

Why have a bad day when it's still possible to force justice right down their throats?
If you are innocent and there is conclusive evidence of your innocence, US~Observer Oklahoma provides a 100% money-back guarantee should we fail to prove your innocence and achieve your total vindication. US~Observer Oklahoma investigates cases for news and therefore we don't print that which can't be resolved. We want to win, just as you want to prove your innocence.
Do not contact us if you are in any way guilty and for justice sake, don't wait until they slam the door behind you before contacting us if you are innocent. In civil cases the scenario is the same except for the incarceration part. Don't go broke trusting someone who is only concerned with your pocket book!

calidreamin
09-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Thank you calidreamin. I wonder who is raising that mom and stepdad's little boy? I'm glad that neither of them will have the chance to raise him and hopfully ever see him. I sure hope none of the mom's family are raising him but I bet one of them have him. Wish he had been put up for adoption and have had a chance in life.

I watched Kelsey on Utube and just sat and cried. It's so painful to watch that beautiful little girl and her daddy together and just to look at her little face and know that she died a horrible death at the hands of those two monsters. The judge that gave her back to her mother should also be hung in the town square. I heard that he left the bench????? He should be made to look at a picture of beautiful little Kelsy 10 times a day of when she was alive and then a picture of when she wasn't :furious: He is guilty too. He made a decision that cost this baby her life. Who the heck did he think inflicted all of the damages on little Kelsey...the neighbor for pity sake:furious: I'd like to just beat the chit out of him. I know one thing..I will never forget this baby girl as long as I live.
That judge is definately to blame also. He should be brought up on charges too! I was thinking about the baby last night too. I bet he did go to someone in her family to raise and that scares me too. I hope we don't see him in the news a year from now. :furious:

imthemom
09-20-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm with all you on this, I can't get baby Kelsey out of my mind. My little girl is the exact age Kelsey was when she died and I think that is why it is weighing on me so heavily. I cried for her last night and was teary eyed thinking about her this morning while going to work. She was failed on so many levels. I prayed today for her dad and family, I know the devestation must be unbearable for them. God bless them.

georgiagirl
09-20-2007, 10:25 AM
What exactly is a CASA? I know that it is something good. Is there a way that you can let Kelsey's grandmother know? I'm sure that it would really do her heart good. I know she has a web page about Kelsey and lots of pictures.
There was also a forum somewhere else I'll see if I still have the address. Bless your heart for jumping in there and making a difference.

CASA is a Child Abuse Special Advocate. Basically it is a volunteer position and you basically someone who looks out for the child's best interest.

Nocgirl
09-20-2007, 12:21 PM
It is very obvious that either mom or the step-dad were abusing the child, so to say it was unclear who was doing the abuse is just a crock. Big mistake with the judge and I would not waste my time or money buying his book. Why should he profit from such a tragedy.

CASA is a Court Appointed Special Advocate, it is a volunteer position and basically CASA's help CPS in investigating a case. CPS is so overworked the caseworkers generally have very little time to actually interview the child and to do a proper, thorough investigation. The goal is to have one CASA per case but there just are not enough CASA'S. I had never even heard of CASA until recently, they really need to do a better job on getting their name out there. Every single county has one though and most people have not even heard of them.

Does anyone have the web page or email to the Briggs family? I would like to email the grandmother.

Thanks

OriginalJerseyGirl
09-22-2007, 01:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWow42TCwzg
God, this is horrible to watch. She was so beautiful.

OriginalJerseyGirl
09-22-2007, 01:40 PM
They went as far as even blaming Lance Briggs, said he abused Rae Dawn and did not want the child in the first place.
Many expectant parents aren't exactly thrilled when they learn of a pregnancy but turn out to be amazing parents once the child is born. Even if that story is true about Lance, I couldn't care less. It's obvious how very much he adores that little girl in all of the pictures. (Maybe he "didn't want" the child because he knew his marriage to that loser was going down the drain.)

BTW, Nocgirl, this is in response to the people that are saying that about Lance, not a response to you - I know that you're just posting what you know and that that statement isn't a reflection of your own feelings.

OriginalJerseyGirl
09-22-2007, 01:44 PM
She was just an angel wasn't she with that sweet little face. I love the picture of her leaning on the arm of the chair looking up at her daddy with him looking down a him. It's a beautiful picture but so heartbreaking at the same time. How do they stand it?
I can't even begin to imagine. The pictures in the video tribute are heart-wrenching - the ones with her Daddy at her grave. Unbearable. :( :( :(

OriginalJerseyGirl
09-22-2007, 01:53 PM
You know what really bugs me about the mother's family - the obvious anger that they feel towards Lance and his mother. After all that's happened, how can that STILL be their focus? Can they not understand that Lance and Kathie have also suffered a tremendous loss and that they should indeed have a chance to vent?

Kathie was obviously devastated by what's happened and she chose to try to funnel that into something good. "Kelsey's purpose". And then this "investigative journalist" has the unbelieveable audacity to place a caption under photos that states "Kelsey Smith-Briggs - a child, not a purpose." What is with these people? Why are they so angry at this woman? Sadly, I don't think they'll ever "get it" as they are obviously busier pointing fingers at everyone else to accept responsibility for what they've done.

Here's a link to that idiot's page, posted earlier on this thread.

US~Observer Oklahoma (http://www.usobserverok.com/archive/edition1-07/kelsey-smith-briggs.htm)

OriginalJerseyGirl
09-22-2007, 02:20 PM
CASA is a Court Appointed Special Advocate, it is a volunteer position and basically CASA's help CPS in investigating a case. CPS is so overworked the caseworkers generally have very little time to actually interview the child and to do a proper, thorough investigation. The goal is to have one CASA per case but there just are not enough CASA'S. I had never even heard of CASA until recently, they really need to do a better job on getting their name out there. Every single county has one though and most people have not even heard of them.
I never heard of them and after doing a web search just now, they do indeed have them in counties all over my state. I'm glad you all brought this up - I'll be reading up on the volunteer possibilities.

SeriouslySearching
09-22-2007, 02:23 PM
I read the article and quite frankly...I happen to agree with the journalist who wrote it. It sounds like he did his homework and would not be stating such if it weren't backed up by sources.

Everyone knows that abusive relationships begin somewhere. I believe that Kathy has to own up to her own demons in this scenario. Kelsey wasn't the first to be abused in their family circle and not enough was done to protect this child. This is a fact. If the truth is that her son is also an abuser...doesn't it make sense that Kathy set this precedence? I wondered why the father wasn't instrumental in protecting Kelsey and it seems we have the answer.

If Kathy were any kind of a grandparent, this child would be alive today. I would not have tolerated ANY abuse to happen to my grandchild and certainly not more than once! She and I might have been "on the run", but no one would break her collarbone or have the chance to EVER touch her again if DHS failed her!

OriginalJerseyGirl
09-22-2007, 02:27 PM
There are two sides to every story. However, regardless of anything that Lance or Kathie may or may not have done, Porter is the convicted murderer of this baby.

This "investigative reporter" is not a journalist, as someone pointed out earlier - he's a paid service provider. And in this case, he was paid to slander the Briggs family. We're supposed to believe what he writes but all we see are references to "witnesses" and "sources". If I'm to believe the garbage I read there, I need to see actual documentation to back it up. Any moron can reference unnamed "witnesses" and "sources" to tell any story they choose. IMO, the author of that nonsense is a moron.

ETA: Many people author things that are not and cannot be backed up by reliable, verifiable sources - especially on the Internet. We have no idea who the author is, what his research methods are, what his credentials are, etc. He could be any random Joe Schmo that decided to lash out at the Briggs for whatever reason - most likely cash. I greatly value your opinion, SS, but honestly think that to believe something just because someone wrote it and to believe that it wouldn't have been written if it can't be backed up by sources is naive. We can't possibly know if he would or wouldn't be stating the things he does if they can't be backed up.

OriginalJerseyGirl
09-22-2007, 02:57 PM
I hope some mean women get ahold of this disgusting woman who does not deserve the title mother. Poor little Kelsey, I couldn't finish the tribute, the last picture of her with the bruise on her face, her eye is obviously injured, she looks so sad...
In other videos on YouTube, there are pictures of her that appear to be from around that same time. They may be from the very same time but I don't know. In any case, in those pictures, you can see that there isn't just one bruise on her cheek - there appear to be three or four on the cheek in front of the ear and it looks as if there may even be more bruising behind the ear. Unreal.

It's so odd to me that this happened to her because she really did seem loved. There are SO many pictures of her, including professional looking portraits. I've never known anyone to have so many professional pictures taken. And in most of the pictures, she's wearing beautiful outfits & her hair is fixed, etc. In those pictures, she's not what you would think of when you think of neglected & abused children. I guess it just goes to show that anyone can be a victim, regardless of what we see on the outside.

Both things I've mentioned can be noticed in the following video:

YouTube - Kelsey Briggs 2002-2005 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Fv5rLkxoE)

imthemom
09-22-2007, 03:10 PM
I read the article and quite frankly...I happen to agree with the journalist who wrote it. It sounds like he did his homework and would not be stating such if it weren't backed up by sources.

Everyone knows that abusive relationships begin somewhere. I believe that Kathy has to own up to her own demons in this scenario. Kelsey wasn't the first to be abused in their family circle and not enough was done to protect this child. This is a fact. If the truth is that her son is also an abuser...doesn't it make sense that Kathy set this precedence? I wondered why the father wasn't instrumental in protecting Kelsey and it seems we have the answer.

If Kathy were any kind of a grandparent, this child would be alive today. I would not have tolerated ANY abuse to happen to my grandchild and certainly not more than once! She and I might have been "on the run", but no one would break her collarbone or have the chance to EVER touch her again if DHS failed her!

I think that both Porter and now Kelsey's mom are in prison proves that they were at fault and no one else besides CPS. Kathy had to follow the rules, in order to possibly get Kelsey back. She was fighting to clear her sons name who was fighting for our country. I am sure if he was here, he would have done everything he could to get Kelsey. I would run too but if you are caught, you go to jail for kidnapping and then wear does that leave the child, back to the family to abuse her and you will have no chance to see her again. I think if Kathy new what would happen she would have run but noone knows the future sadly it was too late for Kelsey.

Mygirlsadie
09-22-2007, 03:23 PM
God how could anyone hurt that beautiful child? She went through so much & I just can't understand how nobody was able to step in and get her out of that situation? I mean it don't take a blind person to see the changes in her. Two broken legs bruises on the face obvious weight loss etc etc...this makes no sense. The sadness in that little girls face right before she was murdered by the scumbags just tears my heart to shreds.

OriginalJerseyGirl
09-22-2007, 03:26 PM
She did look like she lost a lot of weight. I agree - how did no one see the signs?

sherri79
09-22-2007, 03:44 PM

If Kathy were any kind of a grandparent, this child would be alive today. I would not have tolerated ANY abuse to happen to my grandchild and certainly not more than once! She and I might have been "on the run", but no one would break her collarbone or have the chance to EVER touch her again if DHS failed her! please read post 110 that i did before you put any faith in this "journalist". he is not a independent investigative journalist but a paid advocate for people convicted of crimes.

philamena
09-22-2007, 03:44 PM
God how could anyone hurt that beautiful child? She went through so much & I just can't understand how nobody was able to step in and get her out of that situation? I mean it don't take a blind person to see the changes in her. Two broken legs bruises on the face obvious weight loss etc etc...this makes no sense. The sadness in that little girls face right before she was murdered by the scumbags just tears my heart to shreds.

I agree. :(:(:(
I still can't talk about this case.

OriginalJerseyGirl
09-22-2007, 04:14 PM
If you read the statement next to this one, it says that the song was written specifically for Lance and Kelsey, at Grandmom Kathie's request:

YouTube - A Soldier's Child (Lance and Kelsey's Song) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG_ew6S_O58)

OriginalJerseyGirl
09-22-2007, 04:22 PM
One last link for now - an interview with Kelsey's mom that was done on a news program.

YouTube - Fox25 - Raye Dawn Smith (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGy2N969T2g)

Bobbisangel
09-22-2007, 05:53 PM
When you read that article it is so obvious that Raye Dawn's family is behind it. I read about three fourths of it and had to shut it down. The whole thing is so one sided and he doesn't name his sources and so nothing as far as I'm concerned is fact. He says that he got a lot of his info from LE and DHS but I highly doubt that. I doubt that either agency is going to sit down with this guy and openly talk about the case and who said what, etc. The whole article just stinks. The only thing that I know for a FACT is that beautiful little Kelsey is dead and her mother and stepfather are both in prison for causing her death. I don't think the creepy pervert of a stepfather was even charged with child rape or molestation but it is a fact that he had sexually abused little Kelsey.

It makes me shudder to think that this family is probably raising that baby boy. And shame on them for keeping this horrible tragedy in the spotlight like they are instead of moving on with their lives and allowing everyone else to try and do the same thing.

Nocgirl
09-24-2007, 12:53 PM
It really doesn't matter if Lance supposedly abused Rae Dawn or not. Her evil husband is the one that killed the little girl. It is not surprising many men are not excited about an unplannd pregnancy, I do not hold it against them at all and it should not be held against Lance.

pjop
09-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi everyone,
I don't come here all that often and the reason is cases like this. It sickens me. It's hard to deal with that there are monsters like these in the world. I can't take but so much of it.....I come here and catch up and then I have to stay away for a while. Same thing w/ watching those Forensic Files type TV shows. Anyway, that's not what I came here to say....someone posted earlier how in Kelsey's pictures it appears lots of them were professionally done....and she appeared well taken care of. That is what struck me, too. In so many of the pictures she looked so sweet, pretty, healthy, and taken care of. I try to imagine why something like this happened to this child.....try to make sense of the senseless. Did it ever come out that she got addicted to drugs or anything like that? How could this have happened? The only thing I can come up with is that she got involved in drugs or something. How could you go from that sweet little family they had (or appeared to have) to what she became? How did she end up w/ this abusive POS? How on earth does that happen? Just wondering if anyone knew if drugs were in any way involved in this.

Lilybug1
09-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi Pjop,

I haven't heard of any drug involvement in this case. Sadly, I think what happened here is that a mother chose her new boyfriend over your child, plain and simple. The professional pictures and such were mostly pre-boyfriend. There has been some rumor that Lance Briggs (Kelsey's bio-dad) was abusive towards Raye-Dawn. We will never know if that's true, because the Smith family has just spread too many unbelievable lies and rumors and have lost all credibility. Even so, it's possible that Raye Dawn had a habit of falling prety for abusive men...in this particular instance, the man directed his abuse, both physcially and sexually, at her this beautiful baby girl! Too sad...and it is so sad that some women don't love themselves and their children enough to walk away from the men that hurt them. I don't think any drugs...I just think she wanted to be the new guy so badly that she either chose to look the other way or participate in the abuse.

Bobbisangel
09-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi Pjop,

I haven't heard of any drug involvement in this case. Sadly, I think what happened here is that a mother chose her new boyfriend over your child, plain and simple. The professional pictures and such were mostly pre-boyfriend. There has been some rumor that Lance Briggs (Kelsey's bio-dad) was abusive towards Raye-Dawn. We will never know if that's true, because the Smith family has just spread too many unbelievable lies and rumors and have lost all credibility. Even so, it's possible that Raye Dawn had a habit of falling prety for abusive men...in this particular instance, the man directed his abuse, both physcially and sexually, at her this beautiful baby girl! Too sad...and it is so sad that some women don't love themselves and their children enough to walk away from the men that hurt them. I don't think any drugs...I just think she wanted to be the new guy so badly that she either chose to look the other way or participate in the abuse.

And that is exactly why Rae Dawn is where she is today....she refused to do anything about the abuse and just turned her head while her beautiful little girl was being battered and abused both physically and sexually. What kind of a mother allows that to go on :furious: No matter how deseperate some women are to have a man they should always put their children first.

Rae Dawn's family and friends can hold up for her until the Lord comes but she is going to stay right where she is. She took part in little Kelsey's murder even if she didn't touch her. I doubt that it will ever sink into her thick head though. I hope the other women in prison just ride her all of the time about being a baby killer. They will make her life miserable.

Lilybug1
09-25-2007, 10:12 PM
I agree! Raye Dawn failed her daughter in every way. The very least she could have done was give her up to the parternal grandmother so that she would be spared her abuse...while Raye Dawn could keep her precious new husband. What's even more disgusting is the fact that Raye Dawn and her family continue to blame everyone else...including the father and the paternal grandmother...when it was her who brought the monster who killed her daughter into her home and fought for her daughter to stay there and continue to live with the abuse. It's digusting! She may say she didn't know and that it looked like the new hubby would be a great dad...despite the eery appearances of new bruises and broken legs once he got in the picture...but there is NO doubt in my mind that Raye Dawn suspected her daughter was being abused. She chose to blame it on anyone else or to believe that her daughter was suddently so active and clumsy that she broke bones just being a "kid" but ultimately her child is dead because she ignored all the signs staring her in the face...all because she wanted to keep a man.

pjop
09-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Dang it, have tried posting and lost 2 of them and they were long-ish. So, I'll just say thank for your responses! :rolleyes:

ShowerSinger
10-19-2007, 04:40 PM
speaks for itself
www.youtube.com/v/uWow42TCwzg&autoplay=1

Powerful, and beautiful tribute

White Rain
10-24-2007, 03:30 AM
There is a book out about Kelsey called "A deadly game of tug of war". anyone read it? I saw it on amazon.com

Nocgirl
10-24-2007, 01:00 PM
I have absolutely no interest in reading this book, or buying it. Where are the proceeds going? I hope that jerk off judge who wrote it is not profitting from this girls death. I actually emailed the publisher asking if Judge Key was profiting off this horrible death and never got a response.

DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK. What's the point in reading this? It is a terrible reminder of how the judicial and social system failed this little girl.

pedinurse
10-24-2007, 03:02 PM
I have absolutely no interest in reading this book, or buying it. Where are the proceeds going? I hope that jerk off judge who wrote it is not profitting from this girls death. I actually emailed the publisher asking if Judge Key was profiting off this horrible death and never got a response.

DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK. What's the point in reading this? It is a terrible reminder of how the judicial and social system failed this little girl.

That's rediculous!! I think every penny should go to the father to pay for his couseling... i am sure he has to be suffering.

calidreamin
10-24-2007, 03:39 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

White Rain
10-24-2007, 09:41 PM
well, the book wasn't getting good reviews I can tell you that.

Nocgirl
02-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Does anyone have any updates on this? Did Rae Dawn have her baby? Hopefully her rights are being severed and the baby is being adopted by a loving family.

Bobbisangel
02-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Does anyone have any updates on this? Did Rae Dawn have her baby? Hopefully her rights are being severed and the baby is being adopted by a loving family.

I hope neither family got that baby and like you said...it was adopted by someone who has waited a long time to have a baby.

A JUDGE wrote a book about Kelsey????????????????? WTH?? If anyone was going to write a book it should have been the gramma or daddy. I've never heard of such a thing. Did he/she hold up for the system....no doubt!

Nocgirl
02-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Yes the judge wrote a book on this. It's on Amazon. This case ended his judicial career. I have not read the book but the reviews are not good, it is poorly written. The judge, sadly, does alot of name calling and badmouthing the Briggs family, which contributed to his very poor handling of the case, and the death of a little girl.

staticgirl50
09-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Hey everyone, I have been following this case for some time. It kinda took over my thoughts :confused: Kelsey has a way of haunting you...
I read the book, I have been to both families websites, yet I cant get enough info..All the facts even seem to be clouded.

Bobbisangel
09-08-2008, 01:17 AM
Hey everyone, I have been following this case for some time. It kinda took over my thoughts :confused: Kelsey has a way of haunting you...
I read the book, I have been to both families websites, yet I cant get enough info..All the facts even seem to be clouded.

What was your take on the book? I still can't believe that the judge wrote a book about the case. Probably wanted people to think he was a good guy that just got picked on. In my mind that judge is just another no good judge that holds the lives of people in his hands...someone who should never have ever been put in that position. There seem to be so many of them. I'll bet he doesn't even acknowledge that he played a huge part in beautiful little Kelsey's death. The whole thing is just sickening and a real heartbreaker. Her death haunts me to this day. It never should have happened and wouldn't have if the family had gotten a decent judge who cared about Kelsey.

staticgirl50
09-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Well- The book did not reveal anything I did not already know, but it was interesting to understand it all from his POV. I really can not fault the Judge actually.With what he was given, he made the right choices. The Briggs camp never showed for the last hearing, so his hands really were tied.

No one even knows who Kelsey was with when her leg, then legs were broken. So at this point it was still just unknown, who was doing what.

The judge saw Raye Dawn, following the rules and doing everything to get Kelsey back, then the Briggs were just doing only some of it. I think to the judge it was literally a tug of war. No one really looked at MP often enough, and they should have. Why was the abuse happening so much after he came around?!!! The only fault, I see is that since no one knew WHO it was abusing Kelsey she should have been taken away from ALL involved.

Yet we also see what happens when they do that...Its just so sad.

Bobbisangel
09-09-2008, 03:30 AM
Was Kelsey's dad away in the service when all of this court stuff was taking place?

staticgirl50
09-09-2008, 03:21 PM
I know her father was away, but Grandma Briggs and Grandpa Briggs were there. I personally find it odd how the Briggs versionof the obit mentions, Kelsey loved to bite?????!!!! HUH? Who does that?

OriginalJerseyGirl
09-10-2008, 07:13 PM
I know her father was away, but Grandma Briggs and Grandpa Briggs were there. I personally find it odd how the Briggs versionof the obit mentions, Kelsey loved to bite?????!!!! HUH? Who does that?
I don't recall ever seeing that. Is it here on this thread?

staticgirl50
09-11-2008, 06:35 PM
no its not on here... I forgot where I saw both families obits..I will see If i can dig em up and put a link on here.

OriginalJerseyGirl
09-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Thank you for checking to see if you can find it.

jnTexas
09-03-2009, 03:20 PM
I just received this on facebook and it is heart wrenching.

thought i would share.

http://media.causes.com/544740?p_id=75935862

mysterygirl
09-16-2009, 02:33 PM
I just received this on facebook and it is heart wrenching.

thought i would share.

http://media.causes.com/544740?p_id=75935862

That video made me physically ill. Stomach in knots. Chronicles her whole short little life in pictures. Cried the entire time. RIP little angel.

There is pure evil in this world and it never senses to stun me.

easttexas
09-19-2009, 12:18 AM
That video made me physically ill. Stomach in knots. Chronicles her whole short little life in pictures. Cried the entire time. RIP little angel.

There is pure evil in this world and it never senses to stun me.

Me too. MG...not sure that video points to the truth. Lots of people pointing fingers in this. Very disturbing none the less, a child, a precious child was murdered by people who God entrusted them with..EVIL yes...

Brwnigirl
11-07-2009, 04:19 AM
Just found out about this case? Can someone give me an update, is the mother in jail?
Was the first husband abusive?

mysterygirl
11-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Just found out about this case? Can someone give me an update, is the mother in jail?
Was the first husband abusive?

I'm going on memory here but I am pretty sure the mom is in jail and the first husband......debatable.

MonaSuzy
11-29-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure if anyone is still reading about this adorable little girl but if you are please research both sides of this case before you make your minds up about who is at fault.:waitasec:

mysterygirl
11-29-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm not sure if anyone is still reading about this adorable little girl but if you are please research both sides of this case before you make your minds up about who is at fault.:waitasec:

Why do you know of someone else who beat and killed her?

Nocgirl
12-06-2009, 02:23 AM
This case is disgusting and one of the reasons I became a CASA. I am not sure of the Why Mona would make a comment like that. I can only guess that she is a supporter of Rae Dawn's family. The facts of the case are clear:

1) The child was abused and killed while in Rae Dawn's care
2) Raw Dawn knew her creepy husband was abusing the girl and yet still left the child alone with him
3) the judge also is partially responsibly for this girls death. Because he portayed Lance Briggs family as white trash and he an absent father, then the child must be returned to mom even though there is obvious abuse in the home.

Please clarify where i am wrong here. Rae Dawns is right where she belongs and the step-father is going to hell.

intrigued79
09-03-2010, 04:41 PM
I agree with Mona - aren't we supposed to view both sides and made a impartial, educated decision? The mother was under a GAG order and has never had the chance to really tell her side of the story. After you hear what she has to say, you begin to wonder...I don't know who to believe in this horrible story.

This is a site operated by Raye Dawn's family. Of special interest to me was the letter from Raye Dawn to Oklahoma lawmakers.

If you are going to listen/read what the Briggs family has to say, don't you owe the same to the Smith family?

charok
09-03-2010, 06:58 PM
well they are having hearings for raye dawn who wants a new trial!!! in my county no less ..id post the link to my local newspaper, but not sure of copyright rules... kelsey's great grandparents have endured enough and wish this was the last chapter, and not having to go thru ANOTHER trial, at our tax payer's $$$$! so they say in the article... im besides myself...

believe09
09-03-2010, 08:39 PM
well they are having hearings for raye dawn who wants a new trial!!! in my county no less ..id post the link to my local newspaper, but not sure of copyright rules... kelsey's great grandparents have endured enough and wish this was the last chapter, and not having to go thru ANOTHER trial, at our tax payer's $$$$! so they say in the article... im besides myself...

Here is the link:
http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/state/kelsey-briggs%27s-mother-asking-for-a-new-trial

FWIW, she is looking for a new trial based upon juror misconduct, not claiming she is innocent...

believe09
09-03-2010, 08:58 PM
OK-I read all of the links. Why shouldnt she be held accountable for the death of her daughter? The agencies were overseeing her care of her child, but at the end of the day she was solely responsible. Kelsey was failed time and time and time again. As far as I can tell, there was not a soul looking out just for her and her well being in a constructive and effective manner.

It was her watch. Porter asked for and received a plea deal. He copped to the same charge as Rae Dawn which makes him brilliant and lucky-but that does not preclude her role in this story.

JMVHO. What a tragedy.

mysterygirl
09-04-2010, 12:18 AM
I just read that Kelsey shared the same case worker as murdered 7 yr. old Aja Johnson.

Her name is Yolanda Hunter. I just thought that was interesting.

Salem
09-04-2010, 12:57 AM
I just read that Kelsey shared the same case worker as murdered 7 yr. old Aja Johnson.

Her name is Yolanda Hunter. I just thought that was interesting.

I sincerely hope she has lost her job by now. :furious:

Salem

mysterygirl
09-04-2010, 01:00 AM

Salem

I don't think that she has!:banghead:

believe09
09-04-2010, 09:00 AM
I agree with Mona - aren't we supposed to view both sides and made a impartial, educated decision? The mother was under a GAG order and has never had the chance to really tell her side of the story. After you hear what she has to say, you begin to wonder...I don't know who to believe in this horrible story.

This is a site operated by Raye Dawn's family. Of special interest to me was the letter from Raye Dawn to Oklahoma lawmakers.

If you are going to listen/read what the Briggs family has to say, don't you owe the same to the Smith family?

Done. I dont see where she is not guilty of what she was charged with. I did read a lot of white noise regarding the abuse of Rae Dawn by the Briggs family and the possibility that Kelsey was abused by the Briggs.

FWIW, Rae Dawn continued to give the Briggs Kelsey even when her child was returned to her unable to walk? With bruising on her ear? As for Porter, how fast did his child share that Porter would abuse Kelsey when Rae Dawn was not around?

Did Rae Dawn not ASK people why her child was constantly injured while she was in other people's care? IMO she was focused on the custody issues to the exclusion of seeing this little being in front of her. This child was raped and sodomized, which was not discovered for MONTHS after she died and she died from a severed pancreas. She was two?

I think she was appropriately charged and convicted. Porter should have been charged with first degree murder. But he lucked out.

mikeysmommom
09-05-2010, 12:06 AM

Salem

They never fire them even after their incompetence kills innocent children they are hired to protect.They cover and protect and lie at least they do here in NJ.

amberjade11
10-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Ever since I saw a video of this tragedy on Myspace this story just broke my heart. My daughter was the same age as Kelsey when she got her collarbone broken and I just couldn't imagine a mother allowing this to happen. To come up with the stupid stories that she did to explain away Kelsey's injuries.

I have researched, read every document, and read both sides and I talked to people on both sides of the fence, as well as people who knew Raye Dawn and Lance Briggs as teenagers, people that lived in Meeker at the time, people related to both families where I have made a lot of good friends and I can honestly say that I believe that it was Raye Dawn that murdered her daughter. But I don't believe that she did it on purpose. I think she lost her temper after Jean Bonner told her that Lance was due home any day, and that he would have unsupervised visits, which she felt was unfair because she hadn't had them in the past.

You see prior to this, Raye had fought to cut out the Briggs family from Kelsey's life, which she succeeded in doing when Lance's wife at the time Ashley filed for divorce and because she had seizures her doctor recommended that she should remain in one home in case she had another one, so her mother could monitor her activity.

The documents in the case are easily accessible, you can get them by going to www.thetruth4kelsey.blogspot.com.

What I think is the most aggravating factor of all is that Kelsey's mother Raye Dawn refuses to take any responsibility for what happened to her daughter. Since then, members of her family have fought to try to get her out of prison, just like they did in June of 2005 when they didn't know all the facts in the child abuse case, when Judge Key went AGAINST DHS recommendation and put Kelsey back into her mother's home. Which, has been revealed that he decided to do before he heard any evidence.

We see all kinds of allegations on the sites promoting freedom for "Kelsey's Mommy" when given the opportunity, she didn't act like a mother at all. We hear that Mike's daughter told her school counselor that she "heard a thump outside the house, so she ran outside to see what it was and saw her father hit Kelsey's head against the wall."

I don't believe that and this is why, first of all, since when can a school counselor question a child that could possibly be a suspect in a murder case? And by law if a child tells a counselor that they, or someone else has been hurt, or is in danger they have to legally notify authorities and there would be a police report. Is there one? No. It is not in any of the documents in the case.

If you hear a noise, then go to find out the source of the noise, it is impossible to SEE the sound being made. And you cannot hear anything being hit against brick. If Kelsey's head were hit against a brick wall, there would of been a bump, bruise, scratch, SOMETHING to show that it had happened, and if Raye Dawn didn't honestly know that her new husband was abusing her daughter then how could she not put 2 and 2 together when she sees a fresh injury on her daughter after being alone with him?

We hear about how "Kelsey was riding with her grandmother Gayla and reached over to turn the radio on and said "I need to hear good music"-well, where can a child of 2 be sitting in a car where she could reach the knob to the radio?

Please, if you do decide to get to the bottom of this story and I hope you do-use logic. And never, ever forget the TRUE victim in this case-which is Kelsey and ONLY Kelsey.

And FYI, Lance was in Iraq, did serve in Operation Iraqi Freedom and at the time of Kelsey's death was in Ft. Benning Georgia awaiting his discharge papers. He was NOT in rehab, but even if he was-he still wasn't the one who abused Kelsey, or killed her.

What they fail to mention on their sites, is how Raye Dawn Smith ADMITTED to doing drugs and drinking while pregnant with Kelsey, driving drunk about a dozen times with Kelsey in the car, and how her son Blaine who was born after Kelsey was murdered was reportedly treated for fetal alcohol syndrome.

RIP Kelsey :angel:

staticgirl50
10-24-2010, 05:50 PM
As someone who also has researched the heck out of this case all I can say for sure is that this beautiful little girl NEVER had a chance. She was surrounded by a bunch of folks who used her as a tool in being mean to each other on both sides of the family. These people on BOTH sides make me wonder if Kelsey was important to any of them? Just makes me sick. This case and Kelsey will forever haunt me. ♥ RIP beautiful child.

believe09
10-24-2010, 05:54 PM
and I can honestly say that I believe that it was Raye Dawn that murdered her daughter. But I don't believe that she did it on purpose. I think she lost her temper after Jean Bonner told her that Lance was due home any day, and that he would have unsupervised visits, which she felt was unfair because she hadn't had them in the past.

Please, if you do decide to get to the bottom of this story and I hope you do-use logic. And never, ever forget the TRUE victim in this case-which is Kelsey and ONLY Kelsey.

And FYI, Lance was in Iraq, did serve in Operation Iraqi Freedom and at the time of Kelsey's death was in Ft. Benning Georgia awaiting his discharge papers. He was NOT in rehab, but even if he was-he still wasn't the one who abused Kelsey, or killed her.

What they fail to mention on their sites, is how Raye Dawn Smith ADMITTED to doing drugs and drinking while pregnant with Kelsey, driving drunk about a dozen times with Kelsey in the car, and how her son Blaine who was born after Kelsey was murdered was reportedly treated for fetal alcohol syndrome.

RIP Kelsey :angel:

Respectfully snipped and BBM. If there were no other participants in this crime, how is it that Kelsey was raped and sodomized?

charok
10-25-2010, 07:18 AM
if im not mistaken, our county shot down her appeal for new trial( she was saying a juror was biased, checking out website,ect...but YET the kelseys purpose site wasnt up when the trial was going on... ) thank god. our county is WAY away from her area...we're almost in KS for christ sakes... imo she was at very least guilty of enabling the abuse, she just needs to "woman up" and accept responsibilty.

staticgirl50
10-25-2010, 04:23 PM
I sometimes think Raye dawn was just a seriously uniformed person. I think she was concentrating on her hate for Kathy that she missed what Mike was doing. I also think Kathy was so concerned with hurting Raye Dawn she let Mike get away with murder.
Of course these are just my thoughts.

staticgirl50
10-25-2010, 04:24 PM
I don't recall ever seeing that. Is it here on this thread?

For the life of me I can no longer find it. I KNOW I saw it but well it has been awhile. I wish i had bookmarked all the links I was using to follow this case. Sorry.

wfgodot
07-14-2011, 10:36 AM
DHS Worker Connected To Two Toddler Death Cases Dies (http://www.news9.com/story/15079055/dhs-worker-connected-to-two-toddler-death-cases-dies)
---
Police say a family friend found Donald Wheeler's body near a baseball camp in Chandler.

Wheeler was under investigation at the time of his death for apparently not following policy in the Serenity Deal case which may have prevented the five-year-old's murder. He also faced criticism over his role in the Kelsey Smith Briggs case. Kelsey died as a result of child abuse several years ago.
---
Police said it appears to be a suicide but they are still investigating the death.
---
more at news9.com link above

MsFacetious
01-02-2012, 04:20 AM
Random reminder of Kelsey...

My kids got an IPAD for Christmas... for homeschooling.
One of the first things I downloaded was a "Today in History" app.
This will give me several options of history topics to cover without having to have lesson plans.
It has events for that day, births, deaths and holidays.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/today-in-history-ipad-edition/id364186493?mt=8

I about fell over when on December 28th it came up with:

Births:
2002; Kelsey Briggs, American murder victim (d. 2005)

It linked to the Wikipedia page about Kelsey. (Raye Dawn's appeal was denied in February.)

I expected Presidents, politicians, composers, artists, actors... but I was shocked to see Kelsey on there.
I almost started crying. Somebody remembers Kelsey. My daughter was born 6 weeks after Kelsey.

Then again when I came to post this I saw...

January 2:

Births:
2001; Christopher Barrios Jr, American murder victim (d. 2007)

It also told me when Ted Bundy escaped for the second time... this is my kind of app. :seeya:

End of random reminder... :crazy:

Thinker Belle
04-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Kelsey's life was NOT in vain. Her tragic death caused reform to the way Oklahoma deals with cases related to child abuse and neglect. She has likely rescued several other innocent children from the awful world of abuse. Today, April 28th, is actually Kelsey Briggs day declared by Oklahoma state Capitol.

Kelsey will never be forgotten. Her death serves as a painful reminder that child abuse is REAL and we all have the power to do something to stop it.

Thinker Belle
04-30-2012, 01:07 AM
My name is Kelsey

My name is Kelsey, I’m only two.
I’m way too young to know right from wrong,
I can barely sing a children’s song.
When you hurt me, why can’t you see,
I don’t understand, I’m not even three.
I try to walk, “can’t”.
My little body’s black and blue
and now you have taken my family too.
I love my daddy and he loves me,
Grandma, PaPa, where can you be?
I don’t forget, I think of you
and when I’m hurt, your love shines through.
It’s dark in here, I can’t go on------No!
Wait there’s light, an angel’s song.
I feel God’s hand lift me away:
he has the perfect place to play.
I know you hurt, I see your tears,
but only God knows why I’m here.
Daddy, I’m okay, my body’s new
and I will never, ever forget you.
My name was Kelsey.

Written by Connie Mathews

RIP Angel...

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/sara-x2/kelsey%20briggs/Kelsey113.jpg

BeantownGirl
10-18-2012, 09:22 AM
This is my first post, but I couldn't think of a better place for it to be than in this thread. When I first heard about this case, my heart simply broke into a million pieces. I cried..sobbed for this poor little baby. I just will never..NEVER...understand how ANYONE can hurt a defenseless child...it sickens me!! I am glad that Raye Dawn & MP are in jail! They deserve much worse, IMO.

Anyway, I don't know if any of you have read the book "Who Killed Kelsey?" but I just have to say, I think it's a wonderfully written book & I cried the whole time. I just wish it was a book that never had to be written.

I wish there was something I could do for this poor family, but seeing as I live on the East Coast & am nowhere close to Oklahoma, I will just pray that they someday find some sort of peace.

Just wanted to thrown my 2 cents in on this sad case.

RIP Beautiful Angel