PDA

View Full Version : WV WV - Clarence Theodore Moore, 26, Fort Riley, 1956

Richard
04-05-2006, 10:58 AM
50 Years Ago:
---------------------------------------
Clarence Theodore Moore
Missing since 1956 from Fort Riley, Barbour County, West Virginia.
Classification: Missing
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: April 11, 1930
Age at Time of Disappearance: 26 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"-5'9" (174-177 cm.); 160-165 lbs. (73-75 kg.)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Dark brown hair; blue eyes.
Other: Service No. US 55-534-150.

Circumstances of Disappearance

In 1956, Clarence's wife received a letter from the Chaplin at Fort Riley, Kansas stating Clarence may have went AWOL and headed toward Canada. Clarence was last stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas 1956, 16th Infantry. All child allotment checks were stopped. Since he was presumed AWOL, the FBI was involved and they could not turn to law enforcement.

There has not been any activity on Moore's Social Security number since 1956. His daughter said she had proof that her father was in the Fort Riley area after his initial disappearance, but the information has never been confirmed. Moore's case remains unsolved.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
FBI - Washington, D. C. Office 202-324-3000

Source Information:
The family of Clarence Moore
The Charley Project
The Doe Network: Case File 639DMWV

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/639dmwv.html (http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/639dmwv.html)

Stella
04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Is this the man whose daughter believes he is working undercover for the government? I saw something like this on "Unsolved Mysteries" years ago.

Richard
04-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Is this the man whose daughter believes he is working undercover for the government? I saw something like this on "Unsolved Mysteries" years ago.
The short answer is "I don't know". I am not familiar with the particular show that you are referring to. This man was married with child/children.

It would be unlikely, however, that the US government would have staged a "disappearance" of this nature with the purpose of putting the man in an undercover assignment. Obviously, questions would be asked, the family would be looking for him, perhaps posting his photo everywhere - and that would be counterproductive to any "undercover" assignments.

Unfortunately, this man will be forever branded a "deserter" by the Army in the absense of any information to the contrary. It is sort of the opposite of being presumed innocent until proven guilty. When a military service member disappears, for any reason other than official Missing In Action (MIA), he/she is declared Absent Without Official Leave (AWOL) or Unauthorized Absence (UA). After 30 days with no contact or information, the servicemember is declared a deserter and reported to the FBI and placed on a wanted list. After 60 days, his/her Service Records are sent to St. Louis, MO for archival.

In such cases, all pay and allowances immediately stop for the family, they are expelled from any government base or housing, and receive no death benefits or SGLI (Insurance) payments. The government does very little to attempt to locate the missing servicemember, and often hampers other police agencies or individuals from pursuing the case.

Kat
05-12-2010, 03:56 PM
http://www.governmentattic.org/docs/FOIA_Logs_NARA_1999-2004.pdf

In this FOIA log, and if this is the same Clarence Theodore Moore (it may or may not be) the request for military records was denied.

If it was a request for the person in this thread, my advice to those that may be requesting his information is to follow the directions from this link:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html

Your request must contain certain basic information for us to locate your service records. This information includes:

•The veteran's complete name used while in service
•Service number
•Social security number
•Branch of service
•Dates of service
•Date and place of birth (especially if the service number is not known).
•If you suspect your records may have been involved in the 1973 fire, also include:
◦Place of discharge
◦Last unit of assignment
◦Place of entry into the service, if known.
•All requests must be signed and dated by the veteran or next-of-kin.
•If you are the next of kin of a deceased veteran, you must provide proof of death of the veteran such as a copy of death certificate, letter from funeral home, or published obituary.

Please note the part I bolded. It is not that the military does not want to release these records it is 1. They have millions and millions of records and they recieve millions of requests for various pieces of information under the FOIA every year. They must ascertain the records you seek are the exact record they are going to release to you.

2. They are bound by regulation and rules. The recieving officer or NCO can't make a determination on the case presented unless they follow all R&R. Writing a letter to explain and/or plead your an exception for release in your case will not effect the outcome if the R&R contradict them from doing so. The person revieving your request could be reprimanded if regulations are not followed. JFYI.

My advice:

If this man has not been declared legally deceased by the court system. Given the amount of time that has passed, I would strongly encourage family members to take this step.

Once that step has been completed. Reapply for information under the FOIA. You should get what is available (that would be a short summery of the soldier's time in service usually).

ETA: There will not be notes from any investigative agency within the military if there was even an investigation.

Kat
05-12-2010, 04:05 PM
I wanted to add this for those that in the future may seek records for parents/family members the above advice I have given is for those that have missing/awol on domestic soil.

Richard
04-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Clarence Theodore Moore, 26, Missing since 1956 from Fort Riley, KS

Clarence Theodore Moore
Missing since 1956 from Fort Riley, Geary County, Kansas.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: April 11, 1930
Age at Time of Disappearance: 26 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"-5'9" (174-177 cm.); 160-165 lbs. (73-75 kg.)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Dark brown hair; blue eyes.
Other: Service No. US 55-534-150.

Circumstances of Disappearance

In 1956, Clarence's wife received a letter from the Chaplin at Fort Riley, Kansas stating Clarence may have went AWOL and headed toward Canada. Clarence was last stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas 1956, 16th Infantry.

His family resided in Barbour County, West Virginia at the time. All child allotment checks were stopped. Since he was presumed AWOL, the FBI was involved and they could not turn to law enforcement.

There has not been any activity on Moore's Social Security number since 1956.

His daughter said she had proof that her father was in the Fort Riley area after his initial disappearance, but the information has never been confirmed.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

FBI - Washington, D. C. Office
202-324-3000

Source Information

The family of Clarence Moore
The Charley Project
The Doe Network: Case File 639DMWV

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/639dmwv.html