PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth Smart Kidnapper Barzee Found Incompetent

alpharee
01-10-2004, 01:24 AM
SALT LAKE CITY (Reuters) - One of Utah teenager Elizabeth Smart's kidnappers who held her captive for nine months under terrible conditions on Friday was ruled mentally incompetent to stand trial.

More can be read here (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040109/us_nm/crime_smart_dc_5)

Maybe he brainwashed her as well. I still say she should stand trial for all the hell they put that little girl thru. Mentally ill or not. I think they knew right from wrong or they wouldn't have concealed her like they did.

MrsMush99
01-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Maybe he brainwashed her as well. I still say she should stand trial for all the hell they put that little girl thru. Mentally ill or not. I think they knew right from wrong or they wouldn't have concealed her like they did.

I totally agree. She wouldn't have been threatened that her family was going to be killed if she asked for help. This makes me so angry. Hiding out in the woods and chaining her to her tree for, what was it? Three months? Hopefully, Brian David Mitchell will not be found incompetent.

blueclouds
01-10-2004, 10:50 PM
I cannot believe that Ed Smart said that Elizabeth would be better of in the long run if both were committed. To me, they DON'T WANT these people punished. I would want nothing but justice for my child.

Also, I think Wanda is very smart. I don't buy that she's incompetent. If all she says is "it's Gods choice, it's Gods way, it's our right..." Well, I could come up with those phrases too. It's not like she didn't know she was speaking to a psychologist. Don't buy it.

Moab
03-12-2004, 06:27 PM
One Year Anniversary of Elizabeth Smart's Return Home

Here's a link from a newspaper in SCL on the one year after the rescue of Elizabeth Smart. http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Mar/03122004/utah/147010.asp

Here's another SLC paper on one year since end of kidnapping.
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595048479,00.html

Columnist Lee Benson speaks out on one year after along with former SLC detective Cory Lyman. Seems most LE believes that case is kidnapping as Lyman & Dave Smart have been invited to speak at a police chiefs association in June. Excellent article.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595048464,00.html

Toth
03-12-2004, 11:47 PM
If she was capable of understanding she was in a park and had to keep their captive from ever being alone, then she can understand that she is in a courtroom and has to assist her counsel in her defense.

Moab
03-12-2004, 11:57 PM
No argument from me on that one, but to assist in her own defense, she would first have to admit she was wrong.

mindys
03-13-2004, 12:27 AM
It is just as wonderful remembering that day now as when it happened. Where would she be today if those citizens had not called in after seeing them, would she be a pregnant teenage Mom, feeling she could never go back?? Thankfully we will NEVER know.

God Bless Her and her family. ENJOY YOUR LIFE ELIZABETH!

Texas Mist
11-17-2009, 12:56 PM
<snip>

CNN) -- A woman accused with her husband of kidnapping Utah teenager Elizabeth Smart in 2002 is set to plead guilty in federal court Tuesday under terms of a plea deal reached with prosecutors, according to court documents.

Wanda Eileen Barzee, 64, is charged with kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor with intent to engage in criminal sexual activity, according to a 2008 indictment that a federal grand jury returned against her.

The terms of her plea agreement have not been made public and will not be until the agreement is executed in court, said Melodie Rydalch, spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office for Utah.

more here http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/17/smart.plea/index.html

OneLostGrl
11-17-2009, 04:15 PM
<snip>

CNN) -- A woman accused with her husband of kidnapping Utah teenager Elizabeth Smart in 2002 is set to plead guilty in federal court Tuesday under terms of a plea deal reached with prosecutors, according to court documents.

Wanda Eileen Barzee, 64, is charged with kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor with intent to engage in criminal sexual activity, according to a 2008 indictment that a federal grand jury returned against her.

The terms of her plea agreement have not been made public and will not be until the agreement is executed in court, said Melodie Rydalch, spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office for Utah.

more here http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/17/smart.plea/index.html

So where is she going to be held now, I wonder? Will she stay at the State Hospital or will she be moved to the prison seeing how she is (medicated) sane? I would like to know if where she is held is part of the plea agreement... I suspect it is. And ya know what else? The terms will never be made public because it'll never be executed in court- they will keep claiming this dude is insane. This agreement is a joke, who is she gonna testify against if there is never a trial?

MeoW333
11-17-2009, 04:27 PM
So where is she going to be held now, I wonder? Will she stay at the State Hospital or will she be moved to the prison seeing how she is (medicated) sane? I would like to know if where she is held is part of the plea agreement... I suspect it is. And ya know what else? The terms will never be made public because it'll never be executed in court- they will keep claiming this dude is insane. This agreement is a joke, who is she gonna testify against if there is never a trial?

From what i understand (this may vary state to state) is that she was held at the state hospital (which may be a barbed wire max security state forensic type hospital; until she was found competent to stand trial, which took years).
It is very important she testify against Mitchell, which is why i think they had in the state hospital for years, normally in that case of being mentally incompetent for years, i would think she would serve out her time in the state hospital and be found guilty by mental disease or defect (insanity).

However in this case, the importance of her testimony against Mitchell is needed, so now that she has finally been competent to stand trial, i would think that any time given to her would be served in a state prison.

If the crime she commited wasn't high profile and say she had done something like murder someone, assault, arson (pretty much something that wasn't a high profile case) I would think she would most likely be found not guilty by reason of insanity and serve out the time in the state hospital (assuming it is a forensic hospital completely and not a regular "civil hospital".

OneLostGrl
11-17-2009, 08:54 PM
From what i understand (this may vary state to state) is that she was held at the state hospital (which may be a barbed wire max security state forensic type hospital; until she was found competent to stand trial, which took years).
It is very important she testify against Mitchell, which is why i think they had in the state hospital for years, normally in that case of being mentally incompetent for years, i would think she would serve out her time in the state hospital and be found guilty by mental disease or defect (insanity).

However in this case, the importance of her testimony against Mitchell is needed, so now that she has finally been competent to stand trial, i would think that any time given to her would be served in a state prison.

If the crime she commited wasn't high profile and say she had done something like murder someone, assault, arson (pretty much something that wasn't a high profile case) I would think she would most likely be found not guilty by reason of insanity and serve out the time in the state hospital (assuming it is a forensic hospital completely and not a regular "civil hospital".

So he has been found fit to stand trial?

I'm not up to date with this case, I'm sorry

SuziQ
11-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Daughter calls Barzee's plea deal, apology ‘an act'
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8726616

(snip)

"The term ‘mother,' I don't know if I can give her that title," she says. Her daughter says, growing up, Barzee was emotionally abusive. She also says Barzee sexually abused at least one of her five siblings, although that was never reported to police.
"She was one that would brainwash us for two to three hours a day. She would lock up food," Barzee's daughter says.

MeoW333
11-19-2009, 02:03 AM
So he has been found fit to stand trial?

I'm not up to date with this case, I'm sorry

Not sure about him, i just jumped in to try and help answer about her, i guess it would all depend on whether or not his defense attorney is trying for an insanity plea, which i would guess he is.
However Mitchell would have to prove or fake that his mental illness played an a part in him not knowing right from wrong, which i don't see happening..

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_13802306

"A psychiatrist will be allowed to say self-proclaimed prophet Brian David Mitchell is faking psychological symptoms to dodge responsibility for his crimes, including the Elizabeth Smart abduction."