PDA

View Full Version : Music teacher accused of having sex with boy, 11

Casshew
01-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Music teacher accused of having sex with boy, 11

A Boynton Beach music teacher seduced one of her 11-year-old students and carried on a 19-month sexual relationship with him until the boy's stepmother stumbled upon evidence of their escapades Tuesday, authorities said.

The student grew close to Carol Flannigan, a 49-year-old teacher at Rolling Green Elementary, after taking her music class in 2002. The teacher befriended his family, eventually inviting him and his two younger brothers to sleepovers at her Boca Raton home, sheriff's officials say.

Investigators said the boy, now a 13-year-old middle school student, told them the first sexual encounter took place in Flannigan's bedroom in June 2002. Since then, he reportedly told authorities, the two have had several sexual encounters -- at places ranging from her home to John Prince Park to a remote area in the Lantana airport parking lot.

Flannigan, who has taught at Rolling Green Elementary since 1994, was arrested Wednesday afternoon on six charges stemming from their alleged relationship, including two counts of capital sexual battery on a child under 12.

She called in sick to school Wednesday and was arrested at her sister's home in Jupiter. She was being held Wednesday night in the county jail and likely will be placed on paid leave pending the outcome of the criminal investigation.

"We can't take any punitive administrative steps until the case runs its course," Palm Beach County School District spokesman Nat Harrington said. "We have no indication that anyone in her school was affected by the allegation at this point."

A letter is going home to Rolling Green Elementary parents to explain Flannigan's arrest and alert them that an investigation is under way.

Flannigan has been married nearly 19 years and has a 16-year-old son. In February 2003, Flannigan's husband, Douglas DePue, filed for divorce, though he said Wednesday night that the divorce was unrelated to her alleged relationship with a former student.

He said they still live in the same house together, and that he was saddened to see her in legal trouble.

"I filed for divorce," he said, "but I care about her well-being."

He declined to discuss details of his wife's relationships with her students, saying, "I really don't know much about my wife's activities at all."

But it was the concerns that DePue shared with his marriage therapist in late 2002 that prompted Boca Raton police and the state Department of Children and Families to investigate her relationship with one of her students.

DePue, 51, told police in December 2002 that Flannigan had told him about the feelings she had when she kissed a 12-year-old who often slept over at their home with his two brothers. He said he was jealous of the attention Flannigan gave to the boys, and that she spent more time with them than with him, according to a Boca Raton police report.

It appeared that the boy in question was the same one whom sheriff's officials now say has admitted to having sex with Flannigan, but law enforcement officials could not confirm that Wednesday.

A DCF investigator interviewed the children that December. The children said they slept over at Flannigan's house but never with her, and that she had kissed them but not inappropriately, according to the report.

The 12-year-old boy told an investigator "that he has 'tap kissed' Flannigan on the lips but that he did not feel uncomfortable," according to the report.

DCF and police concluded there was no indication of sexual abuse or inappropriate touching and closed the case, the report stated.

Investigators say Flannigan's alleged sexual relations with a student were finally exposed Tuesday when the boy's stepmother noticed text messages on the boy's cellphone between the two that had a sexual overtone.

She alerted school district officials, who then asked the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office to investigate.

After interviewing the boy, investigators listened in on a phone call the boy made to Flannigan.
Full Story from the Palm Beach Post (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/auto/epaper/editions/thursday/news_f3cf0e729625f1090068.html)

deb_thang
01-12-2004, 12:01 AM
So there are still parents out there dumb enough to let their children sleep over at their teachers' homes and at Michael Jackson's pad... :confused:

alpharee
01-12-2004, 12:38 AM
So there are still parents out there dumb enough to let their children sleep over at their teachers' homes and at Michael Jackson's pad... :confused:
How in hell can an adult have a sexual interest in a child???
makes ya sick, don't it?:sick:

Mimi
01-12-2004, 09:16 AM
This truly disgusts me......what was she thinking? Makes me want to take my ten-year old son and my seven-year old daughter and home school them!

MiMi

cole
01-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Shades of Mary Kay Letourneau.

Casshew
01-12-2004, 07:50 PM
I was talking to my nephew tonight - he is 12...

he said that having sex with a hot teacher is every boys dream and he didn't see it as sexual abuse or assult... not in the same light as say a male teacher forcing a boy into sex acts...etc...

Please don't shoot the messenger!!! I think she is a criminal and is a sick woman... this is just from a kids perspecitive!

Puca
01-13-2004, 04:54 PM
Time will tell us if Carol Flannigan, the music teacher, is guilty or not.
I would like to take this opportunity to say that I am so glad I did not take up teaching as a profession! All that it takes today is an accusation by a student that a sexual advance was made, and your career and reputation are shot; even if proven innocent. :banghead: