PDA

View Full Version : NY - Joel Steinberg convicted of 1987 murder of Lisa Steinberg

Doyle
01-16-2004, 05:33 AM
Joel Steinberg (search), the disbarred lawyer imprisoned for the 1987 beating death of his illegally adopted daughter, was denied parole Thursday for the fifth time.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,108515,00.html

background.
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/family/lisa_steinberg/1.html

in memory of Lisa
http://www.racheljoyscott.net/lisa_steinberg/

mindys
01-16-2004, 08:42 AM
YES! I am so glad, I knew his hearing was coming up. Good News.

alpharee
01-16-2004, 09:52 AM
Parole shouldn't even be an option for him. This whole parole thing needs to be stopped. If you are sentenced to 20 years, you serve 20, etc.

MrsMush99
01-16-2004, 10:25 AM
YES!!!! :woohoo:

I think this was the first case I every followed. What a sick sick man.

Anyway, the little boy that also lived with them is now a senior in HS. A friend of mine is friends with this family's cousin. Anyway, I was just asking her about him yesterday, because she also knows someone else who was in the news. I'm going to be posting a thread on it. Anyway, she said that he is very aware of Lisa and what happened. He is a wonderful normal kid. He is with his birth parents.

Hammerized
01-16-2004, 02:03 PM
He is a wonderful normal kid. He is with his birth parents.Thanks! It's SO good to hear that. I've always wondered about him, and no case updates through the years really mentioned him.

Old Broad
01-16-2004, 02:39 PM
I agree 100% no chance for parole. Why release evil, isn't that why we have prisons in the first place?

mindys
01-16-2004, 03:32 PM
The bad news is, he is scheduled to be released anyway, June 30th.

gardenmom
01-16-2004, 04:52 PM
I think this was the first case I can remember me really "knowing" about child abuse. Before that I thought it just happened to poor, uneducated people. Plus, I was only 19 and never had to know about such things, luckily. I feel cheated that the mom wasn't convicted. I remember thinking she was also to blame.

Doyle
01-17-2004, 06:11 AM
After 16 years behind bars, infamous child killer Joel Steinberg will be freed in June, even though members of the state Parole Board said yesterday he should stay in prison.
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/155554p-136611c.html

blueclouds
06-28-2004, 01:47 PM
Geesh, beating a child to death... and over a long period of time isn't "that bad" in the eyes of the justice system I guess.

I hope he gets what's coming.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/26454.htm

VespaElf
06-28-2004, 03:12 PM
I saw this on CNN this morning and was disgusted.He is a child molester AND a killer and he's getting out of prison??? I just dont understand!

jat
06-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Oh gosh, I am just sick to my stomach to think this monster is getting out of prison. I guess I am really surprised that the other prisoners didn't do him in while in jail. Too bad it doesn't happen more often.

Chanel
06-28-2004, 09:51 PM
Total miscarriage of justice here. I can not believe they would let this killer out of prison. What are they thinking? I always thought that Hedda should have gone to prison with him She did nothing to stop Steinberg from killing Lisa. I used to belong to a gym that Nussbaum belonged and many times she would be on the treadmill next to me and every time I couldn't help but look at her with disgust wondering how she could live with herself, and she knew it. I could tell she probably got alot of that through the years and rightfully so IMO. Now Steinberg walks as a free man soon. Poor little Lisa, I will never forget her face.
I am disgusted with the justice system.

Arielle
06-29-2004, 10:00 AM
And people thought Darnay Hoffman was the answer to the Ramsey case. I'm sorry, but I don't think so.

Doyle
07-06-2004, 05:22 AM
Child-killer Joel Steinberg returned to the city yesterday with his bushy mustache, beady eyes and reputation as a monster all still intact.
But the notorious criminal also wore a new expression - fear.

The domineering ex-lawyer looked rattled by his wild limousine ride to freedom and the crush of media and protesters that greeted him at Fortune Academy, the Harlem halfway house where he will live.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/story/208020p-179356c.html

Sadistic child-slayer Joel Steinberg sauntered out of an upstate prison in style yesterday, sliding into a chauffeured stretch limo that broke speed limits and wove wildly through traffic as it raced back to New York City with a mass of media in hot pursuit.
When the worn and graying Steinberg, 63, arrived in Manhattan yesterday afternoon, he immediately was taken to the West Harlem headquarters of the Fortune Society, a prisoner-rehabilitation group, where he is expected to stay as he is counseled about re-entry into society after serving nearly 17 years for fatally beating his illegally adopted 6-year-old daughter, Lisa.
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/24207.htm

Jeana (DP)
07-06-2004, 12:41 PM
The entire system failed that poor little girl. While I would hate for any other person to be involved in anything having to do with this monster, I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep if someone took care of him. :bang:

blueclouds
08-10-2004, 01:52 AM
:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/crime/nyc-joel0810,0,7013458.story?coll=nyc-homepage-headlines

THAT'S JUST GREAT, JUST GREAT. SO WHERE DOES THE FREAK SHOW GO NOW????? HIS LAWYERS' GONNA HIDE HIM IN A LUXURY PENTHOUSE NO DOUBT. This makes me furious. Now we don't know where this SOB is gonna be.

I've always said, I'd rather know of a child molster that lives next door THAN NOT KNOW.

Knowing where these SOBS are helps the public. :furious: :furious: :furious:

LovelyPigeon
08-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Steinberg's in a Manhattan location now, according to his lawyer, Darnay Hoffman. More than likely it's another halfway house, since that's probably a condition of his release.

He was tossed out for giving an interview to New York magazine, which was against the rules of the halfway house where he was staying.

He had been hired on release from prison as an $250-per-week "intern" for a tabloid-style, cable TV show in New York called "New York Confidential." I don't know if the intern job actually came through, but it sounds like something Hoffman would arrange.

I think part of whatever income he makes has to be given to his victim's biological mother, who won a civil suit against the City of New York and Steinberg.

amandab
08-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Hey all-

I have a copy of "What Lisa Knew" by Joyce Johnson that I'll mail out to a fellow WS'er - just PM me and let me know...

-Amanda

amandab
08-11-2004, 07:47 AM
Hi everyone-

Just wanted to let you know that the book has been taken - thanks!

WasBlind
09-29-2004, 07:44 AM
Bump

for "What Lisa Knew"

Jeana (DP)
09-29-2004, 10:56 AM
I seriously don't see anyone putting him up in any fancy hotel or the hotel even letting him stay if he could afford to pay. If they can't find anywhere for him to stay, he'll have to go back to prison. Maybe its what should happen.

cherub
10-03-2004, 03:43 PM
i dispise that jerk :furious:

Marie
10-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Joel Steinberg's twisted logic prevails (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/2007/10/12/2007-10-12_joel_steinbergs_twisted_logic_prevails.html)

The legal logic of twisted child killer Joel Steinberg makes perfect sense to the state's highest court.

Steinberg won a partial victory Thursday when the Court of Appeals cut $5 million from the wrongful-death bill he was handed for fatally beating his "adopted" 6-year-old daughter.

In a unanimous decision, the court agreed that Steinberg - a disbarred lawyer still on parole - couldn't be held liable for abuse inflicted on Lisa Steinberg before her death in 1987.

The ruling lets Steinberg, 66, off the hook for a third of the $15million judgment won by Lisa's biological mom from a negligence case she filed after his 1989 criminal conviction.

Yesterday, he refused to come to the door of his Harlem apartment to discuss the case.

"Read the brief," he said grumpily over the intercom when asked for his reaction. "It speaks for itself."

In his brief, he denied Lisa was abused, insisting she was a "very happy, well-adjusted, bright, socialized, popular child." He also praised his own fathering skills, claiming he served as a "responsible parent" who "took her everywhere" with him.

Steinberg had gotten Lisa as a days-old infant from her mother, Michele Launders, then an unwed Long Island teen who paid him $500 in legal fees to arrange an adoption. Instead, Steinberg took the baby home to Hedda Nussbaum, his live-in companion.

More at link.

gooniequeen
10-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Geesh, beating a child to death... and over a long period of time isn't "that bad" in the eyes of the justice system I guess.

I hope he gets what's coming.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/26454.htm

OMG! i LIVED this trial! Hedda Nussbaum became my neighbor several years after Lisa's death.

I cant believe someone has killed this animal yet.

believe09
10-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Joel Steinberg's twisted logic prevails (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/2007/10/12/2007-10-12_joel_steinbergs_twisted_logic_prevails.html)

The legal logic of twisted child killer Joel Steinberg makes perfect sense to the state's highest court.

Steinberg won a partial victory Thursday when the Court of Appeals cut $5 million from the wrongful-death bill he was handed for fatally beating his "adopted" 6-year-old daughter.

In a unanimous decision, the court agreed that Steinberg - a disbarred lawyer still on parole - couldn't be held liable for abuse inflicted on Lisa Steinberg before her death in 1987.

The ruling lets Steinberg, 66, off the hook for a third of the $15million judgment won by Lisa's biological mom from a negligence case she filed after his 1989 criminal conviction.

Yesterday, he refused to come to the door of his Harlem apartment to discuss the case.

"Read the brief," he said grumpily over the intercom when asked for his reaction. "It speaks for itself."

In his brief, he denied Lisa was abused, insisting she was a "very happy, well-adjusted, bright, socialized, popular child." He also praised his own fathering skills, claiming he served as a "responsible parent" who "took her everywhere" with him.

Steinberg had gotten Lisa as a days-old infant from her mother, Michele Launders, then an unwed Long Island teen who paid him $500 in legal fees to arrange an adoption. Instead, Steinberg took the baby home to Hedda Nussbaum, his live-in companion.

More at link.

Let me just wrap my brain around this for a bit...he ended the life of an innocent child by brutalizing her over a period of months/years and also re arranged the face of his live in lover at will. Yet he was an admirable parent. Clearly he is not rehabilitated-his brief represents this...am I wrong?:behindbar

tiredblondy
10-13-2007, 10:21 PM
OMG! i LIVED this trial! Hedda Nussbaum became my neighbor several years after Lisa's death.
I cant believe someone has killed this animal yet.

So did I. I can't believe this. What happened? He is pure EVIL.

gooniequeen
10-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Sadly the real crime took place way before he murdered her and i think those CPS workers should have been serving time side by side with that animal.

TB -are you originally from NY?

Taximom
10-13-2007, 10:52 PM
This totally sucks. I can still see images of that sweet little girl in my head from this case. I hope he's haunted by her and dies alone, poor and painfully slow.

We have a children's book around here edited by Hedda. When I saw that I got goosebumps.

Al_B
10-13-2007, 10:55 PM
This is terrible,this makes me want to cry again for that poor little girl.

CaliKid
10-13-2007, 11:15 PM
He should NEVER have been allowed out of jail. Sick freak!

Al_B
10-13-2007, 11:23 PM
how did he mange it any way with the illegal adoption of her and her little brother,the drugs and her murder manage this? sorry to repost but I am confused I guess I should have paid better attention the past

Squishified
10-13-2007, 11:37 PM
I will NEVER forget this case. I was still living in NY at that time. The photo of Lisa sitting in her classroom haunts me to this day. She looks so sad in that picture. :(

Peter Hamilton
10-13-2007, 11:47 PM
I will NEVER forget this case. I was still living in NY at that time. The photo of Lisa sitting in her classroom haunts me to this day. She looks so sad in that picture. :(--that picture of her has haunted me also since I first saw it in 1989--she was going thru hell then--Steinberg,heavy into cocaine,beat both Hedda and her constantly--He said what drove him nuts was that Lisa would always stare at him--too bad nobody in prison took this pig out

Al_B
10-13-2007, 11:49 PM
--that picture of her has haunted me also since I first saw it in 1989--she was going thru hell then--Steinberg,heavy into cocaine,beat both Hedda and her constantly--He said what drove him nuts was that Lisa would always stare at him--too bad nobody in prison took this pig out
he probably had to be seperated from the gp or put in the special needs unit or what ever it's called

Peter Hamilton
10-13-2007, 11:54 PM
He should NEVER have been allowed out of jail. Sick freak!--agree--but that's the fault of the liberal NYC justice system--If he had done this down here in Florida, he never would have seen the light of day-life in prison w/o parole or maybe execution--We know what to do with monsters like this who rob kids of 70 or 80 years of their lives

Peter Hamilton
10-13-2007, 11:59 PM
he probably had to be seperated from the gp or put in the special needs unit or what ever it's called--Oh yes,of course--high-profile killers like Mark David Chapman and the Son Of Sam are also "protected'--well, at least Jeffrey Dahmer got taken out,that was most gratifying,especially to the victims' families I'm sure

Al_B
10-14-2007, 12:07 AM
guess that's the difference between Wisconsin and New York. IDK I say toss them all in gp because they need to learn how to socialize if ya know what I mean and I am not encouraging murder,cause that wouldn't be right, but, whatever happens well happens

gooniequeen
10-14-2007, 08:10 AM
--agree--but that's the fault of the liberal NYC justice system--If he had done this down here in Florida, he never would have seen the light of day-life in prison w/o parole or maybe execution--We know what to do with monsters like this who rob kids of 70 or 80 years of their lives

Amen brother! I'm glad someone said it.

imthemom
10-14-2007, 11:30 AM
I will NEVER forget this case. I was still living in NY at that time. The photo of Lisa sitting in her classroom haunts me to this day. She looks so sad in that picture. :(

I read the book about this case and that is the one picture that haunts me too. She looks so dirty and withdrawn. All the other kids had costumes that day but poor Lisa. That pictures makes me hurt for her every time I see it. He should have got the death penalty.

Squishified
10-14-2007, 11:56 AM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/Squishified1/lisa1.jpg Here is a somewhat happier picture of Lisa. Thank God her little brother made it out alive.

Jeana (DP)
10-14-2007, 11:59 AM
--that picture of her has haunted me also since I first saw it in 1989--she was going thru hell then--Steinberg,heavy into cocaine,beat both Hedda and her constantly--He said what drove him nuts was that Lisa would always stare at him--too bad nobody in prison took this pig out

Hedda is the first one who should have taken him out. I'll never understand how she allowed this to happen.

gooniequeen
10-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Hedda is the first one who should have taken him out. I'll never understand how she allowed this to happen.

Yes she was pretty much the most hated woman of NYC back in the 80s (running neck and neck with Leonna Helmsley) But I guess since I've never been a victim of the type of abuse she sustained I cannot second guess her actions.

Just a crying shame.

Jeana (DP)
10-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Yes she was pretty much the most hated woman of NYC back in the 80s (running neck and neck with Leonna Helmsley) But I guess since I've never been a victim of the type of abuse she sustained I cannot second guess her actions.

Just a crying shame.

I understand. I lived with an abusive husband, but not for long. I just feel that if a woman wants to put up with it, that's her problem. Once the kids are involved, she needs to step up and protect them, even at the cost of her own life. Just my opinion!!!:twocents:

Squishified
10-14-2007, 12:24 PM
I understand. I lived with an abusive husband, but not for long. I just feel that if a woman wants to put up with it, that's her problem. Once the kids are involved, she needs to step up and protect them, even at the cost of her own life. Just my opinion!!!:twocents:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mr. E
10-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Our legal system never ceases to amaze me. This man's ego is so bloated, he denies abusing his child. Yet he hit her hard enough to kill her, then went out to dinner, then free-based with Hedda while the child lay dying on the floor. And he's out of prison???

He claims he was a good father. If I recall, the baby was sitting in a playpen full of filth, his bottle filled with spoiled milk, the baby tied so he couldn't get out? I can't remember, but whatever the conditions of the apartment were, they were basically inhabitable.

Joel Steinberg should never, never have gotten out of prison. Ever.

believe09
10-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Our legal system never ceases to amaze me. This man's ego is so bloated, he denies abusing his child. Yet he hit her hard enough to kill her, then went out to dinner, then free-based with Hedda while the child lay dying on the floor. And he's out of prison???

He claims he was a good father. If I recall, the baby was sitting in a playpen full of filth, his bottle filled with spoiled milk, the baby tied so he couldn't get out? I can't remember, but whatever the conditions of the apartment were, they were basically inhabitable.

Joel Steinberg should never, never have gotten out of prison. Ever.

The man owes his life to whatever has allowed him to slip under the radar until his release. Is he registered as a sex offender? He is going to be a dream to try and monitor since he feels he is not guilty. Let's hope some kind of benign parole violation gets him back in jail...

csds703
10-14-2007, 02:30 PM

I am not defending her, but, do you remember what she looke like?
She was so pathetically beaten up herself that it was hard not to feel sorry for her too.

I happen to know the family of the little brother (Travis) who went back to his biological mother after this fiasco. I am happy to say that he is happy, healthy and well adjusted.

Steinberg is a disgusting psychotic pig who should have spent his life in jail for the abuse he bestowed on the entire family.

Jeana (DP)
10-14-2007, 03:17 PM
She was so pathetically beaten up herself that it was hard not to feel sorry for her too.

I happen to know the family of the little brother (Travis) who went back to his biological mother after this fiasco. I am happy to say that he is happy, healthy and well adjusted.

Steinberg is a disgusting psychotic pig who should have spent his life in jail for the abuse he bestowed on the entire family.

Yes, I remember what she looked like.

RiverRat
10-15-2007, 08:17 AM
And people thought Darnay Hoffman was the answer to the Ramsey case. I'm sorry, but I don't think so.

Correction.....SOME people thought that about Darnay, but I was never one of them. The way he surrounds himself with the likes of Joel and worse speak volumes to me as to just who Darnay was really working for. I would like to know if he was involved in this latest update!

Columbo
10-15-2007, 02:54 PM

I remember how Hedda Nussbaum looked--if you saw pictures of her before she met Steinberg, and how she looked by the time poor little Lisa died, it's a horrible transformation. She once was good looking; by the time of the murder she looked like she did 20 rounds with a prize fighter --broken up, bruised nose & face. I'm sure she was living in fear of him. Doesn't give her an excuse, but I understand how these crazy, abusive men get control of women. She had to have been paralyzed with fear of him.

Columbo
10-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Possibly one of the greatest ironies in this case is that Hedda Nussbaum wrote children's books.

Al_B
10-15-2007, 03:00 PM
I found where Hedda wrote the 2 children's books before Joel or was fresh in the relationship and I found her after Joel book
http://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Intimate-Terrorism-Hedda-Nussbaum/dp/1413756522

Columbo
10-15-2007, 03:06 PM

They were both deep into drugs and supposedly freebasing coke the night Lisa died. Even the cops had trouble getting in when they called 911---really odd for a couple with a child in distress. Hedda was all bashed up, with clumps of hair missing, etc, etc. Drugs + spousal battery.
I wish she had taken him out, too. It's just too sad.

Jeana (DP)
10-15-2007, 03:10 PM
They were both deep into drugs and supposedly freebasing coke the night Lisa died. Even the cops had trouble getting in when they called 911---really odd for a couple with a child in distress. Hedda was all bashed up, with clumps of hair missing, etc, etc. Drugs + spousal battery.
I wish she had taken him out, too. It's just too sad.

Yes, I remember that. Of course, that's another choice she made for herself while her daughter suffered.

Garnan
10-15-2007, 03:10 PM
It's a shame he isn't dead yet. Does he work for a living? Who would hire him? I can't imagine sharing office space with this guy.

Squishified, I love your little dogs, they are precious and a bright ray of sunshine when we are discussing such awful things. Thank you!

Columbo
10-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Yes, I remember that. Of course, that's another choice she made for herself while her daughter suffered.

You are so right. SHE made the choice to take drugs.

Squishified
10-16-2007, 01:14 PM
It's a shame he isn't dead yet. Does he work for a living? Who would hire him? I can't imagine sharing office space with this guy.

Squishified, I love your little dogs, they are precious and a bright ray of sunshine when we are discussing such awful things. Thank you!
Thank you, Garnan! :blowkiss:

philamena
10-16-2007, 01:23 PM
It's hard to believe that he's out of prison. He is free to yet again abuse and kill another child.:snooty::razz::furious::banghead::(

Jules
10-16-2007, 01:26 PM
This case is so heartbreaking. I, too, have read the book - a few times. It takes me forever to get thru it because I have such a hard time with what he did to little Lisa. I just want to watch him die a very slow, extremely painful death.

I do wonder how Hedda has done in the years since Lisa's death. I go from feeling sorry for her to wanting to beat her myself. :(

hotmomma35
10-16-2007, 01:46 PM
what is the name of the book that you read ? I would like to see if our local book store has it.

Columbo
10-16-2007, 02:07 PM
This case is so heartbreaking. I, too, have read the book - a few times. It takes me forever to get thru it because I have such a hard time with what he did to little Lisa. I just want to watch him die a very slow, extremely painful death.

I do wonder how Hedda has done in the years since Lisa's death. I go from feeling sorry for her to wanting to beat her myself. :(

I found this book about her at Crime Library online. Here's a link to the online book:
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/family/lisa_steinberg/3.html

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I followed this case when Lisa was murdered, and in years thereafter whenever there was news about her. It seems I remember reading that she had gotten herself straightened out and now speaks to battered women--but I can't be sure about that.

txsvicki
10-16-2007, 07:13 PM
You are so right. SHE made the choice to take drugs.

I've always felt that she put up with so much because she was so addicted to drugs and didn't want to lose her supplier. I agree, she made the choice to allow the children to suffer abuse. They both should have rotted in prison the rest of their lives. I hope this pig of an excuse for a man is never around kids or women again, but he probably will.

gitana1
10-16-2007, 08:16 PM
If I remember correctly from a book about the murder, Hedda actually did something to get Lisa in trouble with the father the night she was killed. There was speculation that she felt if she put the heat on the child it would take the heat off Hedda. He was forcing both of them, or maybe only the child, to eat tons of jalapenos or something hot so she would drink huge amounts of water because he felt she was not drinking enough (which to him was gallons). Hedda said something to indicate Lisa was not following his orders and he began beating the little girl to death. I understand she was a battered spouse but I have no sympathy for her becuase of this. I'm sorry.

Columbo
10-17-2007, 11:25 AM
If I remember correctly from a book about the murder, Hedda actually did something to get Lisa in trouble with the father the night she was killed. There was speculation that she felt if she put the heat on the child it would take the heat off Hedda. He was forcing both of them, or maybe only the child, to eat tons of jalapenos or something hot so she would drink huge amounts of water because he felt she was not drinking enough (which to him was gallons). Hedda said something to indicate Lisa was not following his orders and he began beating the little girl to death. I understand she was a battered spouse but I have no sympathy for her becuase of this. I'm sorry.

Hi, Gitana,
According to the online book/article (it isn't as long as a book), the night Lisa died, Joel was going out to meet friends for dinner. Lisa had asked Hedda if Joel was going to take her(Lisa) along with him when he went out. (Sometimes he took Lisa with him). Hedda told Lisa "why don't you go ask him?" Lisa went into the room with Joel, and a while later Joel emerged carrying her, limp in his arms. Apparently this innocuous question had set him off and he had beaten her up. That's when he put her on the bathroom floor and she stayed there unconscious for 12 hours. There was also an issue about not drinking enough water per Joel's requirements, but I think it was her asking him this question that set off his anger.
Is this guy insane, or what? He should be locked up forever, in my opinion.

gidget641
10-17-2007, 11:40 AM
what is the name of the book that you read ? I would like to see if our local book store has it.

There is a book written I believe by Lisa's biological mother Michele Landers. I read it many many years ago it is called "I wish you didn't know my name". The book is out of print but used copies are available on amazon for a pretty reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.com/Wish-You-Didnt-Know-Name/dp/B000J9XOBO/ref=sr_1_1/103-9643005-9793402?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192635519&sr=8-1

Jules
10-17-2007, 11:46 AM

I'll have to look when I get home. I have it there. I'll let you know.