PDA

View Full Version : Identified! Canada - Vaughan ON - Black Female 153UFON, 17-18, Sep'94 - Melonie Biddersingh

anthrobones
07-20-2006, 03:15 PM
[/URL][url]http://doenetwork.org/cases/153ufon.html (http://doenetwork.us/cases/153ufon.html)

Unidentified Black Female

The victim was discovered on September 1, 1994 in Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
Cause of Death: Homicide
Extensively Burned Remains

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 17-18 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 55; 85-100 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: She was probably of North African descent and may have been of mixed race; she was originally thought to have been of East Indian or Nilotic origin (of the Nile region). This would include such countries such as Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia and Egypt. By definition this person would be a dark skinned Caucasian. Dark, curly hair, which may have been dyed red. She had suffered many broken bones in a car accident or fall in the weeks or months before she was killed: her pelvis had been broken in four places and she had suffered bone breaks to her ribs, vertebrae, left knee and right ankle injuries like those of "somebody jumping over a balcony trying to get away from somebody." Because she'd received no medical attention, the girl was probably immobile and in excruciating pain in the weeks before her death.
Dentals: The girl had a smaller lower jaw, making her front teeth protrude. Her teeth were in good condition. Her only dental work was a single resin filling.
Clothing: Three pieces of clothing were salvaged from the suitcase; a black dress with a sheer hem at the bottom, a floral white top and purple nylon track pants.
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available Soon

Case History
The victim was located in an industrial area in the City of Vaughan on September 1, 1994.
The body had been placed in a forest-green suitcase and then set on fire. The remains were extensively burned. All her fingerprints, handprints and footprints were burned off. In her stomach, pathologists found grains that originated in the Nile basin, possibly Ethiopia, Somalia or Sudan. She may have been a newly arrived local member of the North African / East Indian community and a victim of an "honour killing".

hoping4truth
07-20-2006, 05:22 PM
I was going to read about honor killings but was having a hard time getting through the info. Maybe someone already knows:

If this were an honor killing, why would they put her body in a suitcase?

coco
07-21-2006, 06:26 AM
jeez, I don't think i heard of this case before, thanks for posting it. Its actually very disturbing, I mean all these cases are of course , but this one has very bizare elements to it. One thing I don't understand is in the description it says a "dark skinned caucasian" yet on the other hand is says "unidentified black female''?
Anyways they seem to think she may be the victim of an honour killing? That makes sense esp with the injuries she was already suffering from and no medical treatment for them. How awful for her. But then like the member above said, does the suitcase fit in with an honour killing? And that whole thing about the foreign grains found in the stomach? This case is very baffling to say the least. Does anyone happen to know of any other suspected honour killings happening around the same area?

KarlK
02-12-2007, 04:36 AM
One thing I don't understand is in the description it says a "dark skinned caucasian" yet on the other hand is says "unidentified black female''?People from northeastern Africa often have a combination of very dark skin and Caucasian features such as a long narrow face, prominent nose and thinner lips not typical of black Africans. More simply put, they look like Arabs or Persians but have darker skin. These features are not very common in North America so that may explain the somewhat confusing description.

Anyways they seem to think she may be the victim of an honour killing? That makes sense esp with the injuries she was already suffering from and no medical treatment for them. How awful for her. But then like the member above said, does the suitcase fit in with an honour killing? And that whole thing about the foreign grains found in the stomach? This case is very baffling to say the least.Baffling indeed. Another possibility that comes to mind is illegal immigration as there is evidence that the victim had not been in Canada for long. I'm sure Canadian authorities sifted through all entry visas and other legal Immigration documents in order to ID her but came up empty handed, that's one reason why I'd suspect illegal immigration rather than honor killing in this case. Poor girl, what a horrible agony she must have suffered. Illegal or not, no one deserves such a fate.

outofthedark
02-13-2007, 01:28 AM
I think they say people from India can pass for White because of some facial structure thing...

CrimeSolver
02-13-2007, 07:20 PM
I remember seeing this on the news at the time. I think the best chance of solving it was in the beginning, when any memories people might have had of "those strange, quiet neighbours" were fresh. I'm sure, though, that if the woman is identified, so will be her killer(s), as they are almost certainly her family.

Bluecat
02-14-2007, 07:11 PM
I would not put too much importance on the grains originating abroad; if she was an immigrant it is not uncommon to get "care packages" of foods from home. Not knowing anything about the area, they could also have been procured at an ethnic grocer, or a restaurant. Regardless, unless she was fresh off of the boat and had not met anyone, she likely was known in her own ethnic community. Someone in the community has heard a story. They just need to get someone to talk. In addition to being an honor killing, it should be kept in mind that slavery is still an issue, whether chattel slavery (brought over to be someone's maid) or sex slavery (prostitution). Either way, I could see attempting to flee and then being denied medical attention so that she would go unreported. It seems less likely than if her family had killed her - why would they wait long enough for her to partially heal before killing her?

Patience
03-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Please help identifiy this young woman/girl who died a horrible death. If wwe can identify her then that will help in finding the horrid person who did this to her. God Bless her soul.

http://www.police.york.on.ca/cold_cases/YRPAG104.HTM

Unidentified female, 14 to 23 years (examination of the skeleton) but closer to 17 to 18 years of age.

The victim had protruding front upper teeth, which were food stained, was approximately 5'5", very slim build, weighed between 85 and 100 lbs, and had dark curly hair, which may have been dyed a reddish colour.

Experts believe that victim was likely of North African origin, was light skinned, was of mixed race, had a single resin filling in the upper left lateral incisor, a class two overbite, and an untreated cavity on the upper right 1st molar. A cause of death was determined as a result of forensic testing, but this information is being withheld by investigators because the cause of death could be known only by the persons responsible for the death of this young girl, and would compromise the investigation. In September 2004 a Forensic Anthropologist, examined the skeleton of the girl found in a suitcase. It was found that this young girl had sustained numberous injuries, believed to be as a result of a fall from a height, or a result of a motor vehicle accident, which resulted in fractures in the lower back, including a number of vertebrae and ribs, the pelvic area, the left knee, and right ankle. This young woman would have been immobile, and as a result would not be able to walk, and was in pain all of the time. Due to the apparent lack of any medical intervention, this young woman was not given treatment for these injuries. These healing fractures were reported to have taken place 3 weeks to 6 months prior to this teen's death. The photographs above are of four different facial reconstructions done by various forensic artists over the past 10 years. If you who this young women is, please call one of the numbers at the top of the page, or submit a tip online to Crimestoppers of York Region. (http://www.crimestoppersyr.ca/)

mywarmbluefleece
04-01-2008, 09:13 PM
So sad that this young person has not been identified. I am suprised at the amount of very young adults/ older teenagers who are not able to be identified. Maybe if she was an immigrant and her parents are in their home country, they unaware that she has met an unfortunate end. How sad in every aspect.

AmandaBrown23
04-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Well it states that she had some sort of accident that she would not be able to walk and no one got her any help, maybe her parents were abusive or maybe a husband and none are comming forward because they are responsible, how sad.

Danaya
12-06-2010, 01:45 AM
What a sad case.

Donjeta
02-02-2011, 05:51 AM
The link in the OP goes to a generic error page but she is still unidentified.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/153ufon.html

The thread title "Africa- Female-14-23 yrs., found Sept./1994" is a bit confusing, IMO She is thought to be of North African descent but she was found in CANADA, Ontario. I suggest that the thread is retitled "CANADA Vaughan, Ontario Female of North African descent, 14-23 yrs, September 1994" or something similar.

There are several reconstructions on the DN page.

The victim was discovered on September 1, 1994 in Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
Cause of Death: Homicide
Extensively Burned Remains

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 17-18 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"; 85-100 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Dark, curly hair, which may have been dyed red. She was probably of North African descent and may have been of mixed race; she was originally thought to have been of East Indian or Nilotic origin (of the Nile region). This would include such countries such as Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia and Egypt. By definition this person would be a dark skinned Caucasian.
Skeletal Findings: She had suffered many broken bones in a car accident or fall in the weeks or months before she was killed: her pelvis had been broken in four places and she had suffered bone breaks to her ribs, vertebrae, left knee and right ankle. Injuries like those of "somebody jumping over a balcony trying to get away from somebody." Because she'd received no medical attention, the girl was probably immobile and in excruciating pain in the weeks before her death.
Clothing: Three pieces of clothing were salvaged from the suitcase; a black dress with a sheer hem at the bottom, a floral white top and purple nylon track pants.
Fingerprints: Not Available
Dentals: The girl had a smaller lower jaw, making her front teeth protrude. Her teeth were in good condition. Her only dental work was a single resin filling.
DNA: Available Soon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
The victim was located in an industrial area in the City of Vaughan on September 1, 1994.
The body had been placed in a forest-green suitcase and then set on fire. The remains were extensively burned. All her fingerprints, handprints and footprints were burned off. In her stomach, pathologists found grains that originated in the Nile basin, possibly Ethiopia, Somalia or Sudan. She may have been a newly arrived local member of the North African / East Indian community and a victim of an "honour killing".

Ambercat
07-31-2011, 04:29 PM
There are two listings for this uid, possibly they could be merged? I don't think that it would be possible for her to travel with all of those injuries. If she was, in fact, running from someone and she did jump off of a balcony trying to run from someone, wouldn't there have been witnesses?

Ambercat
07-31-2011, 04:43 PM
There is another listing for this uid, I wonder if they can be merged. I am wondering if this girl was brought to Canada in a situation similar to how a girl was brought to Irvine, CA and worked as a virtual slave for a family?
http://articles.ocregister.com/2006-06-30/cities/24745620_1_egyptian-girl-girl-s-parents-human-trafficking
Possibly, the girl in Canada was in a similar situation and she tried to escape and that is how she got hurt so bad prior to her death. The problem with that is, wouldn't someone have seen and reported it to the authorities?

Donjeta
08-01-2011, 06:08 AM
This thread was started in July 2006 and the DN listing said, "DNA available soon". Well, it's now five years later and it still says the same. I wonder if there is ever going to be any. Maybe there is and the page just hasn't been updated?

Ambercat
08-17-2011, 03:06 AM
I hope that LE looked into it at the time, but I wonder if they spoke with the consulates in the area? Also, it is possible that she drove across the border from the US.

CarlK90245
03-21-2012, 02:38 PM
The decedent has been identified as Melanie Biddersingh, 17. Her father, Everton Biddersingh, 56, and stepmother, Elaine Biddersingh, 50, were arrested in Welland and charged with first degree murder.

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q697/Carlkopp90245/Facial%20Reconstructions%20002/2260675890045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q697/Carlkopp90245/Missing%20Persons%20Photos/2014116080045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/1321023--murder-charges-in-1994-vaughan-cold-case

Fin
03-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Wow! That is totally amazing that they were able to solve this case. I have looked at that case before and wondered if it would ever be solved without a person reported as missing. How did you find out? I am speechless!

outofthedark
03-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Did they say why her parents did it? If it wasn't an "honor killing", then what happened?

Donjeta
03-21-2012, 05:32 PM
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20120321/toronto-police-1994-cold-case-arrest-120321/

She was identified as a result of a tip from a "person of conscience", and there may be another sibling who was murdered. At least, he died from a fall and presumably got very similar injuries as Melonie.

Woodland
03-22-2012, 10:35 AM
This case serves as a reminder how many unidentified deceased people have never been reported missing.

Not long ago I suggested to the OPP Resolve Unit that they start engaging the public more to elicit tips from people that have not seen or heard from a relative in a very long time, especially when the story of their whereabouts is vague. It could very well speed up the identification of those that have been without a name for 10+ years.

The reply from the OPP was polite enough, but left a lot to be desired. Waiting for the call, as in this case is fine, but one can always do more.

I'm glad Melanie has her name back.

EveDallas
03-22-2012, 02:50 PM
I only hope that there is a very special place in hell for both the real father a man who should have love daughter and protected her and that stepmother

Fin
03-22-2012, 03:11 PM
It says she may have weighed as little as 50 pounds when she died

http://www.thespec.com/news/canada/article/690865--single-call-cracked-1994-girl-in-a-suitcase-murder

Fin
03-22-2012, 03:17 PM
In 1994, they lived in an apartment building in Parkdale that had at least 22 floors.

Woodland
03-22-2012, 05:35 PM
A step-parent notoriously dislikes the children from their new spouses prior relationship(s). Not all, but many.

Randy Dooley, among others, is a classic case of that. When a male lion takes over a pride, the first thing they do is kill the offspring of the previous male. In my experience, human females and males behave in the same manner. Sometimes worse, according to the news. Sentencing has to reflect this as a deterrent.

Ambercat
03-22-2012, 09:29 PM
This is another article about Melonie Biddersingh. Her mom thought that she was in the US.
http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/1149684--suitcase-murder-dad-stepmom-charged-in-1994-slaying-of-17-year-old-toronto-girl?asid=94419050#article

outofthedark
03-23-2012, 04:26 AM
This is another article about Melonie Biddersingh. Her mom thought that she was in the US.
http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/1149684--suitcase-murder-dad-stepmom-charged-in-1994-slaying-of-17-year-old-toronto-girl?asid=94419050#article

Ex-husband = :rage:

EveDallas
03-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Two questions according to the new articles from Canada when the 15 year old brother fell, jump or was pushed out of the window, why didn't the police search the apartment where he lived, maybe and just maybe they could of have save her in time. Seeing that according to the news reports she was living in a closet. Second question concerns Melonie' real mother when her answers as to why she could not reach or find Melonie and her ex-husband was always coming up with an excuse as to why he could not contract her with Melonie why didn't she get on a plane, boat and look for her, If I didn't hear from my daughter in two years you bet I woould of have came to Canada to find her

Woodland
03-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Good questions EveDallas. The investigating cops clearly did not give a RA, imo. TPS has had accusations of racial profiling for years with no recourse or resolution.

The CBC News announced on air this evening that Chief of Toronto Police, Bill Blair, will receive the 'Diversity Award' today. I think this case has a lot to do with that - considering one cannot find the last person to be given this award. There is a website for this award (Diversity Business Network), but it is totally bogus, also imo. The CBC does not have the nerve to put this in print on their website - only a brief mention on air.

Blair and his predecessor leave a poor trail of leadership. As for Melonie's mother - many people, like Melonie, don't stand a chance from the moment of conception. Imho.

Woodland
04-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Article from Toronto Star today. Very sad.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/1154792--mother-mourns-her-daughter-s-ghastly-death?bn=1

ClaireNC
04-04-2012, 03:30 PM
This is the first I have heard of this story. My heart aches and I wish there was something I could do to help this poor woman get justice for her children and have them rest in peace near her home. Does anybody know if there are any agencies helping her?

Woodland
04-04-2012, 04:30 PM
The Star article linked in above post says readers are reaching out to the mother, but nothing specific yet. She would like to attend the trial and bring her daughter back home for burial. I believe her son is buried in GTA area.

The accused father and step-mother made a court appearance yesterday.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/03/couple-charged-in-cold-case-murder-appear-in-court

Wanting2Help
04-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Fund set up to help return body of ‘suitcase murder’ victim to mother in Jamaica

City Councillor Michael Thompson has set up a fund to collect donations to return the body of the “suitcase murder” victim to her mother in Jamaica.

Donations are being accepted at all branches of the Royal Bank, payable to the “Tragedy Fund.”

sniped from article...

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1157661--fund-set-up-to-help-return-body-of-suitcase-murder-victim-to-mother-in-jamaica

Woodland
04-06-2012, 05:43 PM
My goal with this post is to try and ensure this fund for the return of Melonie's remains to her mother in Jamica does not go off the rails, as so many funds before this have. People may be a little weary of giving without transparency and accountability. I very much want Melonie's mother to have her daughter back where she can visit her whenever she can.

I think it's great Toronto City Councillor Michael Thompson has stepped up, and into the limelight, to set up the 'Tragedy Fund' at the Royal Bank.

I would like to make a minimum $500.00 donation if I can have the following information -

How much will the airfare be to transport Melonie's remains?
Is a coffin required, or will the remains be cremated?
What documentation is required for Canadian authorities, and who will take care of that?
How much for the Canadian documentation and to whom?
Who will transport the remains to Pearson Airport and how much?
Who will pick up the remains in Jamaica and how much?
What documentation is required for the Jamaican authorities? How much?
Is the purchase of a plot in Jamaica needed before the remains can leave Canada, or has that been arranged already? If not, how much?
How much will the Royal Bank want for management fees of the fund? I fear a ridiculous amount here - would like to see it.

I saw the estimated $10,000 cost in one of the articles posted above - that might be accurate. Who will try to negotiate waiving some fees along the way? The planes fly anyway, civil servants are on duty anyway, funeral homes might be going that direction anyway ...

Councillor Thompson needs to address these items for people who want to see this part of justice done for Melonie's mother. The family has minimal resources, lets not add to the problem with confusion and possible mismanagement. Let's just get Melonie home.

My first contribution will be to get some of these costs after the holiday weekend - they have to pretty standard. Councillor Thompson might want to beat me or anyone else to the punch on this matter - it is his fund after all, and I hope it's a windfall.

Wondergirl
01-24-2013, 11:26 PM
This just tears me up. I only heard of Melonie and her brother Dwayne today. How positively dreadful. Obviously they did not raise enough $ to transport his remains. His coffin was so deteriorated, they had to remove his remains from it in the plot.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

Toronto police exhume teen’s body in 1994 cold case murder investigation of older sister

http://i.thestar.com/images/07/d8/337a97e54154ba1ad0efc82baab4.jpg

http://i.thestar.com/images/e8/19/97a571a34047897f044b8030f8b5.jpg

http://i.thestar.com/images/b5/d0/24d42c4d47df938886d7eefd9d02.jpg

Painstakingly pulled from cold, hard ground, the remains of a teenage boy may breathe new life into the murder investigation of his older sister and could raise questions about his own death more than two decades after an apparent suicide.

In a rare step Tuesday, Toronto Police took more than seven hours to exhume the body of 15-year-old Dwayne Biddersingh, who in 1992 fell from the 22nd storey balcony of the Jamaican family’s Parkdale apartment in what was deemed a suicide at the time.

The coroner’s office — who enacted their authority to unearth the state burial plot where no plaque marks Biddersingh’s name — set up with investigators from homicide squad’s cold case unit in Beechwood Cemetery, as snow swirled around marble tombstones and settled on synthetic flowers.

Though unearthing remains is an uncommon investigative step, police now say they want to make sure nothing was missed after the body of Biddersingh’s 17-year-old sister Melonie was found inside a burnt-out suitcase in 1994, with signs of torture.

Waterlogged and with the grave’s sides caving in, crews were delayed for several hours while they were forced to reinforce the sides with concrete slabs and metal planks.

After 4 p.m., a decision was made to open the casket — too damaged to be lifted from its final resting place. Biddersingh’s remains were placed in a container and loaded into a black coroner’s van to be transported to the Toronto morgue.

That’s where Kathy Gruspier comes in, a forensic anthropologist who specializes in bones.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/1318391--toronto-police-exhume-teen-s-body-trying-to-determine-if-1992-suicide-was-a-murder

coco
07-08-2013, 11:42 PM
I am sooooo relieved this girl has been identified, very thankful! Is there another thread now on her father and stepmother?