PDA

View Full Version : Mom Accused Of Injecting Human Waste Into Daughter

Casshew
01-17-2004, 12:52 AM
INDIANAPOLIS -- A 33-year-old mother is accused of repeatedly injecting human waste into her 21-month-old daughter to get attention, according to a report.

Tracie L. Fleck, 33, of Highland was being held Thursday in the Marion County Jail on $30,000 bond on 10 felony counts, including charges of aggravated battery and child neglect. Each count carries a penalty of from six to 20 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Indianapolis police arrested Fleck after she was videotaped tampering with her 21-month-old daughter's IV tube in a room at the Riley Hospital for Children, according to a court affidavit.

Fleck may suffer from Munchausen syndrome by proxy, a disorder in which people harm their own children in an attempt to get attention, said Dr. Roberta Hibbard, professor of pediatrics at Indiana University School of Medicine and director of child protection programs at Riley.

Story from Local6 (http://www.local6.com/news/2770688/detail.html)

poco
01-18-2004, 10:30 AM
INDIANAPOLIS -- A 33-year-old mother is accused of repeatedly injecting human waste into her 21-month-old daughter to get attention, according to a report.

Tracie L. Fleck, 33, of Highland was being held Thursday in the Marion County Jail on $30,000 bond on 10 felony counts, including charges of aggravated battery and child neglect. Each count carries a penalty of from six to 20 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Indianapolis police arrested Fleck after she was videotaped tampering with her 21-month-old daughter's IV tube in a room at the Riley Hospital for Children, according to a court affidavit.

Fleck may suffer from Munchausen syndrome by proxy, a disorder in which people harm their own children in an attempt to get attention, said Dr. Roberta Hibbard, professor of pediatrics at Indiana University School of Medicine and director of child protection programs at Riley.

Story from Local6 (http://www.local6.com/news/2770688/detail.html)

God, there are some sick sick people out there!

Rachael
01-18-2004, 11:32 AM
I don't understand people. I do whatever I can to protect my children. How sickening. This word just keeps getting worse and worse. I don't remember hearing all of this crazy stuff when I was a kid (in the 70's & 80's).

Belinda
07-10-2010, 09:42 AM
This is rather odd. Tracie L. Fleck has 2 different sentence dates for the same case number. Nonetheless, the time she did is negligible.

Release Date: 02/21/2010

Sentence Date: 03/02/2005
Offense: Battery
Sentence: 3 years
Projected Release Date: 07/12/2005

Projected Release Date: 10/13/2006

Sentence Date: 05/15/2008
Sentence: 1 year
Projected Release Date: 10/16/2008

Projected Release Date: 02/21/2010

On the first set, she did 1 year 7 months 11 days.
On the second set, she did 1 year 9 months 16 days.

I wonder if the second set were parole violations? They have the same case number, so it is a bit confusing.

PorcineGranny
07-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Belinda, I believe thats what is happening. Her initial charge produced a sentence and within that sentence another charge for not complying to all of it was done under the original charge. Thats how we use to do it in our criminal office, everything pertaining to the original case was under that case number, probation violations, bond calls, etc.

Steely Dan
07-10-2010, 09:50 AM
This is rather odd. Tracie L. Fleck has 2 different sentence dates for the same case number. Nonetheless, the time she did is negligible.

Release Date: 02/21/2010

Projected Release Date: 07/12/2005

Projected Release Date: 10/13/2006

Projected Release Date: 10/16/2008

Projected Release Date: 02/21/2010

On the first set, she did 1 year 7 months 11 days.
On the second set, she did 1 year 9 months 16 days.

I wonder if the second set were parole violations? They have the same case number, so it is a bit confusing.

I'm assuming she will no longer have contact with her kid. :waitasec:

Missizzy
07-10-2010, 10:40 AM
May I make a suggestion. I am the permanent foster parent of a child removed from her adoptive parents due to the fact that the adoptive mother exhibited Munchausen's by Proxy and almost brought about our daughter's death. This teen is literally a different girl than the sad and sick girl who walked into our home almost two years ago.

I suspected immediately that this is what we were dealing with as I'd seen MBP twice in my years of advocacy. It is horrific. It is also often seen in tandem with hoarding of both objects and animals. I am in no way defending the mother (and it is always mothers) but one must understand that it is a mental illness of projection. The child becomes the pawn in an stoppable push to gain attention to assuage inner trauma and turmoil. It often goes undiagnosed until the child dies or is near death. Our daughter was overdosed with medication to a point that she was in the ICU for a week and suffered lasting neurological deficits. She takes no medication at all now and has lost her multiple diagnoses. She is, physically, a very healthy girl. It is an understatement to say that she is blossoming. It is a joy to watch.

I recently found a book, "Sickened" by Julie Gregory, which is an autobiography of life as a child of a mother with MBP. Amazingly Julie not only lived but she triumphed in the end and is now a spokesperson for this horrible illness and its effects on children. The subject matter is brutal but Julie has a way of presenting it, not as a victim, but as a survivor. She didn't disassociate. She remembered every detail. Her book is fascinating. I really cannot recommend it highly enough. I know it's available in paperback but I got my copy from the library. My husband is reading it right now. It has given us so much insight into the dynamics which caused our daughter's abuse. It has also proven to me that we will have to remain vigilant long into her adulthood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Münchausen_syndrome_by_proxy

amandab
07-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Missizzy - I read "Sickened" a few months ago, most of the time with my jaw on the floor. It's astonishing the level of sickness in Julie's life.

kbl8201
07-11-2010, 04:27 AM
whatever. she did zilch for nearling killing her daughter.

i guess this defense will be real popular among sociopaths looking for excuses

Missizzy
07-11-2010, 11:19 AM
kbl--I'm going to ask you to please read up on this illness. I think it's far more common than we realize. Think back on all the scores of cases we've looked at where food was withheld or children overmedicated. Obviously, MBP is not always the case but it needs to be considered. The markers are unmistakable. It is NOT sociopathy. It is not an excuse. The women doing this are projecting (and totally unaware of what they are doing) their early pain and trauma on children and sometimes animals. They really and truly are sick. One of the ironies is that professionals and the community often look up to these women and sympathize with their plight of raising a sick child.

Of course, they need punishment but they also need treatment. They rarely get either. It is one of the mental illnesses that is tremendously hard to treat and almost always they should be monitored to have no contact whatsoever with children. Just like hoarders, if they slip under the wire, they'll be caught with yet another child, trying to "help" him or her.

Doctors have been complicit with this disorder/abuse for decades. With better communication between medical facilities, this is coming to an end. Still, some women will change children's names to continue the charade. It's almost unbelievable but doctors have operated on totally healthy children time and again at a mother's urging. The children rarely fight back as they too are led to believe they are sick. After all, they feel sick with all the meds they are taking and the way their diets are mismanaged. These women are typically quite smart and savvy and "sell" themselves to the doctors as caring moms who just want their children well. The pharmaceutical companies don't help by pushing the doctors to hand out meds. Just like drug-seekers, these moms doctor-shop and will drag the poor victim to appt. after appt.

I cannot encourage you to read "Sickened" more strongly. If nothing else, please read the wiki article. I know the depth of this problem as I've seen the outcome.

Amanda--ITA, that Julie is amazing. I've wondered, though, if she was able to get the younger children removed. If you find anything about this, I'd love to know. Did you see the note at the end of the book--that she's now a graduate student in psychiatry? So much for her being "stupid", I guess, as her mother told her time and again. The part that really alarmed me is the fact that we have to worry about our daughter's original adoptive mother seeking her out even after she's an adult and starting in on this again.

Here's a link to Julie's website:

http://www.juliegregory.com/

Missizzy
07-11-2010, 11:32 AM
I believe we have a thread on this woman but I wanted to post this link here:

http://www.beavertonvalleytimes.com/news/print_story.php?story_id=126283336210435900

For the second time in her life, Sarah Dillard-Lubin has pleaded guilty to poisoning one of her own children

"Her guilty plea is in connection with an incident in June when Providence St. Vincent Medical Center staff discovered that Dillard-Lubin’s 2-month-old was poisoned with heavy doses of opiates. Dillard-Lubin also pleaded guilty in 2005 to a similar case in which her 11-month-old son was poisoned with opiates. She was still on probation from that crime when she was arrested in Washington County.

Both children survived their experiences. The son is now in the custody of his father and the daughter, Elise, is under the custody of Oregon’s Department of Human Services.

In both cases, Dillard-Lubin, a medical assistant, is believed to have carried out the acts with the goal of getting the attention of her children’s fathers, as well as medical professionals. A psychological disorder, Munchausen’s syndrome by proxy, was brought up during the investigation to describe Dillard-Lubin’s actions. The disorder’s hallmark is when one person – often a mother or caretaker – deliberately injures another to gain attention...."

more at link

kbl--I liken this disorder to cutting (self-mutilation) or animal hoarding. The person knows full well that what they are doing is wrong, they genuinely love the child, and yet they can't seem to stop themselves. Of course, we have to act in the best interests of the child. There's a reason that we have our sweet girl. The state said "enough!!".

Belinda
07-11-2010, 11:43 AM
This is an "illness" that I'm not quite sure exists. I do believe these women injure their children for attention, however I'm not convinced it is a mental illness so much as a self-serving behavior. I'm not trying to be harsh as I know this is an accepted illness in the psychiatric community. It's just something I personally have questions about.

kbl8201
07-11-2010, 10:36 PM
i know it exists mz iz. but whos to say she wont do it again? at leasdt have her get mental help or else she's gonna do it again.

and i do believe it's a real disease. i just also believe a lot of sociopaths look up excuses (see the mendeez brothers) while locked up to get off.

Missizzy
07-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Belinda and kbl--I wouldn't have believed the impact of this disorder until I had to confront the aftermath of it--the injured child. I've not only worked with her to achieve a higher level of wellness but I've been flattened by the depth of her adoptive mother's illness. To this day, she hassles us and DHS begging for the child to have painful and unnecessary medical and dental procedures--even after being shown proof they are not needed. And this is a very intelligent woman. Parenting this teen has been like peeling back layers to get to who this child really is. It has been a delight compared with the girl I met two years ago.

I honestly cannot recommend the book, "Sickened", more. It opens up an entirely unseen world. I guess if I had not personally experienced it, I wouldn't believe it either. The odd thing is that it has nothing to do with sociopathy or grappling around for a diagnosis. One just lays out the facts and there it is, staring you in the face.

Belinda
07-12-2010, 05:23 AM
I will definitely need to get that book Missizzy. I would like to have a better understanding of this disease or whatever it is. I just shudder when I think of the lack of consequences for these women. Irregardless of their mental illness, they need to pay for their crimes and they don't. When I see that they have been given access to yet another child to abuse, I go crazy. I don't care if they are locked in a mental institution or a jail, they just need to be locked up and away from the ability to harm other children.