PDA

View Full Version : Woman Gives Birth - Winds Up Quadruple Amputee

southcitymom
08-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Woman Becomes Quadruple Amputee After Giving Birth

POSTED: 5:59 pm EST January 19, 2006
UPDATED: 4:06 pm EST January 20, 2006

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A Sanford mother says she will never be able to hold her newborn because an Orlando hospital performed a life-altering surgery and, she claims, the hospital refuses to explain why they left her as a multiple amputee.

The woman filed a complaint against Orlando Regional Healthcare Systems, she said, because they won't tell her exactly what happened. The hospital maintains the woman wants to know information that would violate other patients' rights.

Claudia Mejia gave birth eight and a half months ago at Orlando Regional South Seminole. She was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center in Orlando where her arms and legs were amputated. She was told she had streptococcus, a flesh eating bacteria, and toxic shock syndrome, but no further explanation was given.

http://www.wftv.com/news/6253589/detail.html

I don't understand the hospital telling her she would have to sue them to find out what happened. That sounds insane.

Pharlap
08-20-2006, 09:56 AM
Don't you have to sign a consent form, for the doctor's to operate?

southcitymom
08-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Don't you have to sign a consent form, for the doctor's to operate?
Maybe not if it's an emergency...I don't know. This story makes no sense to me.

SpongeBathHotPants
08-20-2006, 01:33 PM
I have always thought people sue over the stupidest things but this time she needs to! Can anyone say MILLIONS!!!! :furious:

I feel so badly for this family. I can't imagine how confused and scared they must feel. Prayers for some emotional healing.

SpongeBathHotPants
08-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Maybe not if it's an emergency...I don't know. This story makes no sense to me.

Her husband should have been asked to sign consent if she couldn't. If there is no one to give concent and two doctors sign off that her life is in danger then they can go ahead without it. But a staph infection can usually wait for an hour or so to get concent. This just makes no sense. Anyone who has ever worked in health care get staph infections, I have had several, but they can be treated with high dose antibiotics. Something is not right about this.

CyberLaw
08-20-2006, 03:07 PM
A theory, that this women was a victim of poor infection control, as in "another patient".

Flesh eatting disease is "something that gets bad, real quick and people can die from it.

I put money that somehow the hospital is responsible, had to act quick to save her life(because of their fault) and had to take off her limbs.

Flesh eatting disease can kill a person, and it "eats" the tissue and the tissue has to be removed.

That is why the hospital is "hiding" behind how they see the legislation, because it is their own best interest to do so.

I hope thiis women sues for millions of dollars.........

sandraladeda
08-20-2006, 05:34 PM
on the other hand....

I know of a boy who had the same flesh-eating disease, also became a quadruple amputee. There was no choice - amputate or die.

The alternative was death. Had the hospital not amputated, and she had died, there would have been a lawsuit against the hospital for NOT doing everything to save her, for not amputating. I'd hate to be a doctor -so many difficult, split second decisions to be made, all under the risk of lawsuits.

I hope this woman thanks them for saving her life so she can enjoy and love her new child.....

imho

bykerladi
08-20-2006, 06:27 PM
How can giving her information about her own treatment violate her patient's rights under HIPA? Its HER treatment, not someone elses!!! This makes no sense.

Boyz_Mum
08-20-2006, 06:53 PM
I have always thought that a "strep" bacteria caused the flesh eating skin problem? I understand that any strain of strep or staph that has mutated can be antibiotic resistant but thought that staph was more curable than strep? Anyone out there know? From what I understand, we all have staph germs in our bodies... each home has it's own set of germs. BUT in a hospital there is a higher incidence of staph infection because each hospital has it's own type of staph bacteria. No matter which bacteria this woman suffered, I agree it is wonderful that she can at least be alive to be with her baby BUT I do believe that infectious control should be upped a notch. As a sideline, I delivered my babies by C-section and signed a release before the surgeries that allowed the doctor to perform any lifesaving measures during the procedures... one time he asked me if I wanted a blood transfusion and I told him "no" and he said had I not been able to answer, I would have been given one automatically... without my consent or the consent of my husband who was in the delivery room.

I hope this woman and her family are able to recover from the situation and love the baby that they were blessed with. May God bless them all!

JBean
08-20-2006, 08:43 PM
I have always thought that a "strep" bacteria caused the flesh eating skin problem? I understand that any strain of strep or staph that has mutated can be antibiotic resistant but thought that staph was more curable than strep? Anyone out there know? From what I understand, we all have staph germs in our bodies... each home has it's own set of germs. BUT in a hospital there is a higher incidence of staph infection because each hospital has it's own type of staph bacteria. No matter which bacteria this woman suffered, I agree it is wonderful that she can at least be alive to be with her baby BUT I do believe that infectious control should be upped a notch. As a sideline, I delivered my babies by C-section and signed a release before the surgeries that allowed the doctor to perform any lifesaving measures during the procedures... one time he asked me if I wanted a blood transfusion and I told him "no" and he said had I not been able to answer, I would have been given one automatically... without my consent or the consent of my husband who was in the delivery room.

I hope this woman and her family are able to recover from the situation and love the baby that they were blessed with. May God bless them all!The invasive staph strain that is antibiotic reistant is MRSA. It is usually picked up in the hospital, but it is now being found in the community. At least around here.
I know someone that has MRSA currently. While it has killed off some tissue and creating infected necrotic tissue, it is not the same as necrotizing faciitis(flesheating bacteria), which is a potent Strep bacteria.

Either which way it is all nasty stuff and usually picked up from a health care facility or hospital.

dottierainbow
08-20-2006, 08:46 PM
I agree. I think I would be thankful for saving my life. If she died, there may have been law suit to if they did nothing. I do think they need to explain why they did what they did.
Amy

on the other hand....

I know of a boy who had the same flesh-eating disease, also became a quadruple amputee. There was no choice - amputate or die.

The alternative was death. Had the hospital not amputated, and she had died, there would have been a lawsuit against the hospital for NOT doing everything to save her, for not amputating. I'd hate to be a doctor -so many difficult, split second decisions to be made, all under the risk of lawsuits.

I hope this woman thanks them for saving her life so she can enjoy and love her new child.....

imho

deespoohbear
08-20-2006, 09:09 PM
How can giving her information about her own treatment violate her patient's rights under HIPA? Its HER treatment, not someone elses!!! This makes no sense.

This woman is entitled to her own health information, unless she would be a psych case. (And in that situation, it would only take her doctor's okay to get the records released to her). I don't know how releasing her own chart to her can violate others' right to privacy. There shouldn't be any identifying information in the chart about other patients. The hospital is definitely hiding something here. This woman and her family could own the place by the time this is all said and done.

Something is not right about the consent either. If she couldn't sign the consent, her husband or next of kin would be able to sign. They should have at least been notified of what was happening and been a chance to give verbal consent for the surgery. I can't imagine someone not coming out and explaining the situation to them, even if it was a dire emergency.

My bet is that the hospital operated on the wrong patient. If that is the case, they violated one of the big JCAHO standards of verifying the right patient, right procedure, correct extremity, etc. Also if that is what happened, JCAHO and the Florida State Board of Health will have their heads on a platter too!

philamena
08-20-2006, 10:57 PM
I agree. I bet the hospital operated on the wrong patient.
But wouldn't an amputee patient be on a different floor than a OB-GYN patient?
I feel so bad for the mother.:sick:

Shadow205
08-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Here is the thread that was started when this happened back in January,

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35352&highlight=Quadruple+Amputee

Alice253
08-21-2006, 06:35 AM
First of all she's requesting info on other patients, which is a violation of HIPAA privacy law. ORMC said Mejia is requesting information on if there were other patients or someone on her floor with the streptococcus. They said, if they release that to her, that would be a violation of other patients' rights. I worked in medical malpractice for years, and there's ways to get that information, but she'll most likely never get 'names'.

Next, if she had the flesh eating strep, she likely had Strep A. Here is a really good site that gives a lot of good info, and cases.

http://www.nnff.org/nnff_what.htm

This strep makes you very ill very fast. We had a patient come in with this just a little over a week ago, after childbirth, and as of Friday was still in the units on a vent - she's already been to surgery multiple times.

CyberLaw
08-21-2006, 08:41 AM
So this women should be happy that a hospital messed up with infection control or whatever, had to "chop off" her limbs to save her life because they made a mistake.

Please, the point is, that the infected patient should have been in strict isolation, knowing how "bad" this infection is should have taken any and all precautions to protect other patients.

Not cover up their mistakes(I am sure there is more then one), chop off someone's limbs, then ask that person to "thank" them because she did not die.

I don't see the logic, if the hospital messed up, had to rectify that mistake by choping off a person limbs, well the fault lies with the hospital, period.

sleuthin4fun
08-21-2006, 09:03 AM
So this women should be happy that a hospital messed up with infection control or whatever, had to "chop off" her limbs to save her life because they made a mistake.

Please, the point is, that the infected patient should have been in strict isolation, knowing how "bad" this infection is should have taken any and all precautions to protect other patients.

Not cover up their mistakes(I am sure there is more then one), chop off someone's limbs, then ask that person to "thank" them because she did not die.

I don't see the logic, if the hospital messed up, had to rectify that mistake by choping off a person limbs, well the fault lies with the hospital, period.
I agree with you. I am a long time L&D nurse and have never heard of such a thing. What I don't understand is how this procedure was completed and she nor her spouse signed a consent form. If her infection was that severe how could she not have been aware. I aree that there was probably some cross contamination. More than likely it is the case of improper hand washing. This is absolutely astonishing. I find it highly unlikely that they opperated on the wrong patient. I know that happens but that is too far reaching for me

southcitymom
08-21-2006, 10:19 AM
on the other hand....

imho
You may be absolutely right that there was no alternative - amputation or death. BUT, the hospital should be more forthcoming about what happened. Their refusal to talk to this woman about a major health crisis is what I think is terrible. To tell a patient to sue you to find out what happened is ludicrous.

Angels_Not_Forgotten
08-21-2006, 12:04 PM
When I gave birth, I had signed a form while being admitted that I would like my husband to have the power to yay or nay a surgical procedure unless it was deemed an immediate risk, where then the doctor had the power to decide. Maybe thats what happened.

southcitymom
08-21-2006, 12:11 PM
When I gave birth, I had signed a form while being admitted that I would like my husband to have the power to yay or nay a surgical procedure unless it was deemed an immediate risk, where then the doctor had the power to decide. Maybe thats what happened.
That's my point. When you go into the hospital to give birth to a child and you come out with a child but missing all of your limbs, someone should tell you what happened. You shouldn't have to guess like this woman and her family seem to be having to do.

CyberLaw
08-21-2006, 03:13 PM
My God if you go into the hospital for any reason and they remove all of your limbs, they should bloodly well be at my bed when I wake up to tell me in detail why my life will never be the same.

I hope if the hospital is to blame in any way shape or form, that this women is afforded enough money to employ 24 hour help, for the rest of her life, also her family will never be the same.

Something just does not add up here.

Jeana (DP)
08-21-2006, 03:29 PM
WASHINGTON - Hospital-acquired infections are worsening in the United States, even though the problem is widely recognized, according to a report issued Monday.

And the problem of such infections provides a good indication of which hospitals are prone to errors overall, the report, from Colorado-based Health Grades Inc, finds.

"Hospital-acquired infections rates worsened by approximately 20 percent from 2000 to 2003 and accounted for 9,552 deaths and $2.60 billion, almost 30 percent of the total excess cost related to the patient safety incidents," the company said in its report.

more:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7700998/

Details
08-21-2006, 04:52 PM
My God if you go into the hospital for any reason and they remove all of your limbs, they should bloodly well be at my bed when I wake up to tell me in detail why my life will never be the same.

I hope if the hospital is to blame in any way shape or form, that this women is afforded enough money to employ 24 hour help, for the rest of her life, also her family will never be the same.

Something just does not add up here.Reading in the previous thread, it wasn't her own medical record and information about what happened that she can't get - she's trying to get the records of other patients. Presumably the ones she caught it from, or maybe to see if anyone else got it? The hospital can't release that info, which is why they've told her she has to sue, to get a judge to release the records, if she wants to see that.

Why it happened is clear - flesh eating bacteria and an emergency - how is an interesting question - through insufficient hygene, or in spite of all reasonable and standard precautions?

kidzndogznme
08-21-2006, 11:24 PM
And was she unconscious when she was transported from one hospital to another? If not, where did she think they were taking her and for what reason? If she was unconscious at the time of transport for whatever reason, the treating drs. had the entire time of transport, prep time for the operating drs. etc. to contact next of kin for permission. I noticed in the article attached by the OP, the woman does not come right out and say she never gave permission for the amputations. I only see her claiming that she wasn't given a good explanation.

I agree. I bet the hospital operated on the wrong patient.
But wouldn't an amputee patient be on a different floor than a OB-GYN patient?
I feel so bad for the mother.:sick:

RubyJune
08-22-2006, 06:46 AM
Apparently she developed a rash a few days after delivery and was told she needed to have a hysterectomy due to an infection....then she went into toxic shock syndrome and was told about the amputation. She married her boyfriend after the amputation while in intensive care. It's at the bottom of this link.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0602/07/pzn.01.html

Amraann
08-22-2006, 11:53 AM
According to that transscript she was aware of the infection and aware and made the decision to have her limbs amputated.

The pending issue is review of how she came to get the infection.
That is why they have to go to court.

"JUDY HYMAN, CLAUDIA MEIJA'S ATTORNEY: She came in healthy, she delivered a healthy baby and she left and was discharged with no limbs. She contracted a terrible bacterial infection. We want to know why. Was it in the hospital? Were there other people that had it? Did they come in with it? Were there safety issues? Hygiene issues? We don't know. And we want to. And she deserves it.

DORNIN: Their attorney says it's part of the patient's right to know, a law passed by Florida voters in 2004. The law gives patients the right to review records of adverse medical incidents including those which could cause injury or death. But hospital officials say the law is being challenged and won't grant Meija's request unless it's resolved."

I think she really has the right to be reembursed for this but she can't prove the hospital is at fault until the appeal about the law to give patients the right to review records of adverse medical incidents is legally resolved.

Jeana (DP)
08-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Good post Amra. I think the hospital is most likely where she picked up the infection. Hospitals are, after all, where patients have the worst crap there is and its all up close and personal. I don't like going and I definately don't like my kids going there to visit anyone. This lady will most likely prevail in her lawsuit and will be awarded some damages, but the fact is that it won't ever "make her whole" again. There are things we, as patients, can do to try and lesson the chances of this sort of thing happening, but unfortunately, its one of those things that happens too frequently. I'm not sure it can ever be 100% prevented, but I hope they can do better.

curious1
08-22-2006, 12:27 PM
First of all she's requesting info on other patients, which is a violation of HIPAA privacy law. ORMC said Mejia is requesting information on if there were other patients or someone on her floor with the streptococcus. They said, if they release that to her, that would be a violation of other patients' rights. I worked in medical malpractice for years, and there's ways to get that information, but she'll most likely never get 'names'.

They can tell her if anyone else on the floor had this infection without releasing their names. But it sounds like the hospital is hiding behind HIPA to not providing even that little bit of information. My guess is cross contamination due to unhygenic practices and they are now trying to cover their a$$e$.

luthersmama
08-22-2006, 01:16 PM
She has received a court order allowing her to see the info.

http://www.topix.net/content/trb/0384157816057894855001320775421072852857

IMHO, the media hype about this case is not helpful. The hospital has to follow rules designed to protect the privacy of ALL patients. It is not an easy situation to be in. The case is horrible enough without the hype.

THe conflict between the FLorida law and the federal law is something that the court had to deal with. THe hospital could not act without a court order.

curious1
08-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Could they have not just told her "Yes there was a case on your floor?" She would at least have had some clue as to what happened. Again, it sounds like they are hiding behind HIPPA to cover their a$$e$. JMHO

luthersmama
08-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Could they have not just told her "Yes there was a case on your floor?" She would at least have had some clue as to what happened. Again, it sounds like they are hiding behind HIPPA to cover their a$$e$. JMHO

But there WASN'T a case on her floor. According to the hospital, now that they are allowed to talk, there were no other cases while she was there or around the time she was there. That doesn't seem to be the answer that she wants to hear.

It isn't as simple as "hiding behind HIPPA". Unfortunately, the best news article from back in January is no longer available. Obviously, she has a horrible situation and is likely to sue no matter what the hospital does. Why risk having a few hundred other patients sue for violations of HIPPAA? She will get the information she needs in plenty of time to file her malpractice case. The hospital is forced to proceed cautiously.

Jeana (DP)
08-22-2006, 02:13 PM

They cannot admit liability. They have to answer to people and there are ways of getting this information that they KNOW will be used against them in court. Can you imagine what their liability provider would say if they knew they were admitting liabililty in a potentially multi-million dollar lawsuit? She most likely did nothing to get herself in this situation, but as much as it sucks, there are things that the hospital must do to protect itself. Either this case will go to trial or they'll reach a settlement, but you can't just expect the hospital to write a blank check.

Paladin
08-22-2006, 02:13 PM
I asked my sister-in-law about this last night who is a doctor that works in a hospital and she said this isn't unheard of. I said infection and immediately she said "oh you mean flesh-eating bacteria?" I was surprised. There's just so many sick people in a hospital, I don't really see how they can control the cleanliness of everything. I think they made a decision to save her life (although a difficult decision), and I don't think she should see a penny. I don't think the hospital is trying to hide or cover up anything.

luthersmama
08-22-2006, 02:19 PM
To make matters worse, this case is being cited by home birth advocates as a prime example of why you should have your baby at home instead of a hospital.

I think home birth can be fine, with a qualified attendant and a mother who has some common sense and who understands the process and the risks, but scaring people into it isn't right.

Details
08-22-2006, 02:25 PM
To make matters worse, this case is being cited by home birth advocates as a prime example of why you should have your baby at home instead of a hospital.

I think home birth can be fine, with a qualified attendant and a mother who has some common sense and who understands the process and the risks, but scaring people into it isn't right.This is just one case - the odds of some other complication that a home birth can't handle and is lifethreatening is far worse than the odds of being the one quadruple amputee.

It sounds like the hospital could be not responsible for this - that's something that people have a hard time with - sometimes there is no one to blame, no one liable - something awful happened to her, and it can never be fixed - but it may not be the hospital's fault.

curious1
08-22-2006, 03:33 PM
This is just another reason we have to stop using antibiotics for everything and stop making everything antibacterial. If you use something 'antibacterial' and you don't use it properly you end up not killing the bacteria just makeing it more resistant. Hospitals use to use more natural ways to control bacteria. If you have something like natural tea tree or I think lavender it has been shown to kill the germs and they don't become resistant to the tea tree or lavender since they are both natural. It was not until after WWII when everyone got on the 'better living through chemicals' bandwagon that we started having these problems. I seem to remember reading somewhere a few years back when I was getting into essential oils that some hospitals were going back to using them to clean because the bacteria would not build up a resistance. I will see if I can find the info. Here is one site.....http://www.manchester.ac.uk/press/newsarchive/title,8376,en.htm

Don't get me wrong modern med is wonderful and there are just some things that cannot be remedied any other way, but we have go overboard. Your kids sneezes, you take him to the dr and he prescribes an anitbiotic when it's really not necessary and some parents won't leave the dr office with out a prescription. They pretty much force the dr's hand. Luckily dr's are becoming more aware of the problems these cause. (And for the record no, I am not a tree hugging liberal, just an informed Conservative.)

GlitchWizard
08-22-2006, 03:40 PM
This is just another reason we have to stop using antibiotics for everything and stop making everything antibacterial. ...(And for the record no, I am not a tree hugging liberal, just an informed Conservative.)
Well, I'm a tree hugger and have the same problem from my angle. The antibacterial detergents/soaps people in Tallahassee and the surrounding areas use, are having an adverse affect on the beautiful waterways and wildlife just South of here. :-(

curious1
08-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Yeah, that's a big problem too. I use only cleaning products that are natural. Did you know that vinegar is good for unclogging drains when mixed with baking soda? Also, it's cool. :cool: Looks like a jr high school volcano project. :p

IdahoMom
08-22-2006, 04:16 PM
A theory, that this women was a victim of poor infection control, as in "another patient".

Flesh eatting disease is "something that gets bad, real quick and people can die from it.

I put money that somehow the hospital is responsible, had to act quick to save her life(because of their fault) and had to take off her limbs.

Flesh eatting disease can kill a person, and it "eats" the tissue and the tissue has to be removed.

That is why the hospital is "hiding" behind how they see the legislation, because it is their own best interest to do so.

I hope thiis women sues for millions of dollars.........My aunt died a couple of years ago from flesh eating bacteria. She had vascular surgery shortly before she was infected (we're sure she was infected during or after surgery). She went back into the hospital at 6 p.m. with flu like symptoms including a very high fever. She was told within a short period that she was going to die. She was dead at around 2 a.m. It killed her very quickly from the time she was diagnosed.

The sad thing is that she was terrified of dying and fought and fought it...she even tried to get out of her hospital bed...as if, if she got up out of that bed, she would be ok. :(

Amraann
08-22-2006, 04:23 PM
They cannot admit liability. They have to answer to people and there are ways of getting this information that they KNOW will be used against them in court. Can you imagine what their liability provider would say if they knew they were admitting liabililty in a potentially multi-million dollar lawsuit? She most likely did nothing to get herself in this situation, but as much as it sucks, there are things that the hospital must do to protect itself. Either this case will go to trial or they'll reach a settlement, but you can't just expect the hospital to write a blank check.
thanks and I agree ...
However it is somewhat possible that the hospital did follow procedure and she still got sick??
I question it because I know this version of strep is remarkably viriluant and hard to fight. In Light of that I wonder if there really is any fault?

Jeana (DP)
08-22-2006, 04:56 PM
thanks and I agree ...
However it is somewhat possible that the hospital did follow procedure and she still got sick??
I question it because I know this version of strep is remarkably viriluant and hard to fight. In Light of that I wonder if there really is any fault?

Sure its possible. Sometimes there is no "fault," or no one to blame. We're growing bateria that's impossible to kill. As someone else posted above, we're taking too many antibiotics. This woman's lawsuit is just going to have to run its course and its a long one. The good news is that she's alive.

Paladin
08-23-2006, 09:22 AM
My aunt died a couple of years ago from flesh eating bacteria. She had vascular surgery shortly before she was infected (we're sure she was infected during or after surgery). She went back into the hospital at 6 p.m. with flu like symptoms including a very high fever. She was told within a short period that she was going to die. She was dead at around 2 a.m. It killed her very quickly from the time she was diagnosed.

The sad thing is that she was terrified of dying and fought and fought it...she even tried to get out of her hospital bed...as if, if she got up out of that bed, she would be ok. :(
I'm sorry to hear that. That must have been terrifying for her to tell her she was going to die within hours.

IdahoMom
08-23-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. That must have been terrifying for her to tell her she was going to die within hours.It WAS terrifying to her. You could see it in her face. She looked at me at one point and said "Help me get out of this bed" :( . It was horrible. I asked her if she wanted me to say a prayer with her and she vigorously shook her head "no". It was obvious she was thinking that I wanted to say a prayer with her because she was dying. :( The nurses brought in a special mattress for her to make her comfortable and they kept giving her more pain meds. I cannot imagine going into the ER with flu symptoms and being told that I would probably die that night!!! UGH. :(

Jeana (DP)
08-23-2006, 12:23 PM
It WAS terrifying to her. You could see it in her face. She looked at me at one point and said "Help me get out of this bed" :( . It was horrible. I asked her if she wanted me to say a prayer with her and she vigorously shook her head "no". It was obvious she was thinking that I wanted to say a prayer with her because she was dying. :( The nurses brought in a special mattress for her to make her comfortable and they kept giving her more pain meds. I cannot imagine going into the ER with flu symptoms and being told that I would probably die that night!!! UGH. :(

I'm so sorry IdahoMom. That's so very sad. You're a strong lady!!! :blowkiss:

IdahoMom
08-23-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm so sorry IdahoMom. That's so very sad. You're a strong lady!!! :blowkiss:Thanks. It was awful, knowing she wasn't at peace with dying and that she was so afraid.
It's the kind of experience that gives us more depth for having been there.
I just wish I could have somehow eased the transition for her. She loved my family so much- she thought my kids walked on water and she treated them that way. I wanted to return the love to her in her most vulnerable time.
It was one of those life altering experiences that make you step back and take stock and consider what is most important, and think "how do I want to live?" :(
ugh....soooo sad.

Jeana (DP)
08-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks. It was awful, knowing she wasn't at peace with dying and that she was so afraid.
It's the kind of experience that gives us more depth for having been there.
I just wish I could have somehow eased the transition for her. She loved my family so much- she thought my kids walked on water and she treated them that way. I wanted to return the love to her in her most vulnerable time.
It was one of those life altering experiences that make you step back and take stock and consider what is most important, and think "how do I want to live?" :(
ugh....soooo sad.

I know you don't think that you did much to ease her suffering, but I think that you're wrong. She wasn't alone, she was surrounded by love. I think that sometimes is the most important thing. When my mother's time was getting near, two of my aunts came to stay and along with myself and my two sisters, we made sure that she was never alone. At least one of us was with her around the clock. I told them I would do whatever they wanted me to do, but that I couldn't handle being there when she died. I just knew I didn't have it in me. It was the day after Christmas and my oldest son was with my fiance and his mother was in from Germany and they were all at my house. We were all at my sister's house where we had been for about a week. That morning we all went in and told her Happy Birthday - she had just turned 49 years old. I was in with her about dinnertime and just talking to her. I don't know if she could hear me, but I told her I loved her and wished her a happy birthday and told her that it was okay for her to go with God. That we were all going to be okay. At that very minute she took her last breath. There wasn't anything scary or gross. She just never took in another breath. I was alone with her and was holding her hand. I just sat there knowing she was gone. I didn't want to let go of her hand.

IdahoMom
08-23-2006, 12:57 PM
I know you don't think that you did much to ease her suffering, but I think that you're wrong. She wasn't alone, she was surrounded by love. I think that sometimes is the most important thing. When my mother's time was getting near, two of my aunts came to stay and along with myself and my two sisters, we made sure that she was never alone. At least one of us was with her around the clock. I told them I would do whatever they wanted me to do, but that I couldn't handle being there when she died. I just knew I didn't have it in me. It was the day after Christmas and my oldest son was with my fiance and his mother was in from Germany and they were all at my house. We were all at my sister's house where we had been for about a week. That morning we all went in and told her Happy Birthday - she had just turned 49 years old. I was in with her about dinnertime and just talking to her. I don't know if she could hear me, but I told her I loved her and wished her a happy birthday and told her that it was okay for her to go with God. That we were all going to be okay. At that very minute she took her last breath. There wasn't anything scary or gross. She just never took in another breath. I was alone with her and was holding her hand. I just sat there knowing she was gone. I didn't want to let go of her hand.
Jeana-
If I was standing next to you right now, I would give you a big hug!! I am happy for you and your Mom that you were with her. That is a gift for both of you. I hear so often about people going once their loved ones say "We will be ok. It's ok to go". I think that is so very poignant.

extra (((hugs))) to you!

Jeana (DP)
08-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Jeana-
If I was standing next to you right now, I would give you a big hug!! I am happy for you and your Mom that you were with her. That is a gift for both of you. I hear so often about people going once their loved ones say "We will be ok. It's ok to go". I think that is so very poignant.

extra (((hugs))) to you!

I'd hug you right back! :blowkiss: They say you don't really grow up until your parents die. In a way, I think that's got some truth to it, but I'd still like to be that kid I was the day before she died. The one thing I did discover is that I'm no longer afraid of dying.

RubyJune
08-24-2006, 08:00 AM
The National Necrotizing Fasciitis Foundation website says symptoms do not have to be present for a person to be carrying the bacteria and infect others. There was a case of a woman delivering a baby by ceaserean (Susan Dougherty) who was infected and died. Apparently there were a couple of others at the same time who contracted the infection and the hospital investigated. It was found that a healthcare worker who treated all of them had 2 children at home with strep throat and was a silent carrier. So who is at fault?

If there are no other cases on the floor it's quite possible a visitor could have come in contact with the bacteria and was a silent carrier.
You can find their website at www.nnff.org (http://www.nnff.org) and read of other cases.

IdahoMom
08-24-2006, 09:54 PM
I'd hug you right back! :blowkiss: They say you don't really grow up until your parents die. In a way, I think that's got some truth to it, but I'd still like to be that kid I was the day before she died. The one thing I did discover is that I'm no longer afraid of dying.
I've heard people that have lost their parents say they suddenly feel alone in the world. :(

Good for you about not being afraid of dying. I'm still scared! I especially don't want to go while my kids are still young.

Thanks for sharing, Jeana. More (((hugs))) to you! :blowkiss:

angelmom
08-25-2006, 02:46 PM
The National Necrotizing Fasciitis Foundation website says symptoms do not have to be present for a person to be carrying the bacteria and infect others. There was a case of a woman delivering a baby by ceaserean (Susan Dougherty) who was infected and died. Apparently there were a couple of others at the same time who contracted the infection and the hospital investigated. It was found that a healthcare worker who treated all of them had 2 children at home with strep throat and was a silent carrier. So who is at fault?

If there are no other cases on the floor it's quite possible a visitor could have come in contact with the bacteria and was a silent carrier.
You can find their website at www.nnff.org (http://www.nnff.org) and read of other cases.

Perhaps no one is at fault. But I do think this woman has a right to know what happened and why. It is a critical part of her grieving process - and she is grieving for the loss of her life as she always dreamed - to learn what happened and accept it.

It has always ticked me off when people say, "They should be thankful to be alive." A person who has gone through something traumatic can be thankful and also grieving at the same time. When a dear friend of ours had an ectopic pregnancy and lost her fallopian tube, the doctor bristled at her tears and told her she was lucky to be alive and should be thankful. She was, but was also very distraught about the loss of her baby, angry that the doctors hadn't found the problem sooner, and devastated about the impact on her future fertility. The emotions are not mutually exclusive. And I think that's small potatoes compared to losing all of your limbs!!! The same goes for being in an accident or being seriously ill and being left disabled. Appreciation for life does not mean you shouldn't be allowed to process the feelings generated by the crisis.

I would think the hospital would have been bending over backward to console her and give her as much information as legally possible after such a nightmare. It reminds me of a study that came out several years ago about people who sue hospitals...many of them said they wouldn't have sued if they had been given an explaination and an apology, but got angry and consulted a lawyer when they were stonewalled.

Paladin
08-25-2006, 02:55 PM
I probably would have rather died than not to be able to touch my child and hold them. I also wouldn't want to be a burden on anyone. It's a tough situation.

luthersmama
08-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Perhaps no one is at fault. But I do think this woman has a right to know what happened and why. It is a critical part of her grieving process - and she is grieving for the loss of her life as she always dreamed - to learn what happened and accept it.

It has always ticked me off when people say, "They should be thankful to be alive." A person who has gone through something traumatic can be thankful and also grieving at the same time. When a dear friend of ours had an ectopic pregnancy and lost her fallopian tube, the doctor bristled at her tears and told her she was lucky to be alive and should be thankful. She was, but was also very distraught about the loss of her baby, angry that the doctors hadn't found the problem sooner, and devastated about the impact on her future fertility. The emotions are not mutually exclusive. And I think that's small potatoes compared to losing all of your limbs!!! The same goes for being in an accident or being seriously ill and being left disabled. Appreciation for life does not mean you shouldn't be allowed to process the feelings generated by the crisis.

I would think the hospital would have been bending over backward to console her and give her as much information as legally possible after such a nightmare. It reminds me of a study that came out several years ago about people who sue hospitals...many of them said they wouldn't have sued if they had been given an explaination and an apology, but got angry and consulted a lawyer when they were stonewalled.

We don't really know the hospital's side of the story. They can't discuss the case publically without violating her privacy.

I feel very sorry for her, but blasting her story to the media isn't helping anyone, unless the donations to her baby's trust fund have benefiitted from the publicity.

chicoliving
04-28-2007, 06:07 AM
A Central Florida woman suing after she lost her arms and legs to flesh-eating bacteria that was contracted during childbirth may have won access to documents specific to her case that so far the hospital has been unwilling to give up, Local 6 News has learned.

Claudia Mejias, 23, originally went to Orlando Regional South Seminole Hospital for the delivery of her son, Matthew.

After Mejias gave birth, doctors told her that she had contracted a flesh-eating bacteria -- with amputation her only option.

http://www.local6.com/news/13213531/detail.html

southcitymom
04-28-2007, 08:53 AM
A Central Florida woman suing after she lost her arms and legs to flesh-eating bacteria that was contracted during childbirth may have won access to documents specific to her case that so far the hospital has been unwilling to give up, Local 6 News has learned.

Claudia Mejias, 23, originally went to Orlando Regional South Seminole Hospital for the delivery of her son, Matthew.

After Mejias gave birth, doctors told her that she had contracted a flesh-eating bacteria -- with amputation her only option.

http://www.local6.com/news/13213531/detail.html

Thanks for posting this update, chicoliving! I truly hope this woman and her family can find the answers they are seeking.

chicoliving
05-21-2007, 04:11 AM
~snip~

The horror that began then still unfolds for the disfigured mother, who has pleaded with hospital officials for two years to turn her medical records over something a judge just ordered.

She and her lawyers believe she either got the infection "group A strep" at the hospital or its doctors and nurses failed to quickly and properly treat it. They are suing the hospital and its parent company, Orlando Regional Healthcare System, seeking unspecified damages.

"I just want the truth," Mejia said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,274116,00.html

crypto6
05-21-2007, 10:10 AM

Dead wrong, on all counts. We don't know the patient didn't have the strep when she came in the first hopital, caught it in the first hospital, in the ambulance, or caught it in the second. There's so little info here that we can't figure out where the infection started, much less the "fault" which lawyers love so much.

T-Rex
05-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Disagree so, so, so strongly.
Had she had a home birth with a midwife, none of this would have ever happened, in my (educated) opinion.