PDA

View Full Version : WA WA - Leah Roberts, 23, Whatcom County, 13 March 2000

Doyle
03-19-2004, 05:42 AM
It's been four years since North Carolina State University student Leah Roberts vanished. Thursday, a new journey begins that her family hopes will bring answers.
http://www.nbc17.com/health/2932803/detail.html

WasBlind
04-15-2004, 03:30 PM
http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/

http://www.haveuseenme.com

Loads of info on both sites, with links to the CUE (community united effort) tour.

Thank you, Monica!!
With love and hope, Lanie

EdinburghLass
11-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Missing Person - Leah T. Roberts

23 Years of Age, 5'6" Tall, 130 lbs.
Home Town: Durham, North Carolina
Left North Carolina March 9, 2000
Veh: 1993 White Jeep Cherokee

Leah left her home town on March 9, 2000. She did not advise anyone of her destination. She left in a white 1993 Jeep Cherokee, North Carolina Lic# JVP-2881. The vehicle was found abandoned on a logging road in Whatcom County on Saturday, March 18, 2000. Receipts in the vehicle show gasoline was purchased in Brooks, Oregon in the early morning hours of Monday, March 13, 2000. A ticket was purchased from the theater at Bellis Fair Mall in Bellingham on March 13, 2000 at 2:10 PM for the movie, American Beauty. Cat food was found in the car which leads investigators to suspect that she may have taken her small kitten with her from North Carolina. No other information is known at this time.

Contact

If you have information concerning the whereabouts of Leah since she left North Carolina on March 9, 2000, please contact the Detective Sergeant of the Whatcom County Sheriff's Office at 360-676-6650 or contact the What Com Dispatch Center at 360-676-6711.

EdinburghLass
11-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Missing Person - Leah T. Roberts

23 Years of Age, 5'6" Tall, 130 lbs.
Home Town: Durham, North Carolina
Left North Carolina March 9, 2000
Veh: 1993 White Jeep Cherokee

Leah left her home town on March 9, 2000. She did not advise anyone of her destination. She left in a white 1993 Jeep Cherokee, North Carolina Lic# JVP-2881. The vehicle was found abandoned on a logging road in Whatcom County on Saturday, March 18, 2000. Receipts in the vehicle show gasoline was purchased in Brooks, Oregon in the early morning hours of Monday, March 13, 2000. A ticket was purchased from the theater at Bellis Fair Mall in Bellingham on March 13, 2000 at 2:10 PM for the movie, American Beauty. Cat food was found in the car which leads investigators to suspect that she may have taken her small kitten with her from North Carolina. No other information is known at this time.

Contact

If you have information concerning the whereabouts of Leah since she left North Carolina on March 9, 2000, please contact the Detective Sergeant of the Whatcom County Sheriff's Office at 360-676-6650 or contact the What Com Dispatch Center at 360-676-6711.

EdinburghLass
11-02-2005, 10:00 AM
www.findleah.org (http://www.findleah.org/)

EdinburghLass
11-02-2005, 10:00 AM
www.findleah.org (http://www.findleah.org/)

jodierenee
07-02-2006, 11:15 PM
leah with long hair:

http://www.unsolved.com/0127-Roberts.html

bumping for leah....it's been six years.

jodierenee
07-02-2006, 11:15 PM
leah with long hair:

http://www.unsolved.com/0127-Roberts.html

bumping for leah....it's been six years.

jodierenee
07-02-2006, 11:24 PM
the note that leah left for her roomate-

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?acf7449c3e.jpg

jodierenee
07-02-2006, 11:24 PM

EdinburghLass
07-02-2006, 11:45 PM
This is such a sad case. Due to her car being found wrecked, we can only hope that she has amnesia or similar and does not know who she is.

Poor Leah and her family.. :sick:

EdinburghLass
07-02-2006, 11:45 PM
This is such a sad case. Due to her car being found wrecked, we can only hope that she has amnesia or similar and does not know who she is.

Poor Leah and her family.. :sick:

HollywoodBound
09-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Do any Websleuthers have any theories on what happened here? I've been reading articles on this case and found a few interesting details.
The note she left for her roommate was found after they reported her missing.
Sheets were covering the broken windows of her car however many contents of her car were taken out of the car and put on the ground surronding it. No blood was in the car.
I also read it has been thought the accident looked staged in some ways. I'll look for more on that.

EdinburghLass
09-17-2006, 06:34 PM
From what I have read it sounds to me like Leah perhaps was mentally ill. I believe that she was not acting rationally and perhaps a car accident compounded this similar to Kristi Krebs case - not sure if you are familiar with this.

I believe she may still be alive and homeless or hitchhiking across the country. I hope this is the case anyway unless she met with foul play along the way.

HollywoodBound
09-17-2006, 07:49 PM
In the note she makes a reference to Jack Kerouac who wrote of the area where the car was found, particularly Desolation Peak.
I wonder if she tried to make it to the peak.
http://www.beatangel.com/Desolation.html
When I read further about the car it said the joggers who found it went looking down the embankment because clothing items were snagged to tree limbs along the road. It sounds like she wanted the car and contents to be found.
I think the hitchhiking/homeless theory is possible but with the show being on unsolved mysteries it sounds like someone somewhere would recognize her.

reb
09-17-2006, 10:05 PM
that's the first time i've seen that note....... how strange. seems like she may have had some kind of epiphany & wanted to get away from it all... also it seems like her friends may have thought she was suicidal,, which is why she said she wasn't, she was 'the opposite'-- which suggests a state of euphoria... maybe brought on by the mental stress of being in her senior year (along with her parent's death & possible residual injury from the first car accident)... so it seems that people were worried about her. but what is odd, is that in the same note, she said some contradictory things... like 'here's money for the bills while i'm gone' and 'see you soon', which suggests she was coming back... but then, 'don't worry... time passes quickly.. have faith in me, you, everyone" and "give peter my laptop" makes it sound more like she is saying good-bye (and giving things away suggests suicide). 'see you soon' could have also meant, 'see you soon (after death)- because life passes quickly'.
it's all very vague and cryptic, and perhaps she didn't even know what she was searching for, or what she was going to do once she got to where she was going.
other things that are odd: driving cross country in THREE DAYS. that pretty much means she didn't sleep, and drove straight though without stopping for very long... which also strongly suggests a manic state. (unless..... someone was with her and helped with the driving...??? sometimes i think this is a reason why people run away mysteriously and suddenly, on their own accord-- they meet someone they have a strong connection with, and don't want to reveal it to anyone for fear of criticism, or.. 'they just wouldn't understand'. so, perhaps she met someone that no one else knew about?)

the fact that she went to see 'american beauty' suggests that she was not so much in a whacked-out or tormented state of mind that she couldn't see a popular movie... since they only found one ticket, she either went by herself, of if she was with someone- they could have paid & given her her ticket, or they both paid for their own.

either way, it certainly appears that she skidded off the road in the rain- or perhaps a lack of sleep & her mental state contributed to this.. & had a possible head injury.. maybe remained in the car all night due to the darkness & weather, and there was nowhere to go... covered the car with the blankets (to keep out the rain, or keep warm?)... maybe by the next day she was hungry, disoriented, desperate, lost, in pain or with a possible concussion.. all of which can impair your judgement.. and went up to the road for help & was picked up by someone with evil intentions.

the description says the car was wrecked, so i'm assuming that means undrivable- plus it was down an embankment, which means she probably wouldn't have been able to drive back up anyway. the windows being broken means one (or both) of 2 things: 1) if the accident was that bad, she probably bumped her head- but maybe not bad enough to bleed, since there was no blood found- or- 2), someone broke in after she left the car-- or while she was in the car. (but, they would've had to know she was down there.. if you couldn't see the car from the road).
it's also possible that she was speeding to get away from someone who was following her, when she wrecked.

OR.............. back to the beginning: maybe she really was suicidal-- and when she wrecked the car & was immobilized, it was more than she could take. telling friends 'i'm not suicidal, i'm the opposite' could still mean you are thinking about ending your life but view it as a type of freedom. or, perhaps she just didn't want her friends to worry. this possibility makes me think of the case of minna sandmeyer.. no one even considered suicide because she seemed happy, healthy, was socially active and well-loved. she also was a young (20-something) lady searching for meaning in life... and went off alone on a solitary bike trip.. everyone suspected she was abducted, so when they found her in the woods it was quite a shock.

http://thue.stanford.edu/jacquie/minna/

however, in leah's case, they already looked far & wide, and found no body...

strange they never found the kitten... did it just get loose & then perish in the woods? or they never found any food receipts... what/where was she eating? that could have offered some clues.. unless due to her mental state, she *wasn't* eating...

any other ideas?

gardenmom
09-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Maybe she was not in the car when it crashed. Maybe she put it in gear and it rolled down the embankment. But, that does not explain the blankets in the windshield, unless that was also staged. It would explain why the kitty was not in the car too, although that would mean she had another carrier to put it in. I would check to see if she had bought another cat carrier prior to leaving for her trip. I don't know if it was Jack Keroac, but I remember reading about someone who got rid of all their belongings and lived off the land for awhile. I hope she turns up some where.

mattsmom
09-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally by HollywoodBound

The note she left for her roommate was found after they reported her missing.

Some questions: Was the money she mentioned in the note found with the it? Where was it found and why wasn't it found right away? When was she reported missing?

Some thoughts: She may have become lost in the forest and never made it back to her car. And I think that the weather up there is not great in March if you are out in the elements alone. But she may have also simply walked away from her car if she wrecked it.

I hope that she is alive - it is definitely a possibility.

reb
09-17-2006, 11:01 PM
it is possible... but seems more & more unlikely (sadly)... considering it's been almost 7 years. if she was alive, you'd think someone, somewhere would have seen or identified her by now-- unless she hitchhiked to canada or alaska & is in some small town hiding somewhere (and she had no reason to hide, really)... or totally lost her mind, is now homeless & unrecognizable. it seems more likely that her mental instability (which everything points to) may have impaired her judgement & put her in danger. apparently, predators target young women who are alone, lost & confused.

but of course it would be great if she did turn up alive.. you just never know.

HollywoodBound
09-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Some questions: Was the money she mentioned in the note found with the it? Where was it found and why wasn't it found right away? When was she reported missing?
In the note it said 'this is to cover bills for while I am gone' so I would assume the money was with the note.
She's reported missing on March 13th and the note found the next day March 14th. The car is found on March 18th down the embankment.
This was not a regular road she drove off of. It was a logging road. I'm not sure if that is important or not but it seems to me that someone could wait hours before a car passes on a logging road.
Can anyone infer why she took the cat and if she had plans not to return would she still take the cat or leave it?
On the note she drew a Cheshire cat which is significant because the Cheshire cat is fictional and tends to point out philosophical things.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire_Cat
It sounds like she is in deep thought on this trip but taking the cat and then not finding it is significant I think.

HollywoodBound
09-18-2006, 09:06 AM
I found pictures of the area where Leah's car went off the road. One picture still has debris from her car. You need to scroll down about half way on the link to get to the pictures:
http://audreymayherron.expage.com/id46.html
I wasn't expecting a paved road so it appears much more traveled then I assumed.

HollywoodBound
09-18-2006, 09:06 AM
I found pictures of the area where Leah's car went off the road. One picture still has debris from her car. You need to scroll down about half way on the link to get to the pictures:
http://audreymayherron.expage.com/id46.html
I wasn't expecting a paved road so it appears much more traveled then I assumed.

reb
09-18-2006, 06:07 PM
i don't see the cheshire cat...?

as for her kitten, if leah crashed & it got lost, it probably would have just kept wandering until it either died & got eaten or learned to survive out there in the woods.. i don't know how a young domesticated cat would do in a situation like that...

HollywoodBound
09-18-2006, 07:36 PM
This is the Cheshire cat she drew and pointed an arrow at it. I think it was with the note on a separate sheet of paper.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m77/active78/Leahsnote.jpg

HollywoodBound
09-19-2006, 07:28 PM
I have another question this time about how LE determines whether a sighting or witness is credible. The following is taken from Leah's Unsolved Mysteries page:
"An anonymous tipster called investigators a few days after the disappearance and said his wife had definitely seen Leah at a Texaco gas station in Everett, about 30 miles from Seattle. She appeared, he said, to be confused and disoriented. Cops consider the sighting valid - but before they could get more information from the man, including his name, he panicked and hung up."

To me the man who called seemed the opposite of credible. I mean he's with his wife when he sees her why is he so panicky and why did he not call back or write LE without leaving his name.

From what I've read LE very much feels this is a credible sighting even though they don't have his name and he hung up on them. They do know it was a Texaco and in the town of Everett, I wonder if LE got the security tapes from the day he saw her and they feel it's Leah on the tape?

EdinburghLass
09-19-2006, 08:21 PM
The other reason they may say he is credible is perhaps because of some details he may have given. Maybe she had some distinguishing features that he noted or something similar.

If they had the tapes, you would think they would release them so that people could be aware of what Leah last looked like?

reb
09-19-2006, 08:25 PM
i thought that was odd too.. why did the guy call and not the wife- since he said it was his wife who saw her? and why hang up, what was he afraid of? was he involved in something illegal (selling dope or something) and didn't want the police to have his contact info or talk to him any more? was he afraid the police was think he was involved? i mean,, why on earth would you bother to call in the first place.....?

HollywoodBound
09-20-2006, 10:30 AM
i thought that was odd too.. why did the guy call and not the wife- since he said it was his wife who saw her? and why hang up, what was he afraid of? was he involved in something illegal (selling dope or something) and didn't want the police to have his contact info or talk to him any more? was he afraid the police was think he was involved? i mean,, why on earth would you bother to call in the first place.....?When I first read the article I assumed the man was with his wife when she saw her. Now I see the man is just saying his wife saw her which I guess means not him. I can't imagine why the wife wouldn't call unless she felt it was not Leah but her husband jumped all over it and called himself.

On the Unsolved Mysteries site and others they list a bunch of theories including she hitchhiked after the accident and ran into foul play, or she hit her head and now is living on the streets, or the car was being driven by unknown individuals and Leah was not in it. None of the theories include the one that popped into my head the first time I read this story and that is she went into the mountain after the accident for unknown reasons. I wonder why this does not seem to be a theory ever mentioned. Any ideas?

As far as the accident being staged. Authorities believe the car was traveling over 30 mph when the accident occured. Could she really have staged an accident with the car going that fast? I would think she would of had to put it in gear and roll it like gardenmmom said.

The unknown driver theory seems plausible but would this person really snag clothing to the side of the road where the accident occured which made the jogger investigate what is down the embankment. Seems to me that the last thing an unknown driver would want is the car to be found right away, it's just evidence, the unknown driver can not get the car back or they would have to answer for Leah's whereabouts.

I also question how she would be well enough to put a marker on the side of the road, cover the broken windshield, and then hitch a ride but would not take her mother's engagement ring and her money.

What do you all think?

reb
09-20-2006, 11:59 AM
you mean, after the accident she just wandered into the woods & did of exposure? that seems possible too. i wonder how much of the woods was searched in that area. but i am thinking if someone was injured and desperate, they would probably go up to the road and try to get help- get a ride with the next person that came along. if she wandered off in the woods then she may have had a worse injury & been really out of it... or maybe if she was in the car for a few days she was dehydrated & trying to find water....?

2luvmy
09-20-2006, 12:56 PM
The website regarding desolation point indicated that there was not water around and it had to be packed in. I wonder if she got in the wreck and just figured I'll hike the rest of the way and then comeback to the car later and somethig happened to her along the way.

However, the thousands of dollars left in the car baffles me. I don't get that.

HollywoodBound
09-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Kerouac's book refers to abandoning a middle class life to live mountaineering and hiking which could be why she left the things she did. To me though none of the theories quite add up given the rest of the evidence. It does seem like she wanted the car to be found. I still wonder what role the kitten played in this. Was it hurt in the accident, in which case she could have had extreme guilt feelings. It rained a lot and there was a big lake there so water wouldn't have been a problem the day of the accident but it would if she started traveling up the mountain.

mattsmom
09-20-2006, 04:23 PM
I wonder if the blankets covered the broken windows not only to keep rain out but to keep the kitten in. The kitten may have bolted away at some point and Leah may have taken off after it. I don't know how remote or rugged that territory is but I keep remembering how easily Garrett Bardsley (and other scouts) got lost in dense forest. If Leah had no survival training and was chasing a cat she may have become lost. That could explain her leaving the money behind.

I don't know what to think about the way she spelled Kerouac as Ker-O-Wack in the note. She either found inspiration to live in his writings or she found him ironic like I do since his own love of life didn't stop him from drinking himself to death (really no disrespect meant here though).

I haven't read "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac but does April 23 mean anything in that book? If not then why does the note have that date on it?

reb
09-21-2006, 01:28 AM
wandering off the find the kitten, leaving the $ behind.. wow, that's a great theory- hadn't thought of that. i really wish there was more info about if people searched the woods thoroughly, or not.

HollywoodBound
09-21-2006, 02:08 PM
After writing 'ker o wac' in the note it looks like she made a 'sp?' so maybe she truly couldn't spell it (it is a tough one), or the spelling meant something.

April 23 doesn't match up with anything I can think of. I wonder if April 23 was her intended day to return, it's about 6 weeks from her departure date of March. Or it could just mean something to who the note was writen to.

I read more about the accident itself. The jeep took out a lot of small trees and other vegetation when it rolled down the embankment. The brush around this area was extremely thick to the point where one would have to fight through it just to walk. LE said there is no indication she tried to make a path through the thick brush so they think she went up the embankment where the car came down.

They did bring in dogs but I have not read they followed a scent, rain and time passing may have hampered that.

My feeling is that she was alone with the cat in the car when the accident occured and walked back up the embankment with the cat, intentionally leaving her stuff, and was not thinking clearly. The kitten was small and there was cat food in the car so even if she had left it I can't imagine it venturing very far and it was no where around.

I originally thought the jacket and other clothing snagged at the road was for someone to notice and find the car but it also could be she did that so she could find the car again. Or perhaps it indicates that if she saw a passing motorist she was going to tell them where the accident happened and to look for the marker she left, which suggests she had no intention of getting in a car with anyone to show them herself (ie she had other plans).

Now after she gets to the road that's a mystery. My feeling, with no evidence to support it, is that she headed back the way she came and possibly intended to return to the car. What ever happened after that caused her not to return to the car. Maybe she was going back to an area she had previously seen while driving around the cascades but who knows.

HollywoodBound
09-23-2006, 05:25 PM
I haven't read "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac but does April 23 mean anything in that book? If not then why does the note have that date on it?

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?acf7449c3e.jpgI just realized Easter was April 23rd in 2000. She asks the roommate to help someone with Easter preparations and then mentioned the date.

HollywoodBound
09-25-2006, 07:50 PM

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?acf7449c3e.jpgDid anyone notice on the note she left for her roommate there are sections that look like they have been cut out after the note was scanned? One cut out area on the left about the $100 she owes looks like it could be Lee's last name but on the others I can't guess what it would be. The other cut areas are after 'fun for the children' and 'give Peter my laptop'. Just seems odd.

Another thing about the note is she included the year 2000 on it. If I was writing a note to a roommate because I was taking a trip I might include the day/month especially if the roommate might not find it right away but the year I couldn't imagine including unless I was planning on being gone for more than a year. I wonder if that's just me and other people write years on notes?

Couple other things I read. The note was on Leah's own dresser which is why the roommate didn't see it right away. The kitten's name was 'Be' as in "She'll Just Be'. Prior to the accident Leah was at a bar and was talking to a guy for a while. They questioned him after the accident but he got a lawyer so they couldn't continue.

reb
09-25-2006, 10:48 PM
HB-- where are you finding this info?

WhiteWolf
09-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Did anyone notice on the note she left for her roommate there are sections that look like they have been cut out after the note was scanned? One cut out area on the left about the $100 she owes looks like it could be Lee's last name but on the others I can't guess what it would be. The other cut areas are after 'fun for the children' and 'give Peter my laptop'. Just seems odd.

Another thing about the note is she included the year 2000 on it. If I was writing a note to a roommate because I was taking a trip I might include the day/month especially if the roommate might not find it right away but the year I couldn't imagine including unless I was planning on being gone for more than a year. I wonder if that's just me and other people write years on notes?

Couple other things I read. The note was on Leah's own dresser which is why the roommate didn't see it right away. The kitten's name was 'Be' as in "She'll Just Be'. Prior to the accident Leah was at a bar and was talking to a guy for a while. They questioned him after the accident but he got a lawyer so they couldn't continue.

I live in Whatcom County and have camped off the Canyon Creek Road. Do you have the name of the bar and the man's name that Leah talked to?

HollywoodBound
09-26-2006, 10:17 AM
HB-- where are you finding this info?Reb: If you go to the http://www.findleah.org link there is a link under Leah's pictures called PowerPoint Presentation. If you click and download the presentation (only takes a minute or two) there is a lot of info not found on the web. A bunch of newspaper articles regarding Leah are included, some are hard to read because of the print size. That's where I got most of the info on Leah, some info on the accident itself is from Audrey Herron's site.

WhiteWolf: The part about the man in the bar is in the article with the date 4/11/2000 on it and it's the 3rd to the last paragraph. It does not include his name and only said 'a bar' not the name of it. Did you live there when this happened? Did you hear anything?

WhiteWolf
09-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Reb: If you go to the http://www.findleah.org link there is a link under Leah's pictures called PowerPoint Presentation. If you click and download the presentation (only takes a minute or two) there is a lot of info not found on the web. A bunch of newspaper articles regarding Leah are included, some are hard to read because of the print size. That's where I got most of the info on Leah, some info on the accident itself is from Audrey Herron's site.

WhiteWolf: The part about the man in the bar is in the article with the date 4/11/2000 on it and it's the 3rd to the last paragraph. It does not include his name and only said 'a bar' not the name of it. Did you live there when this happened? Did you hear anything?

HollywoodBound, I've lived here 40yrs. I don't get the Bellingham Herald paper so I didn't hear of Leah's disappearance at the time. I think I saw a flier about her later on, but I didn't get the detail about her going off the Canyon Creek Road. I can't read the powerpoint presentation (PDF file) on Leah's website because I have WebTV.

Canyon Creek Road is north off of the Mt. Baker Highway, and is partially paved for the first 4-5 miles then it turns to gravel. Most of the road is one lane with turnouts for cars to pass going opposite directions. I don't see Leah finding the Canyon Creek RD at night because the Mt Baker Highway is a very dark highway without any street lamps, and the CCRd isn't well marked. There is a bar called the Frosty Inn on the MBH not far from the CCRd cutoff. I wonder if that was the bar?

HollywoodBound
09-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Canyon Creek Road is north off of the Mt. Baker Highway, and is partially paved for the first 4-5 miles then it turns to gravel. Most of the road is one lane with turnouts for cars to pass going opposite directions. I don't see Leah finding the Canyon Creek RD at night because the Mt Baker Highway is a very dark highway without any street lamps, and the CCRd isn't well marked. There is a bar called the Frosty Inn on the MBH not far from the CCRd cutoff. I wonder if that was the bar?They found the car on March 18th which is 5 days after she last uses her debit card on March 13th. On the audreymayherron link http://audreymayherron.expage.com/id46.html
it says under the pictures of CCRd that it was not light and raining when Leah traveled the road. I don't know how they know that, it seems like something they couldn't know by just finding the car with no one in it. Any ideas?

In one of the articles it said the windshield was smashed and they did luminol tests on the glass because there was no blood visible and that tested for traces of blood and there was none. Also they added that if anyone was in the car they did not hit glass or the steering wheel or do any damage to the drivers seat.

I know I wrote earlier it sounded like she was in the car alone when it went off the embankment but now I think it sounds more like the car started rolling from the top of a hill on the road and then went over the embankment with no one in it. If there is no hill where the accident happened then I don't think this could be due to the speed they think she was traveling. It's hard to tell from the pictures if there is a hill right there or not. Also it said on the link above that debris from the accident still sits there, wonder if it's just they never quite picked it all up or they left it for a reason?

reb
09-26-2006, 01:50 PM
WOW-- i didn't even think of that... that puts a whole new spin on things. so somehow she got separated from her car, either at that spot or somewhere else... and someone either pushed her car over the embankment after they abducted her... or drove it up there themselves and did that.

i would like to know if investigators or the family had a mechanic had look at the car to determine whether she had car trouble. it's possible that she was in her car by the side of the road, and someone asked if she needed help & picked her up. then they came back and pushed her car over the edge.

i would also like to know more about that guy she was seen in the bar with. was either of them drunk? was this guy a regular, or was he ever seen there again?
you know... if police contacted me about being the last person to speak to a missing individual,, i would like to think i would do everything i could to help them out.
just the fact that this guy immediately hired a lawyer either tells me that he's got a guilty conscience... ot he's just extremely selfish. why else would someone do that? is it really that dangerous to talk to police, if you haven't done anything wrong???

another thing that might be good to know... did leah smoke pot, or was she involved in drugs in any way? this would obviously make her more suseptible to running into trouble.

HollywoodBound
09-26-2006, 02:34 PM
I read nothing about how much she had to drink. I think if the car was pushed it was by Leah only because it sounds like someone had to go out of their way to put not 1 but 2 articles of clothing out by the road. I just can't imagine an abductor doing that. I do wonder if she met up with someone bad but I'm not sure they had anything to do with her car's accident. It would be a very sad coincidence if she staged the accident to get away from life for a while and then ran into an abductor who took her.

The description of the mountain search said a lot was done by air. If she's intentionally hiding an air search wouldn't help I don't think. I think that a plane search would be more for a lost hiker willing to get some kind of signal to the plane to say I'm down here.

I also don't know if the bar guy was a regular but they were able to find him for questioning so someone must of known him or he came forward.

Whitewolf, if you don't mind, can you describe the Mount Baker Highway a little. I know you said it's dark but is it still fairly heavily traveled? I'm wondering why no witnesses saw a woman walking if she indeed went up the embankment and made it to MBhwy. Maybe it's so rarely traveled she could walk along it and never be passed by a car?

reb
09-26-2006, 02:36 PM
i just read the whole article about the CUE group including leah's siblings.. what an amazing thing they did!

why would she bring her mother's engagement ring?
some ideas:
she wanted something to feel close to her mother (being on a spiritual journey or crisis):
she knew she might not return or wanted to disappear & wanted to take it with her
she had it in case she became financially strapped & needed to pawn it
she had met someone (online?) & went out there to possibly get married (probably a long shot).

and why bring her passport, unless she was thinking about going to canada?
there's also something odd about the fact that she told no one about her trip.... she left the note to her roommate in her room, instead of the kitchen or someplace where it would be found immediately. it was if she wanted to get far before anyone would notice she was gone- and she seems to have achieved that. (but why would her roommate not step into her room to see if anything was amiss BEFORE the MP report was filed? it says the note was found the day after they filed the report. strange.......!!)

other questions:

(looking at the powerpoint files:)
why did it take 12 days from the time her jeep was found, until the time they discovered her credit card, lisence, & cash inside......???

what do her college friends think about her state of mind before she dropped out of school & left-- was she under stress? having a crisis? it's a fairly drastic thing to drop out of college altogether when you are doing well in your classes (assuming she was?).

back to the car rolling end-over-end down the hill, the windows being smashed, the lack of blood or any evidence that she was hurt... it's still possible she was in the jeep when it rolled. with her seatbelt on, she could have been held against the seat from centrifugal force, and maybe some other objects smashed against the windshield.

reb
09-26-2006, 02:53 PM
it says her car was off an abandoned logging road. makes you wonder what kind of creeps frequent those roads.. and why? what are they up to... trolling for lost victims?

i wonder also if her being a vegetarian had anything to do with her odd state of mind, or her running off the road. when i was a vegeatrian i became so anemic (even though i was eating everything you are supposed to, on that type of diet!) that i was almost blacking out. my red blood cell count was almost off the chart. i was dealing with extreme exhaustion, light-headedness.. and you know, part of that "spiritual" feeling of lightness that many vegeatarians claim to feel actually comes from lack of oxygen to the brain (and body). and it's very difficult to think clearly... much less do anything else!
now that i'm not one anymore, i can see others who do follow that type of diet are often this way. (not all, so don't get offended, folks!) but the truth is that many are. i travelled cross-country with 2 vegetarians on different trips, and they would fall asleep at the drop of a hat (not while driving thank god!). they were always hungry, easily fatigued and very out-of-it... a perfect example of what i'm talking about.

now in the photos leahs certainly does look healthy enough, so maybe she was fine. but i hope her siblings checked any doctor's records of hers prior to her trip. did she have her blood tested recently, and if so, was she anemic? or were there any other imbalances that showed up?

once again, i wonder if she stopped to eat? strange that there is a record for her gas purchases but none for food... and that was a LOT of driving she did in only a few days. most people get hungry twice a day, if not 3 times or more! this makes me wonder if she was fasting...?? sometimes people do that when they are on a self-reflective journey. (or, a manic/euphoric state). this could have contributed to her state of mind.. confusion, or fatigue, etc.

HollywoodBound
09-26-2006, 02:53 PM
When the joggers looked down they saw the car with the contents checkbook etc outside the vehicle so it could just be that 12 days later it was actually released to the public. I see what you're saying though, they made it sound like they could not walk around the car without stepping on the stuff yet they didn't find it for 12 days.

I wonder if the laptop left behind that was to be given to a friend had any evidence?

Sounded like the opposite of stress sitting in a coffee house writing and reading but I think she was deeply pondering things about life which could be extremely stressful.

I think in that article about the car it was implying that if the seat belt was on the seat would have taken a huge amount of force and it didn't appear to. If the seatbelt is not on then she would have hit the glass. I think even with the seatbelt on the splash of glass that occured would be enough for at least some to be on the luminol test but I don't know?

I wonder if the clothing out by the road had something to do with the contents of the jeep, especially her mother's ring, and she wanted it to be found not sit there for months or even years.

reb
09-26-2006, 03:06 PM
yet another thought- she could have pulled over to the side of the road to sleep in the back seat.. thinking she was in the middle of nowhere & no one would see her... kind of like camping. and some creep came across her, took her, pushed the jeep... or maybe she just didn't have the emergency brake on, and the car rolled forward, and tumbled (& since she was in the back seat, she didn't hit the windshield. OK, wait a minute.. if she went off the side- for whatever reason, then she would have to be facing the edge (not parallel to the edge).. so... the place where the car went over would have to come after a curve in the road......... right?

also she could have been disoriented in the dark and tried to make a U-turn, overshot herself & went over the edge.

HollywoodBound
09-26-2006, 03:14 PM
She ate at the mall where she saw the movie on the 13th. I'm not sure about other times and it could be she paid cash for food which is why it's not documented like the gas.

I still want to know how they know she traveled the road at night? They knew it was night and it was raining and I can't seem to connect how they connected that.

They list a bunch of items in the car or around it but I don't see any mention of the items they believe she had with her like things missing from her NC home that are not in or around the car like:
The journal she writes in at the coffee house
Pictures of family/friends
Other sentimental items like gifts
Did she leave the cat carrier in the car or was it taken.

I actually didn't read she had a carrier at all-I'm just assuming.
Wonder if she really left the accident scene with just the cat.

Another question, she stayed in a hotel for like 18 hours did she mingle with people or go right to her room and then checkout. Wonder what her demeaner was like (other than tired) when she checked in.

HollywoodBound
09-26-2006, 08:04 PM
A couple other things LE might know that would be interesting:

Leah smoked but they didn't say how much. At any of the gas stations or anywhere else did she stock up on cigarettes if so were they in the car or taken? If she was planning on traveling on foot I can't imagine a smoker not wanting enough for the trip.

Also I wonder if she took the keys to the car, I don't see that mentioned anywhere. Did anyone read anything about the keys? Missing persons cases usually say the car was found locked with no keys or keys on the floor etc. If the window is smashed and a lot of her stuff is outside there's really no point in locking the car wonder if she did anyway and took the keys with her. Or left them in the ingnition. Or were they still in the on position in the ignition but the crash knocked the engine out.

WhiteWolf
09-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Mt. Baker Highway is two-laned and pretty well traveled year around, especially during ski and camping seasons. A lot of the logging roads off the MBH are used by site-seers, hunters, 4 wheelers, ATV's, snowmobilers, hikers and campers. There are year around houses, farms, ranches, resorts, campgrounds, cabins, rv lots, etc., along the MBH.

When we have camped on the CCR we have always seen some traffic, especially on the weekends. If Leah made it back up the embankment on the CCR, and if she had stayed by the side of the road because of injury, someone would have come by within a few hours. It also wasn't clear to me if she went off the road going up or coming down. I did recognize the area with the cement barriers on the hillside, and that would be on the passenger side going up the hill. Don't forget, the road climbs constantly to the top, and it's fairly narrow (mostly one lane with turnouts) with a lot of curves.

I don't know how they figured it wasn't light and raining when she went off the road unless the jogger went jogging up there every day at the same time, and he/she/they didn't see Leah's car the morning or early afternoon the day before while they were jogging.

WhiteWolf
09-27-2006, 10:50 AM
I just thought of something after I posted about it being dark and raining when Leah went off the road. Duh, this is Washington, and maybe it had been raining on and off for the days she was last seen and her car found. Also, maybe her wipers and headlights were still turned on? Fog would be another reason for her lights to be on even if it wasn't dark yet.

HollywoodBound
09-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the info WW. I took the 'not light' comment on the site to mean that it was nightime or late evening not that the rain and clouds made it dark. That' very possible though. I forgot how much rain WA gets.

I was trying to do a little survey for the sex offenders in the area where the car was found. I went familywatchdog.us and put in Bellingham and mount baker highway and it could not locate MBhwy in Bellingham. Does this area have another town name? I also used mapquest and found a town name Kendall with a Canyon Creek Road but the watch dog site could not find Kendall as even being a town.

That Frosty bar you mentioned could be where she went, it's an Inn and she was tired, maybe she was thinking of staying there but ended up just going to the bar and met someone.

If LE knows it was dark and raining when she crashed they probably know the day it happened which is important because if they don't know for sure and just made a guess who's to say she didn't go to the bar/Inn after the accident.

WhiteWolf
09-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the info WW. I took the 'not light' comment on the site to mean that it was nightime or late evening not that the rain and clouds made it dark. That' very possible though. I forgot how much rain WA gets.

I was trying to do a little survey for the sex offenders in the area where the car was found. I went familywatchdog.us and put in Bellingham and mount baker highway and it could not locate MBhwy in Bellingham. Does this area have another town name? I also used mapquest and found a town name Kendall with a Canyon Creek Road but the watch dog site could not find Kendall as even being a town.

That Frosty bar you mentioned could be where she went, it's an Inn and she was tired, maybe she was thinking of staying there but ended up just going to the bar and met someone.

If LE knows it was dark and raining when she crashed they probably know the day it happened which is important because if they don't know for sure and just made a guess who's to say she didn't go to the bar/Inn after the accident.

Bellingham is where the county seat is located and they list their sex offenders separate from the rest of Whatcom County. Kendall, Maple Falls, Deming, and Glacier may be listed just under Whatcom County.

The Frosty Inn is a bar and restaurant in Glacier right on the MBH. There is a hotel/motel not far from there, though. I'm wondering if she was sleeping in the Jeep part of the time since there were sheets or blankets put on the broken windows of the Jeep.

I know I wouldn't have wanted to be out there on the highway alone. Not that it's usually unsafe, but it is out in the boonies, and a lot of people who live so far from town do so for a reason. We always bring a shotgun and pistol along when we go camping up there. On some of the logging roads, if you walk off the road, it's not unusual to find some half-ass shelter built by someone living in the woods. It gives me the creeps to find them when we've been hunting because they look lived in, but you never see the occupants.

reb
09-27-2006, 10:14 PM
that is creepy. i wish LE would be more aggressive with those who just 'set up camp' permanently in the woods (everywhere). i know sometimes they are just drunks or bums or many are criminals- or at least creepy weirdos. people should be able to go to wooded areas without having to worry about murderers lurking about. if someone wants to be homeless, there are plenty of shelters where they can go & get help. i wish i could 'live & let live'.. but, sorry- there are just too many evil people out there these days.

HollywoodBound
09-28-2006, 12:15 PM
I agree. Coming across man made shacks must be scary when hiking. I'd tip toe the other way hoping not to see anyone.

I did find out her car keys were still in the ignition. Also, I thought she told no one she was taking this trip but it turns out she told her guitar teacher she was going out west for a while but would return. Most music teachers I think would ask where are you going and when are you coming back. Wonder how this whole conversation went. Why tell the guitar teacher and no one else? Maybe so she wouldn't have tons of appointments that she couldn't show for, that's all I can think of.

So, are you all leaning toward an abductor took Leah after her car went off the embankment, or that she acted alone and created an accident scene and then disappeared? My feeling is that she did the accident part all on her own and then left the scene to explore. Maybe later hooked up with some new friends (or bad people) but I'm not sure.
She left NC leaving behind valuable things (laptop) and made people worry by not saying she was going and leaving the note in her own room. When she got to WA she did the same thing, left valuables behind ($, ring etc) and again made people worry.

I know she was probably not thinking clearly but why would she be so elusive and not just say I'm taking a trip for weeks or months so don't worry? Sadly, it almost seems like she wanted the search for her and wanted people to worry. And at the accident scene why drape clothes at the road so people find the car but no sign Leah or the cat, more searching and more worrying.

reb
09-28-2006, 03:31 PM
i just have a hard time believeing a 23- yr old would want to disappear voluntarily.. she had good relationships with her siblongs, no drug problem (that we know of), no debts (drugs or otherwise), was well-liked by friends, not in an abusive relationship, no reason to run from the law or want to change her identity. she just seemed to be soul-searching. besides, wouldn't she just cross the border to canada if she wanted to run away? she had her passport so she could do that, why leave it behind in your car? and why leave your car in the first place? it seems that she'd just drive the car to wherever she was going, because she'd need it!

after rolling this around in my head over & over, i would say my best guess is:

she may or may nor have been going through some type of mild breakdown or had some stress-induced emotional condition, that caused her to have to get away abruptly and not tell anyone what she was doing. so from the beginning she wasn't thinking exactly clearly. after arriving in WA, she was trying to find the "beatnik" mountain... drove up there.. perhaps had some crazy idea of going up there close to nighttime to look at the stars, sleep in her car... have total solitude. and from either daydreaming/not paying attention, not being sure of the route, not enough light, going too fast, the rain/fog, maybe even being tipsy (if she'd just left the bar)... she skidded off the embankment. she hit her head & had a concussion (not enough of an injury to draw blood).. and spent the night in the car, putting the sheets over the broken windows to keep out the cold. then in the morning she was scared, disoriented, maybe in pain.. and she climbed up & started walking. the reason she left her keys in the ignition & other valuables behind was because she wasn't thinking clearly. (or, she got abducted before she could grab them). and then she met up with the wrong person at the right time... someone who offered to give her a ride back down so she could go to the emergency room.

acatually.. this makes me wonder if her siblings checked emergency room records, in case she did make it back into town.........???

to me, this seems like the most likely scenario (and i know it's already been thought of). thoughts??

HollywoodBound
09-29-2006, 10:08 AM
I hope they checked the ER too. Though she had no ID to give them so she could have said any name.

I think you're feeling is possible though to me that would mean she disappeared on her own from NC and then disappeared by amnesia or an abductor days later. Just seems unlikely to me. Also, LE said there is no evidence anyone was in the car when it crashed and I think that if someone were in the car there must be at least some evidence. The car was found upright but it had flipped end over end so that was quite a brutal accident, and not just the windshield was broken, they said several windows were broken too. That's a lot of glass, sharp cracked glass.

I think more can be drawn from her note too. In the note she never said she was leaving only 'this is to cover bills for while I am gone' and never exactly said she is returning only 'see you soon'. Seems to show uncertainty. And again why write the year on a note to a roommate? When I lived on campus in college we wrote notes to eachother all the time if one of us were leaving to go somewhere and no one was around to tell. If my roommate ever put the year on a note I'd say to myself- why the heck does she think I don't know what year it is---how strange.

I thought when I read the powerpoint timeline that more could be drawn from her credit card use too. She left on March 9th and right away checks into a hotel on the 10th. Then she makes it all the way to WA without checking into another hotel ever again. I was trying figure out why she would not also stay in a hotel in WA since she's there on the 13th and driving around and hadn't used her card to stay in one for days. Leah's sister can track her charges, and on the 10th Leah's not even missing a whole day (I think she checks in at 8AM), her sister had no reason to check right away because there is no extreme cause for alarm if she's not even missing 24 hours. If Leah stays in a hotel in WA by the time she wakes up the next morning her sister could very well be knocking on her door because she's being filed as a MP and everyone's worried, so she would hop a flight to talk to Leah.
On the 13th Leah's alone on the gas station camera and seen alone other places but she's not doing anything that could result in her family being able to walk right up to her. The point I'm trying to make is she appears to be hiding from her family and friends (or at least not wanting to be found) even before her car is crashed.

reb
09-29-2006, 08:24 PM
but-- what reason did she have to disappear & hide from her family?? by all accounts she was close to her siblings, on good terms with them & her friends also. that just doesn't add up to me. and she always made a point to tell her sister not to worry about her.

the note was strange though.. kind of cryptic & sad, but also very light-hearted and carefree.. if she was distressed she was certainly hiding it well... and maybe she was hiding her feelings because she didn't like people worrying. someone must have been concerned (the roommate?), due to the "suicidal" comment.

the fact that she rushed across the country so fast is puzzling too. usually when you go on a road trip, you want to take time to enjoy the ride a bit! maybe she just wanted to get to a place that was spiritually meaningful to her, as fast as possible. maybe there was an event (band??) she wanted to see, and she was trying to get there by a certain date. or maybe she was just trying to save money.

as for the way the car was found, i still think it's possible that someone can flip their car and come out relatively unscathed.. it does happen sometimes. or, like i said earlier, maybe she was just stopped by the side of the road, and someone came up on her car & took her by surprise. (then later, pushed the car off). or she had car trouble & they offered to take her into town. here's yet another possiblity-- someone posing as a cop. i wonder if there's been any other reports in WA of men approaching women like this around that time, and if LE has looked into this?

i wish her siblings knew about this thread, it would be interesting to see what they have to say,, although it might be painful... since they've spent so much time & effort trying to figure it out for the past 6 years.

HollywoodBound
10-03-2006, 11:46 AM
but-- what reason did she have to disappear & hide from her family??

the fact that she rushed across the country so fast is puzzling too.
I don't know the reason I think only she knows. I think the rushing shows that at that time she didn't have a huge interest in seeing the places she crossed to get to WA. Kind of like her heart was already set on getting to her destination.

I wonder what experts would say about the note. Do suicidal people usually claim they are not suicidal and want to live or do they usually admit it when they are writing a note that they are leaving?

If someone other than Leah pushed the car I can't think of why the clothing would be out at the road? Also, why throw the contents of the car outside of it? It's a Jeep Cherokee, so it seems like plenty of room.

I also can't understand how she had a bump to the head (or other injury) that caused her not to take the engagement ring and $2000+ yet she knows to cover the windows and drape clothes so the car is found, and take the cat. To make things more mysterious items were picked up and thrown out of the car. I guess they could have been ejected as the accident happened but I don't know.

Back to the note. I had looked up and Easter was on April 23rd in 2000 but why is that off to the side with writing that does not concern Easter. I wonder if the date meant something else.

Animal04216
10-09-2006, 10:26 AM
I copied the discussion and theories posts to missing/located discussion forum--thread is named the same as here.

OneLostGrl
10-13-2006, 12:21 AM
Do suicidal people usually claim they are not suicidal and want to live or do they usually admit it when they are writing a note that they are leaving?

Wow! What a strange case! I wonder what the heck happened to Leah?!?!
I can't get my darn computer to download the power point thingy! :boohoo: :mad:

I would think if a person were totally set on disappearing and committing suicide- they would do just that.. disapear. I doubt they'd even bother leaving a note. I think the note writers would be more apt to write the note then kill themselves right there.

I'm no expert though- I'm just saying.

pardilia
10-31-2006, 02:12 PM
I think writing the year on the note just shows how she usually writes the date. If she was habitually writing in a diary, chances are she puts the month, day, and year on her entries.

I know when I write a note to someone, I write the date on it the way I always do on anything else I date.

About the money to pay for her bills - I think the important thing to note would be how long would the money have lasted to cover her bills? A few weeks or months? Or until the lease was up?

My guess would be she is in the woods. If she were running away, she would have taken her mother's ring and the money - not to mention her id and passport.

Bobbisangel
11-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Nothing has been heard of Leah? I'm wondering why she chose Washington to head for. Did LE go through her laptop to see if she might have met someone online from Washington or Canada?

I think that she may have been driving to fast on that logging road and pitched over the side. As someone said that lives in that area the road is windy and narrow and it would be easy in the dusk and in rainy weather to misjudge distance and go over the side. If I were in my vehicle and wrecked and survived I would hang clothes out so that if I left I would be able to find the place that I wrecked. It's just strange that she didn't take her money and the ring with her when she left. Did she take her passport? You would think that if she left everything else behind she would have taken her money though. By covering the broken windows she must have tried to keep the jeep warm for awhile anyway.

It seems like the whole mystery is where Leah went after she left her vehicle. Did she get picked up by someone who wasn't a nice person? If someone did something to her and dumped her body somewhere it could be years before she is ever found. There is so much woods in that area. In March when she was last heard of it had to have been colder then heck. I live not that far from Mt. Baker and Bellingham and right now it is cold as all get out a night. Feels like it is going to snow. I can't imagine being outside at night and especially in the woods where it is probably even colder all the time.

It's also curious why Leah didn't tell her family that she was going on a trip and how long she was planning to be gone and where she was going. I just wonder if she didn't meet someone online and was going to spend some time with them but didn't make it there or maybe she did manage to contact them after the accident and something happened. I hope LE went over her laptop.

HollywoodBound
06-16-2007, 02:35 PM
The Herald-Sun (Durham, NC)

June 12, 2007 Tuesday
Final Edition

METRO; Pg. C1

613 words

Tour aims to raise awareness of missing;
Leah Roberts vanished in '00 on cross-country trek
BRIANNE DOPART bdopart@heraldsun.com; 419-6684

Kara Roberts believes it could have been the promise of a new life that led her sister, Durham native Leah Roberts, to get into her 1993 Jeep Cherokee and drive to the Pacific Northwest seven years ago.Before her disappearance in March 2000, Leah Roberts was an aspiring writer who loved "On the Road" writer Jack Kerouac, her sister said Monday. She may have been hoping to pen a new chapter in her life the day she jotted a note to her roommates at her Raleigh residence, packed her mother's engagement ring and a substantial amount of cash and left for the west coast.Leah Roberts, then 23, was 15 credit hours shy of graduating from college and in the process of putting her life back together. Her mother, Nancy Roberts, died in 1997 from heart failure and her father, Stancil Roberts, succumbed to a long illness in 1999, her sister said. Unwilling to give up hope of finding their baby sister, siblings Kara and Heath Roberts have worked tirelessly in an attempt to keep her memory alive and her name in the press with the hope that someday they'll find the answers to questions plaguing them since Leah Roberts vanished."The past seven years have been tough," Kara Roberts said of her family's ordeal. "I think everyone's experienced what it's like to lose someone for a moment. You kind of know what it's like when you lose sight of your child in a store and the panic you feel. Imagine that feeling spread over seven years."Part of the mystery revolves around a departure letter."Remember," Leah Roberts wrote in a March 9, 2000, note left for her roommates along with money covering a month's worth of rent and bills, "everyone is together in thoughts and prayers and time passes quickly. Have faith in me, yourself, everyone...Tell Kara don't worry (even though she will)."Next to her message is an added, circled message: "April 23 'On the Road' No I'm not suicidal I am the opposite -- Remember Jack Kerowack (sic)?"Credit card records and surveillance video shed light on Leah Roberts' journey in the nine days between her departure and the discovery of her banged-up Cherokee in a state park near Bellingham, Wash. On March 10, Leah spent the night in a Memphis, Tenn., hotel. By March 12, she'd made it to Oregon, and on March 13, the same day her family was filing a missing persons report (they had yet to find Leah Roberts' note) she went to see her favorite movie, "American Beauty.""Basically, the trail stopped there in Bellingham, Washington ... And we're still looking for her," Kara Roberts said. "We haven't given up hope. Leah went missing in Washington, but maybe there's someone around here who remembers something she may have told them."In a cross-country tour beginning this week and inspired by Leah Roberts' journey titled "On the Road to Remember," the Roberts siblings and Monica Caison, director of the CUE Center for Missing Persons, hope to raise awareness of Leah's disappearance and cases like hers.The first tour was held in 2004 for the express purpose of garnering leads in Leah Roberts' case. The tour got so much attention from media and families who themselves were waiting for answers about their own loved ones' disappearances that Caison and the Roberts decided to make the tour an annual event, dedicating each cross-country trek to a different missing person.The Roberts ask that anyone with information about Leah's disappearance or whereabouts contact the Whatcom County (Washington) Sheriff's Department at (360) 676-6650, or (360) 676-7722, or the CUE Center for Missing Persons at (910) 232-1687.For tour infoFor more information about the tour or its next stops, go to the CUE Center's Web site at www.ncmissingpersons.org (http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/www.ncmissingpersons.org).

The Herald-Sun | C.F. Ward Heath Roberts (from left), Monica Caison and Kara Roberts take turns speaking to raise awareness of missing persons at Bay 7 of the American Tobacco Campus on Monday.

June 13, 2007

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:626203454&start=15

reb
10-01-2007, 10:48 PM
bumping for Leah.............. I haven't forgotten.

azure
10-31-2007, 03:16 AM
Bumping for Leah. I read this case for the first time today and found it very intriguing. Unfortunately, many of the websites referenced have since gone down.

I hope that someday Leah is located and her family and friends get the closure they deserve.

thefox60
11-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Sorry to butt in, but has anyone thought that the items were 'staged' around the wreck of the car? Almost like they were a memorial to the end of a chapter in Leah's life.
Was the reference to April 23rd the date she expected to be where she was heading & where she was going to resurrect herself as someone else?
I don't know the Jack Kerouac book - but could she have adopted the name of a character from it to start a new chapter in her life?
Again, sorry for butting in, but I just wondered if it had been looked at.

HollywoodBound
11-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Sorry to butt in, but has anyone thought that the items were 'staged' around the wreck of the car? Almost like they were a memorial to the end of a chapter in Leah's life.
Was the reference to April 23rd the date she expected to be where she was heading & where she was going to resurrect herself as someone else?
I don't know the Jack Kerouac book - but could she have adopted the name of a character from it to start a new chapter in her life?
Again, sorry for butting in, but I just wondered if it had been looked at.

April 23rd is the date of Easter. She mentioned something about Easter and then wrote the date.
Parts of this trip don't seem staged, more like she was acting in the moment but I know what you mean.
I had thought of the book references too. I don't know why someone would not want any money to start a new life, I mean she left everything behind. She was going to have a real tough time having no money and being so far from home...

reb
11-14-2007, 07:45 PM
This case just doesn't sound like someone who would have left everything to start a new life-- unless there was something bad (or illegal) she was trying to escape... and there's no evidence of this. My theory is still that she had somewhat of a breakdown, after her parents' deaths and the stress of school, and took off on a 'self-discovery' trip (which seems to have been an impulsive act at the time)... and was maybe not thinking clearly (or, shall we say, maybe not using the best judgment..) and she was going up the mountain to get away from it all, and to be near the spot in the Kerouac book, when she veered off the road in the rain, was injured and in a state of semi-shock, and stayed in the car for a night or 2, but eventually realized that no one would find her unless she started walking. She must have not been thinking straight since she didn't take her wallet & grandmother's ring... or perhaps she was only thinking about survival, or she just forgot. And then, she was picked up by some evil person. Maybe I'm wrong.... but that seems to me to be the most likelt scenario.. unfortauntely. Thoughts......???

BethInAK
11-14-2007, 08:24 PM
I think she may have been hypothermic and walked into the woods, to perish after staying in the car a day or two.

HollywoodBound
11-15-2007, 10:44 AM
I think she may have been hypothermic and walked into the woods, to perish after staying in the car a day or two.

I wonder how accurate the sighting in the gas station was. Maybe she had the cat with her and that made it likely to be Leah. If that is the case then she probably didn't walk into the woods right after the accident. It says on the missing persons summary that she may be traveling with her cat. It's interesting that the cat carrier was left in the car, she didn't take the cat in the carrier but must have been holding it if she still had it with her.

HollywoodBound
03-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Bumping this thread:
It was 8 years ago today that Leah was last seen in NC.
http://www.nampn.org/cases/roberts_leah.html

LillyRush
04-05-2008, 03:26 AM
I don't understand why the items outside of her car are believed to be staged? The accident, or whatever you want to call it, was strong enough that the jeep rolled over (at least once) and all the windows were smashed. Is it not possible that the impact was also strong enough to toss the items all over the place outside of the car? Even if there was some clothing on the trees. That doesn't mean it was strategically placed there, imo. It sounds to me like these things could have easily flung out of the car while it was flipping over and just have fallen where ever, including on top of any shrubs that were around the area. Sorry, I'm just not following the theory that all of those things were staged - by her or anyone else.

The story about the guy she met in a bar is interesting. If it is true that most of the searches were done by air and not foot, then there certainly is a possibility that her remains are still out there somewhere. In that case, I wouldn't rule out foul play. I mean, it was just a little less than 2 years ago that a mother and daughter were shot and killed in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest while hiking. Their murder is still unsolved. I wonder if they are working on making any sort of connection between the two.

I know there's a thread somewhere, but just for reference - I am referring to Mary Cooper and Susanna Stodden:
Police: Mother and daughter were shot on hiking trail
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/277599_hikers15ww.html

Marisa714
04-06-2008, 02:42 AM
Does this remind anyone else of what happened w/Maura Murray? The book, the accident, the mountains....not saying they are related but when I read about Leah it totally reminded me of Maura...

LillyRush
04-06-2008, 04:35 AM
There are some similarities, yes. In Maura's case, her family was at least able to do some ground searches. Although, I do remember that some local home/landowners were opposed to that and seemed to grow to dislike Maura's father.

While I do think that neither Leah or Maura were in the proper frame of mind to really navigate any type of road trip successfully and be fully cautious of their surroundings, I think it is really a shame that women traveling alone are so much more vulnerable. I also think that if this has been a 20-something yr old guy, many people would not have been looking at this trip like it was such a crazy idea.

ohwell1971
04-27-2008, 01:12 PM
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/roberts_leah.html

UMfanforever
04-29-2008, 08:23 PM
A few questions: did she have her license with her, or did she leave that behind; has she used her Social Security number since?

reb
05-03-2008, 06:27 PM
wow.. that's too bad.. her own website is no longer up.

lisag
05-09-2008, 08:43 AM
I dont think she had her own website, did she? The original newspaper links are no longer valid, but her charley progect link is still active....

Sad case...

HollywoodBound
05-09-2008, 10:20 AM
She had her own website FindLeah.org

I wonder if the website was taken down due to the leg bone being found:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61047
I kind of doubt it though because there has been no update on the bone being IDed.

gaia227
05-09-2008, 12:50 PM
They can extract DNA from bones that are 5-10,000 yrs old so I would imagine obviously the same can be done for more recent remains. It seems to be a rather involved process.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=102752

Some sources regarding DNA extraction from skeletal remains:

From the National Criminal Justice Reference Service: http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publications/abstract.aspx?ID=206532

National Center for Biotechnology Info:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7557753

froggierintexas
09-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Possible Match?

https://identifyus.org/?p=case&i=1794&pos=0&s=DateFound_DESC&from=search

HollywoodBound
09-25-2008, 06:20 PM
I don't think it looks like her in the picture. Several things match though....the birthmark and the femur surgery...but I don't think it's her.

EdinburghLass
03-10-2009, 11:41 PM
I just went back and re-read the whole thread. Leah's website seems to be permanently gone. The wayback archive machine has the last 'sighting' of the active site in Jan 2008. I am sad that the link to the letter she left her roommate is also gone. If anyone can figure out a way to find it again, I would be eternally grateful.

I am not too good but I might go and see if there are any UID's that match Leah's description on any database I can find.

UMfanforever
04-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Hi, I noticed the site is gone as well. The site is still owned according to WHOIS by Heath Roberts (according to Archive.org, her brother). Too sad. Maybe they just decided to give up.

HollywoodBound
05-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Leah's site is back up:
http://www.findleah.org/

dreamweaver
05-20-2009, 01:56 PM
I clicked on web site link.
The power point presentation link does not work.
I emailed Heath R about the website.

Lurker Steve
06-16-2009, 11:21 AM
They still haven't figured out what happened to this poor woman :(

Hypothermia makes some sense - remember what happened to James Kim.

I'm not sure exactly where her car was found along Canyon Creek Road, but looking at the NWTrails maps, it doesn't look like there are any hiking trails along that part of the road, so it's entirely possible that nobody has discovered her remains had she gone wandering off.

And - as much as I hate to say this - this is about the right age for someone's latest schizophrenia to kick in. So perhaps she went "Chris McCandless."

gaia227
11-16-2009, 05:17 PM
True Crime Diary blog just did a write up about Leah's disappearence. I thought it gave me a good reason to bump the thread. It is truly baffling.

http://www.truecrimediary.com/index.cfm?page=cases&id=110

West
11-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I think the April 23 date is important...Easter. Rebirth? Maybe Leah was traveling around for a few weeks and marked 4/23 when she would begin a "new phase" of her life?

It seems interesting that she paid the bills for about a month, which would indicate to me that she would be returning in about 30 days. I don't think I would feel okay about stiffing my roommate/friend on my rent and bills payment if I was planning on disappearing.

Also, driving cross country in 3 days is intense. To go from Tennessee to Oregon is a HUGE distance to cover in 2 days (according to her hotel, money trails). What was the rush to get out there? If I'm on a soul searching journey, trying to channel Kerouac, I would take my time driving xcountry, seeing sights/national parks etc. 3 days is, like another poster said, almost driving all day and way into the night straight through. It seems like she was in quite a hurry...was she meeting up with someone? Did she have any contacts in that region? Was her computer ever searched? Had she done any extensive travel out West before? Had she been to Oregon/WA area in the past?

PaulR
03-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Just thinking about Leah today... :(

maggieo
03-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Just thinking about Leah today... :(

I think about Leah often. Something about her story has always touched me. I hope one day her family and the world find out what happened to her.

PaulR
03-28-2010, 07:49 PM
I think about Leah often. Something about her story has always touched me. I hope one day her family and the world find out what happened to her.

I just noticed that (as of a few weeks ago) it's been the tenth anniversary of her disappearance.

Her brother still keeps findleah.org up, bless him.

future criminologist
02-21-2011, 11:37 PM
bumping for Leah...her case was on "Disappeared" tonight.

A few thoughts on this case:
- I wonder if the police checked the position of the seat when they found the car - if it would have been appropriate for Leah's height?

- I'm also wondering if she or the person who harmed her put a block on the gas pedal and sent it down the embankment to crash on purpose, and that there was actually no one driving it.

- From what we know of her, she's easily open with strangers and has no problem meeting new people when she's alone. She makes herself an easy target in this way, especially driving on the road - letting strangers know she's taking a trip on her own, her family won't be looking for her etc. The fact that she talked to two men at the lunch place and told them of her trip ALONE tells me that she was not as street-smart as she thought; way too trusting, and a predator would see her as an easy target. If it were me I would not be sharing that information with strangers I'd just met, let alone strange men, or going anywhere with anyone I'd just met while alone on the road.

nola
02-22-2011, 03:20 AM
Just watched Leah's story on the ID network's Disappeared.There is so much more to this story than found on the many different missing sites. For one, it seems that her jeep had evidence of being tampered with (found out recently by detectives)- making it possible that the car would have been able to accelerate on it's own. From the photos shown on the tv program the windshield was completely busted out of the truck, but there was no indication of blood in or near the car. The jeep was busted up pretty bad...I am not so sure anyone was in the car when it went over the side.
There have been eye witnesses who remember seeing and talking with Leah at the local mall in a restaurant on 3/13/00 prior to the movie time.
I think that Leah made friends with the wrong person at the mall in that small WA town - either before, during or after attending the movie (ticket was found in her car for the 10 pm show for the night of 3/13). That person followed her afterwards - doing God only knows what to this poor young girl. In my opinion, this person sent the vehicle over the side of that embankment to hide her car and throw suspicion away from him.
So sad that there are too many places in that vast part of the country to hide a body.

MLE
02-22-2011, 03:49 AM
I was very impressed with the cop who inherited the case and is doing his best to solve it and has come up with so much important evidence that had been previously overlooked. You sure don't see many public servants like him anymore. He's great.

CMac2
02-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Just watched Leah's story on the ID network's Disappeared.There is so much more to this story than found on the many different missing sites. For one, it seems that her jeep had evidence of being tampered with (found out recently by detectives)- making it possible that the car would have been able to accelerate on it's own. From the photos shown on the tv program the windshield was completely busted out of the truck, but there was no indication of blood in or near the car. The jeep was busted up pretty bad...I am not so sure anyone was in the car when it went over the side.
There have been eye witnesses who remember seeing and talking with Leah at the local mall in a restaurant on 3/13/00 prior to the movie time.
I think that Leah made friends with the wrong person at the mall in that small WA town - either before, during or after attending the movie (ticket was found in her car for the 10 pm show for the night of 3/13). That person followed her afterwards - doing God only knows what to this poor young girl. In my opinion, this person sent the vehicle over the side of that embankment to hide her car and throw suspicion away from him.
So sad that there are too many places in that vast part of the country to hide a body.

I saw this too, and was shocked to learn that LE don't even think she was inside the vehicle when it went over the embankment. There were also some unidentified fingerprints found under the hood, and male DNA located on some of the articles found inside the Jeep.

cluciano63
02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I watched this show last night too and it seems that LE is waiting for the DNA results even now? But that the fingerprints found under the hood did not match the man from the bar. I'm not sure which of her items had DNA on it and whether it will turn out to mean anything. But LE seems to feel sure that someone rigged the car to go over the embankment and that Leah would not have known how to do it.

lucymoosey
02-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Hi all,
I am new to Websleuths, but saw this case on Disappeared last night on the ID channel, and just been thinking about it ever since. I had a question- not sure if anyone can answer- does anyone think the blankets which were hanging from the windows were placed there before the crash? I.e.- if Leah was camping/sleeping in the truck on previous nights- maybe she had placed them there for privacy and to block out the sun while she was sleeping? Is it possible they were placed there before the crash, or would they have fallen off during the crash?
Thoughts?
LM

OldSteve
02-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi all,
I am new to Websleuths, but saw this case on Disappeared last night on the ID channel, and just been thinking about it ever since. I had a question- not sure if anyone can answer- does anyone think the blankets which were hanging from the windows were placed there before the crash? I.e.- if Leah was camping/sleeping in the truck on previous nights- maybe she had placed them there for privacy and to block out the sun while she was sleeping? Is it possible they were placed there before the crash, or would they have fallen off during the crash?
Thoughts?
LM

The blankets on the windows were strange - but no mention made as to when they were placed.. Also the pants (think that's what they said) that had all her money in them - no mention made where they were in the car or trunk.
Most amazing was that the original LE team never checked under the hood of the car.
New cold case team found something around the started motor (a cover removed?) and something done so the car could be started without anyone in the car - allowing it run on it's own off the road.
I was left with the conclusion that the when the car was run off the road, Leah was not in it, thus nothing around the car showed her leaving it.

OldSteve
02-23-2011, 08:24 PM
I watched this show last night too and it seems that LE is waiting for the DNA results even now? But that the fingerprints found under the hood did not match the man from the bar. I'm not sure which of her items had DNA on it and whether it will turn out to mean anything. But LE seems to feel sure that someone rigged the car to go over the embankment and that Leah would not have known how to do it.

In the gas station video, remember she looked out at her car - I thought she might have been looking at someone she let check under her hood, and possibly that's when the starter was tampered with. (Though timeline would be wrong since after that she went to eat and then saw a movie, if I have that correct?)

cluciano63
02-23-2011, 09:47 PM
I was thinking that whoever killed her, tampered with her car afterward in order to get it to go down over that embankment.

I kind of thought she was looking to see what pump # she was at, when she looked out the window, I always forget by the time I get inside to pay.

*zoe*
02-25-2011, 03:17 PM
I agree, I got the impression that LE believed that the cars' mexchanism was tampered with to simply get it moving w/o a person behind the wheel. The theory is that someone did this seconds before the car barreled down the ravine.
I couldn't wait until this episode of Disappeared came on. I've been following Leah's case for years. However, the show didn't much delve into the clothing, towels, etc that covered the windows of the Jeep (so rain wouldn't get in?). I thought they'd do more with that than merely mention it! If everyone assumes that no one was in the car when it ended up totaled on the side of the mountain, then why did it seem as if someone as living in the car? Because after the accident the windows were smashed out, different items were used as curtains almost, to keep the elements from the car. Why is this?
All of the evidence points to a crime of passion, to me, unplanned and spontaneous. Leah's money, little more than a couple thousand, was still in one of her unworn jeans pocket, along with her deceased mother's ring that was found under the floorboard. It might not have been robbery... but was her wallet/purse ever found or mentioned? No one would think to look in someones clothing for a stash.
What does it all mean? Has there been updates pertaining to the DNA?

OldSteve
02-25-2011, 05:15 PM
I agree, I got the impression that LE believed that the cars' mexchanism was tampered with to simply get it moving w/o a person behind the wheel. The theory is that someone did this seconds before the car barreled down the ravine.
I couldn't wait until this episode of Disappeared came on. I've been following Leah's case for years. However, the show didn't much delve into the clothing, towels, etc that covered the windows of the Jeep (so rain wouldn't get in?). I thought they'd do more with that than merely mention it! If everyone assumes that no one was in the car when it ended up totaled on the side of the mountain, then why did it seem as if someone as living in the car? Because after the accident the windows were smashed out, different items were used as curtains almost, to keep the elements from the car. Why is this?
All of the evidence points to a crime of passion, to me, unplanned and spontaneous. Leah's money, little more than a couple thousand, was still in one of her unworn jeans pocket, along with her deceased mother's ring that was found under the floorboard. It might not have been robbery... but was her wallet/purse ever found or mentioned? No one would think to look in someones clothing for a stash.
What does it all mean? Has there been updates pertaining to the DNA?

It was my thought after seeing the Discovery show that her car was ditched someplace other than where she used it to sleep in or had been in it last.... the windows being covered is strange, how far would a perp drive a car like as it would call attention to himself. Did she drive it like that? Seems she had only gotten into town - had a meal, saw a movie, and then something happened to her.

Also, it seemed like her cloths were kept in her car all these years - could that be true?

*zoe*
04-25-2011, 08:21 PM
yeah, apparently. the car had gone undiscovered for a bit in WA, but after it was removed from the woods Leah's sister held onto it. I think she kept it in police dept storage (?) just in case more evidence could be taken from it. And thank God she did! Thats exactly why LE had the opportunity to look under the hood....
I honestly cannot think why the windows would've been covered like they were with the towels, etc. What transient is living up in the mountains of Washington in a smashed up car? Its too weird.

liljim
05-04-2011, 09:13 PM
nobody ever stayed in the car imo, the whole thing was staged to look exactly like what most people ended up thinking it was...

imo someone killed leah, then drove the car into the woods, rigged it to drive off the cliff, staged the scene to look she survived the accident and sheltered herself in the car for however long and then wandered off and doesnt know who she is/died etc...

this same person then called the police later to report that "hey that girl you say is missing, yeah my wife and i saw her and she was disoriented and didnt know who she was"... *click*

and that is exactly what most people guessed happened for a long time. thankfully that detective went and re-examined the vehicle.

the Disappeared show did a real bad job explaining what the current state of the investigation is at the end of the show. left me with a lot of questions that i hope the current investigator has pursued.

Leomoon80
06-11-2011, 01:31 AM
Does anyone know if Leah (and her cat) were sleeping in that car or do the receipts show she used hotel/motel rooms in her travel across country and especially in Washington?

Sounds to me, like they have now the DNA they need to move ahead in this case. With a vehicle "rigged" such as this one, sounds like foul play to me.

Leomoon80
06-11-2011, 02:34 AM
I forgot to ask also, on the ID program, they showed Leah going into a convenience store, I think it was the 13th, to buy something, and they showed her looking out the window at something (or someone)...

Did anyone happen to catch the time she was there and craning her neck to look outside the window?

I'm thinking someone was outside waiting for her.
Perhaps in her car already.

PaulR
06-11-2011, 11:43 AM
It looks like findleah.org is down :-(

I missed this episode, does anyone remember what the mods made to the car were? I'm wondering if maybe they were made sometime during the trip, just to get the car running.

It doesn't make a lot of sense that someone would take the risk of climbing down the embankment after a setup to place blankets in the window. You've got glass that can cut you and leave DNA behind. A lack of blankets would lead investigators to think that she immediately left the car.

Bellingham isn't that small of a town (80K), for the record. The mall in question is right off I-5, visible from the Interstate. I don't think the list of movies playing is visible from I-5.

IF Leah didn't get any gas starting in Brooks, then her tank would have been getting close to empty by the time she got to Bellingham, that's a 300 mile trip.

The fuel capacity of a 1993 Jeep Cherokee is 22 gallons, and mileage is 19 combined city-highway. So you'd be looking at a 418-or-so mile range. Her gas tank would have been 1/4 full, and she would be setting off for Mount Baker, another 40 miles away, with only the occasional gas station and certainly nothing once she entered the park (and even a non-local would have guessed that.) In other words, she almost certain refueled sometime after Brooks, Oregon.

It would be pretty easy to verify the claims of the person who called to say they saw her fueling up in Everett, that's only 60 miles so her tank would have been close to full. I'd say it would be a safe assumption that she was always filling up the car, she certainly had the cash. So if the police measured the amount of gas in the car, they'd be able to verify at least that part of the story. In fact, they may be able to tell approximately the last time she filled up.

As far as the car being found on a logging road - there are logging roads and there are logging roads. Some really don't go anywhere except up a mountain. Some are in decent shape and are common roads for people looking for a place to hike (or ski during the winter) travel on. I've been on those before.

That a jogger found her car means it was probably one of the latter. I don't see why someone - presumably a local - would dump her car in an area where people are jogging. Consider the chances of being seen! And the car being found quickly. There are plenty of logging roads that basically go nowhere where the car could be dumped at and probably wouldn't have been found for months.

Lastly - she left North Carolina on March 9. She was in Brooks, Oregon on March 13. That's NOT a lot of time to cross the country. I know she really wanted to get to Washington State, which may explained why she hauled, er, you know, across the country, but she also didn't seem to stop and "smell the roses" once she entered the state; she filled up on the morning on the 13th in Oregon, and went through 250 miles of Washington State apparently without stopping and enjoying the beauty of the state. March 13 was also a Monday, meaning she'd be fighting traffic in Portland/Vancouver, Olympia, Tacoma, and Seattle. Driving all this way to get to Washington and then going to a movie that you could have seen anywhere in the country? I don't get it. Yes, Kerouac's novel was set in Whatcom County where Bellingham in located - but you don't stop to check out Seattle when she probably drove right through it?

Not a lot about this case makes a lot of sense, but Leah's actions don't make much sense either to me.

reb
07-29-2011, 12:44 AM
where is leah....???

helenjean
11-08-2011, 01:27 AM
i don't know if this was mentioned at all before, but i know that it was revealed either on Disappeared or in an article that one of the men in the restaurant with Leah, sitting up at the bar, next to her, who claimed she left with the man on her other side, has knowledge of machinery - particularly vehicles. He also had a difficult time providing a description of the other man he insisted she left with. I know there were valuables left in her car, but I believe foul play came to her before the car was crashed and it was an attempt to make her disappearance look more like an accident. No blood or other evidence consistent with someone being in such a car crash was found in vehicle either, which I find strange. Just odd that investigators found her car to have been tampered with, and a look into one of the witnesses at the bar/restaurant happened to be very knowledgeable when it came to vehicles, motors, machines, etc.

Day Dreamer
01-02-2012, 10:07 PM
I just finished watching a rerun of Leah's case on Disappeared. I'm not sure if they edited to add more details or not.

At the bar, a guy she was chatting w/ contacted LE to say that he remembered having a conversation w/ her. He stated she was also chatting w/ a guy on the other side of her (sitting at the bar). LE tracked down the second man. His story did not match the story of the first man who came forward. The first man said Leah left the bar alone.

The second guy stated that Leah left the bar w/ a man named Barry. He gave such a detailed description that LE generated a sketch based on his description. Only, the description was a little too detailed.

After speaking to LE, the second man moved to Canada (which strikes me as odd). It took LE 2 years to get his fingerprints and DNA through Canadian LE. His fingerprints did not match the prints located under the hood. They were going to compare the DNA to male DNA located on some type of property owned by Leah that was found in the wrecked vehicle. Then the show ends w/out an update on the DNA testing.

All of the links here have since been disabled. Does anyone know if the photos of Canyon Creek Road are still available anywhere? I've seen posted that all of her belongings were not picked up and some still remained at the scene. It makes you wonder if there is possibly anything out there that may still hold clues. Why would they leave anything behind in a case like this?

Simply Caustic
01-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Findleah.org is down. I'm not sure when it went down, but it's still registered to her bro, according to WHOIS. I wonder if they are updating, or ?

I'd be the last to criticize any family member of a missing person, esp. this family that seems to really put their souls into finding their sibling. But I wonder if they took it down for an update, or perhaps a particular reason? Like, maybe LE did get some info. on perhaps what happened to Leah, which resulted in her brother taking down the site? Probably just wishful thinking on my part (that perhaps they located a perp) or that maybe, God willing, they located Leah! That would be excellent, but IMO unlikely....

Mozenrath
01-11-2012, 04:31 PM
I always felt this was a really strange case.

While I doubt she's alive, lets hope she is.

Come home soon, Leah!

I haven't heard of the show "Disappeared". Is it kinda like what Unsolved Mysteries used to be?

Leomoon80
01-11-2012, 04:42 PM
I always felt this was a really strange case.

While I doubt she's alive, lets hope she is.

Come home soon, Leah!

I haven't heard of the show "Disappeared". Is it kinda like what Unsolved Mysteries used to be?

sort of similar to the old Unsolved Mysteries, but without Robert Stack!

You can fnd a good number of missed episodes on YouTube:

Disappeared - Brittanee Drexel Episode - YouTube

Leomoon80
01-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Here is the Disappeared Show for Leah Roberts:

Disappeared - Soul Searcher - YouTube

stoner311
04-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Here is my 2 cents on the Leah Roberts case. Seeing this case for the first time on Disappeared I immediately knew something was up as soon as they said that there was no blood inside the Jeep and no stress on the belt buckle as well as no sign of someone hitting their head on the dash or window. Immediately alarms start going off. How the initial detective on the case did not realize that something was amiss immediately blows my mind. I am glad he retired because he failed as a detective and investigator, just horrible. It is impossible for someone to be in a car wreck such as this and walk away unharmed. They said the car was going 30 to 40 mph when it went off the edge, the car flipped and rolled several times before crashing through a line of trees and abruptly laying on its side. No way in hell anyone is walking away from that wreck without broken bones, punctures, fractures, cuts, etc. NO WAY! Thankfully, the new detective checked under the hood and found that someone had tampered with the engine. It is quite apparent that whoever did this to the car had skilled knowledge of car engines. Leah did not possess these skills. The suspect at the bar that lied to the police has a background in car mechanics and well as served in the military. This person is suspect number 1 in my book. This person has since moved to Canada (how convenient). The fingerprints under the hood do not match with the person but that does not mean anything, he was probably wearing gloves. I hope that the DNA matches up and they can finally put this person behind bars. It is all very clear to me; she goes to the bar and has a few drinks. Being naïve, trusting and outgoing she probably told them that she was on her own and she was planning on going up to the top of the mountain and just chill out and take things in and write. Well to a predator, this is like music to their ears. You have a young pretty girl, alone on the road, camping out in the wilderness with no one around. This person was chomping at the bit. I think he probably stayed in the bar for a while then followed her after the film let out.

Here is what I would recommend. They need to find out where the suspect lived and send cadaver dogs and people armed with metal detectors to scout out the area near this persons old dwellings. They need to investigate the suspect’s life and find out about his old hangouts and places he frequented and check those areas out as well. Leah left her laptop at her home I believe. Have the investigators sent her laptop to forensics for a thorough inspection? There could be some emails and other information in there, possibly with people she was talking to in Washington State or someone she was going to meet.

The only thing that is tripping me out about this case is the blankets in the window. When I was 23, I drove across the country from Indiana to Los Angeles stopping only twice. The second time I stopped was just to visit my sister; otherwise, I would have kept going. From time to time, I would stop and catch a few hours of sleep here and there and I would sometimes put blankets and towels up in the windows to block out the sunlight and keep people from looking in. This is the only possible explanation. There is no chance that after the wreck someone would go down there and put the blankets in the windows after the fact. Why would someone do this?

buffetoflies
05-20-2012, 11:09 PM
I don't know if the rerun I saw today was updated, but I heard the detective guy say that the guy from the bar that had moved to canada turned out not to be a match for the fingerprints under the hood of the car. They found the fingerprints there in 2007 and it took two years to get them back so that was in 2009ish. The episode aired in Feb of 2011. I think they were waiting to see if he was a match on the DNA that was found on some of the clothes in car... that sounded like it was going to take longer to get b/c it was sent into the FBI.

I didn't understand why the special ring was placed under the floor mat, and how it even managed to stay there thru the rollover OR if it was placed there after it was pushed over the cliff? That's the part that really got me.

erikrussel
08-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Does anyone if her brother is on Facebook? I would love to ask him some questions. Most cases I read/see/hear about I don't have lots of hope they will ever reach a resolution. With this one I feel it's possible though.

erikrussel
08-15-2012, 05:29 PM
I don't know if the rerun I saw today was updated, but I heard the detective guy say that the guy from the bar that had moved to canada turned out not to be a match for the fingerprints under the hood of the car. They found the fingerprints there in 2007 and it took two years to get them back so that was in 2009ish. The episode aired in Feb of 2011. I think they were waiting to see if he was a match on the DNA that was found on some of the clothes in car... that sounded like it was going to take longer to get b/c it was sent into the FBI.

I didn't understand why the special ring was placed under the floor mat, and how it even managed to stay there thru the rollover OR if it was placed there after it was pushed over the cliff? That's the part that really got me.

I don't think it was placed under there. I think thats just where it happened to land/get stuck after the crash.

Walker007
09-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Tomorrow Morning!!!

RALLY stop MISSING Leah Roberts 09/24/12 10:00AM Whatcom Co Sheriff's Office 311 Grand Street Bellingham, WA

Come out in support!!

Share on Twitter: http://twl.sh/Pp74k4

danzn16
11-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Just learned of this case tonight. Absolutely mind blowing. I hope they find out what happened to Leah and update us on if this guy is a match to DNA.

ChelaCat
11-02-2012, 02:25 PM
I learned about this case when it was on Disappeared. Just found this thread today. I live in the PNW, in fact camped up the MBH the last two summers. Wish I had known about the rally in September. I hope this case will be solved. So sorry for her family.

danzn16
11-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Here is the Disappeared Show for Leah Roberts:

Disappeared - Soul Searcher - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtOgM6vI7k)

God bless these FBI agents for reopening her case and looking for more evidence.

I hope that one day I get one here and we have information about what happened to her and a perp that is arrested!

When was the disappeared show? They had just gotten DNA evidence, surely they had enough time to get that back by now??

Shamrocker99
11-05-2012, 04:05 AM
Fascinating story! I feel so bad for her siblings, their pain is so evident in their eyes. Perhaps Leah staged the accident after suffering some kind of mental breakdown and the succumbed to the elements in the forest. I can also see her being preyed upon by a stranger given her outgoing and trusting nature. I pray they either find her alive(!) or her remains so her family has some peace!!

tarjessi
11-22-2012, 10:54 AM
I might be way off, but the case of Brianne Wolgram: http://findbrianne.wordpress.com/ - has a few similarities to the case of Leah Roberts in Washington State. Her car was found abandoned on a logging road in Revelstoke in B.C. I am not from the US or Canada but the areas are only about 331 miles from each other by road. I don't know if it is possible the cases are related but you never know, killers have been known to travel. Just a thought to put out there. I really do hope this family gets some answers from the DNA. I also think the clothes being snagged on trees, etc. is that it is possible the windows were open and as the car went over the embankment the clothes flew out? Or maybe the clothes were taken out by her kidnapper or killer to destroy evidence by leaving them outside the vehicle? It does seem like someone tried to stay there, but maybe she left her kitten in the car and went up to the road to see if she could get some help...hence the blankets over the windows? And she met with foul play when she went to ask for help?

Oh actually from reading further again it may be that Brianne might have been taken by someone she knew...it is interesting though that along that stretch you pass areas to the east such as Kelowna...towns that have had a few disappearances throughout the decade.

Geoffrey MEISNER - Kelowna
Owen Rooney - Grand Forks on way to Kelowna
Cynthia Frances Maas - remains found - Prince George
Patrick Lyle Boulton - Heading to Kelowna
Michelle DuRocher - Kelowna

I might be way off here, just interesting to note a few of the cases have cars with no body found in or near them and with damage to the vehicles.

PaulR
12-01-2012, 02:12 PM
I might be way off, but the case of Brianne Wolgram: http://findbrianne.wordpress.com/ - has a few similarities to the case of Leah Roberts in Washington State. Her car was found abandoned on a logging road in Revelstoke in B.C. I am not from the US or Canada but the areas are only about 331 miles from each other by road. I don't know if it is possible the cases are related but you never know, killers have been known to travel. Just a thought to put out there. I really do hope this family gets some answers from the DNA. I also think the clothes being snagged on trees, etc. is that it is possible the windows were open and as the car went over the embankment the clothes flew out? Or maybe the clothes were taken out by her kidnapper or killer to destroy evidence by leaving them outside the vehicle? It does seem like someone tried to stay there, but maybe she left her kitten in the car and went up to the road to see if she could get some help...hence the blankets over the windows? And she met with foul play when she went to ask for help?

Oh actually from reading further again it may be that Brianne might have been taken by someone she knew...it is interesting though that along that stretch you pass areas to the east such as Kelowna...towns that have had a few disappearances throughout the decade.

Geoffrey MEISNER - Kelowna
Owen Rooney - Grand Forks on way to Kelowna
Cynthia Frances Maas - remains found - Prince George
Patrick Lyle Boulton - Heading to Kelowna
Michelle DuRocher - Kelowna

I might be way off here, just interesting to note a few of the cases have cars with no body found in or near them and with damage to the vehicles.

I'm not sure they are related; it may only be 330 miles, but that's a pretty long drive as Revelstoke is in the mountains, and then you'd need to cross the border. I can't see a lot of killers wanting to cross the border and get subjected to checks from nosy border agents, not to mention having records kept about when they crossed the border.

FYI Patrick was found, and near Prince Rupert not Kelowna.

On the road leading to Kelowna - I'm actually not too surprised. Keep in mind that if you are going to/from Vancouver from the rest of Canada, you are probably driving through or near Kelowna since it's off the main road through the mountain pass. It's also a popular tourist destination.

PaulR
12-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Does anyone have the exact location where the car was found? I know a logging road somewhere near Mt. Baker but there are a lot of those.

SyraKelly
01-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Wow-This case sounds just like Maura Murray.Both of the anniversaries are coming up to.
its been so long and nothing has been said on either case.
I do think Leah was followed by someone!
I wish I could find a pic of the area where her jeep was found-I just did a search,Canyon Creek rd is long!

BennyHill2012
01-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Wow-This case sounds just like Maura Murray.Both of the anniversaries are coming up to.
I wish I could find a pic of the area where her jeep was found-I just did a search,Canyon Creek rd is long!

I think it is pretty clear that the reason her vehicle ended up as it did, is the result of someone else. Whether that someone else drove the car into the ravine, or followed her and forced her off into the ravine, it is hard to say. Has anything ever come of the mechanic who may have last had contact with her that moved to Canada? This is another of those cases where possibilities abound, but no solid evidence in any direction.

justagirl247
01-28-2013, 05:41 PM

I was thinking the same thing sound alot like it in some ways

Tripmap
02-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Every time I watch the "Disappeared" episode, I want to tell the Detectives that what she is peering at is probably just looking, prior to paying, to see what gas pump she used. We've all done that.

I hope the DNA results come back and allow them to find a match. Some answers for her famiily.

Tripmap
02-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Does anyone have the exact location where the car was found? I know a logging road somewhere near Mt. Baker but there are a lot of those.

Canyon Creek Road, or something Canyon.

bubbabearzle
03-05-2013, 04:32 AM

I was wondering the same thing!

I live in WA state, and last year (almost the same day of the year as Leah went missing), my sons' scout troop had a "camping" trip at a lodge near the ski resort on Mt. Baker. I want to know where her car was found was that most of the trip up the mountain was like driving in a tunnel - the road was basically a channel carved out with hard-packed walls of snow 10-15 feet high on either side of the road. Most of the way up, that time of year, you would have to work really, really hard to get a vehicle off the road in any way! That also makes me wonder who the heck would be out jogging around there that time of year - snow shoeing, cross-country skiing, sure, but jogging?!

T9D
08-27-2013, 01:59 AM
I was checking that Canyon Creek Road. It's 37 miles or so. That's probably going to take a hour or so give or take driving up that mountain from Bellingham.

I just don't think it's likely that someone from Bellingham would kill her, then be in her car driving for an hour on the road? Way too risky. To long of a time to take the chance of getting caught. Then he drives up this logging road. And what? Sits out there in the pitch black and rigs up her car to drive off the side of the mountain? And how the heck does he even get back home? There would have to be an accomplice who drove another car behind hers. All that way.

It appears she was sleeping in her car. That's why the windows were covered. Again nobody is going to drive it for any amount of time like that all covered up. And I doubt they would set that up after also rigging up the car to run off the road. After it's crashed they would have to hike down the hill to the crash site in the middle of the pitch black forest. That's just getting a little to crazy.

We haven't actually seen the piece of metal. It may not have been rigged up at all like they think. Remember the car has been in a big accident at this point. Who knows where the metal started. It also could have just been a piece rigged up before as a quick repair. I've done hoaky quick repairs many times on my cars when I was young. That's most likely all it was. If someone is going to want a car to run on it's own they are just going to stick something on the gas pedal. After the crash it's going to be someplace else or look like it was thrown there from the crash. Not take all that time to rig up the throttle and also be leaving evidence.

It's a pretty small road. We don't know exactly how fast she was going. It's just a guess on their part. But she's realistically going about the speed you'd go on a streight away. The supposedly rigged up car just happens to be going about the speed she'd realistically be going? So anyway she's going the correct speed. But those turns come up very fast on that road and they are sharp. Very easy to go right off the road if it's dark and you're driving that speed.

Now they say it looks like nobody was in the car when it crashed but they could be wrong. She may have been going slower than they think, plus with all her clothes and things all around her possibly some of that stuff helped to cushion her while it was tumbling around.

Why was her ring taken off? Well she just crashed. Her hand is swollen. So she takes her ring off (and possibly drops it in the dark).

If someone had killed her and gone through all that trouble to stage it they would have gone through some of her things. Especially if they knew she was traveling. They would have found the money. But they supposedly took all this time to do all this but didn't touch or take anything of hers?

I think she just crashed. She was driving at night on a log road, exploring the mountain, possibly looking for a place to 'camp out' in her car for the night. The turn comes up to quick and she crashes.

She covers the broken windows to protect herself from the cold. Took the ring off her swollen finger. She may have eventually wandered off and got lost. It's a big BIG forest. We hear stories all the time about searchers missing bodies and then some hiker finding them years later in the same spot they searched. Shoot she probably had all kinds of food and snacks for travel. For all we know the bears smelled that food from miles away and got her while she was walking all broken up and bruised. She possibly may have been sleeping in her car on the log road, animals found her car, she starts it up with the windows still covered to sleep and drives like that to find a new parking spot, hard to see in the dark night and the windows covered she crashes at the next turn. Sounds plausible.

I think her body is just somewhere out there in the huge forest. She was on a trip to explore and that's what she was doing when she crashed. Just like John Kerouac.

If you look at the map there is a small little subdivision of houses near the road she was on. They are off the main highway there. But the log road swings around back to where it's closer to the backs of these houses. If she had crashed and was hurt she could possibly see a light or two from these houses. Instead of walking around the long way all the way back down the log road it's possible she headed through the forest to reach these houses. Unfortunately the river is in her path. She may have attempted to ford the river so close to reaching these houses and drowned. Her body washing down the river.

By the way I've attached a photo of the road where it starts. Pretty narrow road. On a side note it's really creepy that a person is standing in the middle of the road she went up in the photo. He appears to be taking a picture maybe. That's just erie.

CircuitGuy
02-22-2014, 02:50 AM
Every time I watch the "Disappeared" episode, I want to tell the Detectives that what she is peering at is probably just looking, prior to paying, to see what gas pump she used. We've all done that.

She could have been bored and/or put off by something in the gas station. Sometimes the person in front of me and the clerk are from a completely different background, esp if I'm far from home, and it's a little awkward to be thrust into a brief encounter where I'm a complete outsider. It's easier to look out the window or the news rack.

CircuitGuy
02-22-2014, 03:04 AM
By the way I've attached a photo of the road where it starts. Pretty narrow road. On a side note it's really creepy that a person is standing in the middle of the road she went up in the photo. He appears to be taking a picture maybe. That's just erie.

I cannot see a person.

Simply Caustic
02-22-2014, 08:15 PM
Is there anywhere I can read the text of the note Leah left? On the first page of this thread it was linked, but as so many years have passed, the links are dead.

Thanks in advance if anyone can steer me in the right direction

Sent from my KFTHWI

Leomoon80
02-22-2014, 09:57 PM
Is there anywhere I can read the text of the note Leah left? On the first page of this thread it was linked, but as so many years have passed, the links are dead.

Thanks in advance if anyone can steer me in the right direction

Sent from my KFTHWI

I saved this link which has some background info about the contents of the note:

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthread.php?14129-Leah-Roberts-missing-since-March-2000

Digital Discovery
03-02-2014, 03:00 AM
[QUOTE]Do any Websleuthers have any theories on what happened here? [\QUOTE]

When I first found out about this case it sounded to me like Leah had been recruited as a "mule." It is routine to move drugs across the country by vehicles driven by people recruited to be "mules." These people are offered the chance to make thousands of dollars to drive a shipment without much risk. The deal is simple: they are told to schedule a vacation, tell their family that they want to see something or go skiing, and then drop the goods at the appointed place, pick up their cash and have enough money to make it back home and have some fun along the way. Sounds good?

Sure, except here's the catch. If the people picking up the drugs at the other end don't want to pay the money, they don't have to. All they have to do is get the goods and then make the "mule" disappear. In this case, murdering the mule is cheaper than paying for the services. These are not nice people.

What makes me think this fits the story is:
1) Leah fits the profile of someone who could be made to disappear without any relatives raising a stink. Her sister wasn't rich enough or well connected enough to get anyone's attention.
2) Leah obviously made the story of motivation for her cross country trip up. She claimed it was because she was so enamored with a book but then couldn't spell the author's name. Why would she hide her motivation? Mule's are instructed not to tell anyone about what they are really doing and Leah may not have wanted to worry her sister, since what she was doing was VERY dangerous.
3) Using her cards until she got to Oregon, then switching to cash was so that no one could follow her trail. If her car hadn't been found no one would ever have known she went to Washington. This, again, would have been part of her instructions, making her disappearance nearly untraceable.
4) Bellingham is one of the biggest drug cities on the West coast. It is at the North end of the I5 drug pipeline that stretches from Mexico to Canada. Drugs heading north into Canada get staged in Whatcom County before they are moved across.
5) The story about Bellis Fair Mall sounds like a delivery contact.
6) I read a report that law enforcement found that her engine had been tampered with so that the car would effectively drive itself off the road.

So, here is my theory. Leah's new friend, the same one that convinced her to drop out of school and told her about the book that Leah never read arranged for her to deliver some drugs cross country to Bellingham. Leah thought she was going to deliver the drugs, take a vacation with the money she made and come on home. Her "friend" knew otherwise and sent her on her way. Leah followed the instructions to the letter and walked into Bellis Fair Mall to meet her contact, deliver the drugs, get the payout and head back down to Oregon to continue her "adventure." Instead, she delivered the drugs and then was taken out. Her car was driven up the Mt. Baker Highway and off the side so that no one would find it. Case closed.

Sorry, Leah sounds like an incredible young women so full of promise. Just a little too naïve and a little too trusting. The perfect victim. I hope my theory is wrong and that she will someday turn up alive.

From what I saw, Leah fit the profile of the perfect candidate. She had few

Balor51
03-02-2014, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE]Do any Websleuthers have any theories on what happened here? [\QUOTE]

When I first found out about this case it sounded to me like Leah had been recruited as a "mule." It is routine to move drugs across the country by vehicles driven by people recruited to be "mules." These people are offered the chance to make thousands of dollars to drive a shipment without much risk. The deal is simple: they are told to schedule a vacation, tell their family that they want to see something or go skiing, and then drop the goods at the appointed place, pick up their cash and have enough money to make it back home and have some fun along the way. Sounds good?

Sure, except here's the catch. If the people picking up the drugs at the other end don't want to pay the money, they don't have to. All they have to do is get the goods and then make the "mule" disappear. In this case, murdering the mule is cheaper than paying for the services. These are not nice people.

What makes me think this fits the story is:
1) Leah fits the profile of someone who could be made to disappear without any relatives raising a stink. Her sister wasn't rich enough or well connected enough to get anyone's attention.
2) Leah obviously made the story of motivation for her cross country trip up. She claimed it was because she was so enamored with a book but then couldn't spell the author's name. Why would she hide her motivation? Mule's are instructed not to tell anyone about what they are really doing and Leah may not have wanted to worry her sister, since what she was doing was VERY dangerous.
3) Using her cards until she got to Oregon, then switching to cash was so that no one could follow her trail. If her car hadn't been found no one would ever have known she went to Washington. This, again, would have been part of her instructions, making her disappearance nearly untraceable.
4) Bellingham is one of the biggest drug cities on the West coast. It is at the North end of the I5 drug pipeline that stretches from Mexico to Canada. Drugs heading north into Canada get staged in Whatcom County before they are moved across.
5) The story about Bellis Fair Mall sounds like a delivery contact.
6) I read a report that law enforcement found that her engine had been tampered with so that the car would effectively drive itself off the road.

So, here is my theory. Leah's new friend, the same one that convinced her to drop out of school and told her about the book that Leah never read arranged for her to deliver some drugs cross country to Bellingham. Leah thought she was going to deliver the drugs, take a vacation with the money she made and come on home. Her "friend" knew otherwise and sent her on her way. Leah followed the instructions to the letter and walked into Bellis Fair Mall to meet her contact, deliver the drugs, get the payout and head back down to Oregon to continue her "adventure." Instead, she delivered the drugs and then was taken out. Her car was driven up the Mt. Baker Highway and off the side so that no one would find it. Case closed.

Sorry, Leah sounds like an incredible young women so full of promise. Just a little too naïve and a little too trusting. The perfect victim. I hope my theory is wrong and that she will someday turn up alive.

From what I saw, Leah fit the profile of the perfect candidate. She had few

Is that the friend they showed in her Disappeared episode?

You made a good point about "Mule". That never , ever entered my mind, but it does make sense. And this is in no way a dig at Leah, she does sound like someone so full of promise like you said. I hope se can be found to give her family some peace.

Dixie811
03-02-2014, 11:34 PM
IDK. It's an interesting idea.

I certainly agree that Leah was Naive. But I am just not sure... from the impression I got from Leah's Disappeared episode she didn't strike me as someone who would go to such lengths for money. It appeared as if she was primarily focused on getting things right within herself, very introspective. I also don't know that she was hurting for money, as she was living on her own without working-- I always figured she must have gotten a fair amount of money from her parents' estate. Additionally, both of her siblings were adults making $ and could have helped to support her financially if need be.

I guess, just from my impression of Leah via Disappeared, I don't see what her notice would have been. But I am not opposed to the idea, and I appreciate the outside-the-box thinking!

Leomoon80
03-02-2014, 11:59 PM
I agree with Dixie, an introverted type of person. I didn't hear about not being able to recall the book title or spell the author's name, as his is not an easy name to spell!

Nah, I don't think so......

But what do I know., only that she's unaccounted for and missing a long time now.

Simply Caustic
03-03-2014, 01:59 PM
I saved this link which has some background info about the contents of the note:

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthread.php?14129-Leah-Roberts-missing-since-March-2000

Thanks Leo! Somehow didn't see your reply until today.

Thank you, that page on mds has tons of info for me to pore over.

Sent from my KFTHWI

bragi
04-05-2014, 10:12 PM
I will say I thought it was weird that Leah misspelled Jack Kerouac's name. If she owned the book (did she?), wouldn't she have grabbed it if she didn't remember how it was spelled? She either didn't care, thought she knew how it was spelled but was wrong, was lying in some way, or had some quirk about her personality that would explain this (dyslexic? flaky? high on drugs when she wrote it?). It just struck me as odd.

Taticat
04-06-2014, 12:08 AM
I will say I thought it was weird that Leah misspelled Jack Kerouac's name. If she owned the book (did she?), wouldn't she have grabbed it if she didn't remember how it was spelled? She either didn't care, thought she knew how it was spelled but was wrong, was lying in some way, or had some quirk about her personality that would explain this (dyslexic? flaky? high on drugs when she wrote it?). It just struck me as odd.

That was something I noticed, too. For a girl who knew two languages, it seemed off. It irks me to no end that Canada won't just turn the creep who gave the false leads to police over. That should be illegal enough to merit at least a visit back to WA.

Tcat.

Sent from my Lite-Brite modded to run Free BSD.

Leomoon80
04-06-2014, 01:28 AM

I'm above average on spelling and English however, I'd have a hard time spelling his name so I doubt that is so strange that Leah would as well.(imo)
However, perhaps she was dyslexic, and I thought that to be a possibility when I first saw the story depicted years ago on T.V.

cherrydocs
04-07-2014, 08:01 PM
I'm still new to this case so forgive me if some of my details are wrong. First, did Leah not have a cellphone or pager she could have used if she was lost? Also I think her time at Bellis Fair is crucial to the case. Did someone see her go into the theatre by herself and follow her out to Elephant and Castle afterwards? Did she sit next to these two men there or did they follow her in and sit next to her? They couldn't find any more witnesses in the mall? And did the bartenders there not notice more what was going on with her and the men? Just wondering it seems like they could of found out a bit more info about her time there.

Taticat
04-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Hi, Cherry!

No; Leah did not have a cell or pager (hard to imagine these days, lol!). She did sit in between two men when she ate before the movie. It appears that one of those men was less-than-truthful when he talked with investigators; that man later moved to Canada, where he still is. To get the best quick-and-dirty on the bulk of the investigation, I would suggest watching the Disappeared episode, 'Soul Searcher'. It's available on You Tube, and covers enough past her initial disappearance that it is very informative. And really makes me wonder why it took so long to investigate her car. ::grumble::

HTH,
Tcat.

Sent from my Lite-Brite modded to run Free BSD.

Vox_Veritas_JT
04-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Oh man I just wrote for an hour or so then accidentally hit the delete button. I feel like throwing a tantrum right now.

Anyhow I just wanted to comment as I feel some are reaching with this case, which is fine of course but I just wanted to go over the facts and try to make the most obvious deductions from them. I'll try to be concise here (not my strongest suite).

-That there is no blood in or around the car, not one single drop, tells me that there is no way the car could have had anyone inside it during the crash. We are told that due to where it ended up this car must have been going 30mph. That is actually a significant speed to have a crash at. This vehicle flipped and rolled many times. Now while I can just about accept that someone with great luck might walk away from this crash I cannot believe for a second that there is not a drop of blood from a cut or even a graze. I have been in a car crash and it was alot milder than this and there was blood. Not just a drop either. Just one look at the state of the car tells me that someone would have at the very least been cut in this crash. It is just not credible to me that someone was behind the wheel when this car flew off the road.

-The makeshift curtains that were hanging from many of the windows also strongly imply there was no one driving this car. Someone earlier mentioned that it maybe looked like it was camped in after it crashed. I disagree, the curtains that do remain are there because they are held in place by the doors. The windscreen is missing with no cover over it and everything else is madly jumbled about. It does not look to me like anyone went back to this car after it left the road. And nobody, surely, would be driving around on unknown roads with curtains over windows?

-Considering the two points above I believe Leah had decided to stay the night in her car while staying in the mountains. The money that was found indicates she very likely already stayed in her car overnight elsewhere. The curtains were hung when it became dark so no one could see in and to give Leah a sense of security. Did Leah take her jewelry off when she slept? It would explain why she was not wearing the adored ring if she took it off when she slept. She might have done this as part of a ritual of changing into nightwear/ pajamas.

-During the night I believe someone who had followed her and/or knew where she was pounced. The Unsub might have easily broken glass to get in at the sleeping Leah. From here the Perp either abducts Leah or acts on her in that area. Its less likely he assaults her in her own car as surely there would be more conclusive DNA? (having said that it would be interesting to know what was tested in this case that provided a profile). Either way he has to incapacitate Leah in some way. A gun could easily do this, holding a weapon on her for example while he ties her up. The Unsub then rigs her car to crash unmanned in order to stage her death. And for those doubting the tampering it is actually a pretty specific procedure to accomplish what he wanted (I know this as I talked to the mechanic at the end of my road). The Perp then moves Leah to his vehicle and he can subsequently take her where he wants.

-The information of vital importance is what actually took place within that mall bar with those two guys. It sounds like a very suspicious situation. Is it even possible that the composite given was legit? All it would take is for Leah to mention in passing that she was spending that night on the mountains. They could have easily seen her car and ended up following by car and then approaching by foot. We generally need a fuller picture of who else Leah talked to in Birlington. Also perhaps sex offenders in the area could be looked at? This is a crime very clearly motivated by sexual intent as all money and valuables are left at the scene.

There is something very sad about this story. That this girl went on a trip looking for romantic notions of adventure and joy and found an opportunistic predator. The more I see of man, the more repulsed I am.

Vox_Veritas_JT
04-16-2014, 12:10 PM
I was checking that Canyon Creek Road. It's 37 miles or so. That's probably going to take a hour or so give or take driving up that mountain from Bellingham.

I just don't think it's likely that someone from Bellingham would kill her, then be in her car driving for an hour on the road? Way too risky. To long of a time to take the chance of getting caught. Then he drives up this logging road. And what? Sits out there in the pitch black and rigs up her car to drive off the side of the mountain? And how the heck does he even get back home? There would have to be an accomplice who drove another car behind hers. All that way.

It appears she was sleeping in her car. That's why the windows were covered. Again nobody is going to drive it for any amount of time like that all covered up. And I doubt they would set that up after also rigging up the car to run off the road. After it's crashed they would have to hike down the hill to the crash site in the middle of the pitch black forest. That's just getting a little to crazy.

We haven't actually seen the piece of metal. It may not have been rigged up at all like they think. Remember the car has been in a big accident at this point. Who knows where the metal started. It also could have just been a piece rigged up before as a quick repair. I've done hoaky quick repairs many times on my cars when I was young. That's most likely all it was. If someone is going to want a car to run on it's own they are just going to stick something on the gas pedal. After the crash it's going to be someplace else or look like it was thrown there from the crash. Not take all that time to rig up the throttle and also be leaving evidence.

It's a pretty small road. We don't know exactly how fast she was going. It's just a guess on their part. But she's realistically going about the speed you'd go on a streight away. The supposedly rigged up car just happens to be going about the speed she'd realistically be going? So anyway she's going the correct speed. But those turns come up very fast on that road and they are sharp. Very easy to go right off the road if it's dark and you're driving that speed.

Now they say it looks like nobody was in the car when it crashed but they could be wrong. She may have been going slower than they think, plus with all her clothes and things all around her possibly some of that stuff helped to cushion her while it was tumbling around.

Why was her ring taken off? Well she just crashed. Her hand is swollen. So she takes her ring off (and possibly drops it in the dark).

If someone had killed her and gone through all that trouble to stage it they would have gone through some of her things. Especially if they knew she was traveling. They would have found the money. But they supposedly took all this time to do all this but didn't touch or take anything of hers?

I think she just crashed. She was driving at night on a log road, exploring the mountain, possibly looking for a place to 'camp out' in her car for the night. The turn comes up to quick and she crashes.

She covers the broken windows to protect herself from the cold. Took the ring off her swollen finger. She may have eventually wandered off and got lost. It's a big BIG forest. We hear stories all the time about searchers missing bodies and then some hiker finding them years later in the same spot they searched. Shoot she probably had all kinds of food and snacks for travel. For all we know the bears smelled that food from miles away and got her while she was walking all broken up and bruised. She possibly may have been sleeping in her car on the log road, animals found her car, she starts it up with the windows still covered to sleep and drives like that to find a new parking spot, hard to see in the dark night and the windows covered she crashes at the next turn. Sounds plausible.

I think her body is just somewhere out there in the huge forest. She was on a trip to explore and that's what she was doing when she crashed. Just like John Kerouac.

If you look at the map there is a small little subdivision of houses near the road she was on. They are off the main highway there. But the log road swings around back to where it's closer to the backs of these houses. If she had crashed and was hurt she could possibly see a light or two from these houses. Instead of walking around the long way all the way back down the log road it's possible she headed through the forest to reach these houses. Unfortunately the river is in her path. She may have attempted to ford the river so close to reaching these houses and drowned. Her body washing down the river.

No disrespect but you contest and dismiss all the evidence in the case in being determined to have her walk away in the woods blindly. I have been told that making the kind of adjustment that was made to this car is actually a specific procedure that doesn't occur by 'accident'. I know little about cars but a very experienced mechanic told me this. How does one explain the unidentified prints under the hood as well? You ignore the fact that this car flipped over multiple times and yet not a drop of blood is found. But even if we do assume that she managed to fling herself out of the car safely (this is highly unlikely) then why does she not take her most prized possession that she was never seen without (her mothers ring)? Furthermore why does she not take any cash at all? Its not like cash is going to weigh her down (nor would slipping the ring in her pocket). The only way I can see her wondering off without any of her possessions is if she is suicidal and by all accounts she was far from that during the day. I don't know where you get the idea that the potential Perp was driving around in her car? The evidence seems to suggest that Leah was sleeping in her car and that nobody was driving it, consequently Leah was already up in the mountains when the Perp either snuck up on foot or in a car. She either told people she would be up there that night or someone has stalked her. And the person who rigged the car would not want to go through it for any reason if the motive was sexual assault of some sort, his only concern would be in staging an accident. I don't mean to be sharp, its just that you seem to willfully ignore all and any suspicious clues. If we take you at your word then are we really to think that Leah crashed and then just wondered away to die ostensibly in a kind of amnesia? This just seems absurd to me, more so when you see evidence of tampering and consider the suspiciously detailed composite that the guy in the bar provided.

Taticat
04-18-2014, 12:19 AM
No disrespect but you contest and dismiss all the evidence in the case in being determined to have her walk away in the woods blindly. I have been told that making the kind of adjustment that was made to this car is actually a specific procedure that doesn't occur by 'accident'. I know little about cars but a very experienced mechanic told me this. How does one explain the unidentified prints under the hood as well? You ignore the fact that this car flipped over multiple times and yet not a drop of blood is found. But even if we do assume that she managed to fling herself out of the car safely (this is highly unlikely) then why does she not take her most prized possession that she was never seen without (her mothers ring)? Furthermore why does she not take any cash at all? Its not like cash is going to weigh her down (nor would slipping the ring in her pocket). The only way I can see her wondering off without any of her possessions is if she is suicidal and by all accounts she was far from that during the day. I don't know where you get the idea that the potential Perp was driving around in her car? The evidence seems to suggest that Leah was sleeping in her car and that nobody was driving it, consequently Leah was already up in the mountains when the Perp either snuck up on foot or in a car. She either told people she would be up there that night or someone has stalked her. And the person who rigged the car would not want to go through it for any reason if the motive was sexual assault of some sort, his only concern would be in staging an accident. I don't mean to be sharp, its just that you seem to willfully ignore all and any suspicious clues. If we take you at your word then are we really to think that Leah crashed and then just wondered away to die ostensibly in a kind of amnesia? This just seems absurd to me, more so when you see evidence of tampering and consider the suspiciously detailed composite that the guy in the bar provided.

And just a note on that composite of (iirc) 'Barry'. This composite and story version was told by only ONE of the men who were flanking Leah. The two men did not know each other. One man recalled Leah, her talking about her trip, Kerouac, etc…then Leah finished eating and LEFT. Alone. End of recollection, as far as Dude 1 is concerned. So far, so good.

But then we have Dude 2's story; Dude 2's story has 'Barry', some Mysterious Stranger, come and get Leah. Dude 2 provides a description of this 'Barry' enough to be able to generate a composite sketch.

Here's where my eye starts twitching with regard to the first detective working Leah's case; who does this based on one chance, unimportant encounter? FFS, I couldn't describe everyone at the table at which I ate lunch TODAY, much less any random stranger who they left with. Add a few weeks or months to that? Forget it; I couldn't even tell you what I had for lunch *myself* with a high degree of certainty. If I had been that DT, fricking alarms would have been going off so loudly at that point that I'd still be deaf.

But I digress.

Dude 2's 'Barry' gets ZERO credible hits, or even nibbles. No-one in Bellingham has ever seen 'Barry' before. Hmm.

In the meantime, Dude 2 has sneaked off to live in Canada (a country which, might I add, is similar enough to the US to be comfortable culturally, but which, notably enough, does not extradite if the death penalty is on the table). Dude 2 has now ensured that, even if a body turns up, he won't hang for it. Smart move, Dude 2.

But wait! There's more! A brief investigation into Dude 2's history uncovers the fact that — shocker — Dude 2 has experience as a car mechanic! How coincidental! And the level of experience he has largely guarantees that, unless he has the IQ of a turnip, he possesses the knowledge of how to tamper with a car to get it to accelerate unmanned …not that Leah's car was tampered with, though.

OMGWTFBBQ! WAIT A MINNIT! The original DT didn't even *look* to see if Leah's car had been tampered with. So, now that DT had retired, or donated his brain to Science, whatever, and Leah's disappearance is a 'cold case', the new detective does something unheard of in the annals of investigative work, at least up around Bellingham: he gets off his butt and opens the hood of Leah's car. Umm…spoiler alert: the car has been tampered with. There are unidentified fingerprints on the engine where someone had rigged the car.

What I think happened: Dude 2 (and Dude 1) were told by Leah that she was sleeping in her car mostly. Possibly Dude 2 even recommended a scenic spot. 'Barry' does not exist. Leah left alone, and Dude 2 decided that this was his Big Chance.

I think Leah hung the makeshift curtains so she could sleep. Maybe she left the door unlocked, maybe Dude 2 used a slim jim thingy to open it. Maybe Dude 2 lucked out and caught Leah outside the car, having a cigarette before bed (so as not to gas Bea, her cat). Dude 2 subdues Leah somehow, and crashes her car. Leah is dead (I h8 u, Dude 2), and when the police come around, 'Barry' is invented, LE says 'oh, ok', and Dude 2 moves to Canadialand.

Getting fingerprint/DNA from Canada apparently takes OVER 9000 years without actual charges or a body, so Dude 2 thinks he has gotten away with it, 'cos at the rate this is going, he will die of old age before WA gets their info.

Bear in mind, this is only my opinion for the points that are not established facts. But IMO, our killer is Dude 2, and maybe (probably not, I think he did this alone) a friend of Dude 2, but not Dude 1.

Tcat.

Sent from Telezonia

cherrydocs
04-19-2014, 01:24 PM
This could be a stretch but I'm just trying to think of what could of happened. Perhaps Leah stopped at a hotel somewhere and took a shower and had her ring off (I say this only because I know that's the only time I take my rings off) anyways she hops back into her Jeep and starts driving. Either she flags someone down or someone flags her down so their car can get a jump. Someone stops so she quickly hides her ring under the floor board "just incase" and steps out of the car (either she's holding her Kitty or Kitty jumps out at this point. This would also explain why her money is still in her car since she thinks that this will only take a minute. Guy pops her hood open, tells her its going to take a minute because he is a mechanic and sees something wrong with the car. Leah, being young and naive trusts him. Guy tells Leah she can sit in his car for a minute because its not safe to sit in her Jeep while he's "fixing" something under the hood real fast. Leah sits in his car and this Guy tweaks her Jeep to make it crash by itself then jumps into his car and kidnaps Leah before she notices what's going on. As far as the blankets covering the windows maybe Leah did that while her car was stalled while she was waiting for someone to flag down to get a jump.

This would explain why her ring is under the floorboard, why her money is still in the car and why there are fingerprints under the hood.

MysteryMaven
04-21-2014, 06:44 PM
I just don't know why there hasn't been an arrest in this case. So Leah was last seen speaking with a man who had car mechanic experience. Evidence showed her car was tampered with. This man also fabricated a false lead with the "Barry" story. This man moved to Canada after Leah's disappearance. Was it determined that his fingerprints did not match the one's under Leah's car hood? And are they still waiting for some kind of test results? TIA.

Vox_Veritas_JT
04-21-2014, 09:05 PM
And just a note on that composite of (iirc) 'Barry'. This composite and story version was told by only ONE of the men who were flanking Leah. The two men did not know each other. One man recalled Leah, her talking about her trip, Kerouac, etc…then Leah finished eating and LEFT. Alone. End of recollection, as far as Dude 1 is concerned. So far, so good.

But then we have Dude 2's story; Dude 2's story has 'Barry', some Mysterious Stranger, come and get Leah. Dude 2 provides a description of this 'Barry' enough to be able to generate a composite sketch.

Here's where my eye starts twitching with regard to the first detective working Leah's case; who does this based on one chance, unimportant encounter? FFS, I couldn't describe everyone at the table at which I ate lunch TODAY, much less any random stranger who they left with. Add a few weeks or months to that? Forget it; I couldn't even tell you what I had for lunch *myself* with a high degree of certainty. If I had been that DT, fricking alarms would have been going off so loudly at that point that I'd still be deaf.

But I digress.

Dude 2's 'Barry' gets ZERO credible hits, or even nibbles. No-one in Bellingham has ever seen 'Barry' before. Hmm.

In the meantime, Dude 2 has sneaked off to live in Canada (a country which, might I add, is similar enough to the US to be comfortable culturally, but which, notably enough, does not extradite if the death penalty is on the table). Dude 2 has now ensured that, even if a body turns up, he won't hang for it. Smart move, Dude 2.

But wait! There's more! A brief investigation into Dude 2's history uncovers the fact that — shocker — Dude 2 has experience as a car mechanic! How coincidental! And the level of experience he has largely guarantees that, unless he has the IQ of a turnip, he possesses the knowledge of how to tamper with a car to get it to accelerate unmanned …not that Leah's car was tampered with, though.

OMGWTFBBQ! WAIT A MINNIT! The original DT didn't even *look* to see if Leah's car had been tampered with. So, now that DT had retired, or donated his brain to Science, whatever, and Leah's disappearance is a 'cold case', the new detective does something unheard of in the annals of investigative work, at least up around Bellingham: he gets off his butt and opens the hood of Leah's car. Umm…spoiler alert: the car has been tampered with. There are unidentified fingerprints on the engine where someone had rigged the car.

What I think happened: Dude 2 (and Dude 1) were told by Leah that she was sleeping in her car mostly. Possibly Dude 2 even recommended a scenic spot. 'Barry' does not exist. Leah left alone, and Dude 2 decided that this was his Big Chance.

I think Leah hung the makeshift curtains so she could sleep. Maybe she left the door unlocked, maybe Dude 2 used a slim jim thingy to open it. Maybe Dude 2 lucked out and caught Leah outside the car, having a cigarette before bed (so as not to gas Bea, her cat). Dude 2 subdues Leah somehow, and crashes her car. Leah is dead (I h8 u, Dude 2), and when the police come around, 'Barry' is invented, LE says 'oh, ok', and Dude 2 moves to Canadialand.

Getting fingerprint/DNA from Canada apparently takes OVER 9000 years without actual charges or a body, so Dude 2 thinks he has gotten away with it, 'cos at the rate this is going, he will die of old age before WA gets their info.

Bear in mind, this is only my opinion for the points that are not established facts. But IMO, our killer is Dude 2, and maybe (probably not, I think he did this alone) a friend of Dude 2, but not Dude 1.

Tcat.

Sent from Telezonia

Well put and convincing. I wouldn't argue against any of this. The differing stories and the composite business is all absurdly suspicious.

They have his DNA they need to find Leah.

eyesonly
05-28-2014, 11:22 AM
I believe that dude 2's fingerprints were not a
match for the ones under the hood.
LE is waiting on the DNA results from
Dude 2 though.

cherrydocs
06-08-2014, 10:20 PM
I always want to take pictures of the mall where Leah was last seen but they've completely changed it. The movie theatre is gone and the bar is now a clothing store. I've wanted to drive by where her car was found but my SO thinks I'm a little nuts lol. I hope this case is still being worked on drives me crazy!!

Merry
06-10-2014, 12:44 AM
Sometimes I wonder if Israel Keyes is responsible for Leah's disappearance. Perhaps he saw Leah's car alone and decided to go take his chance. I kind of doubt it since there are other POIs, but I don't know.

EdinburghLass
06-13-2014, 05:17 AM
Leah's Disappeared episode showed again today in Australia. I really am truly puzzled by this case. My thoughts are leaning towards suicide/her disappearing intentionally.

thefragile7393
07-12-2014, 11:43 AM
I don't buy suicide or disappearing....scattering clothes, leaving behind money from which she could start a new life....no IMO something way different happened

Leomoon80
07-12-2014, 01:03 PM
I don't buy suicide or disappearing....scattering clothes, leaving behind money from which she could start a new life....no IMO something way different happened

I agree with you fragile, didn't happen, no-way- no-how. :( I think it was someone in the crowd she met at the restaurant. She shared her ideas, her paperback book about the trails and places she wanted to visit, just like the writer did, someone heard this and took advantage of the poor girl.

PhoebeG
07-13-2014, 05:33 PM
This is such a strange and sad case.

I have just read through the whole thread and at first I believed that it was possible that Leah could have wanted to disappear and start a new life, perhaps as a result of some sort of mental illness she was suffering from at the time. Often with people who have been missing so long I question whether they would really have not been in touch with worried parents if they were alive but Leah's parents had already died.

However reading the thread it seems that Leah had several siblings. It has now been over fourteen years and I find it very hard to believe that she wouldn't have been in touch with them some how if she were still alive. Even a postcard now and again.

Moreover, Leah left $2,500 dollars in the car. Would a person disappearing really have left that amount of money behind?

And then there is the issue of how her car ended up off the road. It seems clear that neither Leah nor an unknown person were in the car when it went off the road and, as has been stated earlier in the thread, Leah simply did not have the knowledge to have rigged the car herself, and even if she had why would she had wanted to go to all that effort? Why not just abandon the car?

Logically it therefore seems that something bad happened to Leah and somebody, almost certainly the perpetrator of whatever happened to Leah, disposed of her car. Sadly, if Leah was murdered, it is easy to see why her body was never recovered given the area she was in. The strange aspect to this crime is the fact that Leah's belongings were placed where somebody would have seen them and gone to investigate the car wreck. But perhaps the perpetrator wanted the car found for the thrill of seeing the news coverage and knowing that he had gotten away with it.

Tulessa
09-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Bumping for Leah....

cherrydocs
09-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Bumping for Leah!

stephsb
09-10-2014, 04:58 AM
Whenever I see a case that's especially strange on Disappeared, I always end up looking it up on here, and I just saw Leah's. I think it's pretty likely she met w. foul play. i think it was a crime of opportunity for the purpose of sexual assault of some sort...it obviously wasn't robbery or her leaving on her own to disappear because the money wouldn't have been left. I've seen some really bizarre explanations for the circumstances of her disappearance on here that I just had to comment on (even though some of them were from quite a while ago and I don't expect a response)

1. Leaving her mother's ring behind: By all accounts, the ring had sentimental value and she never took it off, yet it was left behind. Two explanations I've seen was she took it off after the crash because her hand was swollen, or she had the ring off to take a shower and then hid it when a man (who i guess we are assuming to be the perp) offered to look at her car engine after she had trouble. both of these are ridiculous IMO- if she had gotten in an accident and her hand swelled, there is NO way she was taking that ring off, unless it was extremely loose. i'm allergic to mosquito bites, and when i get bit the area around the bite swells to larger than a half dollar- recently i was bit on my ring finger, and as soon as i noticed, i tried to take the ring off, and my finger had already become swollen enough that it was virtually unable to come off. i imagine swelling from an accident may even make it harder to take the ring off. the shower explanation makes no sense to me- so she took it off to take a shower, remembered to leave the hotel w. it, but didn't immediately put it back on, yet it was close enough to grab and hide when someone approached the car? makes no sense.

2. Speculation she was delivering a large amount of drugs cross country, then killed upon arrival: My problem isn't w. the delivering drugs cross country and ending up dead part...serious drug dealers aren't known for having a high regard for human life, and killing someone to avoid paying for the drugs would be exactly something they'd do. My problem is that this theory explains the tampering but ignores the other evidence, and seems to hinge a large part of the theory on the misspelling of Jack Kerouac in the note to her roommate...saying that the note was an explanation she was told to give to explain her month long absence, and if he was her favorite author, she'd know how to spell his last name. If you look at the note, she spelled Kerouac how it's pronounced, which is definitely believable- if she was leaving a note that a drug dealer demanded she leave and she'd never heard of the author, one would assume she'd look up the spelling. Not knowing how to spell his name (which is not the easiest to spell in the first place) doesn't mean anything other than she can't spell...my fiancé spelled my last name wrong for years after we started dating, even after i finally noticed and corrected him. my last name isn't the easiest to spell, and he made the same mistake leah did- spelled it exactly how you would assume to spell it after hearing the way it was pronounced. that being said, her family would have definitely known something was up if she had never mentioned kerouac to them prior to her disappearance. instead, they said she was interested on finding her spirituality, and spent her days in a coffeehouse writing poetry and journaling. i also find it unlikely she'd take her cat on a cross country drug deal. Also, the drug dealers would have certainly taken any valuables out of that car after the crash, that's a given. they just killed someone to avoid paying for drugs, yet failed to take the $2500 in the car? Not a chance, they'd have ransacked the vehicle for sure. She was definitely emulating kerouac's life, or trying to, i have no doubt about that

3. Disappearing in a state of fugue after the crash: there was no blood in the car, and from what i understand LE believe that car was tampered with. If she hit her head hard enough to give herself an injury so severe she'd have been in a state of fugue or amnesia to the point she could not remember anything about herself or where she was, there's no way there was no blood in that car somewhere- even if it was only a small amount. I find it extremely difficult to believe that she was in the car when it crashed.

What I believe happened is Leah took off cross country on a spiritual journey like Kerouac. She was probably naive and trusting, and never thought of the danger a woman would be putting herself traveling cross country alone and sleeping in her car. She probably thought nothing of what a vulnerable position she'd put herself in by telling strangers she was on a journey alone to find herself like Kerouac had been. She tells the wrong person and they target her because she's vulnerable. Clearly robbery wasn't a motive, so one would then assume the only other motive would be sexual assault. It clearly didn't happen in the car, so she was probably abducted, sexually assaulted, and then killed. The person who took her likely staged the accident. Sad case all around :(

CircuitGuy
10-17-2014, 01:42 AM
I'm unclear how the blankets were arranged or what they represent.

This was an old logging road that got almost not traffic, right? Supposed she closed the doors with the sheet jammed in them to keep the light out while she took a nap during the day. Then a criminal woke up her and took her away. The criminal purposely crashed her as a quick and dirty way to make it possibly look like an accident and to get her car to a more hidden spot. Some of the blankets stayed in place. The criminals didn't worry about the blankets. They just wanted to hide the car and get out of there with their kidnapping victim without getting caught.

The problem with this notion is they said the car was travelling 30-40 mph [55 kph] up hill. They didn't find damage to the steering wheel or traces of blood consistent with someone having been in the car during a crash at that speed. So how did this happen? They must be wrong or someone did something more sophisticated to cause the car to accelerate on its own. I tend to think it wasn't sophisticated b/c a criminal wouldn't put that much effort into something that doesn't really hide evidence. Maybe she did it to fake her own death, but again, it's a lot of work and really doesn't do much to fake her death compared to just ditching the car anywhere. Maybe the police are wrong that there was no one driving.

What is the most common notion about the blankets? Did people think the car crashed, breaking the windows, and whoever was in it put up the blankets to keep the elements out for the night? If they were well enough to do that, though, why wouldn't they set out on foot for the nearest town?

Merry
10-17-2014, 07:36 AM
I will say I find it odd that the blankets would be put up against the windows instead of around where Leah was sleeping. It doesn't stay warm at night even on a hot summer day here in Washington.

cherrydocs
11-12-2014, 01:42 AM
Bumping for Leah! I wish they would look over this case again, I wan't to know where she is!