alpharee
01-30-2004, 06:03 PM
This is so sad....
Wish we could do something for him.

All alone

Rini Caudill
The Chronicle-Telegram

ELYRIA — The plea was heartrending.
“Friend needed to talk to and visit with me in my home. Desperately need friendship and companionship.”
The tiny lines of black ink gave no clue, no details to explain how a life becomes so desolate a person would place an ad for a friend — in the Help Wanted section.
A phone number — 323-0966 — was listed.
Dennis Sprouse is 70. He lives with the help of oxygen tanks and walks with a cane. He is all alone in his apartment. He misses life.
“I’m just a tired, depressed man. I’m lonely,” he said, watching a black and white war movie from his living room recliner. “I practically live in this chair.”
His most constant companion these days is Jesus.
“I ask Him to just send me somebody, a friend, somebody I could talk to, pray with,” he said. “So far, He hasn’t answered.”
Once there was life, lots of it. He grew up on a dairy farm in Sandusky, then served in two branches of the military — the Army and the Navy. He fought in Korea, was shot in the stomach at the Choisin Reservoir and was awarded a Silver Star for bravery.
“I remember what I got the star for, I just don’t want to talk about it,” he said. “We lost six men that day. I always blamed myself for that, but people tell me I helped save the others.”
A car accident more than a decade ago broke his legs and his back, stealing his mobility.
A chronic respiratory infection steals his breath, tethering him to oxygen.
He used to love golfing and dancing and all kinds of music “except that rap and heavy metal. I don’t get that.” He proudly points to his collection of LPs that range from classical to Gershwin to musical scores. He loved to play rummy and pinochle.
“I was big time; I was the life of the party. I’d get people to dance.”
He has thought about buying a game system so he could still play golf from his recliner, but Social Security doesn’t stretch to fit such a luxury.
“By the time I get around to paying my rent and my utilities, I don’t have a hell of a lot left.”
He likes to read, especially murder mysteries and detective stories. He likes movies about war and gangsters, but not romance. “I don’t like those lovey-doveys they show on TV. Most of ’em don’t make no damn sense to me.”
The outside edges of his world starting shrinking while he was still a child. He was born in Steubenville, and lived a few doors down from a scappy boy named “Dino.”
“Dino” grew up to be Dean Martin. Dennis Sprouse grew up to be lonely.
He was one of nine children. The family moved to Lorain when his father was transferred to the steel mill there, then National Tube.
But his mother died when he was very young, and his father was forced to split his children up between relatives because he couldn’t raise them alone. Sprouse went to live with an aunt and uncle, separated from his siblings and his father.
He had friends, once. He was a member of several local veterans organizations. He worked at National Tube for a while, then worked at a series of jobs as a laborer until retiring in 1986. He was even married — but it ended recently after nearly 30 years. “My wife is gone,” is all he’ll say. He has no children. All of his siblings, except one brother who lives in Florida, are deceased.
“There’s an old saying, ‘Out of sight, out of mind.’ If they don’t see you, they forget you.”
He keeps a yellow calendar taped to the wall next to his chair “to remind me what day it is.” A handful of Christmas cards are still hanging from a wall next to his tiny kitchen. A neighbor checks on him and runs errands for him. A visiting nurse comes occasionally. Sometimes the pastor of the church around the corner will come and get him and take him to a service. He used to attend a Presbyterian church in Lorain before his disabilities took even that away.
His ad earlier this month generated a few calls; only one person came, but he never returned. He doesn’t want his picture in the paper; he doesn’t want his old acquaintances to see him the way he is now.
“I’m a young 70. People used to tell me I act like I’m 50,” he said. “I’m not cranky. I’ve had people tell me I’m disgustingly quiet and polite.”
“The worst part of this is, I’m so lonely. Sometimes I just sit here and cry,” he said, looking away. “I shouldn’t have told you that. A man’s not supposed to do that.”
“But even with all this, I feel blessed because I know God is here with me, helping me through this,” he said. “I put everything in God’s hands. I have to trust in Him, it’s all I can do.”

Casshew
01-30-2004, 08:13 PM
Makes you appreciate what you have in life :)

Thanx for posting that story Marie

Newswolf
01-30-2004, 08:33 PM
All the lonely people.

Makes me wish I could do something for him .

And all the others.

Alpharee if this in your area, what about calling the VFW , surely another old soldier could spare the time to chat and visit? Or a Seniors Club? Or AARP?

Things like this really bug me.

piper1
01-30-2004, 10:11 PM
I know this isn't the same thing as being there, but Do you think we could find an address and all of us send him postcards or something. Anything to cheer this poor man up?

CarolinaGirl
01-31-2004, 02:06 AM
That is so incredibly sad. I feel so bad for elderly people who are left alone.

I hope that some freak doesn't prey on him, after reading his ad in the paper. I have heard so many stories about people preying on lonely, elderly people. It's sad what people will do to get someone else's money.

I am in, for a postcard mass mailing. I hope we can get an address.

WasBlind
01-31-2004, 09:25 AM
I've got the address and the home phone, my friend lives nearby and is co-founder of an assisted living center. I will do what I can for him, bless his heart!!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, alpharee. Maybe my buddy can get him a P.O.Box, or accept his mail and then deliver it to him. I know we can come up with something.

xoxoxox to all, Lanie

blueclouds
01-31-2004, 12:09 PM
I know this isn't the same thing as being there, but Do you think we could find an address and all of us send him postcards or something. Anything to cheer this poor man up?

I tried to use the reverse directory listingings using his phone number. Finally found the area code he should be in and nothing came up. In a public record search, it found a Dennis D. Sprouse, age 71 but didn't list his address unless I paid for the search. If anyone else has some ideas, it would be great. I wonder how big this town is?! What if we sent letters to the lady who wrote the article in the paper? I bet she' deliver them.

bluehawaii25
01-31-2004, 12:38 PM
How sad! Makes one heart really ache for this poor little man! If an address can be posted- I, too, would like to send him a card.

piper1
01-31-2004, 02:40 PM
I posted yesterday that I e-mailed the news paper for an address to get cards and letters to this man. I guess it disappeared. I will let you know if they respond!

piper1
01-31-2004, 02:43 PM
I've got the address and the home phone, my friend lives nearby and is co-founder of an assisted living center. I will do what I can for him, bless his heart!!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, alpharee. Maybe my buddy can get him a P.O.Box, or accept his mail and then deliver it to him. I know we can come up with something.

xoxoxox to all, LanieLanie, you are a doll!:blowkiss: I am going to start writing my letter right now!!

Casshew
01-31-2004, 04:00 PM
Can you imagine his face when the mail man brings a sack of letters and postcards and good wishes? LOL What a great thing to do for this man.

You know whats scary? this guy is 12 years younger then the judge they appointed in the Scott Peterson case :eek: (since removed)

Newswolf
01-31-2004, 07:59 PM
I'll be glad to write too.

I just hope he gets his wish, someone to visit him and talk to him.

LadyLuck
01-31-2004, 07:59 PM
Sure hope you can get a PO. Box or something set up so we can all write him. It is sad to see someone that can no longer get out and about. My mother is 75 and can only leave the house to go to the doctor. She use to be on the go all the time. But thank God, we have a large family and she is not lonely. We make sure someone is with her at all times. We have Bingo parties, etc. Sure hope someone takes this gentleman under their wings.

alpharee
01-31-2004, 11:53 PM
SOrry I haven't got on here! Anyways yes I live nearby. Probably about 15 min from him. I've already thought about going to visit him myself! I'm worried to that someone will prey on him. Alot of sicko's out there.
I think the postcards are a wonderful idea!
If Lanie can't get something going, let me know. I have a PO Box and you guys could send cards to it and I'll hand deliver them. So Lanie let us know something as soon as you can so we can get this rolling.

WasBlind
02-01-2004, 07:16 AM
Marie, I have not heard back from my friend yet this morning, I will try and call her later on this afternoon. But, ideally, since you are so close, I think the idea of using your P.O. Box is perfect, if you don't mind it?

The reason I contacted her was to find out about his long term care. I know she could find folks to visit him and stuff, but he needs someone to adopt him, now, before his health falters anymore. I know I would not depend on the state to take care of me, so I was trying to figure out something for him as far as where to live, should he need to move.

Myself and Gera can write to him, today, and mail them out on Monday. However you wish to handle it, Marie, let me know, and I can do a mass mailing called "Adopt Dennis". I already have volunteers from my prayer group for the missing.

God bless each of you for caring for this sweet man, love Lanie

alpharee
02-01-2004, 10:31 AM
using my P.O box will be fine. I don't mind at all. I'll also hand deliver the letters/cards. I am going to call him today after church. I've already thought about asking him to lunch sometime next week. I know I'm only 29 (been that for a few years now) :D
But one day I'll be 70 and I hope someone is around for me to visit with.

alpharee
02-01-2004, 10:32 AM
If you are interested in sending Dennis a letter/card please send here:

Dennis Sprouse
P.O. Box 2101
Sheffield Lake, OH. 44054

piper1
02-01-2004, 10:39 AM
This is wonderful! WS'ers are the best!

WasBlind
02-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Special thanks to Marie for her generous offer of lending not only her P.O. Box, but also her time.

I have started the mass mailing, and am also making calls to make sure this mailing hits 2000 today.

If anyone wants this mailer, please send me an e-mail to MissingProfiles@yahoo.com

Please put as the title "Adopt Dennis-WS", so I open it....lol Dern viruses....ARGH

Praying for a HUGE response, xoxoxox Lanie

alpharee
02-01-2004, 02:32 PM
I've tried 4 times to call Dennis today and each time the line is busy! Hopefully he has an outpouring of friends now. (or he has his phone off the hook from all the calls!) I'll keep trying to reach him.

gretchen
02-01-2004, 03:28 PM
I sure hope his phone was busy for a good reason. I love old people, they are so wise. It is sad someone has to be lonely and depressed.
I am definately going to write him a letter. If I find a book I think he will like, I will send that too. Please keep us updated.

Casshew
02-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Hi everyone...

When I was out at the mall today I stopped in the card shop to pick something special to mail to Dennis..

It was then I noticed (of course) the huge rack of Valentines.. LOL so I thought why not?

There was a section for 'Religious Valentines" and I found one that was so nice... with a angel on it and very kind words.

I will be mailing it tomorrow to the PO Box that Marie provided... thanx Marie :blowkiss:

blueclouds
02-01-2004, 10:34 PM
thank you so much Marie. I hope to remember to continue letters to him on a monthly basis. In reality, it would only take me 15 minutes but would mean so much to him. I hope others here will continue and not stop.

alpharee
02-02-2004, 12:39 AM
Cass: You're just to sweet :)

I tried calling him all day today but never got thru. I'll try again tomorrow.
Once I get ahold of him I'll let ya know.

WasBlind
02-02-2004, 02:49 AM
blueclouds, if you keep a calendar, you could make a notation in it each month to write to Dennis. I think the initial mailing will be big, and then a few of us will continue to write. Imagine if 5-10 of us sent a note each month, how much brighter his life will be.

Cass, I am also sending a Valentine! My roommates are sending other type cards.

So excited to check my mailboxes in a few minutes and gauge the response.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far!
Hugs to Marie for the use of her P. O. Box.
Love and blessings to all, Lanie

LP Moderator
02-02-2004, 09:52 AM
If you are interested in sending Dennis a letter/card please send here:

Dennis Sprouse
P.O. Box 2101
Sheffield Lake, OH. 44054

Alpharee, I think you're an angel sent from God!!! Its terrific that you're doing this. Please make a post about this and place it in the jury room so those posters who might not read here in this forum can know what's going on. Maybe we can find out if his man needs anything. Clothing, food, subscriptions to magazines, etc. I'd be happy to contribute and my family will definately begin to write this man some letters.

Thanks again for this!!!

Casshew
02-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Hey... just mailed my valentine... hopefully Dennis will recieve it in a couple of days.

:)

poco
02-02-2004, 11:56 AM
I am sure there is something around your city, Alph, that caters to older people - kind of like a day care center for the elderly where they go once or twice a week, have lunch, make crafts, etc etc. Quite often the hospital or church will pick them up, too. If you are into it, check with your local hospitals and churches - someone should know something.

Granted he needs the cards and I think that is a wonderful idea, but I think he needs friends too.

Casshew
02-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Hi Poco... yup, real people there in person is the best! but the cards pouring in will definately cheer him up... he is way better off now then he was the day he placed that ad.

PS.. glad today is Feb 2, getting tired of your rodent popping up:slap:

alpharee
02-02-2004, 01:20 PM
thanks all for sending cards. They do brighten the day :)
I've tried again today to call him and it's busy so I'm beginning to worry a little.
I've tried ccalling the news editor that wrote the piece but she wasn't in. Not having much luck here but I'll definately get ahold of him sooner or later.
Again all thanks!

Actually Lanie where are you???:)
If you have that mass email you did up will you post it in the juryroom?
Thank ya :blowkiss:

poco
02-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Hi Poco... yup, real people there in person is the best! but the cards pouring in will definately cheer him up... he is way better off now then he was the day he placed that ad.

PS.. glad today is Feb 2, getting tired of your rodent popping up:slap:

I like my jumping groundhog - I just may keep him all year long!!!!

Maybe if you do get ahold of him, we can find out if he likes to read or what sort of hobbies he has. He sounds like he does not have much money - Maybe we could each donate $1 towards a grocery store gift certificate - just thoughts!

Newswolf
02-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Poco great idea.

Also the story says he likes to read murder mysteries, I certainly have enough of those around to send him some.

And he talked about maybe getting some kind of a game system so he could play golf from his chair - I'm not familiar with what that would be?

alpharee
02-02-2004, 06:27 PM
that would be a playstaion 2. Cost $180 without the game. Or regular playstation has them as well for about $100. I'm gonna try to call him right now.

alpharee
02-02-2004, 06:50 PM
update:
Just got off the phone with Dennis. Boy he's a very nice man! I really enjoyed my talk and just want you all to know he's really really excited about you guys writing to him! I can't even put in words how happy he was. He gave me his home address and I will be going to visit him this week. Also he said I can give you guys his home address. He doesn't understand how many "crazy" people are online so I opt to not put his address online. If anyone would like his home address, please feel free to write and I'll send it PM. He stated he would love a playstation but he has an old tv that it would not hook up to. (You can buy adaptors for those but he didn't know that :)
Also he loves murder mysteries, detective and any type of books that most of us sleuthers would enjoy :) So if you have spare books, etc, please consider donating them to Dennis. He also said he would love to write everyone who sends him a card but he has no way to get paper, envelopes and stamps. I will be stopping by the store to get him some of this so he can enjoy his new found friends. He says not many people have called him at all, even with the ad in the paper. :(
I gave him my phone number and told him to call anytime he feels like it.

He told me of how he wishes he had a computer so he could email everyone and even post on our board. If anyone has an old one you'd like to donate, contact me. I'll be on the look-out for a cheap one for him myself. Nothing fancy just something he could surf and access email. He really is a nice guy and sounds so young! I am surprised he's 70. I'll take my dig camera when I visit so all can see the joy you bring this this "young" man when he receives his letters and cards.
Thanks to all for your compassion. Love you guys!

Newswolf
02-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Alpharee , wonderful! You made contact and he's a nice guy and we have a way to help!!

Please pm me his address . I'll send him books. And stamps.

alpharee
02-02-2004, 07:29 PM
I've also wrote my son's teacher and told her the story. I ask her if she could have a class project where the children make something for Dennis. I think he'd enjoy that as well.

sansoucie
02-02-2004, 09:53 PM
You guys are something else! I think I will also write Dennis and maybe inform my kids' teacher as you are doing. I just became a member and can't think of more compassionate people than you all that I have met on the "net"!

Sansoucie

Newswolf
02-02-2004, 10:48 PM
sansoucie , would that translate as without help/care/worry?

I think the project for the kids is wonderful!

This gentleman reminds me of a house I pass about 10 minutes from our home. It's overgrown, the little home is swallowed by overgrown shrubs and trees, reminds me of Bo's house in To Kill A Mockingbird. I have stopped there several times with my electric trimmer and yard gloves in the back of my Jeep. I want to offer help to clean up the property and make it safer for whoever lives there. No one will answer the door. The neighbors claim no knowledge of who is inside. I think there are a lot of older people who should be valued and assisted.

LP Moderator
02-03-2004, 08:14 AM
You guys are something else! I think I will also write Dennis and maybe inform my kids' teacher as you are doing. I just became a member and can't think of more compassionate people than you all that I have met on the "net"!

Sansoucie

Hi and welcome to Websleuths!!! I've been here on this forum for years and I have the exact same impression of our posters. They are so thoughtful and generous. I hope you enjoy your time here and if you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact one of the moderators!! :)

alpharee
02-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Piper mentioed WebTV for Dennis and I never thought of that! I'll have to check into it. Thanks Piper for the idea~!

Casshew
02-03-2004, 08:38 AM

Sansoucie

Welcome to Websleuths sansoucie ;)

miimaa
02-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Would someone please PM me Dennis's address as well. I would really like to write him. Thanks.

alpharee
02-03-2004, 02:24 PM
I'm having people from all over the world wanting to do more for this man! Wow I never expected this! :) It's Wonderful!
Alot are asking me if they can donate thru paypal. I have set up an account for Dennis at paypal.com. The money will be used to buy stationary, stamps, other writing utensils, pharmacy gift cards, and whatever else he might need.

The email to send donations to is: adoptdennis@alpharee.com

poco
02-03-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm having people from all over the world wanting to do more for this man! Wow I never expected this! :) It's Wonderful!
Alot are asking me if they can donate thru paypal. I have set up an account for Dennis at paypal.com. The money will be used to buy stationary, stamps, other writing utensils, pharmacy gift cards, and whatever else he might need.

The email to send donations to is: adoptdennis@alpharee.com

WOW Alpharee - this is turning out to be sooo great! I bet you are so excited. Maybe we could end up with enough to buy him a new TV and a computer ---- how about that (of course, then he would have to pay internet charges each month, hmmmmmmm).

Please please keep us posted!

sansoucie
02-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Yes, thats what the name means... It's my last name and not very descriptive :)

sansoucie

Newswolf
02-03-2004, 11:56 PM
Alpharee , I need a hat tipping smiley for you but this :clap: and :woohoo: and this :blowkiss: will have to do!

I'll be at the Paypal window. I sent him things today.

Sansoucie, glad to hear it! ;)

alpharee
02-04-2004, 02:10 AM
Alpharee , I need a hat tipping smiley for you but this :clap: and :woohoo: and this :blowkiss: will have to do!

I'll be at the Paypal window. I sent him things today.

Sansoucie, glad to hear it! ;)
aww shucks, :blushing: Newswolf, thanks :)

txsvicki
02-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Dennis would be a perfect candidate for a retirement community based on income. I don't know about Ohio, but Texas has very nice apartment complexes for elderly people. Some pay very little rent each month. There, the people are surrounded by their peers, can visit, feel safe, etc. My Dad actually lived in one that was owned by a church. If I were alone, lonely, and on very fixed income, that's what I would want to do. If Dennis does rent, and is not afraid of a change like this, maybe his pastor or someone in the area could help him apply if he is interested.

poco
02-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Believe me, we have those retirement communities on every street corner here in Florida - kinda like bars up North......

I know they had them in PA, too.....

Please alpha, keep us posted. You are wonderful!

piper1
02-05-2004, 03:15 PM
bumping up

Rainie
02-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Piper mentioed WebTV for Dennis and I never thought of that! I'll have to check into it. Thanks Piper for the idea~!

I E-mailed you about the webtv. It's regular webtv and brand new. There are two kinds of webtv accounts. One is for limited access at $9.95 per month and then there's unlimited access for like $24.95 per month.
I've had webtv+ for a few years and I do like it.
I sit in a comfy chair, have a tv pop up and I have a nice large screen so it's easy on the eyes.

There are some drawbacks...no web dingys...and sadly, now that the format here has changed, I can no longer enjoy all of the wonderful emoticons that ws has.
I've tried hundreds of times to access them but it won't work.

Anyhooo, I will write to Dennis as soon as I get your PM or e-mail. Let me know what you think about the webtv.
In memory of my mom who the webtv was meant for I'd like to help someone in need.

Rainie

alpharee
02-05-2004, 03:56 PM
Rainie that is so sweet of you but I haven't received an email or PM from you :(
I'll call Dennis tonight and ask him about it. Hopefully $9.95 can be afforded for him.
(also I know that if you don't have a local number for Web Tv it cost even more-(up to $30.00 a month) I'll check on that too and see if they ahve a local number for him.
Thanks again Rainie, God Bless You and Your Family.

WasBlind
02-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Marie, I forwarded you the e-mail I got from Rainie.

God bless you, Rainie for offering this incredible gift to Dennis.

poco
02-06-2004, 05:56 AM
Marie, I forwarded you the e-mail I got from Rainie.

God bless you, Rainie for offering this incredible gift to Dennis.

Keep us informed - let us know what you need.....

WasBlind
02-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Update, I spoke to Dennis last night. Marie is correct, he is delightful. We only had a short talk, about 20 minutes, as someone came to his door. Marie and others who post here will tell you 20 minutes is short for this professional phone talker.....lol

He was very excited to have gotten a call from Germany from a Texan, he thought that was a hoot.

He is deeply moved by the response we are getting to the mailing, and he anticipates reading each and every card and letter, once they all arrive.

He does wish to receive calls, so if anyone wants his phone number, PM or e-mail me at MissingProfiles@yahoo.com and in the subject, please put "Adopt Dennis-WS", so I will not inadvertantly delete it, and thanks.

For everyone who has taken a few minutes to write this man, I thank you. God bless our veterans, they paid for our freedom, and to send a card is a small thing to do for someone like him. xoxoxox

Marie, you're an angel. Bless you, darlin'!

Love and blessings to all, Lanie

piper1
02-07-2004, 11:25 AM
bumping up!!

txsvicki
02-07-2004, 11:23 PM
I tried to look up the story on him in online newspaper. When I clicked the link to read the whole story, another page came up which had nothing to do with Mr. Sprouse. I guess they made a mistake in getting the stories straight.

WasBlind
02-08-2004, 04:56 AM
I think the pages are refreshed daily, txvicki. If you want a copy of anything, you can either write the newspaper, or myself or alpharee may have it on file.

God bless you, and thanks for caring about Dennis!

In Christ, Lanie
MissingProfiles@yahoo.com

*edited for typos*

alpharee
02-08-2004, 01:14 PM
the entire article is posted in the first post.

txsvicki
02-09-2004, 01:19 AM
Yes, I read the first post which has the whole story, but I was just looking up the newspaper article online and noticed that a person reading the local paper online wouldn't be able to access the whole article.

alpharee
02-09-2004, 09:04 AM
That came from online. They probably do not keep the pages linked for long. I'll try to find it if I can.

Rainie
02-09-2004, 03:47 PM
I was wondering if either of you has spoken to Dennis about the webtv?
I tried to call him but the line was busy. I found that to be a good thing. Hopefully so many wonderful WS posters are keeping him busy.
Hopefully his ear won't burn off from all of us. LOL

Hopefully we can make him a happy guy! He'll probably get lot's of valentines.

I think I'll go off line and try and call him.

((()))
Rainie

alpharee
02-10-2004, 01:00 AM
I was wondering if either of you has spoken to Dennis about the webtv?
I tried to call him but the line was busy. I found that to be a good thing. Hopefully so many wonderful WS posters are keeping him busy.
Hopefully his ear won't burn off from all of us. LOL

Hopefully we can make him a happy guy! He'll probably get lot's of valentines.

I think I'll go off line and try and call him.

((()))
Rainie
I've tried to call too and got a busy signal. Last time I had spoke with him he said he was having trouble with his phone. I'll try again later this week.

Babcat
02-10-2004, 01:15 AM
MSN has a new Web TV-like thing. I saw it advertized the other day. Maybe it has the ability to see the emoticons that Web TV filters out. I don't know the monthly cost.

piper1
02-10-2004, 03:07 PM
bumping up!

alpharee
02-10-2004, 04:09 PM
If anyone gets their letters/cards back, please PM for Dennis' Address. I have received many cards but my postmaster just informed me that he sent some of them back because Dennis is not authorized to receive mail from my PO Box. I was ticked to say the least. Didn't know I'd have to go to the post office and ADD him to my account. Most ridculous thing I heard. Sorry guys, he said he knows he sent a couple back. I do have many though and will take them to Dennis this weekend.

LP Moderator
02-12-2004, 10:58 AM
If this guy wants the Web TV, I think we can get a fund going to pay for the monthly fees for him. Please let us know what he thinks about it and how much it will cost. I'll pay for the first few months and we'll take it from there.

WasBlind
02-13-2004, 07:19 AM
For our adopted veteran

:blowkiss: to Dennis

Thanks to all who have replied, this is so neat for him!
Much love, Lanie

poco
02-13-2004, 08:14 AM
If this guy wants the Web TV, I think we can get a fund going to pay for the monthly fees for him. Please let us know what he thinks about it and how much it will cost. I'll pay for the first few months and we'll take it from there.

How sweet of you!!! Please alpha and wasblind, keep us informed of what we can do.

I am wondering if Dennis thinking he made a big mistake by posting that notice in the paper - "If that &$#@(*$ phone rings one more time....". hahahahaha

alpharee
02-13-2004, 11:59 AM
How sweet of you!!! Please alpha and wasblind, keep us informed of what we can do.

I am wondering if Dennis thinking he made a big mistake by posting that notice in the paper - "If that &$#@(*$ phone rings one more time....". hahahahaha

hahaha poco, I've wondered the same thing!
and oh my hahahahahaha that Valentine Sig! hahahaha..........you really did it this time!

alpharee
02-13-2004, 12:03 PM
That's very nice of you LP. I plan on going to visit him this weekend. I just checked and Web Tv aka MSN Tv does have a local number for him. The charge is $21.95 a month. I'll talk to him about the fees, etc. I know he'll need to buy an adaptor for about $20 because he has a very old tv he told me, but he wasn't given it up cuz it had a good pic! :D but I'll take care of that.

LP Moderator
02-13-2004, 03:43 PM
Since I'm not sure to read here every day, please PM me with an amount to send you for the three months and the address where I should send it to. If necessary, I'll keep paying for it if we can't get anything else going! This guy has served our country and for that, this is the very least I can do.

alpharee
02-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Since I'm not sure to read here every day, please PM me with an amount to send you for the three months and the address where I should send it to. If necessary, I'll keep paying for it if we can't get anything else going! This guy has served our country and for that, this is the very least I can do.
as soon as I hear something I'll PM ya. Thanks everyone for the outcome of cards/letters phone calls and items you have delivered to Dennis. He's a wonderful person and I know he appreciates it all.

WasBlind
02-17-2004, 07:52 AM
For Dennis

God bless our sweet veteran!

Hugs and blessings to all, Lanie

txsvicki
02-20-2004, 02:29 AM
Are there any updates about Dennis? Alpharee, did you get to visit with him over the weekend? The cards and calls have to be helping him to feel better and feel less lonely.

alpharee
02-20-2004, 08:50 AM
I've been real sick so I haven't gotten to visit with him. I did call him and tell him I'll be over as soon as I'm well. :(
I did get his cards delivered to him yesterday per messenger because I wanted him to have them ASAP. I had plans on taking him to lunch last weekend but the sick bug came to visit me. As soon as I'm over this, he'll be my first priority.

WasBlind
02-22-2004, 11:54 AM
I have you in my prayers, alpharee. So sorry to hear you've been down. No pestilence is allowed anymore, ok? lol

Hugs and blessings, Lanie

Newswolf
02-22-2004, 02:02 PM
Stopped by to see what's what with Dennis and sorry to read Alpharee you're sick, feel better vibes on the way.

alpharee
02-24-2004, 01:30 PM
Stopped by to see what's what with Dennis and sorry to read Alpharee you're sick, feel better vibes on the way.

thanks Newswolf, think I'm getting over it finally! I'm one who catches every cold out there and keeps it forever!

piper1
03-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Hi Marie, sorry to hear you are still under the weather! Maybe it is allergies? I got my letter to Dennis off, finally! I had sent it to your PO box and it was returned so I sent it off to his address. He has probably received it by now. I hope he is doing well. Have you talked to him lately?

Rainie
03-01-2004, 03:25 PM

Hi LP.
Dennis has written to me and says he'd love to join us here! I have the webtv all boxed and ready to go.
I do think the monthly fee may be a problem for him.
Is the offer still on the table to help him out with this?

Rainie

poco
03-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Hi LP.
Dennis has written to me and says he'd love to join us here! I have the webtv all boxed and ready to go.
I do think the monthly fee may be a problem for him.
Is the offer still on the table to help him out with this?

Rainie

Go read post #72 (LPMOderator) in this thread.)

Newswolf
03-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Alpharee you contaminated me on this thread, i have the crud too. But I forgive you cuz you're taking care of our guy.

I know I read here he has an old tv but it still works. Shoot you can get a nice new big tv for under $100. Circuit City (if you have those there) had a 20" one advertized this past weekend for less than $100. I'm happy to either buy him a new tv Iif someone can go get it to him) or pay for some of his web access in the same amoiunt, whatever he would prefer... So far I only have written and sent stamps and I will do more depending on his needs.

Texana
03-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Alpharee, I'm on for getting pms now--If you could send me his address when you get a chance--thanks muchly!

You are a sweetheart to take the time to this, if I haven't said so, and you haven't been told it enough already.

Take care of yourself, and I hope you are feeling better soon...maybe a little antibiotic at this point if you aren't feeling better soon! :doh: :blowkiss:

Texana
03-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Alpharee you contaminated me on this thread, i have the crud too. But I forgive you cuz you're taking care of our guy.

I know I read here he has an old tv but it still works. Shoot you can get a nice new big tv for under $100. Circuit City (if you have those there) had a 20" one advertized this past weekend for less than $100. I'm happy to either buy him a new tv Iif someone can go get it to him) or pay for some of his web access in the same amoiunt, whatever he would prefer... So far I only have written and sent stamps and I will do more depending on his needs.

Hope you are feeling better soon also... :blowkiss:

piper1
03-04-2004, 11:25 AM
I got a letter from Mr Sprouse yesterday! He sounds like such a nice man.

Marie, I hope you are feeling better!

WasBlind
03-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Texana, I have sent you Dennis' addy in your PM.

That's so kewl you heard back from him, piper1. So glad to see you posting. God bless you. He really is a sweetheart.

I tried calling again, and could not get through.
I will keep on trying till I get in touch with him, again.

Healing prayers for alpharee.

Blessings to all, and thanks for adopting Dennis.
With love and hope, Lanie
MissingProfiles@yahoo.com

babylove
03-04-2004, 02:49 PM
I haven't really been to this forum, but I popped in today and when I read about Dennis, I just had to get involved, I am from Cleveland, which can't be very far from Sheffield, if I am correct thats his PO BOX, is that where he lives too?

My hubby is currently a Naval Reservist, and will be entering active duty in July. I am SURE he would love to get together with Dennis, (lol if he can fit us into his now packed schedule! :D ) and talk about "those days" as he often does with veteran customers at his job as a teller at the bank.

Alpharee or Lanie, could you pm me any info on how to contact Dennis? We also have a spunky 17 month old, she is a joy and she just loves to entertain people, I read Dennis had no children or granchildren, I don't know how fond he might be of kids, but mine sure has a knack for lighting up peoples lives. She sure does mine. ;)

Anyways, like I said, we're a military family and we're near him, I'd love to have a visit... there are so many lonely elderly people, it breaks my heart, especially when they spent a part of thier life fighting for the freedom I enjoy today.

Thanks,
Veronica

alpharee
03-04-2004, 05:15 PM
I am still sick but I called Dennis and spoke to him, I told him as soon as I'm well I will be over there to visit.
Rainie, he does want the web tv so if you send it let me know so I can schedule a visit over there to hook it up for him.

Newswolf, he has a small tv and a big tv, both are old but they will work for webtv if we get that video part. I think it's about $20. Once I go over to his house I'll look at his tv's and see if that's what will work. By what Dennis told me he only needs that video part.

babylove,
I told Dennis about you and he was very excited. He said he LOVES babies and would love to play "grandpa" :D

To everyone who has sent cards, etc Dennis says Thank You and God Bless.
He said some did not put their return address on their cards and he can't write back so he said to thank you all for the cards, books, magazines. He said he feels good to know people care.

alpharee
03-04-2004, 05:19 PM

Awww....thanks for forgiving me Newswolf :D
Although maybe it was a computer virus that sent this crud?:D
I do have a circuit city here, but actually Dennis said he has 2 tv's, a small one and a large one. I think all we need is a video output part which is around $20.00. As soon as I'm well, I'll go over and see if that part will work. Alot cheaper than a new tv :) Thanks for your suggestion, it was very nice of you.

HoosierGal
03-04-2004, 08:35 PM
Alpharee

can you please PM me Dennis' address? I'd love to send him a card or 2. Thanks!

piper1
03-05-2004, 07:35 PM
bumping up!

Newswolf
03-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Alpharee, I'm better, hope you are soon. :blowkiss: Ok, if he doesn't need a tv, I will send him money for the Webtv. I'm one of those who wrote him without a return address because I didn't want him to feel obligated to write back, just wanted him to know people care.

Babylove, your offer is wonderful! I bet your toddler would have Dennis laughing in no time...and I'm sure he'd love talking with you all.

I hope there's someone with a van who can take him out for a ride or church or dinner or something, must be so hard stuck in that apartment.

CLM
03-08-2004, 11:47 AM
I just want to say that I think it is wonderful and incredible at how you all are helping Dennis. I plan to write and call him this week.

It is amazing, all of your compassion, and love for someone that you don't even know. I am so proud of all of you.

I just wanted to say that, and to say Thank you...

God Bless all of you and Dennis.

Newswolf
03-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Welcome CLM, I hope you do contact our guy.

Alpharee it sounds like he may indeed have some short-term memory loss. Poor baby.

alpharee
03-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Welcome CLM, I hope you do contact our guy.

Alpharee it sounds like he may indeed have some short-term memory loss. Poor baby.
Yes I believe he does. He called me yesterday and I ask him if he enjoyed his talk with Lanie the girl in Germany and he said he hasn't talked to her in a long time that she's only called once. And she just said she had a long nice talk with him the day before. (this would be her 2nd or 3rd call) So I do think he has a short-term memory loss problem :(

babylove
03-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Alpharee, I am sorry I didn't get back to you until today... I sent an email to you, its all in there. :o

I'm am so looking forward to meeting you and going to visit Dennis, he just sounds so darn sweet. :angel: My daughter is a real handful (lol what 17 month old isn't?) but I know she'll love Dennis, she is such a little flirt. Grandpas are her favorite people... maybe because she has two that spoil her way too much! She says the word grandpa, although it comes out more like BEPA!! lol It will be really nice though, seeing as how Dennis never had children, or granchildren in his life. I really hope we can brighten up his day very soon! :D

findlorne
03-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Just wanting to let everyone know that I have a few friends that are sad to hear how lonely Dennis is, yet are excited to be able to write to him.

Mail is coming Dennis' way!

With loving prayers,
Findlorne :angel:

miimaa
03-23-2004, 11:30 AM
I sent Dennis a card two weeks ago and received a reply from him on Friday. I'd waited to send anything because I thought he'd be buried under piles of mail but he says that's not the case and that he is still very lonely. In fact, he made it sound as if he still hadn't had much contact with others. I related that I'd read about him on the interent and he was surprised. I'd of thought he'd know his story is out here. Anyway, I'll send him a Easter card next week with a book of stamps.

DuckFeet
03-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Today I received a long handwritten letter from "Dennis". I had sent him a short note in response to this thread. His reply--- "I was given your name and address by a mutual friend who made me promise I wouldn't tell who. ...
I am a white 47 year old male, not married or involved with anyone right now."
He got my name and address from a card I sent. I was told he was a 70 year old, lonely little old man!!!!!!!! What's going on here?????????????

WasBlind
03-27-2004, 05:36 PM
I speak to Dennis by telephone often, as do others here. I am convinced he is a 70 year old man, and possibly looking for a date, as well. His voice does not sound young, but not really old either. His factual accounts of historical things witnessed during his lifetime lead me to believe he is definitely 70, and also the reporter would not have run the original story had he been younger and said he was older, if it were not true.

It has come to light now that possibly his short term memory is not working too well, anymore.

He may have found your card and not even realized who he was replying to.
Try and overlook this one, if you can. He is so sad and lonely, and I know the cards and calls have helped a lot to cheer him up, even if he cannot remember who they are from.

God bless you DuckFeet, Lanie

alpharee
03-27-2004, 05:46 PM
I speak to Dennis by telephone often, as do others here. I am convinced he is a 70 year old man, and possibly looking for a date, as well. His voice does not sound young, but not really old either. His factual accounts of historical things witnessed during his lifetime lead me to believe he is definitely 70, and also the reporter would not have run the original story had he been younger and said he was older, if it were not true.

It has come to light now that possibly his short term memory is not working too well, anymore.

Try and overlook this one, if you can. He is so sad and lonely, and I know the cards and calls have helped a lot to cheer him up, even if he cannot remember who they are from.

Lanie is right with her entire post. I think his memory is lacking. I've spoken to him many times and had plans last week to go see him but we got hammered with snow so I wasn't able to do so. Now I've hurt my back and am not moving around to well. I just spoke to him last night and he ask me to tell everyone he loves the cards so he knows he's out here online. I think he gets confused at times.

Duckfeet,
can you tell me where the post mark is on the envelope? How do you know the reply is from Dennis?

DuckFeet
03-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Lanie is right with her entire post. I think his memory is lacking. I've spoken to him many times and had plans last week to go see him but we got hammered with snow so I wasn't able to do so. Now I've hurt my back and am not moving around to well. I just spoke to him last night and he ask me to tell everyone he loves the cards so he knows he's out here online. I think he gets confused at times.

Duckfeet,
can you tell me where the post mark is on the envelope? How do you know the reply is from Dennis?

The return address is the address I wrote to. The name listed is "Dennis Sprouse". The Postmark says Cleveland, Ohio, March 24. The handwriting IS shakey like an elderly person. He signed it "Your Friend, Dennis". Seems to me, it's from "our Dennis". He was very clear that he was 47, white, male, not married or currently involved, and wanting me to respond with details of my life. Maybe he is 70, but this is a little weird. Others can respond to him. I'm bowing out of this communication.

alpharee
03-27-2004, 08:03 PM
The return address is the address I wrote to. The name listed is "Dennis Sprouse". The Postmark says Cleveland, Ohio, March 24. The handwriting IS shakey like an elderly person. He signed it "Your Friend, Dennis". Seems to me, it's from "our Dennis". He was very clear that he was 47, white, male, not married or currently involved, and wanting me to respond with details of my life. Maybe he is 70, but this is a little weird. Others can respond to him. I'm bowing out of this communication.

I do not blame you at all. I know he's a confused man for sure but this letter is too weird. I'm sorry. I thought we were all doing a wonderful thing for a lonely man who had no friends. Looks like he's living in another world and using his new pen pals to try and hit on women. And the age geez, why would he say he's 47. It would be obvious once you met him he's not.
I do know he's elderly. My friend who delivered the mail to him said he was elderly and very confused. Maybe when he wrote he was thinking he was 47, who knows....I'm scared to visit now.

lex
03-28-2004, 09:30 PM

xoxoxox to all, Lanie

hi wb, just read his story and it's wonderful how loving and helpfull eveyone is. maybe i can help. i am getting a new computer and would like to donate my current computer to this fellow. works great just doesn't have the memory i need. he can e-mail people all over the world like we do and won't be nearly as lonely. plus you can go round the world over and over again on the internet without leaving your chair!
if you think it's a good idea i need an address and name to send it to and somebody at his end to set it up. maybe your buddy? i can even donate a few dollars a month to help for dsl ( the only way to go). thanks

txsvicki
04-03-2004, 02:51 AM
I don't doubt the word of any of you on this forum or doubt that Dennis is an elderly man. But, what if he has some health attendant, nutty neighbor, or some man who responded to his ad, visited, stole some of his mail and sent the letter to duckfeet? The person could be taking advantage and trying to go thru Dennis' mail looking for cash or checks from goodhearted people. I am so mistrusting and always suspicious but this is odd and I hope that some jerk isn't using a confused elderly man to operate some scam.

missvee2000
04-07-2004, 11:02 AM
There are a lot of lonely people out there but too ashamed to admit it.We should slow down and just say "HI" to the next person you see.

drip~drop
04-08-2004, 12:35 PM
I don't doubt the word of any of you on this forum or doubt that Dennis is an elderly man. But, what if he has some health attendant, nutty neighbor, or some man who responded to his ad, visited, stole some of his mail and sent the letter to duckfeet? The person could be taking advantage and trying to go thru Dennis' mail looking for cash or checks from goodhearted people. I am so mistrusting and always suspicious but this is odd and I hope that some jerk isn't using a confused elderly man to operate some scam.

Dennis and I write and speak on the phone fairly often these days.
I have no doubt he's an elderly man.
He say's he rarely if ever leaves his apartment and that some neighbor brings him his groceries.
He should have his webtv by now and hopefully he had help setting it up.

I think I'll go give him a call in a minute. Sometimes he's confused is all.
My gut says he's on the up & up.

drip~drop
04-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Well, I've tried to call Dennis.
It seems that his phone has been disconnected!!!! :(

I know he was telling people to call him collect!! I hope not many did that!! :doh:

Unless I get another letter I'm not sure whats next.

I do know he can't use the webtv without phone service.

Oh well.........................

Rainie

lorann
04-13-2004, 09:02 AM
I made up a package with paper, envelopes, and stamps and included a letter.

I really didn't expect an answer - just wanted him to know someone out here cares. I used Lorann as my name but did put my return address. I did get an answer from him, says he hurt his legs and takes therapy twice a week to get legs working again and "everything looks good so far". Likes letter writing, does paint by numbers, excused his handwriting, he smokes a menthal cigarette, and smokes too much. He didn't say he was on oxygen. Doesn't drink any more but keeps beer on hand for friends. All of this is confusing.

The same day I mailed this package, I mailed another one (at some expense) to another internet related person. The lady at the post office started telling me horror stories. I thought maybe I would just sit back for a little while and see what experiences you all had. If he gets confused or has memory lapses, that does not bother me. Needing someone to communicate with is not too much to ask.

If someone here is visiting him and giving him some attention, that's a good thing. Learning the internet might be hard for him with these problems, but who knows, may be good for him. I am glad this was brought up again -

Please keep us informed.

Edited to add - His return address was written in an older person's handwriting however, above it written very nicely and in different color ink was "Dennis Sprouse" - and my name and address were in a different handwriting -?????

drip~drop
04-18-2004, 09:53 PM

Lanie.

Have you heard from Dennis lately? His phone has been disconnected and I have not gotten a letter in 2 weeks. ????????????

txsvicki
04-19-2004, 12:17 AM
Has Dennis been taken a packet of letters lately that have been sent to the Po box? I know the person took the first batch, but just wonder if anyone has taken any lately to be able to tell if he is still confused, has his Webtv, etc.

WasBlind
04-21-2004, 03:51 AM
I have recently heard from Dennis, in writing. He sounded well in his letter.
Will try and call again tomorrow. Have not have any problems getting through, so far. I know his telephone service is poor....I think the apts he lives in are poorly maintained as well. It's entirely possible this phone problem is a result of collect calls. I would never in a million years call him collect, but I guess maybe someone could have, and reamed his phone account.

Blessings to all who still write to Dennis.
Is he confused? Maybe. Elderly? Not in my mind, but he has had a hard life. If my hand hurts, I sometimes have my roommate fill out my envelopes. I have carpal tunnel, so who knows. I do not judge people, ever....but certainly not this sweet dear man....whom I now regard as family. He served our country, and was wounded. He was disabled in a wreck, and we (myself and my veteran friends, etc.) are trying to get him the help he needs. I think the VA hosp there is not up to snuff. I am making a lot of phone calls on his behalf. Will keep you posted as I know more. Do not know when I will post again, as I am currently caring for someone who is very ill. My pc time is quite limited nowadays.

We love because He first loved us. 1 John 4:19

For all who prayed and are praying, thank you. Will send another mailing once I can. xo
In Christ, Lanie

lorann
04-27-2004, 07:16 AM
:o

Since I posted and read other posts, I let things rest on my part. I had received a letter and hadn't answered it - but couldn't quite ignore it. I was confused about things going on and then decided, if I have been wrong about this man, then shame on me. What effort does it take to write and send a letter? So I wrote to him again, just a rambling letter about my yard, the weather, things in the news... I really didn't ask any questions that required an answer.

It sounds like he needs an advocate who can see that he is in better housing, perhaps where he can join others at meal times, make sure his physical needs are being met. Does anyone know if the VFW in that area is active and helpful? If receiving mail helps his mental needs, we can all do that - just a silly card or heck, I have seen jokes or stories on here that I have copied and saved for myself - maybe if he got something like this...

From here, all I can do is send cards and notes and books to read. His letter to me was confusing as it did not jive with what I had been told. If he just gets confused, if going back to his younger days, that's ok too. Sometimes I wish I could go back to younger days.

DuckFeet
05-04-2004, 03:19 PM
I am still getting letters from Dennis consistently portraying himself as a much younger man -- taking Real Estate Classes to expand his horizens and income, decorating his apartment, dating, looking for a partner... Because I do not feel comfortable with his CONSISTENT inaccuracies, I have not responded. That only increases my mail from him. I am now writing "Refused-Return to Sender" on the envelopes and sending them back. He is not making inconsistent, forgetful- type, statements. They are a consistent and elaborate story that does not jive with what the rest of you are getting from him/relaying about him. This situation seems really odd to me.

LP Moderator
05-04-2004, 05:21 PM
That's pretty strange Duckfeet!! Do you ever approach him with the inconsistencies?

txsvicki
05-05-2004, 01:26 AM
haven't only a few gotten letters from Dennis, and then the others have talked on the phone to him. Those who've talked to him on the phone seem to have noticed some confusion, and the person who delivered the batch of letters to Dennis noted some confusion. I think that the person writing the letters to duckfeet must be some other person who got into Dennis' mail or letters. Duckfeet, did these new letters actually claim to be Dennis or still the friend who got your address and promised not to tell who from?

DuckFeet
05-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Duckfeet, did these new letters actually claim to be Dennis or still the friend who got your address and promised not to tell who from?

ALL the letters I have received have been signed "Your friend, Dennis". They are all in the same shakey handwriting and have the same return address as I first mailed to. DENNIS SAID that he got my address from a "mutual friend"
and did not want to reveal who is was. Dennis and I live in far distant states. We have NO mutual friends. The only way Dennis got my address was from the one and only card I sent to him. He is consistently leading me on about his age, health, financial status, occupation etc. The letters make fairly good sense and the "story" carries from one letter to the next.
I really don't know what to think.

DuckFeet
05-05-2004, 05:42 PM
That's pretty strange Duckfeet!! Do you ever approach him with the inconsistencies?

Except for the original card I sent, I have not replied. I am a little unnerved to.

Casshew
05-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Hi Duckfeet,

I never received a reply from him at all... I sent him a nice card & letter in February. It is funny how some he replies to with truthful statements, some, like yourself with odd statements, and to me not at all!

Well at least he knows people cared enough to contact him and converse ~ he was really not alone in the world after all.

Do you think you will write him back? :confused:

fivekidz4me
05-20-2004, 02:37 AM
I am still getting letters from Dennis consistently portraying himself as a much younger man -- taking Real Estate Classes to expand his horizens and income, decorating his apartment, dating, looking for a partner... Because I do not feel comfortable with his CONSISTENT inaccuracies, I have not responded. That only increases my mail from him. I am now writing "Refused-Return to Sender" on the envelopes and sending them back. He is not making inconsistent, forgetful- type, statements. They are a consistent and elaborate story that does not jive with what the rest of you are getting from him/relaying about him. This situation seems really odd to me. Previous quote "Today I received a long handwritten letter from "Dennis". I had sent him a short note in response to this thread. His reply--- "I was given your name and address by a mutual friend who made me promise I wouldn't tell who. ...
I am a white 47 year old male, not married or involved with anyone right now."

Just my observation--------Dennis is the "mutual friend" of yours-Dennis has your address..........

Dennis may have given your address to his 47 yo friend-and made his friend promise not to tell. The correspondence is most likely not from Dennis, but from Dennis' friend. Dennis may have wanted to help his friend out since his friend may have been jealous of all the females writing to him-and thought he might get lucky and find a nice gal! My guess- this is one of his helpful neighbors who brings him groceries, and reads his mail.....
AND COULD have the same name "Dennis" or is giving you that name in hopes to hear back from you.
At least it sounds that way....

txsvicki
05-20-2004, 10:36 PM
I wonder if someone should contact the elder abuse authorities about Dennis. Since his phone is now disconnected, he seemed extremely confused to the one messenger who delivered the initial letters, and because of this very strange development. One of the posts said that a pay pal account was being set up for Dennis and many people were responding, so Dennis could have gotten quite a bit of cash in the mail. I haven't read any posts stating that anyone has actually gone to visit Dennis in person, and only a few have talked to him on the phone. Someone could be taking advantage of him or running some type of scam. How could Dennis afford a newspaper ad, be able to give an interview, receive money from people, then have to disconnect his telephone. It all seems fishy to me, and I'll bet the newspaper that ran the ad about Dennis would be glad to help out and do some investigating.

lorann
05-21-2004, 10:47 AM
I sent a request to the newspaper to please do a follow up story on Dennis - I have heard nothing from them - if anyone local sees a story, please post.

When I sent a letter, I did not put an address on the letter itself, just the envelope - he said he got it off the pkg. This is when he told me what cigarettes he smoked and that he kept beer in the house for friends... I too feel he is being taken advantage of by someone helping him - I feel sad because the real Dennis may not even know there are people who care about him.

Camper
05-23-2004, 09:34 AM
Hi Duckfeet,

I never received a reply from him at all... I sent him a nice card & letter in February. It is funny how some he replies to with truthful statements, some, like yourself with odd statements, and to me not at all!

Well at least he knows people cared enough to contact him and converse ~ he was really not alone in the world after all.

Do you think you will write him back? :confused:

=====<>< I just found this thread today, May 23, 04.
Casshew, maybe he runs short of paper and stamps!

Those who have gotten letters, what type of paper does he write on, stamps are an expense for him no doubt, especially if he is on the up and up. It is difficult for older folks to physically write much, arthritis etc. My heart went out to his needs as well, but surely he could qualify easily with his military service to get into an assisted living situation, or a nursing home.

Sad, deal. I saw a whole boatload of sadness in the nursing home when hubby was there. Guys who obviously were veterans, and through hard living and lifes slings and arrows were having a hard time, and wheel chair bound. The VFW should come to the rescue and would be a valuable asset in determining for one of our WS'ers on just 'Exactly' what Dennis needs are for us, and if someone is taking advantage of him in some way, etc.

lorann
05-24-2004, 08:37 AM
The first time I wrote, I sent lined writing paper, envelopes, and a book of US Flag stamps. That is what my letter from him was written on and the return addy was in two different handwritings. I can't remember what I said in my letter - nothing to indicate I was a single female looking for a love interest I'm sure. I think the real Dennis needs help but not sure I can help by writing, I think someone is taking advantage of him. Do they mean any harm to him? I doubt that - just using the kindness of strangers. Does it make me mad? - no, but it does make me sad. Wish someone could take care of this situation for his sake.

kimmy_q_sky
07-13-2004, 06:06 PM
May I ask whatever happened with all this?? I just found this thread (thanks to Casshew's link) and now I'm curious!! Does anyone still keep in contact with the man???

txsvicki
07-13-2004, 08:12 PM
I also wondered what has happened. Whether his web tv was delivered. A paypal account was set up in his name, so I would think that he got some extra money for stamps. I don't know, there were no more posts about it. If Dennis was getting some in home health care they should be able to refer him to other programs. I think Dennis may have a younger friend who ran a scam. Some people talked to him on the phone and they think he is legit, but that he may being taken advantage of. I know from my experience with my own veteran dad, he was a con artist until the day he died. I've seen him move out of apartments without notice, getting his full deposit back, being given the whole apt. full of furniture, and not lifting a finger to move his own self. He was even bootlegging in a retirement home. Not all elderly are honest but hopefully Dennis is okay and happy.

WasBlind
07-14-2004, 08:32 PM
I have not heard anything from Dennis in a while. I have tried to call, as well, and every time I get a recording (from Germany in German) that is so fast I cannot understand it.

It's not the usual recording, so I doubt his line is busy.

Anyone else tried to call lately?

Praying he is ok, Lanie

alpharee
07-16-2004, 10:10 PM
I haven't heard from him in a long time. I no longer have his phone number as he left many rude and nasty voice messages on my answering machine when I was out of town visiting family. I really wanted to help out and was enjoying what we were doing but I did not appreciate the tone and language he used when leaving me messages. I have a child that could have easily heard these messages. Thank Goodness he didn't.

Since I did not return his calls, I have not heard from him nor did I write down his new number he left on my machine.

AuburnJenn
07-17-2004, 05:42 PM
I have been curious about this post as well...I am glad it started up again. What kind of rude/nasty messages did he leave you, alpha? What were they regarding? It all seems so bizarre to me. After reading everything, it does sound quite inconsistent and like there is more than one person running some type of scam. Does anyone have the name or phone number of the original reporter who first ran the story? Perhaps someone in that town could contact the reporter and tell him what has gone on with this group and see if he could do a follow-up. If it does turn out to be a scam, the newspaper could be made more aware of people trying to do this type of thing.

alpharee
07-18-2004, 12:27 AM
I don't think it was a scam. He did put an ad in the paper and the reporter went to his home to interview him. ( I live in the area )

I'm not sure if he's "confused" or enjoys having one "pity" him but he would tell me no one has wrote him or called him. (And I knew they had, I had even sent over lots of cards, letters and books that came from my PO Box and he said he never got them but my friend HAND DELIVERED them so I know he did. I'm not sure what was up but I went out of town for 2 weeks and when I came back he had left me over 25 messages. They were full of demands and he used swear words that I did not appreciate. (Demands to call him, demands to go to the store and purchase him cigarettes, etc) I think he thought I was ignoring him and he gotr angry and began to curse me in the messages. I did not ignore him, I was visiting relatives. Anyways after those messages and what I read on here I decided not to call him back or go to his apt. (Another member and I were making plans to take him to lunch)I haven't heard from him since.

WasBlind
07-18-2004, 12:58 AM
I don't think it was a scam. He did put an ad in the paper and the reporter went to his home to interview him. ( I live in the area )

I'm not sure if he's "confused" or enjoys having one "pity" him but he would tell me no one has wrote him or called him. (And I knew they had, I had even sent over lots of cards, letters and books that came from my PO Box and he said he never got them but my friend HAND DELIVERED them so I know he did. I'm not sure what was up but I went out of town for 2 weeks and when I came back he had left me over 25 messages. They were full of demands and he used swear words that I did not appreciate. (Demands to call him, demands to go to the store and purchase him cigarettes, etc) I think he thought I was ignoring him and he gotr angry and began to curse me in the messages. I did not ignore him, I was visiting relatives. Anyways after those messages and what I read on here I decided not to call him back or go to his apt. (Another member and I were making plans to take him to lunch)I haven't heard from him since.

Thanks for the update, alpha

So you never did get to go and visit him, then?

Do you know what ever happened with the web TV and the other pc that was offered, did anyone get either one to him?

Did you say you got some paypal donations, and if so what happened with the monies donated?

I think he is confused. I think he is depressed and probably drinks out of boredom and depression sometimes. I mean he is stuck in that little apartment with nothing but a dern TV. That would bite.

If you happen to find out anything, a new number, please e-mail it to me, alpha, cuz I wish to try and stay in touch if possible. I think Dennis is safe, but you have to follow your heart and do what is best for your child.

Thanks and blessings to you and yours, Lanie
HelpForTheMissing@yahoo.com

Camper
07-18-2004, 08:30 AM
this could be more of a police matter or social services issue. Or better yet, contact a minister of a christian church near where he lives.

He may well have Alzheimers, and could in fact need more help than a card or phone call would give him.

Crimes against the elderly are manifest and an ugly little secret.

He, I believe needs someone in authority in his city to check the whole thing out, for his benefit, just to make sure someone is not taking his living money from him and just providing booze or something similar.

txsvicki
07-18-2004, 01:10 PM
I tried to contact the reporter by email several months ago but my email was returned and I don't remember exactly why. I know that someone had to run that initial ad, but I wouldn't doubt if Dennis had some extra help from someone. Dennis doesn't sound too confused if he knew to call the number of the person who has the po box where things were being sent to him at. He, or whoever was with him, were probably hoping for quite a lot of cash to be sent or donations via pay pal.

AuburnJenn
07-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Now that is really strange if the reporter's email was returned. The only thing I can figure is that this man does have Alzheimers, or is somewhat senile and does not remember or understand what is going on. That, or he has some "help" from a younger neighbor, relative or acquaintance who is pocketing the money and taking the help offered for Dennis for himself. If he was a veteran, could the local VA hospital send someone to check on him at that address?

alpharee
07-28-2004, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the update, alpha

So you never did get to go and visit him, then?

Do you know what ever happened with the web TV and the other pc that was offered, did anyone get either one to him?

Did you say you got some paypal donations, and if so what happened with the monies donated?

I think he is confused. I think he is depressed and probably drinks out of boredom and depression sometimes. I mean he is stuck in that little apartment with nothing but a dern TV. That would bite.

If you happen to find out anything, a new number, please e-mail it to me, alpha, cuz I wish to try and stay in touch if possible. I think Dennis is safe, but you have to follow your heart and do what is best for your child.

Thanks and blessings to you and yours, Lanie
HelpForTheMissing@yahoo.com

No I never said I got donations. I did set up a paypal acct because others suggested it but no one donated so closed it months ago.
He may be safe but I am not taking chances, sorry. As far as alcohol involved I think it is and I will not be around it or subject my family to it. I really enjoy helping people but I think this turned into much more than someone wanting a "friend" I'm sorry to involve so many, I thought we were doing a good deed but I indeed think it was a mistake now.
Yes he seemed like a nice man in the beginning but if you had heard those messages, you would understand where I'm coming from. DO I think it was a scam NO, but abusing ones' friendliness, YES.

alpharee
07-28-2004, 11:20 PM
I tried to contact the reporter by email several months ago but my email was returned and I don't remember exactly why. I know that someone had to run that initial ad, but I wouldn't doubt if Dennis had some extra help from someone. Dennis doesn't sound too confused if he knew to call the number of the person who has the po box where things were being sent to him at. He, or whoever was with him, were probably hoping for quite a lot of cash to be sent or donations via pay pal.
He recieved no cash as far as I know. He did receive the webtv because it was mentioned in one of his messages. You're right, he wasn't confused a bit when he continued to call me. He did ask me for money on several occassions to buy "cigarettes" in which I said NO I will not do, he got angry with me.

lorann
08-09-2004, 08:25 AM
We proved that we here at Websleuths are a good family. We wanted someone to know they were respected for their past service, we wanted this person to not have to spend their days being lonely, on and on, our prayers and attempts to help are a good thing.

Evidently, the people here are use to helping others for whatever reason. Perhaps we have been helped at one time, or someone we know, or just like to give a helping hand. This instance does not change that for me. This just proved to me that Dennis (or Dennis and friend) do need our prayers and good thoughts. Maybe someday, if we were being used, he will get the message.

This will not keep me from doing things for other people, there are so many people that just receiving a card can make a big difference in their day. So keep doing for others cause it feels sooo good.

alpharee
08-11-2004, 12:45 AM
We proved that we here at Websleuths are a good family. We wanted someone to know they were respected for their past service, we wanted this person to not have to spend their days being lonely, on and on, our prayers and attempts to help are a good thing.

Evidently, the people here are use to helping others for whatever reason. Perhaps we have been helped at one time, or someone we know, or just like to give a helping hand. This instance does not change that for me. This just proved to me that Dennis (or Dennis and friend) do need our prayers and good thoughts. Maybe someday, if we were being used, he will get the message.

This will not keep me from doing things for other people, there are so many people that just receiving a card can make a big difference in their day. So keep doing for others cause it feels sooo good.
You're right lorann :clap: There are many many good people out there that could use a helping hand and I will gladly help all that I can.

grapevine
09-10-2004, 02:08 AM
i have been reading about Dennis, I live in a complex for 62yrs and older, this is a lonley place too.every one here has family but me, being the youngest here, i know what lonley is. the hardest thing is not having a car, every one wants money for gas, which is fair.i know there are things i need, even dish soap. i'm going to be 64 on the 23th of sept. ouch.
thanks for being out there.
judy long

lorann
09-16-2004, 06:00 PM
Grapevine, I don't know where you live but most areas have vans that will take you shopping. If you live in a complex for seniors, perhaps the people in charge of it can put you in touch with the help you need. It is always nice when people offer to bring you things but getting out is important too.

I have a senior that I take shopping once per month for a big shopping, and it was hard for her to get use to thinking ahead for what she might need before the next big shopping. She has another friend who takes her when she just needs a few things.

Perhaps if you chat with any of the others in your complex, you will find others who would like a van to pick them up too, and you can have an "outing".

poco
11-24-2004, 06:14 AM
Hmmmm, I think this is a dead thread..... http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage13/12.gif

shoppingcat
11-27-2004, 02:42 AM
Who is Arlene *?
*SPROUSE,ARLENE R 509 Walnut St, Elyria, OH 44035-3374 SPROUSE,DENNIS D 509 Walnut St, Elyria, OH 44035-3374

gentleheart
12-19-2004, 03:22 AM
Hello,

I just stumbled upon this thread tonight and it caught my eye as I live in Elyria and have family that lives about a block away from Walnut St. Has there been any followup? I also have a friend who is a member of the EPD...

I was touched by your outpouring of love and kindess for this virtual stranger and just wondered if anyone had kept in touch.

Take care,

gentleheart

txsvicki
12-19-2004, 04:05 AM
Just be careful of people online you don't really know. Even the btk strangler serial killer who has resurfaced is considered "elderly".

alpharee
12-19-2004, 03:23 PM
:slap: YOU SHOULD NEVER POST PERSONAL INFO LIKE THAT!!!!

BTW Arlene is his wife who passed a few years back. Elderly people do not always change their phone listings.

alpharee
12-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Hello,

I just stumbled upon this thread tonight and it caught my eye as I live in Elyria and have family that lives about a block away from Walnut St. Has there been any followup? I also have a friend who is a member of the EPD...

I was touched by your outpouring of love and kindess for this virtual stranger and just wondered if anyone had kept in touch.

Take care,

gentleheart
Hello Neighbor! I live in the area as well. (Grafton) Anyways last I heard from Dennis he was wanting me to go get him cigarettes and I declined to do it. Then I was on vacation and he left ugly messages on my phone because I would not contact him. I was out of town. I think he thought I was avoiding him but that was not the case. I haven't spoke to him since the ugly messages. (Swearing and rudeness) So I'm not sure how he is. I pass by his apartment building when going to Value City and I often wonder how he is but I no longer have a number for him. (He changed his phone number)
I only hope he is doing well.

Wolfie7
02-26-2005, 11:43 PM
Just be careful of people online you don't really know. Even the btk strangler serial killer who has resurfaced is considered "elderly".OMG! I just found this thread and read many of the posts. Well, I wonder what happened with Dennis? Do you know?
Also, I live in TX :)
And now :eek: the really eerie thing is that the BTK strangler was just captured yesterday!!!

NK57
03-24-2005, 09:14 PM
I too just happened to stumble upon this thread. What ever happened to Dennis? Anyone?

KrazyKollector
03-28-2005, 04:21 PM
Hi alpharee and gentleheart!:woohoo:

I am also in the area (Sheffield) {waving hello and typing with one hand..}. I am wondering if there was any update at all?
Why I am I humming the tune "It's a Small World"?:waitasec:

spygirl
04-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Hi all. I just stumbled on this thread today. Even though it's an old one, I decided to start reading it anyway. I got to about the 30th post, and started feeling really bad for this guy. At the same time, something didn't seem right. I have my options set to read 20 posts per page, and I began to think that there should have been more pages since the first post on 1-30-04. I'm like, "What if this man died or something?" So instead of setting myself up by reading the entire thread and discovering the worst, I decided to skip to the 6th page. This story definitely belongs on the Bizarre News forum, that's for sure. I'm glad the thread is still posted in case anything else develops. It's really still an open-end situation; no one has posted to say whether or not he was heard from again, or what is going on in his life. That's too bad. What a bummer for Alpharee, and everyone else who went out of their way to help. I wonder if he thinks about it, or if his mind has totally slipped away. Gee, this is weird. Anyway, I hope he writes or calls someone...if I lived closer, I would go and knock on his door myself and DEMAND an explanation. I'm not kidding. Hmm. What a very, very strange story indeed.

Cydbaby
04-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Marie,

Is there an address where I could write to this sweet man?

IrishMist
04-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Marie,

Is there an address where I could write to this sweet man?
Cydbaby, have you read through this thread? You may want to do that before you get too concerned about getting involved...

alpharee
04-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Hi alpharee and gentleheart!:woohoo:

I am also in the area (Sheffield) {waving hello and typing with one hand..}. I am wondering if there was any update at all?
Why I am I humming the tune "It's a Small World"?:waitasec:
Hey Krazy it is small I moved from Sheffield Village to Grafton in Dec.
It is a small world but then again this is a big board! :)

alpharee
04-14-2005, 12:09 AM
The address is in the thread. Someone posted it, although I don't think they should have. I no longer have any contact with Mr. Dennis due to his bizarre bahaviour. (read all posts and you'll know what I mean)

Puca
05-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Isn't it time that we put this one in the history books? I have read about it for so long I have achieved his age and problems. :twocents:

icesugar
05-16-2005, 05:01 AM
WOW...i have just read this entire thread..........i was fixated. this is a bizarre one. gee i am glad i dont live in the usa...he he.

sharon25
05-16-2005, 05:12 AM
WOW...i have just read this entire thread..........i was fixated. this is a bizarre one. gee i am glad i dont live in the usa...he he.
:) was this your first post??

welcome!

icesugar
05-17-2005, 02:39 AM
no i was posting in the runaway bride thread but they were all deleted :)

so i try once more lol

jaxibear
06-21-2005, 08:11 PM
Wow! I did too.

First of all, I am so amazed at the kind hearted people here. What a wonderful thing to do. I am sorry at the way it ended. :( At least the kindness of strangers is alive and well here though.

txsvicki
10-27-2005, 08:15 PM
I was suprised to see this thread again. I thought Dennis was a con back then and I still do, with someone, such as a younger man working with him by putting the ad in the paper to begin with. Old men aren't always nice.

grapevine
11-09-2005, 01:10 AM
I tried to use the reverse directory listingings using his phone number. Finally found the area code he should be in and nothing came up. In a public record search, it found a Dennis D. Sprouse, age 71 but didn't list his address unless I paid for the search. If anyone else has some ideas, it would be great. I wonder how big this town is?! What if we sent letters to the lady who wrote the article in the paper? I bet she' deliver them.
try zaba, it is free i HAVE FOUND PEOPLE USING THIS site.

BuQueLady
12-11-2005, 12:11 PM
What a surprise to read your thread about Dennis Sprouse! I'm from another site and we did the same thing recently - jumped in and starting helping him when his article showed up on our site. Amazing!

However, I did some checking and called local agencies in his area. He did receive services at the time you were writing and calling him: home health services and local veteran's group was providing transportation. A caseworker did mention that he had a young woman staying with him, who had lost her job and apt, stayed about 6-7 months.

Also spoke to Rini Caudill, Chronicle reporter, and she had alot to say. Even after 2 yrs, she still felt betrayed by Mr. Sprouse for, as she felt, lying about his military medals. She did confirm that he was in the military but he received no medals.

Most of us have been mailing letters. One poster arranged for a church to send a visitor and that seemed to go well. Most return letters from Mr. Sprouse seem to express his lonliness, having received no mail [he's written this to several people already] and that no one has visited him [but we have confirmation of that church visitor]. In light of of the poster who found this website and his divorce decree online, after he's told several of us, he's widowed [10 months, 6 yrs, 3 yrs; take your pick], I've found this case with Dennis Sprouse taking a decidely unusual twist.

Just wanted you to know that there are other kindhearted people out there too, who have tried to help him, and are wiser for your experiences.:)

reb
12-15-2005, 09:44 PM
just goes to show you that you should be kind and generous, but skeptical at the same time. don't believe everything you read, especially if you haven't met the person. PEOPLE LIE!!!! and maybe this has something to do with why this guy is so "lonely",, becuase maybe he lies, doesn't treat people well, and maybe has not been so good at keeping friends over the years. some of this could have been due to alcoholism, and now it may also have a lot to do with dementia.

although part of the blame for this whole fiasco lies with the reporter-- nice idea for a tearjerker of a story,, but SHAME ON HER for not checking into the TRUTH behind it-- it seems she just printed whatever sounds good, and didn't bother with verifying anything.

moral of story: don't let your heartstrings get in the way of your head.
it's tempting to reach out and make a lonely elderly person (or anyone in need) feel better-- and we all know there's an infiite number of them out here who would be so happy to get just a sliver of the attention that dennis got. however, you have to think-- do i really want to get involved in this? because when you do, it may not be so easy to get out. these peoples' needs are oven endless, and it feels good at first, but charity often can turn into a burden.

funny, this story reminds me of the one of the older italian man putting an ad in the paper for a family to adopt him.... he recieved an outpouring of offers, and a family actually did-- and then he turned out to be a con man!

BuQueLady
12-16-2005, 01:15 AM
When I did talk to Rini Caudill, she said the Chronicle wanted to publish the story ASAP, so it wasn't researched as she wanted to do it. She verified the military info after the article was published.

Since I did most of the phone calling and verifying for our group, I look at it as a learning experience. The blame game doesn't work for me, everyone does what they think is best given the info they have - JMO.

alpharee
12-16-2005, 12:18 PM
What a surprise to read your thread about Dennis Sprouse! I'm from another site and we did the same thing recently - jumped in and starting helping him when his article showed up on our site. Amazing!

However, I did some checking and called local agencies in his area. He did receive services at the time you were writing and calling him: home health services and local veteran's group was providing transportation. A caseworker did mention that he had a young woman staying with him, who had lost her job and apt, stayed about 6-7 months.

Also spoke to Rini Caudill, Chronicle reporter, and she had alot to say. Even after 2 yrs, she still felt betrayed by Mr. Sprouse for, as she felt, lying about his military medals. She did confirm that he was in the military but he received no medals.

Most of us have been mailing letters. One poster arranged for a church to send a visitor and that seemed to go well. Most return letters from Mr. Sprouse seem to express his lonliness, having received no mail [he's written this to several people already] and that no one has visited him [but we have confirmation of that church visitor]. In light of of the poster who found this website and his divorce decree online, after he's told several of us, he's widowed [10 months, 6 yrs, 3 yrs; take your pick], I've found this case with Dennis Sprouse taking a decidely unusual twist.

Just wanted you to know that there are other kindhearted people out there too, who have tried to help him, and are wiser for your experiences.:)

It's good to know there were others trying to help, it hurts that we all were lied too. He told everyone he never received letters or phonecalls and I know for a fact he did too as I arranged the letters to be mailed to my PO Box and then a male friend of mine took them to him. I also spoke to him several times on the phone. It all seemed weird but I had enough when he began to call my home wanting me to bring him cigarettes and got angry when I would not return his calls (I was out of town)

It's sad we were taken advantage of but good to know Loving Caring People still exist :)

Puca
12-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Dear Alpharee, I thank you for your posting. It would seem that Dennis Sprouse has hoodwinked us all. It seems he has had about 11,000 responses to his forum letter, been reached out to by churches, e mailers, and younger residents living with him, and is still a lonely man?
I am of his age, have a "sharp shooters and good conduct medal after three year in the far East with the Marine Corps. Not very impressive is it? Have been widowed twice to the killer cancer. I deeply miss both of these ladies but refuse to be a Sprouse type person because of it.
I, for one, am not lonely. Mr. Sprouse should get out and do voluntary service. He no longer will be lonely and be of some service to this wonderful country of ours.
My feelings are that "Webslueths" has kept him on only because it is the most responses they have ever receive from one forum entry.(Sticky it is time to give this up.)
What say Ye!

Opie
12-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Puca, I second that motion.

H0NEYWEST
12-18-2005, 09:26 PM
I think the sticky needs to stay. I found it fascinating to read, both as a testament to the good in people and as a warning how con artists come in all shapes, sizes and ages. Also it appears he is still actively looking for "friends", so if someone were to do a search on his name, they would read the WS story.

Just my :twocents:

mjak
12-19-2005, 10:55 AM
I went through the gamut of emotions reading this thread today. First, I was so moved
by the generosity and kindness of the people at Websleuths. I too am big on helping others and immediatly wanted to help. Of course by the time I got to the end of the thread I gave up all thoughts of helping this man. I do not think he is a con man. I do believe he is likely mentally Ill and probably has senility issues as well. I think the one person here whos behavior I think could be considered irrisponsible and possiblity criminal is the reporter. We the consumer are led to believe when a reputable newspaper runs a story like this essentaily for the public to help a stranger that it is a legitamite cause. The reporter may disagree that what she did is ask the public for assitance, but I would disagree with that. By not throughly checking out this man she not only potentially put the public at risk but she also put him at risk and She most deffinilty exploted a needy sick man. It would not have been very difficult to ascertani this gentelman is mentally ill and running a story about his ad was inappropriate. This reporter elected not to do this and for that we all suffered. Shame on her!!! I hope she like the rest of us have learned from this experience.

mjak

reb
12-19-2005, 07:35 PM
mjak-- i wholeheartedly agree, i think the reporter was negligent and irresponsible. it sounded like a nice, tear-jerking, heart-tugging story that she could take credit for & better her career with... but didn't she think that a whole lot of people might actually try to get involved to help him? and possibly, as you say, be put at risk (although it their own choice)...?

it seems more and more that reporters don't investigate to make sure the facts are straight, it might get in the way of a good story.

that being said, it's still ultimately mr. sprouse who is responsible for his deceit, although it does seem to be muddled with a bit of dementia here...

mjak
12-19-2005, 09:28 PM
the saddest part of this whole story is that it reinforces the believe that we must be afraid to help others. I very much like helping others. I frequently help out senior citizens in my neighborhood by running errands and stuff. However, I do less and less of it as I become more and more afriad. when we have a big snow storm and I am finally able to get out I use to ask the seniors who live around me if they need anything. Now I am growing more and more hesitant and that saddens me.

mjak

Paradise
12-20-2005, 12:43 AM
What was there to investigate though? She's a reporter not a detective. I don't think we can blame this on the reporter. She's not a psychic...there's no way she could've predicted that he was going to start demanding things from people.

txsvicki
12-20-2005, 02:41 AM
I saw through the whole thing from the very first thread a couple years ago. So, he had a young woman living with him. Dennis definitely doesn't have very much dementia or home health wouldn't allow him to live on his own, and I imagine he had some co conspirators and help in posting the ad in the paper which was wanting only money not church type visits. I think the demand for cigarettes was an attempt to scare off certain people who would not give into to his demands or after he thought all the money safely possible was raised, they needed to be gotten rid of. I'd help my neighbors and family and only try to get strangers help from the many many social service agencies that are available. No sending of money or goods to anyone.

Challenger
12-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Sounds like the poor man has dementia. I have known several elderly people with that affliction. Mr Sprouse is on oxygen (?), that tells me he may have organic brain damage, as did some of the so afflicted I knew. I wouldn't be too hard on him. The demented that I knew had bad behavior indeed, swearing, abusive, demanding, get confused on reality, etc.

It's sad that everyone is so generous, and are alienated by his behavior. I know that when one is trying to help, we expect appropriate gratitude. When that is not forth-coming, we withdraw...

Perhaps the possible illness won't allow Mr. Sprouse to react appropriately.

Just a thought...

alpharee
01-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Dear Alpharee, I thank you for your posting. It would seem that Dennis Sprouse has hoodwinked us all. It seems he has had about 11,000 responses to his forum letter, been reached out to by churches, e mailers, and younger residents living with him, and is still a lonely man?
I am of his age, have a "sharp shooters and good conduct medal after three year in the far East with the Marine Corps. Not very impressive is it? Have been widowed twice to the killer cancer. I deeply miss both of these ladies but refuse to be a Sprouse type person because of it.
I, for one, am not lonely. Mr. Sprouse should get out and do voluntary service. He no longer will be lonely and be of some service to this wonderful country of ours.
My feelings are that "Webslueths" has kept him on only because it is the most responses they have ever receive from one forum entry.(Sticky it is time to give this up.)
What say Ye!
Puca: I have nothing to do with this being a sticky or being able to remove it. That's totally up to the Mods of this board.

beastofburden
02-07-2006, 03:36 PM
I am new here and this makes me cry! I'm off to write a letter or something for him. I think we can all relate to now having family close by and friends are hard to come by as you get older! WOW, just read the other articles and it's not true~that's even more sad!

Jeana (DP)
02-07-2006, 03:39 PM
I am new here and this makes me cry! I'm off to write a letter or something for him. I think we can all relate to now having family close by and friends are hard to come by as you get older! WOW, just read the other articles and it's not true~that's even more sad!

This thread is like two years old. I'm not sure what the guy's status is any more. :blowkiss:

Amraann
02-07-2006, 04:02 PM
I think if you read the entire thread you will see this wasn't as clear cut as the first few pages indicate.

I believe some found it to be something hinky.

poco
02-07-2006, 04:26 PM
I, for one, cannot believe this thread is even still around!!!!!!

Jeana (DP)
02-07-2006, 04:33 PM
I, for one, cannot believe this thread is even still around!!!!!!

Makes ya'll kinda feel like we've been around forever don't it! :D :D

tipper
02-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Apparently Dennis got divorced last June, 2005. Doesn't sound like it was a friendly one...

Arlene was the plaintiff

http://www.loraincountycpcourt.org/calendar/..%5Cnxhist.exe?casen=04DR064334

Feb 9, 2006 Lorain County, Elyria Ohio USA Page 1

10:02 pm Domestic Relations Division

Ron Nabakowski

Clerk of Court of Common Pleas

D O C K E T S H E E T for 04DR064334

ARLENE SPROUSE vs. DENNIS SPROUSE
[…]
11/30/04 ENTRY

THE MAGISTRATE TEMPORARILY ORDERS THE PLTF TO HAVE USE OF THE 1992 CHEVY CAVALIER. MUTUAL RESTRAINING ORDERS ARE IN EFFECT. SEE JOURNAL. (MAGISTRATE ORDER) (JSG)
CC: ATTY ZALESKI

VOLUME # 408 PAGE # 4603
[…]

alpharee
02-11-2006, 08:57 PM
and he said she died...I can't believe the news article wasn't researched by the writer prior to being published. It even stated wife died if I remember correctly.

Seems he posted the ad in paper in January 04 and they filed for divorce in Nov. 04. So I'm assuming they were seperated during the time he put this ad in the paper.

alpharee
02-11-2006, 09:04 PM
really can't think much about the restraining orders. They are a common practice in a divorce here. (I work at law firm in this area)