PDA

View Full Version : Vermont; Northeast Kingdom Teen Held In Killing

dark_shadows
01-28-2007, 01:39 AM
Northeast Kingdom Teen Held In Killing (http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=5999063)

Sutton teen in custody after late-night homicide in Northeast Kingdom
(http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070127/NEWS/70127003)

Vermont State Police received a 911 call at approximately 12:30 a.m. today from 144 Freedom Road in Sutton, reporting a shooting within the home. Uniformed troopers and rescue crews responded to the residence, where the victim -- Jacob A. McDowell, 24, of Sheffield -- was pronounced dead of a gunshot wound to the
torso.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Peter Hamilton
01-28-2007, 02:43 AM
Sorry to see crime there up in Sutton--The Northeast Kingdom of Vermont has the most beautiful Fall colors in the world--Rt. 114, Island Pond,St. Johnsbury area--In 2003 we were stunned at the intense reds, oranges,and other varying colors--some trees semed to be glowing---nice rural area

LionRun
01-28-2007, 03:12 AM
Sorry to see crime there up in Sutton--The Northeast Kingdom of Vermont has the most beautiful Fall colors in the world--Rt. 114, Island Pond,St. Johnsbury area--In 2003 we were stunned at the intense reds, oranges,and other varying colors--some trees semed to be glowing---nice rural area
I went to Vermont as a young child years ago with my family. And, I still remember the stunningly beautiful trees with their gorgeous colors laying over beautiful hills. Later I went to Killington, Vermont to ski. It is a beautiful State.

Thank you for posting dark shadows. It used to be that even hearing about such a young person committing murder was a shock. It doesn't seem so anymore. This is just terrible. A 24 year old man is gone, and he was killed by a 15 year old by. Although, it is absolutely no excuse, I would like to know what the dispute was that may have led to the young man's murder.

Lion

dark_shadows
01-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Sorry to see crime there up in Sutton--The Northeast Kingdom of Vermont has the most beautiful Fall colors in the world--Rt. 114, Island Pond,St. Johnsbury area--In 2003 we were stunned at the intense reds, oranges,and other varying colors--some trees semed to be glowing---nice rural areaDear Peter Hamilton,:)
Thank you very much for your post.
This is horrible for us and also a friend of mine who lives in Sutton. He is a well known actor who moved here many years ago.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

dark_shadows
01-28-2007, 04:24 AM
I went to Vermont as a young child years ago with my family. And, I still remember the stunningly beautiful trees with their gorgeous colors laying over beautiful hills. Later I went to Killington, Vermont to ski. It is a beautiful State.

Thank you for posting dark shadows. It used to be that even hearing about such a young person committing murder was a shock. It doesn't seem so anymore. This is just terrible. A 24 year old man is gone, and he was killed by a 15 year old by. Although, it is absolutely no excuse, I would like to know what the dispute was that may have led to the young man's murder.

LionHello my dear friend Lion,:blowkiss:
I am happy that you had the chance to see our beautiful state. How did you feel about skiing here? I am full of :o to say that I do not ski!!! I do not have the time to anyway. My friends in Jersey rib me about that all of the time. They come here to vacation and spend an arm and a leg to ski here when I can do it for free in my backyard and at a discount anywhere in the state for being a state employee! Blah, I cannot stand the cold much less trying to maneuver around the trees without getting whacked.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Alice253
01-28-2007, 08:16 AM
I wonder - is it possible the two are brothers?

BTW, I'm with you DS, about skiing. I tried it a few times years ago, and decided (1) it was too cold for my liking, and (2) I didn't want to die that way - LOL. Obviously, I wasn't very good at it.

LionRun
01-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Hello my dear friend Lion,:blowkiss:
I am happy that you had the chance to see our beautiful state. How did you feel about skiing here? I am full of :o to say that I do not ski!!! I do not have the time to anyway. My friends in Jersey rib me about that all of the time. They come here to vacation and spend an arm and a leg to ski here when I can do it for free in my backyard and at a discount anywhere in the state for being a state employee! Blah, I cannot stand the cold much less trying to maneuver around the trees without getting whacked.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070127/NEWS/70127003

[QUOTE] A 15-year-old boy is in custody after police said he shot and killed a man last night the Northeast Kingdom town of Sutton.

Vermont State Police received a 911 call at approximately 12:30 a.m. today from 144 Freedom Road in Sutton, reporting a shooting within the home. Uniformed troopers and rescue crews responded to the residence, where the victim -- Jacob A. McDowell, 24, of Sheffield -- was pronounced dead of a gunshot wound to the
torso.

A 15-year-old male, who police have not identified, was taken into custody without incident and is being charged with murder. Bail was set at $50,000 by the Judge M.Kathleen Manley.

Preliminary investigation determined that prior to the shooting,
the victim and the accused were engaged in a dispute within the residence.[QUOTE]

Alice, that is a good question. I wonder if they may have been related. The article states that they had a dispute inside the home where Jacob was killed. So, it seems they were not strangers. In any event, I wonder what their relationship was.

OT: Dark shadows, I went skiing for the first time in my life in Killington. I had no idea what I was doing. I had never skied before. It is a good story. If ever there is a thread I could post it on I will. We had a fantastic time. In fact, it was one of the best weekends of my life.

You have friends in New Jersey? I live in the lonestar state now; but, I am originally from New York and New Jersey.

Best to you:),

Lion

dark_shadows
01-30-2007, 02:22 AM
I wonder - is it possible the two are brothers?

BTW, I'm with you DS, about skiing. I tried it a few times years ago, and decided (1) it was too cold for my liking, and (2) I didn't want to die that way - LOL. Obviously, I wasn't very good at it.Hello Alice,:)
It is very nice to see you. They were not brothers, the 24 year-old that he killed, was the accused teen's mother's boyfriend.
Part of the news script;

2} MURDER2_PKG 15 year old Jonas Dixon of Sutton Vermont walked into court for his arraignment showing little emotion. He is accused of the 2nd degree murder of his mother's boyfriend-- 24-year-old Jacob McDowell.

More at this link;
link (http://tv3.wcax.com/n/mon6p.htm)

More from link;
He was arraigned today as an adult but it will be up to a judge to decide if the case will be tried in district court, or moved to juvenile court.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

mfmangel1
01-30-2007, 03:33 AM
So....The 15 year old calls the police to say the victim, the mother's 24 year old boyfriend, is having sex with the mother and he doesn't like it.

Then he shoots the boyfriend.

What's wrong with this picture? :waitasec:

dark_shadows
01-30-2007, 03:03 PM
link (http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070130/NEWS01/701300306/1009&theme=)ST. JOHNSBURY -- A 15-year-old boy accused of killing his mother's boyfriend told a police dispatcher he shot the man in a struggle as the victim tried to disarm him, according to a police affidavit released Monday.

"I can't believe I pulled the trigger," Jonas Dixon said, according to the affidavit.

Dixon, of Sutton, pleaded not guilty Monday to second-degree murder in the death of Jacob McDowell, 24, of Sheffield. Charged as an adult, he was being held on $100,000 bail Monday.

Dixon showed little emotion in the court room filled with friends and family of his and the victim.

McDowell was killed Saturday during a confrontation in the trailer Dixon shared with his mother, Julie Dixon, 37.

Dixon shot McDowell once in the chest with a shotgun after telling him to leave the mobile home, Detective Sgt. Robert Cushing wrote in the affidavit. Dixon said McDowell lunged toward him and tried to grab the gun, according to the affidavit.

"I was so scared, I can't believe I did it," Dixon ....
More at link.

There is more to this story.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

SewingDeb
01-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Can you tell us more, dark_shadows?

dark_shadows
01-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Can you tell us more, dark_shadows?Dear Sewingdeb,
The only thing that I can say is that he is in the facility that I work at and that is an adult facility.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Dalilah
01-30-2007, 03:49 PM
How....strange. I can only imagine what was going on in that household and it isn't all good.

Dark_Shadows: In my daydreams, I live on a beautiful farm in Vermont with pygmy goats and my dogs run freely on my massive plot of land. :o However, I have never actually been to Vermont. But, what I have seen and heard of it creates such a gorgeous picture in my mind.

dark_shadows
01-30-2007, 03:56 PM
How....strange. I can only imagine what was going on in that household and it isn't all good.

Dark_Shadows: In my daydreams, I live on a beautiful farm in Vermont with pygmy goats and my dogs run freely on my massive plot of land. :o However, I have never actually been to Vermont. But, what I have seen and heard of it creates such a gorgeous picture in my mind.Dear Dalilah,:)

Nice to hear from you. I cannot believe that you said that about the pygmy goats! I saw some at my friend's house and I thought that they are just soooo cute!!!

Thanks for the post and I hope that you keep track of this story.

Also, his father died in a car accident in Aug of 2004. Jonas's father served in both the Wyoming and Vermont Army National Guard. He moved from Wyoming back to Vermont (he was born in St. Albans, Vermont).

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Liz
01-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Hi dark_shadows! :blowkiss:

Thanks for sharing this story with us. There must be a lot more to this story that we are not privy to. Is it customary to place a 15 year old in an adult prison population? That seems highly unusual!

I don't understand what is with all these youth commiting murders these days! Just this past week a 16 year old (allegedly) murdered his mother in Boise. Last month Bryan Kim (allegedly) murdered both his parents in Mt Spokane. What in the heck is going on? :confused:

dark_shadows
01-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Hi dark_shadows! :blowkiss:

Thanks for sharing this story with us. There must be a lot more to this story that we are not privy to. Is it customary to place a 15 year old in an adult prison population? That seems highly unusual!

I don't understand what is with all these youth commiting murders these days! Just this past week a 16 year old (allegedly) murdered his mother in Boise. Last month Bryan Kim (allegedly) murdered both his parents in Mt Spokane. What in the heck is going on? :confused:Dear Liz,:blowkiss:
I always love your posts.
Yes, there is more to this story. It is not what it appears.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

concernedperson
01-30-2007, 08:25 PM
link (http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070130/NEWS01/701300306/1009&theme=)ST. JOHNSBURY -- A 15-year-old boy accused of killing his mother's boyfriend told a police dispatcher he shot the man in a struggle as the victim tried to disarm him, according to a police affidavit released Monday.

"I can't believe I pulled the trigger," Jonas Dixon said, according to the affidavit.

Dixon, of Sutton, pleaded not guilty Monday to second-degree murder in the death of Jacob McDowell, 24, of Sheffield. Charged as an adult, he was being held on $100,000 bail Monday.

Dixon showed little emotion in the court room filled with friends and family of his and the victim.

McDowell was killed Saturday during a confrontation in the trailer Dixon shared with his mother, Julie Dixon, 37.

Dixon shot McDowell once in the chest with a shotgun after telling him to leave the mobile home, Detective Sgt. Robert Cushing wrote in the affidavit. Dixon said McDowell lunged toward him and tried to grab the gun, according to the affidavit.

"I was so scared, I can't believe I did it," Dixon ....
More at link.

There is more to this story.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

It sounds like a teen not fully apprised of his emotions. He saw his mother in bed with a young man and the young man was trying to disarm him, nullify him. Not what a teen wants to see or be a part of as I am sure he felt like the man of the household since his father passed away. Regardless, he will pay deep consequences for his actions.

What I don't understand is why he is in an adult facility. He is obviously underage.

Has the 24 year old taunted him in the past? Did his mother taunt him? Or the manifestations something he conjured up or is there a reality to what occurred? This seems to be a many shade of grey type case but in any event the child needs counseling.

dark_shadows
10-31-2007, 11:58 AM
http://www.caledonianrecord.com/pages/top_news/story/663011a46

Jonas is going to be tried in an adult court.
Jonas's father had died just prior to this incident. He was killed in a very bad car accident. Jonas was very close to his father. If I remember correctly, the gun used was a hunting gun that his father had given him when they went hunting together.

I do not feel that Jonas should be tried as an adult. There was alot going on in his home life that should be a factor.

I want to say more about this, but I will not. :silenced:

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Lurker
10-31-2007, 12:07 PM
The mother is 37 and her boyfriend is 24? That's quite a jump in age there. How long ago did his father die? There's definitely more to this story

lymom3
10-31-2007, 12:10 PM
I've had a saying for a long time and I don't know where I even picked it up but if everyone lived by this we'd have a lot less tragedy here. Nothing good ever happens after midnight is what I've always told my kids. I agree there is more to come on this story.

Lurker
10-31-2007, 12:13 PM
I've had a saying for a long time and I don't know where I even picked it up but if everyone lived by this we'd have a lot less tragedy here. Nothing good ever happens after midnight is what I've always told my kids. I agree there is more to come on this story.

My Dad had a similar saying but his was "What can you do after midnight that you can't do before"

GlitchWizard
10-31-2007, 12:43 PM
My Dad had a similar saying but his was "What can you do after midnight that you can't do before"

Yep. My Grandpa used to say "Nothing that goes on after eleven is anything you should be doing, anyway."

After spending a night in the hallway of an emergency room - I tend to believe they are ALL right!

dark_shadows
10-31-2007, 12:48 PM
The mother is 37 and her boyfriend is 24? That's quite a jump in age there. How long ago did his father die? There's definitely more to this story
To my very dearest Lurker,:blowkiss:
You are right, there is alot more to this story.
Here is a little something for you;
http://www.caledonianrecord.com/pages/local_news/story/fb7833730

McDowell was at the Dixon home visiting Julie Dixon, Jonas' mother, during a time when Julie Dixon was suffering from bipolar disorder and, according to the defense's expert witness, was psychotic.

Jonas Dixon allegedly aimed a 12-gauge shotgun at McDowell in an attempt to make him leave the residence. He was angry with McDowell, believing McDowell was exploiting his mother's mental instability in order to have sex with her. Dixon claims McDowell grabbed the shotgun in an attempt to get it away from Dixon and, afraid McDowell could wrestle the gun away and use it on Dixon, Dixon clicked off the shotgun's safety and shot McDowell in the chest, killing him.

Defense Expert Testifies

Dr. Philip Kinsler, a psychologist, testified as an expert witness in support of the defense's motion to transfer the case to juvenile court.
End of quoted article.

Jonas was protecting his mother.

All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

Lurker
10-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks DS!

Sounds like this poor kid was trying to protect his mother. I can't beleive nothing was done before, he tried to get help! How sad!

dark_shadows
10-31-2007, 01:03 PM
More from the link;
Kinsler first interviewed Dixon on Feb. 1 while Dixon was held in custody at the Woodside Juvenile Detention Center in Colchester. He subsequently interviewed Dixon twice more in February. Kinsler said Dixon was "a broken child, extremely distraught." Dixon described his mother's mental problems, telling Kinsler, "she's crazy, she's bipolar, she doesn't take her medicine." As Kinsler recounted Jonas Dixon's experiences with his mother during January, 2007, Kinsler told defense attorney Kerry DeWolfe that Julie Dixon was so delusional she believed there were people living underneath her house trailer and delivered a Christmas card to the people whom she believed lived under the floor of the trailer.

Kinsler described Dixon's efforts to get help for himself and his sister and the young man's efforts to try and get help for his mother. "He turned to every place we tell kids to turn to, " Kinsler said. Dixon, his younger sister and his grandparents sought help from the schools, the state police, Northeastern Vermont Regional Hospital in St. Johnsbury and the Vermont Department of Children and Families.

After Julie Dixon had a violent outburst, the Sutton school, concerned about Julie Dixon's mental state, locked down the school and asked the state police to patrol. The Sutton school principal contacted DCF who reported they could not continue an investigation until the following week. In the mean time, Jonas and his sister were told they must return to their chaotic home, according to earlier testimony from Dixon's grandmother, Norma Degreenia of St. Johnsbury. Summarizing the weeks before the shooting, Kinsler said Dixon felt abandoned and left alone by all the agencies and felt, "lost, isolated, alone and absolutely helpless." Kinsler said he was "horrified" that no one at DCF would apply for an emergency detention order for Julie Dixon, adding, "They [DCF] left him at home alone with a psychotic, drunk mother." He added, "They [DCF] had all of Thursday and all of Friday and yet they decided to do nothing until Monday."
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

dark_shadows
10-31-2007, 08:39 PM

Dearest Lurker,:blowkiss:
Jonas was asleep in his room before the incident occured. The reason why Jonas was awake at the time is because he was awaken by the loud noise of his mother and the 24-year-old having sex. Like it was said before, there is alot to this story.

dark_shadows

dark_shadows
10-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Dearest Lymom,:blowkiss:
Thank-you for your post. I appreciate it.

dark_shadows

MeoW333
10-31-2007, 09:03 PM
I really hope this boy just gets probation and therapy. I think that locking him up will just damage him more at this point. Right now he still has a chance to make it, provided a support system is in place for him. I feel bad for him and his family..

dark_shadows
10-31-2007, 10:00 PM
I really hope this boy just gets probation and therapy. I think that locking him up will just damage him more at this point. Right now he still has a chance to make it, provided a support system is in place for him. I feel bad for him and his family..

To my dearest MeoW,:blowkiss:
Very nice to see you.
I have so much compassion for Jonas, his grandmother and his sister. All of them asked for help, nothing was done to help and Jonas.

Thank-you very much for your post.

dark_shadows

Salem
10-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Any word yet on whether the case was transferred back to the juvenile court?

My prayers to Jonas and his family. Such a struggle to be a child of a one parent family and then to have that parent be such a challenge..... Jonas must have felt so responsible for keeping things together when his mother could not.

I hope the psychitrist carries some weight and they handle this situation through counseling and probation.

Salem

teedie2
10-31-2007, 11:22 PM
What a sad story! Where is the mother now? More importantly, where is the sister?

Government agencies can be so heartless sometimes. Maybe the employees get tired, want to do their 8 hours, and go home. So, it's not the agencies that are heartless, it's the people who work there, for whatever reason.

I hope this poor boy gets help, and not just punishment. Well, I hope the mother gets help, too.

This is disgusting. It shouldn't have happened. It shouldn't have had to happen.

dark_shadows
10-31-2007, 11:40 PM
What a sad story! Where is the mother now? More importantly, where is the sister?

Government agencies can be so heartless sometimes. Maybe the employees get tired, want to do their 8 hours, and go home. So, it's not the agencies that are heartless, it's the people who work there, for whatever reason.

I hope this poor boy gets help, and not just punishment. Well, I hope the mother gets help, too.

This is disgusting. It shouldn't have happened. It shouldn't have had to happen.

Dearest Teedie,:blowkiss:
Thank-you so very much for your words.
His mother told police that her son shot her boyfriend! That was in the paper when it first happened.
Many agencies failed Jonas and his sister. I am not sure where his sister is.

Much Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

teedie2
10-31-2007, 11:59 PM
Thank you, dark_shadows. I am always impressed with your responses to posters, and your kind words. :)

You work for a government agency, but it is obvious that you never short-change people on your job. I wish more folks had your work ethics.

dark_shadows
11-01-2007, 12:21 AM
Thank you, dark_shadows. I am always impressed with your responses to posters, and your kind words. :)

You work for a government agency, but it is obvious that you never short-change people on your job. I wish more folks had your work ethics.
To my very dearest Teddie,:blowkiss:
You are so sweet, thank-you.

I was a Correctional Officer for well over a decade.
I recently retired from that job a few months ago.

dark_shadows

teedie2
11-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Retired?? :eek: Well, it's their loss, to be sure.

Dang it, you just bring out the "nice" in me, lolol!

And for that, I thank you again, dark_shadows. :)

dark_shadows
11-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Retired?? :eek: Well, it's their loss, to be sure.

Dang it, you just bring out the "nice" in me, lolol!

And for that, I thank you again, dark_shadows. :)
To my very dearest Teedie,:blowkiss:
You truly made my day Teedie.
I am honored by the words of your heart to me.

dark_shadows

MeoW333
11-02-2007, 12:25 PM
To my dearest MeoW,:blowkiss:
Very nice to see you.
I have so much compassion for Jonas, his grandmother and his sister. All of them asked for help, nothing was done to help and Jonas.

Thank-you very much for your post.

dark_shadows

Hi Dark Shadows =)
Jonas was a victim of the system. Had it not been for a broken system that didn't help him, this whole incident never would have occurred. So i couldn't find him guilty due to the circumstances; i hope the judge feels the same.

dark_shadows
11-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Hi Dark Shadows =)
Jonas was a victim of the system. Had it not been for a broken system that didn't help him, this whole incident never would have occurred. So i couldn't find him guilty due to the circumstances; i hope the judge feels the same.
To dearest MeoW,:blowkiss:
I want to thank-you for the words of your heart.
I hope that the judge feels the same as you. Jonas should never have been placed in the position.

dark_shadows