PDA

View Full Version : My Meeting with the Jostens (Class Ring) Guy

MrsG728
04-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Sorry, guys! This needed its own thread!
:woohoo:
I got SO much information I can hardly contain myself. And I bet Lion's puppies are poppin out any time now! double woohoo!

So I introduce myself to Jerry, our Jostens rep and tell him all about our "investigation" into PB.

I asked him to see samples of rings from 1975 (compared to today's) and he showed me 2 rings that would have been the choices. Basically, the ring we see on PB for ladies and a larger one that looks the same for men. We discussed metals, sizing up/down, and how one would know that it had been sized up or down either way.

Then, I asked to try on rings.

My middle finger was a size 9.5!!!!!!! (Pointer was a 10)

YUP- he said that class rings run BIGGER. They are a denser ring that have extra girth (between the stone and band) and width. He said that you typically take 2 sizes up from your true ring size, like a wedding band for example. :eek:

I think this is major. PB COULD have been 5'2" and about 175. I am 5'2" about 183ish and honestly, I don't think 10 pounds is going to be that big a difference in a ring seriously, PLUS this was an estimate.

After talking to Jerry for a good half hour, he let me in on a secret: sometimes the schools keep records of their transactions with rings. He told me to contact the school and see if they may have archives somewhere. I knoooooooow this is a longshot, but I have to try.

MG

docwho3
04-27-2007, 01:21 AM
Very cool. Thanks for the update. :)

Jaded
04-27-2007, 01:43 AM
Great info!!!

richandfamous
04-27-2007, 02:14 AM
OMG, do you mean they can actually have a specific record of the ring PB was wearing? Or maybe they have some qualifying info that would narrow it down??? This is maybe the break we need! Good work MrsG...you da bomb!

richandfamous
04-27-2007, 02:15 AM
ot: is jole' poppin' now????

MrsG728
04-27-2007, 05:11 AM
SO exciting, I know!
He said some schools have archives of their dealings with vendors and keep them on file in the business office. I am going to call this morning!

MG

Jaded
04-27-2007, 05:20 AM
Please keep us updated. I'm going to be hitting the hay soon -- should be up and about around noon. I'll check back and hopefully I'll come back to some good news!!

legendofcroft
04-29-2007, 04:44 AM
awesome!

LisainWV
04-29-2007, 09:40 AM
I have wondered if there are any club symbols on this ring? I graduated in 87 and the trend had somewhat passed, but they used to put different club symbols on each side of the stone for the drama club, sports, whatever a student was involved in.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but there seems to be a dozen threads about this girl floating around....

sloane
05-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I have wondered if there are any club symbols on this ring? I graduated in 87 and the trend had somewhat passed, but they used to put different club symbols on each side of the stone for the drama club, sports, whatever a student was involved in.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but there seems to be a dozen threads about this girl floating around....
You're right, LisainWV, there is a LOT going around about this case. But, yes, the rest of the ring's details have been looked into, and no there were no initials inside the ring, nor were there any club ingignia on the sides. Both sides were just school logo, mascot-type stuff. (Darn!)

sloane
05-05-2007, 12:24 PM
:doh: I don't know why that didn't occur to me sooner! THANK YOU, MrsG, for asking all those questions of him. Now I do remebr. that the wider the ring, the larger the size one needs. (Both the width of the top side and/or the shank). So you saying that the Josten's guy said one might order two sizes up from what they usually wear, makes sense!

So...this means that perhaps P. Blue did wear it on her reg. ring finger. A finger that would normally "only" be a size 7 1/2. So just one more verification that her weight was prob. not "heavy" just bec. she had a ring sized 9 1/2!!! Thank you!

OT: I found it interesting that at the school that you teach, the kids order their class rings as sophomores...:waitasec: