PDA

View Full Version : Found Deceased OH - Rev. Mary Ellen Walters, 68, & Ada Wasson, 80, Lebanon, 19 April 2007

mattsmom
04-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Ada Wasson, 80, and Mary Ellen Walters, 68, left April 19 in Mrs. Wasson’s silver 2000 Chevrolet Impala with Ohio license plate DG 30 LC. Neighbors remember the two talking about planning some outlet shopping in Columbus or Carrollton. Neither woman has a cell phone and Wasson easily becomes confused.

I'm not sure but I'm assuming that 80 year old Ada Wasson was driving since they were in her car.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070426/NEWS01/304260048

I've been following this for a couple of days and was just sure that they would turn up but they haven't so I'm creating a thread. Hopefully they are just lost and will be found soon. If they are lost and confused then every day they could be moving further away from home. :(

MidnightMyst
04-26-2007, 09:55 PM
From the article "She said her sister survived a serious illness that put her in the hospital for most of February, and has shown signs of confusion since then. She lost her way trying to drive to Carrollton on Tuesday last week, then on Wednesday could not find her way to Mariemont, her sister said."

Why in the heck would they let her drive again if this was the case? I sure hope they find these ladies.

reb
04-26-2007, 10:14 PM
agreed.. what the he!! is she doing DRIVING out there on the roads.. where she can be a danger not only to herself but to other innocent people!!? time for someone to take RESPONSIBILITY and step in and STOP this woman. she will be lucky if she and her friend are OK.

SewingDeb
04-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Central Ohio Methodists are being asked to mobilize in hopes of finding a retired minister and her friend who may have set out for Columbus on April 19.

The Rev. Mary Ellen Walters, 68, and Ada Wasson, 80, have been missing since they departed the Otterbein Retirement Living Community near Lebanon in southwestern Ohio.

An e-mail from the Ohio River Valley District of the Methodist church asked ministers yesterday to enlist members of their congregations who live and work along I-71 to help look for the women and their car.

The church is seeking volunteers to search side roads 5 to 10 miles east and west of I-71, said Cindi Dietrich, finance manager of the church district.

The women were thought to be traveling to a JC Penney outlet store, either in Columbus or Carrolton, Ky., authorities said.

The women were in a silver 2000 Chevrolet Impala with Ohio license plate DG30 LC.

The Warren County sheriff’s office has alerted police agencies in Ohio and Kentucky to be on the lookout for the women. There has been no activity on their credit cards.

"Nobody’s heard anything from them," Dietrich said. "We pray they are safe."

Anyone with information about the women is asked call the sheriff’s office at 513-925-2525.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/dispatch/content/local_news/stories/2007/04/27/method.html

Of course, there is no picture with the article. I assume other denominations are encourage to participate in looking for the two women.

mattsmom
04-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Here's the latest news article.

Still no sign of these two ladies.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070428/NEWS01/304280019

mattsmom
04-28-2007, 07:41 PM
This link contains pictures of the two.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070425/NEWS01/304250034/-1/all

reb
04-28-2007, 09:42 PM
so have they checked local waterways yet...?

mattsmom
04-28-2007, 10:28 PM
I haven't heard any mention of waterway searches. I hope they will but there are so many possibilities.

It's an 85 mile drive from their retirement community in Lebanon Ohio down to the outlet mall in Carrollton Kentucky where they were reportedly seen on 4/20/07. The main body of water in this area is the Ohio river which they needed to cross to get from Ohio to Kentucky. The river is also very close to Carrollton and it runs somewhat parallel to the last 20 miles of any route they would have taken to get there.

I'm sure there are also lakes and ponds between Lebanon and Carrollton.

And then there is the possibility that they didn't go to Carrollton at all (which would mean that the reported sightings are wrong). They may have headed north toward Columbus instead.

I keep thinking that this is Ohio not Oregon! Why can't they find these women!? But now that you've mentioned bodies of water I realize that there are so many places where it would be hard to find them.

LisainWV
04-29-2007, 09:36 AM
I haven't heard any mention of waterway searches. I hope they will but there are so many possibilities.

It's an 85 mile drive from their retirement community in Lebanon Ohio down to the outlet mall in Carrollton Kentucky where they were reportedly seen on 4/20/07. The main body of water in this area is the Ohio river which they needed to cross to get from Ohio to Kentucky. The river is also very close to Carrollton and it runs somewhat parallel to the last 20 miles of any route they would have taken to get there.

And then there is the possibility that they didn't go to Carrollton at all (which would mean that the reported sightings are wrong). They may have headed north toward Columbus instead.

I keep thinking that this is Ohio not Oregon! Why can't they find these women!? But now that you've mentioned bodies of water I realize that there are so many places where it would be hard to find them.

And, the possibilities become endless if they got off their route for whatever reason (maybe they are disoriented) and are nowhere near either destination at this point. Too bad the car is not On-Star equipped!!

SewingDeb
04-29-2007, 03:02 PM
MIssing women may have been spotted by outlet mall workers

On Saturday, Walters' brother and daughter were asked by authorities to review surveillance video from Vanity Fair, a store inside the Butler Outlet Mall which is located about one mile off of Interstate 71 in the city of Carrollton, Ky.

"We have some people working here at Vanity Fair who think maybe the women came in, but they're not for sure," said Carroll County Deputy Chief Jim Hamilton. "We haven't come up with anything yet. We've also checked all the hospitals, checked all of our roads and we've checked all the hotels. From what I've gathered, they had tried to do this trip a couple of weeks ago, but got lost and ended up going back home. Then they tried it again."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2007/04/28/ddn042807missingweb.html

SewingDeb
04-29-2007, 03:05 PM
www.neighborsearch.info

Sunday April 29 11 AM - In discussions yesterday we learned that a resident of Otterbein had been invited to join Ada and Mary Ellen on Thursday and she remembered they had indicated that they were headed to Carrollton, Kentucky. Posters were placed at the mall there and three clerks from different stores independently remembered seeing or speaking with Ada and Mary Ellen on or about last Friday. Believing this information was credible the family focused their search efforts in the greater Carrollton area on Saturday. We have also attempted to contact every United Methodist Church in the area. A volunteer, David Cain, coordinated an air search of the I-71/US 42 corridor between Cincinnati and slightly past Carrollton, Ky. While soft soil on the airstrip has grounded the fixed wing aircraft on Saturday, they plan to start today at 1:00. A helicopter search was conducted yesterday of the area.

-------

Areas already searched

http://www.neighborsearch.info/areas_already_searched.htm

reb
04-29-2007, 08:55 PM
i am also wondering if they just went off a ditch somewhere in the dark (or on a curve) ina remote area.. if they got lost before they'd probably get lost again.. or hit a deer or something... they could be on the side of the road or down an embankment at this very moment. OK wait a minute... they went missing 4/19........??? that's 10 days ago..... so are they just getting started with a search NOW.....?? geez.. not much hope.

Bobbisangel
04-29-2007, 08:58 PM
It looks like they were driving Mrs. Waters car as that is the car shown in the picture. She is the younger of the two. Did she have health problems?

I wonder why in the world they would drive 85 miles to go to a mall? That is a long way to drive to go shopping unless they were planning to stay overnight somewhere. They are pretty old to make a round trip in one day.

I hope they just got lost and no one has hurt them or that they didn't take a wrong turn and end up in some water somewhere. I wonder why they didn't have someone drive them or just shop closer to home?

MidnightMyst
04-29-2007, 09:32 PM
I would say it would have taken them a good hour 1/2 drive to get there. They probably planned to stop for breakfast or lunch? then go to the mall and come back and maybe stop for dinner. Would have been a long day for them but not so out of the ordinary.

CrimeHater
04-29-2007, 09:50 PM
I wonder if they have checked the status of their credit cards or banking info. To see if it has been used... by them or someone else, when the last time it was used, where the last place that they had made a purchase.

mattsmom
04-29-2007, 10:04 PM
I wonder if they have checked the status of their credit cards or banking info. To see if it has been used... by them or someone else, when the last time it was used, where the last place that they had made a purchase.

Their credit cards have not been used since the 18th. If they really did make it to the mall on the 20th then they didn't buy anything. I find that surprising.

Also, they left their retirement home on Thursday the 19th but the sightings of them at the Carrollton outlet mall were on the 20th. I find that hard to believe too because they would have had to have spent the night somewhere and that wasn't in their plans. So I'm just not convinced that they made it to the mall at all.

mattsmom
04-29-2007, 10:10 PM
It looks like they were driving Mrs. Waters car as that is the car shown in the picture. She is the younger of the two. Did she have health problems?

I wonder why in the world they would drive 85 miles to go to a mall? That is a long way to drive to go shopping unless they were planning to stay overnight somewhere. They are pretty old to make a round trip in one day.

I hope they just got lost and no one has hurt them or that they didn't take a wrong turn and end up in some water somewhere. I wonder why they didn't have someone drive them or just shop closer to home?

The articles I have read stated that it was Wasson's car not Waters - but that could be misinformation.

I think that they drove that far because they were going to an outlet mall. The sad thing is that there is two outlet malls about 1/2 hour drive north of where they live but they didn't go there.

I keep hoping that they just ran out of gas in a rural area and haven't been found yet. But after 10 days ...

kyresearcher
05-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Has anyone heard any more on these 2 elderly ladies? Seems odd that we are not hearing anything else on them. Please let us know if anyone hears anything. TIA

Bobbisangel
05-03-2007, 01:38 AM
They've been missing for 10 days without a word to anyone? No credit card usage or anything...this isn't sounding good at all. Where would they be for 10 days without spending any money? I wonder if they ran off the road somewhere and went down into a ditch or ravine or something and just haven't been spotted yet? If that was my mother I would drive the same route to that outlet mall and look on both sides of the road...especially any areas where a car might go down and not be seen from the road. I wonder if it is freeway all of the way? What is the area like...anyone know?

kyresearcher
05-04-2007, 01:21 AM
Bobbiesangel, ITA this isn't looking good. I have wondered the same thing, that they may have left the roadway and went over an enbankment. With the underbrush and trees it could be impossible to spot the car from the road. There was a lady in our county here in Ky. who left the roadway and traveled 150' off the road and could not be seen from the highway, she stayed in her car all night, drifting in and out of concinous until she finally was able to use her cell phone and called her mother in another co. and she in turn called 911. have also thought of a carjacking but if someone would do that I am sure they wouldn't care to use their credit cards, but no activity on them. I am so worried about these ladies, hope they are found soon, whatever the outcome is.

Bobbisangel
05-05-2007, 03:47 AM
I wonder if LE or anyone has traveled the road to the mall and checked the embankments? It seems to me that should have been done within the first day or two. We know these two little ladies didn't run away from home. They are in trouble somewhere and with them being the ages that they are it makes more sense to me that they lost control of their car and went off the road and down over the side. LE needs to send out search parties that can check the sides of the road to the mall and back or have a helicopter fly over the whole area and see if they can spot the car.

Taximom
05-05-2007, 03:51 AM
Aw, this is sad.

I just got my mom a new cell phone with a "location" feature which can help find her if she goes missing and has her cell phone with her (and on). After reading this article, I'm real thankful for that feature. I wish those ladies had something like that.

LisainWV
05-05-2007, 08:42 PM
At this point, I think the only logical explanation is that they have probably wrecked and the car is not in plain site (maybe over an embankment, sumerged in water...). I think it's highly unlikely that both are too disoriented to contact someone or ask for help.

Bobbisangel
05-06-2007, 02:38 AM
Aw, this is sad.

I just got my mom a new cell phone with a "location" feature which can help find her if she goes missing and has her cell phone with her (and on). After reading this article, I'm real thankful for that feature. I wish those ladies had something like that.

That was so sweet of you to do that for your mom. She is a lucky mom to have you for her daughter and I'm sure you are lucky to have her for a mom.
I had no idea that they made phones like that. All phones should have a location feature on them because anything can happen to anyone at anytime.
I'll bet that feature would have helped solve a lot of our missing persons cases when the people first disappeared if they had cell phones.

mattsmom
05-06-2007, 01:24 PM
The family hasn't given up the hope of finding them. They are still searching with the help of a donated pilot, airplane and fuel.

The trouble is they don't know what direction the women went in. The reported sighting of them at the outlet mall is now being questioned because they weren't in any surveillance videos.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070506/NEWS01/705060432

Gina_M
05-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Their credit cards have not been used since the 18th. If they really did make it to the mall on the 20th then they didn't buy anything. I find that surprising.

They could have used cash to make any purchases. Maybe they withdrew some cash before they left.

A couple of the articles mention that they preferred to drive scenic routes rather than the freeway, which is making the search more difficult.

Elphaba
05-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Finally, the mainstream media is getting more and more onboard... I just turned on my pc to find that my Verizon homepage has it as #2 on the top stories list. Hopefully this will mean more eyes are on the outlook. I hope these ladies are found soon.

Beyond Belief
05-06-2007, 07:10 PM
I don't get it. When elderly people go missing why doesn't authoroties react more quickly.

MidnightMyst
05-06-2007, 07:18 PM
There should have been some news by now :(

Taximom
05-07-2007, 12:30 AM
That was so sweet of you to do that for your mom. She is a lucky mom to have you for her daughter and I'm sure you are lucky to have her for a mom.
I had no idea that they made phones like that. All phones should have a location feature on them because anything can happen to anyone at anytime.
I'll bet that feature would have helped solve a lot of our missing persons cases when the people first disappeared if they had cell phones.

Aw, thanks, Bobbisangel. :blowkiss:

This feature was on the Virgin Mobile "Marbl" which was only about $40. I would hope that all makers include something like this on their phones.

I sure hope these two are ok, but I have to admit it's not looking good. :(

Bobbisangel
05-07-2007, 04:19 AM
I agree that it isn't looking good. I just wish that LE would check that highway and see if they didn't go over the side at some point. Maybe they have and just forgot to tell us..lol. I just don't understand these little ladies feeling the need to travel that far to go to a mall. Poor little things.

chicoliving
05-08-2007, 02:10 AM
LEBANON, Ohio — They're out there somewhere.

That's what authorities hope as they expand their search for Mary Ellen Walters, 68, and Ada Wasson, 80, two elderly women who vanished nearly three weeks ago after leaving their close-knit retirement community for a day of outlet-store shopping.

~snip~

"At first the phone lines buzzed, 'Have you heard anything? Have you heard anything?'" said the Rev. Ronald Payne, who succeeded Walters as pastor of the Milford Center United Methodist Church in northwest Ohio when she retired three years ago. "Now people are afraid the worst has happened."

Newsom said police are still making daily efforts, but soon will have to begin scaling back the search.

"We always want to be able to fix things for people," he said Friday. "We haven't been able to fix this."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270372,00.html

Bobbisangel
05-10-2007, 03:14 AM
I wish I knew if the road to and back to that mall have been throughly looked at. Nothing makes sense except that they probably went over the side of the road somewhere on the way to the mall or home from it.

Valiant
05-10-2007, 12:40 PM
But if they travel and avoid the interstate as stated in some of the articles, which of the many, many backroads do you assume they travel on? No one probably knows the exact route they would have driven.

kyresearcher
05-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Just checking in again tonight to see if there is any news on these ladies and see that there is nothing....Where are these ladies?

arielilane
05-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Am sure these ladies took the back roads as most elderly people I know in this area we are talking about do not like to drive the highway because of the trucks. They most likely (as most of the posters stated) have gone off an embankment, or something of that sort. I think they got lost and wrecked and sadly have not been found.

AlwaysShocked
05-12-2007, 05:51 PM
There certainly have been other cases where someone wrecked into a pond and they weren't found for some time. Months and years later.

jodierenee
05-12-2007, 09:14 PM
yeah...like ryan katcher...YEARS later.

Bobbisangel
05-13-2007, 02:47 AM
Just checking in again tonight to see if there is any news on these ladies and see that there is nothing....Where are these ladies?

Well it seems to me that either woman probably went to the mall with other people through the years. LE could find out who their friends are and ask them what roads the women take to get to the mall. Even the family members might know the route they always took. Sometimes mothers and daughters go to the mall together. It would be worth a try anyway.

mattsmom
05-15-2007, 10:14 PM
No news for so long. Where are they?!

j2mirish
05-15-2007, 10:16 PM
No news for so long. Where are they?!
I am so afraid they are off the road somewhere, that is desolate, and off the beaten path, as I had read, that is how they liked to travel- :(

Bobbisangel
05-17-2007, 04:11 AM
LE need to talk to family and friends to find out what route they take to the mall. Sounds pretty simple to me. My kids could tell LE which route I take to the mall. They know because they have gone with me numerous times. When we are older we tend to stick to certain habits such as how we get from one place to another while traveling.

sleuthin4fun
05-17-2007, 07:02 AM
LE need to talk to family and friends to find out what route they take to the mall. Sounds pretty simple to me. My kids could tell LE which route I take to the mall. They know because they have gone with me numerous times. When we are older we tend to stick to certain habits such as how we get from one place to another while traveling.

I believe that I read somewhere that they have done this. I think that they have even searched these routes several times.

Bobbisangel
05-18-2007, 03:33 AM
I believe that I read somewhere that they have done this. I think that they have even searched these routes several times.

I wonder if there are drop offs where it would be hard to see a car down them? I also wonder if there is any type of equipment that could focus in on a vehicle say if the equipment is used from the air. Maybe it would make a sound or something if it focused on metal.

Gina_M
05-25-2007, 03:50 AM
It's been more than a month since Ada Wasson and Mary Ellen Walters disappeared form their homes at Otterbein Retirement Living Community. Although countless volunteers are still scanning the sides of roads from Columbus to Kentucky, family members of both women said their hopes are dwindling.

http://www.oxfordpress.com/news/content/oh/story/news/local/2007/05/23/ws052407missingwomen.html

and

Family members said that on Saturday searchers will use a boat and sonar equipment to look for any signs of the women at Caesar Creek and scuba teams could be involved in the search.

http://www.whiotv.com/news/13386840/detail.html?rss=day&psp=news

chicoliving
05-25-2007, 04:39 AM
It's good to see they are searching.

SewingDeb
05-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm afraid they will be found in a river or wrecked somewhere off the road.

kyresearcher
05-26-2007, 01:10 AM

Mattsmom, you mentioned that they had to cross over the river to get from Ohio to Ky and would have had to travel about 20 miles before getting into Carrolton with the river running somewhat parallel with the route they may have taken. These ladies could have gotten lost and took a back road and it ran into a boat ramp. They could have gone into the river thinking this was a road for traveling and possibly didn't see the warning signs........Poor ladies, I think about them daily.

mattsmom
05-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Mattsmom, you mentioned that they had to cross over the river to get from Ohio to Ky and would have had to travel about 20 miles before getting into Carrolton with the river running somewhat parallel with the route they may have taken. These ladies could have gotten lost and took a back road and it ran into a boat ramp. They could have gone into the river thinking this was a road for traveling and possibly didn't see the warning signs........Poor ladies, I think about them daily.

There is a ferry boat that takes cars over the Ohio river. I haven't crossed that way but I imagine that a car could drive right into the water if there wasn't a boat docked. But that would be noticed during the day.

arielilane
05-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Search Continues For Missing Women

The search continued Saturday afternoon at Caesar Creek State Park for the two missing women from Warren County.
Ada Wasson, 80, and Mary Ellen Walters, 68, have been missing since early April.
Many crews have searched by air and land. On Saturday, they searched the water to try to find them.
The search crew had a digital underwater camera, just in case they needed to use it.
The search turned up no new information on the women.
http://www.whiotv.com/news/13396950/detail.html

Prayers for these ladies to be found soon.

englishleigh
05-27-2007, 09:54 AM
I was just in this area last fall visiting a friend, who lives outside of Cincinnati. Does anyone know if they have searched as far north as Dayton? I flew into Dayton b/c it was cheaper than Cinci, and my friend pointed out several outlet malls in that area, in between Dayton and where my friend lives...maybe they changed their plans once they were on the road and went north instead of south?

arielilane
05-28-2007, 03:35 PM
I was just in this area last fall visiting a friend, who lives outside of Cincinnati. Does anyone know if they have searched as far north as Dayton? I flew into Dayton b/c it was cheaper than Cinci, and my friend pointed out several outlet malls in that area, in between Dayton and where my friend lives...maybe they changed their plans once they were on the road and went north instead of south?I haven't heard if they searched the Dayton area. Honestly, there is not a lot written about this story which is sad. The closest outlet mall around the Dayton area is Prime Outlets which is just about 20+minutes from Ceasar Creek where they were searching over the weekend. There are many malls in Dayton & Cincy area, but not so many outlets.

Helper
06-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Police are checking out a list they found that the women had prepared, listing places they wanted to visit. Ms. Nixon's family is looking for volunteers to help search the area along I-71 from Mason to Warren County.

englishleigh
06-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Police are checking out a list they found that the women had prepared, listing places they wanted to visit. Ms. Nixon's family is looking for volunteers to help search the area along I-71 from Mason to Warren County.

Confused. My friend I visited last fall lives in Mason...isn't Mason IN Warren County?

arielilane
06-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Confused. My friend I visited last fall lives in Mason...isn't Mason IN Warren County?Yes, it is. Probably, a typo. There are other small cities within Warren County; example Maineville for one.

angelwngs
06-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Did anyone ever hear if these two women were found???

angelwngs
06-11-2007, 03:22 PM
http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=abf5e408-c8ea-4aa7-9c73-99cd7f6ffe02

6/1/07

The families of two women missing from a Warren County retirement home say they're not giving up.
The women left home to go shopping six weeks ago, and haven't been heard from since.
For the last few weeks, the families of Ada Wasson and Mary Ellen Walters have used planes, boats and helicopters to search from Carrollton, Kentucky in the south, to Columbus, Ohio in the north.
Their website lists six pages of searched locations. Now the families are focusing their search efforts closer to the women's homes, rather than farther away.

chicoliving
06-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Nixon is also considering searching in Mansfield, Ohio as well as Richmond, Indiana and Covington, all because of what was recently found.

Nixon told 9News, "We've recently come across a list of places that Mary Ellen and Ada had wanted to go to. We're not sure they were actually using that list before their disappearance, but it's something to follow up on.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=abf5e408-c8ea-4aa7-9c73-99cd7f6ffe02

I think its a good idea to go back to the beginning. Checking the list too is a good lead but it sounds as if its been fruitless so far. The car and the ladies have to be somewhere although not necessarily all together.

mattsmom
06-11-2007, 10:41 PM
I never imagined this would go on for so long. Hopefully an answer soon ...

kyresearcher
06-12-2007, 12:02 AM
This is unreal, my heart goes out to the families of the missing women. I know it has me upset and I don't even know them, I check daily to see if there is any news on them and am so worried about them.
Does anyone know if there has been an APB sent to other states on the car in case there was a carjacking. If there is anyone posting from Ohio please keep us posted if you hear any news...TIA

froggierintexas
06-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Here's a link to a list of ares already searched:

http://www.neighborsearch.info/areas_already_searched.htm

and the orginal link that I clicked on before that page:

http://www.neighborsearch.info/

kyresearcher
06-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Thanks Froggierintexas for the links you posted. Looks like there has been a thorough search for them, in Ohio and also in Ky but the problem is no one really knows what route they took or actually where they were going on the day they went missing.

Bobbisangel
06-12-2007, 03:36 AM
This is unreal, my heart goes out to the families of the missing women. I know it has me upset and I don't even know them, I check daily to see if there is any news on them and am so worried about them.
Does anyone know if there has been an APB sent to other states on the car in case there was a carjacking. If there is anyone posting from Ohio please keep us posted if you hear any news...TIA

I feel the same way about these ladies. I wonder if they were carjacked? I wonder if a bulleten was put out on them and their car when they first disappeared?

Doesn't any of the ladies families know what route they traveled to the mall? They didn't tell anyone where they were going...not even a neighbor or a family member on either side? I'm beginning to wonder if they will ever be found. So sad for the families.

kyresearcher
06-13-2007, 02:46 AM
I feel the same way about these ladies. I wonder if they were carjacked? I wonder if a bulleten was put out on them and their car when they first disappeared?

Doesn't any of the ladies families know what route they traveled to the mall? They didn't tell anyone where they were going...not even a neighbor or a family member on either side? I'm beginning to wonder if they will ever be found. So sad for the families.
Have you heard what the weather conditions were on the day they disappeared?

Bobbisangel
06-13-2007, 03:42 AM

I don't remember ever hearing what the weather was like. I just have the feeling that they drove off the road and the vehicle is in a position where it can't be seen from the road. Poor little things.

It also seems to me that someone in one of the families would know the route they used to drive to the mall and someone should know out of the two families exactly where they were going...to a mall or somewhere else. How could two woman their age decide to go shopping and not tell a soul where they were going? Just hard for me to believe.

kyresearcher
06-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Bobbiesangel, the reason I was asking about the weather, if it had been raining or was raining and the ladies took the back roads could they have gotten confused and turned off on a road that ran into a farm? It could have started as a gravel road and ran into dirt and they got stuck in someones corn field. Just a thought, but wonder if anyone has checked from an areial view of farm land close to the main roads. I know they have checked to see if they ran off the road, checked boat ramps but this could be why they have not been found.
I agree with you when you say someone in the family should have known where they were going and what route they would take. I never go out of town without telling my family where I am going, it is just not a good idea.

froggierintexas
06-13-2007, 10:32 PM
You know, I have a question. Once I believe shortly after they dissappeared, I was watching CNN. It was an interview and for the life of me, I cannot remember who was being interviewed or who the interviewer was, but they broke in with an announcement like they do on Nancy Grace. Something about two elderly women being killed in an auto accident in Canada.
Is it possible that these women went to Canada to buy prescription medicine and didn't make it back due to an accident? I know my grandma and her friends don't like to announce they are going on a prescription drug run to Mexico, they say they are going to shop in Mexico. They also don't use credit cards, they save a little here and there and take cash with them. The sock drawer savers is what I call 'em.

Anyway can they talk to the other friends of the ladies and see if maybe they ever went to get meds from Canada before or talk to someone in Canada to see about this accident?

I searched all night looking for something about the accident like show transcripts, but not knowing the show, I don't even know where to begin.

kyresearcher
06-13-2007, 11:27 PM
I would think if they have been involved in an accident the family would have been notified. Last night I looked on Doe Network for Unidentified remains found in other states but didn't find anything that matched them. Thinking along the line of carjacking-murder, hate to post this but it is not looking good and I suppose someone could have done it and took them to another state and disposed of them.
I hope we can continue posting and keep this in the news.

Nore
06-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Hi, I remember reading an article in the Plain Dealer right after these women disappeared.A member of the family was quite concerned because one woman has a dog whom the person said the woman would never go off and leave without someone to care for it. This doesn't look good.

kyresearcher
06-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Nore, did this person mean that the lady would not go anywhere, even running to the store, if someone wasn't caring for the dog or did she mean if she was gone for the whole day she would have someone to care for it?
I am wondering if they stopped to fill the car up with gas that day or if they had done it the day before.
Nore, do you know what the weather was the day they went missing?

arielilane
06-15-2007, 06:28 PM
I wonder how much the family members have been checked out and why there aren't flyers/photos of these missing women in the area(s)? Since they are searching many large areas. It's possible they won't be found until winter sets in when the leaves fall, the "green" is gone, etc..

angelwngs
07-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Still no word on these two elderly women???

This is just so sad it hurts...

It simply must be that they ran off the road into a deep gully or into a body of water and that the car is not visible from the road.

I so wish that they could be located...

kyresearcher
07-03-2007, 12:58 AM
Angelwngs, I totally agree that this is a real sad case, and it upsets me so much to come in and see there is no news about these ladies. I check daily for any news on them but will have to agree with Arielilane that they probably won't be found until the foliage is gone, if they went over an enbankment.

bluestarzz
07-05-2007, 09:19 PM
i agree, is a really sad case. i think of these ladies everyday, and they have dropped out of the normal news, so sad. i pray for their relatives to keep strengh.
bluestarzz

arielilane
07-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Article dated 5/5/07. No current news written for these ladies...still missing.... http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070505/NEWS01/705050394/-1/back01

Missing

Ada L. Wasson, 80, 5'2", 155 pounds, gray hair, hazel eyes.

Mary Ellen Walters, 68, 5'4", 220 pounds, brown eyes, gray and brown hair.

Silver 2000 Chevrolet Impala with Ohio license plate DG30LC.

To report tips, sightings or other information, call the Warren County Sheriff's Office at 513-695-1280.

To volunteer for continued search efforts, or to report areas already searched, call 513-696-8582.

To see areas that have already been searched, visit www.neighborsearch.info (http://www.neighborsearch.info/).

englishleigh
07-06-2007, 09:25 PM
This will end up being like that priest and his friend in CA/OR...I'm sure they are off the road and not visible, a car accident. So very sad. I wish they could find them.

Gina_M
07-10-2007, 08:41 PM

http://www.almanac.com/weatherhistory/index.php

http://weather.org/weatherorg_records_and_averages.htm

On these sites you can look up weather history by plugging in the zip code and date. I tried plugging in a few...it's hard to tell. There was a bit of rain (less than 0.1 inches), some wind and thunder at certain locations. Other locations seemed pretty calm. :waitasec: Wish we knew what happened to these ladies...

PrayersForMaura
07-15-2007, 08:37 PM
edited...

Opie
07-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Is there a link to the article about the woman found in PA?

PrayersForMaura
07-15-2007, 09:44 PM
sorry, opie. I had the wrong information! It was a woman in the UK.
:(

Opie
07-15-2007, 10:01 PM
No apology necessary. I just thought I was reading something wrong. That does happen too.

Pinkhammer
07-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Sorry to hear that these ladies are still missing.

Guess we'll have to wait 'til hunting season, when many accident victims are found down in the hollows and the woods.

arielilane
07-29-2007, 05:39 AM
Bumping thread...where are these ladies?

englishleigh
07-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Was thinking about these ladies yesterday as we were traveling down a rural road in Georgia, as I saw lots of places where a car could go off the road and not be seen. If these ladies did travel back roads in OH and KY, I'm sure it's the same, although I am baffled that these routes have been so thoroughly checked and nothing has been found. :banghead:

LisainWV
07-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Has it been mentioned, did either of these 2 ladies have a cell phone?

SeriouslySearching
07-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Good question! I haven't heard it mentioned either.

For LE to have covered all the places their car could have gone off the road in an accident, it would be impossible. Mahalia's car was within the city, a half block away from the normal route home, and it took 2 weeks to find those tracks. It doesn't suprise me they have not been found yet.

I have to agree, they will be found by a hiker, a hunter, or someone else who happens upon the vehicle. Very sad case for the families involved.

arielilane
08-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Has it been mentioned, did either of these 2 ladies have a cell phone?
I believe I have read they did not. It might have saved their lives.

It would be nice for phone companies to offer a discount price to the elderly.:twocents:

HollywoodBound
08-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Thing I was wondering:
Are they on the surveillance camera of the store they were going to?
Are they on any other cameras ATM etc?

The younger of the 2 should be able to get them home if the older woman became confused. Wonder if they stopped in any gas stations asking for directions.

SadieMae
08-04-2007, 08:42 PM
I keep checking this thread to see if they were found. Sad.

Gina_M
08-04-2007, 08:58 PM
I think the younger one had some medical problems and could not drive, that's why the older one was driving. There has been no ATM activity. IIRC they could not be seen on any surveillance cameras either.

A website was set up for them, and it lists the areas that were already searched.

Gina_M
08-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Walters' son-in-law, Brad Nixon, said neither woman had a cell phone. Walters would not be able to walk far for help, he said, because she has undergone two knee replacements.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/13216232/detail.html

MrsG728
08-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Re: Cell phones

I believe I have read they did not. It might have saved their lives.

It would be nice for phone companies to offer a discount price to the elderly.:twocents:

Good idea. I can't believe these two haven't been found yet. How sad for their families :(

MG

HollywoodBound
08-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Does anyone know how far their destination was from their home?
Sounds like they could have searched the sides of the roads by now. Maybe a car jacking?

arielilane
08-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Does anyone know how far their destination was from their home?
Sounds like they could have searched the sides of the roads by now. Maybe a car jacking?
I don't think anyone is sure their exact destination. It's not noted anywhere that I can find what outlet mall they were heading to. It's frustrating that not much is written about this story in the news. I really feel that these ladies will be found close to where they started out from that day. I have wondered if it was a carjacking, but no longer think that.

This story is so sad.

arielilane
08-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Prayers for a miracle.

Gina_M
08-16-2007, 10:48 PM
The news articles say that they were probably headed to a J.C. Penney Outlet in either Columbus Ohio or Carrollton Kentucky. I drove through the Ohio/Kentucky area this summer and there are a lot of hilly areas, bridges, the Ohio River, etc. With them taking back roads instead of the main highway, who knows where they could have ended up :(

arielilane
08-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Where are these ladies? Any news? We need a miracle...

LisainWV
08-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Are there any ongoing searches for them? I'm sure the families are still looking, but any official searches. With the drought conditions, it would be a good time to look at bodies of water....

arielilane
08-27-2007, 03:35 AM
Bumping thread for the ladies. Here's to hoping the families have contacted Tim Miller.

arielilane
09-03-2007, 02:14 PM
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1824402/posts

Why no news on these ladies?

http://i16.tinypic.com/2nki4v8

arielilane
09-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Still nothing? Prayers for these ladies and their families.

arielilane
09-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Bumping

Gina_M
09-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Friday, September 7th, 2007 - Nearly 10,000 miles have been searched in the hopes of finding Mary Ellen Walters and Ada Wasson. The family continues to search on most weekends but to date we do not have any new information. Your continued prayers are appreciated for the missing women and their families.

Scroll down on that page to read about how they are looking for volunteers in the area to help with the search.

Gina_M
09-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Five Month Mark Since Lebanon Women on Shopping Trip Vanished

Since their disappearance law enforcements and dozens of volunteers searched nearly 10,000 miles for the missing women...

They looked along the stretch of Interstate 71...rural roads leading down to Kentucky....and also parts of Southern Indiana.

http://www.local12.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=e2471dd6-a8ea-4ab7-93f6-c2d724448d81

Gina_M
09-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Why did they vanish?

After five months, Scott Walters, one of Mary Ellen’s three children, still drives out every Sunday after church and at least one afternoon during the week to look for his mother. Up one road, down another. He parks his green van and hops out to check the ditches that might conceal Ada’s silver 2000 Chevy Impala.

“We still just haven’t found anything at this point,” Scott Walters says.

He’s put more than 7,000 miles on the van. His siblings have ratcheted up their odometers, too.

They’ve driven countless rural roads and trudged through poison ivy and brush and marsh, hoping to discover the silver car in a deep ravine or catch a glimpse of it submerged in a pond.

Theirs is a tedious, blind search, stretching from Columbus to Carrollton, Ky., and into southeastern Indiana.

Long article, more at link:
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070921/NEWS01/309210079

kyresearcher
09-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Thinking of the families of both ladies, praying that God will give them the strength to carry on their searches. This is so sad.

Bobbisangel
09-25-2007, 05:12 AM
How sad for the families of these two women. It is like they just vanished off the face of the earth. It's amazing that the car hasn't been spotted yet. It must be way under some trees or brush where it is totally out of sight. I wonder if it could even be seen if it is way down at the bottom of water? Is there anything that can detect a vehicle in water if a person were in a helicopter flying over the water?

arielilane
09-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Why did they vanish?

After five months, Scott Walters, one of Mary Ellen’s three children, still drives out every Sunday after church and at least one afternoon during the week to look for his mother. Up one road, down another. He parks his green van and hops out to check the ditches that might conceal Ada’s silver 2000 Chevy Impala.

“We still just haven’t found anything at this point,” Scott Walters says.

He’s put more than 7,000 miles on the van. His siblings have ratcheted up their odometers, too.

They’ve driven countless rural roads and trudged through poison ivy and brush and marsh, hoping to discover the silver car in a deep ravine or catch a glimpse of it submerged in a pond.

Theirs is a tedious, blind search, stretching from Columbus to Carrollton, Ky., and into southeastern Indiana.

Long article, more at link:
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070921/NEWS01/309210079 Thank you Gina for posting this article. A must read...I hope to read soon they have been found.

arielilane
09-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Is there anything that can detect a vehicle in water if a person were in a helicopter flying over the water?
Excellent question.

lymom3
10-14-2007, 08:46 PM
I found this...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,301700,00.html

bnhall
10-14-2007, 09:01 PM
How sad! I wonder what happened. I'm assuming they were found in a wooded area on a farm?

kyresearcher
10-14-2007, 10:19 PM
So sorry to hear the news about these ladies but know now the family can get some closure. On 6-13-07 I posted this and it gives me goosebumps when I went back and read it:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 06-13-2007, 09:21 PM
kyresearcher (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/member.php?u=9833) http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_1531169", true);

Weather
Bobbiesangel, the reason I was asking about the weather, if it had been raining or was raining and the ladies took the back roads could they have gotten confused and turned off on a road that ran into a farm? It could have started as a gravel road and ran into dirt and they got stuck in someones corn field. Just a thought, but wonder if anyone has checked from an areial view of farm land close to the main roads. I know they have checked to see if they ran off the road, checked boat ramps but this could be why they have not been found.
I agree with you when you say someone in the family should have known where they were going and what route they would take. I never go out of town without telling my family where I am going, it is just not a good idea.

Sending prayers for the family, may God bless you all in your time of sorrow.

mattsmom
10-15-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm glad that there will be closure now. This was the expected outcome but it's still sad.

I think they may have been a bit south of most of the search areas.

kyresearcher
10-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Has anyone heard if they wrecked and ran off the road or had taken a back road and ended up on the farm? It was on Louisville,Ky new tonight about them being found but it didn't state if they had wrecked or not.

Gina_M
10-15-2007, 01:46 AM
A hunter found their vehicle at about 9:10 a.m. in a remote location on a farm, according to Kentucky State Police. Skeletal remains were found nearby.
The silver Chevrolet Impala was found off southbound I-71 about 17 miles south of Carrollton, near Campbellsburg, Ky., according to the Warren County Sheriff's Office. There was no sign of foul play, according to the Kentucky State Police.
Although the remains have not been positively identified, family members were notified Sunday.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2007/10/14/ddn101507missingwomen.html

Gina_M
10-15-2007, 01:52 AM
How sad. I wonder what happened...did the car break down or run out of gas, did they become disoriented and stop to try to get their bearings? It says skeletal remains were found "nearby", which I take to mean outside the vehicle. Wonder if they got out to try to go for help. I guess we may never know...

angelwngs
10-15-2007, 06:34 AM
I'm so thankful that these ladies were finally found and that their families can finally find closure.

SeriouslySearching
10-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Awwww, how very sad. Bless them and their families who have waited so long for news.

I simply can't imagine how they went undetected for so long! It seems like one of the two could have tried walking out to a farmhouse or a road tho.

Yes, a definite route would have been key to finding them and a cell phone should have been on board with them. I know a lot of older women who aren't savy with electronics, but have learned to use a cell.

Sometimes, our elders feel they are still independent (and should feel this way)...but we have to take extra precautions to keep them safe. I know I go rounds with my mother in order to do this! However, it is out of love and concern.

hoppyfrog
10-15-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm so glad these women have been found.

Has anyone else noticed how many of these types of cases there have been recently of people going off the road in a vehicle only to be found months or weeks later? There sure have been a lot, it seems.

Hoppy

mattsmom
10-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Has anyone heard if they wrecked and ran off the road or had taken a back road and ended up on the farm? It was on Louisville,Ky new tonight about them being found but it didn't state if they had wrecked or not.

This article says that their car was stuck in a wagon rut (I read dry creek bed somewhere else) down in a ravine. I wonder if they were injured. Even though this was a remote area I would think that if they weren't injured they could have walked back to the road or to civilization. Or maybe they decided to stay with the car and wait for help to arrive.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071015/NEWS01/310150006/1077/COL02

SadieMae
10-15-2007, 01:52 PM
My Mom is 74...I'm glad she has OnStar in her car. She drives around a lot on her own, I feel better knowing her car could be located if she's not heard from.

arielilane
10-15-2007, 05:09 PM
This is truly a sad ending. This tragedy could have been prevented.

:(

jantel74
10-15-2007, 05:11 PM
RIP Mary Ellen and Ada. I'm glad they've been found.

Gina_M
10-15-2007, 06:40 PM
This article says that their car was stuck in a wagon rut (I read dry creek bed somewhere else) down in a ravine. I wonder if they were injured. Even though this was a remote area I would think that if they weren't injured they could have walked back to the road or to civilization. Or maybe they decided to stay with the car and wait for help to arrive.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071015/NEWS01/310150006/1077/COL02

"The 2000 Chevrolet Impala car was in a farm field that had not been used for several years. The car was down a steep embankment and resting in a dry creek bed. There was no damage to the car but it was stuck in a small rut in the creek bed."

Sounds like the wagon rut was inside a creek bed. In a farm field that hadn't been used for several years...no wonder no one found them until now :(

biggirl
10-15-2007, 07:40 PM
All you can say is bless their souls! How very very sad.

MaryLiz
10-16-2007, 07:32 AM

Here's an article from my local paper that says they took the wrong exit. It seems they wanted exit 44 and took exit 34. It also says that the younger of the 2 ladies tried to walk back to the main road but couldn't make it. Very sad.

LEBANON — They were on a hunt for bargains, closing in on their outlet-mall destination.
They didn’t quite make it.
Instead, the two women from a retirement home community became subjects of a massive search by land and air, across parts of three states, that uncovered no signs of them for nearly six months.
It was all probably because of a simple driving mistake.
“I think they just missed their exit,” Maj. John Newsom of the Warren County sheriff’s department said Monday.
Mary Ellen Walters, 68, and Ada Wasson, 80, apparently tried to circle around but never got back on Interstate 71. Their car and remains were found in a hayfield in north-central Kentucky about eight miles from their destination, authorities said.
“They got off the interstate at Exit 34,” Newsom said.
They should have taken Exit 44.
The pair left their homes at the Otterbein Retirement Living Communities north of Cincinnati on April 19, Warren County officials said. Neighbors recounted them having talked earlier about going to a J.C. Penney outlet on Interstate 71, either in Columbus to the north, or in Carrollton, Ky., to the south.
Authorities know Wasson filled her car with gasoline the night of April 18. But in the weeks after the disappearance, there was no activity on the women’s credit or bank cards.
Police and volunteers searched thousands of square miles in a three-state area in the weeks after the women failed to return to their homes among about 800 residents of the not-for-profit community with ties to the United Methodist Church.
Investigators studied store videotapes, checked under bridges and passed out thousands of fliers. Police consulted with FBI experts and sent alerts across the nation.
Finally, a hunter early Sunday found the car and the women’s remains about eight miles south of Carrollton, in a location not visible from the road or air, Otterbein officials said.
Wasson was a widow with no children. Walters was a retired United Methodist minister and a mother of three. Her husband was in Florida with his ailing mother when she disappeared.
Autopsies were being done Monday, and the official identification will have to come from Kentucky state forensic anthropologist Emily Craig. But the sheriff’s office said there was little doubt what the result would be.
“It’s unlikely these two bodies are anybody else,” Newsom said.
Walters’ remains were next to the vehicle, and those of Wasson were about 600 feet away between the car and the interstate, Newsom said. He said it’s likely the women followed a dirt path from a paved highway into the field to turn around, but the vehicle went down an embankment and Wasson walked toward the interstate in an effort to get help.
“It would have been difficult for her, at her age, to make it there,” Newsom said. “She was trying. God love her, she was trying. But it just didn’t work out.”
Despite an extensive search in the area, the vehicle and the women’s bodies had not been found because of summertime foliage, and the field had not been used for at least a couple of years, Newsom said.
“Although this story hasn’t ended the way we wanted and had hoped, we are thankful there is an end to the mystery,” said Brad Nixon, Walters’ son-in-law.
He thanked everyone who had helped search for the women, and urged them to heed some of lessons the two families had learned.
“We can all learn something from this — to cherish our loved ones, and to think about them and be there for them when they have a time of need.” Nixon said.
“And don’t hesitate to stop in and check on you neighbors and your loved ones. That is something I think we can all take from this. Don’t forget to carry a cell phone. And, lastly, don’t forget to tell someone where you’re going.”
The last was particularly poignant, because the women apparently had no way of calling for help and had not made it clear where they were going.

Helper
11-20-2007, 05:06 PM
According to the Dayton Daily News, autopsy reports establish that the ladies died of prolonged exposure to the cold.

MagicRose99
11-20-2007, 06:15 PM
According to the Dayton Daily News, autopsy reports establish that the ladies died of prolonged exposure to the cold.

Here's the link: http://www.daytondailynews.com/search/content/gen/ap/OH_Retirees_Remains.html

arielilane
11-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Just so tragic...:(

summer_breeze
06-04-2011, 04:41 PM
http://www.amw.com/missing_persons/brief.cfm?id=45059

Last updated October 15, 2007

Hunters in Kentucky have made a sad discovery. Ada Wasson's car and her remains as well as the remains of her friend Mary Ellen Walters have been found. A day trip to outlet stores took a mysterious turn for the two elderly women from Ohio on April 19, 2007. Police were determined to find the friends and find answers for their respective families