PDA

View Full Version : Lisa Stebic-Plainfield, IL mother of 2

Pages : [1] 2

Mom2threestooges
05-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Sad to say that my first inclination is the estranged husband, but isn't everyone's these days?? I guess that's the easy answer, but who walks away from their two kids? Police aren't saying a whole lot just yet.

http://www.nbc5.com/family/13249013/detail.html?dl=headlineclick

PLAINFIELD, Ill. -- Plainfield police are searching for a 37-year-old mother (http://www.nbc5.com/family/13249013/detail.html?dl=headlineclick#) of two who is missing.

Lisa Stebic, 37, walked out of her suburban home on Monday evening and hasn't been seen since.

Married for 14 years, Lisa and her husband, Craig, are now going through a divorce.
Her car remains in the garage, and her cell phone (http://www.nbc5.com/family/13249013/detail.html?dl=headlineclick#) and credit cards haven't been used since Monday.

Craig Stebic said she would never just walk away from her kids.

"She's a good mom. I can't imagine her disappearing on her kids like that," he said.

A hot line has been set up for anyone with information. That number is 815-267-7217.

Sniffy38
05-03-2007, 12:04 PM
This sounds all too painfully familiar. Is there something in the drinking water these days? There seems to be an epidemic of this - "Here we go again".

Taximom
05-03-2007, 12:26 PM
She placed an ad to find someone in her city to walk with (link below)...note: females only AND she wanted to get her children involved in healthy activities. Doesn't sound like someone that would run off to me. :(

http://www.exercisefriends.com/view_profile.aspx?member_id=69274

As much as I already suspect the soon-to-be-divorced spouse, it's always possible she met up with a bad stranger. (Still betting on the spouse though.) :(

Bobbisangel
05-04-2007, 12:10 AM
I wonder who the last person was to see her? Who were the kids with when she left home and where did she say she was going? Someone must have answers to those questions. Is she just another wife that decided to WALK away from her kids without looking back...wanting to find herself and change her life...doesn't sound like it to me.

Is hubby a nervous wreck because he is afraid his world is going to come crashing down on his head? What were the problems in the marriage? Any previous domestic calls to 911?

Strange how many wifes were either in the middle of getting a divorce or had mentioned that they wanted to get a divorce have come up missing...vanished into thin air....leaving the children at home alone or with the hubby or soon-to-be ex-hubby. All of them walked away...didn't drive away and took no clothing with them or their phones...some without purses, etc. Some even left in their pj's when it was freezing outside! All of them have probably suffered the same fate by the very people who promised to love, honor, and cherish them.

Dena
05-04-2007, 02:18 PM
And the only reason I just heard this is because an e-mail with her picture just got filtered to my administrator mailbox. It seems some guys at my work know her. It was BCC'd though so I can't see who it was meant for and if they have any information.

I am not far at all from there, yet I have not heard anything on the news about this woman. I hope she is ok.

texasgirl
05-04-2007, 02:42 PM
She placed an ad to find someone in her city to walk with (link below)...note: females only AND she wanted to get her children involved in healthy activities. Doesn't sound like someone that would run off to me. :(

http://www.exercisefriends.com/view_profile.aspx?member_id=69274

As much as I already suspect the soon-to-be-divorced spouse, it's always possible she met up with a bad stranger. (Still betting on the spouse though.) :(

Or, did the husband post this ad so that there was another thing to look into other than him?

I always hate hearing these stories of women that just walk out of their house and never return. Meanwhile, the husband is telling everyone that he hasn't slept in 3 days....Hmmm...

Sounds fishy to me!

Lurker
05-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Wow you guys are quick! I just saw this on Fox.

I'm thinking the hubby. Kind of funny how they haven't spoken "more than 5 words in the past 5 months" yet her ad shows her as a married woman looking for women ONLY to join her in exercise?

Hmmm

Taximom
05-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Or, did the husband post this ad so that there was another thing to look into other than him?

I always hate hearing these stories of women that just walk out of their house and never return. Meanwhile, the husband is telling everyone that he hasn't slept in 3 days....Hmmm...

Sounds fishy to me!

That's a good point! Columbo I am not!

I personally thought it was weird that she used her complete name to place the ad. Surely with children, especially, she would use some sort of nickname on the internet?

Lurker, I didn't think it was too weird that she asked for "women only". To me that meant she didn't want to bother with any guys looking for a good time. Then again...you never know!

This is another mom that left her cell phone, wallet and kids behind, just like that. :cool:

I hope she's found alive and well. I'd like to know more about her husband etc too.

Lurker
05-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah I can see that too. It just sounded weird that he filed for divorce and she posts an ad saying she's married with 2 kids and is looking for women friends. It's TMI in my opinion. That could just be me though, I wouldn't put all that information out if looking for a workout partner.

Lurker
05-04-2007, 03:51 PM
I did a case search and it found a record for Craig Stebic, approximate age, 40 but it wants me to pay almost $40 for the info, without even knowing what it is.

Anyone know a better site to use? I went to http://www.courtregistry.org/index.php

Lurker
05-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Can anyone get this site to work? If so, is it them? When I click on the link, I get the dreaded 404 message.

The Stebic Family (http://www.migratorfishhunt.com/news/news.asp?ID=23)The Stebic Family, Craig, Lisa, Alexis, Zac, and Craig's dad, Joe enjoy a Family Outing aboard The Migrator. Fun was had by all! ...
www.migratorfishhunt.com/news/news.asp?ID=23 - 7k - Supplemental Result -

Mygirlsadie
05-04-2007, 04:20 PM
I got it to work there is a picture of all of them (if that is them I don't know) but there is a picture there.

Can anyone get this site to work? If so, is it them? When I click on the link, I get the dreaded 404 message.

The Stebic Family (http://www.migratorfishhunt.com/news/news.asp?ID=23)The Stebic Family, Craig, Lisa, Alexis, Zac, and Craig's dad, Joe enjoy a Family Outing aboard The Migrator. Fun was had by all! ...
www.migratorfishhunt.com/news/news.asp?ID=23 - 7k - Supplemental Result -

Betsy
05-04-2007, 05:24 PM
He was working in the backyard when she left the house, huh?

He wasn't laying cement, was he?

Weird feeling about this one, probably because I live close.

This being Laci's birthday, I'm going to follow this one. This woman needs some prayers, I have a feeling....

crash676
05-04-2007, 05:29 PM
I found the picture yesterday too. I do believe it is them . It is for a local charter comany here in Illinois not too far away from they live. This is scary considering I live about 10 miles south of them. I do not know her but I have friends who's children go the school she works at and they all say she is a very nice lady who seems really into her kids. Just hearsay don't know her or anyone who knows her inner secrets just what you see from the outside. I did fnd it weird though that she used her full name on all of the internet postings she did.

Sassygerl
05-04-2007, 06:33 PM
I believe it is them too...here are a few others to compare to...

http://www.nbc5.com/slideshow/family/13250522/detail.html

I'm very suspicious of the husband....just got in a car while he was out back planting flowers...yeah right!

Jaded
05-04-2007, 07:46 PM
It seems like every time that there is a case such as this, the hubby ends up being the culprit. Not going to jump to conclusions just yet, but it seems that history has a way of repeating itself in these types of cases. Whatever happened to getting a divorce?

Cubby
05-04-2007, 09:11 PM
I found a civil case in Cook Cty with both she and her stbx as defendents.

http://www.blackbookonline.info/bboil.htm Go to Cook and type in the last name.....

They are in Will County and nothing listed for Will Cty searches.

I'm about 40 minutes or so north of them........ Hadn't heard of this yet, although I haven't had the news on for the last 24 hours, which is a rarity. (pbs break)

While I too am leaning towards the stbx, especially since she left without a cell phone. Small chance on the excersize partner. However, there are quite a few forums for parents/playgroups etc. all over the Chicagoland area.... Particularly in more affluent areas. I wouldn't consider Plainfield an affluent area by any stretch, but it is an area that not too long ago was farmland and has had a tremendous amount of growth and new developement.

wicket
05-04-2007, 09:51 PM
I really hate to say this -- but here we go again. Are all these missing mothers and wives on board a cruise ship just enjoying life? They all are somewhere - I doubt there is a demand from space aliens for 'loving mothers' or 'almost ex-wives'.
Can anyone vouch (other than his dog or mother) that he was working in the yard? When did he report her disappearance? They lived in the same house and hardly spoke yet were divorcing? That means, no doubt, that he was adamant about not giving up the great house and she probably wanted it. Or else money was an issue and he couldn't afford to get an apartment. She worked in the cafeteria of a school? What does he do? Call me pessimistic but didn't Sam Parker say he was doing yard work when Theresa was missing? :confused:

gidget641
05-05-2007, 02:44 AM
A website has been launched for lisa. http://www.findlisastebic.com/

Taximom
05-05-2007, 03:08 AM
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervillesun/news/370677,6_1_NA04_MISSING_S1.article

Jaded
05-05-2007, 03:11 AM
I hope she is found soon and this doesn't end up being like other cases before her. :(

AlwaysShocked
05-05-2007, 03:15 AM
"told FOXNews.com that Craig Stebic voluntarily handed over the family computer to police. Authorities still have it in their possession.

"We're actively looking at all leads," Eiting said when asked if police are still searching the computer for any clues.

Craig Stebic said he filed for divorce after 14 years of marriage in January when his wife declared in October that she "didn't want to be married to me anymore," the Tribune reported. Since then, he said, they've lived separate lives in the same house and have not spoken more than five words to each other in five months.

Police were called to the Stebic house once in December during a domestic dispute, according to the Tribune.

Eiting told the paper that it was a "nonviolent domestic trouble call, so it was a verbal altercation between Lisa and her husband. No arrests, no battery."

Eiting confirmed to FOXNews.com that the Stebics were going through a divorce and said Craig Stebic was fully cooperating with the investigation.

In 1995, Craig Stebic was charged with two felony counts of unlawful use of a weapon after police stopped his vehicle about 1,000 feet south of two Lincolnshire schools at 9 in the morning, according to the Tribune.

Police found a 10-gauge double-barrel shotgun, a .44 magnum semi-automatic pistol, a Ruger Mini-14 assault rifle and an AK-47 semi-automatic assault rifle in his 1998 Toyota pickup.

He was also charged with four misdemeanor counts of unlawful use of a weapon, operating an unsafe motor vehicle and driving while his license was revoked, according to the Tribune.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270106,00.html

Taximom
05-05-2007, 03:21 AM
I deleted a comment I made about the Find Lisa website probably being set up by her friends not Craig. It turns out it was her family that did it.

A neighbor that reportedly says they see her come home between 2 and 4 p.m. said they didn't see that last week. Hubby says she went missing at 6:15. How does he know this if they aren't talking to each other?

I hope the kids tell LE plenty.

Press conference about it but CRAIG DID NOT PARTICIPATE. Why not? He's too distraught. More distraught than her own family? Give me a break. :snooty:

Press conference video here:
http://cbs2chicago.com/westsuburbanbureau/local_story_124212449.html

Jaded
05-05-2007, 03:36 AM
It's hard not to be a skeptic when nearly all of the cases such as this turn end in the husband being charged with murder. And every time I shake my head -- why not just LEAVE instead of ruining your life, and that of your children who will be left parentless.

Liz
05-05-2007, 04:10 AM
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervillesun/news/370677,6_1_NA04_MISSING_S1.article

Some snippets from your link that piqued my interest:

Lisa M. Stebic, 37, of 13244 Red Star Drive was reported missing Tuesday by a neighbor, Deputy Police Chief Mark Eiting said.

Craig Stebic said he hasn't seen his wife since she left the house with her purse and cell phone about 6 p.m. Monday. She left on foot or was picked up because she didn't drive her car, he said.

"It's been like three days now. It's getting a little crazy," he said, his eyes red and watery. He held a crumpled tissue as he spoke.

"Somebody's got to see her somewhere," he said. "You just don't drop off the face of the earth."

One of the Stebics' neighbors, who asked to remain anonymous, said she is used to seeing Lisa come home from work each day about 2 p.m. and leave again about 4 p.m.

"This week was unusual because I didn't see her at all," she said.

==============

So, the neighbor allegedly reported Lisa missing, not her soon to be ex. hmmmm. When? Wednesday night? Thursday morning?

Yet, the (soon to be ex) husband, Craig, claims (article dated 5/3) he hadn't slept in three days? Why didn't he report his wife missing, since he was SO worried, that he couldn't sleep since Monday? I wonder. Little freudian slip there, perhaps?

Also he knows when she left the house and that she had her purse and cell phone, but can't say whether she left on foot or got picked up. hmmmm....

I'll be praying Lisa turns up safe and sound, although it doesn't sound very promising.

ETA: According to the Chicago Trib (5/4), Lisa's husband reported her missing Tuesday morning. So if true, this looks a bit better for Craig.

Plainfield Deputy Police Chief Mark Eiting said Craig Stebic reported his wife missing at 10 a.m. Tuesday. There is no evidence of foul play, he said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/southsouthwest/chi-0705040603may04,1,1118761.story?coll=chi-newslocalssouthwest-hed

I think someone needs to call in the search dogs, to figure out whether Lisa left on foot or by car. Time is of essence!

chicoliving
05-05-2007, 04:14 AM
It seems more appropriate to discuss this here on the discussion forum. :)

Betsy
05-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Does it sound strange to anyone else that HE filed for divorce in January (he says she told him October that she didn't want to be married anymore) yet he was STILL living there? And yet, they hadn't spoken in 5 months?? How do you do that?

gidget641
05-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Does it sound strange to anyone else that HE filed for divorce in January (he says she told him October that she didn't want to be married anymore) yet he was STILL living there? And yet, they hadn't spoken in 5 months?? How do you do that?

I find a few thing strange about this case. But, not that he was still living in the family home. I know one of my former bosses is currently still living in his home with his soon to be ex-wife. They filed for divorce over a year ago. He just moved into the guest room. I also know that when I was getting divorced my lawyer 'dressed me down' for leaving the marital home. (and we just rented an apt. did not own the property)

Now I DO NOT buy that they did not speak. No way that could be the case, they have children. There would have to be some sort of communication conserning the kids.

Has anyone seen anything about LE interviewing people where she normally would work out? If she did in fact leave to go work out, did she make it there?

Also was she at work on Monday?

My gut tells me that the husband is involved, (seems to be the case most of the time in cases like this) but I would hate to see that LE focused on him, and it turns out that she hooked up with some nut job.

I also have a problem with her just leaving and not saying a word. nothing like "I am going now. The kids are blah blah blah" or "make sure homework gets done." A mother just does not leave with out saying a word about her kids.

OT-Betsy, I grew up in Barrington square in H.E. Small world

Cubby
05-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Craig Stebic said he filed for divorce after 14 years of marriage in January when his wife declared in October that she "didn't want to be married to me anymore," the Tribune reported. Since then, he said

That stuck out at me as strange. She said she didn't want to be married, so he just said ok honey and went in filed himself within a few months? I know statistically woman initiate divorce more often than men and would guess woman would also file first........ His not leaving the house would be do to "abandonment" issues with child custody.

If he was really working in the back yard, at 6:10, did anyone see him? Plainfield subdivisions, look like all the rest of recent development with most places having a decent view off all the back yards. Seems a little early to me with dinner time........

If she really left with someone to "work out" with her cell phone, and purse, the "person" who "picked her up" should appear on either the computer, home or cell phone.

Hi to all my "neighbors". I'm in the C.S area, not too far from H.E.

gidget641
05-05-2007, 11:09 AM
That stuck out at me as strange. She said she didn't want to be married, so he just said ok honey and went in filed himself within a few months? I know statistically woman initiate divorce more often than men and would guess woman would also file first........ His not leaving the house would be do to "abandonment" issues with child custody.

If he was really working in the back yard, at 6:10, did anyone see him? Plainfield subdivisions, look like all the rest of recent development with most places having a decent view off all the back yards. Seems a little early to me with dinner time........

If she really left with someone to "work out" with her cell phone, and purse, the "person" who "picked her up" should appear on either the computer, home or cell phone.

Hi to all my "neighbors". I'm in the C.S area, not too far from H.E.

Working outside at 6:10 does not strike me as strange we eat around 5-5:30 and my hubby works outside till dark almost every night. But then again my hubby does not have a normal 9-5 job. so he is home some days by noon. just depends on what job sites he has to visit that day.

OT-I am thinking I was a close neighbor of yours too! If C.S is the town I am thinking of, I just moved from there a little over a year ago. I was just down the street from S.S mall and the Kmart

Cubby
05-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Right area.... I used to work at the RL pt right around the corner.

I still love that picture.......

Liz
05-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Search continues for Lisa Stebic

MISSING WOMAN'S FAMILY HOLDS PRESS CONFERENCE; INFORMATION REMAINS LIMITED

May 5, 2007
By BRIAN STANLEY Staff Writer

PLAINFIELD -- Mark Greenberg looked around the missing woman's neighborhood Friday afternoon.
"It's strange how everything is so normal," the Naperville man said.

more:
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervillesun/news/371847,4_1_JO05_MISSING_S1.article

This article also states that Lisa was reported missing by her neighbor, not her husband. :confused:

Trino
05-05-2007, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE=Cubby;1474084]That stuck out at me as strange. She said she didn't want to be married, so he just said ok honey and went in filed himself within a few months? I know statistically woman initiate divorce more often than men and would guess woman would also file first........ His not leaving the house would be do to "abandonment" issues with child custody. /QUOTE]

My neighbor pulled the same thing on her husband. After 3 kids (ages 4, 9, 10), she simply told her husband she did not love him and wanted a divorce. He tried to reason with her, counseling, but it did no good. He finally filed - within a few months. This is exactly why he did not leave the house. His attorney said if he did, it would be considered abandonment, i.e. child custody, so he lived in the house until the very day the divorce was final - got joint custody.

gidget641
05-05-2007, 08:03 PM
This article also states that Lisa was reported missing by her neighbor, not her husband. :confused:

Now that part sends my hinkey meter off the charts. If that is accurate, why would the neighbor make the report and not the husband? Did the neighbor do it because he was too upset? or because he acted like he did not give a chit? Was he even aware that the neighbor was going to call the police?

puglet
05-05-2007, 10:24 PM
This woman lives in the subdivision next to mine. There are missing posters everywhere. This is such a safe area, I can't help believe that the husband did something to her. I feel for her poor kids.

Liz
05-07-2007, 07:00 AM
Plainfield police: No leads on Lisa Stebic
May 7, 2007

PLAINFIELD -- Family members passed out fliers Sunday as Lisa Stebic remained missing.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/373816,4_1_JO07_COPS_S1.article

Thinking about Lisa and praying for her safe return.

concernedperson
05-07-2007, 08:37 AM
This case is reminding me of Tara Grant's case where the husband said she left in a car w/ someone. Of course later LE found her torso in the garage.

Has LE obtained a search warrant for the house yet?

Liz
05-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Has LE obtained a search warrant for the house yet?

Hi CP. I don't believe they have. He offered up the computer(s) from what I understand.

I wish the family would get a couple of search dogs over there before Lisa's scent diminishes, to try to determine IF she left by foot or in a vehicle. (That's if there are any available -- presently not tied up in the Greensburg, Kansas (tornado devastated) area.)

FNC is covering her case right now.

Taximom
05-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Does anyone know what the husband does for a living?

I still think the weirdest thing is the internet posts with her full name. It's like it was put there on purpose. Which makes me think pre-meditation.

Someone commented on another site (topix?) that they should check the father-in-law's boating business for any weird activity around the time she went missing.

I'm still hoping for the best though. (putting on my rose-colored glasses)

Liz
05-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Does anyone know what the husband does for a living?

I still think the weirdest thing is the internet posts with her full name. It's like it was put there on purpose. Which makes me think pre-meditation.

Someone commented on another site (topix?) that they should check the father-in-law's boating business for any weird activity around the time she went missing.

I'm still hoping for the best though. (putting on my rose-colored glasses)

That is strange about those internet postings --- sounds like a great set-up for pre-meditated foul play. But, then again, maybe it was legit and led to her demise.

Saw on Fox earlier that they had search dogs out looking for her yesterday (I think). But, I'd still like to know if the dogs checked the home premises to determine how she left (by foot or vehicle).

It was mentioned that Lisa usually got home around 2 and stayed and helped the kids with homework and stuff, until the hubby came in about 6 at which time she usually left. She would normally return around 10 pm.

Dena
05-07-2007, 12:06 PM
OT-I am thinking I was a close neighbor of yours too! If C.S is the town I am thinking of, I just moved from there a little over a year ago. I was just down the street from S.S mall and the Kmart

Small world, I currently live in Carol Stream. I went to Hoffman High and my first job was at the dollar theatre in Barrington Square Mall.

Rosco
05-07-2007, 12:21 PM
I pray they find her safe. I can't imagine her leaving her children.
Rosco

gidget641
05-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Small world, I currently live in Carol Stream. I went to Hoffman High and my first job was at the dollar theatre in Barrington Square Mall.

My first job was at the burger king in Barrington Square. Quite a few years b4 the HE police department declared the entire mall a NO CRUISING zone! I was just at the Garibaldi's and notice that there is one woman who has been working there since I was 13.

Do you remember MR. Frosty's ice cream over on Hassel rd?

twinkiesmom
05-08-2007, 09:11 AM
<<They lived in the same house and hardly spoke yet were divorcing? That means, no doubt, that he was adamant about not giving up the great house and she probably wanted it. Or else money was an issue and he couldn't afford to get an apartment. She worked in the cafeteria of a school? What does he do? >>

On Greta's show, one of the family members said he was a pipe fitter.

I'm surprised with them divorcing that she did not feel the need to get a job other than working in the school cafeteria. (I read from a local poster on another board that she's a lunch lady.) That's something stay at home moms do to keep their ears open about what's going on at the kid's school and earn a little pin money, not enough to support yourself.

The cost of living in the Chicago suburbs is high, even though Plainfield is considered affordable by comparison. I doubt they had enough money to support two households much less keep that house.

To the poster who said this was a safe area...my brother just moved out of Plainfield a few years ago...It was a safe area in the early 90's when he moved in. He was noticing increasing criminality...there was a domestic homicide one block over, and someone was setting off small explosives in his neighborhood. Plainfield is also right next to Joliet.

Liz
05-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Stebic search goes national
May 8, 2007

Snippets from article:

Melanie Greenberg of Naperville, who is married to Stebic's cousin, has served as the family's spokeswoman. Greenberg on Friday started a Web site, www.findlisastebic.com, which received more than 12,000 hits by Monday afternoon.

No one saw Lisa, described as 5-foot-2 inches and 125 pounds, leave her house that day, police said. She often worked out at Plainfield North High School's fitness center, but she did not work out there April 30, police said.

The Sunday search did not generate any new information, though police say keeping Lisa's case public is crucial.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/375012,4_1_JO08_MISSING_S1.article

===============================

I imagine this has already been checked out but I've been wondering if Craig has keys to Lisa's car, because there is always the possibility her cell phone and purse are in the trunk. If I were leaving to work out, I wouldn't take anything but my key(s) and bottled water. In her situation, I would've locked my purse & phone in my car. But that's just me.

On Fox News' "America's Newsroom" this hour, I think I heard that they are going to interview Lisa's sisters.

gidget641
05-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Stebic search goes national
May 8, 2007

Snippets from article:

No one saw Lisa, described as 5-foot-2 inches and 125 pounds, leave her house that day,
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/375012,4_1_JO08_MISSING_S1.article

I wonder if that means that she did not go to work on monday either.

Liz
05-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Missing woman in middle of divorce
May 8, 2007 - <snipped>
Police are investigating the disappearance of 37-year-old Lisa Stebic. As part of their investigation, they asked her husband, Craig Stebic, to take a polygraph test. Lisa's relatives say he first agreed to take the test but then changed his mind.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=5283782

The article also mentioned there is a $20,000 reward for information. And that more than 15,000 visitors have already clicked on to their website, http://findlisastebic.com

Betsy
05-08-2007, 09:44 AM
So he SAYS she left to go work out, but we know that she did not arrive there.

I'm wondering what time the kids left to go buy "candy". How long were they gone? Did they see their mother after school that day?

So assuming they did, and everything was fine that afternoon, and they ate dinner, etc, before the kids left and before Lisa "left"....What if they got in an argument, he hit her, realized uh oh, it was fatal or close to it, he was in big trouble regardless....He hides her (In his trunk maybe? What does he drive? Maybe he hides her in her own car?) Anyway, later that night, kids are in bed, nothing is out of the ordinary, since mom usually comes home late anyway, hubby leaves during the night and takes her somewhere. Would the neighbors notice him leaving in the middle of the night? I doubt if I would notice my neighbors if they did anything while I was sleeping. My neighbor works nights and leaves around 11:00pm to go to work, and I just realized I NEVER see her nor hear her car leave.

There is a big window here for him to do whatever with her. I hate to be so suspicious, but this is weird.

And I don't watch the news much, but has he been on at all, except for that first night? Her family (and his) have been pleading for her to come home but has he?

I asked my husband last night what would he do if I went missing, and he admits he'd be extremely distraught but couldn't imagine letting the rest of the family do the footwork in finding me--he'd have to be out there doing all he could, regardless if he was under suspicion. But of course, thankfully, we aren't going through this ordeal, so who knows what someone would do.

Just rambling here....This is not going to have a happy ending.

"HI" to all my neighbors!

Betsy

Betsy
05-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Lisa's relatives say he first agreed to take the test but then changed his mind.

OK, did this guy NOT follow the Peterson case?? Surely he's not THAT stupid....

But then, I always thought that about Scott, and the answer was incredibly YES--he WAS that stupid!

Liz
05-08-2007, 09:48 AM
I wonder if that means that she did not go to work on monday either.

I don't know for sure, Gidget, but I would think if she hadn't showed up for work last Monday, that it would have already been mentioned in some of the media reports.

Dena
05-08-2007, 09:58 AM
<<They lived in the same house and hardly spoke yet were divorcing? That means, no doubt, that he was adamant about not giving up the great house and she probably wanted it. Or else money was an issue and he couldn't afford to get an apartment. She worked in the cafeteria of a school? What does he do? >>

On Greta's show, one of the family members said he was a pipe fitter.

I'm surprised with them divorcing that she did not feel the need to get a job other than working in the school cafeteria. (I read from a local poster on another board that she's a lunch lady.) That's something stay at home moms do to keep their ears open about what's going on at the kid's school and earn a little pin money, not enough to support yourself.

The cost of living in the Chicago suburbs is high, even though Plainfield is considered affordable by comparison. I doubt they had enough money to support two households much less keep that house.

To the poster who said this was a safe area...my brother just moved out of Plainfield a few years ago...It was a safe area in the early 90's when he moved in. He was noticing increasing criminality...there was a domestic homicide one block over, and someone was setting off small explosives in his neighborhood. Plainfield is also right next to Joliet.

I don't know much about Plainfield in particular, but yes, living in the suburbs is very expensive. I agree, there is no way a single mom in Plainfield could support herself as a lunch lady. And anyway, being a lunch lady isn't even a full time gig right?

He agreed then refused eh... why doesn't he give it up and tell LE where Lisa is.
Why do men continually think they can get away with murdering their wives? Haven't they learned?

Liz
05-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi Betsy! How did you find out that Lisa never made it to work Monday? I haven't heard or read that but you are local, whereas I'm not.

I agree it doesn't sound good, but I am trying to keep hope alive for Lisa; and especially her children.

Note about update on Fox News: Bill Hemmer just mentioned that Lisa's family would be joining them this hour.

Betsy
05-08-2007, 10:24 AM
I meant she never made it to where she works out--sorry!

Liz
05-08-2007, 10:32 AM
I meant she never made it to where she works out--sorry!

No prob, Betsy. Thanks for the clarification! :)

I wish Craig would take the poly for the sake of the children, if nothing else.

America's Newsroom is discussing the case again.

Seahorseladydi
05-08-2007, 02:14 PM
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervillesun/news/374981,6_1_NA08_MISSING_S1.article

This article is titled "She feared her husband"

This is VERY interesting!!!

The husband is involved!!!

J-Man
05-08-2007, 02:16 PM
--Husband's whereabouts in the last week prior to disappearance, e.g. I-Pass tracks the date and time going through any toll plaza in Illinois
--current construction jobs husband was working at
--where husband has tools/equipment stored for work purposes
--any storage facilties husband has rented out or uses
--library books either has checked out recently
--video inside store to prove that the kids were there on night of disappearance
--video inside all stores close to house night/morning of disappearance

Lurker
05-08-2007, 02:25 PM
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervillesun/news/374981,6_1_NA08_MISSING_S1.article

This article is titled "She feared her husband"

This is VERY interesting!!!

The husband is involved!!!

Uh OH!

"She found ways to leave the house whenever her husband was home, and on four occasions took her 10-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter on visits to the Zegars' home.
There, Lisa met a 45-year-old friend of the Zegars, with whom she went on a few dates while still living with Craig Stebic, Zegar said."

I wonder if the hubby found out about the dates? And now he's refused a poly? Doesn't sound good.

Betsy
05-08-2007, 02:33 PM
current construction jobs husband was working at

I thought of this, too. Could he have been at work that day and thought, Hmmm, this would be a great place to hide someone...Then went back that night...

I don't know--it took me a very long time to believe that Scott Peterson premeditated Laci's murder, so I tend to be a little naive.

Was it ever clarified if HE reported her missing, or if it was the neighbor? I picture the kids being upset the next morning that she wasn't home and telling a neighbor, or needing a ride to school because mom wasn't there. Those poor children...

Was HE home that morning? Did he leave early like some construction workers? Maybe he didn't know she wasn't home? I'm assuming they had separate bedrooms.

Bottom line is, this woman did not leave voluntarily. Therefore, foul play IS involved, whether the police are admitting it publicly or not. So...first thing to do is rule out the spouse. If they can't, there's a big problem.

Unfortunately, with a stranger, there's always hope. But with a spouse... :(

Seahorseladydi
05-08-2007, 02:44 PM
I have to say......

I have been married for 13 years and in January asked my husband to leave... he refused!

My point is....... if she didn't want to be married any longer then they spoke more then just 5 words in 5 months TRUST ME!

AND.......

I can totally relate about not wanting to be home when he was there..... she was trying to find a way to not have to "deal" with him....

I just can relate so much to how this woman felt.... and yes I have thought about leaving but this is MY house and they are MY kids! HE can GET OUT! (Makes me wonder if that is how she was feeling)

Betsy
05-08-2007, 02:49 PM
I have to say......

I have been married for 13 years and in January asked my husband to leave... he refused!

My point is....... if she didn't want to be married any longer then they spoke more then just 5 words in 5 months TRUST ME!

AND.......

I can totally relate about not wanting to be home when he was there..... she was trying to find a way to not have to "deal" with him....

I just can relate so much to how this woman felt.... and yes I have thought about leaving but this is MY house and they are MY kids! HE can GET OUT! (Makes me wonder if that is how she was feeling)

Seahorseladydi, I'm sorry for your situation. I hope everything resolves itself soon, for your sake and your children.

I think you're right--I think "we didn't say more than 5 words to eachother" probably translates into "we fought constantly, but I don't want anyone to know that"...

I'm sure those poor children know a thing or two....

Seahorseladydi
05-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks Betsy!!!

Life lives itself and I am just here for the ride.... at the moment! lol

I think you are right.... those children are old enough to know SOMETHING!

I am sure the police have spoke with the friends and neighbors... I think they know more then they are saying.

I am going to give it a few days.... the hubby can't handle the stress he will blow.. or make a mistake.... men are not all that brilliant when it comes to killing their wives!

JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION HOWEVER ;)

Liz
05-08-2007, 03:00 PM
--Husband's whereabouts in the last week prior to disappearance, e.g. I-Pass tracks the date and time going through any toll plaza in Illinois
--current construction jobs husband was working at
--where husband has tools/equipment stored for work purposes
--any storage facilties husband has rented out or uses
--library books either has checked out recently
--video inside store to prove that the kids were there on night of disappearance
--video inside all stores close to house night/morning of disappearance

J-Man, that seem like a pretty good list of things to check. I only hope LE or family are doing some checking on some of that stuff.

I noticed that was your first post, so I'd like to welcome you to Websleuths! :)

Dena
05-08-2007, 03:15 PM
In that link there is a picture of the house and it states that Lisa was receiving counseling at a battered women's shelter.

I am confident Craig Stebic murdered his wife.
I just have this gut feeling and this whole situation is reminding me too much of home.

Bear with me...

My mother was in an abusive relationship with my stepfather for 13 years. He hit her a lot, she had many bruises, a broken nose, he had knocked out her teeth, smashed her head against cabinets. My stepfather had a criminal record as good as Mr. Stebic. A criminal record means SQUAT. The only way there would be a record for spousal abuse is if 1) the cops are called and 2) the woman presses charges.
Many women (like my mother) make up stories about their injuries to keep the peace.

I feel that Craig Stebic is a typical manipulator and psychopath. He is good at head games, a confident man who believes he won't be caught. I remember a time when my stepfather told me that he has never failed a lie detector test. He says that if you believe your own story whole-heartedly, stay calm, you will pass.
My stepfather was a manipulator, a liar, an abuser, and a confident and charismatic man who could talk his way out of anything. He turned stories around to make my mother look like the crazy one.

This all seems so similar.

Seahorseladydi
05-08-2007, 03:37 PM
In that link there is a picture of the house and it states that Lisa was receiving counseling at a battered women's shelter.

I am confident Craig Stebic murdered his wife.
I just have this gut feeling and this whole situation is reminding me too much of home.

Bear with me...

My mother was in an abusive relationship with my stepfather for 13 years. He hit her a lot, she had many bruises, a broken nose, he had knocked out her teeth, smashed her head against cabinets. My stepfather had a criminal record as good as Mr. Stebic. A criminal record means SQUAT. The only way there would be a record for spousal abuse is if 1) the cops are called and 2) the woman presses charges.
Many women (like my mother) make up stories about their injuries to keep the peace.

I feel that Craig Stebic is a typical manipulator and psychopath. He is good at head games, a confident man who believes he won't be caught. I remember a time when my stepfather told me that he has never failed a lie detector test. He says that if you believe your own story whole-heartedly, stay calm, you will pass.
My stepfather was a manipulator, a liar, an abuser, and a confident and charismatic man who could talk his way out of anything. He turned stories around to make my mother look like the crazy one.

This all seems so similar.

This is SO true for me! I think this case is hitting home for alot of people. My husband does not hit me but WORDS can hurt just as much!

JDB
05-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Uh OH!

"She found ways to leave the house whenever her husband was home, and on four occasions took her 10-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter on visits to the Zegars' home.
There, Lisa met a 45-year-old friend of the Zegars, with whom she went on a few dates while still living with Craig Stebic, Zegar said."

I wonder if the hubby found out about the dates? And now he's refused a poly? Doesn't sound good.

This is the part that Bothers me from the article. Why not the Husband?
After she didn't return that night, a neighbor reported her missing the

Megs
05-08-2007, 06:53 PM
$20,000 Reward Offered for Information on Missing Illinois Mom

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270657,00.html

Some more info.... it also states that she DID go to work on Monday and that her sons were home when she returned from work.....

fundiva
05-08-2007, 07:39 PM
So he SAYS she left to go work out, but we know that she did not arrive there.

I'm wondering what time the kids left to go buy "candy". How long were they gone? Did they see their mother after school that day?

So assuming they did, and everything was fine that afternoon, and they ate dinner, etc, before the kids left and before Lisa "left"....What if they got in an argument, he hit her, realized uh oh, it was fatal or close to it, he was in big trouble regardless....He hides her (In his trunk maybe? What does he drive? Maybe he hides her in her own car?) Anyway, later that night, kids are in bed, nothing is out of the ordinary, since mom usually comes home late anyway, hubby leaves during the night and takes her somewhere. Would the neighbors notice him leaving in the middle of the night? I doubt if I would notice my neighbors if they did anything while I was sleeping. My neighbor works nights and leaves around 11:00pm to go to work, and I just realized I NEVER see her nor hear her car leave.

There is a big window here for him to do whatever with her. I hate to be so suspicious, but this is weird.

And I don't watch the news much, but has he been on at all, except for that first night? Her family (and his) have been pleading for her to come home but has he?

I asked my husband last night what would he do if I went missing, and he admits he'd be extremely distraught but couldn't imagine letting the rest of the family do the footwork in finding me--he'd have to be out there doing all he could, regardless if he was under suspicion. But of course, thankfully, we aren't going through this ordeal, so who knows what someone would do.

Just rambling here....This is not going to have a happy ending.

"HI" to all my neighbors!

Betsy
I heard about the kids being sent out to buy candy on Greta last night too. It didn't say when they left or returned, but the husband was the one that gave them the money and sent them on their way. Has anybody heard whether he was there early or did he go to work that day at all?

Betsy
05-08-2007, 07:46 PM
I heard about the kids being sent out to buy candy on Greta last night too. It didn't say when they left or returned, but the husband was the one that gave them the money and sent them on their way. Has anybody heard whether he was there early or did he go to work that day at all?

They were "sent" to buy candy??? Geez....

So my question is...did he give them money to leave the house because he knew what was going to happen...or...did it already happen and he wanted to get rid of them for a little while until he figured out what to do...

In my house, if my kids are watching TV in the basement, they literally have no idea what's happening in the rest of the house...

drumstick
05-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Under this link .... images to the right of the page ...
image #14

He appears to have a wound on his righthand, pinky finger.

http://www.nbc5.com/family/13249013/...=headlineclick

I wonder if le checked his hands?

twinkiesmom
05-08-2007, 11:07 PM
How far is the DuPage River from this subdivision, and how high is the water level right now?

Cubby
05-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Under this link .... images to the right of the page ...
image #14

He appears to have a wound on his righthand, pinky finger.

http://www.nbc5.com/family/13249013/...=headlineclick

I wonder if le checked his hands?

I couldn't find the picture.

Cubby
05-08-2007, 11:30 PM
How far is the DuPage River from this subdivision, and how high is the water level right now?

I don't think the rivers are high... I think we are low on rain in the area. I don't know where the DuPage River runs in comparison to the area, but do know there are several quarries in Joliet-we used to swim in them as teenagers-, which is next to south end of Plainfield.

chicoliving
05-08-2007, 11:39 PM
I couldn't find the picture.

Try this link and check out slide #2 and #14. I didn't see anything wrong with his pinkie on #2 but I could on #14.

http://www.nbc5.com/slideshow/slideshows/13250522/detail.html

Cubby
05-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Try this link and check out slide #2 and #14. I didn't see anything wrong with his pinkie on #2 but I could on #14.

http://www.nbc5.com/slideshow/slideshows/13250522/detail.html

I can see it in # 14 too, but can't quite tell if it's skin scraped off, or a scar.

In regards to her saying she was scared of her husband, and that she was getting counseling from a DV shelter, why didn't she file a report and get a restraining order and get him out of the house? Why wouldn't her dv atty suggest she do so? this is going to sound bad, and I mean no disrespect, but it sounds like she may have not done so due to needing him financially.

fran
05-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Same story, over and over and over................

Next step, SW the home and all vehicles!

JMHO
fran

CW
05-09-2007, 03:08 AM
What I'm having a hard time understanding is that in most states if one has been charged and convicted of a felony they are no longer allowed to have weapon's. A news artical states that in 1995 he had 2 felony counts and four misdermeanor counts of unlawful use of a weapon.If I'm not mistaken in new's reports police found gun's in their home but that they believe they hadn't be shot for sometime. It still seems to me that he should of been arrest for weapon violations.
But then again they might be holding off on the weapon's violations in hopes of him giving the police information into finding Lisa or like Scott P did going back to the scene of the crime.

Cubby
05-09-2007, 03:47 AM
What I'm having a hard time understanding is that in most states if one has been charged and convicted of a felony they are no longer allowed to have weapon's. A news artical states that in 1995 he had 2 felony counts and four misdermeanor counts of unlawful use of a weapon.If I'm not mistaken in new's reports police found gun's in their home but that they believe they hadn't be shot for sometime. It still seems to me that he should of been arrest for weapon violations.
But then again they might be holding off on the weapon's violations in hopes of him giving the police information into finding Lisa or like Scott P did going back to the scene of the crime.

No you didn't miss it.

In 1995, Craig Stebic was charged with two felony counts of unlawful use of a weapon after police stopped his vehicle about 1,000 feet south of two Lincolnshire schools at 9 in the morning, according to the Tribune.

Police found a 10-gauge double-barrel shotgun, a .44 magnum semi-automatic pistol, a Ruger Mini-14 assault rifle and an AK-47 semi-automatic assault rifle in his 1998 Toyota pickup.

He was also charged with four misdemeanor counts of unlawful use of a weapon, operating an unsafe motor vehicle and driving while his license was revoked, according to the Tribune.

Where are Craigs peers? His coworkers? Why haven't we heard from any of them?

Taximom
05-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Greta had two people on last night talking about this case-Melanie Greenberg and someone else. I just caught the end when they were saying their "thanks" and good-byes. Didn't see the husband there though. :rolleyes:

I agree with most here-the husband sounds like he holds the answer. I'm glad the kids are old enough to talk and answer questions reasonably.

gidget641
05-09-2007, 07:55 AM

Here in Illinois there is such a law. If you are CONVICTED of a felony you lose your right to own firearms. To take away his right to own a gun simply on the felony charges would be a violation of his constitutional rights. Has anyone read where he was found guilty on those charges? Because if he was not, he can still own a gun.

And here is another sad fact...even if he was convicted, Lisa can still own a gun herself, keep it in her house where he lives and it is legal. (I know of a man who was convicted of murder, and when he was released had his wife buy all the guns he wanted)

So maybe the reason the police have not arrested him is one of two reasons. 1) He was charged but never convicted. or 2.) The gun is registered to Lisa.

BTW- I never will understand why a person NEEDS an AK-47.

crash676
05-09-2007, 10:24 AM

Forget the Dupage River check the Kankakee River area. There are many many places unfortunately that you would never find anyone. I live 10 miles from Plainfield and the Kankakee River and Des Plaines River areas are very woody and the water level is at a high point right now. I am still hoping it does not come to this and she simply decided she needed a break.

Liz
05-09-2007, 02:35 PM
POLICE SAY MISSING PLAINFIELD WOMAN'S HUSBAND IS COOPERATING IN ...
May 9, 2007

PLAINFIELD -- Craig Stebic, whose wife Lisa Stebic has made national headlines since she was reported missing May 1, said he is doing everything he can to cooperate with police investigating her disappearance.

~snip~

Craig Stebic, a pipefitter who has not been to work since his wife's disappearance, had a pile of media business cards lined up on his desk, along with a missing person flier with Lisa's picture on it. He didn't answer knocks on the door or telephone calls.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/376748,4_1_JO09_MISSING_S1.article

==================================

Does anyone besides me think it is a bit odd that (according to the above article) the Stebic children continue to attend school each day, but Craig has not been back to work since Lisa's disappearance?

By most reports, the guy hadn't spoken 5 words to his wife in the last five months, but now is so despondent he is unable to go to work? hmmmmm...

Betsy
05-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Next he'll be trying to sell the house....

gidget641
05-09-2007, 02:46 PM
POLICE SAY MISSING PLAINFIELD WOMAN'S HUSBAND IS COOPERATING IN ...
May 9, 2007

PLAINFIELD -- Craig Stebic, whose wife Lisa Stebic has made national headlines since she was reported missing May 1, said he is doing everything he can to cooperate with police investigating her disappearance.

~snip~

Craig Stebic, a pipefitter who has not been to work since his wife's disappearance, had a pile of media business cards lined up on his desk, along with a missing person flier with Lisa's picture on it. He didn't answer knocks on the door or telephone calls.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/376748,4_1_JO09_MISSING_S1.article

==================================

Does anyone besides me think it is a bit odd that (according to the above article) the Stebic children continue to attend school each day, but Craig has not been back to work since Lisa's disappearance?
By most reports, the guy hadn't spoken 5 words to his wife in the last five months, but now is so despondent he is unable to go to work? hmmmmm...

I do find it odd that he is sending his children to school. God forbid I am ever in a similar situation, my kids would be kept home from school to avoid the media and because I would know they are upset.

Taximom
05-09-2007, 03:20 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270633,00.html

Scroll down to "TOP VIDEO" "Hunt for Lisa Stebic" for Greta's interview video from Lisa's sister and cousin last night.

CW
05-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Here in Illinois there is such a law. If you are CONVICTED of a felony you lose your right to own firearms. To take away his right to own a gun simply on the felony charges would be a violation of his constitutional rights. Has anyone read where he was found guilty on those charges? Because if he was not, he can still own a gun.

And here is another sad fact...even if he was convicted, Lisa can still own a gun herself, keep it in her house where he lives and it is legal. (I know of a man who was convicted of murder, and when he was released had his wife buy all the guns he wanted)

So maybe the reason the police have not arrested him is one of two reasons. 1) He was charged but never convicted. or 2.) The gun is registered to Lisa.

BTW- I never will understand why a person NEEDS an AK-47.

I'm trying to keep a opened mind here. You are correct at this time we have no proof at this point as to if he was CONVICTED or NOT on these felony charges. But let's say if he was convicted and you are correct Lisa could legally own these guns even with him living in the home. But IMO if she truly did FEAR him why didn't she remove the guns from the home while he was away at work. It seems to me that she would of removed her guns and placed them in safe keeping with a family member since they would of been her guns not his.Gadget I'm not just directing this post at you I'm just asking in general. I know if I truly felt any fear towards my hubby I would not allow any guns in my home and I'd be getting a divorce.I understand that when a couple is getting a divorce it's best to stay in the home until the judge makes his final ruling in the divorce degree. It seems to me if she truly feared him her attorney could of filed a restraining order and had him removed from the home until the final divorce degree and I know of many cases in where the hubby was removed from the home while going through a divorce and the judge rules that the husband is responsible to make the house payments,pay eletric bills, house insurance, car insurance and etc. I totally agree with you 110% who needs a AK-47. Trust me with what I've heard so far through the media I'm leaning towards the hubby but as I said I'm keeping a opened mind because I know how the media can get things wrong and how they like to point fingers to draw in the ratings.

FactsareFacts
05-09-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm trying to keep a opened mind here. You are correct at this time we have no proof at this point as to if he was CONVICTED or NOT on these felony charges. But let's say if he was convicted and you are correct Lisa could legally own these guns even with him living in the home. But IMO if she truly did FEAR him why didn't she remove the guns from the home while he was away at work. It seems to me that she would of removed her guns and placed them in safe keeping with a family member since they would of been her guns not his.

I don't know for sure if this is right but a poster at CTV said that even if Craig was found guilty of the gun charges, once his parole expires he can go and pick up his guns from the county lock up. Apparently they have to keep them for him. Anyone here ever heard of this?

gidget641
05-09-2007, 07:17 PM
I don't know for sure if this is right but a poster at CTV said that even if Craig was found guilty of the gun charges, once his parole expires he can go and pick up his guns from the county lock up. Apparently they have to keep them for him. Anyone here ever heard of this?

NOT in illinois he can't. Once you are a convicted felon you may not own a gun in Illinois.

gidget641
05-09-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm trying to keep a opened mind here. You are correct at this time we have no proof at this point as to if he was CONVICTED or NOT on these felony charges. But let's say if he was convicted and you are correct Lisa could legally own these guns even with him living in the home. But IMO if she truly did FEAR him why didn't she remove the guns from the home while he was away at work. It seems to me that she would of removed her guns and placed them in safe keeping with a family member since they would of been her guns not his.Gadget I'm not just directing this post at you I'm just asking in general. I know if I truly felt any fear for towards my hubby I would not allow any guns in my home. I totally agree with you 110% who needs a AK-47. Trust me with what I've heard so far through the media I'm leaning towards the hubby but as I said I'm keeping a opened mind because I know how the media can get things wrong and how they like to point fingers to draw in the ratings.

If the gun did belong to Lisa, maybe she was so afraid that she felt that she needed it for protection. Not such a wise move, but it would not be the first time a victim of DV bought a gun.

I too am trying to keep an open mind, but it really is not looking good for her hubby. The local news had a trailer that said he filed some sort of motion in court today. So I am trying to find out what that is all about.

gidget641
05-09-2007, 07:23 PM
http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_129183406.html

TGIRecovered
05-09-2007, 07:30 PM
At least the kids are able to talk with social workers while they are at school. They may have information that doesn't seem strange to them but in reality is a valuable clue for LE. I know that my kids the same ages could give LE plenty of info about goings on in our home if I were missing! It is rare that my husband and I get to have an un-interrupted conversation, much less a disagreement, without one of them piping in with a question or offering their own opinion. Those little darlin's can be very annoying sometimes!

By the way...note to Mr. Stebic:

Your lawyer works for you! You can take a poly if you want- doesn't matter if he/she likes it or not. I'm thinking the lawyer could have you take a "practice poly" if he thought you could pass it. You're the boss, buddy. Do the right thing!

Susan

twinkiesmom
05-09-2007, 07:54 PM
There's someone posting over on CourtTV who claims to have been friends with Lisa and known the couple.....The story on the guns was he was an avid hunter/outdoorsman, and Lisa was cool with it.

Liz
05-09-2007, 08:18 PM
My thoughts exactly, TGI, regarding the kids going to school and the lawyer. I just hope a certain someone isn't reading here and decides the kids are now too traumatized to continue to attend school.

Regarding firearms in the home --- regardless of Illinois law, there are FEDERAL laws prohibiting any firearm in the home of a convicted felon (or even convicted of any crime punishable by more than one year in prison), regardless of whose name they were in. That tells me that most likely Mr. Stebic was not convicted of a felony (or of any crime for which he could be sentenced to more than one year in prison). Either that OR he was in violation of Federal Firearms Regulations, which I highly doubt or he would have been arrested when LE went into the home, and found firearms to be present. (Unless they are like Keystone Cops!)

CW
05-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Liz as gidget pointed out to me if the husband was convicted of those charges his wife Lisa had every right to own guns it's just the husband who wouldn't be allowed to own any. Gidget again I agree with you if there was only one gun I can understand her maybe wanting to keep it for her own protection. This filing of motion does seem to be a Unusual Legal Action the children's mother is missing the last thing I'd be worried about is filing for custody. I could understand if another family member had filed a petition with the court for custody but at this time they haven't so why file? My hinky meter is leaning me towards the father having something to do with Lisa missing but I'll continue keeping a open mind.

Liz
05-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Liz as gidget pointed out to me if the husband was convicted of those charges his wife Lisa had every right to own guns it's just the husband who wouldn't be allowed to own any.

Windchime, I agree. In that case she would have every right to own firearms and keep them at their home, as long as she didn't mind risking sending her husband to prison because of it. Unless her firearms were kept outside of their home, he would be subject to being arrested for violation of a Federal Firearm laws.

I'll check later and see if I can find something on it, but it is just the way the federal law is written.

CW
05-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Liz thank you for your reply I had no ideal that she would be risking her husband going to jail if the gun's were registered to her with any Federal laws. Thank you for searching for that information. It is confusing to me I guess. LOL

Taximom
05-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Well, I heard on Nancy Grace tonight that the husband is refusing to take a lie detector test.

Transcript from segment tonight:
Very quickly, we are going to Chicago. A young mom disappears. Take a listen.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: This is Plainfield`s first missing persons case in more than a decade. The state police and FBI are assisting in the search. Right now there`s little to go on. Her car was left at home, and Stebic`s estranged husband, who still lived with her, told police that Lisa allegedly left around 6:00 Monday night to go to the high school fitness center.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It was Monday. She left home here, supposedly to go work out. And as far as I know, somebody picked her up, and, come Tuesday morning to go to work, she wasn`t here. And none of her friends have seen her.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Joining us tonight in the mystery surrounding the missing mom, Michele Fiore with WBBM News Radio 780. What happened?

MICHELE FIORE, REPORTER, WBBM: Well, the latest information I have for you, Nancy, is that I did speak to Plainfield police this afternoon, and they tell me that tips are now coming into their department. And that is significant, because over the weekend, when I first met with the deputy police chief, he told me they had nothing at that point. They were desperate for leads. And now they`re finally coming into the station. He says any lead, even saying one that may seem insignificant to people, can be just the tip that they`re looking for, and that can help bring Lisa Stebic home to her family.

GRACE: Jean, what were the circumstances of her disappearance?

JEAN CASAREZ, COURT TV: Well, it was April 30th was the last time that she was seen. And she works at a school cafeteria, so she reported for work that day. They saw her. Her husband is the last one that says he saw her late in the afternoon on April 30th.

He said that she normally would leave in the evening to go do exercise. She`d come back 10:30 or 11:00. She was never seen again. Her children, though, her two children have the same story that the father has, that the last time that they saw their mother was late that afternoon.

GRACE: So to you, Michele Fiore, with 780 WBBM News Radio, both children who were allegedly out buying some candy, the father says he was working in the yard when she went jogging, or to work out, they back up the dad`s claim he saw her at 6:00 p.m.?

FIORE: We have not spoken with the children at this point.

GRACE: I`m sorry, I couldn`t hear you. Repeat?

FIORE: We have not spoken with the children at this point.

GRACE: What can you tell me about the husband refusing a polygraph, Michele Fiore?

FIORE: You know what? Craig Stebic declined to take a polygraph test that was offered to him by the Plainfield Police Department. It was on the advice of his attorney, who is also his divorce attorney in the proceedings that he filed against Lisa Stebic this past January. Police tell us that, besides Craig, other family members and acquaintances of Lisa have also been offered a polygraph test. They would not tell me exactly how many have taken it or if any have taken it at this point.

GRACE: And very quickly, Jean Casarez, is there a reward?

CASAREZ: There is. Her family and friends, $20,000. I think the unusual thing about this case, Nancy, her cell phone, her credit cards, they haven`t been used since that April 30th date.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0705/09/ng.01.html

Liz
05-10-2007, 12:36 AM
You're welcome, Windchime. It's not just you ... the laws are confusing. Here is the easiest explanation I found of what I was trying to express:

"However, federal law is much stricter. It generally prohibits a person convicted of a crime "punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year" from possessing a firearm. The test is the length of possible punishment, not whether the crime is called a misdemeanor or a felony. No exception is made for having a firearm at the home, no matter how long ago the conviction. 18 U.S.C. 922(g)."

Source: http://www.burger.com/gunfaq02.htm

OneLostGrl
05-10-2007, 01:06 AM
I am a convicted felon and when we moved in with my FIL he had to move his guns out of his home or I would be commiting a crime- I would be a felon in possession of a firearm! When the word "possession" is used, it includes things in your home, your car, your purse, etc etc..

Here is a great link.. http://library.findlaw.com/2003/Mar/1/189956.html

"When can I get my gun rights back now that I have finished serving my time?" Hopefully the client has the sense to even ask the question because some individuals rush out to get their weapons the moment their sentence has expired.

The better practice is for attorneys to be sure that clients who are subject to criminal prosecution are aware of firearm limitations. The limitations come in two flavors: state and federal and, as it says in the song, "if the left one don't getcha, then the right one will."

Where a person is under indictment for a felony - even before they are convicted - it is unlawful to acquire firearms.(1) This little-known provision must be impressed on all clients lest they run afoul of serious criminal sanctions for purchasing a shotgun to go duck hunting...."

Although the title and latter part of the link discusses Tennessee law, most of it applies to federal and "state" laws in general.

Hope this helps!

Liz
05-10-2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks, OneLostGirl! I appreciate your stating the facts, as you know them.

chicoliving
05-10-2007, 01:28 AM
MICHELE FIORE, REPORTER, WBBM: Well, the latest information I have for you, Nancy, is that I did speak to Plainfield police this afternoon, and they tell me that tips are now coming into their department. And that is significant, because over the weekend, when I first met with the deputy police chief, he told me they had nothing at that point. They were desperate for leads. And now they`re finally coming into the station. He says any lead, even saying one that may seem insignificant to people, can be just the tip that they`re looking for, and that can help bring Lisa Stebic home to her family.

I wonder just who those tips are concerning. Tips on Lisa or tips on Craig?

Liz
05-10-2007, 01:30 AM
Family, Friends Gather To Remember Missing Woman

Family Meets With Police, Husband

POSTED: 6:39 pm CDT May 9, 2007
UPDATED: 11:09 pm CDT May 9, 2007

CHICAGO ~snipped~ Approximately 100 family and friends attended the vigil, bringing tokens of remembrance for Stebic, NBC5's Amy Jacobson reported.

Jacobson also reported that Stebic's family met with both the Plainfield police and the FBI. The family then went to Stebic's home, where they met with her husband Craig and the couple's two children.

~snip~

Joe Stebic, Craig's father, said his son has told him that he had nothing to do with the disappearance.

"That's what he told me, I asked him yesterday," Stebic said. "I have to believe him -- he's my son."

More:
http://www.nbc5.com/news/13290057/detail.html

Joe Stebic's statement above comes off to me as if he's not really all that convinced about his son's innocence. That's my take on it, anyway.

chicoliving
05-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Jacobson reported that authorities would search nearby retention ponds on Thursday.

Wow. Wonder if there is a lead to cause them to do this?

Liz
05-10-2007, 01:40 AM

I wonder just who those tips are concerning. Tips on Lisa or tips on Craig?

Well my first thought was that they were probably concerning the friends that said Lisa had told them if anything ever happened to her to look at Craig.

Then I shuddered as I recalled the last sentence of the link I just posted, which states:

"(NBC5's Amy) Jacobson reported that authorities would search nearby retention ponds on Thursday."

That's sad to think about. :(

OneLostGrl
05-10-2007, 01:42 AM
Family, Friends Gather To Remember Missing Woman

Family Meets With Police, Husband

POSTED: 6:39 pm CDT May 9, 2007
UPDATED: 11:09 pm CDT May 9, 2007

CHICAGO ~snipped~ Approximately 100 family and friends attended the vigil, bringing tokens of remembrance for Stebic, NBC5's Amy Jacobson reported.

Jacobson also reported that Stebic's family met with both the Plainfield police and the FBI. The family then went to Stebic's home, where they met with her husband Craig and the couple's two children.

~snip~

Joe Stebic, Craig's father, said his son has told him that he had nothing to do with the disappearance.

"That's what he told me, I asked him yesterday," Stebic said. "I have to believe him -- he's my son."

More:

Joe Stebic's statement above comes off to me as if he's not really all that convinced about his son's innocence. That's my take on it, anyway.

I agree with you! The way he says "I have to believe him -- he's my son."- seems like he may have doubts!

Liz
05-10-2007, 01:43 AM
Jacobson reported that authorities would search nearby retention ponds on Thursday.

Wow. Wonder if there is a lead to cause them to do this?

Ahhh, I went back to the link to get the quote and then addressed your post on the previous page without previewing. Seems like we're on the same wave length though.

chicoliving
05-10-2007, 01:48 AM
Ahhh, I went back to the link to get the quote and then addressed your post on the previous page without previewing. Seems like we're on the same wave length though.

It seems a logical step with a child. Maybe too with an adult that was last seen near one or along a jogging path or something? Maybe its just the next step?? It sounds as if they've covered quite a bit of ground although I'm not sure where I read that.

Liz
05-10-2007, 02:10 AM
It seems a logical step with a child. Maybe too with an adult that was last seen near one or along a jogging path or something? Maybe its just the next step?? It sounds as if they've covered quite a bit of ground although I'm not sure where I read that.

Hopefully, maybe someone saw her IF she did make it to go jogging. But from what we've been privy to up until now, the last known person to see her was Craig.

Bobbisangel
05-10-2007, 03:34 AM
Why in the world did he wait until 10:00 am the next morning? He thought she just went to exercise...that doesn't take all night. Nancy Grace covered this story tonight and if I remember right he said she always left late at night to go exercise...maybe my memory is failing me though but I thought that is what he said because I thought that was an odd time to leave to exercise.

In the article about his felonys.......

Look at the type of guns he had with him :confused: :eek: Why would he have those types of guns with him in his vehicle????? This guy doesn't sound like your upstanding citizen to me. I wonder why his license had been revoked. Unlawful use of a weapon....was he shooting at something?

CW
05-10-2007, 08:29 AM
The search for Stebic: "Our hearts are broken'

Good Morning
Thursday, May 10, 2007STNG NEWS ALERTS ::
TOP STORIES :: NEWS BUSINESS SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT

Lisa Stebic's sister Jamie Bouma (from front left), cousin Mark Greenberg, sister Debbie Ruttenberg, daughter Alexis Stebic, husband Craig Stebic and son Zac Stebic comfort one another during a vigil for the missing Plainfield woman Wednesday evening near the Stebics' home. MICHAEL R. SCHMIDT/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHERThe search for Stebic: "Our hearts are broken'
More than a week after Lisa Stebic was reported missing, friends, family and well-wishers gathered at a park near her house Wednesday evening to hold a vigil for her safe return. "Our hearts are broken. It's tearing up every one of us," said Lisa's sister, Debbie Ruttenberg. Stebic, 37, has been missing from her Plainfield home since April 30.http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/plainfieldsun/index.html

CW
05-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Husband files for custody of couple's kids

May 10, 2007
By JANET LUNDQUIST Staff Writer
JOLIET -- Fearing his estranged and missing wife may intend to return, swoop up their children and disappear again, Craig Stebic on Wednesday filed an emergency motion for temporary custody of his two kids.

"We don't know what's going on," said Dion Davi, Stebic's attorney, speaking to Will County Circuit Court Judge Joseph Polito.

"We don't know if Lisa has performed a disappearing act and is planning to come back and take the children," Davi said. "The kids potentially are in danger of being taken away from their father."

RELATED STORIES
Vigil for missing mom: 'Our hearts are broken'
Lisa Stebic of Plainfield was reported missing May 1. The 37-year-old was last seen about 6 p.m. April 30 at her Red Star Drive home.
Her car is still at home. There has been no activity on her cell phone or credit cards since April 30. Police said Wednesday there is still no sign of foul play, no suspects in her disappearance and no leads on her whereabouts.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/379472,4_1_JO10_VIGIL_S2.article

twinkiesmom
05-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Here's why they're searching the ponds:

snip:
They say Lisa told them Craig threatened on several occasions that he would kill her and nobody would find her.

"I've heard her say, 'If anything ever happened to me, look towards Craig,'" said Amer Zegar, who, along with his wife, hosted Lisa and her two children at his home several times since January. "I don't want to blame someone who's innocent. (But) we're scared, we really are."

http://cbs2chicago.com/westsuburbanbureau/local_story_130073345.html

The police must believe he got rid of her while the kids were at the store. They're starting to search close to the house.

2luvmy
05-10-2007, 09:50 AM
I think it is so odd that he files for custody of the kids. He's still trying to make her look bad in the media. No matter how much I dislike my DD's father, I wouldn't be slamming him in the media.

If my spouse went missing, I wouldn't be thinking of custody issues.

TGIRecovered
05-10-2007, 10:42 AM
I think it is so odd that he files for custody of the kids. He's still trying to make her look bad in the media. No matter how much I dislike my DD's father, I wouldn't be slamming him in the media.

If my spouse went missing, I wouldn't be thinking of custody issues.

You probably wouldn't murder him and dump his dead body in a retention pond either!;)

Susan

spring
05-10-2007, 11:44 AM
is the timeline that the children saw her before they went to the store and when they got back she was gone? so he had all night to hide her?

Liz
05-10-2007, 12:08 PM
I don't think I'd need to be accompanied by my lawyer to attend my missing spouse's vigil. Gee, that's just plain tacky!

But, I'm trying to keep an open mind! :cool:

Liz
05-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Link to the transcript from May 8th's On The Record, in which Greta speaks with Lisa's sister Debbie, and their cousin, Melanie:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,271074,00.html

strach304
05-10-2007, 12:36 PM
I've been following this on the ctv board. I looked for it here last night in the missing forum, found it this morning. I'm glad we have the case here.

twinkiesmom
05-10-2007, 12:37 PM
<<I don't think I'd need to be accompanied by my lawyer to attend my missing spouse's vigil. Gee, that's just plain tacky!

But, I'm trying to keep an open mind! >>

But if you're filing for sole custody on the day of your wife's vigil, it'd be rude not to ask the lawyer back to the neighborhood for the reception.

strach304
05-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't care what that clown says or tries to make people believe, she didn't willingly walk away from her children imo. If she wanted to leave I'm sure she would have taken the kids.

That ad she posted or was supposed to have shows the last time accessed was April 11th. With no contacts by e-mail or phone to her how does he expect that story to be believable? How was he even aware of her ad since they weren't speaking? He wasn't because he placed that ad to create an unknown stranger imo.

strach304
05-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Did you all see the video placed on her website? I didn't see it here and I read all 5 pages. Just in case;

http://www.findlisastebic.com/

Liz
05-10-2007, 12:55 PM
But if you're filing for sole custody on the day of your wife's vigil, it'd be rude not to ask the lawyer back to the neighborhood for the reception.

Gosh, you're right -- that completely slipped my mind. (I shoulda had a V-8! lol) :banghead:

Thanks for posting that link to the (really good) article in post #111, twinkiesmom. I cut the snippet below from it:

CBS 2 Legal Analyst Irv Miller said Craig Stebic had made some errors in judgment.

"His first big mistake was to refuse a polygraph,"

Miller said. "His second is trying to take kids away from mother even though she's not around."

On Wednesday, neither Craig Stebic nor his attorney wanted to discuss his sole custody motion directly.

"The focus does not need to be on him," said Dion Davi, Craig's attorney. "We need to use every [bit] of man power we have in finding Lisa."

:rolleyes: Then why not have your client take the polygraph Mr. Davi, so LE can get some answers they need to focus on finding Lisa!

Liz
05-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Did you all see the video placed on her website? I didn't see it here and I read all 5 pages. Just in case;

http://www.findlisastebic.com/

Glad you found us!

Can you (or someone) give a brief synopsis of what's on the video for those of us who are unable to view it? Purty please? ;)

gidget641
05-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Has anyone gone to the message board on the www.findlisastebic.com web-site?

It is just sickening the trash that people are posting there. It is a board for prayers and kind thoughts for the family and people are just posting disrespectful garbage. One idiot even said he would meet up with lisa because "she wasn't getting any at home"

I just cant believe how awful people are being. If I were the family I would shut that part of the site down before some kid that goes to school with lisa's kids repeats some of that trash to them.

Liz
05-10-2007, 01:38 PM
I've read some of it gidget, and I agree that the site should be respected for what Lisa's family established it for - prayers and well wishes.

There are plenty of other places that people can post their accusations and other garbage.

Craig's sister Jill was just on the phone with Martha (Fox - Live Desk) and said one of the reasons Craig filed for sole custody of the children was to lure Lisa home. :rolleyes: GMAB!

twinkiesmom
05-10-2007, 01:42 PM
You know what...The message board is trash, but did you see the telling bits of info questioning where Craig's brother was and asking about the northern cabin...

They're smart to put up a message board because some people will only come forth with information anonymously.

The whole thing can be dumped once she's found one way or another. If there's a funeral, there will be a new board where you can screen out the fruits and nuts. If my family member was missing and I needed the public's help, I'd say bring it on.

Liz
05-10-2007, 01:48 PM
I missed that, twinkiesmom. I didn't know he had a brother. I didn't know he had a sister either, till I just heard her on Fox with Martha McCallum.

gidget641
05-10-2007, 01:49 PM
I've read some of it gidget, and I agree that the site should be respected for what Lisa's family established it for - prayers and well wishes.

There are plenty of other places that people can post their accusations and other garbage.

Craig's sister Jill was just on the phone with Martha (Fox - Live Desk) and said one of the reasons Craig filed for sole custody of the children was to lure Lisa home. :rolleyes: GMAB!

While still trying to keep an open mind, (I really am leaning towards hubby having something to do with the fact that lisa is missing) I will say this...

Lets just say that Craig had nothing to do with lisa disappearing. I would say that filing for custody would be a good way to lure her home. And if she does not turn up before the hearing, and does not go to the hearing I would say he PROVED she can't come home on her own.

Now back from fantasy island...IMO he is most likely guilty as all get out. He has not admitted that to his attorney, and his attorney was probably the one to advise him to file for custody as a way to get lisa to come home.

Liz
05-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I can see it from that point of view, too, Gidget. But, I don't really believe it. His other reason was that he was afraid Lisa might come home and grab the kids and take off. Wonder what his basis for that fear was?

I was really glad that the judge denied Craig's request for sole custody of "her" children (as he often referred to them, according to news reports).

strach304
05-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Glad you found us!

Can you (or someone) give a brief synopsis of what's on the video for those of us who are unable to view it? Purty please? ;)

Pics of Lisa and music as a tribute type thing. It gives the details of her case and contact info. etc.

strach304
05-10-2007, 02:48 PM
While still trying to keep an open mind, (I really am leaning towards hubby having something to do with the fact that lisa is missing) I will say this...

Lets just say that Craig had nothing to do with lisa disappearing. I would say that filing for custody would be a good way to lure her home. And if she does not turn up before the hearing, and does not go to the hearing I would say he PROVED she can't come home on her own.

Now back from fantasy island...IMO he is most likely guilty as all get out. He has not admitted that to his attorney, and his attorney was probably the one to advise him to file for custody as a way to get lisa to come home.

There are several angles to that such as he wants to make it appear that he believes Lisa has run off and have LE think that. If he really had nothing to do with it or no knowledge why file for custody if she were abducted or something by a stranger and obviously unable to come home and snatch the kids from him.

Liz
05-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks, Strach! :)

I just found this:

Timeline of events in case of Lisa Stebic's disappearance
May 10, 2007

More than a week has passed since a Plainfield mother of two vanished without a trace from her home on Red Star Drive. The search continues for 37-year-old Lisa Stebic, who was reported missing May 1.

The Sun has compiled this list of key events leading up to and since Lisa Stebic's disappearance from reports published this week. Some of the entries reflect conflicting accounts of events from family, friends and authorities, which are marked in italics.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/379674,6_1_NA10_MISSING_S2.article

HesterMofet
05-10-2007, 03:18 PM
I hate to say this, but if I were a suspect in someone's disappearance and I were innocent, I still wouldn't take a polygraph. There's a reason that they are not admissible in court -- they are not totally reliable. Sociopaths who are guilty of crimes can pass them and those who "feel responsible", even if innocent of the crime, can come across as guilty.

The general public sees "he wouldn't take a polygraph" and immediately think the person is guilty, when it might not be so.

That being said, there's enough other hinky behavior here to make me think that the husband's got involvement in this.

strach304
05-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks Liz.

MIO
05-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Upon seeing this on the news today, (I've been working alot of hours lately) I was just floored! Back in February Shelly Misinay went "missing". The day following her "leaving" her husband filed for custody of the kids. That didn't make a lick of sense to me. They were still married and living together, yet during this time when he should have been concentrating on finding his wife, he instead filed for custody of their two children. The reason he gave was EXACTLY the same reason Lisa's husband gave, in case she returned and tried to take the kids from him. She left with her cell phone, on foot. Same as Shelly. Shelly's husband also made up some story about someone picking her up. Shelly was found 18 days later less than a mile from their home sitting in a cemetary. The death was ruled a suicide because she was loaded with pain killers, none of them hers, and had "suicide letters" on her. Her case remains unsolved, despite the suicide ruling. The two cases are so identical, but it just makes me cry that Shelly's story didn't make national news. I wonder if Greta would be interested in looking into this case which is becoming cold. I apologize for rambling, but Shelly's kids are still with the husband, Shelly would never have left her kids in his care. She is not resting in peace, and won't until justice is served.

Liz
05-10-2007, 05:13 PM
YW, strach! :)

I hate to say this, but if I were a suspect in someone's disappearance and I were innocent, I still wouldn't take a polygraph. There's a reason that they are not admissible in court -- they are not totally reliable. Sociopaths who are guilty of crimes can pass them and those who "feel responsible", even if innocent of the crime, can come across as guilty.

The general public sees "he wouldn't take a polygraph" and immediately think the person is guilty, when it might not be so.

That being said, there's enough other hinky behavior here to make me think that the husband's got involvement in this.

I pretty much agree with what you stated, but I would still like to see Craig take the polygraph.

If people are already looking at him as being guilty (and he stated he feels the police are), what harm could it do? If he fails it, I don't think he will look any guiltier than he does by refusing to take it. Imo, refusing only makes it appear as if he's got something to hide. (Yet, I can still understand him not wanting to take it. I know - :crazy: )

Something that gets my hinky meter going, is that (If I'm not mistaken) on Tuesday morning, just as normal, he sends the kids off to school (who I would think would be very concerned about their mother not being at home as she normally was, to go to work as she always did). Yet Craig, who admittedly had not spoken more than 5 words to her in 5 months, is sooo concerned (even though one of the reports stated Lisa had stayed out all night, once in December) that he felt the necessity to stay home from work. Why?

I question why he would be that concerned, if she had stayed out all night once before, that he would not go into work, as usual.

MIO
05-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Have they checked her cell phone to see if any calls have been made to or from since the time she went missing? I was glad to see that the judge denied the husband custody of the kids, he must think something is fishy too. I know alot of moms that work at their kid's school in the cafeteria. These moms do this at a very low rate of pay, but it is because they want to have the same schedules as their kids. They are able to help with homework, driving them places, all in all very involved, devoted moms. I do not know Lisa, but she doesn't strike me as someone who would leave her kids. Most women will not leave their kids. Does anyone know if the husband attended the prayer vigil?

FactsareFacts
05-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Have they checked her cell phone to see if any calls have been made to or from since the time she went missing? I was glad to see that the judge denied the husband custody of the kids, he must think something is fishy too. I know alot of moms that work at their kid's school in the cafeteria. These moms do this at a very low rate of pay, but it is because they want to have the same schedules as their kids. They are able to help with homework, driving them places, all in all very involved, devoted moms. I do not know Lisa, but she doesn't strike me as someone who would leave her kids. Most women will not leave their kids. Does anyone know if the husband attended the prayer vigil?

Her cell phone has not been used since she went missing they said and credit cards and bank cards have not been used either. Her husband attended the vigil last night with his divorce attorney. Lisa's family was all dressed up but Craig was wearing jeans and a golf shirt.

MIO
05-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Her cell phone has not been used since she went missing they said and credit cards and bank cards have not been used either. Her husband attended the vigil last night with his divorce attorney. Lisa's family was all dressed up but Craig was wearing jeans and a golf shirt.

When Shelly Misinay went "missing", her husband said she left with her cell phone. It had not been used either, actually starting 2 days before she went "missing". He had not called her even once. If Lisa's husband hasn't even tried calling her once, it is because the cell phone is either at their house, in his possession, or he ditched it somewhere. Shelly's phone was not found on her. Shelly's husband attended the last 5 minutes of her vigil, wearing jeans and a flannel shirt and wearing a knit hat. Very similar cases. What did Craig need his attorney for at the vigil?

HesterMofet
05-10-2007, 07:47 PM

Now I wouldn't say the clothes were an indication of anything. My husband wears only jeans and polos unless there is a funeral or a job interview. :)

Can they check to see if there were incoming calls on her cell? I mean, could they look to see if the husband had tried to call her on the cell and left messages? I would think that was very telling if there were no calls from him on there. If my husband were missing, I'd be calling and texting like mad wondering where he was. I know that's no evidence that he didn't do it, but it would certainly raise my suspicions if he never tried to call.

My mom was lucky enough to be a lunch lady while I was in school. I was glad to be able to have my mom home with me. Whomever said lunch ladies are usually devoted to their children is true.

strach304
05-10-2007, 08:01 PM
YW, strach! :)

I pretty much agree with what you stated, but I would still like to see Craig take the polygraph.

If people are already looking at him as being guilty (and he stated he feels the police are), what harm could it do? If he fails it, I don't think he will look any guiltier than he does by refusing to take it. Imo, refusing only makes it appear as if he's got something to hide. (Yet, I can still understand him not wanting to take it. I know - :crazy: )

Something that gets my hinky meter going, is that (If I'm not mistaken) on Tuesday morning, just as normal, he sends the kids off to school (who I would think would be very concerned about their mother not being at home as she normally was, to go to work as she always did). Yet Craig, who admittedly had not spoken more than 5 words to her in 5 months, is sooo concerned (even though one of the reports stated Lisa had stayed out all night, once in December) that he felt the necessity to stay home from work. Why?

I question why he would be that concerned, if she had stayed out all night once before, that he would not go into work, as usual.

Liz, where did you see that he stayed home on Tuesday? I ask because I have wanted to know that and haven't seen it reported. That makes a big difference in when he may have disposed of her body if he did kill her. Seems like work called her house maybe to report to Craig she hadn't come to work so he reported it to police at 10:00 am?

strach304
05-10-2007, 08:05 PM
HesterMofet, the incoming calls are a good idea. He should've tried that first before calling LE so we'll see I guess. LE can get that info.

Betsy
05-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Does her family live nearby? I would think he would have called them first, or maybe her best friend first, before assuming she was "missing"...How about hospitals?

CW
05-10-2007, 10:52 PM
I hate to say but after watching Nancy Grace tonight I'm no longer keeping a open mind regarding Craig. The police said the case has come to a stand still because he will NOT corporate with police nor will he allow the police to question the children. My hinky meter just blow off the board.

CW
05-10-2007, 10:56 PM
The next day that Lisa was missing Criag asked the neighbors if they had seen his wife and they had not and they are the one's that called the police not Craig.

CW
05-10-2007, 10:59 PM
I will continue checking for Nancy Graces transcripts of tonights show. May 10th and I will post the transcripts and the link as soon as they are posted on cnn headline news.

Taximom
05-10-2007, 11:46 PM
I hate to say but after watching Nancy Grace tonight I'm no longer keeping a open mind regarding Craig. The police said the case has come to a stand still because he will NOT corporate with police nor will he allow the police to question the children. My hinky meter just blow off the board.

I'm with you, WindChime.

My hinky meter is tired of going off. :(

strach304
05-11-2007, 12:00 AM
I think he co-operated just long enough to give LE what he wanted them to have. He didn't shoot her so no problems with handing over the guns. The children probably backed up his story that she was home and went out while they were at the store. He gladly handed over the computer and made sure he told them about the ad he says she placed.

I think someone made him aware that his stories aren't sounding very credible and could come back to haunt him. The way the phoney jerk has been acting I don't think he figured out on his own that noone believes him.

strach304
05-11-2007, 12:01 AM
I will continue checking for Nancy Graces transcripts of tonights show. May 10th and I will post the transcripts and the link as soon as they are posted on cnn headline news.

Thanks. :)

Taximom
05-11-2007, 12:06 AM
I think he co-operated just long enough to give LE what he wanted them to have. He didn't shoot her so no problems with handing over the guns. The children probably backed up his story that she was home and went out while they were at the store. He gladly handed over the computer and made sure he told them about the ad he says she placed.

I think someone made him aware that his stories aren't sounding very credible and could come back to haunt him. The way the phoney jerk has been acting I don't think he figured out on his own that noone believes him.

Strach, I think you are spot on.

I also wonder if the children really saw their mom, or if he told them "mom's laying down in the bedroom (or whatever) and doesn't want to be disturbed-go buy some candy."

Can someone here from around that area explain where they think the children might have been sent (I'm assuming by walking) to get candy? I wonder how long that trip would take?

Some Mother's Day this is going to be for those children...

CW
05-11-2007, 12:13 AM
I have been asked by a few members about getting Lisa Stebic own forum up and going I'm not going to promise but I'm working on trying to get our own forum.

Liz
05-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Hey Strach - I just saw your post and I'll try to find the article!

CW
05-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Nancy Grace's May 10th, 07 Transcripts.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: In the Chicago suburbs of Painfield (ph), Illinois, 37-year-old mom Lisa Stebic reportedly heads out for a routine jog and hasn`t been seen since. Friends and family believe something is very wrong, saying the devoted mother of two, popular in the community, would not leave her 10-year-old and 12-year-old behind. A multi-law enforcement team, including Painfield police, force (ph) reserve officers and the fire department, search nearby Lake Brunwed (ph) and the shoreline for clues.

Stebic`s estranged husband, the last person to reportedly see her before she vanishes, not only refusing a polygraph but files an emergency motion for custody of the two kids. And it`s all just 10 days after their mother goes missing.
Let`s switch gears. I want to tell you about a search for a missing mom out of upscale Chicago suburbs. Take a listen.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

JEAN CASAREZ, COURT TV: April 30th was the last time that she was seen, and she works at a school cafeteria. So she reported for work that day. They saw her. Her husband is the last one that says he saw her late in the afternoon on April 3rd. He said that she normally would leave in the evening to go do exercise. She`d come back 10:30 or 11:00. She was never seen again. Her children, her two children, have the same story that the father has, that the last time they saw the mother was late that afternoon. Her cell phone and credit cards, they haven`t been used since that April 30th date.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Tonight, the updates. Apparently, local waterways are being searched for the body of this young mom. According to her husband, she went jogging and has never been seen since. She leaves behind two young children. Family and friends say no way would she leave, leaving her children behind.

Also tonight, the husband files an emergency motion for sole custody. It sounds like he`s not expecting her to walk through the front door.

Out to you, Michele Fiore with WBBM NewsRadio 780, what`s happening?

MICHELE FIORE, REPORTER: Hi, Nancy. Well, here`s the deal tonight. Craig Stebic`s attorney, Dion Davi, did file that emergency petition in Will County court today, actually yesterday. He`s seeking temporary sole custody of their two children, 10 and 12 years old.

Craig`s attorney, Dion Davi, has claimed that, if Lisa is out there alive and well, that she may try to sneak back home and leave with the kids. And we did obtain a copy of that petition today, and I will read from it right now. Quote, "Craig Stebic is the fit and proper person to have the temporary sole, physical, and legal custody of the minor children of the parties."

The judge did decide that it was not an emergency, as Stebic`s attorney had claimed. He moved the issue to a hearing on -- I believe it`s May 22nd. I did speak with Lisa`s divorce attorney tonight, as well, Glenn Kahn. He tells me that he will be filing a response on Tuesday objecting to the petition. He called it unnecessary at this time, and he stressed that there are no allegations that the children are in danger.

Kahn says this is a woman whose story has gone nationwide, that people everywhere are looking for Lisa Stebic. So for her to be able to do such a thing as to walk down the street and pick up her kids is just plain, old ridiculous to even think about.

GRACE: You know, it doesn`t make sense. This mom has been missing now day 10, and instead of being out searching for her, the husband files an emergency motion for sole custody. It doesn`t even make sense.

Let`s unleash the lawyers, Susan Moss, Allison Gilman, Anne Bremner. To you, Susan Moss.

SUSAN MOSS, FAMILY LAW ATTORNEY: The reason why he probably is doing this is because he wants to get into court before mom`s family does. Once more evidence comes out, Dad may be the primary suspect. And if that happens, Mom`s family is going to have good cause to come in to say that they should be the temporary custodial parents of these children.

None of this case makes sense. These people are living in -- going through a very contested divorce. They`re living in the same house. Can you imagine the anger? Can you imagine the aggression? Could you imagine the tension? Something might have popped, and that might have led to the ultimate murder of this mother.

GRACE: To you, Anne Bremner, have you ever seen in a missing person case the remaining spouse file for sole custody? I`ve never seen anything like it.

ANNE BREMNER, TRIAL ATTORNEY: No. It`s totally surprising. But there`s two things. You never say never, but never say always. We can`t say it`s always the husband. And I`ll tell you, Nancy, something like this to me, as a defense lawyer, I would argue it shows that he simply is worried about the kids and he wasn`t involved.

GRACE: But worried about what, Allison Gilman? Worried about what? She`s missing.

ALLISON GILMAN, DEFENSE ATTORNEY: I agree with you, Nancy. I mean, coming from both the criminal defense side and the family side, you file the emergency motion and, being a prosecutor, I`d be like, "Well, obviously he doesn`t really care about her and he really is trying -- this is motive. This is the reason that he`s filing it, to gain an advantage, and that she`s coming home, and he thinks she`s coming home."
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0705/10/ng.01.html

CW
05-11-2007, 12:29 AM
ED MILLER, REPORTER, "AMERICA`S MOST WANTED": Nancy, my sources tell me, actually, tonight that this investigation has hit a dead end, that the investigation is being severely hampered by Craig Stebic, that he refuses to answer even the most basic of questions. He refuses to let the kids talk to the cops. He is hiding behind the attorney and basically everything has come to a dead end. He has refused to take a polygraph test.
This is why I am no longer staying opened minded. As I posted above my hinky meter just went off the board. This man know's what happened to his wife. IMO

CW
05-11-2007, 12:33 AM
GRACE: Now that`s a bombshell, not only refusing to allow the children to be questioned by police, they could have been some of the last eyewitnesses to see her and establish a timeline, Ed.

MILLER: Absolutely. Absolutely. Instead of taking the position, "Oh, my gosh, Officer, come on in the front door. What can I do to help? My wife is missing, the mother of my children. What can I do to help?" He`s hiding behind an attorney.

The timeline is very important. I`m so glad you mentioned it, because the children are the last to have seen her at about 3:00 that afternoon. That`s a confirmed sighting. The children are 10 and 12. They`re old enough to know the difference between seeing Mommy and not seeing Mommy at a right time. OK, now we have a time at 3:00.

But she was never reported missing until the following day by a neighbor when the husband said, "Hey, have you seen my wife?" That prompted the neighbor to call the police.

Liz
05-11-2007, 12:35 AM
Liz, where did you see that he stayed home on Tuesday? I ask because I have wanted to know that and haven't seen it reported. That makes a big difference in when he may have disposed of her body if he did kill her. Seems like work called her house maybe to report to Craig she hadn't come to work so he reported it to police at 10:00 am?

Okay Strach, I found it. This was posted yesterday (Wed, May 9th), my post #81, and the article is dated May 9th. I hope I didn't read too much into it, but I took it to mean he hasn't been to work since Lisa's disappearance, which was Monday night. I'd be interested in knowing if you perceive it to say the same, or not.

Source:

Taximom
05-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Oh, Lord, I've heard it all now. There's a citywide search on for Lisa, and Craig thinks she's going to sneak back to the home and take the children?! His wife is MISSING and all he can think about is getting sole custody of the children?!!!

"Craig`s attorney, Dion Davi, has claimed that, if Lisa is out there alive and well, that she may try to sneak back home and leave with the kids. And we did obtain a copy of that petition today, and I will read from it right now. Quote, "Craig Stebic is the fit and proper person to have the temporary sole, physical, and legal custody of the minor children of the parties."
:loser:

Thanks, WindChime! :blowkiss:

CW
05-11-2007, 12:51 AM
Taximom I total agree with you. This man is guilty as sin IMO. Liz I take it as meaning that he didn't go to work on Tuesday May 1st because of the articles that I've read that on Tuesday he asked the neighbors that morning if they had seen Lisa and they said they hadn't and then called the police.

FactsareFacts
05-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Oh, Lord, I've heard it all now. There's a citywide search on for Lisa, and Craig thinks she's going to sneak back to the home and take the children?! His wife is MISSING and all he can think about is getting sole custody of the children?!!!

"Craig`s attorney, Dion Davi, has claimed that, if Lisa is out there alive and well, that she may try to sneak back home and leave with the kids. And we did obtain a copy of that petition today, and I will read from it right now. Quote, "Craig Stebic is the fit and proper person to have the temporary sole, physical, and legal custody of the minor children of the parties."
:loser:

Thanks, WindChime! :blowkiss:

If she wanted to steal the kids don't you think she would have left with them at 3pm when they came home? He gets home around 5:40pm so she could have been gone with them. Thats about the dumbest thing I have heard of yet.:doh:

strach304
05-11-2007, 01:28 AM
Taximom, he was supposed to have given them money for candy at walgreen. Some area posters say that is one mile from their house and the kids rode their bikes there.

Liz, thanks I had read that article before and didn't notice it. He hasn't been to work since her disappearance, she disappeared on Monday. Reported missing on Tuesday so I guess that's what I thought it meant. I think that's important in combination with his "distraught demeanor". There's obviously no love lost between these two yet he's boo hooing and in front of the children no less. Next he'll be telling us he didn't go to work because he was worried about her not coming home.

strach304
05-11-2007, 01:30 AM
If she wanted to steal the kids don't you think she would have left with them at 3pm when they came home? He gets home around 5:40pm so she could have been gone with them. Thats about the dumbest thing I have heard of yet.:doh:

How about the filing for custody to try and flush her out of wherever she's hiding? Close call huh?

Liz
05-11-2007, 01:43 AM
Authorities canvass nearby Lake Renwick
May 10, 2007

PLAINFIELD -- Local law enforcement and emergency personnel conducted another search Thursday morning for Lisa Stebic, the Plainfield woman who has been missing for 10 days.

~snip~

Officials at Lake Renwick said nothing has been found at the lake so far, but more searches are planned.

~snip~

Investigators tried to locate her by tracking her cell phone, which was a pay-per-minute phone, to no avail, Eiting said. Neither her phone nor her purse have been found.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/news/380379,4_1_JO10_SEARCH_S1.article

Clueless here but ... aren't those the same type phones that I've heard that the terrorist cells buy because they are harder to track?

I've had this feeling all along that her phone and her purse are locked in the trunk of her car. I just pray she isn't in there along with them!

Bobbisangel
05-11-2007, 05:31 AM
I wonder if he had any intention of calling LE. Lisa left late in the afternoon to go jogging. She doesn't return home....the next day he goes to the neighbors to ask the neighbor if she had seen Lisa. The neighbor said that she hadn't and then SHE called LE. Scott Peterson also went to the neighbors asking if they had seen Laci. This guy has tried to cover his butt
and is trying to make himself look good.

The husband could have murdered Lisa while the kids were at the store and then put her body in the car trunk. He probably drove her body to where ever he left it after the kids were in bed asleep.

CW
05-11-2007, 05:57 AM
I wonder that myself I bet he never thought that when he asked the neighbors that Tuesday morning if they had seen Lisa he never dreamed that they would go in and call the police.

CW
05-11-2007, 06:01 AM
I know one of the first questions I'd ask the oldest child if I were LE and got a second chance to talk to the children,my question would be does your daddy or mommy watch alot of news on T.V? Because from the way things are going it's like he's followed some case's of where the husband has killed the wife and acted like she had just went missing. Craig has sure covered his tracks so far pretty darn good. IMO where he's screwed up is by having his attorney file the custody motion while his wife is missing.

MIO
05-11-2007, 07:04 AM
Craig is a guilty as sin. Filing for custody of the kids is just a smoke screen. He wants people to make him believe that his wife is the bad one here. In the case of Shelly Misinay, her husband did the same thing. He didn't take the polygraph either, nor would he cooperate witht he police. Nor were his kids questioned. I don't care if you are in the process of a divorce, you would still try to help. Craig's attorney obviously knows Craig did it too, otherwise he wouldn't even have considered filing for custody. Plus his attorney would encourage him to help with the investigation, not hinder it. GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY!!! These husbands who murder their wives are the most selfish, stupid cowards on the planet. Another mom will be found dead. Two more kids will grow up without a mother. Let's just pray they come up with enough hard evidence to arrest and convict. Shelly Misinay didn't get that lucky, so I am really hoping Lisa does.

Taximom
05-11-2007, 09:14 AM
If he's so afraid that she'll sneak back into town and take the kids, then he should be keeping them home from school as well. (sarcasm intended)

What an idiot!

Strach, thanks for the "candy" info. I must have missed a page or something here.

Yep. Here we go again.

TGIRecovered
05-11-2007, 09:22 AM

(http://websleuths.com/forums/member.php?u=9919)TGIRecovered (http://websleuths.com/forums/member.php?u=9919) http://websleuths.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_1479429", true);

At least the kids are able to talk with social workers while they are at school. They may have information that doesn't seem strange to them but in reality is a valuable clue for LE. I know that my kids the same ages could give LE plenty of info about goings on in our home if I were missing! It is rare that my husband and I get to have an un-interrupted conversation, much less a disagreement, without one of them piping in with a question or offering their own opinion. Those little darlin's can be very annoying sometimes! #
(http://websleuths.com/forums/member.php?u=9919)92 (http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1479493&postcount=92) http://websleuths.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif (http://websleuths.com/forums/report.php?p=1479493)
http://websleuths.com/forums/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 05-09-2007, 07:18 PM

(http://websleuths.com/forums/member.php?u=3040)Liz (http://websleuths.com/forums/member.php?u=3040) http://websleuths.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_1479493", true);

My thoughts exactly, TGI, regarding the kids going to school and the lawyer. I just hope a certain someone isn't reading here and decides the kids are now too traumatized to continue to attend school.
(http://websleuths.com/forums/member.php?u=3040)

Maybe Liz had a good hunch about him reading here. Could be that he questioned the kids about their talks with the social workers after they came home from school. LE said on NG that they had yet to question the children, but maybe LE can now get some helpful info from the SW.

Susan

susan1215
05-11-2007, 09:51 AM
A reporter is talking to Craig at the door of his home. He said his lawyer said not to take a polograph although he says he wants to and he said his lawyer also said not to talk about the case. He should be talking to the press, organizing searches and trying to get the word out about his missing wife not hiding in his house behind his lawyer.

This is exactly the way Scott Peterson acted when his wife was missing. These guys don't want to be in the public eye because of the questions they will be asked.

MIO
05-11-2007, 10:09 AM
This is exactly the way Scott Peterson acted when his wife was missing. These guys don't want to be in the public eye because of the questions they will be asked.[/QUOTE]

You are exactly right. If I went missing, truly missing, my husband would be on every news channel possible! There would be tears, there would be desperation! There would be pleas from the community! He would be frantic wondering what who was going to cook his dinner that night with me gone! ( I couldn't resist that!)

This man doesn't appear to care one bit about his wife, because he knows darn well where he put her. I don't care what the problems may be, these husbands have no reason to kill.

j2mirish
05-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Strach, I think you are spot on.

I also wonder if the children really saw their mom, or if he told them "mom's laying down in the bedroom (or whatever) and doesn't want to be disturbed-go buy some candy."

Can someone here from around that area explain where they think the children might have been sent (I'm assuming by walking) to get candy? I wonder how long that trip would take?

Some Mother's Day this is going to be for those children...
I have wondered about the "candy thing" too tm-- how conveniant? is this something the kids did often, or is this trip clear out of the blue for conveniance?

SailorMoon
05-11-2007, 10:34 AM
ED MILLER, REPORTER, "AMERICA`S MOST WANTED": Nancy, my sources tell me, actually, tonight that this investigation has hit a dead end, that the investigation is being severely hampered by Craig Stebic, that he refuses to answer even the most basic of questions. He refuses to let the kids talk to the cops. He is hiding behind the attorney and basically everything has come to a dead end. He has refused to take a polygraph test.
This is why I am no longer staying opened minded. As I posted above my hinky meter just went off the board. This man know's what happened to his wife. IMO

And those poor kids heard something or saw something.....I guarantee it. The husband can't hide behind his tissue and his lawyer forever. IMO as well.

FactsareFacts
05-11-2007, 10:45 AM
And those poor kids heard something or saw something.....I guarantee it. The husband can't hide behind his tissue and his lawyer forever. IMO as well.

That tissue that is in his hand 24/7 is driving me nuts!!!! No tears, but in every video clip whether he is talking while sitting at the table, opening the door to speak to a reporter, at the vigil with his divorce attorney by his side or walking sourrounded by camera's there is a tissue in his hand. It is probably the same damn one since I haven't seen one tear. :mad:

Seahorseladydi
05-11-2007, 11:20 AM
I am so not on the fence with this one... I have fallen to the side that he did something with her.... UGH! BASTARD! oops can I say that? lol.....

I posted a message on the site.... sad how there are so many people that have nothing good to say.... I just pray she comes home to her kids.. however that may be......

Bless her and her family!

fran
05-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Just some rambling thoughts...............

MOTIVE;..........In the divorce papers, Lisa was seeking for main custody of the kids and asking for child support AND alimony, while he said there was no need for 'maintenance support,' or whatever you call it. In other words, he didn't want to pay alimony.

IMHO, by him filing for sole custody of the kids, this would mean IF she were to come back, which I highly doubt, he would already have CUSTODY, albeit temporary. OR...............it would give him SOLE discretion on if LE could talk to the kids.

One of the neighbors said that they usually saw Lisa leave for the gym every day, about 4:00. They did NOT see Lisa leave that Monday. PLUS, the husband said she left about 6:15.

LE needs to get a SEARCH WARRANT...........NOW! They need to check the house and the car and, or, cars.

It would be interesting to learn if when he gave the $$ to the kids to run and get candy, IF they actually saw mom, or did they assume she was there because they hadn't seen her leave for the gym yet?

I'd be interested on what time the husband got off work that day.

They're getting a divorce, haven't spoken 5 words since October (yeah, sure:liar: ) and he's so distraught he can't go to work!

Give me a break!

Sorry, IMHO, the guy did it and he knows it! :(

I'm not surprised Lisa never told her family about the abuse. Thank goodness she told someone though. It's out there now and he can't deny it!:loser: IMHO, that's why, when he went to the neighbors asking if they'd seen his wife they called to report her missing. They knew...............

Apparently, he's been watching many of these missing wife cases and seen so many of these guys get away with it.

He forgot Rule #1IF someone other than the spouse is the first to report the person missing, they are most likely involved in the disappearance!

Guess he didn't learn anything from the Peterson trial.:behindbar

JMHO
fran

Liz
05-11-2007, 12:20 PM
I have wondered about the "candy thing" too tm-- how conveniant? is this something the kids did often, or is this trip clear out of the blue for conveniance?

I read 2-3 days ago on the family website for Lisa (http://findlisastebic.com) that Lisa would never have allowed those children to go to the store on their bicycles like that, by themselves. The poster said it was two miles away and I think it was mentioned there was a a busy street or two to cross.

I can't vouch for this info to be true facts, only the fact that I did read it there. Maybe one of our Chi-town area posters can address the proximity of the closest store (that sells candy) to the Stebic home.

As to TGI mentioning my hunch that Craig might read here --- I would bet dollars to donuts he does! I posted about websleuths on the family site the day after it went up. I've also seen a couple other posts by others mentioning for people to come to websleuths to post their suspicions, etc, instead of posting them there.

Liz
05-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Don't hold back, Fran .... tell us how you really feel! :D

BTW, GREAT post! :clap:

gidget641
05-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Local Fox news just reported that the family will be holding a press conf. at around 2PM (Central time) this afternoon. Since she has not been found I am going to assume they will be asking for people to come out tomorrow to help in the search.

will look for link to the new story and post

PrayersForMaura
05-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Local Fox news just reported that the family will be holding a press conf. at around 2PM (Central time) this afternoon. Since she has not been found I am going to assume they will be asking for people to come out tomorrow to help in the search.

Is it possible she has been found and they are keeping it hush hush until the press conference?

gidget641
05-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Is it possible she has been found and they are keeping it hush hush until the press conference?

Naw I don't think so because the live shot that they had was of the police and fire departments from Naperville and the surrounding areas still diving in the four ponds in the area.

And I can not find the story on the chicago fox news web site! :banghead:
But that could be that the news is still being broadcast and some stations do not update until after the program ends. I will check again later.

CW
05-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Fran I totally agree with your post and all the other members post as well. My brother in law lives less then 2 miles from Lisa's family home and there is
so much traffic on the roads and lots of malls and restaurants and fast food places there is no way in heck that I'd let my children on those roads on a bike.

strach304
05-11-2007, 02:52 PM
I wonder that myself I bet he never thought that when he asked the neighbors that Tuesday morning if they had seen Lisa he never dreamed that they would go in and call the police.

Or maybe that is what he wanted. Remember how Scott Peterson sounded the alarm? I'm wondering what else he told the neighbor in addition to that such as work calling and saying she didn't make it in? Then I can certainly see the neighbor becoming concerned.

fran
05-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Don't hold back, Fran .... tell us how you really feel! :D

BTW, GREAT post! :clap:

LOL, was I that obvious?:D

Thanks,
fran

PS.......I so hope they find her. Without a body, it's much harder to prove a crime. But............they need a SEARCH WARRANT NOW!!! Probable cause, because she's MISSING. She's not the type of person to leave her kids. NO judge would deny a SW request at this place and time, IMHO....fran

fran
05-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Or maybe that is what he wanted. Remember how Scott Peterson sounded the alarm? I'm wondering what else he told the neighbor in addition to that such as work calling and saying she didn't make it in? Then I can certainly see the neighbor becoming concerned.

The guy is a pipe fitter. What was he doing home at 10:00 in the morning? That type of job usually starts early, like 6:00-6:30 A.M. and get home early too, like get off work at 3 and home by 4. That, IMHO, was why she usually left for the gym at 4:00.

JMHO
fran

strach304
05-11-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm betting dollars to donuts he's counting on the body not being found and no useful forensics in the home that would indicate a murder.

Seahorseladydi
05-11-2007, 04:00 PM
The guy is a pipe fitter. What was he doing home at 10:00 in the morning? That type of job usually starts early, like 6:00-6:30 A.M. and get home early too, like get off work at 3 and home by 4. That, IMHO, was why she usually left for the gym at 4:00.

JMHO
fran

Fran I LOVE your posts! Really gets me thinking!!!! THANK YOU!

this is very true... a pipe fitter would usually work from 5 or 6 till 2 to 4. I can see how if he did get off at 3 or 4 why she would leave around 4 ...... she didn't want to be there when he got home! :doh:

strach304
05-11-2007, 05:00 PM

JMHO
fran

That's why I questioned Liz about that report saying he was home Tuesday. If co-workers called because she didn't show up for work, who did they call? If it was Craig why was he home? Then he starts asking neighbors and I'd also like to know if he made any calls looking for her and to who and when.

Utopia
05-11-2007, 05:01 PM

Any word on the press conference yet? It should be 4pm there now right? (I'm in the UK and its 10pm here)

Thanks in advance!

Utopia

fran
05-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Fran I LOVE your posts! Really gets me thinking!!!! THANK YOU!

this is very true... a pipe fitter would usually work from 5 or 6 till 2 to 4. I can see how if he did get off at 3 or 4 why she would leave around 4 ...... she didn't want to be there when he got home! :doh:

Thank you Seahorseladydi...:blushing:

I live in So California. I used to start work at 7:15 A.M. in downtown L.A. It was an office job, but they were trying to stagger the rush hour in L.A., so companies were trying to get away from the 8 to 4 and 9 to 5.

Now, our afternoon rush hour starts about 3:00. Why? Because many people get off early shift, while others are on their way to work for the late shift. I know that from my husband being in charge of a manufacturing business. LOL, that's why he'd wait until the dust cleared so he missed all the traffic. He'd go in at 10:00. :D ....But his first shift started at 6:00 A.M. and got off at 3:00, they had an hour lunch.

A manual job, such as a pipefitter, construction worker, or manufacturing guy, would have an early start. I hope LE is looking into that aspect. Especially in light of what the neighbor said that she USUALLY left at 4:00, but didn't that day.

See, that's another thing these guys just don't get. They always think they're so smart and can fool people, like SP thought he could just make stuff up and everyone would believe him because he'd been allowed to get by with lies all his life. But,..........when circumstances start mounting up and coincidences start showing up, ..............like they say, "There is no such thing as a 'coincidence,' when it comes to murder." :bang:

JMHO
fran

PS.....I would love for Lisa to show up out of the clear blue. But honestly, it doesn't look too good from here, imo...........fran

fran
05-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Any word on the press conference yet? It should be 4pm there now right? (I'm in the UK and its 10pm here)

Thanks in advance!

Utopia

I'm not sure what time zone they're in. It's 2:16 P.M. where I'm at on the West Coast. Here's the latest from Yahoo though. It's from 11 A.M. today.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_131114624.html

(CBS) PLAINFIELD, Ill. Divers from 10 area fire departments Friday morning were scouring retention ponds in Plainfield as the search for Lisa Stebic intensifies.

..........................snip.................... ....

As CBS 2 West Suburban Bureau Chief Mike Puccinelli reports, 44 divers and 33 land-based rescue workers were searching four ponds. They began with 10 searchers in wet suits who held onto ropes and searched the perimeters of the ponds, then added other divers who went deeper.

The deep divers had to search primarily by sense of touch, since visibility was near zero.

Two additional ponds may be searched before divers finish up, but police want them to be done by the time the Stebics' two children get home from school.

..........................more at link..........................

IndyLaw
05-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Chicago is in the Central time zone. It's almost 4:30 p.m. there.

gidget641
05-11-2007, 05:44 PM
I have not seen anything yet. At 2 I was busy with my teething toddler so I did not have Fox on then.

I will watch the 5pm news to see if they say anything.

gidget641
05-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Ok the press conf. from the family was to announce a new 3 day effort called "Bring Lisa home for Mother's day"

The 5pm news said that nothing was found after 4 hours of searching the ponds by the Stebic home.

Liz
05-11-2007, 06:07 PM
I don't recall reading or hearing anything about what time Craig normally went in to work. But I do recall reading that he usually got home around 6. But, 5:50 is sticking out my memory for some reason.

The 5:50 may be the time it was reported he arrived home on Monday, but I can't say for certain.

Also, for all we know, he could have regularly put in overtime hours.

From what I've read about that area, IF Craig worked in Chicago proper, that commute to and from their home (Plainfield) could be quite a bear (I'd guess at least about an hour each way).

I'm unfamiliar with the area but I know a little because I'd been reading quite a bit about the area on the City-Data forum, because my DS was planning a move to the area, and was looking at Plainfield as one of the potential future home choices.

Hoping one of our Chicago area locals will chime in on this. :)

gidget641
05-11-2007, 06:11 PM
From what I've read about that area, IF Craig worked in Chicago proper, that commute to and from their home (Plainfield) could be quite a bear (I'd guess at least about an hour each way). :)

A bear is putting it mildly since just about every highway in this state always has some sort of construction going on. On a good day I would guess that the commute is at least an hour if not an hour and a half. Figure in any construction, Accidents (cuz Illinois drivers basically SUCK) and it could be longer.

Utopia
05-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Ok the press conf. from the family was to announce a new 3 day effort called "Bring Lisa home for Mother's day"

The 5pm news said that nothing was found after 4 hours of searching the ponds by the Stebic home.

Thanks gidget. I forgot about Mother's Day - it was a couple of months ago here in the UK and I had to hunt around for a card the other day to send to my mother in Canada. (I managed to get one thanks to a clerk who dug out samples for me). Sorry, OT - those poor kids. I'll be thinking of them on Sunday.

I hope your little one is feeling better.:D (toothy smile)

Utopia

Liz
05-11-2007, 06:32 PM
A bear is putting it mildly since just about every highway in this state always has some sort of construction going on. On a good day I would guess that the commute is at least an hour if not an hour and a half. Figure in any construction, Accidents (cuz Illinois drivers basically SUCK) and it could be longer.

I came back online and saw that part of your post I bolded, and for some reason I got a big chuckle out of it.

Sonny was driving around Chicago a couple weekends ago and was saying how much the people there liked to honk. He said he'd gotten honked at three times in a 2-block area, for absolutey no reason. lol!

Thanks for your post, Gidget! :)

HesterMofet
05-11-2007, 06:49 PM
They say there are two seasons in Illinois -- winter and highway construction.
If he could get from Chicago to Plainfield in an hour during rush, then he is Superman. I'm guessing he worked a little more locally.

Chicago rush hour starts about 5:30 am and goes to about 9:30 am and then starts back up again about 2:00 pm. On a Friday or the day before a holiday, forget it -- it's rush all day.

And, yes, many people here seem to drive like a (fill in the blank).

fran
05-11-2007, 07:16 PM
:laugh: I liked that, 'winter and highway construction.'

They say there are two seasons in Illinois -- winter and highway construction.
If he could get from Chicago to Plainfield in an hour during rush, then he is Superman. I'm guessing he worked a little more locally.

Chicago rush hour starts about 5:30 am and goes to about 9:30 am and then starts back up again about 2:00 pm. On a Friday or the day before a holiday, forget it -- it's rush all day.

And, yes, many people here seem to drive like a (fill in the blank).

I always thought Californians were blamed for being the worst drivers. :D

I know they don't know how to drive in the rain!! They still will pass you doing 75-80, even if you can't see out of the windshield going 50 and the windshield wipers are going full speed. When it rains here, you can bet the accident rate quadruples, or more. :(

OK, OnTopic, LOL, I still think there's something fishy about when Lisa DID NOT go to the gym that night. The neighbor said she normally left at 4:00, her husband said she left at 6:15 that night. Somethin's not right here. Interesting that his story has been consistantly different than everyone else's.

When HE called LE for the verbal dispute, it was because she came home late drunk, yet she says he locked her out.

He said she left for the gym at 6:15, but the neighbor said she usually left at 4:00.

SHE wanted the divorce, he filed.

She wanted alimony (worked a p/t job) and he said there was no spousal support needed.

They were in the middle of a divorce, she was afraid of him, and he can't go to work because he's too distraught????????????

He sits by the phone constantly, but doesn't answer it. okaaayyy

She's gone 10 days and he files for sole custody of the kids.

He takes his attorney to his wife's vigil.

He says he can't do a lie detector test because his attorney said not to.

He can't talk to the press because his attorney said not to.

LE says he's cooperating, yet he's not.

Craig thinks we're stooopppiiiddd!!!!!!!!:D

We're NOT S-T-U-P-I-D!!!!:cool: We have his number!!

JMHO
fran

gidget641
05-11-2007, 07:47 PM
I came back online and saw that part of your post I bolded, and for some reason I got a big chuckle out of it.

Sonny was driving around Chicago a couple weekends ago and was saying how much the people there liked to honk. He said he'd gotten honked at three times in a 2-block area, for absolutey no reason. lol!

Thanks for your post, Gidget! :)

NO LIE FOLKS I just got HONKED AT IN THE MCDONALDS DRIVE THRU 15 Min. ago. Only two cars in line me and him...and he is honking at me, WTF

strach304
05-11-2007, 07:48 PM
We know she didn't make it from her house to the school and I believe someone said it was 3.3 miles distance. If I were LE I'd be looking for a body also. It's like Clint Van Zandt said about this case, noone vanishes into thin air. Did aliens swoop her up?

strach304
05-11-2007, 07:49 PM
NO LIE FOLKS I just got HONKED AT IN THE MCDONALDS DRIVE THRU 15 Min. ago. Only two cars in line me and him...and he is honking at me, WTF

Maybe he thinks you're real cute :angel:

gidget641
05-11-2007, 07:59 PM

Good lord if that is the case...that guy should not be driving with out his corrective lenses!

JDB
05-11-2007, 08:01 PM

Come on now. He was honking because you did not move your car quick enuff:crazy:

gidget641
05-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Come on now. He was honking because you did not move your car quick enuff:crazy:

Well I guess I did not move fast enough but what does he think, I pull to window #1 throw money and them and just keep going right past window #2 without getting my order?

yeah thats a special little hobby of mine, just for kicks ya know!

I also scare old people and children LOL

Liz
05-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Gidget, just as I was about to post that maybe that's why ppl are honking at my son - because he's a good lookin', you post this :laugh:

Good lord if that is the case...that guy should not be driving with out his corrective lenses!

I'm glad you posted about your Mickey-D's honking encounter though as I'd thought perhaps my son had been embellishing a bit, or doing something to deserve being honked at. :D

I told him that maybe he ought to put on a big smile and look at the honker, as he waves wildly! :crazy:

And you scare people's children --- yeah, right!
You're a hoot, Gidget! :D

strach304
05-11-2007, 08:59 PM

Can't say that about me. I was told at the drive thru one time that the guy in front of me paid for my food, you never seen someone haul a$$ so fast. Real glad I bought a fast car too.:D

twinkiesmom
05-11-2007, 09:38 PM
<<Also, for all we know, he could have regularly put in overtime hours.

From what I've read about that area, IF Craig worked in Chicago proper, that commute to and from their home (Plainfield) could be quite a bear (I'd guess at least about an hour each way).

I'm unfamiliar with the area but I know a little because I'd been reading quite a bit about the area on the City-Data forum, because my DS was planning a move to the area, and was looking at Plainfield as one of the potential future home choices.

Hoping one of our Chicago area locals will chime in on this. >>

He works at a company in Montgomery, not Chicago. He probably works corporate type hours rather than construction type hours.

I don't know what kind of commute he has, but I'd guess 1/2 an hour looking at the map.

If Sonny's getting honked at, it's because he's not driving fast enough. We're all in a hurry. If you're not doing 75 on the Tristate, you're likely to get run over :crazy:

strach304
05-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Anyone know what route he would take to work? I'm curious about any out of the way spots he could've dumped her without being noticed or veering off his usual path. If anyone witnessed what time he went to work or saw him such and such a place at a certain time that would be considered normal he might of thought of all that and tried to stick with his regular habits and schedule so that nothing looked suspicious.

gidget641
05-12-2007, 08:09 AM
Hoping one of our Chicago area locals will chime in on this. >>

He works at a company in Montgomery, not Chicago. He probably works corporate type hours rather than construction type hours.

I don't know what kind of commute he has, but I'd guess 1/2 an hour looking at the map.

All the articles that mention his profession say he is a pipe fitter. Not that he has an administrative job at a pipe fitting company. So that leads me to believe that he is a laborer. That would mean that even if his employer is in montgomery he would very rarely have to report to the corp. office. His foreman would tell him where the jobs he was assigned to are located. Meaning his commute time would vary. Making his normal habits more difficult to pin down.

This would mean that his start and end time could vary as well. Some villages have ordinances about what time laborers can begin work. I know from living with my EX if he worked in chicago proper he started earlier and was sometimes home by 2:30 in the afternoon. If he worked in the suburbs he started more like 7 am and was home by 4:30.

Also with laborers you have to remember if there is NO work for the day you get to stay home. That happens more with small companies rather than large ones but it still happens. They way it works is if you finish up a job, you report to the foreman and he gives you the address and details of your next job. If there is not work for the next day the foreman just tells you he will call you when there is work.

Now is it possible that Craig knew that he would have Tuesday off and he picked Monday to do something to Lisa?

puglet
05-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Lisa lives in the subdivision next to mine. Craig's commute would be about 1 1/2 hours each way to downtown. My husband commutes to the city too. He would probably take the Stevenson, 55. Traffic is a bear and they are working on parts of 294 which makes it even worse.

Lisa would have to walk almost 3 miles to get to the high school. It isn't a bad walk and definitely not a bad area. The school has sent emails to parents of children who attend there asking for hlep in finding her.

To the poster who asked where he would send the kids to get candy -- there is a Walgreens drug store about 3 blocks from where they live. They would have to cross one fairly busy street, but it isn't a major street and the speed limit is 25.

We were discussing this at work yesterday and feel that the kids know something. There was a video clip showing Craig hugging the oldest daughter and the look on her face was very uncomfortable. I think the kids will eventually be the key to finding her. I also believe that he killed her and she won't be found alive.

Mama-cita
05-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Lisa lives in the subdivision next to mine. SNIPPED

We were discussing this at work yesterday and feel that the kids know something. There was a video clip showing Craig hugging the oldest daughter and the look on her face was very uncomfortable. I think the kids will eventually be the key to finding her. I also believe that he killed her and she won't be found alive.

Thank you for sharing, puglet, I hope your right, and that the kids get a chance to tell their story some how. Prayers for Lisa's family and friends, I hope they find her soon, one way or another, her parents and children and loved ones need to have closure...

twinkiesmom
05-12-2007, 11:51 AM
He doesn't work as a day laborer...he has a job in the Dial Corporation factory in Montgomery. He does not commute downtown.

CW
05-12-2007, 12:04 PM
He doesn't work as a day laborer...he has a job in the Dial Corporation factory in Montgomery. He does not commute downtown.

On all the information that I've heard is that he is a pipe fitter which alot of those kinds of jobs if I'm not mistaken are union jobs and they move around. When they finish one job they go to there union hall and they are sent to the next job if I'm wrong someone please correct me about that. But as for working at the Dial Company I've not heard anything about that.

CW
05-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Puglet thank you for that information. I agree with you 100% about the children knowing more I believe that is why he will not let the police speak with them anymore. As other members have posted he spoke to the police just enough to give them the information he wanted them to have and then he lawyered up. At first I didn't want to judge him I wanted to keep a open mind but not anymore I truly believe that he killed Lisa or know's who did.JMHO

twinkiesmom
05-12-2007, 12:12 PM
He works at the Dial Corporation in Montgomery. They manufacture bars of soap.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_130073345.html

CW
05-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Twinkiesmom ohhhh..you are ohh.so right he is a pipe fiter for the Dial company.

CW
05-12-2007, 12:22 PM
I am sorry twinkiesmom.

Craig is employed as a pipe fitter for Dial Corporation in Montgomery
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_130073345.html

CW
05-12-2007, 12:35 PM
I did a search as to how long it would take Craig leaving from their home to his job at Dial Corporation. That was the address I got for the Dial Corporation. But as twinkiesmom pointed out to me who he worked for and in the artical it says
Montgomery,IL then by looking at the map that would even be closer to his home.

Plainfield, IL 60585-7650 TO: 1800 W Hawthorne Ln
West Chicago, IL 60185-1860

STEPS: 9 EST. DRIVE TIME: 43 minutes EST. DISTANCE: 22 miles

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/WindChime45b/Craigsdrivingdistantowork.jpg

CW
05-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Plainfield, IL 60585-7650 TO: Montgomery, IL

STEPS: 14 EST. DRIVE TIME: 27 minutes EST. DISTANCE: 11 miles

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/WindChime45b/craig.jpg

fran
05-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the maps and time travel, Windchime. They're helpful.

Nothing new yet.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/index.html

Police and fire personnel from nine area agencies dove into the retention ponds near Lisa Stebic's house Friday, but found nothing related to her disappearance

CW
05-12-2007, 02:24 PM
I noticed on the second map that I posted that there is a river very close to where Craig works. I wonder if they have or are going to get divers and search that body of water?

strach304
05-12-2007, 03:27 PM
I researched the Dial Corp. last night because I can't get his statement of making Lisa disappear and never found out of my head. That just screams to me he already had an idea of how he'd do this.

His position as a pipefitter would also fall under steam fitter and Dial Corp just had a major gas boiler upgrade system put in by a company named Menex Inc. in March2005. His position would be O&M I really feel he may have taken her to the plant that morning because of the timeframe and not falling out of line with his normal routine.

I also mapped out the area and saw how close it is so he'd only have to go a short distance with her body, no big risk of being pulled over. I will give a link that shows the big containers they have the chemicals stored in and see what you all think. LE needs to see if there's a back area he would go into since he wouldn't be working in the main manufacturing part of the plant. He could even have keys for all we know.
This one is a pic that gives an idea of the large containers for industrial chemicals and an idea of the layout. The Mont. one is one of their largest manufacturing facilities;
http://www.dialcorp.com/index.cfm?page_id=240

This is the info on their gas boiler system;
http://www.energysolutionscenter.org/resources/PDFs/GT-W05_capturing_the_efficiency.pdf
The pic shown in the Menex link is the one at the Dial Corp. in Montgomery.

twinkiesmom
05-12-2007, 05:33 PM
There's no reason for him to bring her to his work when he was an avid hunter and presumably would have known of numerous places to get rid of a body. As others have pointed out, the grave could have been predug.

FactsareFacts
05-12-2007, 06:53 PM
There's no reason for him to bring her to his work when he was an avid hunter and presumably would have known of numerous places to get rid of a body. As others have pointed out, the grave could have been predug.

I agree twinkiesmom. I really feel after that April 17th court date where Lisa was fighting him for both support and alimony he started making his plan to make good on his threat to her. "I will make you dissappear, and nobody will ever find you before I will let you have anything." His attorney probably told him that day that he was going to have to pay her whether he liked it or not and Craig decide NOT! I don't think this was a crime of passion or a fight that got out of hand. He knew where he would dispose of her before he killed her. We still don't know if he went to work Tuesday do we?

fran
05-12-2007, 07:03 PM
I agree twinkiesmom. I really feel after that April 17th court date where Lisa was fighting him for both support and alimony he started making his plan to make good on his threat to her. "I will make you dissappear, and nobody will ever find you before I will let you have anything." His attorney probably told him that day that he was going to have to pay her whether he liked it or not and Craig decide NOT! I don't think this was a crime of passion or a fight that got out of hand. He knew where he would dispose of her before he killed her. We still don't know if he went to work Tuesday do we?

I wonder if the neighbors noticed him leave that night? You know, after the kids were asleep.

Good Grief! I wonder exactly what kind of chemicals he works with? A vat of the right chemical can make anyone disappear.

Oh, I think I'm going to be sick. :(

JMHO
fran

Mama-cita
05-12-2007, 07:03 PM
I researched the Dial Corp. last night because I can't get his statement of making Lisa disappear and never found out of my head. That just screams to me he already had an idea of how he'd do this.

SNIPPED

I am sorry, I am new to following this, when/where did he say he would make her disappear and never be found? Not doubting you, I am just curious as to what has come out so far...

fran
05-12-2007, 07:52 PM
I am sorry, I am new to following this, when/where did he say he would make her disappear and never be found? Not doubting you, I am just curious as to what has come out so far...

I'm not starch and I can't remember exactly when he said it, but I think she told the couple she used to stay with on occasion (with her two kids) when she was trying to stay away from her husband. The couple she used to go and visit had something to do with a local 'women's shelter.'

You see, eventhough she never told her family, she'd told her neighbors and this couple, that if anything ever happened to her, to look at her husband.
THAT, I do remember her saying for sure.

JMHO
fran

FactsareFacts
05-12-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm not starch and I can't remember exactly when he said it, but I think she told the couple she used to stay with on occasion (with her two kids) when she was trying to stay away from her husband. The couple she used to go and visit had something to do with a local 'women's shelter.'

You see, eventhough she never told her family, she'd told her neighbors and this couple, that if anything ever happened to her, to look at her husband.
THAT, I do remember her saying for sure.

JMHO
fran

Yes you are right she told the couple that she and the kids had stayed with at least 4 times in the past few months what Craig said. She also had been to the shelter for counselling. Craig tried to disput that Lisa was affraid of him or that she had gone to the shelter. The shelter was contacted by a reporter and they said that they were working with investigators. The couple told a reporter about Craigs threat to make her dissappear. Seems he thought she didn't tell anyone, guess he was wrong.

puglet
05-12-2007, 08:32 PM
If he commutes to Montgomery, then he has a 20 minute drive at best -- even with traffic. There is a river -- the Fox River -- that runs through Oswego and Montgomery. I don't think he would put her body there though because it is very shallow. You can walk across it.

This morning on my way to work I saw a search team doing a line search through a field off 127th Street working their way towards Plainfield North High School. It was spooky and made me feel sick. I'm sure they are looking for clues, but don't think they are going to find any in the field. I think they need to look in the house!!

strach304
05-12-2007, 08:40 PM
When he said disappear and never be found what if he meant that literally? Burning and use of chemicals wouldn't be the first time someone tried to dispose of a body that way. Burying her isn't fool proof since animals may get to her, a witness spotting him during that timeframe would give away the area. If he's at work that's where he's supposed to be. I guess it doesn't matter so much anyway because I doubt LE could trace it anyway.

Liz
05-12-2007, 08:48 PM

Twikiesmom, this is the first I've read or seen anything about a grave being predug. It's an interesting concept.

strach304
05-12-2007, 09:58 PM
The latest: they found a body but not Lisa.
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_132192900.html

philamena
05-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Why can't the husband be arrested or at least questioned for probable cause? Friday night Fox news reported that the father, Lisa and the kids were home together the day Lisa disappeared. The reporter said that the dad gave the kids money so they could go to the store and buy candy. :banghead: Now I'm not detective but sounds to me like the dad wanted to get rid of the kids. When the kids returned home from the store......their mom was missing. The dad imo should be strenuously questioned.

txsvicki
05-13-2007, 02:00 AM
This threat of making women disappear during a divorce must be pretty common. I know one man who threatened and got he wife to lay off his assets, and I know a woman who was threatened by her criminal defense lawyer ex and got nothing at all in the divorce, even having to give the two boys.

Bobbisangel
05-13-2007, 04:23 AM
Why can't the husband be arrested or at least questioned for probable cause? Friday night Fox news reported that the father, Lisa and the kids were home together the day Lisa disappeared. The reporter said that the dad gave the kids money so they could go to the store and buy candy. :banghead: Now I'm not detective but sounds to me like the dad wanted to get rid of the kids. When the kids returned home from the store......their mom was missing. The dad imo should be strenuously questioned.

I can't remember how far away the store was but it wasn't so close that the kids would have been back in 15 minutes. He would have had plenty of time to murder her and at least put her body into the trunk of a car before the kids got back. I would imagine he hid her body and then disposed of it late that night. Strangling someone would only take a few minutes and I believe that they had a garage which the car was probably in. I would imagine he had it all figured out with the timing and everything. By the time the kids got home he was probably all organized and everything looked normal. Because Lisa always went jogging the kids wouldn't think a thing of her being gone.

I would imagine that his attorney is blocking every angle that LE might try. Can't they at least get a search warrent and search the house, vehicles, garage? After the statements that he has made they have the right to be suspicious of him. Him going to court to get custody of the kids raises eyebrows too. He knows darn well that she isn't going to sneak into town and grab the kids. I also heard that he put the kids into a different school too but so far that is gossip I think. It seems to me that he is doing his best to try and make LE believe that she is still alive and just took off. I hope they aren't falling for that bunch of bull. He is just like the rest of the "innocent" husbands whose wives have just taken off never to be seen again :mad:

FactsareFacts
05-13-2007, 07:53 AM
I can't remember how far away the store was but it wasn't so close that the kids would have been back in 15 minutes. He would have had plenty of time to murder her and at least put her body into the trunk of a car before the kids got back. I would imagine he hid her body and then disposed of it late that night. Strangling someone would only take a few minutes and I believe that they had a garage which the car was probably in. I would imagine he had it all figured out with the timing and everything. By the time the kids got home he was probably all organized and everything looked normal. Because Lisa always went jogging the kids wouldn't think a thing of her being gone.

I would imagine that his attorney is blocking every angle that LE might try. Can't they at least get a search warrent and search the house, vehicles, garage? After the statements that he has made they have the right to be suspicious of him. Him going to court to get custody of the kids raises eyebrows too. He knows darn well that she isn't going to sneak into town and grab the kids. I also heard that he put the kids into a different school too but so far that is gossip I think. It seems to me that he is doing his best to try and make LE believe that she is still alive and just took off. I hope they aren't falling for that bunch of bull. He is just like the rest of the "innocent" husbands whose wives have just taken off never to be seen again :mad:

The store was about 1 mile from the house and they rode their bikes. The other thing that gets me is that he said and a neighbor said she always drove to the school to work out. The school was over 3 miles away. Neighbors said they didn't see her leave and saw no vehicles in the area around 6pm when he claims he didn't "see" her leave. Although he said she had her purse and cell phone. Guess he's psychic too.:mad:

Liz
05-13-2007, 03:20 PM
That gets me too -- that he didn't see her leave, yet somehow he knew she took her purse and cell phone. (Admittedly, IF he had keys to her car that was in the garage, he could have already looked inside for them.)

It also bugs me that we've never heard mention of a description of her clothing; what he or the children last saw her wearing.

Here's a snippet from Sat, May 12th Herald News (http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/382526,4_1_JO12_MISSING_S1.article):

Police have conducted "basic" searches of the Stebics' house and Lisa Stebic's car, he said. Nothing significant was found on her computer, which was turned over to police by Lisa's husband Craig.

At least LE was able to do 'basic searches' of the Stebic home, for whatever that's worth.

FactsareFacts
05-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Someone pasted at CTV that a hiker discovered human remains about 75 miles from Plainfield Ill. in the bush. Described as a woman in her twenties but the coroner is preforming an autopsy. Also someone who searched on Saturday said friends were saying Lisa worked part time some evenings as a custodian at a school. Funny her husband didn't mention this. He also did not participate in the search. Apparently he was unable to give LE a description on what Lisa was wearing as well. Yeah but he knew she had her purse and cell?

gidget641
05-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Someone pasted at CTV that a hiker discovered human remains about 75 miles from Plainfield Ill. in the bush. Described as a woman in her twenties but the coroner is preforming an autopsy. Also someone who searched on Saturday said friends were saying Lisa worked part time some evenings as a custodian at a school. Funny her husband didn't mention this. He also did not participate in the search. Apparently he was unable to give LE a description on what Lisa was wearing as well. Yeah but he knew she had her purse and cell?

May 14, 2007 BEACH PARK, Ill. - The Lake County Sheriff's Office is investigating the discovery of human remains found in the town of Beach Park.

More at link http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=5301909

If this is the same body that the ctv poster is speaking of, channel 7 news reported the remains to have been a skeleton. Lisa has not been gone long enough for it to be her if the news report is correct on the condition of the remains found.

rd_jfc
05-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Although described as a skeleton, the body is also described as apparently a woman in her 20's.

Some missing woman has been found today. But who?

rd

FactsareFacts
05-14-2007, 12:37 PM
May 14, 2007 BEACH PARK, Ill. - The Lake County Sheriff's Office is investigating the discovery of human remains found in the town of Beach Park.

More at link http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=5301909

If this is the same body that the ctv poster is speaking of, channel 7 news reported the remains to have been a skeleton. Lisa has not been gone long enough for it to be her if the news report is correct on the condition of the remains found.

Yes thats the same article. Like you I am not sure about the condition of the body. To say it appears to be a woman in her 20's and then say it was a skeleton is a contradiction really. The body was found Saturday and an autopsy is being done now.

TGIRecovered
05-14-2007, 12:49 PM
I believe age of a person at the time of death can be generally determined by looking at the bone plates of the skull. The extent of fusion between the plates is an indicator of age.

gidget641
05-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Although described as a skeleton, the body is also described as apparently a woman in her 20's.

Some missing woman has been found today. But who?

rd

Well since the story I heard did not mention sex, or age the first thought I had was how long have those bones been there and could it be Barbara Glueckert. Barbara went missing in 1976 when she was 14.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/glueckert_barbara.html

Even though the efforts to find Barbara have been centered more west of where this discovery was made, she was the first person I thought about because anything is possible.

FactsareFacts
05-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Well since the story I heard did not mention sex, or age the first thought I had was how long have those bones been there and could it be Barbara Glueckert. Barbara went missing in 1976 when she was 14.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/glueckert_barbara.html

Even though the efforts to find Barbara have been centered more west of where this discovery was made, she was the first person I thought about because anything is possible.

Could be. There really is no information so I guess we have to wait and see what the ME discovers during the autopsy.

MistyM
05-14-2007, 02:07 PM
i was just wondering why he was driving a 1998 truck when he was arrested in 1995. is that a typo? was he actually arrested in 2005? that's so weird.

Seahorseladydi
05-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Search for woman turns up body of 72-year-old man

neither one of the women......

here is the link:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=5300006

Seahorseladydi
05-14-2007, 03:28 PM
SNIP:

During an on-air interview Saturday evening with Kimberly Guilfoyle of "The Line Up" on FOX News Channel, Melanie Greenberg of Naperville, Lisa Stebic's cousin and spokesperson for the family, said they want Craig "to take a polygraph" test and do anything he can to help.

LINK to rest of Story:

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervillesun/news/384445,6_1_NA14_MISSING_S1.article

Seahorseladydi
05-14-2007, 03:31 PM
May 10, 2007
More than a week has passed since a Plainfield mother of two vanished without a trace from her home on Red Star Drive. The search continues for 37-year-old Lisa Stebic, who was reported missing May 1.

The Sun has compiled this list of key events leading up to and since Lisa Stebic's disappearance from reports published this week. Some of the entries reflect conflicting accounts of events from family, friends and authorities.

Craig Stebic was arrested in Lake County and faced two felony counts and four misdemeanor counts of unlawful use of a weapon, according to published media reports. Police found a 10-gauge double-barrel shotgun, a .44 magnum semi-automatic pistol, a Ruger Mini-14 assault rifle and an AK-47 semiautomatic rifle in his pickup truck. He reportedly received supervision for the offenses.
December 2006
Plainfield police were called to the home of Craig and Lisa Stebic at 13244 Red Star Drive for a report of a nonviolent verbal fight between the couple.
• In an interview this past week, Craig said he called police after his wife showed up intoxicated after being out all night. A friend of Lisa's said that Lisa told her Craig locked her out of the house.

January 2007
Craig Stebic, 41, filed for divorce from Lisa Stebic, 37, after 14 years of marriage. According to court records, Craig cites irreconcilable differences. Lisa and Craig both seek joint custody of their children with Lisa as the residential custodial parent; child support and division of their marital property. Lisa Stebic also seeks alimony. The couple has two children, 12-year-old Lexi and 10-year-old Zac.
April 2007
Lisa Stebic posted profiles on aerobicfriends.com and health.exercisefriends.com looking for female friends to work out with.
April 30, 2007
Craig Stebic said he last saw Lisa, a Sodexho Food Service worker at Plainfield's Lincoln Elementary School, at about 6 p.m. in their house.
Lisa is said to have left the house with her purse and cell phone. Craig said Lisa either left on foot or was picked up because her car remains at the family's home. Craig said he was working in the backyard and the couple's children were out of the house during the time his wife left. It was reported Lisa would work out at Plainfield North High School in the evenings fairly frequently.

May 1, 2007
Lisa Stebic was reported missing on this day.
• While police say a neighbor reported Lisa missing, Craig's divorce attorney Dion Davi says Craig was the one to make the call to police.

May 3, 2007
Plainfield police officers and Plainfield Emergency Management Agency personnel searched the park across the street from the Stebic's house in the afternoon because Lisa reportedly walked and jogged there in the past.
The Web site www.findlisastebic.com went live in the evening, taking the search public.

May 4, 2007
Lisa Stebic's cousin, Naperville resident Mark Greenberg, and his wife, Melanie, held a press conference in front of Lisa's house. Greenberg said "the family is in anguish" and that "this isn't like Lisa. She would never leave her children."
May 6, 2007
More than 100 volunteers met at Walker's Grove Elementary School in Plainfield to plaster fliers with Lisa's picture and description around the area.
May 7, 2007
Plainfield police told reporters they have no reason to suspect foul play so far in the Stebic disappearance. They have investigated Craig Stebic's computer records, spoken to his friends and associates and interviewed Stebic himself several times. Plainfield Deputy Police Chief Mark Eiting, when asked if Craig was a suspect or person of interest in the investigation, said no - not at this point.
Police also told reporters Lisa's cell phone and credit cards have not been used since her disappearance April 30.

Friends of Lisa Stebic told media she was frightened by Craig and was attending counseling at the Guardian Angel Home of Joliet, an agency that provides services to battered women. Friends also say Lisa suffered verbal abuse from her husband, and after divorce proceedings began, would sleep on the living room sofa, where she kept a purse with her personal belongings constantly by her side.

May 8, 2007
Mark and Melanie Greenberg announced at a press conference in Chicago a $20,000 reward for information leading to Lisa Stebic's whereabouts.
Craig Stebic reportedly refused to take a polygraph test scheduled for Tuesday by Plainfield police.

• However, Stebic later told media that he hadn't ruled out taking the test and wanted to but was acting on the advice of Davi, who told him not to do so. Police confirm they've asked Stebic to take the polygraph test, and he said no, but they also say Stebic has been working with the police in other regards. The Greenbergs said they hope Craig will reconsider and take the polygraph.

Craig Stebic supposedly does not answer the door when FBI agents show up on his doorstep. No one answers the door at the family's home when the agents arrive and knock.

Stebic tells reporters he believes the police consider him a suspect.

May 9, 2007
A candlelight vigil for Lisa took place at 6:30 p.m. in a gazebo at Red Star and Blakely drives near the Stebic's house.
Almost 40,000 hits were reported on www.findlisastebic.com, which also now includes a YouTube video reaching out to the worldwide online video community for their help in finding Lisa. By now, hundreds of people have posted messages of support on the site. Earlier in the day, several posts appeared to attack Craig, but later postings encouraged only messages of support and prayer be left to help the family through this difficult time.

Craig Stebic is quoted in media reports as refuting the claims that Lisa was scared of him, that he was verbally abusive and that she was receiving counseling.

May 19, 2007
Today will be Lisa Stebic's 38th birthday.

gidget641
05-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Search for woman turns up body of 72-year-old man

neither one of the women......

here is the link:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=5300006

The body that was being posted about this morning is not the same one found by the folks searching for Lisa on Saturday. There was another body found in Lake county.

Here is the link again http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=5301909

Seahorseladydi
05-14-2007, 03:52 PM
So the search teams have found 2 BODIES? WOW!