PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is going to happen now?

aussie_mum
09-09-2007, 05:29 AM
Do you think they will go back to Portugal? Do you think they will be charged? Will they disappear from public life? Do you think Maddie will be found?

Also wondering if we could have thread by someone in the 'know' about actual facts seperated from rumour and what we know to be true and what Team Mc Cann has stated and may not be true.

Rino
09-09-2007, 06:11 AM
I don't think poor Maddie will be found alive.

Good thread idea.

dingo
09-09-2007, 06:35 AM
Sadly neither do,its been too long.
I fear that this case may go the same way as JBRS did:(

Shazza
09-09-2007, 06:52 AM
If the parents are found guilty and dont tell the LE where Madelaine is, OMG..... I dont know how they could live with themselves.:banghead:

missacorah
09-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Sadly neither do,its been too long.
I fear that this case may go the same way as JBRS did:(

I feel the same. I just have this awful feeling that this will trudge on as that csse did and we will never be able to know the truth; I think the only way the McCanns could ever be classed as innocent now is if Maddie was found alive with 'a kidnapper' and sadly I dont think thats very likely.

T-Rex
09-09-2007, 10:35 AM
I think the truth will be found many, many years later, when another crime is solved (i.e. a future kidnapping / child killing).

Jdee
09-09-2007, 10:43 AM
I think the McCann's will be called back to Portugal. The mom arrested. And that hopefully will put a tight squeeze on Gerry to tell the truth IF they are involved.

concernedperson
09-09-2007, 11:00 AM
I am hoping some of the searches will find Maddie now that the McCanns are out of Portugal. I wonder if mileage on the vehicle they rented will be checked against their known whereabouts during their stay.It could give an indication where she was disposed of and then they can bring in dogs to help find her.

englishleigh
09-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I pray something happens to give justice to Madeleine. I don't think she will be found, I think she was disposed of in the sea. But I really, really want whoever is responsible for her death to pay!!!!!!! I really want the McCanns dragged back to Portugal ASAP after they get Amelie and Sean settled with grandparents. I also would like to see the Tapas group called in for intense questioning again.

mjak
09-09-2007, 11:22 AM
I think and hope PLE will put all there resources into finding Maddie's remains. As if they are correct that her parents did kill her now they need the body. It probably is not a detriment to this part of the investigation to have the parents back in England since they did not crack under all the questioning. At this point PLE needs a body. As to the parents I think they will never step on portugese soil again unless forced too.

mjak

Barnaby
09-09-2007, 11:23 AM
I hope if she is dead that Madeleines body will be found & given a proper burial. She deserves that at least.
I think that at some stage the McCanns will be called back to Portugal maybe charged who knows.
I also think the other members of that dinner party should be questioned again, I think some know the truth.
Social services should make a public case of this as a warning to other parents who think they can get away with child neglect!
I just hope the truth comes out & we don't remain wondering forever what happened to that gorgeous little girl.

colomom
09-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Do you think they will go back to Portugal? Do you think they will be charged? Will they disappear from public life? Do you think Maddie will be found?

Also wondering if we could have thread by someone in the 'know' about actual facts seperated from rumour and what we know to be true and what Team Mc Cann has stated and may not be true.

I think this would be a short thread because all we actually know to be fact is: Madeleine McCann dissapeared.

Because of Portugal's secrecy laws everything else is rumor. What the McCanns and the Tapas 7 have told us has been limited and found to be inconsistant as well.

Can you think of something else that can be stated as fact?

If we can come up with a few things that we agree are facts, I will open the thread.

STEADFAST
09-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Unless Madeleine is found, I think now that the MCCanns are back in the UK that the Portugese LE will let this case fade, attempting to leave the impression that they have done their job as well as they could but didn't have enough evidence to convict or extradite the McCanns. The same people who believe in the parents guilt now, will still believe they are guilty. The fence-sitters will stay fence-sitters. And the NGs will stay NGs.
We will still be discussing it on here years from now.

SewingDeb
09-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm afraid you are right, STEADFAST. Investigators told Sky News the investigation would take a year. If they had anything substantial, the McCanns would not be back in England at this time. I think they were trying to get one or the other to crack...didn't work so they are free to go.

rashomon
09-09-2007, 01:14 PM
I believe this is going to turn into another JonBenet Ramsey-type case. I'm very pessimistic about it being ever solved. It seems too much already went wrong.
If the McCanns are innocent, it must be hell for them. For the suspicion will stick to them like tar as long as they live.
And if they are guilty, they will have to live with constant lying and deceit, and also with the fear that Madeleine's body will be found after all and tested for forensic evidence. Even if they drowned her in the sea, a body can resurface. Just think of the Scott Peterson case.

jmo

sandraladeda
09-09-2007, 01:35 PM
My guess?

The tide has turned against the parents. The pressure on them will only increase. The pressure on the other Tapas diners will increase as well. Someone will cooperate. One of the McCann's will crumble (my guess is Gerry) because they just can't keep it up any longer.

The authorities will be led to the body. It is buried somewhere.

Just a guess...

Pinkhammer
09-09-2007, 01:49 PM
I believe Maddie's body will be found, quite by accident. This is what happened in the case of Chandra Levy. A year after all the police searches, a man walking his dog found Chandra's skeletal remains in the park.

The McCanns will get away with the murder of this beautiful child, but will live the rest of their lives under a cloud of suspicion. This could affect their careers as doctors.

The Algarve will go back to being a peaceful resort and haven for parents and children. But no one will ever leave their kids unwatched and unprotected there again.

Kate will have a nervous breakdown and be institutionalized. The couple will divorce. The twin babies will be raised by Philomena, Gerry's sister.

CaliKid
09-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I think the PJ have a lot more evidence against the McCanns than anyone knows. With the high profile involved, I can't imagine them taking on the parents without a strong case that will convict them.

rashomon
09-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I think the PJ have a lot more evidence against the McCanns than anyone knows. With the high profile involved, I can't imagine them taking on the parents without a strong case that will convict them.
But if the PJ have so much convincing evidence, why weren't the McCanns charged and arrested? What would the PJ gain from letting them go now? Maybe they still have to do additional investigating to put all pieces of the puzzle together?

jmo

CaliKid
09-09-2007, 04:05 PM
I think part of it is they're still investigating, such as waiting for all the lab results to come back, asking for new tests and talking to witnesses. It hasn't hurt anything to let the McCanns just talk themselves into a hole. They can force them to come back to Portugal any time they want.

It's like the head of the PJ has said, they knew almost from the start that Madeleine hadn't been kidnapped. They collected evidence and apparently didn't mind that people were portraying them as bumbling keystone cops. But when it comes to making a case, I think it will be airtight.

Schmerty_Jones
09-09-2007, 06:33 PM
I just can't see no resolution ,no charges & life goes on as usual with the McCanns parenting the twins,& working with patients.
YOU HAVE TO TELL THE TRUTH TO BE A PARENT & TO BE A DOCTOR . It is too intimate a relationship for human beings to carry on with business as usual. One or both will crack. I feel sorry for them ,but even if you have done wrong as a MD. or as a parent ,you have to tell the truth!!!
We have always taught our children to say I made a mistake & I'm sorry..what ever the consequences. How can you be in a position as parent or doctor & not practice what you preach??:( :(

Barnaby
09-09-2007, 06:50 PM
I think the McCanns will be back in Portugal within two weeks to face charges!

kazzbar
09-11-2007, 02:39 AM
I think the McCanns will be back in Portugal within two weeks to face charges!I am hoping that you are right...I fear another case where we never know what became of the poor victim. I just hope that Maddie's remains are found and they are given a decent burial. I also wish whoever is responsible faces the wrath of the law in the future.

angarella
09-11-2007, 07:11 AM
I think one or both will be charged soon (next few weeks). I just honestly feel that the Portugal police are way smarter than people are giving them credit for. I think they "know their stuff". ;)

ceeaura
09-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Unless Madeleine is found, I think now that the MCCanns are back in the UK that the Portugese LE will let this case fade, attempting to leave the impression that they have done their job as well as they could but didn't have enough evidence to convict or extradite the McCanns. The same people who believe in the parents guilt now, will still believe they are guilty. The fence-sitters will stay fence-sitters. And the NGs will stay NGs.
We will still be discussing it on here years from now.

I agree with you Steadfast.

Shazza
09-11-2007, 07:16 AM
I hope the McCanns are charged and it goes to trial, maybe we will find out more then as their friends would be called to testify, so will all other witnesses and then a jury will decide.

Texana
09-11-2007, 07:32 AM
I hope the McCanns are charged and it goes to trial, maybe we will find out more then as their friends would be called to testify, so will all other witnesses and then a jury will decide.

Absolutely! Then all the evidence will be presented and they can either clear their names or...not.

But I think it will be Kate that cracks, not Gerry. Gerry seems to still think they can just all go back to a normal life. No matter what happens, that is not ever going to be true.

Barnaby
09-11-2007, 07:40 AM
I think there will be a long court battle now to fight their extradition to Portugal

gord
09-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Absolutely! Then all the evidence will be presented and they can either clear their names or...not.

But I think it will be Kate that cracks, not Gerry. Gerry seems to still think they can just all go back to a normal life. No matter what happens, that is not ever going to be true.

Kate was questioned pretty toughly for 13 hours - surely if she was going to " Crack " then it would have happened then .

However I think that Portugese authorities will have to be pretty sure on this before they bring them back to face 100% charges . I dont think that the DNA thing is conclusive , and there is still IMHO too many unanswered questions - to many what ifs . Can you imagiine a defence lawyer getting to grips with some of the stuff that went on .

For me if they did kill their daughter and dispose of her locally - then there must be a body - it has to be found . That will be the key - no body then I think the case against the Mcaans will be shaky to say the least

wicket
09-12-2007, 08:46 PM
This may sound farfetched and maybe I'm really spinning my wheels, also since the Portuguese police do not need to reveal evidence presently, could they have found the body? Even listening to myself think it sounds strange, saying it out loud really sounds eerie. If they have been following them shortly after the disappearance of Maddie, they could have watched and waited. Maybe the Portuguese police will surprise us.

Texana
09-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Kate was questioned pretty toughly for 13 hours - surely if she was going to " Crack " then it would have happened then .

However I think that Portugese authorities will have to be pretty sure on this before they bring them back to face 100% charges . I dont think that the DNA thing is conclusive , and there is still IMHO too many unanswered questions - to many what ifs . Can you imagiine a defence lawyer getting to grips with some of the stuff that went on .

For me if they did kill their daughter and dispose of her locally - then there must be a body - it has to be found . That will be the key - no body then I think the case against the Mcaans will be shaky to say the least

Thirteen hours is nothing like a three month trial.

Plenty of people have been convicted without a body. It's not necessarily easy, but it doesn't make them less guilty simply because they were smart or lucky in how they hid their victims.

CaliKid
09-13-2007, 01:29 AM
I think there will be a long court battle now to fight their extradition to Portugal

Maybe, but it makes them look even more guilty if they fight it.

The biggest thing I'm afraid of is that the UK government is going to put pressure on the Portuguese government to drop charges against them.

It appears as if the McCanns have a powerful friend in British PM Gordon Brown. On his part, Brown, who came out strongly early on in support of them, stands to lose a lot of credibility if they're charged and convicted.

Smurf
09-13-2007, 10:51 AM
And then you have OJ, he got lucky and they had 2 bodies. He too had a very small time window to do what he did and went through a hellacious trial-never cracking under the pressure. If he can do it then I would think the McCanns can do it too.

Brefie
09-13-2007, 10:58 AM

I can't imagine how anyone would get this impression. The times they have spoken about 'going back' or 'getting back' they ALWAYS say it's for the benefit of the twins, so they can have some normalcy.
They have spoken several times of the devastation of going back without Madeleine.

No offense, but there is absolutely no basis to the statement "Gerry seems to still think they can just all go back to a normal life."

Jeana (DP)
09-13-2007, 11:02 AM
I can't imagine how anyone would get this impression. The times they have spoken about 'going back' or 'getting back' they ALWAYS say it's for the benefit of the twins, so they can have some normalcy.
They have spoken several times of the devastation of going back without Madeleine.

No offense, but there is absolutely no basis to the statement "Gerry seems to still think they can just all go back to a normal life."

Personally, I don't understand how they can even think about a future when a member of their family is missing. People who KNOW their loved one is actually dead don't even think about getting "back to a normal life" after only a few months. I'd personally like to know how in hell they even brought themselves to leave the country KNOWING that their three-year old girl may still be there ALIVE and held against her will. Nothing could have torn me away from there and they can't seem to get away fast enough. Hinky to me.

christine2448
09-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Personally, I don't understand how they can even think about a future when a member of their family is missing. People who KNOW their loved one is actually dead don't even think about getting "back to a normal life" after only a few months. I'd personally like to know how in hell they even brought themselves to leave the country KNOWING that their three-year old girl may still be there ALIVE and held against her will. Nothing could have torn me away from there and they can't seem to get away fast enough. Hinky to me.

I agree, however, everyone deals w/things differently. I am working on a local case right now, and I can't believe the parents aren't out all hours of the day looking under cars, in dumpsters....some just don't have it in them. Some just don't care, some are involved w/the crime and already know the outcome, so why stay.

I'm with you Jeana, I couldn't leave, no way in hell, w/o my child, dead or alive.

But, how long can that go on? How long could I stay? What about my other children. I'd so need therapy!

Brefie
09-13-2007, 11:10 AM

I don't think 4 months is 'can't get away fast enough'. These are not the Ramsey's who left their baby under the tree and walked out.

People see it differently. Perhaps they have been made aware of evidence that she is likely dead? At what point do you then sacrifice 2 living children? The cops are focusing on them, so they can no longer count on them to look for their child.

Europe seems to be easy enough to get around. If she has been abducted, she is likely no longer in the country, so therefore, what reason do they have to stay in Portugal where the folks are no longer interested in finding your missing child?

Juliana
09-13-2007, 11:15 AM

In my view, the twins are young enough that they don't "have" to be in England. The twins are so young they have probably forgotten all about their old life in England and Portugal is now what they are accustomed to. The McCanns could raise the twins in Portugal until they find out what happened to Madeleine, and that would be "normal" for the twins.

I wonder what the twins will think when they are older and find out their parents left Portugal without finding out what happened to Madeleine...

imo

Jeana (DP)
09-13-2007, 11:16 AM
I don't think 4 months is 'can't get away fast enough'. These are not the Ramsey's who left their baby under the tree and walked out.

People see it differently. Perhaps they have been made aware of evidence that she is likely dead? At what point do you then sacrifice 2 living children? The cops are focusing on them, so they can no longer count on them to look for their child.

Europe seems to be easy enough to get around. If she has been abducted, she is likely no longer in the country, so therefore, what reason do they have to stay in Portugal where the folks are no longer interested in finding your missing child?

Well my first comment would be PROVE that the Ramseys did anything. Smarter people that us have tried and can't, so I think we better leave that one alone.

Secondly, I don't see how staying in a beautiful resort in Portugal is "sacrificing" two children. These children are two-years old. At that age, if they're with mom and dad, they're happy.

Lastly, I think you're going to have a hard time getting anyone to believe that the authorities in Portugal are not interesting in finding a missing three-year old girl. On the contrary, they seem to be more interested in her well being than her own parents WHO LEFT HER ALONE TO FEND FOR HERSELF NIGHT AFTER NIGHT.

Brefie
09-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Lastly, I think you're going to have a hard time getting anyone to believe that the authorities in Portugal are not interesting in finding a missing three-year old girl. On the contrary, they seem to be more interested in her well being than her own parents WHO LEFT HER ALONE TO FEND FOR HERSELF NIGHT AFTER NIGHT.

Forget the Ramsey's....my bad for bringing it up in the wrong forum. Apologies....just wanted a reference.

However, I think the Portuguese authorities are NO LONGER looking for Madeleine since they believe her parents killed her. Surely that is a given?

Jeana (DP)
09-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Forget the Ramsey's....my bad for bringing it up in the wrong forum. Apologies....just wanted a reference.

However, I think the Portuguese authorities are NO LONGER looking for Madeleine since they believe her parents killed her. Surely that is a given?

I don't believe that they've absolutely ruled anything out, nor should they until her body is found. Wouldn't you think so? My question is why the parents have ruled out her being found alive? Most parents would stay until they have an answer, but the McCanns seem to know the answer and would be just as happy to get back to the life they had before.

Brefie
09-13-2007, 11:53 AM
I don't believe that they've absolutely ruled anything out, nor should they until her body is found. Wouldn't you think so? My question is why the parents have ruled out her being found alive? Most parents would stay until they have an answer, but the McCanns seem to know the answer and would be just as happy to get back to the life they had before.

I would hope they would continue to search for her, absolutely.

The parents have never given any indication that they have given up that she is alive. They have expressed several times that they hope their status as 'arguidos' would not take the focus from finding Madeleine. If Madeleine is alive, I would bet the farm she is no longer in Portugal, so I see nothing sinister about them leaving. For all we know, they went home to re-group and plan their next course of action.

Jeana (DP)
09-13-2007, 12:11 PM
For all we know, they went home to re-group and plan their next course of action.

They did. They hired an attorney who specialized in helping them avoid extradition to Portugal.

Brefie
09-13-2007, 12:35 PM
They did. They hired an attorney who specialized in helping them avoid extradition to Portugal.

This remains to be seen. They have not avoided extradition to Portugal.

christine2448
09-13-2007, 12:40 PM

I'm clueless about extradition...could they, the parents, use this 'avoid extradition' and legally not be allowed to be taken back to Port. and face charges, even if LE can prove there they did it, or no way...they can and will make them go back for trial?

Jeana (DP)
09-13-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm clueless about extradition...could they, the parents, use this 'avoid extradition' and legally not be allowed to be taken back to Port. and face charges, even if LE can prove there they did it, or no way...they can and will make them go back for trial?

They can try. It doesn't usually work unless the country that is asking for the extradition is going to ask for the death penalty. Usually all that it does is buy them some time.

Texana
09-13-2007, 12:48 PM
I get that reaction from Gerry's blog:

"It is very comforting to have such familiar surroundings and our own belongings and the twins have settled straight back in as if they have never been away."

Family friends (named in the news articles) were quoted as saying Kate returned, went to Maddie's room and wept.

However, Gerry doesn't mention this. He says they have "mixed feelings" but the specific examples he quotes aren't about the agony of being home without Maddie, the concrete things he cites are good parts of being back, "comforting" and "as if they had never been away."

We emphasize the things that are important to us, and it's obvious to me what is important to Gerry McCann now.

nanandjim
09-13-2007, 12:57 PM
...Secondly, I don't see how staying in a beautiful resort in Portugal is "sacrificing" two children. These children are two-years old. At that age, if they're with mom and dad, they're happy.

I totally agree. Why don't the parents insist on taking lie detector tests to prove their innocence and get the Portuguese police and the world to refocus on finding their beloved daughter? I would think that as parents they would do anything necessary to move this investigation forward.

Brefie
09-13-2007, 12:58 PM
"As if they had never been away" is a description of how the twins are doing.

ANY comfort is probably VERY important to him in his "Unending nightmare" as he described it. I am surprised that no one hung him out to dry for saying that. Kate probably gets some tiny comfort from the stuffed cat. IT is perfectly fine for innocent people going thru a similar nightmare to get comfort from things.

Ask them if they feel 'comfortable' and I'll bet they'll tell you "He!! no!"

CaliKid
09-13-2007, 01:31 PM
I don't think it's just the McCanns. I think someone else is involved, and my money is on Russell O'Brien.