PDA

View Full Version : TX TX - Nicholas Barclay, 13, San Antonio, 13 June 1994

meggilyweggily
10-27-2007, 08:08 PM
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/barclay_nicholas.html

I can't find a thread for this case so I thought I'd start one here. It interests me because of Bourdin's involvement, which is bizarre. From what I've read. Bourdin had run a lot of different cons in Europe and the Barclay thing was just one more -- but why? I didn't see that Nicholas came from a wealthy family or anything, so I doubt Bourdin could have gained much financially by passing himself off as that boy.

I doubt Bourdin actually knew anything about Nicholas's disappearance, though. I think probably he ran away from home, but I'm not sure he's alive now. He's been gone for so long.

Thoughts, anyone?

bykerladi
11-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Is anyone else confused by the mother's comment that he displayed aggressive behavior in 1998? Especially considering he disappeared in 1994?

meggilyweggily
11-02-2007, 07:01 AM
that was a typo. I'll fix it.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed
04-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Festival documentary looks at a missing boy and a grand deception

Today’s pick: The Imposter (4:30 p.m. Monday at the Dallas Angelika, 5321 E. Mockingbird Lane)

An adolescent boy disappears from San Antonio in 1994. His family, understandably, is crushed. Then, 31/2 years later, he appears in Spain.

The family is overjoyed — so overjoyed that it fails to overlook the obvious problems with this miracle resolution.

More: http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/movies/headlines/20120415-festival-documentary-looks-at-a-missing-boy-and-a-grand-deception.ece

ttcRider
12-31-2012, 01:00 AM
The Imposter made the top 5 movies to see in 2012 according to one critic I saw today on tv... I wasnt familiar with the story and thought I'd come here to see if anyone else had. Very bizarre.

LietKynes
01-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Anyone going to see this movie/doc. ? Well, it's out on dvd now.... Came to this site to read more about it.
If I remember correctly, Jaycee Dugard's uncle or some other relative said JD remembered everything -- names , her address, etc. So I found it weird that Nicholas' family didn't get suspicious right away when Bourdin had to have family members pointed out to him. Plus, a boy doesn't change THAT much from 13 yrs. to 16 yrs. jmo.

ttcRider
01-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Anyone going to see this movie/doc. ? Well, it's out on dvd now.... Came to this site to read more about it.
If I remember correctly, Jaycee Dugard's uncle or some other relative said JD remembered everything -- names , her address, etc. So I found it weird that Nicholas' family didn't get suspicious right away when Bourdin had to have family members pointed out to him. Plus, a boy doesn't change THAT much from 13 yrs. to 16 yrs. jmo.

I watched the movie, its really good, very good. It will make you shake your head a few times. hahaha :)

melodyl
01-24-2013, 11:50 AM
I just saw the movie. I think Nicholas' family just wanted it to be him so much that their conscious minds refused to accept the reality.

melodyl
01-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Bourdin is certainly a very twisted individual. I tried to understand his perspective but couldn't get past what he was doing to Nicholas' family.

LietKynes
01-24-2013, 04:18 PM
After watching this documentary, I'm not entirely convinced that Nicholas' family/someone close to them didn't have anything to do with his disappearance.
Despite Bourdin's despicable behavior (the doc. said he's now married with 3 kids--how would he like it if someone conned them?) ; the family does seem like they know more than they're letting on.
And close to the end of the documentary, it was stated that Nicholas' brother-in-law (?) said that the day Nicholas disappeared, he had broken into a home late at night ....makes no sense at all.
I was thinking that maybe Nicholas was killed by accident; and the family knew they were in trouble --- so they hid his body ?
It seemed like the family knew it wasn't their missing boy, but wanted to bring Bourdin to TX ; to hide something else.

Just my opinion and was thinking out loud. I think Bourdin should be locked up forever. Who knows what he's been up to ?

LolaAngelina
02-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Have just finished watching the imposter. I think Bourdin is a disgusting human being. The way he kept laughing when saying what he had done. The story about never being wanted, all excuses for why he did what he did.
The only thing he said that I did believe was that the family were involved in Nicholas's disappearance.
Sadly, it just makes sense. They said Nicholas was a very difficult child and never did what he was told. I think it became all too much for his mother or brother and they lost their temper with him.
I could believe at first that they believed it was him, because perhaps they so badly wanted it to be him.
After the FBI told them it was not him and they just refused to believe it? What reason would the FBI have to lie?
The reason the family would have to continue to say it was Nicholas, was of course because admitting it wasn't would bring back the question of well where is Nicholas?
Which of course in the end it was re-opened as a homicide.
A whole lot of lying going on in that doco.

The Cheese
03-29-2013, 11:52 PM
I just watched the movie The Imposter, and I've been googling to read more about Nicholas' case. What a shocking, twisted set of circumstances. And through it all, is an adorable 13 year old boy, missing, and likely murdered.

I also read that the P.I. Charlie Parker is still digging, and intends to keep on digging, to try to find Nicholas' body.

I've been trying to find a book about this case, but haven't found one. If anyone hears of one, would you please post here about it? Thank you.

I'm going to keep on seeing what else I can find to read about Nicholas.

I hope you're found soon, sweet boy. :heartbeat:

SCHMAE
04-01-2013, 09:41 AM
I just watched the movie The Imposter, and I've been googling to read more about Nicholas' case. What a shocking, twisted set of circumstances. And through it all, is an adorable 13 year old boy, missing, and likely murdered.

I also read that the P.I. Charlie Parker is still digging, and intends to keep on digging, to try to find Nicholas' body.

I've been trying to find a book about this case, but haven't found one. If anyone hears of one, would you please post here about it? Thank you.

I'm going to keep on seeing what else I can find to read about Nicholas.

I hope you're found soon, sweet boy. :heartbeat:

Cheese ! I'm watching it now ! Why didn't we talk about this before ? So many on ws have seen it and then another friend made me promise to watch it this week so I finally am doing so.. You know the saddest thing is that initially when Nicholas disappeared it was never even on the news. :( In that first few days is the time when most cases are solved and now there is little to no chance of it happening.

Dixie811
04-05-2013, 12:36 PM
I just watched The Imposter last weekend. When the film ended, I really felt as though one or more members of Nicholas's family knew what happened to him. I understand the idea of wanting your son to be found very badly, however Nicholas had been missing for three years-- and "came back" looking ENTIRELY different. Hair color, eye color, skin tone, build, language/accent, and I'm sure his mannerisms were different. Even the imposter himself seemed shocked that anyone would actually believe he was Nicholas Barclay once he saw in color what Nicholas looked like.

The detective in the documentary pointed out that the brother's claim that Nicholas tried to break into the home later on the night of the day he disappeared is a classic claim for someone who was involved in the missing person's disappearance.

Also, when the rest of the Barclay family seemingly believed that the imposter was Nicholas, his brother didn't seem to care or be interested at all.

I haven't done a lot of independent research about this case. So perhaps the hinky feeling I have towards the family is due to bias from the documentary.

margarita25
04-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Festival documentary looks at a missing boy and a grand deception

Today’s pick: The Imposter (4:30 p.m. Monday at the Dallas Angelika, 5321 E. Mockingbird Lane)

An adolescent boy disappears from San Antonio in 1994. His family, understandably, is crushed. Then, 31/2 years later, he appears in Spain.

The family is overjoyed — so overjoyed that it fails to overlook the obvious problems with this miracle resolution.

More: http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/movies/headlines/20120415-festival-documentary-looks-at-a-missing-boy-and-a-grand-deception.ece

Amazing documentary. An unbelievable story. A must see for anyone interested in missing persons cases. "The Imposter" is available on netflix.

Spurser
04-17-2013, 11:39 AM
I thought this sounded familiar to me when I read through this thread. They made a movie based on this story starring Ellen Barkin. It's on Netflix and it is really good. It's called The Chameleon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chameleon_(film)

I would love to see that documentary you all spoke of.

ttcRider
04-17-2013, 11:58 AM
I thought this sounded familiar to me when I read through this thread. They made a movie based on this story starring Ellen Barkin. It's on Netflix and it is really good. It's called The Chameleon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chameleon_(film)

I would love to see that documentary you all spoke of.

The Imposter is on Youtube. :) Its well worth watching.

Spurser
04-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Gonna watch it tonight. Thanks!

ttcRider
04-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Gonna watch it tonight. Thanks!

Its quite a ride. One of the best doc's of 2012. Enjoy!

BlithePlum
10-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Just watched The Imposter. Wow. :what:

TroyinTX
10-27-2013, 04:05 PM
I still tend to think his family knows what happened to him and did from the very beginning.

graysmama
11-26-2013, 04:09 AM
I watched this last night as well. I don't think mom and sister harmed Nicholas but the sister was overly defensive of the older brother Jason and it made me think there is more going on than they are telling regarding Jason. Bourdin was horrible though.

sherbetjello
01-23-2014, 10:44 PM
"The Imposter" is a wonderfully directed/scripted movie.
It should be running again on CNN for the next several nights.

It's piqued my interest in this case.
Nicholas is a beautiful child, even if he has had his share of run in's with the law.

Frannie
01-24-2014, 12:27 AM
Wow - what a story. Cant believe that family. If my son came back after only 3 1/2 years with a heavy accent, brown eyes and peroxide hair and a totally different personality......... I would be afraid to have this stranger in my house.

Carmen29
01-24-2014, 01:41 AM
Just watched the movie. Creepy. I thought it was strange how the mother denied having the tantrum on the floor. Then the sister also denied knowing it wasn't her brother when she greeted him at the airport. Is it possible the mother took something to pass the first polygraph? Although you can't believe a liar I thought it was interesting that he said the brother was the only one that didnt treat him like Nicolas. Was hoping they were going to find something buried. Not sure what the brothers motive would be unless he just had a temper problem and something happened.maybe he picked him up that night and was angry about it. Odd Nicolas disappeared the night before his court case though.

TStewPrincess14
01-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Watched this documentary awhile back on a google search for best crime documentary on Netflix. What a great documentary! So many pieces to this odd puzzle, but it definitely left me wondering if it was the family. I have a hard time believing anyone could con their way into a family like that unless the family wanted it. There's no way anyone could "act" like me, or con my family into believing someone else is me. I thought it was interesting the con man pointed out that the family helped him to be their missing relative. Was the family trying to pull a con as well? So many questions.

andthisismykindofluv
12-04-2014, 05:17 PM
This case has always interested me I am from San Antonio and it just doesn't sit well. I am bumping for Nick hoping he comes home or someone finds out what has happened to him.

MagnoliaMountain
12-06-2014, 04:28 PM
I just had to think of this case today and saw that someone posted here...I just wish Nicholas would be found one day. Someone out there knows what happened to him and maybe even where his remains can be found...I'm sure about that after watching the documentary a while ago.