PDA

View Full Version : MI MI - Jodi Parrack, 11, Constantine, Kent County, 7 Nov 2007 - body found in cemetery

Pages : [1] 2

Jolynna
11-10-2007, 01:17 AM
CONSTANTINE, MICHIGAN-- The body of an 11-year-old girl has been discovered in a Constantine cemetery.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21704774/

http://www.fox28.com/News/index.php?ID=27873

KrisNine
11-10-2007, 01:23 AM
How sad. I hadn't even heard about her missing. :( Sad.

Bizarre that her own mother found her.

Jolynna
11-10-2007, 01:46 AM
How sad. I hadn't even heard about her missing. :( Sad.

Bizarre that her own mother found her.

I thought it was strange that the mother found her too.

reb
11-10-2007, 02:06 AM
jeez... it seems like they are dying faster than the media can report about them. what the hell is going on.......???

Greywing
11-10-2007, 07:41 AM
I thought it was strange that the mother found her too.

But then again perhaps not so strange ... if my daughter were missing, I'd be searching harder than anyone else.

richandfamous
11-10-2007, 08:00 AM
http://www.fox28.com/Images/110907ConstantineMurder2.jpg
God Bless Her Little Soul

kahskye
11-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Prayers for this mother. I have an 11 yr old and I'd be out 24/7 searching for her if she was missing. I can't imagine how this mother's heart must have pounded in pain as she discovered her own daughter.

Reannan
11-10-2007, 08:43 AM
WTF? :confused:

KatK
11-10-2007, 10:15 AM
I don't know what to think of this... In a cemetary, two and a half to three and a half hours after being reported officially missing? What a horrible way to find a loved one. :( :( :( I hope my jaded side is mistaken, too.

Lola
11-10-2007, 11:15 AM
jeez... it seems like they are dying faster than the media can report about them. what the hell is going on.......???

I was thinking the same thing, reb. :(

Taximom
11-10-2007, 11:19 AM

reb, I was just thinking the same thing as I kept opening threads this a.m. titled "missing child found dead in cave...in cemetary...in park..." :( :(

Hug your children a lot and keep them close.

Jolynna
11-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Police are looking for a light-colored van. They wouldn't go into any more detail except to say there had been some reports recently of suspicious vehicles following children. They don't know if it's connected.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/11155741.html

Just after the start of the school year, investigators in nearby Three Rivers warned parents about a suspicious vehicle, an SUV or van, trying to pick up kids. But prosecutor Fisher said, "We have no connection yet. I don't know that we will."

http://www.woodtv.com/global/story.asp?s=7335158&ClientType=Printable

Carver contacted police after her daughter failed to return at 5:30 p.m. from visiting friends on East Third Street, Honeysett said. The girl had been seen earlier riding a silver Mongoose bicycle.
"About 7:30 p.m., she (Carver) came down here and we took an initial report," Honeysett said. "Our officer told her to start contacting Jodi's friends, and he started making calls and personal visits."
Carver, other family members and friends began their own search, which ended with the discovery of the girl's body in the cemetery.

http://blog.mlive.com/kzgazette/2007/11/fbi_joins_probe_of_girls_death.html

dkitty
11-10-2007, 12:16 PM
:( :(

MeoW333
11-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Was the cemetery nearby to a route Jodi would have taken to get to her house or go with her friends? Also, was the bike she was riding found too? If it wasn't found with her body, then the bike would be where she was before the cemetery i would think. There's no visible trauma, then i guess we will have to wait for the results to see if there was any sexual misconduct involved. She is a beautiful child, and a pervert would be enticed. What made her mother check the cemetery if it wasn't usually a place where the children played? How long was the mother searching before she checked in the cemetery?
I wonder if they do any toxicology tests on her and what that will turn up if there is no visible trauma. If it was a pervert, you would think she would try to fight or run and show bruises around her arm or something (grabbing marks). Something is amiss here..
Where the perv in the beige/light color older model van was spotted following kids; how far are those towns from where Jodi lived? If someone had a tranq gun and shot a child with it, then planned on kidnapping them, got distracted and paranoid at either others approaching or potential witnesses then took off. ..sounds like a long shot yet you never know nowadays. It's just if there was no visible bruises or sexual assault involved then that leaves us with someone who knew her personally that she trusted enough not to fight back. I hope they find the culprit..

Jolynna
11-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Was the cemetery nearby to a route Jodi would have taken to get to her house or go with her friends? Also, was the bike she was riding found too? If it wasn't found with her body, then the bike would be where she was before the cemetery i would think. There's no visible trauma, then i guess we will have to wait for the results to see if there was any sexual misconduct involved. She is a beautiful child, and a pervert would be enticed. What made her mother check the cemetery if it wasn't usually a place where the children played? How long was the mother searching before she checked in the cemetery?
I wonder if they do any toxicology tests on her and what that will turn up if there is no visible trauma. If it was a pervert, you would think she would try to fight or run and show bruises around her arm or something (grabbing marks). Something is amiss here..
Where the perv in the beige/light color older model van was spotted following kids; how far are those towns from where Jodi lived? If someone had a tranq gun and shot a child with it, then planned on kidnapping them, got distracted and paranoid at either others approaching or potential witnesses then took off. ..sounds like a long shot yet you never know nowadays. It's just if there was no visible bruises or sexual assault involved then that leaves us with someone who knew her personally that she trusted enough not to fight back. I hope they find the culprit..

What I heard on the news was that the mother saw the bicycle by the cemetery and that is why the mother looked *in* the cemetery.

None of the other towns where there were reports about the light colored van are *that* far from Constantine.

KatK
11-12-2007, 05:45 AM
Any word on a suspect description yet? :(

*Bump*

ljwf22
11-12-2007, 09:11 AM
No. This happened quite close to where I live, less than 15 miles. I'll post some local links:

Prosecutor: ‘Children are going to help us solve this case’ Link:http://www.sturgisjournal.com/articles/2007/11/12/news/doc47385151d0057025959686.txt

Kalamazoo Gazette: "Police have asked anyone who may have seen suspicious people or vehicles in the village Thursday to come forward. Specifically, investigators have said a light-colored "painters-style" van was seen near Constantine Middle School on Thursday.

At Saturday's news conference, authorities further revealed that a dark-colored pickup truck, possibly a Ford Ranger, also was seen Thursday afternoon in the vicinity of the cemetery." Link: http://blog.mlive.com/kzgazette/2007/11/police_get_150_tips_in_girls_h.html

Constantine is a very small town. This has really shaken people to the core. With the earlier reports of a guy in a van approaching girls in at least 4 communities, it's scary. As for Jodi, a friend (who is male) has said she avoided the cemetery. It was near her home, but not on the route she would've taken to get home from her (another friend, a girl) friend's house.

Although I am always outside to wait with my son for his bus, as do most parents in our neighborhood, now every one is hyper-protective.

kahskye
11-12-2007, 09:13 AM
I sure hope they find who murdered this beautiful girl. I didn't at first, but my dh thought it strange that the mother found her.

JinxieJada
11-12-2007, 09:18 AM
from what I read, the cemetary was in the opposite direction of where she should have been coming from.

what keeps getting to me is the are so hush hush on everything AND, WHY was she taken and killed. They're stating no obvious signs of abuse nor cause of death. MOST that seem to abduct kids do it for a reason...Sick reasons, but there is still a reason behind it.

Mom finding her strikes me as unusual. Nothing has been said about anyone else being w/ her at the time. To me it's both odd and heartbreaking. I can't imagine, being left alone at a time like that, nevermind searching alone.

misterallgood
11-12-2007, 09:54 AM
There is a sex offender (http://www.mipsor.state.mi.us/PSORSearchDetails.aspx?oid=8509659) living just a stone's throw from that cemetery (2/10ths of a mile). I'd imagine, though, that police would have already questioned him and the rest of the 26 or so offenders living in Constantine.

An old friend of mine lives just down the road from Constantine (on Constantine Rd, in fact) and she told me of suspicious vehicles following kids in the area weeks ago. She said local parents were frustrated because they weren't sure how seriously the police were taking the situation.

Steve/Mr. A

ljwf22
11-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Jodi's visitation is today, funeral Tuesday.
"Meanwhile, officials at Eley Funeral Home in Constantine said they were expecting a large number of people to be on hand Monday during visitation for Jodi, which was scheduled for 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 p.m. A funeral service for the girl is scheduled for 11 a.m. Tuesday at Trinity Missionary Church in Constantine." (from the Kalamazoo Gazette)

ljwf22
11-12-2007, 10:28 AM
There is a sex offender (http://www.mipsor.state.mi.us/PSORSearchDetails.aspx?oid=8509659) living just a stone's throw from that cemetery (2/10ths of a mile). I'd imagine, though, that police would have already questioned him and the rest of the 26 or so offenders living in Constantine.

An old friend of mine lives just down the road from Constantine (on Constantine Rd, in fact) and she told me of suspicious vehicles following kids in the area weeks ago. She said local parents were frustrated because they weren't sure how seriously the police were taking the situation.

Steve/Mr. A

Very frustrated. My son's school sent home a note, informing parents to surpervise more closely. Hopefully, with the FBI involved things will move more quickly. It's not going to help that paramedics were called when jer mom found her, so the crime scene was disturbed. So odd, that no visible signs of trauma were found. Our neighborhood watch chairwoman thinks Jodi's friends 'scared her to death and put her in the cemetery when they realized she was dead.'

believe09
11-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Jodi's visitation is today, funeral Tuesday.
"Meanwhile, officials at Eley Funeral Home in Constantine said they were expecting a large number of people to be on hand Monday during visitation for Jodi, which was scheduled for 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 p.m. A funeral service for the girl is scheduled for 11 a.m. Tuesday at Trinity Missionary Church in Constantine." (from the Kalamazoo Gazette)

So there must have been a completed autopsy and tox screen etc...?

SewingDeb
11-12-2007, 11:18 AM
There was an autopsy

http://www.sturgisjournal.com/articles/2007/11/12/news/doc47385151d0057025959686.txt

CONSTANTINE - The death of 11-year-old Jodi Christine Parrack of Constantine has been ruled a homicide with an undetermined cause.

and

Investigators await official laboratory results.

believe09
11-12-2007, 11:23 AM
It just seems like a quick turnaround considering the circumstances.

ljwf22
11-12-2007, 12:00 PM
It just seems like a quick turnaround considering the circumstances.

I'm confused as well. No obvious signs of trauma, yet it was ruled homicide right away by the ME.

TGIRecovered
11-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Very frustrated. My son's school sent home a note, informing parents to surpervise more closely. Hopefully, with the FBI involved things will move more quickly. It's not going to help that paramedics were called when jer mom found her, so the crime scene was disturbed. So odd, that no visible signs of trauma were found. Our neighborhood watch chairwoman thinks Jodi's friends 'scared her to death and put her in the cemetery when they realized she was dead.'

Seriously?!

Susan

SewingDeb
11-12-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm confused as well. No obvious signs of trauma, yet it was ruled homicide right away by the ME.

Count me in on that too. They must know something they are not releasing to the public.

TGIRecovered
11-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Anybody know if the ME is a real doctor? Recent cases discussed here on WS have shown that you can't always depend on them knowing what they are doing. It could have been just a funeral director who did the autopsy.

susan

ljwf22
11-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Seriously?!

Susan
Seriously. I felt like I was having a conversation from the 'Twilight Zone'. I didn't know what to say in response. I think I said ingesting Aqua Dots would be more likely.

ljwf22
11-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Anybody know if the ME is a real doctor? Recent cases discussed here on WS have shown that you can't always depend on them knowing what they are doing. It could have been just a funeral director who did the autopsy.

susan

Good question. Just this: "Jodi was found dead Thursday night in the Constantine Township Cemetery by her mother. Authorities have ruled her death a homicide, but have declined to release the cause of her death."
Kalamazoo Gazette: http://blog.mlive.com/kzgazette/2007/11/sitll_no_suspects_in_constanti.html

SewingDeb
11-12-2007, 12:22 PM
"It's been determined to be, at least according to Dr. Cohle, a homicide. The manner of which I can not divulge and I don't know if he's made that determination," said Holly Curtis of the St. Joseph County Prosecutor's Office.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7341661&nav=0Rce

SewingDeb
11-12-2007, 12:27 PM

susan

It is a Dr. Cohle according to the last link I posted.

Lola
11-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Here's the ME
Michigan medical examiner's heart is in job (http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0507/23/metro-256534.htm)

ljwf22
11-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Here's the ME
Michigan medical examiner's heart is in job (http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0507/23/metro-256534.htm)

Sounds well qualified to me.

SewingDeb
11-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks Lola. Dr. Cohle is very experienced so I feel sure the exact cause of death will be determined.

teonspaleprincess
11-12-2007, 12:57 PM
This is a very perplexing case. I hope that answers come quickly. I wonder if they possibly already have a POI?

ljwf22
11-12-2007, 12:59 PM
This is a very perplexing case. I hope that answers come quickly. I wonder if they possibly already have a POI?

If LE does, they are keeping it under wraps. They've gotten over 200 tips and have a few vehicle-types of interest.

kahskye
11-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Another article:

Police believe someone abducted 11-year-old Jodi Parrack as she rode her bike home from a friend's house, then killed her.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/11155741.html

MeoW333
11-12-2007, 10:41 PM
If she was fleeing the murderer, she may have been panic and frantic, and either rode towards the cemetery to divert the culprit away from her house so he/she didn't know where she lived, or just out of panic. She could have dropped her bike and then ran, thinking maybe she could hide somewhere in the cemetery. Young children would panic under these circumstances, and not necessarily be able to think clearly in such a state of mind. If the killer was someone local or didn't want to be recognized that would be why she was murdered. A normal sex pervert would leave some kind of sex evidence. So even if it was a pervert, something had to distract him from kidnapping her or doing something disgusting.
I'm sure the LE can't release the COD, they have to have something left secret for when they interview the suspects. Some people are crazy and will confess to crimes they had nothing to do with, so the COD would be important to keep under wraps. I would think some kind of drug was used if there was no visible trauma.
Does anyone know if Jodi had a history of asthma?

Lola
11-13-2007, 06:17 AM
Two things jump out at me from what little we know: the prosecutor's remark that "Children are going to help us solve this case" and the apparent coincidence of Dr. Cohle's speciality of death from sudden cardiac arrest.

I wonder if Jodi was kidnapped and died of fright or something of the sort??

ljwf22
11-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Here's Jodi's obituary. She's attended several school districts in the area and went to church youth group with many of the kids from my school.
Link: http://www.sturgisjournal.com/articles/2007/11/12/obituaries/doc47392941a3fa4500

angelmom
11-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Here's Jodi's obituary. She's attended several school districts in the area and went to church youth group with many of the kids from my school.
Link: http://www.sturgisjournal.com/articles/2007/11/12/obituaries/doc47392941a3fa4500

That link doesn't work for me.

angelmom
11-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Try this...

http://www.sturgisjournal.com/articles/2007/11/12/obituaries/doc47392941a3fa4500943823.txt

TGIRecovered
11-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Seriously. I felt like I was having a conversation from the 'Twilight Zone'. I didn't know what to say in response. I think I said ingesting Aqua Dots would be more likely.

Bwahahahaha! You are sharp!

Susan

TGIRecovered
11-13-2007, 02:55 PM

susan

I guess a better question would be:

If it was a real doctor, was he/she intoxicated, senile, the holder of an honorary doctorate, a doctor of medicine, sympathetic to the perpatrator, sleepy, lazy, paid off or blackmailed, boogeying to the "carwash" song, or otherwise incompetent?

(I'm feeling rather punchy lately. Must be all those dead copwives whose COB hubbies walk free.)

Susan

OOPs! I see that this has been ansewred already. wooHooo...looks like this one's good!

TGIRecovered
11-13-2007, 03:16 PM
If she was fleeing the murderer, she may have been panic and frantic, and either rode towards the cemetery to divert the culprit away from her house so he/she didn't know where she lived, or just out of panic. She could have dropped her bike and then ran, thinking maybe she could hide somewhere in the cemetery. Young children would panic under these circumstances, and not necessarily be able to think clearly in such a state of mind. If the killer was someone local or didn't want to be recognized that would be why she was murdered. A normal sex pervert would leave some kind of sex evidence. So even if it was a pervert, something had to distract him from kidnapping her or doing something disgusting.
I'm sure the LE can't release the COD, they have to have something left secret for when they interview the suspects. Some people are crazy and will confess to crimes they had nothing to do with, so the COD would be important to keep under wraps. I would think some kind of drug was used if there was no visible trauma.
Does anyone know if Jodi had a history of asthma?

Very good question. If it was a pervert he probably did not intend to assault her right there in the cemetary at such an early hour of the evening.
Maybe he intended to drug or otherwise incapacitate her and take her to a more private place to assault her but something happened...asthma attack or allergic reaction to some knockout drug as you speculate, MeoW.

I have to say, this one also sounds like it could be a fake stranger abduction. My first thought was something happened to her when she was at the friend's house or right after she got home and she was dumped with the bike in the cemetary to look like it happened there.

It is suspicious to me that she was already on the way home at 4::30-4:45 if she was not due home until 5:30.
My kids avoid coming home early at all costs...5 min. late is the norm. I'd be calling the friend's house then if I did not find her between there and home, it would take me about 5 min. to call other nearby friends then I'd be calling 911.

How far between friend's house and her home? I let mine that age go alone just down the street or around the block with a friend and a cell phone. Anywhere out of my sight-range without a buddy is not allowed.

Susan

Jolynna
11-13-2007, 08:55 PM
http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7352705&nav=0Rce

At the service at Trinity Missionary Church, Stauffer talked of the family's baptism about a year ago, and about a passage Jodi highlighted in her Bible. It was Christ talking to his disciples.

"He said, 'I'm not calling you to just love the lovable, or love those who love you," Pastor Stauffer said. "'But I'm calling you to love the unlovable, your enemies."

Jolynna
11-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Very good question. If it was a pervert he probably did not intend to assault her right there in the cemetary at such an early hour of the evening.
Maybe he intended to drug or otherwise incapacitate her and take her to a more private place to assault her but something happened...asthma attack or allergic reaction to some knockout drug as you speculate, MeoW.

I have to say, this one also sounds like it could be a fake stranger abduction. My first thought was something happened to her when she was at the friend's house or right after she got home and she was dumped with the bike in the cemetary to look like it happened there.

It is suspicious to me that she was already on the way home at 4::30-4:45 if she was not due home until 5:30.
My kids avoid coming home early at all costs...5 min. late is the norm. I'd be calling the friend's house then if I did not find her between there and home, it would take me about 5 min. to call other nearby friends then I'd be calling 911.

How far between friend's house and her home? I let mine that age go alone just down the street or around the block with a friend and a cell phone. Anywhere out of my sight-range without a buddy is not allowed.

Susan

The news reports I am hearing say nobody has been ruled out.

Jolynna
11-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Constantine Police Chief Mark Honeysett says children do not normally "hang out" in the cemetery, and that passing through it would not have been a likely route of travel for Jodi.

"An extra degree of caution would be a good idea," St. Joseph County Prosecutor Doug Fisher said when asked if parents should be worried about a killer on the loose. "We are of the opinion she was abducted."
He said while there is currently no proof of sexual assault, investigators have not ruled it out.

"There was nothing to indicate she was beaten or struck in anyway. There was just no clear sign of trauma," said Constantine Police Chief Mark Honeysett.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7335158&nav=menu44_2

Jolynna
11-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Parrack rode her bike from her friend's house. Police think she may have stopped at a store on her way home in Constantine.

http://www.fox28.com/News/index.php?ID=28033

MeoW333
11-14-2007, 02:43 AM
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Constantine,+MI,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=image

Hopefully this link works, if not let me know. It is for the Constantine area (you may have to zoom in again) it shows where the cemetery is and opposite end of W 3rd st towards Centreville rd is where i would assume she was near. If she did stop at a store, was it a convience store? Maybe she had wanted to get candy on the way home. If the store has security cameras, i hope they got it on tape. Then we would know if anyone else was in the store around that time. That may be why she left her friends' early; if she was getting hungry before dinner time and wanted to make a quick pit stop to get a snack.

ljwf22, being such a small tight knit community, is there one main church were mainly most all attend? You had mentioned the church groups.. i was wondering if the children also following by these suspicious white/beige vans or pickup trucks; if the police checked those reports to see if they all went to the same church. If a pervert was going to church to blend in, they would also be able to get a look at all the children there while others just assumed they were enjoying God's graces. It sounds horrible, with the world we live in nowadays.. i hope they look into that.

ljwf22
11-14-2007, 10:55 AM
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Constantine,+MI,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=image

Hopefully this link works, if not let me know. It is for the Constantine area (you may have to zoom in again) it shows where the cemetery is and opposite end of W 3rd st towards Centreville rd is where i would assume she was near. If she did stop at a store, was it a convience store? Maybe she had wanted to get candy on the way home. If the store has security cameras, i hope they got it on tape. Then we would know if anyone else was in the store around that time. That may be why she left her friends' early; if she was getting hungry before dinner time and wanted to make a quick pit stop to get a snack.

ljwf22, being such a small tight knit community, is there one main church were mainly most all attend? You had mentioned the church groups.. i was wondering if the children also following by these suspicious white/beige vans or pickup trucks; if the police checked those reports to see if they all went to the same church. If a pervert was going to church to blend in, they would also be able to get a look at all the children there while others just assumed they were enjoying God's graces. It sounds horrible, with the world we live in nowadays.. i hope they look into that.
The church where the funeral was held was not the church she attended. There are at least 10 churches in Constantine - the one where her funeral was is probably the largest. The one she attended is quite small but growing. It is located near Nottawa, about 15 miles northeast of Constantine. It is a very close but welcoming congregation.

There was a scare at Constantine's middle school yesterday. Some parents picking up kids thought they saw a child being forced into a vehicle. It was checked out and proven to be not the case. People around here are being super vigilant.

kahskye
11-14-2007, 12:07 PM
I found this that states that Jodi had no medical problems, which would rule out asthma.

wwmt.com - November 11, 2007

Excerpt: A little girl with no medical problems, no drug problems and a clean bill of health, found dead in the cemetery with no physical evidence on her body.

http://boards.crimelibrary.com/showthread.php?p=9051489

Jolynna
11-14-2007, 12:57 PM
According to Holly Curtis, St. Joseph County Prosecutor, the light colored van and dark Ford Ranger have been ruled out. She talked to the Nancy Grace show last night:

CURTIS: Where we were is we had announced in the initial press release that we were looking for a light-colored older van, as well as we were looking for a dark colored pick-up truck, a Ranger-type style. I think from what I`ve heard recently, we have ruled those vehicles out. We have followed up on those, and they have innocent explanations of why they`d be in the area.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0711/12/ng.01.html

ljwf22
11-14-2007, 01:38 PM
According to Holly Curtis, St. Joseph County Prosecutor, the light colored van and dark Ford Ranger have been ruled out. She talked to the Nancy Grace show last night:

CURTIS: Where we were is we had announced in the initial press release that we were looking for a light-colored older van, as well as we were looking for a dark colored pick-up truck, a Ranger-type style. I think from what I`ve heard recently, we have ruled those vehicles out. We have followed up on those, and they have innocent explanations of why they`d be in the area.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0711/12/ng.01.html

Thanks for the link. The reporter they talked to from the Sturgis Journal lives in Constantine. He said the bike was borrowed from a friend. It also should be noted that US-131 goes right through the middle of Constantine and has very heavy north-south traffic.

I thought this was interesting:
BROOKS: I want to go back out to Holly Curtis joining us by phone from Constantine, Michigan. She is the St. Joseph County prosecutor. Now, on the route from her friend`s house where she was last seen and going home, along this route, the cemetery`s somewhere in between. But is there a business district that she would have to go through where there could be any cameras at some of the businesses or ATM machines?

CURTIS: Actually, in the area that she was leaving from, which would have been on Third Street, which ultimately turns into Centerville Road, where she lives, there wouldn`t have really been any businesses. The cemetery is actually located about a half mile from the home, and there is actually businesses in that area. And we have been doing what we can to try to see if there`s any video footage or security footage that we would be able to use or have access to.
"
I'm still not sure where Jodi's house is, other than Centreville Road.

TGIRecovered
11-14-2007, 02:18 PM
I found this that states that Jodi had no medical problems, which would rule out ashma.

wwmt.com - November 11, 2007

Excerpt: A little girl with no medical problems, no drug problems and a clean bill of health, found dead in the cemetery with no physical evidence on her body.

http://boards.crimelibrary.com/showthread.php?p=9051489

If toxicology test don't reveal something else, what is left? Some kind of substance they don't usually test for?
Could she have been very gently smothered by someone she knew? How do you smother an 11 year old without any trauma from holding her down?

It's looking less like a stranger abduction to me.

Susan

KatK
11-14-2007, 05:18 PM
:waitasec: Aren't there date rape type drugs that breakdown into compounds normally found in the body? Could it have been something like that? :confused: If so, it could still be a relative stranger, or an acquaintance.

TGIRecovered
11-14-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm thinking if it was a stranger she would have fought ferociously and have some signs of that on her body.

Susan

KatK
11-14-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm thinking if it was a stranger she would have fought ferociously and have some signs of that on her body.

Susan

A complete stranger, yes. But what if it was an adult she thought wasn't a "stranger". A classmate's parent, or bus driver, or the like? :eek:

MeoW333
11-15-2007, 01:23 AM
I agree with you on that, KatK. My guess would be it was someone she knew of or was relatively familiar with enough for their not to have been evidence of a struggle. Also until they can determine whether or not it is a secondary crime scene.. if it is secondary then the place where the actual murder occurred would need to be found and evidence taken from there. I don't understand why the killer would bother to take the bicycle with her and dump it unless they are very smart or have done this before to throw off LE..
To cart a bike around only would make them have more work to do with wiping off prints from it and whatnot. I wonder if someone she knew lured her into the cemetery with some ploy such as a lost pet or whatnot; it wouldn't have been the first instance of such a case. An innocent child, unsuspecting would fall victim to such a ploy. I guess LE will have to go by the toxicology report. That should be able to tell them (assuming a chemical was used due to lack of physical trauma) about the killer and his/her familiarity with different drugs/chemicals. Maybe they can work from there.
Smaller towns/areas do not usually have a lot of crime so the demand for surveillance cameras isn't high. Unfortunately, the lack of this type security also provides opportunity for predators.
I would not rule out the suspicious vehicles altogether; there usually are more than one of the same in an area. The older van sounds like it could be a Ford Econoline style type deal. Ford Ranger pickup trucks are relatively small and most come off the factory line in darker colors. They also aren't always 4 wheel drive; it's optional - even the older models. There has to be a balance where it's not a hysterical "witch hunt" for the vehicles yet not rule them out altogether.

KatK
11-15-2007, 05:08 AM
<snip> I don't understand why the killer would bother to take the bicycle with her and dump it unless they are very smart or have done this before to throw off LE..
To cart a bike around only would make them have more work to do with wiping off prints from it and whatnot. I wonder if someone she knew lured her into the cemetery with some ploy such as a lost pet or whatnot; it wouldn't have been the first instance of such a case. <snip>

Well, if they wore gloves that'd make things easier. And I also wonder if she wasn't lured by someone she felt was a adult safe to trust? :(

SewingDeb
11-15-2007, 09:42 AM
I think that's very possible KatK.

iNTERESTEDWOMAN
11-15-2007, 10:21 AM
They say there is nothing to indicate sexual assult, but have not ruled it out? I don't get it. She was 11 years old, there would be some sort of vaginal truma, (or other body parts) if sexual assult where the case. So really all we have here is a dead little girl. Is there a father? I only see mention of her mother and 2 brothers. A wonder if there is a "boyfriend"...oh gawd, I hope not.

KatK
11-15-2007, 10:23 AM
They say there is nothing to indicate sexual assult, but have not ruled it out? I don't get it. She was 11 years old, there would be some sort of vaginal truma, (or other body parts) if sexual assult where the case. So really all we have here is a dead little girl. Is there a father? I only see mention of her mother and 2 brothers. A wonder if there is a "boyfriend"...oh gawd, I hope not.

If it were penile penetration yes, but what of mouth, fingers or slim objects? Not to mention forced fellatio.. :( :sick: :( :sick:

iNTERESTEDWOMAN
11-15-2007, 10:39 AM
The news reported she was found fully clothed. Obviously anything is possible. In a town of 2100 with 26 registered sex offenders is pretty disturbing.

Lola
11-15-2007, 10:46 AM
The news reported she was found fully clothed. Obviously anything is possible. In a town of 2100 with 26 registered sex offenders is pretty disturbing.

That's a shocking statistic.

MeoW333
11-15-2007, 12:18 PM
It seems there is so little to go on, i hope they took a lot of fiber samples. KatK, i think he/she was likely wearing gloves, that makes sense especially with the weather getting colder in the nortern parts.

ljwf22
11-15-2007, 12:34 PM

That includes a large rural area.

ljwf22
11-15-2007, 12:37 PM
I checked, it's still about 14 RSOs in town. Too many.

SewingDeb
11-15-2007, 01:56 PM
They said over 200 for the county.

ljwf22
11-15-2007, 03:40 PM

Yes, she has a father. He attended her funeral.

Jolynna
11-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Yes, she has a father. He attended her funeral.

My understanding is that she was living with her mother and stepfather.

There are pictures of the mother, stepfather and biological father here:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7352705

Jolynna
11-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Nobody saw Jodi after 4:45.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/11327126.html

Police have received 327 tips but are still looking for that one, "who may have seen Jodi after 4:45. We haven't found anyone who saw her after 4:45," said Chief Mark Honeysett, Constantine Police.

KatK
11-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Nobody saw Jodi after 4:45.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/11327126.html

Police have received 327 tips but are still looking for that one, "who may have seen Jodi after 4:45. We haven't found anyone who saw her after 4:45," said Chief Mark Honeysett, Constantine Police.

Gah! What time was she found at again? We already need a timeline for this? :( ETA: Ok, this (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21704774/) msnbc article says just after 10:30PM. That's actually a pretty wide margin to set up an alibi.

Jolynna
11-15-2007, 06:33 PM
The police believe there was a lapse of time after Jodi left her friend's house before she was murdered.

http://www.fox28.com/News/index.php?ID=28152

Right now, Police are looking for someone who may have seen Jodi Parrack after 4:45 p.m. the day she disappeared.

They now believe there was a lapse of time, possibly a couple of hours before she was murdered.

ljwf22
11-15-2007, 09:50 PM
This isn't just affecting one town. Jodi went to schools in at least three other nearby communities. I hope they're checking out people she might have known or who might have known her.

ljwf22
11-15-2007, 10:08 PM
I just went through the Michigan State Police Sex Offender Registry and there are 279 in St. Joseph County. With a 2000 population of 62,422 that's one for every 224 people! :eek:

Beyond Belief
11-15-2007, 10:11 PM
This case is really upsetting me. I have a horrible feeling this was done by a young teenager, someone she may know from the neighborhood or church. I think the intention was rape and he got cold feet, but killed her so she wouldn't tell.:(

CarpeDiem
11-15-2007, 10:15 PM
This case is really upsetting me. I have a horrible feeling this was done by a young teenager, someone she may know from the neighborhood or church. I think the intention was rape and he got cold feet, but killed her so she wouldn't tell.:(

Or peer/older girl(s) that considered her a rival in some way.

CaliKid
11-15-2007, 10:26 PM
She was only 11 years old- how could she possibly be a rival for anyone with a grudge so bad they'd murder a child! I'm not doubting you, CD, but it just boggles the mind.

TGIRecovered
11-15-2007, 11:30 PM
How old is step-dad?

Susan

kahskye
11-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Could someone possibly have scared her to death, causing her heart to stop?

MeoW333
11-15-2007, 11:52 PM

Beyond Belief, i think you may have something here.. i was wondering if any of her friends' have older brothers..

SewingDeb
11-16-2007, 01:44 AM
She was only 11 years old- how could she possibly be a rival for anyone with a grudge so bad they'd murder a child! I'm not doubting you, CD, but it just boggles the mind.

It happens. A 10 year old girl was killed by 4 teenagers a few years ago (in Burlington NC) because a teenaged girl thought she was after her boyfriend.

Jolynna
11-16-2007, 02:08 AM
Since she wasn't seen by anyone after she told her friends she was going to go home, maybe someone she knew "gave her a ride". I don't think she would have gotten in a vehicle with a stranger. Whoever took her also took the bicycle, which would have made a struggle more likely to have been noticed.

That she wasn't seen after she said she was going home, makes me think she wasn't on the street very long.

Jolynna
11-16-2007, 02:27 AM
Police say they are closer to finding Jodi's killer:

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/11389066.html

Finding out what happened lies within the path Jodi Parrack took the night she was killed. Police say Jodi Parrack left her friend's house at the 100-block of East Third Street and headed west toward the downtown area.
Just a block away is where she was last seen at the intersection of East Third Street and Washington. Police say after she left there someone had to have seen her.

"It stands to reason that she was somewhere between where she was last seen and the time that she met her killer, [it] stands to reason that someone would have seen her," said Honeysett.

angelmom
11-16-2007, 06:34 AM
I just went through the Michigan State Police Sex Offender Registry and there are 279 in St. Joseph County. With a 2000 population of 62,422 that's one for every 224 people! :eek:

Well, unless the judge there is really on a kick about it. He may be making everyone register whose crime is even remotely sexual. We have heard about all kinds of people being put on the registry that do nothing but clog it up - people charged with peeing behind a bush when intoxicated, consensual sex between adults in a public place (lovers lane type of thing), Romeo and Juliet "statutory rape" cases, etc.

Then there are the low level offenders who might not be on there in a bigger city - flashers, peeping toms, etc. who a small town judge might include.

That's why the registry needs to be fixed before it will do any good. We have no idea if those people are good suspects or not. It could be 219 fairly normal people (with maybe less than stellar judgement when they drink) and 5 pervs. Or maybe the town hosts a pedo ring. Who knows???

Sorry...off my soap box now. :blushing:

Lola
11-16-2007, 06:53 AM

Finding out what happened lies within the path Jodi Parrack took the night she was killed. Police say Jodi Parrack left her friend's house at the 100-block of East Third Street and headed west toward the downtown area.
Just a block away is where she was last seen at the intersection of East Third Street and Washington. Police say after she left there someone had to have seen her.

"It stands to reason that she was somewhere between where she was last seen and the time that she met her killer, [it] stands to reason that someone would have seen her," said Honeysett.

What that article tells me is that the police haven't got a clue - surely they would have some idea of time of death. They are talking about a six hour window - surely it's been narrowed down??

ljwf22
11-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Well, unless the judge there is really on a kick about it. He may be making everyone register whose crime is even remotely sexual. We have heard about all kinds of people being put on the registry that do nothing but clog it up - people charged with peeing behind a bush when intoxicated, consensual sex between adults in a public place (lovers lane type of thing), Romeo and Juliet "statutory rape" cases, etc.

Then there are the low level offenders who might not be on there in a bigger city - flashers, peeping toms, etc. who a small town judge might include.

That's why the registry needs to be fixed before it will do any good. We have no idea if those people are good suspects or not. It could be 219 fairly normal people (with maybe less than stellar judgement when they drink) and 5 pervs. Or maybe the town hosts a pedo ring. Who knows???

Sorry...off my soap box now. :blushing:

My husband feels the same way, angelmom. There are many of the 'Romeo & Juliet' types on the registry. The laws are pretty tough in this state. Now they're complaining that we 'over-incarcerate' at least compared to neighboring states.

ljwf22
11-16-2007, 08:27 AM
What that article tells me is that the police haven't got a clue - surely they would have some idea of time of death. They are talking about a six hour window - surely it's been narrowed down??

They aren't saying a word. They did call paramedics who tried to revive her, so I'm thinking some valuable evidence was disturbed. Hopefully, it won't matter. The prosecutor's office has a pretty good record but I don't recall any case like this here.

Lola
11-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks lwjf22. That's interesting that they called paramedics.
I would imagine that the paramedics actions would be able to be seperated from anything that might point elsewhere. I agree this is a very strange case.

Surely they've bagged her hands and done the usual. Let's just hope the police have a lot more than they're letting on.

iNTERESTEDWOMAN
11-16-2007, 09:48 AM
I wonder if her step dad is on the SO registry. I hate to be such a judgemental thing, but we hear about these step-dads/boyfriends so often, that it's almost a given anymore.

If someone picked her up, and took her bike along, it was likely a pick-up or SUV. A car or a van would have taken longer, to manipulate a larger bike into, and more noticable by a witness. If there was no struggle, nothing out of the ordinary found in the autopsy, then it was probably someone she knows. I wonder if he has an alibi?

ckwood32
11-16-2007, 10:03 AM
I had to read that paragraph over and over - it sounds like they don't have a clue what happened - I mean it's obvious something happened between the time she was last seen and when her body was found! Obviously someone saw her - her killer did.

ljwf22
11-16-2007, 10:03 AM
I wonder if her step dad is on the SO registry. I hate to be such a judgemental thing, but we hear about these step-dads/boyfriends so often, that it's almost a given anymore.

If someone picked her up, and took her bike along, it was likely a pick-up or SUV. A car or a van would have taken longer, to manipulate a larger bike into, and more noticable by a witness. If there was no struggle, nothing out of the ordinary found in the autopsy, then it was probably someone she knows. I wonder if he has an alibi?

I checked to Michigan RSO list and got nothing on any male (dad, stepdad, brothers, uncles) listed in Jodi's obituary.

ljwf22
11-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Nothing on the grandfathers either.

ljwf22
11-16-2007, 10:45 AM

Interesting link. Washinton Street is the main road through town, also known as US-131 with heavy truck traffic. So she was last spotted downtown and after leaving her friend's house which is in the opposite direction from her house. I think there is a gas station/convenience store on the southwest corner of Washington/Third Street. I can check with a co-worker at lunch, she's lives just outside town.

Jolynna
11-16-2007, 12:38 PM
The police believe there was a lapse of time after Jodi left her friend's house before she was murdered.

http://www.fox28.com/News/index.php?ID=28152

Right now, Police are looking for someone who may have seen Jodi Parrack after 4:45 p.m. the day she disappeared.

They now believe there was a lapse of time, possibly a couple of hours before she was murdered.

From this article it sounds as if LE thinks Jodi was killed a couple of hours after she left her friend's house. Her mother said she never came home. The police were told she was going to stop at a store/gas station on her way home. She was seen close to there, but the employee working at that gas station (which probably has video security) saw her there.

It sounds to me as if the LE is doing a lot and knows a whole lot more than they are saying but don't want the case compromised.

Jolynna
11-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Carver says her family's nightmare has been amplified by rumors that members of Jodi's family are among those police are scrutinizing in a case where Constantine Police Chief Mark Honeysett says ``no one has been ruled in or ruled out yet.''

``I took a polygraph and so has my husband,'' Carver said. Police didn't comment on the test.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-26/1195230069212260.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

MeoW333
11-16-2007, 01:03 PM
It is a good thing that they are putting peeping tom's into the registry. A lot of the time, "peeping" is just there start and then their crimes escalate.
It sounds like the cemetery could have been a secondary crime scene if she was dumped there. Paramedics and her mother would have disturbed evidence upon finding her and in the above link her mother is qouted as saying she cradled her daughter's lifeless body. So if it was obvious she was dead, is it normal for paramedics to still try to revive her? Especially since it wasn't a drowning?
A Mongoose bike is usually a 20" bmx style boy's bike, i would assume that what was she was riding that was borrowed from a friend. They do have mountain bike style models, at her age though, i'm not sure if a mountain bike style would be too big. I rode a 20" bmx style at age 10, and i was of small stature; so i'm sure she could.

Jolynna, i can only read the first page of the above article and then it wants me to sign in. Is there any way i could read the full article?

lviola
11-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Carver says her family's nightmare has been amplified by rumors that members of Jodi's family are among those police are scrutinizing in a case where Constantine Police Chief Mark Honeysett says ``no one has been ruled in or ruled out yet.''

``I took a polygraph and so has my husband,'' Carver said. Police didn't comment on the test.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-26/1195230069212260.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

Does it seem a little odd someone suggests to check the cemetary? What would make someone think about looking into the cemetary? Maybe it's just me, but I found that odd.

mom3dd
11-16-2007, 01:37 PM
I believe that the mother saw the bike up against the wall to the cemetary and that is why she looked in there. This poor family if they are innocent. Geez.

lviola
11-16-2007, 01:59 PM
I believe that the mother saw the bike up against the wall to the cemetary and that is why she looked in there. This poor family if they are innocent. Geez.

The article in the link says the mother's friend told her to check in the cemetary. that's when she saw Jodi's bike and before the car could stop she hopped out and ran over.

lviola
11-16-2007, 02:00 PM
The article in the link says the mother's friend told her to check in the cemetary. that's when she saw Jodi's bike and before the car could stop she hopped out and ran over.

``A friend of ours said, `Has anybody checked the cemetery?' so we drove there,'' said Carver, whose rented home is less than a block from the burial ground. ``When I saw her bike leaned up against the stone, she (the driver) didn't even stop the car before I jumped out and ran.''

Reannan
11-16-2007, 02:44 PM
I hate to say it, but if I were LE, I would be looking very closely at the family of this little girl. I just feel horrible for even thinking that, but I can't apologize for it, because we see these type of cases over, and over, and over, and over. When I first heard that they think perhaps she was alive for a significant amount of time between when she left her friend's home and when she actually died, you have to begin to wonder....

lviola
11-16-2007, 02:51 PM
I hate to say it, but if I were LE, I would be looking very closely at the family of this little girl. I just feel horrible for even thinking that, but I can't apologize for it, because we see these type of cases over, and over, and over, and over. When I first heard that they think perhaps she was alive for a significant amount of time between when she left her friend's home and when she actually died, you have to begin to wonder....

I know Reannan. This is so sad. I just can't imagine why people do the things they do. I hope they're not involved but ... makes you wonder. Why is it "we" know right from wrong, what makes people tick? What makes people do the things they do?

lviola
11-16-2007, 02:53 PM
``A friend of ours said, `Has anybody checked the cemetery?' so we drove there,'' said Carver, whose rented home is less than a block from the burial ground. ``When I saw her bike leaned up against the stone, she (the driver) didn't even stop the car before I jumped out and ran.''

Another thing that makes me wonder is, were they driving through the cemetary? it was dark I assume. How did she see the bike in the dar? Cemetary's aren't lit up are they?

KatK
11-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Another thing that makes me wonder is, were they driving through the cemetary? it was dark I assume. How did she see the bike in the dar? Cemetary's aren't lit up are they?

The bike could have been illuminated by the car's headlights? :waitasec:

CarpeDiem
11-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Does it seem a little odd someone suggests to check the cemetary? What would make someone think about looking into the cemetary? Maybe it's just me, but I found that odd.

Well, if you have ever lived close to a cemetary, you know kids will go there. It's curiousity usually, the spooky factor of it, and that there isn't a lot of the living around, and if someone does come along, you can spot them quickly. :(

lviola
11-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Well, if you have ever lived close to a cemetary, you know kids will go there. It's curiousity usually, the spooky factor of it, and that there isn't a lot of the living around, and if someone does come along, you can spot them quickly. :(

I guess it all depends where you live. When I was a kid we lived across the street from one and we never thought of hanging out, walking around in a cemetary. Especially at night. But then again, that was a long time ago when I was a kid

MeoW333
11-16-2007, 03:38 PM
This will sound odd, yet when i was a child i played in the cemetery where my father and other relatives were buried, as my grandfather and family were usually doing some type of work there (being on the cemetery board). So growing up used to it, i never thought twice. Obviously, this isn't the case here; yet maybe they had checked everywhere else and the cemetery with it's proximity to where she lived was the last place nearby to check. I also know of a few kids who take a shortcut to get home through the cemetery, as there was houses boarding it on the far end. This was all during the daylight hours.
An autopsy would be able to show the exact time of death. I'm sure LE isn't releasing a lot as it could mess up the investigation.

angelmom
11-16-2007, 04:36 PM
It is a good thing that they are putting peeping tom's into the registry. A lot of the time, "peeping" is just there start and then their crimes escalate.

I didn't mean to imply that peeping isn't a warning sign. ITA agree about that. But to throw a peeping tom in the same registry with no distinction with someone who committed a forcible rape on a stranger child that he abducted, a 17yo who had sex with his 14yo girlfriend, and an estranged husband who was accused by his ex wife of some inappropriate touching of their child (which may or may not be true)...

...well, the list gets really long, and it's hard to sort when you're trying to look for suspects in a very specific type of crime like this one.

RE: the cemetery. I would have looked there too. I think it would be a place where kids might go to be out of sight of adult eyes. Also, if the friend feared a kidnapping it might be a place where someone could take a child to assault her or dump a body. I think it was a pretty good idea to look there.

I can almost picture being in the car, praying to find her but terrified of what you might find. The headlights sweep across the metal and plastic of the bike, all out of place amidst the earth and stone. Her heart must have just broken.

Prayers for this family.

TGIRecovered
11-16-2007, 04:50 PM

Strange that the bike was so easy to spot. I suspect that whomever left the bike in an upright position leaning against a wall wanted it to be visible from the road.

I think that a person looking to dump a body and get rid of the bike too, would have just let the bike fall to the ground, like most kids do when their parents aren't reminding them to use the kickstand. Ever try to prop a bike against a wall? It isn't that easy, it keeps sliding down when the handlebars turn sideways. Usually takes a bit of balancing to keep it from falling.

Who would be that careful with someone else's bike? Maybe the person who purchased it to begin with?

Of course, I am assuming that the girl did not just ride the bike to that exact spot, prop it up and drop dead all by herself.

Susan

MeoW333
11-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Mongoose bikes tend to be in the more expensive price range than regular bmx style bikes, like Huffy for example. The older the Mongoose is, especially for 1980's models; the more value it has. Some you can buy at Walmart, yet its $100 and up price range. Whoever killed her didn't really attempt to hide the body well. I'm beginning to think it may not have been a pervert. A pervert would have kidnapped her and likely held her hostage somewhere. Now if it was a pervert in the making and then they got scared and just dumped her, that would fit. Very odd case..
We have:
1. The victim's body was not hidden well, with the bike left out like a red flag.
2. No trauma to the victim's body. (Most likely someone she knew enough to be comfortable with not to fight back)
3. Knowledge of recent kidnapping attempts in neighboring areas. (diversion of murderer or related to?)
4. Most likely a secondary crime scene if bike was found the way it was. (Unless Jodi was lured into the cemetary by someone she knew and set the bike that way herself as to not damage it, since it was borrowed. Anything is possible)
5. Mother states when she found her, Jodi's eyes and mouth were closed as if she were sleeping. Does anyone find this odd that her eyes were closed? Did the killer close them so they would not have to face the blank stare of death? This shows remorse/guilt of some sort. I find it highly unlikely she died with her eyes closed; she did not die in her sleep. Someone closed them, and for a reason.
6. Store owner Roevke remembers her in one of the link articles, saying something to the effect that she would say 'good morning' and then lower her head. This implies the victim was shy in nature around certain adults she didn't know well.

AmandaBrown23
11-16-2007, 05:26 PM
I sure hope its not her family but it does sound a little strange that the mother found her

believe09
11-16-2007, 05:38 PM
I still wouldn't jump to the family-how about the friend who suggested the cemetery? I haven't read all of the links, but if there were attempts to revive her and mom found her with eyes and mouth closed, she must have been warm to the touch? I am more curious as to why it was immediately ruled a homicide. Clearly there was something obvious that isn't being reported.

MeoW333
11-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Whoever killed her clearly was not comfortable with death or having killed as her eyes were closed.
Her mother seemed to have "mother's intuition" about her daughter being dead. I have heard of similiar cases of mothers or loved ones knowing ahead of time if something bad has happened, it's not all that uncommon, especially given the recent abduction attempts in neighboring areas and the world state nowadays with these predators left and right it seems.
It's just the circumstances of this case are unusual in general. Without any trauma, it seems hard to find a motive. I truly believe that a repeat sexual predator would have kidnapped her, not killed her and dumped her. They usually can't control their impulses and would have abused her or kidnapped her to abuse her later, not just murder her untouched. If it was someone who has had urges yet not acted on them until then, anything is possible and maybe they got in a panic and killed her.
If it's a secondary crime scene, then the struggle would have occurred elsewhere. Maybe someone she knew offered her a ride, so she got in the car with the bike. Otherwise a regular kidnapper wouldn't have bothered to bring the bike also; make it look like they're driving her home, yet not so. Did LE check into whether or not any of her friends have older brothers or relatives living with them or who may have met Jodi?
Going years back, The Hadden Clark case in MD, he had murdered his neice's playmate. He happened to be over his brother's house at the time. He wasn't even suspected for awhile.

kahskye
11-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Has it been mentioned what the area looked like around the body? Like, was there any signs of a scuffle, marks in the ground, dirt on her clothes? Was DNA taken from under her fingernails in case she did try to fight off her attacker and maybe scratched him/her? So many questions, but I think LE would be able to tell if the body was placed there of if the murder happened there.

Jolynna
11-16-2007, 06:36 PM
I agree with meoW333.

I think someone offering Jodi a ride home is very possible. According to the employee, she never made it to the gas station. I think she would have gone to get her snack before coming home unless someone stopped her. If she had been forcibly snatched and fighting, the abductor wouldn't have bothered with the bike, in my opinion. He/she would have had their hands full.

I doubt Jodi would have willlingly gone with someone she didn't know.

Jolynna
11-16-2007, 09:00 PM
http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-26/1195230133212260.xml&coll=7

Honeysett said police are specifically interested in speaking with anyone who may have seen Jodi after 4:45 p.m. when she was last spotted at the downtown street corner.

``Multiple friends have her westbound on East Third Street, almost to South Washington Street (U.S. 131) at 4:45 p.m.,'' he reported. ``At that point she was headed the opposite direction from her home and she was alone. We're not sure after that if she crossed South Washington or went north or south.''

``That could be the absolute key'' to solving the case, Honeysett said.

Fermi
11-17-2007, 02:29 AM
http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-26/1195230133212260.xml&coll=7

This article also states that: "More than three hours after making a report in person at the village Police Department, Carver found her daughter's body lying near a headstone in the southern portion of the cemetery. Her bike, lying on its side, was found near her, Honeysett said".

AND

"Police have declined to say if Jodi was fully clothed when she was found or if there was any indication she had been sexually assaulted. Her cause of death is still undetermined".

I would think if she had been clothed and there had been no indication of a sexual assault, they would relay that to assauge the towns' fears. :waitasec:

On another note, many years ago when I was a child, we lived down the street from a cemetary. All of the neighborhood kids, including me, would use it as a shortcut and sometimes we would just hang out there. I know that sounds morbid, but we found it quiet and peaceful. We also would read the headstones and then muse as to what the person was like, what they looked like, etc. When it was a child, we would mourn for them and place flowers on their grave on ocassion. We were 5th and 6th graders. We had great reverence for that cemetary and were very respectful. :twocents:

MeoW333
11-17-2007, 03:18 AM
Okay, so in one once instance we have the mother who saw the bike laying up against the stone, and in another the bike was on the ground on it's side. So which one was it? This is weird.. "propped by a headstone" or "her bike lying on it's side" does the context of propped mean just laying on the ground on it's side? against a tombstone?

Reannan
11-17-2007, 09:25 AM
For me, one of the strangest things is the family friend suggesting the cemetary as a place to go and look. I just find that odd. For their to be no obvious signs of trauma and cause of death, maybe she was smothered to death. The autopsy will certainly be able to determine this.

angelmom
11-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Okay, so in one once instance we have the mother who saw the bike laying up against the stone, and in another the bike was on the ground on it's side. So which one was it? This is weird.. "propped by a headstone" or "her bike lying on it's side" does the context of propped mean just laying on the ground on it's side? against a tombstone?

Depending on the size of the stone, it could have been both. If it were a flat stone (truly a headstone) then it would have been by a headstone and laying on the ground. I think this may be a case of us overanalyzing the wording of the witnesses, who were obviously distraught by what they found and didn't really give a crap about how the bike looked.

For me, one of the strangest things is the family friend suggesting the cemetary as a place to go and look. I just find that odd. For their to be no obvious signs of trauma and cause of death, maybe she was smothered to death. The autopsy will certainly be able to determine this.

This doesn't seem weird to me at all. The cemetery where I will one day rest is a beautiful spot near several neighborhoods and people walk there for exercise all the time. There is a lake where we used to take the kids to feed the ducks (no longer allowed) and sit and reflect. It is a pretty spot for a picnic when you are feeling sentimental.

Also, as previous posters have pointed out, it is a perfect spot at night for kids to avoid the prying eyes of their parents. Definitely a place I would look, after I had checked all of the other obvious choices (friends' homes, route home, etc.) along with houses under construction, parks, and behind the school.

11 is young, but at that point I think they had to be panicked and fearing the worst. I know in the 15 or so minutes my son was "missing" one morning when he was 8 or 9 I was immediately thinking of every horrible thing that might have happened to him. It was awful. I cannot imagine living with that feeling for hours or days or longer.

ljwf22
11-19-2007, 08:50 AM

The cemetery was near her house. Constantine is a two-stoplight town, mostly to slow the heavy semi traffic that goes through it. There is a wide river that goes through it as well. I think there's a lot LE is not divulging. I would go to Constantine and take pictures to post here, but that would probably make me look suspicious. From my house it's about a 25-minute drive. I work with two people who are from there. It's odd how no one knows (or is not saying) anything.

Reannan
11-19-2007, 09:59 AM
It's odd how no one knows (or is not saying) anything.

It seems to me that when LE suspects family or friends to be involved, the information dries up quickly, and it takes about 2-3 months for an arrest to be made. I do believe this case will eventually be solved.

Jolynna
11-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Two weeks later, and there are still no answers to the question that occupies this town: Who killed Jodi?
It's a question that's caught the attention of the TV program, America's Most Wanted (http://www.amw.com/).

http://www.woodtv.com/global/story.asp?s=7394825

MeoW333
11-23-2007, 03:24 AM
I checked to Michigan RSO list and got nothing on any male (dad, stepdad, brothers, uncles) listed in Jodi's obituary.

I had found this among a string of articles that says she has 2 brothers. I wonder what their ages are.

southbendtribune.com - LOU MUMFORD - November 11. 2007

CONSTANTINE -- After attending classes at Riverside Elementary School Thursday, 11-year-old fifth-grader Jodi Parrack came home, climbed on her silver bicycle and rode to a friend's house.

But shortly after she left the friend's house to return home, she became the victim of the village's first homicide in nearly 30 years. — continued
Excerpt: Curtis said Jodi was last seen about 4:45 p.m. riding her bicycle on Third Street. When she failed to return home by 5:30 as she was told, her family began looking for her, Curtis said.

The family notified police she was missing about 7:30. Honeysett said authorities were preparing to issue an Amber Alert when the child's mother found her body in the cemetery at 10:32 p.m.

Honeysett didn't identify Jodi's mother by name but said she and Jodi's two brothers "are holding up well ... considering what they've been through.'' http://boards.crimelibrary.com/showthread.php?t=288652

(that is the link where the articles are)

iNTERESTEDWOMAN
11-23-2007, 10:54 AM
This article also states that: "More than three hours after making a report in person at the village Police Department, Carver found her daughter's body lying near a headstone in the southern portion of the cemetery. Her bike, lying on its side, was found near her, Honeysett said".

AND

"Police have declined to say if Jodi was fully clothed when she was found or if there was any indication she had been sexually assaulted. Her cause of death is still undetermined".

I would think if she had been clothed and there had been no indication of a sexual assault, they would relay that to assauge the towns' fears. :waitasec: ...snip

Not only is the bike statement odd, but this is really strange too. Why are they recanting what was previously reported about her clothes? I remember the first reports saying she was fully clothed...now LE is declining to say? I would venture to say the first report is accurate, but you never know.

http://www.fox28.com/News/index.php?ID=27873
From above link:

Police say Jodi was last seen around 4:45 Thursday afternoon and was found dead in the cemetery around 10:30.

The cemetery is less than a mile from her home.

They say when the body was found, there was no sign of trauma and she was fully clothed.

An autopsy performed in Grand Rapids indicates it was a homicide, but no cause of death was released.

Jolynna
11-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by ljwf22 http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1797407#post1797407)

The mother, stepfather and biological father are pictured here: http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7352705&nav=0Rce. Another similar story listed all of their names, but I couldn't find it today.

As for obituaries, the information about all family members is only included for free in ONE local newspaper. The other local newspapers print abbreviated lists.However, even for the local newspaper obit, when my father died, my brother and I had to pay $25 to list our spouses and would have had to pay extra to list the names of grandchildren.

My father's brothers and sisters were named in ONE local newspaper at no extra charge. The other local newspapers would only have included the his brothers and sisters IF our family had paid for it.

Perhaps because of the circumstances and Jodi's brother's ages, Jodi's family chose for Jodi's brothers NOT to be included or named in any obituary. Normally, the brothers would have been listed in ONE newspaper obituary, but not included in any other newspaper obit unless the family requested it and paid extra.

MeoW333
11-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Parrack's mother found her daughter's body at about
http://www.sturgisjournal.com/articles/2007/11/09/news/doc473521e342749924713226.txt

10:30 p.m., next to a large tombstone, fully clothed and not breathing. Constantine firefighters performed CPR but their lifesaving efforts failed. Authorities said there was no indication that she had been struck, nor were there any other clear signs of trauma.

The article below says there was signs of some injuries yet nothing overwhelming..

http://fox17.trb.com/news/110807-wxmi-death,0,1512602.story?coll=wxmi-home-2
" The cause of death is still unknown, although the body did show some injuries but nothing overwhelming. They'll do some lab testing and hope to find out more early next week. Copyright © 2007, WXMI"

I'm sure LE know more about this case than what's being reported, they have to keep some underwraps to protect the case.

s_finch
11-25-2007, 12:06 AM
puzzling

believe09
11-25-2007, 09:30 AM
So I am still confused by the announcement right away that it was a homicide...

Jolynna
11-26-2007, 12:12 AM
So I am still confused by the announcement right away that it was a homicide...

It is my understanding that the trauma that they DID find made it clear that Jodi had been murdered.

I find it strange that the murderer took the bicycle to the cemetery and also left it there.

I realize 131 is busy, but I don't think Jodi would have gotten into a vehicle with just anybody. I also don't think a stranger that had to struggle with Jodi would have bothered to load the bike too.

I think a stranger would have taken her further to do what he was going to do. I don't think a stranger would have bothered to neatly lean the bicycle up against anything after murdering her or remembered to unload the bicycle even. Supposedly the bicycle was out where it could be seen from the road because according to some news reports seeing the bicycle was what alerted Jodi's mom. So, if the bicycle was unloaded and left where it could be seen from the road, why take it in the first place? Why not just grab Jodi and run?

If the bicycle had been found along 131 wouldn't the search have concentrated along there for an even longer period of time? As it was, the bicycle was a beacon to anyone going by the cemetery, according to what I read.

MeoW333
11-26-2007, 12:23 AM
I would guess it was someone who knew her and got her into their vehicle on the pretense of giving her a ride home (that's why the bike was brought also to avoid Jodi's suspicion if they just grabbed her). Whoever it was didn't want the bike found in their possession whether it be by other family members or anyone who would connect the bike to Jodi. I really think whoever did this wanted her to be found, and that's why they closed her eyes and left the bike with her. It's like a sign of guilt or something; they knew her personally enough for her to get in their car without a struggle; as it would take time to get both her and the bike in otherwise. If the cemetery is one you can drive through with a vehicle, the bike would have been illuminated by headlights. If it were a stranger that had abducted her, it would be likely she would scream and make a scene at the spot of the abduction itself, and there would be more witnesses to it. Someone who was local who knew her, would be less likely to raise an eyebrow or stir anyone's memory; especially with there not having been a murder in the area for so long.
Does anyone remember the Texas cheerleader mom? Would it be possible Jodi was in "competition" with any children at her school?

KatK
11-26-2007, 12:41 AM
The bicycle was left as a "signpost" on purpose I think. The person who stole her didn't want her to go undiscovered for long. Either that, or it was a taunt. "Look at me, I'm so smart I can direct your attention to my work and still know I won't get caught!" :sick:

Reannan
11-27-2007, 08:39 PM
The following was posted over at Steve's site. The poster was asked where the information was coming from, but no answer has been provided yet. I thought you guys would be interested in seeing it:

http://tinyurl.com/38neyk

"The FBI has 2 prime suspects. Of course the step-father, which is to be expected, but he is secondary. Did anyone stop to consider WHY the FBI was called in on a local homocide? They don't usually do that unless the murder involves a crossing of state lines. Well, the FBI has a prime suspect who has had a series of lie detector tests - - failing a few of them. He is a life long constantine resident who is also a reserve police oficer. Jodi was at his sisters home the day she went missing........apparantly, the FBI expects to make an arrest soon. The prime suspect is said to have been among those who were searching for Jodi -- maybe it was him (or even his sister - whose house Jodi left) thatsuggested searchig the cemetary?

It does nnot look like there is a child predator lurking in Constantine.....their suspects are all people Jodi knew.
constantine neighbor | 11.26.07 - 8:22 pm "

Jolynna
11-27-2007, 10:28 PM
The following was posted over at Steve's site. The poster was asked where the information was coming from, but no answer has been provided yet. I thought you guys would be interested in seeing it:

http://tinyurl.com/38neyk

"The FBI has 2 prime suspects. Of course the step-father, which is to be expected, but he is secondary. Did anyone stop to consider WHY the FBI was called in on a local homocide? They don't usually do that unless the murder involves a crossing of state lines. Well, the FBI has a prime suspect who has had a series of lie detector tests - - failing a few of them. He is a life long constantine resident who is also a reserve police oficer. Jodi was at his sisters home the day she went missing........apparantly, the FBI expects to make an arrest soon. The prime suspect is said to have been among those who were searching for Jodi -- maybe it was him (or even his sister - whose house Jodi left) thatsuggested searchig the cemetary?

It does nnot look like there is a child predator lurking in Constantine.....their suspects are all people Jodi knew.
constantine neighbor | 11.26.07 - 8:22 pm "

Reading between the lines of yesterdays official statement from LE, I agree law enforcement believes Jodi was killed by someone she knew.

http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/11833681.html
The chief says they're growing more optimistic that they'll be able to crack the case. He says they have reason to believe someone in Constantine knows what happened to Jodi. Chief Honeysett says he doesn't think this crime was committed by someone from out of town. That said, he doesn't want to cause panic among residents, adding that they don’t believe anyone is targeting children there.

Jolynna
11-28-2007, 04:33 PM
LE is saying that publicity about the case is hurting their investigation:

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/11887861.html

Reannan
11-28-2007, 11:30 PM
This case has very LITTLE information coming forth! What on earth are they talking about? Whenever I hear this statement that was in the article referenced by Jolynna, I intuit that LE has a darn good idea who committed the crime, and it is someone very close to the family and friends (emphasis added by me):

"Investigators still have not named or ruled out any suspects in Jodi Parrack's death."

ljwf22
11-29-2007, 09:29 AM
From yesterday's Kalamazoo Gazette:

CONSTANTINE -- Almost three weeks after a little girl's body was found lying in a cemetery, Constantine's police chief says ``nobody has been eliminated yet as a suspect'' in the killing of 11-year-old Jodi Parrack, and that he remains confident police will make an arrest.

``We've gotten some tips lately that have been pretty intriguing ... and make me more optimistic,'' Chief Mark Honeysett said Tuesday. ``I think (the incident) involves someone locally here, so for that reason I'm confident we'll find out who and maybe why. I don't believe it was just someone passing through who picked her out.''

Link:http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-26/1196265107156640.xml&coll=7

gitana1
11-30-2007, 03:02 AM
http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/11887861.html

MeoW333
11-30-2007, 03:16 AM
They have to keep it quite. In some situations, a good take down requires stealth tactics. It's understandable, the police want to room for mistakes; then the media should respect that and people need to explain to the children, sometimes there is 'quiet before the storm'; a good metaphor to help children understand; and calm parents down. Many people feed off of media reportings, it creates a drama, a diversion from their own lives. Media of course making money off this, will go to extremes in greed for money. It is better to just keep mum for now as to not compromise the case.

MeoW333
11-30-2007, 03:17 AM
*no room for mistakes <-(insert where i forgot that -to)

Lola
11-30-2007, 07:04 AM
They have to keep it quite. In some situations, a good take down requires stealth tactics. It's understandable, the police want to room for mistakes; then the media should respect that and people need to explain to the children, sometimes there is 'quiet before the storm'; a good metaphor to help children understand; and calm parents down. Many people feed off of media reportings, it creates a drama, a diversion from their own lives. Media of course making money off this, will go to extremes in greed for money. It is better to just keep mum for now as to not compromise the case.

Thanks all for keeping us readers updated. Very interesting.

ljwf22
11-30-2007, 09:28 AM
The FBI was brought in because the local police have zero experience with murder, let alone the murder of a child. I'm glad they knew they needed help and weren't afraid to ask. Also the state line is only about 5-6 miles away.

In the last week, there was another incident in a nearby town with a child waiting for the school bus in the morning. The kid pulled out a cell phone and the guy got back into his "light colored" van.

I believe the media does respect the investigation and the last thing it wants is to interfere with the investigation. Believe me, the media is not out to make money off this. It wants the case solved. That said, people are very nervous around here. I think the cases of a man (or men) approaching school kids is unrelated to Jodi's murder.

Hopeful One
11-30-2007, 10:24 AM
I just read the whole thread on this. Hadn't seen it before. What a puzzling case. I hope they name a suspect soon!!!

Jolynna
12-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Jodi's paternal grandmother left a comment to this article about Jodi's mother:

http://blog.mlive.com/kzgazette/2007/11/jodis_mom_murder_a_nightmare.html

She said it would have taken Jodi 8 minutes to get home from her friend's house and that Jodi could have seen her home from where her body lay in the graveyard.

The grandmother thinks that Jodi was murdered by someone close or at least by someone that knows the family.

believe09
12-02-2007, 08:31 AM
If a local police officer is a suspect, I can see that bringing in the FBI, which I know is standard sometimes, makes good sense. You have to figure that keeping it in the department might tip off the suspect. As soon as that hit the media, he knew the story was about him if you know what I mean.

Reannan
12-02-2007, 09:00 AM
From "frogfreak69" who posted at 7:15 pm on 11/29/07 to the blog that Joylnna linked above:

4. On another blog some guy named Adam states that his friend (also THE FAMILY FRIEND-who just so happened to be that reserve police officer who , yes, I believe was the one who suggested the cemetary) had been called in to take a lie detector test not once, not twice, but four times.

Yep....this case is going to be solved. I predict at least 3-6 more weeks before the announcement of an arrest.

tiredblondy
12-02-2007, 11:36 AM
I agree that FBI could have been called in because of lack of experience from local police or because one of their own is involved but possibly there could be internet porn suspects involved. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Jolynna
12-02-2007, 12:57 PM
I agree that FBI could have been called in because of lack of experience from local police or because one of their own is involved but possibly there could be internet porn suspects involved. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Despite the early stories about a light colored van or a dark truck, the recent releases from LE have said LE does not believe there is a serial predator in the area. To me, an internet porn suspect is someone that would prey upon more than one child.

My impression is that Jodi's killer is somebody Jodi knew from real life.

I also think the crime will be solved soon.

MOO

tiredblondy
12-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Despite the early stories about a light colored van or a dark truck, the recent releases from LE have said LE does not believe there is a serial predator in the area. To me, an internet porn suspect is someone that would prey upon more than one child.
My impression is that Jodi's killer is somebody Jodi knew from real life.
I also think the crime will be solved soon.
MOO

Jolynna I sure hope so.

ljwf22
12-08-2007, 02:32 PM
From today's Kalamazoo Gazette:

CONSTANTINE -- Authorities declined Friday to say whether dogs seen combing areas near downtown Constantine with police were part of the investigation into the death of an 11-year-old girl.

At least one dog was in the Constantine Township Cemetery where Jodi Christine Parrack's body was found last month. A bloodhound tracked along a downtown street near local homes, and a bloodhound was near a local restaurant.

Link: http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-26/1197091205183570.xml&coll=7

Reannan
12-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Here is an article from Jodi's paternal Grandmother's grief. It sounds like Jodi's life was a bit chaotic.

http://tinyurl.com/ysyaqb

"Valerie Jo remarried and Jodi now had a stepfather, Kevin Carver.

It wouldn’t be the last time the family moved. During Jodi’s lifetime, she lived in Colon, Mendon and Three Rivers. Last month, less than two weeks after her death, the family moved again to a different location in Constantine.

Jodi often spent time alone and on the streets in the village."

I am anxious for this case to be solved.

believe09
12-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Here is an article from Jodi's paternal Grandmother's grief. It sounds like Jodi's life was a bit chaotic.

It wouldn’t be the last time the family moved. During Jodi’s lifetime, she lived in Colon, Mendon and Three Rivers. Last month, less than two weeks after her death, the family moved again to a different location in Constantine.

This is exactly what made this child the perfect target for whatever went down, not unlike Rowan Ford IMO.

Jolynna
12-10-2007, 07:08 PM
I think the bicycle is a HUGE clue. I also think that Jodi was so close to home is another big clue. I think the graveyard was chosen because it was isolated. (And in my opinion...close.)

Possibly someone thought it would "look" like Jodi had been ritually murdered if she were left in a graveyard. Or maybe there was meaning behind the location. I don't think so, but maybe.

And about the bicycle...

One person alone couldn't have gotten Jodi AND the bicycle into a vehicle. Unless it was somebody she knew and she got in willingly.

A pedophile passing through would have grabbed Jodi and driven further away. (IMO) Unless he had an accomplice, how would he be ABLE to grab and handle Jodi PLUS the bicycle. Nor would an out-of-towner probably have stayed in Constantine.

A predator who was from somewhere else but that knew about the cemetery would have also have fled as quickly as possible after killing Jodi.. Taking time to get Jodi's bicycle out of his vehicle would have kept him at the scene of his crime longer. Why leave it with her body if you were from someplace outside of Constantine and could dump it elsewhere.

Why would someone from Constantine mess with a bicycle and linger.

Michigan has lots of rural roads without traffic and homes.

Lingering around with Jodi's incriminating body only makes sense IF the person from Constantine LIVED close and was expected home soon. And if someone was around that might see the bike.

I also don't know why Jodi would have accepted a ride with someone since she lived SO CLOSE to the house she was riding home from.

If she had agreed to meet someone at the graveyard, wouldn't she have stopped by her home (which was between the friend's house and the cemetery) to tell her mother she was no longer at her friend's house and was headed in another direction?

My kids had to tell me whose home they were going to go to and of changes in plans.

Anyway. Just throwing out thoughts. This case has me wondering.

IMO

Jolynna
12-10-2007, 07:18 PM
This is exactly what made this child the perfect target for whatever went down, not unlike Rowan Ford IMO.

I agree.

MeoW333
12-11-2007, 08:53 AM

This is so true. I can't help but be reminded of the Hadden Clark case in which he killed his niece's playmate. I really hope they are checking out the families of Jodi's friends.
A friend's family member would know that Jodi wasn't supervised much. She would be more trusting to a friend's relative that a local acquaintance. Maybe they used an excuse such as going to surprise the friend or helping them with something to get her to go with them; rather than giving her a ride home. She still have time left until her curfew. I would be looking at relatives of her friends' very closely in this case.. LE needs to look at Jodi's friends' relatives (i can't stress it enough, my gut is telling me) and nevermind if they have alibi's that doesn't mean anything. In the Hadden Clark case where he killed his niece's playmate, the father gave the wrong time as to when his daughter was missing as he was watching nascar, which allowed Hadden to have a solid alibi since he was at work by then.

MeoW333
12-11-2007, 09:13 AM
If her curfew was at 5:30pm and she left her friend's around 4:30pm (i think someone last saw her around 4:45?) then if someone she knew asked her to go with them, giving her some excuse; then she might as she still would have time to make it for her 5:30 curfew. Are LE looking into the girl whose house she was over? Maybe she has relatives that live there are frequent there that know Jodi and would know of her curfew. I think whoever got her in their car, she knew and he was a relative of a friend, and they made up some excuse regarding one of her friends; more likely than offering her a ride home. It seemed she loved riding her bike, and would just ride home otherwise. With the time gap between when she left and her curfew, she would figure she had time to do whatever and then get home. As we don't know exactly what was found in the autopsy, we don't really have a motive. (i'm sure LE are withholding info, with good reason) yet the motive may be something completely illogical..

TGIRecovered
12-11-2007, 09:35 AM
What if someone at the friend's home did something to her bike, like let the air out of the tires. Then that person could offer to take her and her bike to the gas station to air it up so she could ride it home.

I have been suspicious from the beginning about the time she alledgedly left the friend's home. My daughters NEVER come home from a platmate's house early unless something is wrong. They usually call to ask for more time or rush home 5 minutes late with a ready(pre-fabricated) excuse for the delay.

I wonder if there was someone at the playmate's house who made her scared or uncomfortable.

susan

MeoW333
12-11-2007, 01:52 PM
What if someone at the friend's home did something to her bike, like let the air out of the tires. Then that person could offer to take her and her bike to the gas station to air it up so she could ride it home.

I have been suspicious from the beginning about the time she alledgedly left the friend's home. My daughters NEVER come home from a platmate's house early unless something is wrong. They usually call to ask for more time or rush home 5 minutes late with a ready(pre-fabricated) excuse for the delay.

I wonder if there was someone at the playmate's house who made her scared or uncomfortable.

susan

TGI, that's a good point, so true, too. They usually ask for extra time or straggle in some odd minutes later. The friend whose house she was at had to leave for a girl scout meeting, which Jodi wasn't interested in; i had read. I wonder how the tires on the bike were when it was found. The exact level of air pressure. If someone remembers when the last time Jodi filled the tires up with air was, it would help. If the murderer has his own tire pump, then they would be completely full of air. Usually after riding the air pressure goes a bit. I don't think it was a brand new bike, one of the articles said she had borrowed it.
Another of the articles said a day or so before Jodi and her mother had went to the animal shelter and Jodi fell in love with a big cat there (her mother later adopted after her death). This little angel was an animal lover, so i'm sure that cat was on her mind. Maybe whoever did this to her offered to take her by the shelter to see the cat, or said something about an animal to get her in the car. She sounded like such a gentle, loving child, it's such a shame..
I can't help but think how they found her with her eyes closed.. people don't die with their eyes closed unless they die in their sleep. I wonder if someone closed her eyes as they didn't want to see the vacant stare of death. Whoever killed her is uncomfortable with killing. There was a reason for closing her eyes, we just have to find it.. Her mother had said in the one article when she found her she looked like she was sleeping. I can't get into most of the past articles now as it wants me to log in or they aren't there anymore.

Jolynna
12-11-2007, 02:08 PM

susan

Jodi headed home early because her playmate had to go to a scout meeting. Jodi was invited to go along. But she decided not to go.

The playmate did go to the meeting.

http://www.mlive.com/kalamazoo/stories/index.ssf?/base/news-26/1195230069212260.xml&coll=7&thispage=3

According to other media articles Jodi planned to go to a gas station to get a snack before heading home. Jodi was last seen on the street headed away from home but in the direction of the gas station.

That was at 4:45. Which fits in with what Jodi had said. It sounds like she was allowing herself time to look at her treat options, choose her snack, pay for it and get home well before her curfew.

Only the gas station employee said he never saw Jodi. Most stations and convenience stores have video security.

It sounds to me as if she ran into someone between her friend's house and the gas station. Since she wasn't seen again before her body was discovered it sounds like she and the bicycle went into a vehicle.

What enticement was offered by someone old enough to drive? It would have had to have been something better than a snack and something that wouldn't take much time because of the curfew.

What if she was picked up by someone with "authority" and told to "Get in the car right now young lady, I'm taking you home. You shouldn't be here because...??? (You're supposed to go straight home after you leave your friend's house UNLESS you have permission? You're too close to a dangerous road? You're headed to the gas station and not supposed to eat snacks before dinner? Or?)"

That is the only scenario that makes sense to me.

There was no reason for Jodi to "catch a ride" because she was already close to home. There wasn't much time to play and according to her friends, Jodi was responsible and NEVER missed her curfew.I don't see her heading off to do something else that might get her occupied and out past 5:30. Plus...Jodi was said to have PLANNED to go get a snack and was seen headed in the direction to get one.

Who and what sidetracked her?

MOO

Bobbisangel
12-12-2007, 06:58 AM
I wonder if anyone was over at her friend's house when Jodi was there. Maybe a friend of the fathers or a relative. If Jodi was seen heading towards the gas station the friend of the family could have waited a little bit and then followed Jodi. He could have said that her mother called right after she left and wants her to come home right away. If she knew the family friend or relative she probably would have gone with him.

MeoW333
12-12-2007, 12:25 PM
I wonder if anyone was over at her friend's house when Jodi was there. Maybe a friend of the fathers or a relative. If Jodi was seen heading towards the gas station the friend of the family could have waited a little bit and then followed Jodi. He could have said that her mother called right after she left and wants her to come home right away. If she knew the family friend or relative she probably would have gone with him.

Bobbisangel, that is a fitting scenario!! She would trust a family friend or even a friend's family. Who was at the girl's house she was over, or who frequented it, i wonder?

dbmthur
12-14-2007, 01:14 AM
or if they knew she wanted a snack, they could have offered her a ride to a Sonic, McDonald's or any fast food place around there?

Also whoever it was...going with the family friend senario, could have said, your mom called and said she needs you home right away and asked if I could bring you home....etc.

I read about this little girl a few weeks ago and wanted to check back in to see if they found her killer...

oh a few thoughts on the mom...when she said that she just "knew" her daughter was dead...maybe it was more the fear of something having happened to her than her actually knowing...I've also heard other parents say things like this, they just had a feeling, or just knew...Maybe her daughter was so punctual all the time that she knew something bad had happened...feared she was dead (I mean don't most of us worry about that kind of thing happening...I mean like my husband works 30 miles away and I know how long it takes for him to get home...if he is more than 10 mins late, I worry about him having been in a car wreck)...I don't know...I just really don't see anything suspicious about her saying that. Nor do I find it suspcious that she was the one to find her...she was out looking for her, I know others were to but I just don't see that as suspicious. As far as the friend suggesting to look in the cemetary...it is my understanding that it is near their house? It seems like they had looked everywhere else they knew to look...so maybe that would be the next logical choice, even knowing she hated it there.

Whatever the case may be...I do understand that LE hasn't ruled anyone out as a suspect...obviously they know more than they are telling...

I just hope and pray that this little girls killer is found, and soon, so she can rest in peace.

ljwf22
12-14-2007, 10:42 AM
or if they knew she wanted a snack, they could have offered her a ride to a Sonic, McDonald's or any fast food place around there?
No Sonics anywhere around. Closest McDonald's is in White Pigeon, about 4 miles south of where she was last seen. Several gas station/convenience stores within 4 blocks.

MeoW333
12-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Bumping up* anything? ...or still mumm? (not sure how to spell that one..)

ljwf22
12-31-2007, 09:39 PM
Bumping up* anything? ...or still mumm? (not sure how to spell that one..)

Nothing new, sadly.

Jolynna
01-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Nothing new, sadly.

:( No.

Today's paper reviewed last year's murders and mentioned no new developments. What is scary about that, is that I, personally, think the evidence points to the killer being someone local that knew her.

I think this is a murder that is solveable for those reasons.

Bobbisangel
01-02-2008, 07:01 PM
:( No.

Today's paper reviewed last year's murders and mentioned no new developments. What is scary about that, is that I, personally, think the evidence points to the killer being someone local that knew her.

I think this is a murder that is solveable for those reasons.

I agree. They should start at the house where she had been visiting. Did they ever say how she died...strangulation? If someone had grabbed her off the street it seems that someone would have seen something and besides...she had her bike which the killer must have put in his vehicle. She must have know the killer is what I think.

MeoW333
01-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Bobbisangel, i don't think they released all they knew after the autopsy. With the feds being involved, (the town was small and correct me if i'm wrong this was the 2nd murder in decades?) i think they have a strong suspect/suspects and are gathering all the can to make a strong case for the prosecution. That would be my guess.
Whoever murdered Jodi, she knew that person. I would be looking strongly at family of her friends, or someone who would have come in contact with her through one of her friends.

comfort80
01-03-2008, 08:09 AM
i normally just lurk, don't post much. but just had an idea...
what if it was a completely random, accident? what if someone hit her while she was riding home, and panicked and left her @ the cemetary.

Reannan
01-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Comfort80, that is actually a good thought. You would have thought there would have been some outward signs of injury, however, right? I still predict an arrest within the next two months. IMO, when LE has a good idea of who did it, at least 3 months passes by before they make an arrest. Look at the Devon Epps case, for a good example. LE knew from day one that it was most likely his mother.

MeoW333
01-03-2008, 09:43 AM
I would think that if she was hit by a car, there would have been signs of trauma, and the bicycle would have had a lot of damage. The bike was found in normal condition.
The location and way she was found is very important. In a cemetery, (where she was normally afraid and wouldn't go to) and her mother having found her, said her eyes were closed and she looked as if she were sleeping. We don't know all of the autopsy details, yet whoever placed her there had to have also closed her eyes. The killer is someone who is has never killed before, or is not used to the vacant stare of death. The placement of her in a cemetery is almost showing remorse on the killer's part, as a cemetery is a proper place for burial.
I don't think her mother killed her, i think her mother could have been there for her more (as her grandmother had said in different words in an article). I think LE needs to look closely at her friend's family or anyone who frequented her friends' families houses who she would know enough to get in a car with. (the bicycle having been placed in the cemetery with her). I think the cemetery is a secondary crime scene; her death occurred elsewhere, and she was placed in the cemetery. As for a motive, without knowing the complete results of the autopsy, it's hard to say. I have faith that LE will soon catch the killer and are building their case.

Hopeful One
01-03-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm sad that there isn't any new news on this case. The possibility of her being hit by a car is quite plausible, imo. It's possible that there wouldn't be any visible damage to her head/face. Maybe there were cuts or bruises under her clothes? Her mother wouldn't instinctively look under her clothing. (she was fully dressed when she was found, right?) But it's possible that she sustained internal injuries that weren't visible by just looking at her.

MeoW333
01-03-2008, 09:58 PM
If she was hit by a car, she would have had to have been away or off of the bicycle to have been hit, otherwise the bike would have shown damage. Being hit by a car would produce visible injuries, that police would have noted or EMS at the scene. I'm not sure how long it take for bruises to occur after contact, swelling or redness would be present though. She would have had to have been hit by a car with enough force to kill her, and it would have creating a scene with screeching tires and a thump car hitting type noise, that would have gathered a lot more attention than if she just got into a car with someone she knew that normally won't look suspicious. (people thinking it was just a relative picking up his daughter, for example). It's a small town, so however killed her, blended in and knew her enough so that with no struggle upon entering the car and the bike being put into a car, nothing would look amiss.

Bobbisangel
01-04-2008, 06:20 AM

I wonder if her stepfather has a solid alibi? If his alibi is just the mother's word I would wonder.

Salem
01-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Why are they still not saying what happened? I don't get it unless the cause of death would be a giveaway to the killer??

Salem

MeoW333
01-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Why are they still not saying what happened? I don't get it unless the cause of death would be a giveaway to the killer??

Salem

I think that's just it. They can't give away the cause of death since it may be the only way to positively catch the killer, it would be something only the killer would know. If it gets leaked out, it could ruin the whole investigation.

Jolynna
01-12-2008, 07:14 PM
This keeps getting more and more mysterious. They've done the autopsy but are keeping the results a secret. However, there is no doubt it is a homicide:

Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Holly Curtis praised detectives, but said, “In order for criminal charges to be filed, there must be probable cause that a crime was committed and probable cause that a particular person committed the crime.”

She added that there is “no doubt” that Jodi’s death was a homicide but “at this time we cannot establish that a particular individual committed this crime.”

and

Jodi’s friends told police conflicting statements as to where Jodi planned to go after visiting her friends.

Some said she was going for a bike ride. Another said she was going home for supper. Another said she was riding her bike to a nearby store to buy a snack.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/13724552.html

Littledeer
01-13-2008, 07:11 AM
Even though there were conflicting statements given by Jodi's friends, they all have one same element: Jodi was riding her bike.

I can't see that going for a bike ride, going home for supper, or going to a nearby store to buy a snack would be that that difficult for LE to follow up on.

Jolynna
01-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Even though there were conflicting statements given by Jodi's friends, they all have one same element: Jodi was riding her bike.

I can't see that going for a bike ride, going home for supper, or going to a nearby store to buy a snack would be that that difficult for LE to follow up on.

I remember reading LE followed up with the store where it was said she was going and the store employee said she never was there. Gas stations/convenience stores just about all have surveillance cameras with video, too.

She WAS SEEN leaving the friends house.

I agree that the BIKE is key to this.

imo

Jolynna
01-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Police have declined to say whether investigators have served any search warrants in the case or asked anyone to take a polygraph exam as part of the investigation. The prosecutor's office also declined last month to say whether dogs seen combing areas near downtown Constantine with police were part of the investigation into Jodi's death.

At least one dog was in the cemetery where Jodi's body was found. A bloodhound tracked along a downtown street near local homes and a bloodhound was near a local restaurant.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-27/120132845880810.xml&coll=7

Jodi's mother did say she had taken a poly:

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/...l=7&thispage=1 (http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-26/1195230069212260.xml&coll=7&thispage=1)

BeavisMom62
01-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Nothing new with this case? It STILL hasn't been solved?

Littledeer
01-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Interesting that the police won't comment on the polygraph test for the parents.

That could work both ways I guess.........they either lied somewhere in it and the police don't want that known, or they passed all questions, and they also don't want that known to the actual person who most likely lives in the same town.

Jolynna
01-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Interesting that the police won't comment on the polygraph test for the parents.

That could work both ways I guess.........they either lied somewhere in it and the police don't want that known, or they passed all questions, and they also don't want that known to the actual person who most likely lives in the same town.

In my opinion, the police not commenting means the mother or stepfather didn't pass with flying colors.

Especially since LE, themselves, won't even admit to administering the tests.

Guess, we just wait though...until LE is willing to say more...<sigh> :(

Littledeer
01-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks Jolyanna for the reply.

Waiting is so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!! :(

I am upset of the thought that either her mom or step-father are lying though, I have believed it was not either of them but someone else in the community.

Jolynna
01-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks Jolyanna for the reply.

Waiting is so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!! :(

I am upset of the thought that either her mom or step-father are lying though, I have believed it was not either of them but someone else in the community.

You are welcome littledeer.

Actually the police didn't say the mother or stepfather didn't do well on the polys, that is just my opinion from reading the articles.

And people can show an area of deception on a poly for reasons other than being responsible for the crime LE is investigating.

I do think the person that killed Jodi is most likely someone close to her. The prosecutor said no one has been ruled out.

IMO

Littledeer
01-26-2008, 07:26 PM
I am more thankful that at least the Prosecutor's Office, LE, are at least still investigating!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate when they don't and it becomes a cold case...........

As far as the poly's go, I'm more inclined to think if the mother and the step-father agreed, they had nothing to hide. But then again, I am a newbie here at WS.................so maybe I still have blinders on?? :)

Bobbisangel
01-27-2008, 04:47 AM
Well heck, they could give out a little info anyway. If that little girl left riding her bike then it must have been someone that was at the house of her friend or maybe someone left to pick her up but didn't let her know first like the stepfather or a male family member. I wonder if LE even has any people of interest. I guess it could have been someone that she knew that coaxed her into their vehicle and put her bike in too. Maybe she was headed for the store but didn't make it there.

This case needs to be resolved and the guilty party convicted. It just seems to take so long.

Jolynna
02-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Is Constantine doing DNA sweep for girl's killer?

There is something else Evilsizor thought would never happen.

He was watching TV with his wife and kids February 13 when "a police officer knocked on the door, and then he wanted me to go down to the police station and take a swab test. The DNA test."

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7907514&nav=0Rcd

MeoW333
02-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Dang, i really thought they would have solved this case by now.
The killer is obviously someone who knew Jody, and was able to blend in enough with the local community for the abduction to go unnoticed; whether the killer is a local himself or a person for frequents the area. Personally, IMO, i think it is someone who is a friend or relative of Jody's friend's family. There didn't seem to be a struggle of her getting into the car, and the bike was placed in as well. I don't think her parents did it. Now they're taking DNA from the town, which i would guess means the killer left some kind of DNA on Jodi, so i'm wondering what kind of DNA? Was she assaulted? The taking dna from the whole town bit seems ridiculous in the sense that it didn't work for the Louisiana serial killer case, and even though this is a smaller town, it still seems a long shot. If we're dealing with a killer who does not live in the town, yet have ties to the town (most likely knowing someone that was connected enough to Jodi for their not to be a struggle when she got into the car).
In a worst case scenario, there are 2 culprits involved, one to restrain Jodi and subdue her quickly to get into the car, while the other places the bike into the vehicle. If it was a van or a vehicle with tinted windows, it would be even less noticeable. I hoping that's not the scenario.
IMO, i am guessing the dna found may be semen, in the case if she was sexually assaulted.

Jolynna
02-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Dang, i really thought they would have solved this case by now.
The killer is obviously someone who knew Jody, and was able to blend in enough with the local community for the abduction to go unnoticed; whether the killer is a local himself or a person for frequents the area. Personally, IMO, i think it is someone who is a friend or relative of Jody's friend's family. There didn't seem to be a struggle of her getting into the car, and the bike was placed in as well. I don't think her parents did it. Now they're taking DNA from the town, which i would guess means the killer left some kind of DNA on Jodi, so i'm wondering what kind of DNA? Was she assaulted? The taking dna from the whole town bit seems ridiculous in the sense that it didn't work for the Louisiana serial killer case, and even though this is a smaller town, it still seems a long shot. If we're dealing with a killer who does not live in the town, yet have ties to the town (most likely knowing someone that was connected enough to Jodi for their not to be a struggle when she got into the car).
In a worst case scenario, there are 2 culprits involved, one to restrain Jodi and subdue her quickly to get into the car, while the other places the bike into the vehicle. If it was a van or a vehicle with tinted windows, it would be even less noticeable. I hoping that's not the scenario.
IMO, i am guessing the dna found may be semen, in the case if she was sexually assaulted.

I think DNA can be used not just to find the killer but also as a tool to eliminate suspects.

If the person the article interviewed that was tested is cleared, then LE can concentrate more in other directions.

The person interviewed said someone had named him as a potential suspect. The DNA testing will clear that up.

You can't be tested against your will without a warrant. I wonder if anyone refused to take the test?

I am very glad to know that the killer left a clue behind so that he can be caught.

Jolynna
03-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Investigators are asking the public to contact them if they know of anyone that suddenly left the area right after the crime happened on November 8

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/17104706.html

Lola
03-29-2008, 05:26 AM
Investigators are asking the public to contact them if they know of anyone that suddenly left the area right after the crime happened on November 8

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/17104706.html

Thanks for posting this Joly. I'm with everyone else here, I would have thought this would be solved by now. :confused: Sad for her family and community.

Trino
03-29-2008, 10:06 AM
I initially recall this case but have not followed it much. From what I recall she was not sexually assaulted, right? Also, there was no real evidence of trauma. However, her death was deemed a homicide.

Jolynna
03-29-2008, 10:21 AM
I initially recall this case but have not followed it much. From what I recall she was not sexually assaulted, right? Also, there was no real evidence of trauma. However, her death was deemed a homicide.

The media was saying that. But, there was DNA found. It seems there is a lot they haven't released.

According to the article:

St. Joseph County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Holly Curtis told WSBT News releasing too much information in the public would be unethical and harm the investigation.

“There are a lot of things the public hasn't heard,” Curtis said. “That doesn't mean that we're not continuing the investigation. We just can't disclose the evidence or where we are. We're working hard. We're doing the best we can. We want closure for the community. We want closure for the family.”

The Sturgis newspaper says they have taken DNA samples from 64 people. It also says the bloodhound trailed all through Constantine and ended up at the cemetery.

http://www.sturgisjournal.com/articles/2008/03/28/news/doc47ed9e7b931ed201533954.txt

Reannan
03-29-2008, 11:30 PM
From the link Jolynna posted:

"Parrack was wearing a black sweater over a black T-shirt, jeans and black tennis shoes when she was discovered. Her body was lying next to her bike - a silver Mongoose."

That is a bit more information than I recall having heard before. It seemed for a while that LE was close to finding someone, and strongly suspected it to be someone Jodi knew or who was at least close to the family. The new request for people knowing someone who left the area in November is somewhat alarming!!! That is a long time to try and jog people's memory! I know one that that I commonly see in cases that are solved fairly quickly, is a good exchange of information between LE and the public. I don't think that has been the situation in this case. :confused:

MeoW333
03-30-2008, 08:06 AM
I think DNA can be used not just to find the killer but also as a tool to eliminate suspects.

If the person the article interviewed that was tested is cleared, then LE can concentrate more in other directions.

The person interviewed said someone had named him as a potential suspect. The DNA testing will clear that up.

You can't be tested against your will without a warrant. I wonder if anyone refused to take the test?

I am very glad to know that the killer left a clue behind so that he can be caught.

To eliminate suspects, it's excellent; yet to go on a wild goose chase and test the whole town would be not so good in the sense that it is time consuming and if LE is waiting on that time may be lost on other angles. I'm not sure how they're working this case..
It seems any suspects still in the area have been cleared if they are asking if anyone knows of someone who left the area that day or afterward.
I hope they are checking Jody's friends' families. Maybe they had a friend or relative who stayed with them, who may have come into contact with Jody.
Wasn't there a retired officer of sorts who they were looking at, at one point who was related to Jody's friend's family?

Jolynna
03-30-2008, 12:57 PM
To eliminate suspects, it's excellent; yet to go on a wild goose chase and test the whole town would be not so good in the sense that it is time consuming and if LE is waiting on that time may be lost on other angles. I'm not sure how they're working this case..
It seems any suspects still in the area have been cleared if they are asking if anyone knows of someone who left the area that day or afterward.
I hope they are checking Jody's friends' families. Maybe they had a friend or relative who stayed with them, who may have come into contact with Jody.
Wasn't there a retired officer of sorts who they were looking at, at one point who was related to Jody's friend's family?

I remember comments about an ex-cop relative from locals in the comment sections of local papers.

Good grief!!! I never would have expected them to run around town testing over 64 people.

I thought by doing DNA they would clear the family and maybe people who were at the house Jodi visited before she disappeared. That way they could move on from them. Or not.

Sounds like they've moved on.

Asking the public if they know of anyone in the area who left town makes me wonder about ALL THAT evidence they supposedly have. Just like testing over 64 people. Have they tested everyone in Constantine? So now they are asking about people who USED to live there....???

Are they ruling out strangers passing through town because of how the dog tracked? Is the dog the science behind the perp having to have lived in Constantine?

I think this is all very strange. (Just my opinion)

MeoW333
05-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Bumping this thread up.. has anyone heard any updates? It's been awhile now =(

Jolynna
05-01-2008, 11:45 PM
No.

I saw a little boy, much younger than Jodi, riding a bicycle along the street. (IMO too young to be out alone) But, I thought about Jodi then. It would be very hard to grab a child, drag that child into my SUV, plus the bike.

Then I would have to drive to the cemetery with my hands on the wheel and control Jodi, get a possibly screaming child out of the car, plus the bike. Arrange the bike.

And there were people out and about as it was daylight, kids were getting home from school, people were getting off of work.

I STILL think she went with someone she knew for it to have happened under the radar.

JMO

CarpeDiem
05-01-2008, 11:54 PM
You almost just described exactly what happened to Shawn Hornbeck - at the hands of a stranger. The abduction, bike, truck, those elements all there. He survived a murder attempt that would have left him much like Jodi. But he was held for year's.

Jolynna
05-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Jodi's body was found where the assailant could see her house.

I think a stranger would take her away from where she had been picked up.

IMO

CarpeDiem
05-02-2008, 12:51 PM
I don't know why these freaks do things the way they do. Elizabeth Smart was kept captive in the hills and ravines above her home for almost 3 months. She could hear the rescuers calling for her.

Jolynna
05-08-2008, 12:06 AM
On Thursday, police are expected to release new information about the progress of the investigation. More than 600 tips have come in since November, and investigators plan to give an update on their work.

http://www.wwmt.com/news/death_1349209___article.html/joseph_six.html

MeoW333
05-08-2008, 09:23 AM
http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8287769&nav=0Rce

"So on the six-month anniversary of her death 24 Hour News 8 went to investigators for some answers. Our questions got us information in the case that had not been revealed to the public, including the manner of death.
"I think it's murder," said St. Joseph County Prosecutor Doug Fisher.
Not homicide, which could include any number of accidental or unplanned death scenarios.
Still, Fisher will not reveal how Parrack died. He said he doesn't want the killer to know what investigators know."

Salem
05-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Not much info there. Says they want tips on anyone who moved out of the area shortly after Jodie was found. What about anyone who was visiting on that day?

Frustrating case.

Salem

Jolynna
05-08-2008, 05:30 PM
I'll put links up as they become available online:

Highlights from the pc today:

Prosecutor investigators say there is forensic scientific evidence that they believe will solve Jodi's murder. They would not confirm whether or not the scientific evidence is DNA.

Prosecutor Doug Fisher says they have had 100% cooperation from Jodi's parents and Jodi's entire family. All of the family members have all helped in the gathering of scientific evidence. Everyone who has helped in the gathering of scientific evidence has been cleared.

Police have had 664 tips, more than 700 people interviewed, even calls from psychics. 75% of those tips have been closed. Investigators still are looking at (what they are calling) 75 active suspects. There is no person of interest.

LE is also still asking for the public's help in identifying anyone who might have moved out of the Constantine area from after Jodi's murder in November until the end of December.

concernedperson
05-08-2008, 06:24 PM
I am so glad this is an active investigation and that all family members have been cleared. It is always a double heartbreak to see innocent family members implicated. Of course, we know this can happen as we have seen it too many times. Family members can and do commit crimes but not this time.

They must have an inclination that the person moved but may not have DNA on file. This does seem to be an appeal for additional info. I am leaning to a sexual molester/pervert who may have never been caught.If someone can recount some instances and then the person moved they may have the culprit. This person is likely transient IMO.

MeoW333
05-08-2008, 08:51 PM
What i don't understand is; if the killer was someone who Jodi had never met; why would she get into the car with him? Also the bicycle was put in the car as well. It seems so strange that she would get into the car with someone she didn't know as well as the person being able to put her bike in. If the killer had a van, i wonder if he threw her into the back of it, followed by the bike. That is the only way i can imagine; if she didn't yell do to that she could have been in shock. Otherwise i think the killer is someone she had met before, possibly a relative of one of her friend's family who may have been visiting or living there off and on. Maybe they are being "protected" by whomever knows they were in town..

Jolynna
05-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Here's a link and more information:

http://www.wwmt.com/news/investigators_1349244___article.html/jodi_say.html

http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/18784609.html

Jolynna
05-08-2008, 09:56 PM
I think investigators could find out the names of people who moved from utility companies. At least they would get the names of the people who had the utilities in his/her name that moved.

Salem, I think it could have been someone who was visiting that day, too. Or maybe someone who was living with relatives or friends. (the utilities wouldn't be in their name that way)

IMO

Salem
05-08-2008, 11:58 PM
I think it was someone she met somewhere too. I think LE needs to backtrack and see if any of Jodie's friends' families had company. Could be the person said they were leaving the day before or early on the morning of Jodie's disappearance to throw LE off track. It would have been difficult to get the bike in the vehicle... so if someone just snatched her, her bike would have been left behind.

But ... if it was someone she met at a friend's house and they offered her a ride, she would have felt safe.

Maybe someone will remember someone who was visiting......

Salem

RainbowsAndGumdrops
05-09-2008, 08:13 AM
I still think the mom is guilty.

palmerk
05-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Here you can read an article in the Kalamazoo newspaper
http://blog.mlive.com/kzgazette/2008/05/prosecutor_says_they_have_75_s.html

Basically, they still have 75 "active" suspects but apparently they have something from the crime scene that is allowing them to "rule in" or "rule out" people.

Jolynna
05-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Here you can read an article in the Kalamazoo newspaper
http://blog.mlive.com/kzgazette/2008/05/prosecutor_says_they_have_75_s.html

Basically, they still have 75 "active" suspects but apparently they have something from the crime scene that is allowing them to "rule in" or "rule out" people.

This is a good link. It has a video of the press conference.

MeoW333
05-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I think it was someone she met somewhere too. I think LE needs to backtrack and see if any of Jodie's friends' families had company. Could be the person said they were leaving the day before or early on the morning of Jodie's disappearance to throw LE off track. It would have been difficult to get the bike in the vehicle... so if someone just snatched her, her bike would have been left behind.

But ... if it was someone she met at a friend's house and they offered her a ride, she would have felt safe.

Maybe someone will remember someone who was visiting......

Salem

Salem, i agree, they really need to check her friends' families to see if they had a relative or friend staying with them that could have come into contact with Jodi.
For some reason this case reminds me of the one involving Hadden Clark who killed his niece's friend while staying at his brother's house..
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/weird/clark/index_1.html

ljwf22
05-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Although I'm glad for the media updates, I am frustrated with glacial speed this case seems to be taking. Other than stating they have forensic evidence, there is nothing new here! Jodie's family has lived in several local communities so I wonder if they've investigated in those places as well. :confused:

trixie
05-09-2008, 11:05 PM
I just read the whole thread for the first time and two things came to mind.

In the Jonbenet Ramsey case nobody knew she had a 8 1/2 inch skull fracture until the coroner did her autopsy. There was no outward sign that it was there. She, of course ,was also strangled which was obvious but nobody saw anything on her head indicating she had that skull fracture. There was no blood, no cut, nothing. Didn't know it until he opened her up. So just because nobody could see any life threatening injuries to this little girl doesn't mean they weren't there. That head injury would have killed Jonbenet eventually according to the coroner.

The other thing was the fact that some seem to think it's important that her eyes were closed. Jonbenets eyes were closed and she looked like she was asleep. I've seen crime scene photos of victims who are dead and their eyes are closed, not by anyone but just closed in death. It actually happens a lot. So I don't think the killer closed her eyes because of any kind of remorse. Of course it could have happened that way, but it is just as common that the dying person will close his or her own eyes in death. I don't think it's a clue, really.

I'm so sorry for this little girl and so frustrated with the LE there. They need to release at least a little more information to the public. Maybe someone saw something but they just need their memory jiggled a bit. I hope they find this person soon. I wonder if they have looked into it being some other kids or kid? I think it's possible she rode her bike right into that cemetary maybe to meet someone, or following someone she knew. I'm doubting that she was forced into a car. They would definetly have carpet fibers if she was though. Anyway, just a few ideas I had on this case. Thanks for letting me share my thoughts.:)

gaia227
05-21-2008, 01:56 PM
I saw a Forensics Files that reminds me of this case very much. The perp hit a little girl while she was riding her bike; not too hard but just hard enough to knock her down. The cops were able to catch him because of the paint chips that were transferred from her bike to his car and vice versa. He did leave the bike at the scene though.
The only way I can figure the bike being with her is either she was picked up by someone she knew. She left her friends house, someone from her friends house caught up with her, offered her a ride, etc or someone from her family or family friends came across her and offered a ride. OR she was lured into the Cemetary with her bike and then killed. There are many ways to manipulate a little girl into doing something she wouldn't normally do. She love animals. Perhaps the perp told her there was an injured kitten in there that needed her help, etc.
The positioning of the body is interesting when you take into account her house was in full view. That seems to be something that was done on purpose and is significant. Almost like it was directed at the parents more than at Jodi herself.

Salem
05-21-2008, 02:08 PM
gaia - the being lured is a very good possibility. Maybe she did walk that bike into the cemetary. And it is not uncommon for a perp to use lost/hurt animals as a ploy to get a child to go where they want them to! Good ideas.

Salem

I really wish something would break in this case.

jat
06-19-2008, 02:08 AM
http://blog.mlive.com/kzgazette/2007/11/jodis_mom_murder_a_nightmare.html

http://boards.crimelibrary.com/showthread.php?t=288652&page=2

SewingDeb
06-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Thank you for the links Jat. In the comments after the article at your first link someone posted that the family friend who suggested checking the cemetary has been polygraphed four times. I thought that was very interesting, if true.

jat
06-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Yes, also did you read the posts by the ex-wife and "baby mama" of Jodi's current stepfather? She didn't even realized he was remarried or had a step-child. He has apparently been moving all these years with his new family because (what she suspects) he was avoiding child support payments for his biological daughter. Those articles really make me question the family. There was so much more information and the statements by the mother make me suspicious.

I am not much of a poster, but I have been following cases all my life. I generally try to get my friends and family interested in discussions. Most folks think I am crazy poisoning my mind with this type of information, but I find that I am a much better parent knowing what is truly out there in the world.

gaia227
06-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Everyone (in the links comments) keeps commenting on how weird and wrong it is that Jodi's mother said she knew her daughter was dead......am I weird because I don't find that statement weird or suspicious. I think it is called Mother's Intuition. Her daughter didn't come home when she was supposed to, her mother had an awful feeling something had happened to her and she was right. Everyone knows that feeling when you just know something is true or has happened - I think that can be especially prevalent when talking about mothers and daughters. That bond is strong and when one of the links is gone the other knows it.

jat
06-19-2008, 03:54 PM
I don't disagree with you there and certainly make no claim that it definitely IS weird or suspicious, just makes me suspicious with all other information. For instance, the mother went to pick her up at her friend's house and she wasn't there. The friend had left for a Girl Scout meeting and they figured Jodi just tagged along. Well, if she NEVER was late...then why would she go to the meeting without calling her mom to check or anything...also why wouldn't the mother wonder where her bike was (maybe the friend rode to Girl Scouts) while she was at the meeting, etc.

Additionally, if my child always came home on time and then didn't come home on time, I would definitely be thinking that she was abducted or met with some form of foul play, but I don't believe I would be entertaining that she was DEAD. It hadn't been that long of a time. I would just try to find her. Of course, my child has never gone missing so these are all estimates of what I would do based on no true experience.

However, I do think the family dynamic has to be looked up with scrutiny due to the lack of leads in the case (always really). But, don't feel at this time the parents definitely had anything to do with her murder. While I can't help but form thought processes that go down every path, I often think...what if I went missing as a child and it was a complete stranger abduction and murder? If my family were scrutinized...holy crap...everyone would think they had done it...parents on drugs, transients buying drugs in and out of the house all the time, step-father with a violent history, mother that doesn't stand up for herself...the list goes on...but my parents NEVER EVER would have harmed me physically. To an outsider though, they'd sure look shady.

SewingDeb
06-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Jat, I did see the post from the stepfather's ex wife. She called him cold hearted (or was it cold blooded?) and talked about how he didn't even call his own flesh and blood children after Jodi was killed.

SewingDeb
06-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Gaia, I don't think it is odd that her mother knew. Sometimes we just know something without knowing why or how we know.

Salem
06-19-2008, 04:36 PM
I agree that sometimes we just know something. I always know when my son or my granddaughter are distressed and that I need to call them. My grandson's "connection threads" are not quite as strong. But here is what I think, even if Jodi's mom "knew" how could she say it outloud? Maybe she didn't until after Jodie was found. For me, I just don't think I could say the words, before I knew for sure because I wouldn't be able to let go of that hope.

Salem

hoppyfrog
11-03-2008, 01:11 PM
http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9284264

3 Nov 08

A year ago next Saturday, Jodi Parrack's body was found in a cemetery not far from her home in St. Joseph County.

Family, friends and investigators will mark that day with a candlelight vigil for the 11-year-old whose killer has not been found.

She was the victim of a murder. But so far, investigators have not released the cause of death or other details of the crime.

They told 24 Hour News 8 earlier this year they don't want the suspect, or suspects, to know what they know.

Prosecutors also told us they had scientific evidence, but they had yet to match that evidence to a suspect.

Over 100 people have been interviewed in connection with the murder. But so far, no arrests have been made.

Investigators are still asking for tips from the public.

Along with remembering her life, prosecutors involved in the case say the vigil will help get the word back out to the public.

The vigil is set for 7 p.m. Saturday at the Park at Washington and East Third.

pic
http://woodtv.images.worldnow.com/images/9284264_BG1.jpg

gaia227
11-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks for posting the link. I can't believe it has been a year already. It is encouraging to know they have scientific evidence. If they do have DNA then surely they have tested it against the family, the step-father, the people who were at the house she left to ride home, etc.....unless of course there are people who are refusing to cooperate.

CaliKid
11-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Has it honestly been a year already? I am so sorry they haven't solved this crime because IMO, the perp is a slimy little coward who should be rotting in jail.

gaia227
11-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Well almost - this Saturday it will be.

MeoW333
11-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I wish they solved this case by now. I'm glad to see that they are going a vigil and that it's not been a forgotten case

omsk99
11-07-2008, 03:55 PM
~snip

"CONSTANTINE, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Nearly one year ago a Constantine mother found her 11-year-old daughter dead in a cemetery near her home."

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/constantine_1355467___article.html/year_newschannel.html

Very few details about the crime have been released so far, at least that I've seen. Was sexual assault the motive? Her parents have been ruled out, so it really can be anyone, local or a drifter. She might have witnessed something she shouldn't have; I just can't think of anything else besides that or a sexual assault that could push someone to do something so horrible :(

colette
11-07-2008, 07:28 PM
http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/34109569.html

"They have now confirmed it's DNA evidence, but they're not saying what kind or exactly where they found it. Investigators say even with this evidence it will still be difficult to find Jodi’s killer.

Police have received more than 650 tips over the past year. But investigators say the majority of them have not been credible leads.

They want to know about anyone who moved away from the Constantine area between early November and the end of December."

colette
11-07-2008, 07:31 PM
The killer could have been visiting with friends or family at the time of the murder. My guess is it was someone young and walked, no car at the time as Jodi was found so close to home.

I agree OMSK99, it looks like a sexual crime. They are not saying cause of death, but I bet it was something like hit with a rock or strangulation.

MeoW333
11-08-2008, 10:27 PM
The killer could have been visiting with friends or family at the time of the murder. My guess is it was someone young and walked, no car at the time as Jodi was found so close to home.

I agree OMSK99, it looks like a sexual crime. They are not saying cause of death, but I bet it was something like hit with a rock or strangulation.

That's my guess too. The whole scenario reminds me of one of Hadden Clark's (serial killer) victims, Michele Dorr. The timeline was fudged, as her father was watching a car race on tv and didn't want to look unattentive, so Hadden Clark got away with it at first.

Salem
11-08-2008, 10:34 PM
You know - this is a very small community. Why can't the police just check to see who had their electricity, phone and/or gas disconnected during November/December? If they really think it was someone who moved away from the area.

I think is was someone that came to visit and the person/people they were visiting just haven't said anything because they are certain it couldn't be their relative/friend.

Seems this could be chased down though. Maybe time consuming, but certainly not rock science.

Salem

RIP Jodie, may the angels be with you.

colette
11-08-2008, 10:34 PM
MeoW, Hopefully this case will be solved before there is another murder. That poor Mr. Dorr, lost his daughter then was blamed. Hadden Clark was a nasty guy.

colette
11-08-2008, 10:38 PM
I agree Salem, by now LE should know every person who lived or even visited that town during that time. It's just not that big. The killer must not have told anyone or raised any suspicions.... maybe he is there in plain sight? Maybe he visited his Moma and she knows he would never do something like this. They asked and tested probably everyone they could think of, no DNA match. I'm thinking he was a kid at the time and they don't think he was involved.

omsk99
11-09-2008, 04:27 AM
I find it so strange that even with DNA evidence, there isn't even a POI in this case. If someone was visiting or moved away, it would have been known in such a small community. Perhaps they don't have enough evidence to force someone to submit a DNA sample, although as far as we know, there isn't even a POI in this case. I agree, it could be someone local and eiter a iminor or someone that no one would even suspect of such a heinous crime. As time goes by, the case is getting cold :(

MeoW333
11-09-2008, 11:03 AM
I agree Salem, by now LE should know every person who lived or even visited that town during that time. It's just not that big. The killer must not have told anyone or raised any suspicions.... maybe he is there in plain sight? Maybe he visited his Moma and she knows he would never do something like this. They asked and tested probably everyone they could think of, no DNA match. I'm thinking he was a kid at the time and they don't think he was involved.

That is true.. i wonder if they dna tested teenaged boys; probably not..

colette
11-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Omsk, As far as I can see every person LE asked to take a DNA test complied and tested negative according to press accounts. That's why I'm thinking the killer might have been young at the time, or maybe a complete stranger that no one saw that day.

ljwf22
11-10-2008, 01:16 PM
CONSTANTINE

On what would have been Jodi Parrack's 12th birthday, her mother placed a wind chime and vase of flowers at her grave and told her she wanted her to come home.

Then Valerie Carver turned to leave -- returning to the reality that Jodi is gone and her killer has yet to be found.

``To me, it seems like it's still yesterday,'' said Carver, recalling how she and a group of friends discovered Jodi's body last November in the Constantine Township Cemetery. ``I'm still stuck there. ... I feel almost like I'm in a movie, and when the movie's over, she'll be back. But I know she's not.''

Link:
http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-31/12262080269710.xml&coll=7

MeoW333
11-10-2008, 06:04 PM
"Carver says she hears them, that drugs or her family are linked to the year-old homicide. Since Jodi's death, Carver said some friends of her two young sons have been barred from visiting her home."
http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-31/12262080269710.xml&coll=7

I wonder if LE has taken into account any of Jodi's older brothers' friends as well..

omsk99
11-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Rememberence vigil

http://www.sturgisjournal.com/news/x1772940790/Rememberence-vigil

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/34153904.html

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/34148749.html

Salem
11-12-2008, 02:48 AM
That is true.. i wonder if they dna tested teenaged boys; probably not..

And maybe they should test LE, also.......

Salem