PDA

View Full Version : Girl Beaten, in Coma After Dare to Kiss

Ghostwheel
03-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Can you believe this? Where were these women raised, by wolves?

Girl Beaten, in Coma After Dare to Kiss
http://www.abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040310_1709.html

Casshew
03-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Wow.. don't insult wolves like that!

They beat this girl for 30 minutes... can you imagine? that is just crazy and over something so stupid, there must be more to the story we are not hearing.

Ghostwheel
03-10-2004, 09:55 PM
You're right. Wolves only attack for a reason.

Toth
03-11-2004, 07:16 AM
Girl Beaten, in Coma After Dare to Kiss

What's the matter, Ghostwheel? Ain't you never heard of a "BOS"?

The penalty for kissing another girl's boyfriend is often a BOS.

Note to those who live in the suburbs:

BOS means Beat On Sight. Its the DUTY of every member of a girl's gang to immediately beat up any girl who has had a BOS put on her.

Ghostwheel
03-11-2004, 03:11 PM
What's the matter, Ghostwheel? Ain't you never heard of a "BOS"?

The penalty for kissing another girl's boyfriend is often a BOS.

Note to those who live in the suburbs:

BOS means Beat On Sight. Its the DUTY of every member of a girl's gang to immediately beat up any girl who has had a BOS put on her.Mus' be new, Blood. In my day it was IYF (In yo' face), and the first go was a warning with about five girls 1/4 inch from the guilty parties face with a "Whachoo think yo' doin', B***h". One go round of that, and it never happened again. I had no idea they upped the ante over the years.

So your telling me if some guy who has a girlfriend, kisses another girl, the girl get whomped? Yeah, that's really new to me.

LP Moderator
03-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Okay, I may be really "old school," but what in the hell are 12 year olds doing with boyfriends and why are 12 year olds kissing in the first place?

Toth
03-11-2004, 06:43 PM
Nowadays, by the time they are twelve they definitely have boyfriends and its not platonic!

LP Moderator
03-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Nowadays, by the time they are twelve they definitely have boyfriends and its not platonic!

NOT my 12 year olds!

Ghostwheel
03-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Nowadays, by the time they are twelve they definitely have boyfriends and its not platonic!Man, Toth, where do you live? I need to keep my kids away from that place.

Toth
03-12-2004, 12:37 PM
I need to keep my kids away from that place.
Perhaps you could move them to the South Seas where several years ago a yachtsman visited a small island and this occasioned a feast, afterwards he was provided with guest quarters that consisted of a thatched roof hut and comfortable bed, made all the more comfortable by the attentions of a young lady who in their culture was certainly old enough. Upon taking his departure the next afternoon, the yachtsman was earnestly asked by the Chief if these stories he had heard were true: were there in fact far off places where in order to obtain food and shelter one had to part with an item of value called money?
Moral: Don't knock someone's culture until you've thought about it for awhile.

tuppence
03-12-2004, 01:42 PM
??????????????????????????????????

LP Moderator
03-12-2004, 02:35 PM
??????????????????????????????????

Don't even bother Tuppence. Its not worth it, believe me. :cool:

Toth
03-12-2004, 03:56 PM
In reply to your ?????????? Tuppence, the point I was trying to make is that instead of the poster condemning the violence intrinsic to a society wherein a 12 year old girl gets a BOS for such an infraction he should step back and consider the advantages of such a social system as well rather than automatically condemning it.

LP Moderator
03-12-2004, 04:00 PM
In reply to your ?????????? Tuppence, the point I was trying to make is that instead of the poster condemning the violence intrinsic to a society wherein a 12 year old girl gets a BOS for such an infraction he should step back and consider the advantages of such a social system as well rather than automatically condemning it.

Perhaps you could list those advantages for us??

tuppence
03-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Toth,

I don't usually agree with you but I do generally understand what you are trying to say. On this one I am completely confused as to your point/train of logic. Are you trying to say that just because a certain society is less violent than another, its morals are not necessarily better?

Even if this your point, I'm still confused about why anyone should want to live where "BOS" is an accepted practice....its hard to believe such a place could represent the pinnacle of what's available...

tuppence

Toth
03-12-2004, 08:58 PM
I didn't say that anyone should necessarily want to live there. I'm only trying to bring out the point that in certain areas of the nation this is an accepted practice rather than some aberrant act. Its more cultural than anything else. Same with their lying to the police afterwards, they've been brought up that way. Its not really all that unusual. Usually a BOS doesn't result in a coma, but they often come pretty close. Its just that with so many present and a few of them being much older, no one was willing to break with the customs and stop the beating. Its sort of reminiscent of the English navy wherein a man would be flogged round the fleet, so that every one of five ships in a squadron might administer the twenty lashes. The fact that before the day was out, they were flogging a corpse did not matter. The punishment was administered anyway. Same with the BOS. Girl Gangs are tough.

Ghostwheel
03-13-2004, 01:40 AM
I didn't say that anyone should necessarily want to live there. I'm only trying to bring out the point that in certain areas of the nation this is an accepted practice rather than some aberrant act. Its more cultural than anything else. Same with their lying to the police afterwards, they've been brought up that way. Its not really all that unusual. Usually a BOS doesn't result in a coma, but they often come pretty close. Its just that with so many present and a few of them being much older, no one was willing to break with the customs and stop the beating. Its sort of reminiscent of the English navy wherein a man would be flogged round the fleet, so that every one of five ships in a squadron might administer the twenty lashes. The fact that before the day was out, they were flogging a corpse did not matter. The punishment was administered anyway. Same with the BOS. Girl Gangs are tough.I wasn't saying anyone else didn't have a right to live or be anything they want or live anywhere they want. I choose to keep my children away from there, which is my right. I choose to keep my children away from where I grew up, too. I understand the culture, I lived the culture, I don't want anymore part of the culture. I can condemn (judge unfit) for myself and my family anything I choose, as long as I do so for myself and my family (while they are under my care) If someone told me crocodiles were swimming in a lake, I wouldn't let my family swim there. Doesn't mean I think the crocs are wrong, just what they are.

Get your facts straight. ;)

Toth
03-14-2004, 11:33 AM
And if a crocodile enjoyed a meal, you would likewise accept that is part of nature. And not think it was 'wrong' of the crocodile.

Its the same way as American society changes ... standards of decency and behavior change too. A BOS does not mean that five girls will together administer one beating, it means that each of the five will administer a beating. A member is not permitted to shirk from the duty imposed by a BOS.

There are alot of calls for such swift and certain punishment on this board for sex offenders. Yet you condemn those who wish to administer swift and certain punishment for kissing another girl's boyfriend.

Is it only the cultural values of those who live behind white picket fences that should be upheld with summary violence?

Maybe So
03-14-2004, 12:16 PM
And if a crocodile enjoyed a meal, you would likewise accept that is part of nature. And not think it was 'wrong' of the crocodile.

Its the same way as American society changes ... standards of decency and behavior change too. A BOS does not mean that five girls will together administer one beating, it means that each of the five will administer a beating. A member is not permitted to shirk from the duty imposed by a BOS.

There are alot of calls for such swift and certain punishment on this board for sex offenders. Yet you condemn those who wish to administer swift and certain punishment for kissing another girl's boyfriend.

Is it only the cultural values of those who live behind white picket fences that should be upheld with summary violence?

She didn't kiss the other girl's boyfriend. The boy kissed HER.

You have a pretty twisted view of right and wrong. I'll stick with my own. BOS is wrong no matter what culture....even the people who perform them KNOW that it is wrong.

Toth
03-14-2004, 01:18 PM
You have a pretty twisted view of right and wrong. We all do. The code of Hamurabi prohibited the charging of even nominal interest but permitted the taking and keeping of slaves. The Boston Tea Party was instigated by a smuggler who would have been financially ruined if the English tea had reached market. We all have different views of right and wrong. Right and Wrong change over time and place. What about the Laconia Incident? When an American plane was ordered to bomb a German ship that was engaged in rescue operations and had its guns covered by a flag displaying a red cross on a white background what was right and wrong then?
Is it 'right' for adult females living behind white picket fences to instill their cultural values by running a Girl Scout Troop but wrong for these two adult women to instill their cultural values by teaching the young girls to live up to the obligations of a BOS?

Trino
03-14-2004, 03:30 PM
Toth, this is NOT accepted behavior in 2004 in the United States. I presume you are living here. These things are against the law, doesn't matter who does them or how usual/unusual they are. Lying to the police is against the law, too. Has it occurred to you that if the girl dies, it's a murder charge? Right and Wrong are written down in something called LAW. I, for one, do not expect these laws to change in my lifetime to accommodate a bunch of punk girls/adults being allowed to beat a 12 year old girl into a coma.

Toth
03-14-2004, 05:28 PM
I, for one, do not expect these laws to change in my lifetime to accommodate a bunch of punk girls/adults being allowed to beat a 12 year old girl into a coma. What about a bunch of white picket fencers beating a sex offender who moves into their neighborhood into a coma?

Ghostwheel
03-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Is it only the cultural values of those who live behind white picket fences that should be upheld with summary violence?Summary violence from where? It isn't legal to beat anyone to coma or death, except under special circumstances, like your own imminent death) no matter what fence you live behind, or even if you don't have a fence.

Try again.

What about a bunch of white picket fencers beating a sex offender who moves into their neighborhood into a coma? Where did this happen? Show me their picket fences. (Anyone I know who would do that doesn't have a picket fence) People can express their opinion that they'd like to beat someone who HAS COMITTED AN OFFENSE (not "has paid for their offense, and has now moved into their neighborhood".), and it doesn't mean they will actually do it. Because it would be against the law if they did, so they don't.

Try again.

Is it 'right' for adult females living behind white picket fences to instill their cultural values by running a Girl Scout Troop but wrong for these two adult women to instill their cultural values by teaching the young girls to live up to the obligations of a BOS?In the case of a Girl Scout troop, no one has to join. These values are not forced on anyone, and if you choose to leave you can (happens all the time). The BOS values you speak of (if that really exists) forces their values on whomever is there because if they do not participate, they will be victims of BOS themselves, and if they try to leave the group, same thing. Apples to Oranges. In addition, if you live in a country, you are required to live by their rules, not make up your own. It make be cultural in one country to cut off the hand of a person caught stealing. That doesn't mean a person who immigrated here can do that to someone who steals from him with impunity.

Try again.

SieSie
03-15-2004, 02:08 AM
I didn't say that anyone should necessarily want to live there. I'm only trying to bring out the point that in certain areas of the nation this is an accepted practice rather than some aberrant act. Its more cultural than anything else. Same with their lying to the police afterwards, they've been brought up that way. Its not really all that unusual. Usually a BOS doesn't result in a coma, but they often come pretty close. Its just that with so many present and a few of them being much older, no one was willing to break with the customs and stop the beating. Its sort of reminiscent of the English navy wherein a man would be flogged round the fleet, so that every one of five ships in a squadron might administer the twenty lashes. The fact that before the day was out, they were flogging a corpse did not matter. The punishment was administered anyway. Same with the BOS. Girl Gangs are tough.

What's BOS mean? This was gang-related? I thought it was just a girl getting a kiss from a boy and other girls got jealous and beat her so badly she ended up in a coma. Maybe I need to go re-read the thread, I'm sure I've missed alot of posts.

Edited to add: BOS - Beat On Site - holy cow, how disgusting. How primitive and violent and senseless. I re-read the meaning of BOS, but still haven't read anywhere (news links) that this was gang related - are you sure of this? Either way, it's absolutely sickening and I hope this poor 12 year old girl comes out of her coma and can live a productive life. I also hope that every last one of the people who laid a hand on her get to spend a long, long time behind bars.

Toth
03-15-2004, 05:14 AM
I think that the adults involved will be doing time over this incident, as they indeed should. Its usually less likely that the juveniles will do time, much less hard time.

It is true that news reports have been totally silent about any gang affiliations or the "Beat On Sight" traditions of girl gangs, but given the location involved I'm sure BOS was the first thought of many who heard the early reports. It is indeed senseless to come to blows over such a trivial incident as a kiss, much less one that took place at a party as a result of a dare. And to have those blows continue long enough so as to put the victim into a coma is disgraceful, particularly for the adults involved. Please don't think that my cultural analysis of this incident is some sort of endorsement of it.

LP Moderator
03-15-2004, 11:04 AM
What about a bunch of white picket fencers beating a sex offender who moves into their neighborhood into a coma?

Was it a "convicted" sex offender? If so, give me the address and I'll come by and help out!

Doyle
03-15-2004, 01:24 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.beating11mar11,1,7368865.story
The vicious beating of a 12-year-old girl at a birthday party in West Baltimore has led to the arrest of five people -- three women and two girls -- who are accused of kicking, stomping and punching the girl until she was bloodied and unconscious.
The victim, Nicole Ashley Townes, of the 400 block of Lyndhurst St., has been in a coma since the Feb. 28 attack. She was listed in critical condition last night at Johns Hopkins Childrens Center.

Doctors treating Nicole told police that she has severe head injuries and "no brain activity" -- the result of neurological damage from loss of oxygen.

Nicole's grandmother and pastor said last night that the girl opened her eyes and tried to speak this week, but that she remains unconscious.

"I don't know why this happened," said Jerelean Wilson, the girl's maternal grandmother, who attended the party but left before the attack. "Nicole is a beautiful person, and I don't know why they would want to do this."

Police arrested three women and two teen-age girls Tuesday after an anonymous tip from someone who witnessed the attack, which took place at a child's 13th birthday party.

Monique Baldwin, 36, of the 500 block of Loudon Ave., and Erin Baldwin, 19, address unknown, were charged with attempted murder, assault, and false imprisonment, said Detective Donny Moses of the city Police Department. It was unclear if the two women are related.

Kenya Keene, 25, who lives with Nicole at her grandmother's house, was charged with assault and conspiracy to commit child abuse. However, Nicole's family defended Keene yesterday, saying that she loved the girl and would never hurt her.

The family said that Keene, who attended the party, was absent when the beating took place. A witness told police that when Keene returned to the party and found Nicole unconscious, she demanded that someone call 911.

Two unidentified juveniles -- ages 13 and 14 -- also were arrested and charged with attempted murder, Moses said.

"This is a horrendous story," he said. "As I read the police report, I get sick to my stomach."

It started with a kiss.

According to charging documents obtained by The Sun, Nicole and her half-sister, Brenda Bailey, 11, were at Monique Baldwin's house for the 13-year-old girl's party. Someone dared a boy to kiss Nicole. After the boy kissed her, several people surrounded Nicole and Brenda.

Monique Baldwin told the 14-year-old to "handle your business," at which point the 14-year-old and 13-year-old began to slap and punch Nicole and Brenda and the 13-year-old stomped on Nicole's head, according a witness statement in the documents.

Later, Monique Baldwin encouraged the 13-year-old to attack Nicole again, the documents said. When the teen hesitated, Monique Baldwin grabbed Nicole and shoved her into the 13-year-old, and Nicole was punched in the face and body, the documents said, adding that as Nicole tried to crawl away, the 14-year-old kicked her in the stomach.

According to the charging documents, Monique Baldwin encouraged the two girls to strike Nicole in the head, yelling: "We don't take body shots, we do the head." The 14-year-old jumped on top of Nicole, pulled her hair and repeatedly smashed her head into the floor, the documents said. The beating continued, according to police accounts, and a 7-year-old boy was encouraged to participate.

Later, Monique Baldwin instructed her family to shut all the windows and turn up the music so that party guests could beat Nicole and Brenda without anyone hearing their cries, the charging documents said.

According to the documents, the females stomped and kicked Nicole until one noticed that she was bleeding and not moving. Monique Baldwin tried to revive the girl by pouring water down her throat, the documents said.

The girl was accused of "faking it," and when a family member tried to call 911, she was not allowed to do so, documents said. When Keene returned to the party, she made the call.

Last night, her grandmother said that Nicole's mother, Bonita Wilson, is staying at the hospital with her daughter.

Brenda, who also suffered injuries, has been placed in the care of the Child Protective Services, police said.

The Rev. Durrell Williams, pastor of Full Gospel Deliverance Church, at 1053 N. Milton Ave., where Nicole is a junior usher and a member of the "dance ministry," said the family is stunned by the attack.

"I'm really, really appalled," Williams said. "Nicole was close to all of us. She played an important role in our lives. We have been trying to get to the bottom of this since Day One."

Doyle
03-15-2004, 01:24 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.beating12mar12,1,7827619.story
A 12-year-old girl who was viciously beaten at a friend's birthday party in West Baltimore emerged from a coma yesterday as authorities continued to piece together what happened and who participated in the violence.

Five people -- two women and three teens -- have been charged in the incident, accused of kicking, stomping on and punching Nicole Ashley Townes until she was bloodied and unconscious.

Nicole, who lives in the 400 block of Lyndhurst St., had been in a coma since the attack Feb. 28. She was listed in critical condition last night at Johns Hopkins Children's Center.

She is breathing on her own and responding to questions with a thumbs-up or thumbs-down, said Detective Donny Moses of the Baltimore Police Department.

Monique Baldwin, 36, of the 500 block of Loudon Ave., and Erin Baldwin, 19, address unknown, were charged with attempted murder, assault and false imprisonment, court documents show. Both women are being held without bail in the city jail.

The motivation for the attack was that a boy kissed Nicole on a dare during the birthday party at the home of Monique Baldwin, according to the documents.

"It was that kiss," Moses said yesterday. "None of it makes sense to me. They got angry over that kiss."

At West Baltimore Middle School yesterday, where Nicole is a sixth-grader, pupils, teachers and administrators were saddened, and dozens of her classmates made get-well cards.

"Nicole helped ... another sixth-grader with her reading," teacher Frann Fischer said yesterday. "She listened to her read, and if the other little girl had some difficulty, she would help her. She was like a mother hen. A very good student, very conscientious."

Monique Baldwin, who was giving the party for her 13-year-old daughter, appeared to be the instigator of the attack, according to court records, as she repeatedly ordered her two daughters, 13 and 14, and her 7-year-old son to beat and stomp on Nicole until she was limp. And it was the kiss, documents said, that precipitated the attack.

A woman who family members say was Nicole's primary caretaker, Kenya Keene, was also charged in the crime. Keene is a friend of Nicole's family and had become a mother figure to the girl after Nicole's mother, Bonita Wilson, failed to take care of the child, according to family members.

Keene, 25, is charged with assault, conspiracy to commit child abuse and making a false statement to an officer. She is being held in lieu of $35,000 bail.

Documents state that although Keene was not at the party at the time of the beating, she knew what had occurred and lied to police about Nicole's injuries when officers arrived at Baldwin's house.

After the incident, Keene told police that Nicole had suffered a diabetic episode and had fallen down, which "misled the doctors," according to documents. Keene "ultimately prevented hospital staff from accurately treating [Nicole] for the trauma she had sustained from the beatings," records said.

Nicole and her half-sister, Brenda Bailey, 11, were attending the party in the 500 block of N. Louden Ave. when the boy kissed Nicole. Soon after, several people surrounded Nicole and Brenda.

Monique Baldwin told her 14-year-old daughter to "handle your business," at which point the girl and her sister began to slap, punch and kick Nicole and Brenda, documents show. The 13-year-old stomped on Nicole's head, and the 14-year-old kicked her in the stomach, according to a witness statement in court documents.

Monique Baldwin further encouraged the two girls to strike Nicole in the head, yelling: "We don't take body shots. We do the head," according to documents.

The beating continued, according to police accounts, and the 7-year-old son was encouraged to join in.

Later, Monique Baldwin instructed her family to close the windows and turn up the music to muffle cries by Nicole and Brenda, the charging documents said.

Brenda, who suffered less severe injuries than Nicole, has been placed in the care of the Child Protective Services, police said.

Nicole's mother could not be reached for comment yesterday. Bonita Wilson has been at the hospital with her daughter, according to Nicole's maternal grandmother, Jerelean Wilson.

The grandmother said that she adopted Keene two years ago, which is when Keene started caring for Nicole and Brenda.

Nicole's mother often stayed in her room, rarely coming out or interacting with people, said the Rev. Durrell Williams, pastor of Full Gospel Deliverance Church, where Nicole is a junior usher.

Williams said he frequently saw the children with Keene and almost never with their mother.

"She didn't leave the house," Williams said of Bonita Wilson.

Jerelean Wilson said her daughter essentially gave up caring for her children.

"I wouldn't say she wasn't able to care for her children," Jerelean Wilson said. "She just didn't do it. Kenya took over the mother part."

But police say Keene could be violent with the girls. Just before the birthday party started, Keene had chased Brenda into a bathroom and beaten her for "unknown reasons," according to documents.

"Keene made several comments about if she hits her and breaks a nail she would be in serious trouble," court documents said. "In fact, it is at this time Kenya Keene breaks her nail striking victim Brenda Bailey in the head several times."

Rodney Bailey, the father of Brenda Bailey, said yesterday that he is horrified by the attack on his daughter. He said he is hoping to regain full custody of the child as soon as possible.

"I just want to get her back as soon as I can," Bailey said.

Sun staff writers Lynn Anderson, Laurie Willis and Del Quentin Wilber contributed to this article.

Toth
03-16-2004, 11:40 AM
Was it a "convicted" sex offender? If so, give me the address and I'll come by and help out!But do you object to this particular act of "justice"? She wan't convicted of the kiss, but they didn't need a trial for an act that they themselves had witnessed: they just "took care of business".

on-edit: I trust you all recognize the "lingo" in the use of such terms as "Beat On Sight" and "Taking Care of Business".

mindys
03-16-2004, 12:55 PM
Apples and Oranges Toth. The victim here is 13 years old!!

Brefie
03-16-2004, 01:16 PM
But do you object to this particular act of "justice"? She wan't convicted of the kiss, but they didn't need a trial for an act that they themselves had witnessed: they just "took care of business".

You think a 13 year old girl who kisses a boy should be in the same boat as a sex offender??

Toth
03-16-2004, 01:30 PM
The sex offender might have been wrongfully convicted or might have reformed, but would be beaten merely for his existence; whereas the 13 year old's transgression was witnessed.

SieSie
03-16-2004, 09:17 PM
I think that the adults involved will be doing time over this incident, as they indeed should. Its usually less likely that the juveniles will do time, much less hard time.

It is true that news reports have been totally silent about any gang affiliations or the "Beat On Sight" traditions of girl gangs, but given the location involved I'm sure BOS was the first thought of many who heard the early reports. It is indeed senseless to come to blows over such a trivial incident as a kiss, much less one that took place at a party as a result of a dare. And to have those blows continue long enough so as to put the victim into a coma is disgraceful, particularly for the adults involved. Please don't think that my cultural analysis of this incident is some sort of endorsement of it.

I'm sorry if it came across as my being offended at you, Toth. I was just so apalled (sp?) at hearing of this "ritual" or whatever with girl gangs. Truly senseless, I can't understand how people can do such things for no reason (such as self defense). Anyway, thanks for the clarification that you don't agree with this practice, either.
:)
SieSie

SieSie
03-16-2004, 09:41 PM
The sex offender might have been wrongfully convicted or might have reformed, but would be beaten merely for his existence; whereas the 13 year old's transgression was witnessed.

WHAT?! The 13 year old VICTIM didn't have any transgression - someone dared a boy to kiss her and a boy kissed her. There was no crime involved, thus no need for "vigilante justice".

I can't believe what I read about the mother encouraging her children to kick her in the head. How sickening, how demented to think that this was justified by ANY reasons. I don't care if the young girl had stolen $20 from the mom's purse - there are other ways to deal with things besides violence and rage. :furious: Shame, shame, shame on that so-called mother!!

Ghostwheel
03-17-2004, 12:03 AM
The sex offender might have been wrongfully convicted or might have reformed, but would be beaten merely for his existence; whereas the 13 year old's transgression was witnessed.My Gawd, Man! You're right! How dare that girl be at that party! And have an exposed face to kiss! I'm certain that their culture dictates that no one be anywhere where you might have an exposed face (or any other part) that someone might kiss without your permission.

:slap:

LP Moderator
04-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Teens plead guilty to beating girl into coma after boy kissed her

BALTIMORE (AP) — Two teenage girls admitted Wednesday they attacked a 12-year-old girl at a birthday party because a boy kissed her on the cheek. The beating put the girl in a coma for three weeks.

The girls, ages 14 and 13, pleaded guilty in juvenile court to two counts of second-degree assault in exchange for prosecutors dropping charges of attempted murder, first-degree assault and reckless endangerment, said Roland Walker, an attorney for the older defendant.

In the Feb. 28 attack, Nicole Townes was pummeled, stomped and scratched until her body went limp. Authorities believe Nicole suffered brain damage.

Walker said the defendants' ages and their "collateral" role in the attack were taken into account by the state.

Stephen Bergman, a public defender who represented the younger girl, declined to comment as did juvenile court Judge Edward R.K. Hargadon and a spokesman for the city prosecutor's office.

The girls were released to stay with their families, on an electronic monitoring system, until their May 26 sentencing.

Another 13-year-old girl, a 15-year-old and two women were also charged in the assault and police charged a 24-year-old woman who lived with Nicole with child abuse and neglect for leaving the girl at the party.

Police and prosecutors said Nicole's beating began when a boy at the party, acting on a dare, kissed her on the cheek. The mother of the girl celebrating her birthday was apparently offended because the boy was supposed to be her daughter's boyfriend. The mother allegedly urged her daughter to "handle your business," which said meant the girl was supposed to defend the family's honor.

Nicole was attacked by as many as six women and girls, police said. The birthday girl and her 36-year-old mother were among those charged.

www.courttv.com

Brefie
04-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the update, LP!!