PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Officer's Wife Killed At CVS

SuziQ
12-27-2007, 04:06 PM
It all happened while the husband was inside the store. This sounds like a hit to me. I hate to sound so negative, but IMO, it's probably at the direction of the LE husband.

(snip)
Cobb had been shot through the vehicle's window and nothing appeared to be taken. The shooter is believed to have left on foot.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/14930759/detail.html

Taximom
12-27-2007, 04:31 PM
It could also have been a set up by the husband.

Yes, I read too much at WS! lol

calidreamin
12-27-2007, 04:39 PM
I read too much WS too TM:blowkiss: . It sounds like a set up by the husband to me.

pixies
12-27-2007, 04:55 PM
It could also have been a set up by the husband.

Yes, I read too much at WS! lol

Yikes! I was thinking the same thing. WOW.

That is pretty random and scary if he had nothing to do with it. How sad.

Taximom
12-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Not to make fun of the situation but if HIS last name is "cobb"... (cob, cobb, get it, Bobby Cutts etc)

She was shot right in the head. Why isn't she in the store with him? What are the chances you are shot in the head, and nothing is stolen from you. Not your purse, or your car...

Of course, we don't know if there was an attempted robbery as well.

Who was the guy in Boston that set up his pregant wife to be killed in a bad part of town. Charles...Stuart, I think.

nanandjim
12-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Sounds suspicious to me.

Littledeer
12-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Taxi:

It was Charles Stuart, after he and his wife left a lamaze class. I remember it well.

Also sounds like a set up to me. Hopefully, his cell phone records will be checked out!!

SuziQ
12-27-2007, 08:30 PM
According to the below linked article, the husband is a sergeant on the Detroit Police Department assigned to the Eastern District station. The pharmacy is located on the east side of the city. The wife was shot through a window, so it appears robbery wasn't the motive. Retaliation against the husband could be a motive.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071227/METRO/712270437

Filly
12-27-2007, 10:47 PM
They so have to have video tape of that. CVS is like Fort Knox in my hood. Cameras everywhere.

MeoW333
12-27-2007, 11:32 PM
According to the below linked article, the husband is a sergeant on the Detroit Police Department assigned to the Eastern District station. The pharmacy is located on the east side of the city. The wife was shot through a window, so it appears robbery wasn't the motive. Retaliation against the husband could be a motive.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071227/METRO/712270437

SuziQ, my first thought is that maybe someone he had put away had got out and recognized him or had been stalking him to for vengeance. Were they in a bad area?
That would explain potential witnesses taking off out of the parking lot; the no snitch rule and also out of fear of getting involved.

oceanblueeyes
12-27-2007, 11:46 PM
It all happened while the husband was inside the store. This sounds like a hit to me. I hate to sound so negative, but IMO, it's probably at the direction of the LE husband.

(snip)
Cobb had been shot through the vehicle's window and nothing appeared to be taken. The shooter is believed to have left on foot.

I wonder if it could have been an attempted carjacking. Maybe they told her to open the door and she refused so they shot through the window, out of rage.

There is so much crime up there it really is hard to say.

Heck in a town close to me last Friday LE and SWAT teams were all over the biggest malls there. An informant who had infiltrated one of the gangs there said the gang members had a plan to shoot unsuspecting women that were sitting in their cars or getting out or in their vehicles. They had the entire Mall on lock down and did find three gang members and they all were carrying weapons.

Scary and dangerous times imo.

imoo

Filly
12-28-2007, 12:15 AM
the no snitch rule
Snitches get stitches. This law of the street is the most backward thinking ever. Don't people get it yet who have loved ones who are also victims that you're just ensuring these criminals more time out on the street to kill again and again?

SuziQ
12-28-2007, 01:10 AM
Between the spike in cop killings and witness retaliation that is out of control, anything could be possible. Would a LE husband leave his wife alone in a car in a bad neighborhood though? Carjacking attempt maybe. I wonder if the keys were in the car and the car running? Because how do you carjack a car minus a driver and keys? It's still not making sense.

Filly
12-28-2007, 02:47 AM
Between the spike in cop killings and witness retaliation that is out of control, anything could be possible. Would a LE husband leave his wife alone in a car in a bad neighborhood though? Carjacking attempt maybe. I wonder if the keys were in the car and the car running? Because how do you carjack a car minus a driver and keys? It's still not making sense.

Good, good points, SuziQ. You are right. Would a LE officer leave a family member in a car alone in a bad neck of the woods? NO! Then again possibly the woman was sick or didn't want to go in? The key question though is an excellent one.

MissieMt
12-28-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm really hoping more is put out on this. Everyone here has brought up some very good questions. I could see her waiting in the car if he was just running in for a minute-but not in a bad part of town.

SuziQ
12-28-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm really hoping more is put out on this. Everyone here has brought up some very good questions. I could see her waiting in the car if he was just running in for a minute-but not in a bad part of town.

I looked and so far I see nothing new in the media today. I know when I've lived in bad areas, that I've driven out of my way to shop in better areas.

fran
12-28-2007, 04:15 PM
From this latest report, it appears the policeman husband isn't entirely off the hook yet.

JMHO
fran

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071228/NEWS01/712280319

Motive in fatal shooting unclear
December 28, 2007

..............snip...............

Police continued to investigate, both with officers from the homicide department and from internal affairs.

Yvette Walker of the Police Department said police do not know what the motive was.

SuziQ
12-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Thank you Fran, Are Internal Affairs involved because a crime happened against the officer's family? Or are they involved because the officer is a suspect?

calidreamin
12-28-2007, 08:30 PM
I really think it is strange that a police officer would let his wife wait alone in the car at night in a bad area. I am very suspicious of the husband.

fran
12-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Thank you Fran, Are Internal Affairs involved because a crime happened against the officer's family? Or are they involved because the officer is a suspect?

IMO, it's probably a precaution........doesn't matter if the husband is a policeman, he's suspect, or POI, #1.

As far as I know, 'internal affairs' only investigates their own, ie police matters.

JMHO
fran

philamena
12-29-2007, 12:14 AM
I also hate to say it but this shooting sounds like a hit to me too.
Exactly the way 'Baretta's' wife was killed.
He left her in the car while he returned to the restaurant....

oh WUDGE, here's another one for ya. ;)

White Rain
12-29-2007, 01:14 AM
hmmmmmm...something doesn't quite seem on the up and up here to me!

TGIRecovered
12-29-2007, 03:38 AM

Shhhhh! Please-no-please-no!

It is so much more fun to discuss the crime without someone following everyone around nitpicking and twisting legal concepts to fit his purpose.

Yeah, I said that.

Susan

Taximom
12-29-2007, 06:33 AM
LOL, Susan. I guess what bothers me about that (any poster) is that I think we all know that stuff and that's not what I'm here to discuss anyway.

This one is sure being kept quiet though. Any pictures of the couple?

Filly
12-29-2007, 09:46 AM

Philamena, now we all know Bobby Blake the great child actor, and bizarre weirdness of a guy was innocent. That could happen. Sorry, O/T, but Bobby Blake been keeping a low profile. Internal Affairs will so be all over that cop.

mrsjonnob
12-29-2007, 10:32 AM
I really think it is strange that a police officer would let his wife wait alone in the car at night in a bad area. I am very suspicious of the husband.

Maybe she wasn't feeling well, so she waited in the car while he went to get her medicine?

Just speculation... I tend to think the husband had something to do with it too.

calidreamin
12-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Maybe she wasn't feeling well, so she waited in the car while he went to get her medicine?

Just speculation... I tend to think the husband had something to do with it too.

That is definatly possible mrsjonnob but it just strikes me as really strange. My husband would never allow me to sit in a car alone at night in a bad area and he isn't even a cop. I tend to think he had something to do with it but speculation is always good.:)

angelmom
12-29-2007, 11:52 AM
That is definatly possible mrsjonnob but it just strikes me as really strange. My husband would never allow me to sit in a car alone at night in a bad area and he isn't even a cop. I tend to think he had something to do with it but speculation is always good.:)

Although my money is on the husband, I can see my DH leaving me in the car thinking it would be safer. Usually if one of us has to run in to a gas station, etc., he does it if it is a bad area or at night and locks me in the car with the phone. I think he feels I am safer b/c if someone was robbing the store or something I could drive away and call 911. Also, when he used to have his concealed weapons permit, the gun was in the car. This officer very likely could have had a weapon in his car and felt he was leaving his wife in the safer place.

philamena
12-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Philamena, now we all know Bobby Blake the great child actor, and bizarre weirdness of a guy was innocent. That could happen. Sorry, O/T, but Bobby Blake been keeping a low profile. Internal Affairs will so be all over that cop.

Filly,
Hard to believe he got off. :furious:

MCDRAW
12-30-2007, 08:25 PM
It does seem strange that nothing was taken.

Filly
12-31-2007, 08:22 AM
Filly,
Hard to believe he got off. :furious:

That's Hollyweird for ya, Philamena. Wonder what's happening in this investigation of this poor woman's murder?

Filly
12-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Here's a link to a few video's concerning Sgt. Cobb. It seems he was in trouble at one point. Not sure how true this is, and I couldn't get the video fast enough. Worth a look maybe.http://behindthebluewall.blogspot.com/2007/12/mi-sgt-cobbs-wife-shot-dead-in-parking.html

MagicRose99
12-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Here's a link to a few video's concerning Sgt. Cobb. It seems he was in trouble at one point. Not sure how true this is, and I couldn't get the video fast enough. Worth a look maybe.http://behindthebluewall.blogspot.com/2007/12/mi-sgt-cobbs-wife-shot-dead-in-parking.html

<snip from your link>

One of the videos mentions that David Cobb was formerly charged with harrassment of and solicitation of sex from a minor, but was cleared, and another of the videos announces that Cobb IS now a person of interest in the murder of his wife Rose, but not a suspect.

oceanblueeyes
12-31-2007, 09:56 AM
Although my money is on the husband, I can see my DH leaving me in the car thinking it would be safer. Usually if one of us has to run in to a gas station, etc., he does it if it is a bad area or at night and locks me in the car with the phone. I think he feels I am safer b/c if someone was robbing the store or something I could drive away and call 911. Also, when he used to have his concealed weapons permit, the gun was in the car. This officer very likely could have had a weapon in his car and felt he was leaving his wife in the safer place.

I don't find that part odd at all. Maybe she wasn't feeling well and he went to the drugstore to get her some meds. Either OTC or prescription. Many times I will ride with my hubby and wait in the car while he runs in the grocery store, convenient store or drugstore. Now that this has happened and other unsuspecting women in my city have been targeted because they were alone in the car, I am not going to do that anymore.

I am still leaning that this was a botched carjacking by a younger person that may have known the area and been on foot milling around up to no good. I don't think Mrs. Cobb would ever open the door for anyone. Imo when she refused to open the door they fired through the passenger glass window out of anger.

I know no matter what I would never open my door to a thug or thugs that were trying to get inside of my car where I was.

It also explains why some witnesses scattered. I think somebody around that area knows who the shooter is and are afraid to get involved.

I hope LE gets a tip on their tip line even if the caller is anonymous.

imoo

SuziQ
12-31-2007, 12:23 PM

Great find on those videos.

LE has to have seen the video tapes by now. It would show whether there was any sort of confrontation or a walk up and shoot situation.

Taximom
12-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Hmm, their vehicle was a van too. I wonder how many carjackers choose to steal vans rather than cars? I guess it depends on what the carjacker needed...

I'm trying to give Cobb the benefit of the doubt here, but my brain is really struggling with this one.

Taximom
12-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Watching the video...no sign of carjacking or robbery.

No comment from him either? Hmph.

Taximom
12-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Interesting, I just noticed she's 47 and he's 37. I wonder how long they've been married.

TGIRecovered
01-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Hmm, their vehicle was a van too. I wonder how many carjackers choose to steal vans rather than cars? I guess it depends on what the carjacker needed...

I'm trying to give Cobb the benefit of the doubt here, but my brain is really struggling with this one.

I did not realize it was a van! Much less likely for the carjacker theory to be true, IMO. Just think... you want to 'jack a vehicle, if you choose a van there is no telling how many people are in it. I know you can't see thru the rear side windows of my van at night unless the rear inside lights are on. Also, if there were children in carseats it would be logical for one of the adults to stay out in the van with the kids rather than drag them all inside.

Years ago, there was a significant period of time in our marraige during which my cop-husband did not want to be married and didn't give a flip about my personal safety. Coincidentally, he is also younger than I am, by a little more than 8 years. I've no doubt that he would have chosen a pharmacy in a dangerous neighborhood and left me in the car, pregnant belly and all, the same way one might leave their old car on the street with the keys dangling from the ignition, hoping someone would steal it in order to collect the insurance for a nice downpayment on a new car.

It is truly by God's grace that we both weathered thru that awful time in our marraige. I mention this both to witness that I've seen the depths to which a marraige can disentigrate, and that while it did not culminate in murder for me, I can see how easily it could end in murder for others.

Of all people, a cop knows that a locked vehicle is no deterrent to a criminal. Windows can easily be "popped" in a second, without much noise. Definitely no need to shoot the window out. I do not believe that a cop would consider a locked vehicle to be sufficient protection from harm. IMO, He would not have left anything of value in there and in plain sight , like his gun or a wallet. Why did he leave his wife?

Also, it seems the shooting happened relatively soon after he went inside. Wouldn't most criminals expect that if he left the vehicle running, he intended to be right back out? If so, then why steal a cop's car...you know they carry a gun even off duty? Cop could have run back out, shooting at the fleeing van.

Susan

Filly
01-02-2008, 10:16 AM
TGI, thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm glad that you and your husband made it through such a truly bad time. My dad was a cop for almost 40 years and I was discussing this with my mom. "Daddy wouldn't even bring me through a bad neighborhood, period let alone stop and leave me in the car". A little off topic, but my child had to do something for a police based program and it was in an extremely bad neighborhood. My dad didn't let us go even though we were going in a marked police van. Anything can happen at any time. Hopefully they will get to the bottom of this. How would they know though his street car was a policeman's? Here they have a tiny shield like ornament used to go on your license plate. They now keep them in the back windows because they get stolen. Thank you again, TGI.

nanandjim
01-02-2008, 10:35 AM
...my money is on the husband...
My money is on the husband, too. I just do not believe that this was a carjacking gone wrong. I don't think that the woman would have resisted. I also think that they would have gotten the vehicle if it were an intended carjacking. Now, that I hear that it was a van, I really am skeptical. It sounds like a setup to me. I'd be real interested in knowing how much life insurance this woman had and also this guy's background. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he has money problems and is a womanizer, etc.

TGIRecovered
01-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Another bit of cop-trivia...It is my experience that many men is macho-type professions such as LE would rather puke than be seen driving a family mini-van.
My H drives his pick-up or his city-issued unmarked car when he is off-duty. Even the "unmarked car" is easily recognizeable to criminals. It's a Crown-Vic with computer and emergency grill-lights.
People recognize him as a cop all the time; even in shorts and t-shirt his bearing and straight-laced appearance scream "cop". He can't hide it. The gun-lump on the back of his waistline under his shirt is also a dead give-away.
I haven't seen a pic of the husband in this case. Does he have a "cop 'stache"? Was he known in that neighborhood as a cop?

Susan

Taximom
01-02-2008, 12:57 PM
TGIR, I too am glad you and your husband weathered the storm. I wish more couples could do that rather than kill or divorce.....

SuziQ
01-02-2008, 01:13 PM
47 seconds into the second video of the link Filly provided, It shows a quick clip of Cobb at a previous harrasment trial he was acquited in. Nice looking black guy, not sure if he comes off as a cop. Most do though in how they carry themselves. The first video says he's definitely a POI. But of course, all husbands are. In one of the clips it also shows the silver van with a shot out passenger side window.

http://behindthebluewall.blogspot.com/2007/12/mi-sgt-cobbs-wife-shot-dead-in-parking.html

I haven't come across anything new this morning. Has anyone else?

Taximom
01-02-2008, 01:27 PM
I took pictures of Cobb and the van from the videos. They aren't very clear, but if you can't view the video for some reason, here they are:
Cobb in court:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/Taximom/DSC02975.jpg
(It does appear in the video that he has a slight mustache, but nothing that screams "policeman" to me.)

Taximom
01-02-2008, 01:53 PM
I thought I brought WS down posting that last picture. Whew.

Here's some pics of the van. If you look closely you can see the passenger side front window is partially shattered:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/Taximom/DSC02980.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/Taximom/van2.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/Taximom/van3.jpg
This next one is very blurry but shows the van was parked in the middle parking area (not up by the store) AND almost under a very bright parking lot light (gray pole on the left), which was on her side.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/Taximom/van4.jpg

SuziQ
01-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Taxi, thank you so much for capturing those screen prints! I was wrong about the color and where the van was parked. I think I kept seeing a silver van in the vid and it stuck in my head.

Taximom
01-02-2008, 02:20 PM
You're welcome, SuziQ. I wish they were more clear.

Now I'm wondering if they had children. That's the only reason I'd have a van! lol

I hope the surveillance video captures something. I wonder if there was a discussion in the van about whether she should stay in the van or not. If this was pre-arranged and the hubby had anything to do with it, there have to have been phone calls, and someone waiting in the wings for the van to show up, etc.

lisag
01-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Another bit of cop-trivia...It is my experience that many men is macho-type professions such as LE would rather puke than be seen driving a family mini-van.
My H drives his pick-up or his city-issued unmarked car when he is off-duty. Even the "unmarked car" is easily recognizeable to criminals. It's a Crown-Vic with computer and emergency grill-lights.
People recognize him as a cop all the time; even in shorts and t-shirt his bearing and straight-laced appearance scream "cop". He can't hide it. The gun-lump on the back of his waistline under his shirt is also a dead give-away.
I haven't seen a pic of the husband in this case. Does he have a "cop 'stache"? Was he known in that neighborhood as a cop?

Susan

Thats funny, but true! My H is a cop and he all but goes into convulsions whever I mention the "V" word. I have 4 kids and it would be sooooo practical!

TGIRecovered
01-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the pics, taxi!

Nope, can't say that I would automaticly peg him as a cop. So much for that theory.

Susan

TGIRecovered
01-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Thats funny, but true! My H is a cop and he all but goes into convulsions whever I mention the "V" word. I have 4 kids and it would be sooooo practical!

LOL!
You must have a big SUV or something to haul 4 kids!
I only have two still at home but with both of them, their stuff, and their friends, we could not live without it!

I wonder if Cobb usually drove something besides the van? And what condition was his wife in that she'd rather wait outside than go in, considering the neighborhood? Could she have been sick or injured already?
I've been out of town for a few days and haven't kept up with the news.

Susan

Taximom
01-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Our neighbor is a detective and he drives a huge, silver SUV. They have 4 kids and won't buy a van! He's got the "look" too! lol

I was wondering if he was merely going in to get milk/bread etc, or a prescription for her if she was ill. It looked rainy out, so maybe he did just run in quickly.

Maybe someone was out to get him for those charges against him that were dropped. But then why not kill HIM?

My gut still says we have another "cob" here.

SuziQ
01-02-2008, 03:20 PM
I've been searching for more info regarding Cobb's previous harassment charge with no success.

Littledeer
01-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Bumping.

Any news on the investigation??

lisag
01-08-2008, 08:38 AM
LOL!
You must have a big SUV or something to haul 4 kids!
I only have two still at home but with both of them, their stuff, and their friends, we could not live without it!

We have an Expedition and an Envoy. The Envoy fits us all, but there's not alot of room for much more, so we usually take the Expedition when we go places... Still, everyone has to climb over seats to get in the back - it's such a pain... I think I will trade in my Envoy in the next year or so, amd I AM getting a van!!

Taximom
01-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Where's the local buzz on different news or topix forums about this case. I can't find anything, but I haven't really looked that deeply yet...

Littledeer
01-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Any new leads found? Is the LE still active on this case??

Littledeer
01-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Guess there have been no updates as no one has posted yet.

Why not? Isn't this being investigated by anyone???

SuziQ
01-22-2008, 08:05 PM
I have been following up daily and have not seen a thing.

Taximom
01-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Hmm. Guess who didn't show up at the vigil for Rose Cobb on 1-4-08?

See if you can guess before watching this video:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=6FBC19FDDEF08DD6A887FCF74C5CA424 ?contentId=5399283&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

:behindbar

Filly
01-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Hmm. Guess who didn't show up at the vigil for Rose Cobb on 1-4-08?

See if you can guess before watching this video:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=6FBC19FDDEF08DD6A887FCF74C5CA424 ?contentId=5399283&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

:behindbar

Her husband? I wonder if he's back on duty?

Taximom
01-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Her husband? I wonder if he's back on duty?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_15_9.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm824YYUS)

Filly
01-30-2008, 11:43 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_15_9.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm824YYUS)

And Bingo was his name O! Where IS he? Wonder if he still has his badge and firearm? I guess so as he hasn't be charged with a crime. Maybe he couldn't go and the theory was right that somebody he locked up is after him?Poor lady was murdered in cold blood just sitting in the car. Thanks for the update, Taxi Mom!

Taximom
04-14-2008, 11:31 PM
I didn't see this "reward" info link here, so thought I'd post it even though it's old...like this case. :(

DETROIT -- The family of a woman who was shot to death outside a CVS pharmacy is offering a $10,000 reward for any information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for her death. (more at link)

Where is the justice, even if the hubby that didn't go to her vigil didn't have her killed? I hope insurance money hasn't been paid out till this is solved.... Could this be another Drew Peterson situation? Cops covering for Cobb?

kline
04-15-2008, 03:29 AM
I certainly hope investigators are keeping their 'eye on the sparrow'.
This doesnt smell right.

joe jones
04-20-2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080420/NEWS02/80420026/1004

arrested

concernedperson
04-20-2008, 03:29 PM

arrested

Thanks Joe for the link. This was suspicious from the beginning that the husband hired someone. The hit man said he has killed 10 people.....must have been known around the area. Glad they are BOTH arrested.

MagicRose99
04-20-2008, 03:31 PM

arrested

<snip from link>
A Detroit police sergeant was arrested this morning on accusations that he hired a hit man to kill his wife in December in a CVS parking lot on the city's east side, police said.

Officers from the Detroit Police Special Response Team arrested Sgt. David Cobb without incident around 8 a.m. at his east side home. Cobb, who works with the department's Eastern District, is expected to be arraigned on the charges at 8 a.m. tomorrow.

<and>

The case broke open late Saturday night when officers from the multi-jurisdictional Violent Crimes Task Force arrested a 27-year-old man in Shelby Township, who allegedly confessed to authorities that he is a professional hit man responsible for 10 slayings. Police said the man told them that among his hits was the killing of Cobb's 47-year-old wife, Rose Cobb, on the night of Dec. 26 while she was sitting in a vehicle in a CVS parking lot on East Jefferson.

SuziQ
04-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the links everyone. This is great news. The entire thing smelled like a hit from the beginning.

Taximom
04-20-2008, 05:04 PM
:woohoo: Didn't we have this solved on 12/27/07? lol I'm glad they got the "cob".

Taximom
04-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Now, who are the other 9 mysteriously killed people?

RIP, Rose. I'm sorry you were married to a POS.

White Rain
04-20-2008, 05:57 PM
This is good news. I had a feeling this wasn't on the up and up from the very beginning.

SuziQ
04-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Now, who are the other 9 mysteriously killed people?

RIP, Rose. I'm sorry you were married to a POS.

Taxi, when I read your post a shiver went up my spine. One of the other nine might just be Tamara "Strawberry" Greene. Holy ****. I'm going to post todays links in her thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61707

SuziQ
04-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Video on the background of the hitman at the below link:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story.aspx?content_id=3fd2638b-bb32-449e-b672-05e959653489

ETA: the following videos that automatically starts up talks more about the case.

Taximom
04-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Taxi, when I read your post a shiver went up my spine. One of the other nine might just be Tamara "Strawberry" Greene. Holy ****. I'm going to post todays links in her thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61707

Ohhh, wow, SuziQ. You are good. I'll have to catch up on that thread. :eek:

concernedperson
04-20-2008, 08:36 PM
This whole thing is bizarre and as I have said in another post this hitman seemed to be known. I wouldn't be surprised at anything that develops from it. Thanks for the links SuziQ as it is mighty interesting.

joe jones
04-21-2008, 08:41 AM
http://159.54.239.117/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080421/NEWS06/804210335

The hitman has been named, he has said he has killed up to 10 people - all as a hired killer,

Taximom
04-21-2008, 08:53 AM
When bad cops get caught, how does this affect all the cases they worked on? I would think lawyers for defendants would have a field day when this happens. ESPECIALLY with this cop hiring a hit man! :eek:

It would also be interesting to see if someone else was convicted for any of these crimes this hitman is responsible for....

SuziQ
04-21-2008, 03:18 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080421/NEWS01/80421029

(snips)
The Detroit police sergeant accused of hiring a hit man to kill his wife was having an affair, a possible motive, police told the Free Press today.
Smothers said he met David Cobb in early December through the son of Cobb’s mistress, police said.

Smothers told police that Cobb offered him $10,000 of insurance money and they set up the 9 p.m. shooting time, when Cobb would be shopping inside the pharmacy, police said.

joe jones
04-21-2008, 04:26 PM
When bad cops get caught, how does this affect all the cases they worked on? I would think lawyers for defendants would have a field day when this happens. ESPECIALLY with this cop hiring a hit man! :eek:

It would also be interesting to see if someone else was convicted for any of these crimes this hitman is responsible for....

The accomplice in one of his crimes has been convicted, this crime involved shooting 3 people two died, I think the accomplice may have led LE to Smothers, or is at least assisting them

Smothers appears to be getting all his crimes off his chest for now, I wonder if he is giving up the others who hired him to kill,

Taximom
04-21-2008, 05:33 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080421/NEWS01/80421029

(snips)
The Detroit police sergeant accused of hiring a hit man to kill his wife was having an affair, a possible motive, police told the Free Press today.
Smothers said he met David Cobb in early December through the son of Cobb’s mistress, police said.

Smothers told police that Cobb offered him $10,000 of insurance money and they set up the 9 p.m. shooting time, when Cobb would be shopping inside the pharmacy, police said.

We SO TOTALLY CALLED THIS within hours of finding out about it, didn't we?

I feel sorry for Rose's family finding out for sure this is what happened.

joe jones
04-22-2008, 12:14 PM
http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1407567/ (http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1407567/)

you couldn't make this stuff up, Cobb is now saying his mistress and her son have set him up, the son is suspected of being the go between who arranged the deal between Cobb and the hitman,

I guess that will be his defence, that he never did anything, he never wanted his wife killed,

Taximom
04-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Yeah, they told him to take his wife to the drug store and have her wait in the van at 9:00 that night.

:rolleyes:

Taximom
04-22-2008, 12:24 PM
From the article though, it does sound like the mistress's (?!) son was a criminal too. (Probably how Cobb met her!)

fran
04-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Wow! I almost forgot about this case, it had been so quiet! Guess LE hadn't forgotten though. Good for them.:behindbar

IIRC, at the time of this incident, the Cutts thing had just gone down too. I know I was hesitant to accuse the husband because I was afraid I was becoming bias against LE because of Cutts.

Guess policemen aren't immune from having evil thoughts.:eek:

I'm glad they have this guy off the streets. Both Cobb and the hitman. It'll be interesting to see this unfold.

JMHO
fran

joe jones
04-22-2008, 01:19 PM
From the article though, it does sound like the mistress's (?!) son was a criminal too. (Probably how Cobb met her!)

he is also about to be arrested and probably charged for helping set the deal up, I wonder if the mistress is also being looked at,

Smothers is talking quite freely so they will know who played which role, and how involved they were in the crime,

Taximom
04-22-2008, 01:23 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if they were all involved, but if Cobb thinks he can blame it all on them claiming he's totally innocent, when HE was the one in the drug store at the appropriate time...I think he's got another lesson to learn.

joe jones
04-22-2008, 01:30 PM
He has no other defence, so he will go with what he has got, I think he was involved, that he was the one who wanted her killed, maybe he and his mistress cooked up the plot together, and the son got into the mix as he was the one with connections to the hit man,

there may also be others who were involved, that have yet to be arrested, but I think Cobbs was probably the one who began the whole plan to have Rose killed,

It will be a hard sell to a jury that he is an innocent man, plus one or more people including Smothers may be willing to talk, some of them for a plea agreement,

Smothers won't be getting a plea, he appears to have fessed up to killing at least 7 people,

nanandjim
04-22-2008, 02:24 PM
He has no other defence, so he will go with what he has got, I think he was involved, that he was the one who wanted her killed, maybe he and his mistress cooked up the plot together, and the son got into the mix as he was the one with connections to the hit man,

there may also be others who were involved, that have yet to be arrested, but I think Cobbs was probably the one who began the whole plan to have Rose killed,

It will be a hard sell to a jury that he is an innocent man, plus one or more people including Smothers may be willing to talk, some of them for a plea agreement,

Smothers won't be getting a plea, he appears to have fessed up to killing at least 7 people,
It will be interesting to see if they have phone records tying Cobbs to Smothers or the stepson. I think that it was the cop who orchestrated the murder. How else would the hitman have known where the guy was going to be with his wife on this particular night at this particular time. How else would the hitman know that the cop would leave his wife in the car? Sorry, but I believe that the cop arranged the hit.

joe jones
04-22-2008, 05:14 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24259977/

wow, Cobbs released without charges, prosecutors say not enough evidence

SuziQ
04-22-2008, 06:06 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24259977/

wow, Cobbs released without charges, prosecutors say not enough evidence

Wow is right. There is still the connection to Cobbs girlfriends son. Could the hit have been ordered by Cobbs girlfriend? Weird.

SuziQ
04-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Well someone ordered the hit because Marzell Black was charged with soliciting the murder. Is Mr. Black the girlfriends son?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080422/NEWS01/80422020

(snip)
Worthy said Vincent Smothers, 27, of Shelby Township, who told police he is a professional hit man, was charged today in the Dec. 26 shooting death of Cobb’s wife, Rose Cobb. A second man, Marzell Shawn Black, 20, of Detroit, was charged today with solicitation of a murder, a felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

Police have said Black set up the slaying of Rose Cobb.

SuziQ
04-23-2008, 01:08 AM
At the below linked video the reporter states that Marzell Black is the son of Cobbs girlfriend.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story.aspx?content_id=e277b0b7-4ac4-40e6-9062-6640bb1ada7c

The nephews of Rose Cobb say that when their aunt was murdered, they thought her husband, Sgt. David Cobb, had something to do with the crime.

Now that's he's been released, they say they're afraid something could happen to them.

TOM WAIT REPORTS IN THE VIDEO PLAYER ON THE RIGHT

Taximom
04-23-2008, 08:28 AM
I still think he had something to do with it. He could have set them up without them realizing it, if you know what I mean.

I know, I know, just because he's a cheater doesn't mean he's a killer. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the updates.

joe jones
04-23-2008, 09:00 AM
I still think he had something to do with it, LE just have to work a bit harder to connect the dots,

and being a police officer he knows how to cover his tracks, so he probably left no evidence that would connect him to the crime like telephone calls between he and the hit man, or he and the mistresses son,

I think they will eventually get enough to charge him, but for now at least they have this hit man off the streets, and the man who set up the hit, the net will close in time on all the other participants

SuziQ
04-23-2008, 09:51 AM
In that group I see only two people who would have had motive to kill Rose. And that would be her husband or his girlfriend. At least Cobb is involved because how would Smother's (as others pointed out) have known that Rose would have been sitting in her car all by herself at the CVS?

joe jones
04-23-2008, 10:39 AM
The only way the hit man would know where Rose was would be via Cobbs or the mistress, maybe the mistress knew his movements, made sure she knew his movements for the hit to be carried out, Maybe Cobbs and the mistress were in on it together,

for now I think he for sure is involved, the only reason I would discount him is if the mistress is shown to have wanted Rose dead so she could have her husband, and Cobbs knew nothing of it,

LE are being very secretive about the investigation, and are keeping quiet until they are ready to make arrests, so if the mistress is a suspect we may not know until she is arrested or not,

http://www.wxyz.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=3fd2638b-bb32-449e-b672-05e959653489

what Smothers is facing

nanandjim
04-23-2008, 10:52 AM
In that group I see only two people who would have had motive to kill Rose. And that would be her husband or his girlfriend. At least Cobb is involved because how would Smother's (as others pointed out) have known that Rose would have been sitting in her car all by herself at the CVS?
I was one poster who pointed that out. ;) I can also tell you that if I were Cobb's girlfriend, and I were innocent, you can bet that I would be talking really fast to the police to make sure that I was not implicated in this murder in any way.

fran
04-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Well someone ordered the hit because Marzell Black was charged with soliciting the murder. Is Mr. Black the girlfriends son?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080422/NEWS01/80422020

(snip)
Worthy said Vincent Smothers, 27, of Shelby Township, who told police he is a professional hit man, was charged today in the Dec. 26 shooting death of Cobb’s wife, Rose Cobb. A second man, Marzell Shawn Black, 20, of Detroit, was charged today with solicitation of a murder, a felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

Police have said Black set up the slaying of Rose Cobb.

IF the hitman never actually talked directly to Cobb, it would be pretty difficult to prove he's behind the hit. It is possible, IMO, that the gf's son hired the gunman on his own to help his mom. IF there's drugs involved, (with the son, Black) all bets are off.

Drugs make people do all sorts of weird things. Paranoia, stupid schemes, etc. I'm not sayin' Cobb didn't do it, but the way his wife was murdered, it immediately put suspicion on Cobb himself. I don't know that Cobb would have been that stupid, IF he'd wanted to do away with his wife.

It just seems there are too many ways the crime COULD have gone down to keep the eyes off the husband. But..........someone high on drugs might think the scheme was believeable, when to any sane person looking from the outside in, the story had too many holes and pointed directly at the husband. Or, IF Cobb was right and that was the intention all along, framing HIM for the crime!:eek:

JMHO
fran

joe jones
04-23-2008, 11:26 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/440/story/587415.html

prelim May 1st for Smothers and Black

Taximom
05-22-2008, 01:06 AM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080520/NEWS01/805200379
Alleged hit man will face trial in 3 killings
Shelby Twp. resident says he's a hit man
The man accused in her slaying, Vincent Smothers, 27, of Shelby Township, told police that David Cobb hired him to kill her.

and

Marzell Black, 20, of Detroit, who is suspected of setting up the Rose Cobb shooting, also was bound over for trial Monday on a charge of solicitation of murder, a felony punishable by life in prison. He sat next to Smothers during the hearings, but neither man spoke to each other.
Black told police that he met David Cobb through his mother, Sheila Black, and Cobb asked him if he would kill his wife, Detroit police Sgt. Michael Russell testified. Black, in a statement that was read by Russell in court, said he couldn't do the killing, but, "I would holler at one of my guys, V," meaning Smothers.
A few weeks later, Smothers, David Cobb and Black all met and planned the killing, according to Black's statement.

(more plus pic at link)

TGIRecovered
09-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Detroit Police sergeant found dead in Sterling Heights park

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080927/NEWS01/80927009

A suspended Detroit police sergeant whose wife was shot to death in December was found dead near a bike path in Dodge Park in Sterling Heights on Friday night.

Sgt. David Cobb, 38, hanged himself, Detroit police spokesman James Tate and Sterling Heights police told the Free Press.

I guess that's the only way to be sure a wife-murdering cop won't kill the next one too. The world is a safer place with one less COBB walking the streets.

May Rose rest in peace.

Susan

MagicRose99
09-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Good riddance to rubbish...

Rest in peace Rose.

PattyCake
09-28-2008, 01:28 AM
coward, pure coward. Was it worth it you piece of s#%t?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,429229,00.html

Bobbisangel
09-28-2008, 02:17 AM
I guess he thought no one would ever find out that he set the whole thing up.
I wonder why he wanted her dead? I look at how this whole thing turned out and want to ask him that same question...was it worth it. Now they are both dead...it doesn't even make any sense. Maybe he should have just shot himself or hung himself in the first place and left Rose to live her life. He really was a coward. He couldn't stand the heat when everything started coming down on him. Guess he didn't like the idea of going to prison :furious:

MagicRose99
09-28-2008, 10:21 AM
I guess he thought no one would ever find out that he set the whole thing up.
I wonder why he wanted her dead? I look at how this whole thing turned out and want to ask him that same question...was it worth it. Now they are both dead...it doesn't even make any sense. Maybe he should have just shot himself or hung himself in the first place and left Rose to live her life. He really was a coward. He couldn't stand the heat when everything started coming down on him. Guess he didn't like the idea of going to prison :furious:

According to the article, he was having an affair and decided he wanted Rose's life insurance...

Scum... I'm sure not many tears will be shed over this... this... scum.

SuziQ
09-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Cobb may have felt cornered. Looks LE was moving in on him again.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080926/NEWS01/80926109/1003/news

(snip)
Detroit police sources told the Free Press tonight that investigators were making significant progress toward presenting new evidence against Cobb to Wayne County prosecutors.

SuziQ
10-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Smothers name has come up in relation to Tamara Greene's case. We all thought he may have been connected.
Tamara "Strawberry" Greene's death linked to Detroit Mayor? Thread #2 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/21107774/detail.html (http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/21107774/detail.html)

(snip)
But the group of officers has now testified that that police brass shut down the investigation when Kilaptrick's name surfaced as an associate to a self-confessed hit man, Vincent Smothers. It is alleged that Smothers may have been hired to kill Greene.