PDA

View Full Version : Sailor molests 13 year old on flight

believe09
01-24-2008, 09:36 AM
never, ever let your children out of your sight...this is unbelievable-kudos to the flight attendant and the sailor's wife!!!!

http://www.kitv.com/news/15124604/detail.html

JanetElaine
01-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Gotta love his wife. What a dumb idiot this guy is.

This brought up a question for me though - how do we teach our children that it is okay to speak up when someone does something like this? We don't want them pretending to be asleep and have it continue.
How can a child stop this and how do we teach them?

Mr. E
01-24-2008, 11:04 AM
You tell them not to be afraid or embarrassed...if someone is touching them and they feel scared or uncomfortable, they have the right to scream, yell, whatever they want to draw attention.

Now, you telling and them doing -- that's a different story.

JanetElaine
01-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Now, you telling and them doing -- that's a different story.

Exactly. So how do we entice them to actually act?

j2mirish
01-24-2008, 11:13 AM
I dont understand why she and her parent werent together--not placing blame on the parent- dont misunderstand me, but I would not have moved to a seat that I could not keep an eye on my daughter-

kahskye
01-24-2008, 11:19 AM
I dont understand why she and her parent werent together--not placing blame on the parent- dont misunderstand me, but I would not have moved to a seat that I could not keep an eye on my daughter-

The plane wasn't full, so the girl probably wanted a window seat. If this were my child, I would have taken the seat next to her rather than let a stranger sit there.

Taximom
01-24-2008, 11:21 AM
What a creep! Kudos to his wife, too.

I don't know why these parents let their daughter sit by herself. One of them should have stayed with her. That's ridiculous. Thank God for that flight attendant.

Paladin
01-24-2008, 11:49 AM
What a creep! Kudos to his wife, too.

I don't know why these parents let their daughter sit by herself. One of them should have stayed with her. That's ridiculous. Thank God for that flight attendant.

I was actually thinking kudos as well to the attentive flight attendant.

paddy01
01-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Good for the wife hope she stands her ground. My question is, is this the first time this guy has done this or is this the first time he's been caught?
Authorities need to speak to children living in his home. Sick pig!

Texana
01-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Disgusting!

I would have had to be held back forcibly from going after him.

Thank God for the flight attendant~as said already.

galvino
01-24-2008, 07:02 PM
You know, I can unfortunately put myself in this girl's shoes. Even tho there were grownups in the house when a family member did the same to me, I would close my eyes and feign sleep, retreating into myself, because I was scared and thought if I did that it would end sooner. Of course, this was in the 70's when we never spoke about good vs bad touch, so I don't know if I would have reacted diff if I had been 'cautioned' by my family.

Interestingly, this family member POS subsequently shot & killed his own daughter for having a boyfriend in college, (but I know he abused her) was then diagnosed with schizophrenia, put into a hospital where he married someone he met there and was then released. I heard years later he was arrested for fondling neighborhood girls, but I don't know what ever happened to him. Would love to find out where he is now!

My family NEVER talked about this event & I didn't tell them about my encounters for years. So glad that people speak out and ACT now.

Bobbisangel
01-24-2008, 07:06 PM
What a lowlife piece of scum. I hope they throw the book at him. If the parent and daughter wanted different seats the parent should have a least sat close by where he/she could keep an eye on the daughter.

Filly
01-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Exactly. So how do we entice them to actually act?

Whenever the situation arises or just in talking let them know that NO adult EVER at ANY TIME is allowed to make them uncomfortable. It is alright to be disrespectful. Never be afraid to err on judgement and trust their instincts. It's an ongoing process, JE. Always let them know they are empowered. In this instance that poor kid was plain afraid and if nobody intervened she'd have lived with that. Oh, but I'm overprotective for walking my daughter to the bathroom on the train or switching seats on a flight from paris cause some creep strikes up converstation with a 10 year old. Asking her all kinds of questions. Thankfully I empowered her to the point my kid said "Sir, that inappropriate and none of your business". This world scares me.

JanetElaine
01-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Whenever the situation arises or just in talking let them know that NO adult EVER at ANY TIME is allowed to make them uncomfortable. It is alright to be disrespectful. Never be afraid to err on judgement and trust their instincts. It's an ongoing process, JE. Always let them know they are empowered. In this instance that poor kid was plain afraid and if nobody intervened she'd have lived with that. Oh, but I'm overprotective for walking my daughter to the bathroom on the train or switching seats on a flight from paris cause some creep strikes up converstation with a 10 year old. Asking her all kinds of questions. Thankfully I empowered her to the point my kid said "Sir, that inappropriate and none of your business". This world scares me.

This world only started scaring me when I had my daughter, lol. You're right about it being an ongoing process, and that's also what I'm doing, well at least trying to do, with our DD. Tell her amongst other things that it is okay to question an adults actions out loud if they make her uncomfortable. I guess that's it.... there's nothing more we can do for our children than that... tell them and hope they'll act on it.

Elphaba
01-25-2008, 01:02 AM
If this was a late evening flight from Hawaii, more than likely he took advantage of her under the cover of dim light... those flights always turn the lights way down low because the flight is long. And yeah, usually it's everyone stretching out... but ya know that mother could have been right beside her, asleep and that guy would have went about touching her, because creeps like him, no very little boundaries. And... if it wasn't her, the creep would have probably found someone else to take advantage of. More than likely, it wasn't his first time...

MeoW333
01-25-2008, 04:56 AM
If a flight isn't crowded, a lot of people move seats. The first time i flew by myself i was 13.
Thumbs up to the stewardess for being so vigilante!!
Hopefully the pervert gets a rude awakening, it's good to know his wife won't allow him back in the house and not standing by him. I wonder if his wife ever suspected anything before this..

Belinda
08-04-2010, 09:42 AM
I wasn't able to find much on the prosecution of this one.

Shawn Michael Cole

Federal Custody
Sentence Date: Unknown

Offenses:
Sexual Abuse of a Minor
Abusive Sexual Contact

Sentence: Unknown

Projected Release Date: 03/17/2014